• Published 22nd Apr 2021
  • 909 Views, 159 Comments

My Role To The Princess - The Sleepless Beholder



Through long anxious nights and angry early mornings I stand at her side, giving her majesty what she desperately needs... a friend.

  • ...
6
 159
 909

Anxiety

“Inkwell! Good to see you. Will you take the usual?” Tea Cup asks, smiling as he pokes his head out of the kitchen.

“I’ll need it to be a bit stronger than usual, today will be a long night,” I tell him while cleaning my glasses. “And add two or three slices of cake.”

“Oh, one of those nights,” Tea Cup says as he dives back into the kitchen. “I had hoped the return of her sister would end the long nights.”

“They’ll probably never stop.” I rub my eyes to keep them from staying shut. “I had hoped so too. Luckily, we still have you around. Your tea is her majesty’s favorite.”

“I do my best so she can be at peace.” He says while finishing my order.

“And she really appreciates it,” I say as my horn lights up and picks up the coffee and tea he offers me and a small tray with four slices of cake.

“You don’t want a waiter to help you?” Tea Cup offers, as always.

“I got it. Thank you.” I wave him goodbye before marching off towards Celestia’s bedroom.

The castle's very quiet at this time of night with most, if not all, of the staff except the night guard going to bed to be ready for tomorrow. Celestia and I would be some of them, but the princess wouldn’t be able to rest yet.

Not until she was sure Twilight was safe.

I knock the door to Celestia’s bedroom out of politeness before entering, and I find her right where I expected her to be; looking out the window, with the same expression she had every time she looked at the face of her sister plastered on the moon.

“I brought your tea, your majesty,” I inform her before placing the cup at her side, and silently add the plate full of cake. “Has it begun already?”

“Not yet,” Celestia answers before lifting the cup with her magic. “Why did it have to be an Ursa?”

“At least it isn’t a Major,” I tell her before sipping my coffee.

“It shouldn’t be any kind of Ursa!” Celestia protests. “What’s even the lesson here?!” She crams one of the slices of cake into her mouth and chews anxiously.

I remain as calm as I can. “I guess we’ll know when your student writes her report.” I watch as she eats another slice of cake, already reaching out for a third. “Shouldn’t the return of your sister prove that your visions are to be trusted?”

Celestia shakes her head, almost disgusted with the question itself. “A thousand things could’ve gone wrong.”

“But a thousand things went right,” I counter. “And while she still needs some time to fully recuperate, your sister's back at your side.”

“She shouldn’t have ever been gone in the first place.”

“You didn’t have visions back then.”

“How convenient!” She shouts, immediately sighing her anger away and slumping down. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t worry, your majesty. I understand how difficult it is for you.” I assure her, offering the last slice of cake.

Celestia’s head suddenly perks up, and she moves closer to the window. “It’s starting.” I could see all her muscles tensing, and made a mental note to squeeze some hours in the private spa for her tomorrow. “Please... Twilight… everypony... be safe.”

I look out the window, but Ponyville is too far away for me to distinguish anything, so I’m forced to rely on Celestia’s reactions.

I watch as her eyes focus fiercely on the distance, threatening to pop out at any moment. The marble windowsill starts to crack under her tense grip, and her wings are but a simple cry of pain away from extending and sending her straight into Ponyville. But she never does. She remains fixed to the ground, holding her breath, thinking a mile a minute, going through list after list of things that could go wrong, shortening her luckily long lifetime with anxiety, until finally... the danger passes.

I quickly catch her as she practically deflates from her previous tension, but it’s a good sign. “I got you.”

“Thank you, Raven,” she says before returning to her usual regal pose, albeit more disheveled than normal. “For always being here.”

I smile, picking up the empty plate and mugs. “Thank you for letting me be here.”

She copies my smile before taking the dishes from me and teleporting them to the kitchen. “It’s one of the best decisions I’ve made.” She looks back through the window, and her smile fades. “We should send some aid for the magician.”

I sigh. “You know we can’t.”

“You can't tell me that she’s destined to be homeless and starving,” she says angrily, but not directed at me. She’s still looking out the window.

I shake my head. “We can’t interfere with what’s shown in your dreams unless it asks you to. Whatever’s giving you these visions must have a plan.”

“If their plan is to make my ponies suffer, then they can-” Celestia stops herself for a second before looking away. “You know.”

A giggle escapes my lips. “I share the sentiment. But it hasn’t betrayed us.”

“Yet,” Celestia adds somberly.

“It won’t.”

“How can you be sure?” She asks, turning her head towards me.

“I’m not, but expecting everything to go wrong will kill you. And so will many things that will come in the future if Twilight isn’t ready to stop them.” I explain calmly, defusing the situation like many times before. “Your sister was just the first.”

Celestia says nothing, staring out the window for some very long minutes.

I wait right beside her.

Eventually, she lets out a long sigh, and moves towards the bed. “I hope I won’t dream tonight.”

“I’ll be here in the morning,” I say before going for the door.

“Good night, Raven,” she says as she settles into bed. “And thank you.”

“Good night, your majesty.” I close the door and move to the next room to the right, where my own bedroom resides.

When I arrived at the castle, I was told this was once Sunset Shimmer’s room. They had cleared it out for me and what little things I had brought from Ponyville. It was a clear sign that Celestia had chosen me as her assistant for a reason.

I always wonder if that reason came from a dream.

Once I’m in bed, I fiddle with my little horn till I hear it detach from my skull and set it on my end table before going to sleep.