• Published 17th May 2021
  • 838 Views, 74 Comments

Guardian Angel - Absentialucci



Trixie never intended to hurt anycreature... it was all just a part of the act! Why couldn't ponies see that?

  • ...
4
 74
 838

Chapter 16

As their kiss lengthened, Rainbow found herself thinking back to the last time she and Twilight had talked about Trixie. It was just after Rainbow had saved her life, and Twilight called her in for ‘preparatory training’ as she called it. Rainbow had rolled her eyes, and gone just to make her feel better.

“Now, Rainbow. Given how much damage Trixie caused with the alicorn amulet… there’s a few things I wanted to touch up on with you. As I’m sure you’re aware, your weather magic is part of the reason you’re able to fly.”
Rainbow had chuckled.

“Pssh, yeah. Duh. The better you are with weather magic, the easier it is for you to fly. C’mon Twi, I’ve known that since like… forever.”
Twilight was shaking her head.

“No no, you don’t understand. Your wings specifically channel your latent magic, thereby reducing pressure and making it possible for your wings to carry you.”
Rainbow was staring at Twilight, eyes partially glazed.

“Your wings are the focus point of your weather magic, making them magical in nature, similarly to a Unicorn’s horn.”
“Ohhhh…”
Rainbow said, feigning like she understood.
Twilight sighed.

“Anyways, magic is a fundamental force of the universe, and thus, magic can impact magic. It’s why a shield spell can deflect, not only physical objects, but magical spells as well.Well… more dissipate than deflect, but same basic thing.”
“Oooookay Twi, and how does this impact me?”

“Because, in the event that another Pony is attacking you with magic, you can defend yourself, not only by avoiding the spells, but dissipating them forcefully.”
That perked Rainbow’s interest.
“And how would I do that?”
Twilight smiled, having finally gotten Rainbow’s attention.

“Well, as I said before, your wings channel your latent weather magic. So, since magic can have an impact on magic, applying force directly to the manifestation of the spell can cause it to divert, separate or even dissipate entirely into the leylines of Equus.”
Rainbow had stared at Twilight.
“So… if I, say, slashed my wing through the spell coming at me…”
Twilight’s smile grew even larger.
“Exactly.”

Rainbow came back to the present when Trixie finally released their lips, the need for oxygen forcing them to part.
“Oh… wow…”
Trixie panted. Rainbow couldn’t help but smirk.

“As much as I love you clinging to me, we should probably clear the center. Give the others a chance to dance.”

Rainbow gently guided a dazed Trixie off the floor amidst the cheering and hoof stomping, and led her to a quieter corner of the ball.
“You uh… okay Moonbeam?”

Trixie answered by lunging at her, and kissing her again.

Rainbow allowed herself to enjoy the kiss, before gently pulling away.

“Heh heh. Somepony’s eager.”

Trixie’s eyes glittered.

“How could I not be?!”

She exclaimed.

“I was just kissed by Rainbow Dash! Beautiful mare, Wonderbolt performer and savior of Equestria!”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow.

“Oh, so it’s just for the status eh?”

Trixie blanched.

“No no! That’s not what I meant! I-I only…”

Rainbow calmed her down with a nuzzle.

“Chill Trix, it’s okay. I get it.”

“Do you though? It’s… it’s very surreal.”

“Hey, I’m just as nervous as you.”

A flicker of insecurity darkened Rainbow’s expression.

“I know it was sudden and in the heat of the moment but…”

Trixie silenced her with a hoof.

“Rainbow, I want this. Okay? I want to figure this out with you.”

Rainbow let out a sigh of relief.

“Good… good. Now, what do you say to us taking a breather, then hitting the floor again? I think there’ll be a slow dance soon. It’s… not really my style but…”

“Say no more. I agree.”

Rainbow smiled warmly, before they both stood up and headed back to the bar. Nopony antagonized them now. It would be social suicide to do so after the performance the two had just given.

***

In a secluded and cleared area of Canterlot Castle, near Princess Cadence’s temporary quarters, Chrysalis poured over notes and maps. She had markings indicating which sections of Canterlot she had thoroughly infiltrated, areas marked as not being possible to infiltrate, and zones in the process of being infiltrated. Her plan required timing and accurate data. As soon as she made her move, subtlety would be impossible. She would be in open warfare with Equestria.

