• Published 17th May 2021
  • 832 Views, 74 Comments

Guardian Angel - Absentialucci



Trixie never intended to hurt anycreature... it was all just a part of the act! Why couldn't ponies see that?

  • ...
4
 74
 832

Chapter 15

Thankfully, it was relatively easy to find Rarity’s boutique. Just a few carefully placed questions, and Trixie was pointed in the right direction. A few more questions, and she found herself outside the door.

Relax, she must at least like you a little bit to remake your cape and hat… right?

Before she could doubt herself any more, she took a deep breath, and knocked. She waited for a few moments, before realizing that she was knocking on the door of a business. Not a home or apartment. Blushing lightly, she pushed the door open with her magic, a little bell making a pleasant tingle.

“Hello darling, and welcome to– my goodness, Trixie! I didn’t expect to see you here!”

Trixie steadied herself, and grinned in spite of her internal worries.

“But of course! It would be a crime against nature if the Great and Powerful Trixie didn’t visit the exquisite fashionista who fixed her cape! Trixie wanted to thank you… very, very sincerely for that. She was feeling… out of place, one might say, without her cape and hat. It’s as much a family member as it is a costume after all!”

“Oh, darling, that was no bother at all! I enjoyed the challenge! Was simply perfect for breaking the monotony of making dresses all day. Please! Look around! I’m a tad busy at the moment unfortunately, I have a wedding to prepare for after all! In fact, I was just about to close up for the day so I could meet everypony. I’m sure Twilight has been informed by now.”

“Trixie is aware of the wedding. She has made a recent acquaintance of Princess Cadence.”

“You know the Princess?!”

Trixie was taken aback by the sudden volume of the fashionista’s voice.

“Um… yes?”

She answered, unsure what else to say.

“Darling, you must simply tell me everything! Her very dress depends on it!”

Rarity was suddenly muzzle to muzzle with Trixie. How the fashionista had gotten so close, so fast, was beyond Trixie.

“Um… where would you… ah…”

Trixie delicately pushed Rarity a bit back.

“Where would you like Trixie to start?”

“Well, what about her likes? What does she enjoy? What’s her personality?”

“Trixie… fails to see how personality has any effect on fashion.”

The gasp Rarity let out at that left Trixie pondering just how large the fashionista’s lungs were.

“Why… darling! The feelings of the pony in question are exceptionally important… neigh, essential to the art of dressmaking! The elegance of fashion is in its ability to compliment the pony’s personality! Having a dress that clashes with the personality of the wearer would be… why it would be…”

Rarity started swaying back and forth as she seemed to be overwhelmed. Trixie stepped forward, ready to catch her in a spell should the need arise… only to be very nearly knocked over by the sudden appearance of a couch, which Trixie could swear she’d never seen before, flying out from somewhere in the back of the shop. The elegant fashionista that Trixie had heard so much about, promptly fell over backwards into the couch.

“Are you…”
Trixie was going to say ‘okay’ but was interrupted.
“Oh pish posh, a lady is always ready. No matter the circumstances, darling.”

Trixie frowned, there was another reason she had decided to come along. One she had carefully kept hidden in the back of her mind, but now came rushing forth to make itself known. Trixie’s neutral mask that she had become accustomed to wearing at all times as a performer, clearly needed some practice, Rarity seemed to see right through it.
“Oh? Speaking of being prepared… this is more than a simple visit to give me thanks, is it not?”

Trixie didn’t like how Rarity’s voice changed. Gone was the friendly, slightly confused tonality. In its place was… the only word Trixie could come up with was ‘sly’ voice. And she did not appreciate how the fashionista’s gaze seemed to sharpen, as if she could see more than she would ever dare to let on. Trixie swallowed nervously.
“That’s… not… incorrect.”

She barely managed to force out. Had Rarity seemed to inch closer? No… couldn’t be…
“Whatever is it that you need… daaaaarling… Do not hesitate to ask. No ill feelings here. Rainbow helped… explain some things to us all.”

Trixie paused. Had Dashie really talked to her friends on her behalf? Trixie let herself enjoy the warm and fuzzy feeling that came from that thought.

She really does care a lot about me… I really should know that by now. And I do it’s just… hard to… understand. Maybe I should just appreciate it, and not try to understand it.
Trixie felt some of her confidence return.
All the more reason I should follow through with this.
Trixie did not miss the amused look that Rarity wore after mentioning the prismatic Pegasus.
“Trixie would… like to ask, if it isn’t any bother… if you could help her with a dress.”
Rarity’s expression lit up considerably, but still had that edge to it.
“Is that all… darling…? Or is this dress for a special occasion or even perhaps… a special somepony?”
Trixie unconsciously took a half step back. Rarity crept forward as she did so, her gaze never leaving Trixie’s face. Trixie could feel a bead of sweat slowly trickling down her face.
“Uh-uhm…”
Trixie stammered.
“A certain… Pegasus perhaps?”
Rarity’s voice was sweet and singsong.

Trixie steeled herself.

“Y-yes. As a matter of fact. Trixie intends to ask Rainbow Dash to dance at the wedding ball.”

A high-pitched squealing sound started coming from Rarity. Trixie was almost certain that she was close to exploding.

“I just… hope that she has the time to do so…”

Trixie murmured.

Rarity scoffed.

“Don’t you worry your pretty horn about that, darling. I’ll make sure she has time for one little dance with you.”

Trixie was taken aback.

“You can… do that?”

“But of course! Weddings are a time of love! Passion! Romance! It simply will not do for a young mare to be denied such an opportunity!”

“She has a performance to do though…”

Trixie murmured.

“I’ll talk with Twilight. The two of us will ensure that Rainbow has time for one dance at the very least. It’s her brother’s wedding after all. Celestia herself will be in attendance, can you believe it?!”

Trixie cocked her head. It was common knowledge that Twilight was Celestia’s protégé, wouldn’t that explain the princess’s interest in the family?
Ever since she showed up at the magical school… nothing I did mattered. She would always gleam brighter than me.

Trixie firmly beat back the old jealousy that made itself known in her mind. She was above that now.

“Is it… really that surprising? Princess Celestia has always had a special interest in the Sparkle House.”

“Well… I suppose you’re right…”

Rarity mused.

“Anyways! Stop distracting me! Let me take your measurements… I’m sure we have something in your size. If you would care to follow me… I think I have the perfect ensemble in mind!”

***

“And do be sure to come back! You’re always welcome in my shop, Trixie!”

Trixie smiled warmly.

“You’re sure it’s no bother?”

The fashionista waved her hoof in a dismissive manner.

“I never realized how much you knew about the nobility, and what you told me about Cadence is certainly going to help me out! We simply must take tea some day!”

“Trixie would appreciate that very much. Though… she wasn’t talking about meeting back up with you. Any creature who has half a brain would want to spend more time with the Great and Powerful Trixie! She was merely asking about the dress.”

Rarity shook her head with a half smile.

“I don’t mind, darling. The art of the dress is very much a part of my life. I’ll get it done, and it will be beautiful.”

The unicorn winked at Trixie.

“And it’ll knock Rainbow Dash off her hooves.”

Trixie felt her cheeks warm, then she turned away.

“Well… Trixie appreciates it.”

“It’s my pleasure, darling. Do be careful heading home tonight. Some… undesirables are about.”

Trixie chuckled.

“I grew up here, Rarity. I’ll be fine. Have a good night!”

“Ta ta!”

Trixie heard Rarity cast a spell, then soon found herself bathed in darkness.

Strange… no lights at all… that’s unusual.
Trixie drew on the magic within her, and called it forth to coalesce into a ball of light, which followed along over her shoulder.

I’m not certain that I’ve ever seen Canterlot after dark with no light whatsoever.

A soft breeze whispered over and around Trixie, causing her to shiver. The light spell seemed to only make the darkness even more oppressive, Trixie started to trot a little faster.

Rarity said there were undesirables about… usually I wouldn’t be too worried but… a lone unicorn mare, out after dark, no light sources… swiftness would certainly be prudent.

Despite Rarity’s warnings, Trixie could see no sign of any undesirables lurking in the night. In fact… everything was silent, and still. Unnaturally so. Trixie sped her brisk pace up, going as fast as she dared without endangering herself to falling into the darkness that her light spell only served to ward off, as opposed to lightening the area. Trixie found herself looking back and forth, occasionally behind her. But every time she looked… nothing.

Something isn’t right here…

Was that just a tree creaking in the wind? Or was that somebody’s hooves crunching on the ground behind her? And that whistling sound? Just the wind? Or something else? Trixie swallowed, but kept moving.

Stopping would be worse. The room Dashie and I have isn’t far from here…. Just a few more bloks…
Was that glass breaking?

Just a few more blocks…

Why wasn’t there any sign of living creatures anywhere? Was she in a city of the damned? Was she truly still in Canterlot?

I feel like I’m in a graveyard. I need to get out of here!

Trixie started to breathe more rapidly. The darkness… it was closing in on her! She could feel eyes on her… no matter where she went! Trixie started to gallop.

