• Published 21st Dec 2011
  • 8,872 Views, 1,087 Comments

Filly Fantasy VI - The Return of Magic - The Wyld Stallynz

  • ...
26
 1,087
 8,872

PreviousChapters Next
In Which a Meme is Born

“This is all your fault, you know.”

“Shaddap.”

“I came here to find work and make a killing, but noooooooo, you had to have delusions of grandeur. And now we’re stuck here with no weapons, no food, and no hope of escape.”

“Would you quit your whining, already?”

“Whining? Mare Do Well does not whine, you country bumpkin. I’m complaining.”

“Then stop complaining, darn you!” Applejack roared. “I didn’t ask you to follow me.”

Mare Do Well harrumphed and turned her nose up in the air. “You’re right. I should never have agreed to follow you.”

Applejack glared at the masked pony. If it weren’t for the silver bars separating their cells, the farmer had half a mind to buck Mare Do Well until the annoying unicorn’s coat was as purple as her cape. Unfortunately, that little fantasy would have to wait. The bars the two mares were trapped behind were made of mythril, and not even a firm Pummeling had an effect on them. Mare Do Well’s magic similarly slipped off the mystical metal as though the bars were a greased pig. They weren’t going anywhere unless their captors allowed it.

A pitiful mew came from a smaller cage further down the dungeon hall, gaining Mare Do Well’s attention. “I’m sorry Opal, but Mommy can’t help you. My magic doesn’t reach that far. We’ll just have to wait until these ruffians decide to come down here so that I can give them a good whats for!”

“Yeah, it’s been over an hour since they put us in here,” Applejack stated, looking up at the ceiling. “Just what in the name of oats and apples have they been doing all this time?”

.o.O.o.

Several floors above, a long wooden table with a plethora of food and drink was set up within the grand dining room of the castle. The room was large enough to hold a hundred ponies and still have room for more. Tapestries displaying battles of old and banners of the kingdom’s seal hung from the walls and ceilings. Set up against the walls of the room at regular intervals were gleaming suits of armor on pegs, showing off the history of warriors long gone.

King Domare, a large brown stallion with several battle scars littered over his body, held up a golden goblet and declared, “A toast! To our victorious soldiers!”

“Hurray!” came the answering cry.

“The Empire thought they had found easy pickings, but our strength and valor have proven that we are not to be trifled with!”

“Huzzah!”

“And let us not forget the brave soldiers who fell in the line of duty! May their souls rest in peace!”

“Hurrah!”

“To Domare!” His speech given, the king downed the contents of his goblet in one gulp. Around him, his faithful subjects did the same with their own cups, then slammed the cups down on the dining room table. Servants quickly refilled all the cups and passed them around to others in the crowd.

One servant spotted Shining Armor, who was mingling with his guards and congratulating them on the battle. The servant walked up to him and offered him a cup. “Sire, please have a drink, compliments of our king.”

Shining Armor eyed the offered drink dubiously. “I don’t know if I should. We’re technically still on alert.” He cast a quick glance around the room and smirked when he saw that everypony’s attention was elsewhere. “... Buuuut, maybe a little won’t hurt.” He reached forward with his pink magic to take hold of the cup—

—only for a light blue aura to surround it instead. The cup floated past a stunned Shining Armor where it came to rest in front of a pink pony mare with both a horn and wings. Before he could react, the newcomer drank the liquid with one graceful sip and then returned the cup back to the servant.

“Shiney, trying to slip one past while still on duty? Tsk. What would father say?”

Shining Armor sheepishly smiled and pawed at the floor. “We watered it down...” he weakly defended.

Princess Mi Amore Cadenza sidled up to her husband and nuzzled him on the cheek. “Don’t worry. I’ll save plenty for you once this war is over. Until then, my prince, better stay vigilant.”

“Heh, yes dear.”

“Daddy!”

A white blur shot from behind Cadence and wrapped itself around Shining Armor’s neck. “Did we win? Huh? Huh? Huh?”

“Easy there, son,” Shining Armor said to his young colt. The little unicorn pouted at the nickname, but Shining Armor smiled and rubbed his son’s maroon mane affectionately and placed him down on the floor. “Yes, we won. But there’s still more battles that I’ll have to deal with, so be a good boy and protect your mother. Okay?”

“Okay!” His son saluted, ran in front of Cadence and puffed out his chest. “No bad guys will get by me!”

Shining Armor smiled and gave a salute of his own. “I’ll hold you to that, soldier. Now, be brave while I have a chat with some new friends of ours.”