Chrysalis preferred fighting wars on her terms. Keeping the enemy occupied and unable to think.

“What’s the status of Equestria’s high military command?”

She asked into the flurry of activity behind her, a Changeling commander responded.

“Princess Cadence’s entire personal guard has been neutralized and replaced, Cadence herself is kept in the crystal mines below Canterlot.”

Another Changeling looked up from his reports.

“Princess Luna’s personal attendant is being watched, but it is unlikely that we will be able to replace her without the princess’s knowledge. Infiltration Team Canthus is requesting further instructions.”

Chrysalis considered that.

“Tell them to pull out, leave only those necessary to keep up appearances, any further action may alert the princess. She is watching for an external threat after all, and by the time she realizes her mistake, it’ll be too late.”

“Yes my queen.”

The Changeling rushed off into the darkness to relay her orders.

“And what of the elements?”

Chrysalis knew that the elements of harmony were the biggest threat to her plans, but she was no fool. She had watched from the background for centuries. She knew Princess Celestia almost as well as the Alicorn knew herself. She had seen the rise and passing of generations of element bearers. She had watched as they had soundly defeated or beaten back attack, after attack. But she now knew that they were only powerful when they were all together.

The cooperation and friendship between the bearers made them impossible to defeat. At least in a head-on battle.

“Well?”

She pressed her commanders.

“Based on the latest intelligence from Elytra, they are all present in Canterlot.”

Chrysalis nodded, waiting for him to continue.

“However, our network detected tension between them.”

Chrysalis looked up from the maps, giving the commander her undivided attention. He swallowed nervously under her penetrating gaze.

“There was a flood of jealousy detected from the one known as ‘Applejack’ aimed towards ‘Rainbow Dash.’”

“And… what is the cause of this… jealousy? Our network always pegged them as close.”

The commander continued.

“The source of the jealousy seems to be a Unicorn illusionist known as Trixie Lulamoon. An orphaned daughter to a minor noble within Canterlot, and a tavern wench. She was recently released from prison with a reduced sentence.”

The commander pulled out a folder with notes and pictures.

“It seems she was recently befriended by Princess Cadence, who pushed for her to be released with community service.”

Chrysalis logged that information into her head, she would have to either replace this ‘Trixie,’ or keep away when disguised as the princess of love.

“Understood, Commander. But what is the reason behind this jealousy?”

The commander neatly folded up the folder, and slipped it back onto the pile of files on prominent figures of the operation.

“Applejack and Rainbow Dash have been friends for nearly their whole lives. The only friend closer to Rainbow Dash herself is the Pegasus known as ‘Fluttershy.’ Our network has long been assessing a developing attraction between the two. It would seem that this ‘Trixie’ caught the eye of Rainbow Dash instead. Applejack did not take the news well, and hasn’t spoken to Rainbow Dash since.”

“Interesting…”

It seemed like the elements were helping do her job for her. The lingering animosity could be exploited further.

“Indeed my queen. As it stands right now, Rainbow Dash and Trixie are dancing together in the ballroom. Rarity is there too. She seems to be the one that most actively encouraged the two to get together.”

“And what of the other element bearers?”

The changeling neatly pulled more files out of the pile.

“Fluttershy is doing one last practice run with her orchestra of birds for the opening ceremony at the wedding proper. Twilight Sparkle is with Princess Celestia, greeting the guests at the dance. As for Pinkie Pie…”

The commander trailed off.

“What of her?”

Chrysalis’s tone was frosty.

“We… do not know. Pinkie Pie is impossible to get a beed on. She seemingly teleports much like a unicorn. The only things we’ve managed to pull up on her is that she’s hyperactive, sporadic, loves parties, and isn’t often understood by her friends.”

“You said parties attracted her, yes?”

The commander dipped his head.

“She can’t resist them, my queen.”

Chrysalis stood up from her seated position.

“Commander Prothorax, I have my next set of orders.”

Commander Prothorax snapped to attention, and silently awaited her orders.