There! I can see the entrance!
The silence was deafening. The darkness was crushing her, Elysium, she was suffocating! And then…

With a magical flare, Trixie flung the door open, then slammed it shut behind her. Up the stairs, past two doors… left… right… and there was the room! She burst through the door, and slammed it shut behind her, latching every single lock she could reach.

“Uuungh… Trix? What’s wrong?”

Trixie panted for a few moments before inhaling deeply, and letting it out. She turned towards the mare who was blinking blearily at her.

“Something the matter? You look terrified. What’s wrong?”

Rainbow immediately looked more alert, scanning the room and especially the window.

“Do I need to find the guard or…”

“No, no Dashie. It’s… it’s nothing. Just… paranoia I guess. The dark streets got to me a little bit.”

“Oh. Well… uh… you’re safe now. The dark streets can’t reach you here.”

Trixie smiled graciously.

“Thanks Dashie. I really do feel better already with you here.”

Rainbow blinked, then turned to hide her face from Trixie.

“Well… y’know…”

Trixie locked her gaze on the prismatic Pegasus, just as the moon broke through the clouds it was hidden behind. A beam of moonlight hit Rainbow, bathing her in a silvery-white color. It was beautiful. She was beautiful, Trixie realized.

Rainbow Dash, her head tucked slightly under a wing to hide her face, peering through her primaries at Trixie. Her eyes, shimmering with something Trixie couldn’t quite put her hoof on. Trixie inhaled lightly, then slowly undid her day clothes. Not caring in the slightest that Rainbow Dash was watching her intently. She levitated her saddlebags off and to the side, slowly, not taking her eyes off Rainbow. Who was still staring at her through her feathers.

Trixie couldn’t feel the floor beneath her, all that existed was her Pegasus. No darkness, no fear, no anxiety… all she felt… was safety. And something she wouldn’t dare acknowledge. She slowly approached the bed, staring deeply into Rainbow’s eyes. Dashie’s wing had lowered, and Trixie could see Rainbow unobstructed. Her chest, rising and falling, her wings spread out behind her on the bed, the way her mane flowed unobstructed… Trixie dropped her gaze once she reached the edge of the bed.

“You’re beautiful, Dashie…”

Trixie murmured. She could hear Rainbow’s breath catching, then being let out in a soft sigh. What kind of sigh was that? Relieved? Disappointed? Trixie couldn’t tell, but she let out a breath she hadn’t known she’d been holding.

“You should… see how you look right about now, Trix. You’re made for the moonlight.”

Trixie felt a delicate sensation glide across her cheek, coming to a halt under her chin. She looked up at Rainbow’s gentle insistence to see shining, beautiful eyes, and a tilted face.

“You’re safe here. You understand?”

Trixie nodded breathlessly.

“I need to hear you say it.”

“I… I’m safe here, because of you Dashie.”

Rainbow met Trixie’s gaze once more.

“You’re… an angel.”

Trixie breathed.

Rainbow leaned down and pressed her forehead against Trixie’s, while her wing cradled her cheek. Trixie felt herself lean into the wing, and close her eyes.

“Now c’mere. It’s late. Can’t have you staying up all night.”

“Okay…”

Trixie whispered, letting herself be led into bed.

“Okay.”

Trixie curled into Rainbow.

“I… I hope you don’t mind…”

Rainbow’s answer was to pull the blanket up to cover both of them, then wrap her wings and forelegs around Trixie.

“I don’t mind.”

Trixie felt Rainbow’s chest rise and fall against her back, and tried to match her breathing. Trixie felt like she should say something before Rainbow fell asleep. But every time she tried, the words caught in her throat. She eventually just resigned herself to matching Dashie’s breathing, and closing her eyes. Protected against any, and all things. She decided to express what she was trying to say through actions, much easier. Especially since Dashie was asleep by now. She curled her tail around Rainbow’s, then fell asleep smiling.

***

The sunlight glinted through the window, landing on Rainbow. She murmured some absent protests, and tried to curl away from its unwelcome warmth. But the light insisted.Instead moving to hit Rainbow’s closed eyelids. She heaved a deep sigh, turned her head, and regrettably opened her eyes.

Trixie was still blocked from the treacherous sun, so she still breathed evenly. Rainbow suddenly became very aware of how intimately they were laying in bed. Her cheeks flushed a little red, and she was suddenly very acutely aware of her heartbeat. The warmth she felt in her chest, Trixie’s soft, peaceful breaths and… their tails.

She carefully lifted the covers, not wanting to disturb Trixie, then smiled at seeing their tails intertwined.

Wow… I could get used to waking up like this…
Rainbow resisted the urge to giggle dreamily.

Sweet Celestia, I’m getting mushy.

She had preparations to make but… surely, she could spare a few more minutes to…

Trixie suddenly shifted so her face caught the sun’s rays. She let out some mumbles of protest, and turned away but the damage was done. She let out a huge yawn, and arched her back into Rainbow’s chest in a stretch. Rainbow’s breath caught in her throat, and her wings rustled slightly.

Tonight. I’ll speak with Spitfire, I’m going to tell her how I feel tonight, during a dance. I don’t care if I end up on latrine duty for the rest of my career. I am confessing my…

Rainbow’s mind froze. Had she been about to… she’d just met Trixie! What if it wasn’t appropriate?

Trixie shifted drowsily, making Rainbow’s heart start racing as she did.

Yeah… it must be true. Ohmigosh… it’s more than just me being sweet on her! I want… I don’t want to ever leave her side. Ever! I’ll do anything to stay with her.

Rainbow shivered as Trixie’s tail curled more tightly around hers.

Eeeee! Nopony has ever made me feel this way before!
Rainbow couldn’t resist the giggle this time. Trixie’s ears twitched.

“Mmnn… Dashie?”

“Morning Moonbeam.”

Rainbow said, a dopey smile on her face.

“Sleep well?”

Trixie rubbed her eyes.

“What did you just call me?”

Rainbow’s brain finally snapped out of its dreamy state.

“Uh… M-Moonbeam?”

Trixie barked a laugh.

“What?!”

Rainbow exclaimed.

“Hee hee. It’s just, I’ve never heard you stammer before Dashie!”

Rainbow’s cheeks turned even more warm.

“Do you… want me to not call you that?”

“No no! It’s okay! I like it! Especially after what you told me last night.”

If Rainbow’s cheeks heated up any more, she would spontaneously combust. Which would… suck.

Trixie’s voice softened.

“You ready for tonight? Your show?”

It didn’t escape Rainbow’s attention that despite being fully awake, Trixie’s tail had not retreated from her own. Her heart sped up again.

“Right! Yes… the show. Yep! Totally ready for that! I was born ready!”

Rainbow laughed nervously.

“My my Dashie. If I didn’t know any better, I’d assume you were nervous!”

“Why would I be nervous? Nothing to be nervous about!”

Oh Celestia! I don’t have a dress? How am I supposed to woo her without a dress?! Rarity. I need to find Rarity. Surely she has something!

Trixie snickered, causing Rainbow to bristle a little.

“I. Do not appreciate the noises you’re making!”

“Oh relax, Dashie. I’m just teasing you.”

Trixie stretched, feeling some satisfying pops in her back and neck.

“I haven’t slept that well in ages…”

She murmured.

“Well… uhm… you’re welcome then. It was uhm… my pleasure.”

Trixie glanced at Rainbow and found her intentionally looking away from her.

How odd…

“Well, I’m sure you have a lot to do today, don’t you?”

Rainbow Dash suddenly became rigid.

“Oh Elysium! What time is it? I gotta… I gotta go! So many things to…”

She shot out of bed, taking the covers with her. Trixie let out a noise of protest at the sudden coolness against her coat, and pouted.

“I gotta go! See you tonight, Trix!”

Rainbow shook the covers off of her, with a ‘heh…’ then flew out the room.

“Well then. I didn’t plan on sleeping in today anyways.”

Trixie said to the now-empty room. She stretched for a while longer, then got out of bed, smacking her lips.

“I think I’ll have some tea…”

She muttered to herself.

***

It was a simple matter of retracing her previous steps to get back to Miss Rarity’s. It was also, thankfully, much less sinister in the daylight. That being said though… something was still a bit off. It wasn’t nearly as active as she would expect right before a big event. Maybe everypony was getting ready for the wedding… Trixie really didn’t have any other explanation. Unease still lingered, but she carefully pushed it to the back of her mind. She was nearly to Rarity’s anyways.

Trixie opened the door gently with her magic.

“Miss- er, Trixie means… Rarity?”

“One second!”

Came the singsong response.

“Trixie was just wanting to see how things were going. She understands if designing a dress on such short notice for her is… a bit unreasonable. Maybe you could direct her to some rental stores…?”

“Nonsense! I’m finishing up now as a matter of fact!”

Trixie was surprised. And a little impressed.

“That’s… excellent! Trixie sincerely appreciates this!”

“It was my pleasure darling! Okay, come on up! Let me know what you think!”

Trixie happily trotted inside, letting the door swing shut behind her. The Boutique was lit up, but for the life of her, Trixie couldn’t see any sources.

“Are you even open, Rarity?”
“Well. I’m not advertising that I am, as I have several orders to fulfill, as well as one more special project after your’s, but yes. If a customer walked in, I would of course help them as soon as possible.”
“Do you ever close? Trixie isn’t sure she’s seen you take a break over the past two days.”
“I manage darling, but thank you for your concern. I am a professional, after all.”

