• Published 17th May 2021
  • 831 Views, 74 Comments

Guardian Angel - Absentialucci



Trixie never intended to hurt anycreature... it was all just a part of the act! Why couldn't ponies see that?

  • ...
4
 74
 831

Chapter 3

The Canterlot Dungeons weren’t that bad, all things considered… Trixie was guaranteed three meals a day, had shelter, and didn’t have much in the way of responsibilities.

Just having a roof over her head, and guaranteed meals was better than she was used to. The first week she couldn’t eat more than one meal a day. The second week, she was able to eat 2 meals a day. The third week… Rainbow Dash showed up.

Trixie sat in her cell, and contemplated her life. The past year she had barely been able to keep above water. Her shows weren’t bringing in the audiences she had gotten used to, and though she tried to conserve her money, 100 bits can only go so far.

Trixie sighed. No point in staying in the past. She had a chance to make it right.

I can do this.

“So, are you going to keep moping all day, or are you going to bask in the greatness of the one, the only, Rainbow Dash!”

Trixie jumped nearly to the ceiling of her cell.

How did she--

“Please, please contain your applause. I know, I’m amazing. No need to tell me.”

“Trixie… is simply wondering what it is that you’re doing here?”

Rainbow paused for a second, then turned her back on Trixie, and leaned against the bars.

“I was coming to check up on you, no big deal.”

She said with a nonchalant gesture of her hoof.

“Trixie… would like to thank you for saving her life… She wants you to know that it won’t be forgotten.”

Rainbow Dash looked over her shoulder at Trixie, seeming to study her face, then with a shrug, turned back around.

“Well, duh. Obviously.”

“Why did you?”

Trixie asked plainly. Rainbow Dash tensed up, before lowering herself to four hooves, and turning to face Trixie fully once more. Her eyes were sharp, taking note of everything within Trixie’s cell.

Trixie suddenly felt very exposed.

“Why wouldn’t I?”

Trixie stared at Rainbow Dash, mouthing the words. Then she shook her head in disbelief.

“Because… Trixie was awful to Ponyville! She was nothing more than a bully! And she banished Twilight Sparkle from her own home!”

Trixie’s voice lowered to that of a whisper.

“Trixie was… cruel.”

“Why should that matter?”

Came the pointed retort. Trixie once again found herself not knowing what to say. Rainbow Dash must’ve taken Trixie’s silence as permission to continue.

“Yeah, you were a real jerk. But nopony deserves to be ripped to shreds by timberwolves. Besides… after I flew you to Canterlot, Twilight told me about the amulet--”

“Wait, you flew Trixie all the way to Canterlot?”

Trixie interrupted.

“Uh… yeah! Nopony else would’ve been fast enough. You were… in pretty bad shape.”

Trixie flinched.

“What did Twilight tell you about the amulet?”

Rainbow Dash was leaning against the bars again.

“I didn’t understand half of her egghead speech, but she said something about it controlling you. So, I figured it wouldn’t be fair to judge you based on your actions under the effects of the amulet.”

It’s much more complicated than that… surely Twilight told her that! I had to perform a ritual, and attune to it. It may have altered my personality… but I wanted it to. I was just… so focussed on the power it would give me… So focussed on getting even…

“Hey, are you paying attention? It’s very rude to ignore a pony who’s talking to you!”

Trixie broke out of her internal rambling.

“Trixie apologizes… she was just deep in thought.”

“Yeah yeah, whatever. Anyway, as I was saying, I just wanted to make sure you were recovering alright. This was the earliest I could make it. I gotta fly though, visiting time is almost over.”

And with that, she started towards the entrance.

“Wait!”

Trixie called, Rainbow Dash paused, then turned to face Trixie.

“Yeah? What is it?”

“Could you… talk with Trixie… again some time? It was… nice to talk to another pony. The spiders in here don’t want to talk about anything except web design, and what bug is the most scrumptious.”

Rainbow Dash snickered, while hiding behind her hoof.

“Heh ha! That was a good one, Trixie!”

She studied Trixie again, Trixie shuffled her hooves uncomfortably. Then Dash smirked.

“Sure, I can fit you in my schedule”

Trixie let out a breath she didn’t know she’d been holding.

“Thank you, Rainbow Dash. That means a lot to Trixie.”

“Yunno, you’re not all that bad actually, Trixie. See ya!”

And then she was gone. Trixie sighed, and settled back down on her sitting space.

Back to being alone… apart from the guardsponies who bring me my meals. They never have anything interesting to say though. Always in a rush to leave.

Trixie settled down to sleep.

Well, until the next meal.

***

Prison food, albeit bland, wasn’t too bad. It was filling, and warm. The water was fresh, as if from a spring, and Trixie had a mattress. Something she wasn’t used to, at all. Trixie was bored though. Not much to do in the cell, except think. Trixie groaned, thinking was a double-edged sword. On one hoof, it gave Trixie a long time to contemplate what she’d done in life, and make plans for the future.