“Ensure that something keeps Fluttershy away for as long as possible with her birds. Have an up and coming member of the Morphological Class take control of this operation. If they do well, they can look forward to a promotion. Additionally, have two specialists of the class to take the forms of Trixie and Rainbow Dash. Have them make a scene just in view of Applejack’s stall. Make it a good scene. Go as far as the rules of decency within Canterlot allow. Then have them make their way into the ball. I trust the two will know how to properly disappear into the crowd and not draw further attention. Especially from the two host forms.”

Chrysalis exhaled sharply. It was nearly time.

“Thirdly, it is time for Princess Cadence to oversee her final preparations for the wedding coming up at sunset. Applejack has her people working on the food, it’s time for her to give her last look over the banquet. The Wonderbolts will have to get ready. I expect them to call Rainbow Dash over to change into her uniform. I will quietly slip into the ball and call Rarity aside to dress me in my wedding dress. Fluttershy will be in too much of a hassle getting her birds in order and in position for her part, as for Pinkie Pie…”

Chrysalis allowed a smile to grace her features.

“Take a group of changelings to start up a party in another part of the city. Make it a loud, obnoxious party. One that will surely attract Pinkie Pie.”

Commander Prothorax snapped a salute, then paused.

“What of Twilight and Trixie, my queen?”

Chrysalis yawned and stretched.

“Oh, I know just how to handle Twilight Sparkle. She knew Cadence the most of the six. I know how to play it up, make her go insane and snap. Her friends will abandon her, as will her brother, when she goes as far to call the poor, stressed bride to be evil. She has already gotten on the nerves of her friends with her insistence that things aren’t right. They suspect she’s just being selfish around her brother. And Trixie…”

She opened her eyes, and turned her gaze on the commander.

“She will be a valuable bargaining chip. I suspect you know exactly what I mean.”

The commander nodded his head, then lowered himself into a bow.

“It will be done, my queen.”

“Good.”

Chrysalis’s horn lit up, and her natural, chitinous form burned away, until Cadence stood before them all.”

“This day… is going to be perfect.”

***

Applejack quietly fumed to herself. Couldn’t Rainbow see that Trixie was no different than she had been all those years ago in Ponyville? And not to mention the whole situation with the Alicorn Amulet! Applejack would be the first to admit that magic was not her strongest subject, but even she could see that the amulet was evil!

“Lands sake Rainbow…”

She muttered, kicking at her stall. She sighed, and looked up at the sun. Just starting its descent. It was almost time for her to do the last checkup of the food.

“Should probably start cleaning up…”

She started putting away her fares, there wasn’t much interest anyways. She’d barely be breaking even from hauling the cart out here. As she was getting ready to hitch herself to the cart, a flash of movement caught her eye. Curiously, she stopped and looked around. Then she froze. There was Rainbow Dash… she ignored the tap dance her heart did at the sight of her old friend. There was another pony with her…

“Trixie…”

Applejack said underneath her breath, with enough menace that it even surprised her. She watched the pair as they seemed to glance around, before Rainbow pressed Trixie up against the wall of a nearby building. Applejack’s eyes widened, and she felt herself tense.

Rainbow had pressed her lips to the unicorn’s neck. Trixie seemed to exhale sharply, as she arched her back and provided more access to her neck. Rainbow moved up her neck, and found her lips, and they pressed deeply into each other.

Applejack felt her eyes sting, but she couldn’t bear to turn away from the scene before her. As their kiss lengthened, Trixie wrapped her forelegs around Rainbow, and found her wing joints. Rainbow gasped, then growled with delight. Her wings flaring out. Applejack had seen enough. Her vision went blurry, and she dropped her gaze. Silently she pulled her hat down, turned around and marched towards the kitchens, leaving her stall behind.

She had work to do.

***

Pinkie Pie was bouncing along the streets of Canterlot, looking for something to do before the upcoming wedding. Suddenly, her tail stiffened, her eye twitched, and she started vibrating with energy.

“Whoah! Stiff tail, twitchy eye and unexplainable vibrations? That can only mean one thing! Somepony is having a party! And not the usual kind of party, but the party that the grand author wants me at to keep me occupied! Those are the best kinds of parties!”

She disappeared in a poof of confetti and cotton candy.