It was incredibly easy for Trixie to miss that. Rarity was a very experienced dressmaker, she had devoted her career to it, and was slightly older than Trixie herself. Trixie found it hard to link the mare she had taken tea and amicably chatted with, with the professional seamstress that was before her now. Then Trixie saw the gown, and her thoughts abruptly froze up.

Rarity had clearly taken inspiration from Trixie’s cloak, as the dress followed a similar pattern. Taking over the bodice was a crescent moon, woven into the fabric, with a few silver spars speckled within. There was a golden chain across the neckline that showed a clear cut between the bodice and silhouette of the dress. There were more speckled silver stars, making a veritable night sky throughout the main body of the dress, with a golden hemline. The dress itself was primarily a royal purple color, with sleeves that were a slightly lighter purple, perhaps orchid? It was simple and elegant, but didn’t hide the themes of the night.

“What do you think darling?”

Trixie almost didn’t comprehend Rarity’s voice, almost.

“It’s… I love it, Rarity. Thank you so much… I can’t even begin to… how much…?”

Rarity pressed a hoof to her mouth to silence Trixie.

“Darling, my element is generosity. Don’t think about it, I insist.”

Trixie could only nod, and stare at the dress.

“Well, go on! Try it on! Let me get a look at you, darling!”

Trixie managed to swallow, and nod before delicately levitating the art piece with her magic. She handled it as she would a historical artifact, and softly moved behind the dressing screen. The dress fit her perfectly, not restricting movement, but not too bulky either. When Trixie stepped out from behind the screen, she found herself naturally falling into the mindset of a lady. It beat back the unusual shyness she felt. She was a lady, not a filly on her first stage performance.

“You look absolutely stunning, darling! Why… I should hire you as a model for my future projects, you carry it so naturally!”

“Well… Trixie does aim to impress, at all times of the day.”

“Hmmm… but your mane could use some work. You clearly take great care of it, but… have you ever styled your mane?”

Trixie frowned. Had she? She usually just wore her hat…

“Trixie… doesn’t believe she has, actually. Her hat made anything more than simple grooming counter-intuitive to her time.”

“Why darling! That’s… that’s awful! Oh now you simply must stop by before you attempt to woo…er, I mean dance with dear Rainbow Dash!”

Trixie felt her cheeks heat up slightly.

“Trixie wouldn’t mind that… but she’d like to surprise Dashie. And… seeing as the two of them are sharing a room…”

She trailed off, noticing Rarity’s expression.

“Trixie does not appreciate the looks you’re giving her.”

She scoffed, Rarity giggled.

“Don’t worry darling, you can keep the dress here.”

“Also, uhm…”

Trixie hesitated.

“Hmmm?”

“Trixie… hasn’t practiced formal dance for quite some time… she believes a refresher course would be beneficial, and… well, you carry yourself the most like royalty out of your group of friends. She was wondering if you’d be willing to help her with that?”

“But of course darling! We can work right now if you’d like!”

“B-but… uhm… don’t you have… projects?”

Rarity’s eyes gleamed.

“Oh don’t worry darling, I’ll manage.”

Trixie shook her head.

“You are a fascinating… and unendingly impressive unicorn, Rarity. How do you manage so much?”

“Oh, you know. Knitting spells aren’t the only kinds of spells I know, darling.”

Rarity said elusively. Trixie raised an eyebrow, and opened her mouth to question her further, but Rarity was already trotting away.

“Give me a few moments to get ready, darling! Then we can start right here!”

Trixie looked over herself in the mirror. The dress wasn’t only beautiful, it also complimented her figure quite well. She wouldn’t just look elegant, she’d be… the envy of most stallions in the ballroom. And she didn’t mind drawing eyes, but she only had the eyes for one particular pegasus. She giggled once more, and did a little dance on her forelegs.

“Having some pleasant thoughts, darling?”

Trixie turned to face Rarity with a witty remark, but found herself once again shocked into silence. While she only had eyes for one pony… she had to admit, the alabaster fashionista was… stunning. The dress she wore started with a dark blue bodice, no neckline and simply a lilac strap held it up. The same colored strap clearly separated the bodice from the silhouette of the dress, which itself started as the same color blue, but slowly blended into a much lighter one. The dress was partially transparent, but it wasn’t as obvious with the darker blue. It was only noticeably transparent near the hemline, before it turned entirely transparent, and a light purple. Several swirls and circles decorated and added depth to the dress.

“Close your mouth darling, it is unbecoming of a lady.”

Trixie chuckled, and did so.

“You look beautiful, Rarity.”

“Why thank you darling! I always aim to impress. Now!”

She clapped her hooves together.

“Shall we begin?”

Trixie nodded.

“We’ll start off basic, going through some simple steps and waltzes, then gradually become more complex from there. That sound okay?”

Trixie bowed.

“Teach me, oh master of the night.”

Rarity rolled her eyes.

“Careful darling. Save those kinds of words for Rainbow.”

Trixie laughed.

“Don’t worry Rarity. I’m not flaking on her.”

“Hmmm…”

Trixie couldn’t tell if that was disappointment or respect.

“Let’s begin, darling.”

***

“And don’t be afraid to… move as the music would suggest, darling. The tango is supposed to be an intimate dance… full of burning desire, and charged emotion!”

Trixie exhaled sharply, and dabbed at her face with a kerchief. Too exhausted to use her magic, she elected to use her hoof.

“But… isn’t some of what we did… inappropriate for a formal dance?”

Rarity made a ‘pppbt’ sound with her lips, which Trixie had been able to almost memorize as Rarity led her through some of the more exotic dance forms. Nothing too intimate of course, but enough to make Trixie’s thoughts float to a few fantasies about Rainbow Dash.

“Darling, you’ll know what kind of dance is required for the music, and so will all of the other guests. Don’t worry about them, be in the moment with dear Rainbow. Don’t move unless you feel it.”

“Right…”

Trixie fanned herself.

“Anyways, darling. It’s late afternoon now, I’m sure you have some things you need to do.”

“Late after…”

Had it been that long already? Rarity chuckled.

“Yes, there is something about dance that makes time fly, is there not?”

Her voice had a coy, mysterious sound to it, one that Trixie had noticed before. But… as tempting as it was to stay and continue her lessons, Trixie worried that she would soon lose track of time entirely should she stay.

“Thank you, Rarity. You’ve been good to Trixie… she won’t forget it.”

Rarity trotted behind the changing screen, and Trixie could hear her slipping back into more comfortable clothes.

“Any friend of Rainbow’s is a friend of mine. It was my pleasure darling.”

“I don’t, er, Trixie doesn’t believe she actually has anything to do today… Maybe we could… carry on?”

“Darling, if you keep practicing tonight, you’ll be too tired to properly dance with Rainbow. I simply will not stand for that. But… some advice. That last dance?”

Trixie turned a little red.

“Be that alive tomorrow, darling. I’ll take care of the rest.”

“I will, Rarity.”

“See to it. I’ll be watching, don’t disappoint me.”

Trixie took her turn behind the curtain, slipping out of the beautiful dress Rarity had fashioned for her, and back into her daily clothes. She couldn’t help but feel a little giddy. It hadn’t been as hard as she thought it would be to slip back into the movements and steps of formal dance, and it hadn’t been long before she and Rarity had moved on to more complicated dances. Dances that, while Trixie had studied and understood intuitively about, had never had a chance to have practical demonstrations. She had left Canterlot on her own at a rather young age, and the road had left little time for her to practice. She did have a dress at one point… but she suspected that it was long gone. It had been among the things she had chosen to leave behind when she hit the road. Maybe some young mare had been lucky, and been gifted the hand me down.

Trixie paused by the door, hesitating.

“I’ll… see you tomorrow then?”

Rarity smiled at her.

“Of course darling.I wouldn’t miss it for anything.”

Trixie bowed once more, then swept out the door gracefully. She felt light on her hooves. Reinvigorated. She hadn’t felt like this… like a lady, in a very long time. And within a single session, Rarity had helped her remember how it felt. She held her head high.

You’re a lady of Canterlot. And no creature can tell you otherwise. A lady is humble, however, not boastful. Boasting is for shows. It is unbecoming of a lady to elevate herself above others.

Rarity’s words had left an impression on Trixie. Dancing, she had learned, was not just a hobby. It was an art; of grace, balance, and elegance.

And all it took to remind me of my roots was another lady. Rarity may not be of noble blood, but nocreature could deny the fact that she was a lady. And any noble who dares to mistreat her, is not worthy of the title themselves.

Trixie stood up straighter than she had before. No longer would she make herself smaller. To hide. That wasn’t humility. Not really, it was self-consciousness. A discomfort in one’s own fur. She held her chin up, but not her nose. She wouldn’t look down upon others, but she wouldn’t allow herself to look up to others unless they were physically taller than her, or they had earned the right for her to lower herself for them.

So lost was she in thought, she didn’t realize that she had made her way to the main drag of Canterlot.
Maybe I could get a late lunch at New Elysium

The idea should… be appealing to her. But something about it… was it how Caramel had acted?