The young colt enthusiastically returned the salute. “Yes, sir!”

Cadence chuckled at the antics. She stepped up to her husband and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. “Do us proud.”

With his cheeks burning and his smile widening, Shining Armor nodded and trotted off for the exit. The sounds of merriment and laughter faded away as he made his way deeper and deeper into the castle.

.o.O.o.

“Forty-seven buckets of oats on the wall, forty-seven buckets of oats. Take one down, pass it around, you got forty-six buckets of oats on the wall. Forty-six buckets of oats on the wall—”

A door opened at the end of the hall, spilling in daylight into the dank dungeon and stopping Applejack’s song.

“Oh, thank the sun!” Mare Do Well cried out. She ran up to the bars of her cell, wrapped her hooves around them and shook them as violently as she could. “Let me out of this cell! Or at least put me someplace where I shan't hear this mockery of music assaulting my ears!”

Shining Armor, followed by two Domarian guards, stepped through the door and up to his two captives. His gaze drifted from one to the other until settling on Mare Do Well. “What’s with the outfit? You some special Empire spy?”

Mare Do Well snorted. “Hardly. If I was, do you really think this would keep me inconspicuous?”

“Good point. So let’s see who’s underneath the mask.” Mare Do Well gasped as a pink aura surrounded her cowl and lifted it above her head. Her white face became revealed, followed by a cascade of curly purple hair.

“How dare you!” Mare Do Well screamed. She gnashed her teeth and lit up her horn with a blue glow, but the feeling of a pointed edge against her throat dissuaded her from using her gathered magic. She glanced down and resisted the urge to gulp at the katana pressed against her coat.

“You have a pretty face, my lady,” Shining Armor stated calmly. “Please don’t give me a reason to mess it up.” He nodded when Mare Do Well’s magic around her horn disappeared, and he lowered his sword. “There, no harm done.”

The glare Mare Do Well sent Shining Armor’s way would have incinerated a lesser stallion. She opened her mouth to speak but somepony else beat her to it.

“Hey, I remember you,” Applejack said, her eyes widening at the sight of the white unicorn. “You’re that prissy mare I met back in South Fillygaro!” She gave a laugh and slapped the floor with a hoof. “Well don’t that beat all!”

“I fail to see what’s so funny about this,” the unicorn snapped.

Applejack let out a few more guffaws, wiped a stray tear from her eye and grinned at the mare. “I just never woulda guessed it would’ve been you all this time. Even your cat didn’t clue me in. Now don’t I feel a might silly. What was your name again?”

Mare Do Well looked pointedly away. “It hardly matters what my name is. Mare Do Well is all you need to know.”

“Actually, I would like to know,” Shining Armor spoke up. “And after you tell me your names, you can start telling me what you know about the Empire’s plans against us.” His katana levitated before him, the tip pointed towards the captive.

The unmasked unicorn mare snarled, baring her teeth. Shining Armor stared impassively back at her and tapped the bars with his weapon. “It’s Rarity.” She said her name as though it would cast a curse on the stallion in front of her.

“There, that wasn’t so hard.” Shining Armor faced the other captive. “And yours?”

“Applejack, owner of Fillygaro Orchards,” Applejack said. She tipped her hat, the one piece of clothing besides her horseshoes that she had managed to keep.

Shining Armor’s jaw dropped. “A-Applejack? The Applejack? The Empire’s ally?” He narrowed his eyes and pointed his katana at her. “You lie. What would somepony like that be doing fighting on the front lines? Or is the Empire that desperate?”

“Honest truth, partner. And I should let ya know, that my allegiance with the Empire is only a front. I’m one-hundred percent behind the Returners.

“As for being here...” Applejack looked away, cringing at her next words. “Well, that’s a long story. The long and short of it is that my orchard got attacked by my so-called allies and I had to flee. An accident sent me here when me and some others were on our way to Neighshe. The Empire wants an esper that was found there. So I’m on my way back to help ‘em out.”

“You’ll pardon me... if I find what you say hard to swallow,” Shining Armor replied once Applejack paused in her tale. “How can I believe you?”

Firming up her features, Applejack turned to face Shining Armor and stared him directly in the eyes. “The Returner leader is Mayor Mare. I’m sure you’ve heard the name. From what she told me, your king sent over one-hundred thousand gil to help us fund some of our early missions. I thank ya kindly for that, by the way.”

Shining Armor eyed Applejack for a time, measuring her words and the frank expression on her face. Finally, he sighed and placed his katana away. “This is too unreal. I need to speak to the king about this before I can do anything about letting you out.”