***

Rarity hummed to herself, enjoying the mood and atmosphere of the ballroom. Octavia and her string quartet were really setting the mood. She could see couples of all shapes and sizes pairing up to dance. But she had her eyes on two in particular.

I’m glad Trixie took my advice. That dance was simply delightful! And Rainbow! I had no idea she knew how to dance so!

Rarity giggled and danced on her front hooves.

“Ms. Belle?”

Rarity’s ears twitched and swiveled.

There’s no way that could be…

She turned around and found herself face to face with Princess Cadence.

“Your majesty!”

Rarity was quick to kneel before her.

“Oh, enough of that. I actually wanted you to dress me in my gown. The ceremony is coming up after all.”

“Of course your majesty! Please, allow me to escort you!”

Rarity quickly got up and began leading the princess out of the ballroom.

“Now where might the groom to be be at?”

“Oh, Shiny isn’t feeling too well.”

Rarity gasped.

“He’s not getting cold hooves, is he?”

“No, no of course not!”

Cadence laughed.

“No, it’s just the shield spell around the city. It’s taking a lot out of him.”

Rarity nodded in understanding.

“Oh, I do hope he’ll be able to keep his hooves under him at the wedding!”

Cadence chuckled.

“I’m sure he’ll be fine.”

Rarity happily led her the rest of the way to her boutique. It was such an honor to have the Princess in her presence!

***

“Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! Stop, please stop. If-if that’s okay that is. Mew.”

Fluttershy squeaked to a halt.

“Uhm, sir. I-I’m sorry to ask this but… you seem to be interrupting my practice session! Please let us finish!”

There was a troublesome squirrel who seemed very interested in startling the birds. It was honestly understandable. Life must be so dull sometimes as a squirrel. And this would be the perfect opportunity for mischief.

“Please Mr. Squirrel, I really must insist on you leaving.”

Fluttershy squeaked when he sent an angry chitter at her. Then she paused.

“Wait… what did you say?”

The squirrel chittered again.

“I-I can’t understand what you’re saying! Oh dear, I-I’m sorry! I thought I had studied enough but I guess I hadn’t!”

The squirrel seemed to stare at her, then smacked himself in the face with a paw.

“Oh, please don’t do that! You’ll hurt yourself!”

***

Twilight frantically scanned the remaining guests.

Finally! I’m free!

She trotted away from her position of welcoming. Something wasn’t right. Cadence wasn’t acting right… she was almost… mean.

She… didn’t even do our sunshine dance!

Twilight had felt stung at first, but any time she tried to talk to Cadence, she was busy with the preparations for the wedding. Applejack offered her a sample, and Twilight had seen her toss it in the garbage! Applejack had brushed it off as her just being stressed. Small things like that had continued, and Twilight was eternally suspicious. Finally, the last straw.

“I know I saw her mess with my brother’s head. His eyes went all wonky!”

But again, nopony had believed her. And now the wedding was nearly upon them. She had to call Cadence out! Maybe she’d been tainted by something!

Twilight was acutely aware of Trixie finding the Alicorn Amulet in a simple store. If such dark and dangerous relics were so easy to come by, surely Cadence might’ve come into contact with one!

Troubled, Twilight noticed Cadence trotting off with Rarity. She set her mind, and followed. She’d get to the bottom of this.

***

As the slow dance came to an end, Rainbow and Trixie were once again breathing heavily. But Trixie didn’t mind. Nothing else mattered to her, and she felt as if she was floating. She stared deeply into Rainbow’s eyes.

“Ahem! Sorry to interrupt you two but… we need to get ready for your performance, Rainbow Dash.”

That was a voice Trixie didn’t know. She turned to see another Pegasus with a golden coat, orang eyes and a vivid orange mane with brilliant amber stripes.

“Captain!”

Rainbow snapped to attention, the captain saluted her back.

“Rainbow Dash. Are you ready for the performance?”

“Sure thing Spitfire. Heh heh. Sorry, lost track of time.”

Spitfire turned her orange eyes onto Trixie.

“Oh? And who’s this fine young mare?”

There was a glint of amusement in the captain’s eyes.

“This is Trixie.”

Rainbow answered for her.

“She’s… well, she’s my marefriend now.”