Why didn’t she recognize me? That’s… that shouldn’t have happened… and why was I just…accepting that it was the norm?

Something wasn’t right. New Elysium should be one of her safe spots… she had friends there, and she had slept there many days since being released from prison. But… that sense of ease, and relaxation… it just wasn’t with her right now.

“Consarnit, watch where you’re going!”

Trixie jumped, then narrowly avoided plowing into a tan pony with a distinct accent.

Of all the… why now?

Trixie sighed, then kept moving.

“Wait just one applebucking second! What’s your problem, oh ‘Great and Powerful’ one?”

Trixie halted, then turned with narrow eyes at the offending earth pony.

“I would thank you to not use my title in a mocking way. I earned that title through effort and determination, Applejack.”

She scoffed.

“Right, and I’m Princess of Sweet Apple Acres.”

Trixie resisted the urge to match her sneering tone, and to spit back an insult. Instead, she elected to just sigh and continue walking. She didn’t have time for this.

“Now hold on a minute, where do you think you’re going?”

“Somewhere away from here, Lady Apple.”

“Are you mocking me?”

Applejack growled with a low voice.

“I don’t know. Are you?”

Trixie shot back.

“Ya’ll wanna take this somewhere else?”

Applejack threatened. Trixie was very, very tempted to stop and shoot off a challenge of her own. What did Applejack have against her? All of Rainbow’s other friends… while some might not have been the warmest… they at least weren’t trying to pick a fight with her.

“No, I don’t have the time nor the energy. It is… beneath me.”

“Beneath… you sayin’ I’m beneath you?!”

Trixie finally stopped and turned around once more. Applejack’s nostrils were flaring, and she had her head lowered. You know… maybe she did have some time to put this upstart in her place…

“Trix, where you at?”

Trixie felt her anger melt away and immediately released the tension she hadn’t even known to have been cropping up within her.

“Down here, Dashie!”

Applejack looked enraged at being dropped, but Trixie couldn’t care less about her when her guardian angel was looking for her. She waved the prismatic Pegasus over to her. Dashie effortlessly did a pinpoint turn, and four point landing right next to her.

“Heh, there y’ are. C’mere, Moonbeam.”

Trixie felt her heart melt just a little more at her nickname and trotted up to nuzzle her, relishing in the feeling of wings wrapping around her in a hug.

“Ya’ll… ya’ll make me sick…”

Trixie heard the… was Applejack’s voice shaky? From anger perhaps? She disentangled herself from Rainbow, and searched Applejack’s green eyes. There was a flash of something there… but they quickly flinted back over into anger.

“Why… why do you hate me, Applejack? What’ve I ever done to you that merits this treatment?”

Trixie’s voice wasn’t accusatory, just… confused. She was confused. Applejack opened her mouth, as if to say something else scathing, but she clamped her mouth shut and simply pulled her hat over her eyes; before turning around and marching off. She muttered something that Trixie didn’t catch, but it wasn’t long until she turned a corner, and Trixie could follow her no more.

“Jeeze… what’s her problem…”

Rainbow muttered.

“I don’t know Dashie… all your other friends have been… downright nice to me. Rarity in particular…”

“Whatever, don’t mind her. She’ll come around… she always does.”

Trixie decided to not bring up the twinge of doubt that weaved through Rainbow’s tone.

“Hey uhm… Dashie…”

“Yeah?”

“Will you… be occupied throughout the entirety of the wedding?”

Rainbow rubbed the back of her neck.

“Hard to say for sure… most likely not, they need me for the finale mostly. Why do you ask?”

“I was… uhm… just wondering…”

Trixie felt her heart rate accelerating and her cheeks warming up. Was she really going to do this? Was it premature? Would Dashie… would she stop calling her ‘Moonbeam?’ Trixie firmly beat back those worries, and swallowed hard, steeling herself.

“Do you… have anycreature… that you’re… attending the wedding with?”

Rainbow’s eyes widened, and suddenly Trixie was very aware of how she was dressed. Her lack of formal clothing, she had only done the bare necessities with her mane this morning… she was… actually a bit shorter than Rainbow. She suddenly was very aware of that fact, and… when had the world started spinning? Why did she feel simultaneously blisteringly hot, and freezing cold? Why were her words catching in her throat? Why wasn’t she saying anything?

“No, I was…”

Rainbow coughed and suddenly looked flustered herself.

“I wasn’t… I-I mean I didn’t have… anycreature… y-yet that is?”

Trixie noticed that Rainbow was paying very close attention to her. Drinking in every detail that Trixie was finding herself aware of. She also noticed how close they were. She forced the words that had been caught in her throat out.

“W-would you… do Trixie the… the honor of…”

Rainbow crept a bit closer, their snouts were almost touching now. No turning back now.

“Havingadancewithme?!”

The words flooded out of Trixie in a rush. She closed her eyes, and braced herself for the answer. Which answer she was worried about more though…

She didn’t follow that train of thought. Rainbow had gasped softly, she felt it. She peeked with one eye, not yet fully opening them.

Which was why she was not expecting the sudden tight hug that Rainbow assaulted her with.

“Ohmigosh yes! Of course!”

Trixie exhaled sharply.

“Oh. Well… good.”

She opened her eyes fully now, and found magenta eyes staring deeply into her, half-lidded. Rainbow had a smirk on her face. Oh… that look… Trixie was glad she was supporting her fully… as she felt her legs go a bit weak. She pressed her forehead against Rainbow’s, leaned in close… let her own eyes turn half-lidded. Rainbow didn’t stop her approach… she moved slightly closer, and…

“Heya Dashie! Trixie! How are ya?!”

Trixie suddenly leaped almost completely out of her skin with a yelp of shock.

“Aaaah!”

She and Rainbow were suddenly both hugging a pink earth pony with bright blue eyes and a noticeably bouncy mane of pure chaos that Trixie couldn’t even begin to understand how it looked so simultaneously neat and bedraggled.

Trixie fell backwards, flailing her hooves, and felt like her heart would explode.

Rainbow Dash, on the other hoof, looked completely unsurprised. Almost… annoyed?

“Pinkie Pie…”

“Trixie Lulamoon!”

The pink pony, ‘Pinkie Pie’ called out before jumping away from Rainbow and grinning at Trixie.

“Elysium, Pinkie… I-I don’t believe we’ve… formally met. And… somepony neglected to tell me that you’d be making an appearance here! Right now! At this instant!”

Pinkie Pie giggled before bouncing happily a short distance away.

“That’s because… I didn’t expect her to be here.”

Rainbow said dryly, before offering a hoof to Trixie.

“Then how… how did she not scare the rainbow out of your mane?!”

Trixie cried out, accepting the offered hoof to be pulled up.

“That’s just Pinkie Pie. You get used to it.”

Pinkie Pie giggled, then bounced back towards them.

“Silly Dashie. You know I wouldn’t miss your important day for anything!”

Rainbow blinked.

“But… my rainboom isn’t until tomorrow…”

She mumbled. Pinkie Pie’s smile that she hadn’t dropped for an instant, got even bigger.

“Oh, that’s not what I meant! Silly. Anyways! Hiya Trix! It’s nice to meetcha!”

Trixie stared at her as if she might have only been a figment of her imagination.

“C-charmed…”

She forced out, trembling slightly. Something about Pinkie Pie… was just… off. Her movements… seemed almost supernatural.

“Oh, I see what ya did there!”

Pinkie turned to stare straight up.

“Clever… verrrrrrry cleverrrrr…”

She hissed conspiratorially.

“Uh… who’re you talking to, Pinkie?”

Rainbow asked. Pinkie’s temperament immediately returned to normal, as if nothing had been done.

“Oh, just the master of all things in this world! Nobody, really. Such a creative approach… but hardly original.”

“What… what’s she talking about Dashie?”

Rainbow raised her wings in a ‘how should I know?’ kind of way.

Pinkie suddenly slumped, so drastically that Trixie swore her mane deflated.

“It’s going to get reeeeeal nasty here soon… At least you two will get one nice thing before it all flips upside down and frowny…”

Then she reinflated, her frown turning into a smile as naturally as if she had never faltered.

“But it’ll all be okay in the end! And we’ll all turn out better for it! Bye guys!”

She waved, then bounced off, seemingly disappearing into thin air.

“What do you think she was talking about?”

Trixie asked Rainbow.

“Don’t know… and did you see how her mood changed? That’s… not like her…”

“Should we… try to find her to comfort her?”

But Rainbow was already shaking her head.

“It’s no use, you’ll never find her. She appears where she wants and when she wants.”

They stood there awkwardly for a moment, neither one sure what to do, but both knew what they had nearly done. Luckily… or perhaps… unluckily… they were both startled by something else. Out of nowhere, a pinkish, translucent bubble appeared overhead.

“What… what’s that?”

Rainbow called out. Trixie shook off her shock, then narrowed her eyes, studying it.

“That’s… that’s Starswirl's Shielding Stratosphere!”

Trixie gasped.

“Star-what’s-it now?”

Rainbow asked, clearly confused.