Once her sentence… however long that was, she figured she’d earn herself some money. The showbiz would always be her soul job, but sometimes reality demanded that one put aside their dreams temporarily, in order to focus on improving skills, and evolving as a pony. That didn’t mean to give up on one’s dreams entirely of course. That would be foalish. Dreams are what define a pony. What they’ll become, what they’ll be remembered for.

On the other hoof though… thinking meant that Trixie couldn’t run from her past anymore. There were no convenient distractions to get in the way of things. So, Trixie would sometimes wake up crying. She never really knew what had happened to her family. She was raised in an orphanage in Canterlot, the only link to her family being her, now destroyed, wagon, and a simple cloak. Now she had neither, and would never again have them.

Trixie felt like a piece of her soul was missing. Who were her parents? What kind of ponies were they?
Would they be proud of who I am today? Locked up in the dungeons of Canterlot because I tampered with dark magicks? All based around some… petty revenge that in the end I didn’t even want?

What did they do for a living?

Why did they abandon me?

Were they dead? If that was the case… who, or what, killed them? Was it from natural causes? Did her mother have complications at birth?

Am I the reason my mother is gone? And did my father leave after he saw that I had killed his wife?
Trixie understood that these thoughts were irrational. There was no way she should be responsible for what her parents did. And yet… that feeling of guilt still existed. She got it in her head… but not in her heart.

Musings like these led to Trixie welcoming something, anything, happening to break the monotony. She hadn’t seen Rainbow Dash in a few days.

I wonder if she’ll ever really come back…

Then the entrance opened, and in stepped Princess Cadence.

“P-Princess! This is… an unexpected pleasure.”

Trixie tried to ignore the sinking sensation she felt in her chest, as she lowered herself into a bow.

“That’s quite alright Miss Lulamoon. No need to be formal, I’m here to talk, actually.”
Cadence’s smile never left her face as she spoke, and Trixie couldn’t help but feel comforted. Raising into a more casual resting position, Trixie noted the clipboard surrounded by Cadence’s blue magical aura, and the curious look in the princess’s eyes.

“Of course, your majesty, Trixie would be happy to answer any questions you have for her.”

Princess Cadence chuckled airidly.

“Well, for starters, how are you doing? Mentally, I mean. You’ve been mostly by yourself for 3 and a half weeks. Are you feeling okay?”

“Trixie is well, bored occasionally, but for the most part she’s doing well.”

Princess Cadence looked concerned.

“Trixie-may I call you that?”

Trixie nodded.

“Well, Trixie, to put it bluntly, the guards have reported you muttering constantly in your sleep, and there are several reports of you waking up with tears in your eyes. It’s very important that you’re honest with me. I’m not here to grill you though, so if you ever feel uncomfortable, don’t hesitate to ask me to leave.”

She chuckled again.

“I won’t be offended. So, I’ll ask again. How are you doing? And I ask that as a pony who is genuinely concerned for your mental well-being”

Trixie was silent for a while, trying to get her thoughts in order. She decided to be succinct, and honest. No point in hiding anything.

“Trixie is… feeling lonely. Trixie fears that her past demons are catching up to her in her isolation. Trixie is also looking to the future though. It’s a very confusing combination of emotions.”

Princess Cadence scribbled some notes down on her clipboard.

“Would you like to talk about any of these demons you have?”

“No, Trixie would rather not.”

“I won’t force you to talk about anything you’re uncomfortable with. How about this loneliness? Our records show that Rainbow Dash came to visit you not too long ago. What was it that you two talked about? If you don’t mind me asking.”

Trixie considered what the princess had asked. She knew she could say that she didn’t want to talk anymore, and that the princess would pack up her clipboard, and walk right back out the door. A part of her wanted that. She was… in a vulnerable position. And she wasn’t used to that. Yet, at the same time, the promise of companionship, even if professional, was alluring.

“Rainbow Dash was simply coming in to check up on Trixie. She said that she wanted to make sure Trixie was recovering, and then we got into a conversation.”

“Do you think you’d be happier if Miss Dash came by more often?”

“Trixie would… like that. Yes. It’s only been a few days, but Trixie already finds herself missing talking with another creature.”

“What about me? Would you prefer I left and didn’t come back anymore?”

“No… Trixie finds your companionship enjoyable.”

Princess Cadence seemed taken aback by that.

“Even though it was me who arrested you?”

“You didn’t arrest Trixie, Trixie turned herself in. She wouldn’t lower herself to being turned in by anycreature other than herself.”

“That’s… an interesting way to put it. Okay. I only have enough time for one more question. What are your plans once you are released?”

I’m willing to bet it’s more than curiosity that drove that question. Especially as everything I’m saying is being transcribed.
“Trixie would simply like to work to earn enough bits until she can buy herself another wagon so she can be a travelling entertainer again.”

Cadence scribbled down some more notes into her clipboard.

“Well, thank you for your time, Trixie. Maybe we can do this again sometime soon?”

“Trixie would like that, yes.”

And then she was gone, and Trixie was left alone again.

Well… until the next meal, I suppose. I hope Rainbow Dash stops by again today…