Trixie felt a thrill of excitement.

Marefriend!

She couldn’t resist the giggle. Spitfire chuckled.

“Nice to meet you then. Any friend of Dash’s is a friend of mine.”

She offered a hoof in greeting. Tentatively, Trixie touched hers to the captain’s.

“Do you mind if we talk in private for a second, Dash?”

Rainbow looked confused for a moment, but slowly nodded.

“Come on then, it’ll only be a moment.”

Trixie followed behind her curiously. Once they were out of earshot, Spitfire turned her fiery gaze on her. There was an intensity that Trixie didn’t quite understand. And behind that intense flame, there was wisdom. Trixie felt a wave of respect for this clearly distinguished captain.

“Ma’am?”

She asked.

“You’re not military, don’t call me that. Hold still a moment while I get a good look at you.”

Trixie was still, but held the Wonderbolt’s gaze. After a while, it softened.

“Well, at least I know you’ll be able to handle her. Rainbow wouldn’t stay with a pony who didn’t challenge her. Understand?”

Trixie hesitated.

“What do you mean?”

The Wonderbolt sighed.

“Look, kid. I’ve read the report. I know you were released recently.”

Trixie sucked in a breath.

“Don’t worry, I’m not here to take you back. From what I’ve heard, you’ve been an outstanding citizen since. But I warn you. If you harm a single feather on that Pegasus, you won’t just answer to me. You’ll answer to all of us. Rainbow Dash is like a little sister to us all. Understand?”

Trixie stiffened, then nodded. Still keeping eye contact with the fiery Pegasus.

“I wouldn’t dream of it. Trixie owes her entire existence to her. She saved my life, and I don’t mean just from the timberwolves… Trixie was… humbled, while in prison. She has come to understand that she’s taken many things for granted. And now she wishes to atone. Dashie… gave her that chance.”

The Wonderbolt hadn’t stopped staring at her.

“Very well, Trixie. I believe you. But just know, we’ll be watching you.”

Trixie inclined her head respectfully.

“Now, we really must go. I’ll see you around, Trixie.”

Trixie watched as the Captain trotted to Rainbow’s side, then the two of them started off together.

“Rainbow really does have many friends… doesn’t she?”

Trixie turned around and started towards the exit. She didn’t really want to be here any longer. Some fresh air would do her some good.

“Wonder what her other friends think of all this… I’ve really only met Rarity and Twilight, and I guess Pinkie briefly. Applejack seemed angry at me… I don’t even remember Fluttershy. Maybe she’s nice.”

She wandered around the streets of Canterlot, killing time really before the wedding at sundown.

“Hey, little filly.”

Trixie halted, disturbed from her musings. Then she suddenly felt hooves around her torso, and she was dragged through a door.

“What’s going-”

Hooves covered her muzzle, and she felt the point of a sharp object against her neck. She froze.

“If you know what’s good for you… you’ll come along nice… and easily.”

Trixie nodded her head mutely.

“And I don’t expect you to be calling out for anyone. Make any other move, and this knife will cut right… here.”

Trixie whimpered as the blade cut a little into her fur, just drawing blood. There was no point in struggling. Her captor already had her in his grasp.

She was trapped.

***

Twilight followed Rarity and Cadence to her boutique.

“Hey! You two!”

Rarity and Cadence paused, then turned around.

“Twilight?”

Rarity asked, a tint of suspicion on her tongue.

“Where’s everyone else?”

Rarity considered her for a moment.

“Well… I’d assume they’re getting ready for the wedding.

Twilight sighed. She needed everyone there before she could make her accusation.

“Will we all have a chance to meet up before the ceremony?”

Rarity narrowed her eyes suspiciously.

“I would assume so.”

Her voice was carefully guarded.

“Princess Celestia wanted us all to meet before the ceremony. Why? Did you have something you needed to say?”

Twilight held her gaze.

“Yes, but everyone should be there first.”

Rarity harrumpfed.

“Very well. Now, if you’d please. I have a bride to dress.”

Without another word, she and Cadence turned to enter the boutique. But not before Cadence shot her a look of pure hatred.
She knew it! Surely her friends would understand! Twilight exhaled sharply, then prepared herself. She had a lot of explaining to do.