“That’s… that’s a triple alliteration shielding spell! The concentration required to make one this large… it… it’s incredible!”

“Uh… huh… and… what’s that mean exactly?”

Trixie blushed lightly before answering.

“It’s… a highly advanced spell. Usually created with a matrix, as opposed to cast by a unicorn. The matrix would allow multiple unicorns to work together at it… maintain it longer. It’s one of the most powerful shielding spells in a unicorn’s arsenal.”

“And… Why is it over Canterlot?”

“Well, how should I know? I sure didn’t cast it! This magic is beyond me! Well… at least without some extensive preparation… hmmm… come to think of it… I could utilize my own latent defensive shield, combine it with the existing leylines of the world… boost it with some raw magical energy, and weave that energy into a sustaining effect to keep it going… huh, that’s genius! I can’t believe I’d never thought of it before! But… to make one this large… I-I couldn’t even begin to imagine the raw power behind it…”

“As… adorable as it is to see you geek out over this…”

Rainbow coughed.

“It’s a good spell, right? Like… we’re not suddenly in immense danger now with it being in place?”

“No no, of course not! It’s purely a defensive spell. Most likely just a precaution for a royal wedding…”

“Okay, good! I’ll uh… see you tonight? And tomorrow? For that dance, I mean. Right?”

Trixie was a bit distracted, still studying the shield with fascinated eyes.

“Right then… see ya!”

Rainbow took off in a random direction.

“Yes… hmmm… wait! What did you mean by adorable?!”

But Rainbow was nowhere to be seen.

“Grrrr… next time…

Trixie muttered ominously.

***

The rest of the day passed relatively uneventfully, but Trixie couldn’t shake the uneasy feeling she’d felt earlier.

I know that there was something off about Caramel… but it’s like I… just… don’t want to think about it.
This did not sit well with Trixie. For most of her life, her instincts had kept her safe. When she chose where to settle down and rest in her trailer, how to react when dealing with the more dangerous wildlife of Equestria, when to run, and when to hide in her trailer… and rarely, when to fight and scare off would-be predators. Thaumaturgical cantrips, light spells, and creative usage of show magic usually was more than enough to scare off the odd predator. But it had always been her thoughts. Her decisions and creativity. Her instincts and logic had always worked in harmony. But now… her instincts were screaming that something was wrong with Caramel, but her brain was telling her there was nothing off about her, that it was a weird day. That Caramel sometimes got stressed, and that it was probably just busy before a wedding. She hated it.

She just didn’t know what to do about it, other than keep on guard. Something was happening that she wasn’t seeing, and nocreature seemed to be aware of it either. It was with these thoughts that she entered her and Rainbow’s room that night.

“Hey Trix. Whoah, you look tense. What’s up?”

Trixie looked up from the ground with tired eyes and met Rainbow’s.

“I don’t know, Dashie. It’s… hard to explain. I just… there’s something wrong, but I can’t place my hoof on what exactly.

Rainbow simply stood up and approached her, eyes concerned.

“You uh… wanna talk about it?”

Trixie just nodded.

“Well uh… I have an idea actually. Uhm…”

She turned a little red.

“Go ahead and lie down on the bed.”

Trixie tiredly flopped onto the bed, and took some time to make herself comfortable.

“Like I said… I don’t know what it is, Dashie. Maybe it would be better if I just gave you an example.”

Trixie felt the draft of wings, and felt the bed shift under the Pegasus’s light weight.

“Whatever you think will help, Moonbeam.”

Trixie felt something light brush her shoulders, before the pressure suddenly increased.

“What are you…?”

“Try to relax, Trix. Tell me what’s going on. I’m going to work some of these muscles loose. Can’t have you sleeping with tight muscles before we dance.”

Trixie felt what she now knew were Rainbow’s wings starting to ease the tension out of her shoulders, and carefully working the skin and muscles around there.

The effect was noticeable immediately. Trixie felt some of her anxiety melt away with the tension.

“I wasn’t aware wings could be used for this…”

She murmurs.

“Not many creatures do. It’s uhm… not something Pegasi do for everyone. Grooming is especially important to us though, and that includes the occasional massage. If you’re flying, and you haven’t stretched, or you have a tight wing muscle, you could get really hurt. Same concept applies to shoulders. Muscles get relaxed similarly.”

“It feels really nice…”

Trixie said faintly.

“That’s the point. What were you saying though? Something about an example?”

Trixie sighed, and Rainbow continued to work her shoulders.

“Earlier today I went to the café I worked at. Caramel and Cook were kind to me when I first got out of prison. Gave me a job, and a place to sleep. And a sense of purpose. They’re pretty much family at this point.”

“I know those types of creatures. They’re seemingly becoming more and more a rarity these days.”

“Exactly. So, I decided to drop in and maybe have breakfast, and Caramel… she didn’t… recognize me.”

“At all?”

“No. No comprehension whatsoever. Not only that, but the creatures there… acted stiffly, and it just… didn’t seem natural.”

“I don’t like the sound of that.”

Rainbow’s administrations move to Trixie’s neck muscles next.

“You starting to feel better here at least?”

“Yessss… I could stay like this all night…”

“Good.”

“That wasn’t the main thing that got me feeling all weird though. I just… started rationalizing the way she was acting, away. Started telling myself she was just busy, or stressed… but my gut was telling me that she shouldn’t be acting that way, and if I think about it, yes. That’s not normal. But it’s like… I’m fighting against myself, every time I think ‘oh yeah, that’s actually not how she acts’ my brain suddenly goes into a spin, saying things like ‘she’s probably just having a bad day.’ Or ‘it’s probably just busy with the wedding coming up.’”

Rainbow silently pressed her hooves, suddenly with socks on them, to Trixie’s scalp, while her wings started running through the Unicorn’s mane. Trixie sighed contently.

“Be careful with the horn… it’s very sensitive… try not to touch it at all actually. At least not tonight…”

“Why’s that?”

Trixie turned bright red.

“It’s uhm… you know… sensitive.”

“Oh.”

Rainbow silently massaged her scalp, while her primaries continued to run through her mane.

“But you said…”

Rainbow started, but Trixie quickly jumped in, not letting her finish that train of thought.

“You know what I mean though? With the… wrongness?”

Rainbow sighed, but continued her administrations as she gathered her thoughts.

“I guess… only thing I know for certain is that sometimes your gut tells you things that your brain doesn’t notice. It’s instinctual. In the air though, those instincts notice things before your brain processes them. That’s how skilled flyers are different from novice ones. True masters of flight trust their instincts absolutely, and act upon them without rationalizing them. Because in the time it takes to notice your instincts, translate those instincts to your brain, process what those instincts are telling you, and then deciding to act on them… you’re already dead.”

“Have… Pegasi died from that before?”

“Yes.”

Rainbow’s voice was tight, firm.

“In flight, there are a million things going on at once, at all times. The brain simply can’t process all of it. Many Pegasi who have made the mistake of believing they could process that much information at once have universally been overwhelmed, frozen up, or acted incorrectly. At high speeds… this is oftentimes fatal. The lucky ones are only crippled. Sometimes for life.”

“Oh.”

Trixie’s voice was small.

“Flying is dangerous. It’s amazing, and-and liberating and freeing. And I wouldn’t give it up for the world but… I’d be a fool to not acknowledge and be aware of the danger. The point I’m trying to make here though is this.”

Rainbow sat back, leaving a much more relaxed Trixie on the bed.

“In this kind of situation… trust your instincts, not your head. Let’s get some sleep though. We can’t do anything about it immediately. Just keep your head on a swivel, but… try to enjoy the dance when it happens. Pinkie said we’d get to have one nice thing, and I think that thing is the dance.”

“You believe what she said?”

“She’s never been wrong before.”

Trixie felt the blanket pulled over her, and then the warm feeling of Rainbow slipping in behind her.

“She said things would get really nasty…”

Rainbow sighed, and wrapped her wings around Trixie, pulling her close. Trixie melted against the Pegasus.

“And it might be related to the wrongness you’re feeling. So we’ll keep an eye out after the dance. We can’t do anything about it until after that, deal?”

“Deal…”

Trixie said, already feeling herself drifting off.

“Goodnight Moonbeam.”

The last thing Trixie felt was the soft feeling of lips on the back of her head, and then darkness overtook her.

***

The morning went by in such a rush that Trixie felt like she was still dreaming. Waking up with Rainbow, followed by the flurry of motion to get ready for the wedding, picking up the outline of the wedding… even picking up her dress, and having her mane styled with Rarity. The most notable thing was Rainbow’s reaction to her dress, and Trixie’s own surprise when Dashie had produced a dress that matched her’s perfectly.

“Where did…”

Realization suddenly dawned on her, and she turned an accusatory glare towards Rarity, who simply gave her an innocent look.

“Rarity… by any chance did you… plan this?”

Rainbow Dash tentatively asked.

“Oh darling. A lady never reveals her secret. You both asked for dresses… well, who knows why they match so well. Enjoy the pre-party, and don’t think too much about it. No reason to spoil the moment, right?”

Trixie heard Rainbow sigh, turned and saw her shake her head.

“Thanks Rarity. That was pretty awesome.”

“I’m happy to help you two, darling.”

