• Published 22nd Apr 2021
  • 923 Views, 159 Comments

My Role To The Princess - The Sleepless Beholder



Through long anxious nights and angry early mornings I stand at her side, giving her majesty what she desperately needs... a friend.

  • ...
6
 159
 923

Pointless

"I guess our little vacation from dumb visions is officially over," Celestia says, looking out the window as she always does. "At least this one's something minor. Still, I don't get why establish a weekly letter system only to throw it away later."

Why, indeed. What would be its purpose? A form of control? Some sort of reward system?

“I just hope that we can at least guess what she's learning from these experiences.”

Is that it? An indoctrination of Equestria’s greatest mage and head of the Elements of Harmony?

"Raven?"

I snap out of my thoughts, shaking my head. "Sorry, I was… what did you say?"

"Are you okay?" She asks, leaving the window to move closer to me.

"Yes. It's just… I'm..." I stammer uselessly.

Celestia lowers her head, concern clear in her eyes. "Are you sad that Greenhooves left?"

Oh... yeah… I almost forgot. "A bit…" I raise my head, looking at the princess' eyes. "Can I have the day off?"

Celestia’s motherly side immediately takes over, and I see her wings moving instinctively, getting ready to hug me in case I need it. "Of course, Raven. Take all the time you need."

I give her the best smile I can muster, trying to ease her nerves. "Thank you."

The princess places a wing on my shoulder. "If you feel like you need to talk about it, I'm always willing to listen. Luna will help you too. I've noticed you two getting closer lately."

"I'll keep it in mind." I give her a smile and leave the room, hoping that she will be okay without me for a while. I’m not going to be of much help anyway.

Needing time to think, I make my way to the gardens, the only place I know has some peace for me.

At least I hope it still has.

As I move through the hallways of the castle, my ears are kept raised, waiting to hear that voice again, coming from nowhere.

But I only get silence, and I don't know if that's good or bad. I’m starting to question if I even heard a voice in the first place. It might have just been Discord’s magic or my own paranoia. Things would be easier if I hadn’t heard it.

Maybe I wasn’t meant to hear it?

When I arrive at the gardens, I sit down in my usual spot in the middle of it, trying to clear my head, but everything’s too quiet.

The garden's animals are still scared after Discord’s magic messed with them, so there are no birds singing, or soft steps in the grass, or the usual chittering. There isn’t even any whistling.

I never expected to miss whistling.

I never expected to miss Greenhooves.

We weren't exactly friends, nor really connected or anything, but him leaving just felt… wrong for some reason. I guess I just assumed that he would be staying here till his last day.

But I don't blame him. Tending to the gardens is one thing, having the gardens turn on you due to chaos magic is another.

"There's always time to change your life for the better." He said to me before leaving, and that just got stuck in the back of my head.

But what change can I do?

I can’t just leave Celestia’s side. Especially now that I know there’s something going on. I'm as trapped in this as she is.

Can I maybe find out what's exactly behind the visions? Make a more clear deal between it and Celestia? How much does it know about us?

"Can you hear me?" I say looking at the sky. "Can we talk? Can you give me a vision tonight?" I wait a few minutes, but there's no answer. "How can I trust you?"

I keep waiting, but I get nothing.

I grit my teeth, frowning with frustration.

"Why should I play along with your plan if you don't show your face?!" I scream to the heavens, standing up, ready to face this thing if it finally decides to present itself. "If you don't give me answers, I'll just leave. You won't have me stopping Celestia from disobeying your visions! Maybe I'll just confirm her suspicions about you. I'm sure she won't listen to a word of those visions after that!"

Still nothing. Does it not care? Does it have such control over our lives that even our opinions are irrelevant? Is she going to wipe my memories away? Why hasn’t it done that already? Is this also part of her plan? How is it...

“You told me what you wanted, but how are you sure that what you’re doing is the right way to achieve it? Wouldn’t it be better to work together?!”

I wait for an answer.

And wait.

And wait.

A growl escapes my clenched teeth. “Fine. Keep your plans to yourself. But I-”

“I guess it’s for the best that I show you.”

Despite waiting for it, I can help but shiver as the words enter my mind. “Show me what?”

“My own vision of the future.”