“I’ll meet you at the castle, Trix. Just have to take care of a few things first.”

“Wait, but you’re always…”

Rainbow took off before Trixie could finish. She sighed.

“...taking care of a few things.”

Trixie pressed a hoof to her forehead.

“Oh don’t give her too much grief, dear. I love Rainbow very much, but sometimes she… goes a bit overboard. Especially when it comes to responsibilities. Goodness knows that’s why she’s napping so much.”

Rarity tittered.

“It’s as annoying as it is endearing.”

“I feel like… it will get exhausting for myself too.”

Rarity shot Trixie a mischievous look.

“If I’m not mistaken, it sounds like you’re already planning on spending a lot of time with her.”

Trixie felt herself turn a bit pink.

“Yes uhm… I suppose I am.”

“So delightful!”

Rarity winked.

“Well don’t let me keep you waiting. I suspect you should be getting dressed and ready, hmmm?”

And now Trixie was standing in the line to enter the castle. There had clearly been a lot of preparation, though Trixie really shouldn’t be too surprised. Princess Cadence, and Twilight Sparkle’s brother, who also happened to be captain of the royal guard, were being wed tonight. The Sparkle family would become official royalty. Trixie also noticed several more guards than usual. Pegasi patrolled the skies, their lighter armor not as bright and gleaming as the Unicorns and Earth Ponies in their golden-colored plate armor.

Trixie frowned. Apart from the occasional guard in chainmail, and the odd crystal-encrusted armor of the Crystal Empire, most of the guards seemed to be wearing more… ceremonial armor than anything. Wasn’t that… unwise?

Trixie was shaken from her thoughts when she heard a familiar voice.

“Trixie, hi!”

Trixie smiled, and strode forward elegantly to meet her… well, she was a friend now, right?

“Twilight! Congratulations!”

The lavender unicorn’s smile faded into a frown.

“Right… the wedding…”

“What’s wrong? Aren’t you happy your brother is marrying the love of his life?”

Twilight shook her head, and forced a smile.

“Of course I am! My bbbff is marrying my foalsitter!”

Trixie was taken aback.

“Bbbff?”

“Big brother best friend forever?”

Twilight asked as if it was the most obvious thing in Equestria.

“Ah… okay… so… why the frown?”

Twilight groaned.

“Is it that obvious?”

Trixie nodded.

“Kinda.”

“It’s just…”

Twilight sighed.

“Shiny and I were always close. He was often the only friend I had…”

Trixie felt a stab of sympathy for young Twilight.

“So why in Equestria wasn’t I told about this earlier!”

Twilight exploded, Trixie resisted the urge to jump back.

“I’m sorry, I know I should just be happy here! But… who does that? Seriously? And Cadence has changed too.”

That caught Trixie off-guard.

“Changed?”

“She’s a total jerk! Talks down to her bridesmaids! Tossed Applejack’s fritters in the garbage!”

Trixie had to exercise a, frankly impressive, feat of self-control to not laugh.
Oh the face she must’ve made… I’d give anything to see Applejack put in her place! So self-righteous and indignant…
Trixie forced those thoughts to the back of her mind. This was one of Rainbow Dash’s best friends she was thinking about after all. She turned her attention back to Twilight, who hadn’t stopped talking.

“...and then she did something that made his eyes go all–”

Trixie was fascinated with how Twilight had made her eyes move around like that… not even to bring up the cowbell-like sounds that emerged.

“How did…”

Twilight kept going though.

“And I just don’t get it! That’s not the Cadence I knew! She… she didn’t even do the sunshine dance with me…”

Twilight was breathing heavily, Trixie wasn’t quite sure what to do in this scenario, so she tentatively placed a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder.

“There… there?”

Trixie found it hard to see that the playful and teasing, kindhearted alicorn that had kept her company while she had served her sentence could compare to the mare Twilight was describing.

It might be related to the wrongness you’re feeling…

Rainbow Dash’s words echoed ominously in her mind.

“Thanks Trixie… and sorry for just exploding on you like that. Nopony I’ve talked to believes me though. They keep just saying it must be the stress of the wedding getting to her but I just… that isn’t right. I know Cadence! She wouldn’t act like she was before!”

“Trixie would be… inclined to agree with you, based on how you’ve described her.”

Twilight looked up and met her eyes.

“You mean… you mean you believe me?”

Trixie nodded.

“Cadence was one of Trixie’s first friends in this city. And she’s a princess. Trixie fails to see how a mere wedding would compare to the stress associated with running a kingdom.”

“Yes! That’s exactly what I’m saying!”

Trixie suddenly found herself being hugged tightly by Twilight.

“What in…”

Trixie couldn’t finish her sentence, so tight was the hug.

“Breathing… now!”

And just like that she was released by a sheepish looking Twilight.

“Sorry Trixie… I just didn’t think anyone would believe me. Something’s up… and I intend to figure out exactly what. But… well, let’s not let it get in the way of the party, right? You look incredible by the way. Rarity made you a dress? That was very nice of her. Don’t worry about anything, I’ll figure it out. Just be there to support me if you need to, okay?”

“Of course. Trixie will always stand by her friends.”

Twilight smiled warmly.

“Thanks Trixie, that means a lot. Bye now!”

Twilight waved a hoof, before trotting further into the crowd, likely to mingle.

Now… where in Equestria is Rainbow Dash?

Trixie started idly adjusting invisible details in her dress, really just wasting time. Many ponies passed her, heading into the ballroom, but still no Rainbow Dash.

She sighed.

Well… no sense in staying here. I’m already getting some odd looks. I’m sure Dashie will find me inside… in fact, she might be waiting for me.
Trixie did some last second adjustments. Real ones, this time. Not time wasting ones, took a deep breath, then started in. Head held high.

The murmuring slowly grew in volume as she approached the entryway. Eventually, she wasn’t able to make out individual words at all, no matter how hard she tried. Not that it mattered at all. Surely they weren’t talking about her. She… probably didn’t even make the headlines. And even if she did… she’d served her time! Surely they’d give her a chance! Wasn’t that how justice was supposed to work?

Right… justice. Maybe to a few but… come on Trixie. You’re talking about the nobility here.

Trixie chuckled at that despite herself. She presented her invitation to a Thestral guard who studied it scrupulously, shrugged, then let her in.

“Enjoy the party Miss Lulamoon.”

“Thank you good sir, Trixie appreciates the consideration.”

“Right, right.”

Trixie pretended to not notice the guard roll his eyes. He probably was bored out of his mind, that was all.

The volume of her surroundings didn’t increase at all, she suspected that this would be a rather formal party. Shame, would be worth it to see some of these stuffy nobles take their heads out of their-

“Trix! Hey!”

She was immediately thrown out of her thoughts when she heard Rainbow Dash’s voice. Any doubts she was carefully keeping in the back of her mind evaporated, and she smiled warmly as she turned to find her Pegasus.

“Rainbow Dash!”

She stopped just before her, wiping off her delighted expression on her face.

“Hmmpf! You could’ve at least escorted me in!”

Rainbow Dash had the common sense to look a little bashful, as she rubbed the back of her neck.

“Right… heh heh… yeah. Sorry Trix uhm… I had to–”

“Take care of a few things.”

Trixie sighed in exasperation.

“I know.”

“I’m sorry Trixie…”

Rainbow Dash’s ears drooped and she looked down to the floor.

Trixie immediately felt guilt slam into her as if she was being blasted into a mountain. Here Rainbow Dash was, clearly doing her best to look good for the party. Even though she didn’t like dresses, she wore one anyway. And damn it, she looked good in it. Rarity had clearly gone above and beyond making them match.

There wasn’t much of a bodice, as there was more like a golden, silk sash that was secured with a purple sapphire brooch. It wrapped around her body and behind her wings, and the dress looked like it was in two parts actually… most likely to accommodate for her wings. The main part of the dress was deep purple with small silver stars spread throughout it, and a golden trim that made a unique, waving pattern. It reminded her of wind currents, or waves perhaps.

“No no! I’m sorry, Dashie. You look… you’re breathtaking.”

Rainbow’s cheeks turned a little pink.

“You don’t look too bad yourself, Trix… Rarity really went above and beyond, huh?”

Trixie could only nod slowly.

“W-well… uhm… there’s still a bit of a walk so… would you care to join me?”

She held out a hoof.

Trixie stared at it for a moment, perplexed, then her brain caught up. Before she could make a move though, Rainbow quickly wrapped her foreleg around Trixie’s, pulling her to Rainbow’s side.

“Just… walk with me.”

Rainbow’s voice was strained. Trixie exhaled softly, then leaned in and nuzzled into her neck. She felt the Pegasus stiffen, and she froze. She hadn’t even realized she was doing it, but Rainbow wasn’t pulling away so…

“Well… you’re my escort, right? Is this not what they do?”

Trixie felt Rainbow slowly relax.

“Shall we then?”

Rainbow’s voice was less strained. Her confidence seeming to return.

“Yes, we shall.”

Trixie let herself be led into the ballroom, ignoring the glances and odd stare. She could care less about them; the only one worth paying attention to in the entire ballroom was the cyan Pegasus she was currently linked to. The music was soft, and not too complex, intended to be played in the background while the guests socialized.

“How about we head to the bar? Start the night off with a nice drink.”

“You drink, Rainbow?”

“...on occasion. I prefer cider, or mead but… I suppose these fancy drinks aren’t too bad.”

Trixie giggled.

“Such a brute. Little to no regard for the finer things in life.”

“Hey! I’ll have you know, freshly-made cider is like… the awesomest thing ever!”

Trixie wrinkled her nose.

“Maybe…”

She trailed off, unimpressed.

“Oh you just haven’t had the right cider yet then.”

“Hmmm… perhaps you’ll have to show me sometime then.”

Rainbow was silent for a moment before responding.

“Yeah, yeah. I guess I will!”

“In the meantime, however, please allow me to select the wine for the night. Even though I know you’ll not appreciate them fully.”

“Well maybe I will! Maybe I know more about wine than you think I do!”

Trixie raised an eyebrow skeptically.

“Fine, fine. I’ll let you choose the…”

Rainbow seemed to shudder from disgust.

Wine for the night. Does it have to be wine?”

Trixie rolled her eyes.

“But of course Dashie! It’s a night of culture, and beauty after all!”

“Yeah, yeah… fine. Whatever.”

“Honestly Rainbow, have you not experienced true culture before?”

Rainbow glanced around incredulously.

This is true culture?”

She lowered her voice to that of a near whisper.

“I hate to break it to you, Trix but… almost everyone here looks like they have a huge stick shoved straight up their–”

“Rainbow!”

Trixie giggled out.

“Control yourself!”

Rainbow rolled her eyes with a grin.

“Yeah, s’not my thing.”

They found themselves nearing the bar.

“Be that as it may, and as, well, true as it may be…”

Trixie trailed off, ignoring the snicker from the Pegasus.

“It simply won’t do for you to be saying that out loud. You’re liable to get thrown out!”

“Awwww, how adorable. You think they’d throw out someone as awesome as myself?”

Trixie was about to respond when a soft voice with an exotic, refined accent interrupted her.

“Would the misses care for a drink?”

Trixie turned her attention to the young colt who was working behind the bar.

“Yes my good sir. The great and powerful Trixie requires two glasses of the Pinot Noir for herself and her escort for the night.”

The bartender raised his eyebrow, but simply nodded.

“Of course, my ladies.”

“Blech. Wines always have complicated names. What’s wrong with something simple?”

Trixie scoffed.

“Why, it’s because the ‘complicated names’ as you say, describe the type of wine.”

“But there’s like… two types of wine, right? Red and white?”

Trixie gasped, and a few of the other patrons stared at them as if she spoke blasphemy.

“Rainbow! That’s… that’s awful! How could you say such a thing?”

“What? What?! I’m right, right?!”

“Absolutely not! That is… is a gross oversimplification!”

“But at their most basic, aren’t they all just that? Red or white?”

“No! There are five basic colors of wine, first off!”

“Uhhh… and those are?”

“Red and white, yes! But also orange, pink and yellow!”

“Seriously? What’s the difference?”

“Well, first off, an orange wine is created by fermenting the grapes with the skins on, and yellow wine is aged in a barrel with a yeast–”

“Okay, okay! I get it! Wines are complicated. Sheesh.”

Trixie harrumphed.

“So what color is…”

“Pinot noir is a red wine, Dashie.”

“I see…”

“One of these days I’ll have to teach you the subtleties of cultured drinking.”

“Where did you even learn all this jun– er… I mean… uh… fascinating information.”

Rainbow was wise to catch herself under Trixie’s withering gaze.

“Well, since you’re so clearly interested, I was raised amongst the nobility of Canterlot. One thing you learned if you didn’t want to become the laughingstock of events was, at the bare minimum, knowing your wines.”

“Sounds too stressful for what it’s worth…”

“Maybe… perhaps. But it’s still something I take great pride in.”

“Oh… sorry Trix.”

Trixie groaned.

“It’s not a problem, Dashie. You just caught me off guard was all. It’s so easy to forget that… not everyone was raised the same way as myself.”

“Heh. That makes you at least twenty percent cooler than everyone else here.”

Trixie giggled.

“Why, thank you Dashie. All is forgiven.”

Rainbow let out a breath of relief.

“Your wine, my ladies.”

Trixie appreciated the professionalism of this bartender. He didn’t even bat an eye at Rainbow’s egregious butchering of culture, and simply served them their drinks. She set a small pile of bits on the bartop for him as a tip. He seemed completely at a loss for what to do.

“It’s for you, for doing your job well.”

He stood a bit straighter.

“I appreciate it, ma’am.”

He gently floated the bits over and into a small lockbox.
Might be the only tip he gets tonight… if there’s one thing the nobility is good at, it’s clinging onto their money without doing much with it.
She sighed internally.

Just like I used to do…
She banished those thoughts. This was a happy night. She instead focused on floating a wine glass to Rainbow, who carefully grasped it with a wing. She then took a glass for herself, and clinked it against Rainbow’s.

“To us. And a lovely night!”

“Right, yeah!”

Rainbow also clinked her glass.

“This is called a toast, right?”

“Yes Rainbow, that’s correct.”

Rainbow puffed her chest out, seemingly pleased with herself for calling something out correctly.

It was… adorable. Trixie swirled the glass a little bit in her magic, before bringing it to her snout and taking a sniff. She then sipped from the glass elegantly. Rainbow watched her, then did the same thing.

“So… what, is there a process to drinking wine too?”

She asked as she swirled the glass.

“Yes Rainbow, it’s all a part of the experience. In order to appreciate the wine fully, you must savor it.”

“Right…”

Rainbow said doubtfully. Trixie’s ears twitched, as she heard some of the murmuring around the bar.

“How embarrassing… I certainly wouldn’t want my partner to be so ignorant.”

“Indeed, such… buffoons are why things are so wrong with the world these days.”

Rainbow tried to hide it, but Trixie could see she heard the murmurings too, and shrunk a little in on herself.

“Why, I have half a mind to ask her to leave.”

“How uncouth.”

“Ruffians. Ruffians, I tell you.”

Trixie had heard enough.

“Come on Rainbow, let’s go listen to the music. Some creatures here have a hard time seeing beyond their own rear ends, stuck as they are up their own posteriors. Quite difficult, no?”

Rainbow brightened up at that and chuckled.

“Heh, yeah. Shame too. There’s plenty to see and smell beyond that.”

They finished their wines, then left, ignoring the outraged looks they were given. Trixie wasn’t certain but she thought she saw the bartender start to refuse service to the patrons who were talking down to Rainbow. She allowed herself to smirk.

Serves them right.

“I really appreciate you taking me out tonight, Rainbow.”

“S’no problem. I’m glad you’re here. Though I may have some ulterior motives too…”

Trixie’s heart rate sped up.

“Oh? And those might be?”

“Ha! Wouldn’t you like to know! Don’t worry, all will be revealed in due time.”

“Keeping me in suspense are we? Well. I suppose I’ll play your game then.”

“Least you could do after all.”

“Enjoying the ball so far, darlings?”

Rainbow’s mouth slowly dropped, and Trixie slowly turned around to see what had her so shocked.

Rarity had clearly taken significantly more time than either of them. Her mane was immaculately styled. Her makeup wasn’t overdoing it, but was there to enhance her already-present beauty. Eyeliner drew attention to her eyes, which gleamed with intelligence and excitement. And that wasn’t even considering her attire. She had gemstone earrings, aquamarine, Trixie thought. The dress itself looked like it was fitted like a robe, at least around her neck, and was a dark purple with a slight ‘V’ in the neck. She had a golden peplum, and the skirt was a shimmering purple. Darker purple lines forming diamonds and causing an optical illusion that made her dress appear to always be changing to different shades of purple. She was clearly wearing some kind of transparent cyan slip underneath it all, allowing some of it to appear at the cuffs and hemline. Her cutie mark was emblazoned on the skirt, and a golden choker with a sapphire in the middle to complete the look.

“Wow.”

Rainbow and Trixie said simultaneously.

Rarity laughed airily.

“Quite a nice look, don’t you think? I honestly believe this is one of my best lines!”

“You’re uh… already catching stares, Rarity.”

“Oh, I’m very much aware darling. And every single one of them will leave tonight, disappointed.”

“You sound… almost giddy at that aspect.”

Trixie managed after she swallowed. Hard.

“But of course, darling. Part of a lady’s allure is the chase. A chase that… many will fail at.”

She chuckled.

“Oh, I know there are plenty of strapping stallions here, but I’m not so easily impressed by charm or status. No, one day I’ll find the one. But today is not that day. It’s still fun to be pursued though, I must say. But! That’s not why I’m here! I highly doubt either of you will be pursuing me hmmmm?”

Trixie and Rainbow glanced at each other, blushed then looked away.

Rarity tittered.

“Might I have a word with Trixie, dear Rainbow Dash? She and I have some things to discuss.”

“Oh, uh… sure! I’ll just… be over here… standing. Yeah.”

Rarity gestured for Trixie to follow. And after glancing one more time at Rainbow, Trixie went after her.

“What do you need, Rarity?”

“How’s the night going, darling?”

Rarity lowered her voice conspiratorially.

“It’s… nice. I understand what you mean about some of the nobles here. Some were trying to haughtily talk down to Rainbow Dash as if she couldn’t hear them.”

Rarity scowled.

“Boorish brutes. I might just have to go and give them a piece of my mind! Do be a dear and point them out to me, would you?”

“Uhm, no. It’s okay, really Rarity. They’re not worth the energy.”

“Well, if you change your mind, find me. I’ll happily get rid of them.”

“I’ll… keep that in mind.”

“But anyways! The next song that plays will be your chance!”

“Chance? I-I don’t…”

“Oh, don’t tell me you’re getting cold hooves already! Trust me. The next song will be perfect for you and Rainbow to dance to.”

“If-if you say so Rarity.”

“I do. It’ll be breathtaking. I’ll make sure of it.”

Trixie gulped.

“You… you think she’ll say yes? I-I don’t think Rainbow is much of a dancer…”

“You might just be surprised, darling. Rainbow is more knowledgeable about things than she lets on.”

“Except wine, clearly.”

Trixie muttered.

Rarity raised an eyebrow.

“Really? Well… that’s strange… She and I have most definitely had discussions involving wines, and spirits. She’s actually quite a fun mare to drink with!”

“She said that she thought that there were only red and white wines…”

“Hmmm… perhaps she wasn’t paying attention then… but… she talked fine with me before about them…”

“I’ll just chalk it up to something that doesn’t make sense for now…”

“Very well, darling. Now! Hurry along! Don’t keep your partner waiting for too long! She looks absolutely lost without you!”

Rarity winked at her, before turning and seemingly gliding away. Slipping effortlessly between nobility and guards alike. Trixie watched her go, seeing her making her way towards the musicians, a grey earth pony among them.

Guess that’s her way of making sure…

Trixie thought as she saw Rarity whisper something into the cellist’s ear, she then turned back towards Rainbow, the music slowing and quieting.

Well… here goes nothing.

The introduction to the next song started, and everypony in the room started to quiet down and move to find their dancing partners. Trixie swallowed a nervous lump, before approaching Rainbow who was idly tapping her hoof in tune with the music.

“Uhm… Rainbow…”

Her voice came out small, so she cleared her throat and tried again.

“Would you uhm… dance. Me, with?”

Rainbow’s eyes met Trixie’s, shining.

“Do you mean it?”

Trixie nodded.

“Oh yesyesyes! Let’s go!”

The music started to increase in volume, starting slow.

Oh no…

Trixie recognized the introduction, and her heartbeat started up again. The way the music was playing, it sounded like…

Rainbow Dash’s ears twitched, and slowly she started to smirk, her eyes turning half-lidded.

Oh dear…
Trixie had already committed though, so it was now or never. She bit back her nervousness and terror, and firmly took Rainbow’s hoof. She had asked Rainbow, so that meant she was leading. She guided them towards the dance floor and, after taking one last deep breath, reared up with Rainbow, balancing on her hindlegs. Surprisingly Rainbow effortlessly mirrored her.

Rarity must’ve planned this… sneaky little… grrrr! I love and hate her in equal amounts right now!
Trixie stood firm though, she and Rarity were going to have words but for now… all that there was to do was wait for the dance to start in earnest.

As more and more guests paired up, and moved towards the center of the room, the music slowly increased in tempo and volume.

Here we go…

The first notes struck, and Trixie led Rainbow through some of the opening steps. Rainbow followed her easily.

One and two, and three— four.
“Seems like a pretty simple dance so far, you going to give me a challenge here, Trix?”

Trixie continued to follow the music and steps.

“The music will guide how we move, dear Rainbow. First rules of dance. Be in the moment. Move as the music directs.”

“Ha!”

“You seem to be following pretty well though.”

The music continued playing, as the two moved across the floor, in their own world.

“Well, we Pegasi all learn formal dance at a very young age.”

This caught Trixie off-guard, and she nearly lost her place in the steps.

“Is that so?”

She quickly said, trying to cover her near-misstep.

“Yeah, it helps to teach balance and movement for flying. You have to be in tune with how your body moves in the air, and the first step to that is learning how to control your body in a dance.”

Trixie and Rainbow did a slow spin with the music.

“Well then, surely one such as you would know how to take lead here then, hmmm?”

“I could dance circles around and with you, Trix.”

Trixie smirked.

“Prove it.”

Rainbow only gave her a cocky smile in response, and they continued their movements. Once the music allowed for it, Rainbow smoothly shifted into the lead, so expertly that Trixie almost didn’t notice. Almost.

Rainbow’s confident smirk never left her face.

Some of the more novice dancers in the crowd had taken their leave at the lead change, and had vacated the floor. Trixie didn’t notice though. All she noticed was the music speeding up, and Rainbow speeding up along with it.

Okay then, Rainbow. Challenge accepted.

“That wasn’t half-bad, Dashie.”

“Surprised, Moonbeam?”

Trixie hummed, before nodding.

“Perhaps.”

“Ha! You’re dancing with an expert, believe you me! I was always one of the greatest dancers in class.”

Trixie simply grinned.

They kept moving, some of the more experienced dancers were also making their way off the floor, but the music kept playing, so Rainbow and Trixie kept moving.

“Well then, Rainbow.”

Rainbow spun Trixie, who followed through elegantly. At the end of the spin, Trixie realized they were much closer together now.

“An expert can keep in step… No matter the distractions.”

“Oh yeah? Well, I can handle anything!”

“Oh? Anything?”

Trixie and Rainbow twirled around each other, increasing and decreasing their pace as the music dictated. Trixie absently realized that they were slowly being given more and more space, but that didn’t matter to her.

“Anything.”

Rainbow said confidently, and Trixie’s eyes turned half-lidded. She let out a short, sinister chuckle. The next spin that Rainbow led her through, she acted without thinking, when she was brought back in she leaned up and gave Rainbow’s ear a slight nibble at the exact moment the music allowed for a lead change.

Her action made Rainbow falter for a very brief moment. That was all she needed, and she moved with the spin, once again seizing control of the dance– fluttering her eyelashes at Rainbow.

“Anything, you say…”

Rainbow quickly recovered and was quiet for a moment. Then Trixie saw her eyes flash.

Better not disappoint, Dashie…
Trixie’s mind whispered.

The crowd had all but dissipated at this point during the dance. Rainbow and Trixie remained steadfastly focused on each other. The music went on, and some ponies started whispering amongst themselves.

The music suddenly shifted, and Trixie threw Rainbow out. As she was thrown out, Rainbow sank down, by the time Trixie had pulled her back, she was kneeling before her partner. Trixie pulled Rainbow up, spinning her at the same time, and pulling the Pegasus back against her.

Rainbow exhaled sharply, submitting to Trixie’s lead. They remained together for a while, simply pressed against each other; then Rainbow slowly slid down Trixie’s body. Trixie’s hooves began to wander down Rainbow’s body, caressing her sides. The music started becoming background noise to them. Serving only to guide them through their movements, and to determine their next steps.

The music sped up, Rainbow twirled around her partner with her wings wrapped around Trixie’s waist. She took the lead wordlessly. They hold position, tight against one another again. The music did not demand more than simple steps. Rainbow took this opportunity to make a trail of kisses up Trixie’s neck, and to her ear, which she gently took between her teeth.

Trixie could almost feel the smugness radiating off of her partner… or was that just body heat?

Maybe even a more… primal heat…

The two of them were alone on the dance floor now, and even the murmuring had subsided. All that existed was the music, and them. The music turned softer, more intimate. Rainbow and Trixie started moving their hips together, causing friction.

Trixie and Rainbow’s eyes were both closed, as they moved as one to the music. Rainbow’s hoof slowly traced down her partner, coming to a rest on her cutie mark. The music continued to slow down, but the building orchestra indicated it was going to speed up soon. Rainbow traced the mark, then moved back up to her waist. Trixie turned her head sharply to the side, and they began to walk together. The music jumped once more, and Rainbow spun Trixie. They stared into each other’s eyes for a small eternity, their snouts touching. Rainbow then spun her back around, and shoved her away. Trixie moved with the music, stopping a short distance away in a kneel. She stood up, and walked down the dance floor, as if connected by an invisible string to her partner. She suddenly halted, and looked over her shoulder at Rainbow.

Rainbow beckoned with a wing, calling Trixie back. Trixie threw her mane to the side, then spun along the invisible string back into Rainbow, who wrapped her wings around her. Trixie wrapped her legs around Rainbow as the music built up, and Rainbow started spinning her–lifting her off the floor. They spun around, over and over with the swelling music. Then, as the music reached its climax, Rainbow dipped Trixie, and kissed her deeply.

They held the kiss, both eyes closed, with Trixie curling her hooves around Rainbow’s neck. Once music went silent then, and only then did they release each other’s lips. Breathing heavily, eyes locked on one another.

After a small eternity of silence, a sole hoof started stomping. Then more joined. Then more, until the entire ballroom was filled with the sound of stomping hooves, cheers and applause.

But Trixie and Rainbow only noticed each other. They were the only two that mattered.