“And how long with that take, hmm?” Rarity asked, pointing her nose up into the air. “Waiting around in this dank dungeon is ruining my complexion, not to mention all the gil I’m losing out on from potential clients.”

“I can’t say. Just a little longer, my lady.” He turned to leave, but stopped mid-stride and turned back. “What were you doing with the army, by the way? You didn’t explain that.”

“Just tryin’ to sneak past and got caught up in all the fuss,” Applejack answered with a shrug. “We were just going to slip away and head south, but that no good feather duster Gilda was doing something sneaky...”

“... Yes?” Shining Armor prompted when Applejack remained silent for several seconds.

Her eyes were wide and wild as she said, “Did... did any of you find a small bottle where you found us?”

Shining Armor tilted his head, staring off into space. “I don’t remember seeing one, no.”

“Gilda was up to somethin’ when we fought her. Something about findin’ a drain. I... I think she meant to dump whatever she had in your water.”

Realization came swiftly. Shining Armor quickly turned on his guards and thrust a hoof towards the ceiling. “Get upstairs, quick!” He burst past them, charging down the hall and up the stairs as fast as he could go. His guards swiftly followed after him.

None of them noticed a blue aura lifting a set of keys off one of the guard’s sides as he raced away.

.o.O.o.

“My liege! Everyone! Stop drinking! Don’t...” Shining Armor’s voice trailed off as he entered the dining room. The sight that greeted him would forever be etched into his mind.

All around him, ponies lay on the floor or slouched against the table. Shining Armor ran up to the nearest stallion, propped him up and shook his shoulders. “Stay with me! Open your eyes!” The stallion in his forelegs didn’t respond, his head slumping against his chest the moment Shining Armor stopped jostling him. Breathing heavily, Shining placed the stallion down, next to a discarded, empty cup.

Behind him, the two guards entered the room and gaped at all their kinsmen laying prone everywhere they looked. Shining Armor stepped up to the two and bellowed, “Don’t just stand there! Check for survivors!” The guards nodded hurriedly and began inspecting each pony for signs of life.

“The king!” Shining Armor gasped. “Keep searching!” He galloped to the end of the dining room, keeping his eyes forward and not on the piles of ponies around him. He burst through a door connecting to the grand hall and waded through even more Domarians collapsed on the floor. A sob broke through his mouth as he passed Comet Tail sprawled over the stairs; stairs the yellow unicorn had been standing on not hours before giving orders to his troops. With a mighty buck, Shining Armor kicked open the heavy iron doors leading to the king’s room and rushed in. At the foot of the throne lay King Domare.

“My leige!” Shining Armor cleared the distance in two strides and cradled Domare in his hooves. “Your Majesty, please say something!”

For several heart-pounding moments, the king remained motionless. Then, slowly and tiredly, Domare creaked open his eyes. Domare coughed and stared blankly ahead.

“You’re alive!” Shining Armor exclaimed. He propped the king up into a more comfortable position. “Sir, stay with me! I’ll get help!”

“Shining... I...” Domare struggled to get out. “I... don’t have... much time.”

“Don’t speak! Save your strength.”

“Cadence. Go to... her.”

An icy cold feeling gripped Shining Armor’s chest. “I will! Just hold on.”

A weak cough came from the king, followed by a long, drawn out breath. Domare closed his eyes and remained still.

“Sire! Sire!”

Shining Armor shook his king, trying to keep Domare awake and aware. Reaching forward with a trembling hoof, he pressed against Domare’s neck. No pulse could be felt, nor any intakes of air.

“Sir!”

Shining Armor didn’t respond to his guard’s cry. He continued to hold the king, staring at the still body in his hooves.

“Sir. Is... is he?”

Shining Armor nodded wordlessly. He gently set down Domare on the floor and gave a solemn salute to his fallen monarch. A moment of silence passed, their grieving cut short with the pressing matters at hand. Shining Armor turned and headed out of the room, his guard following behind. They both closed the doors, sealing up their king within.

Finally, Shining Armor spoke. “Did you find any survivors?”

The guard looked away, unable to look his captain in the eye. “None so far.”

The freezing feeling returned, with added urgency. “Keep searching. I must check on Cadence.”

“Of course, sir.”

The two stallions separated, one heading for the residential quarters while Shining Armor rushed to the east tower where his room was located. A journey that should have taken minutes only took seconds as Shining Armor charged through the halls and up to his bedroom door. He burst through and shouted, “Cadence!”

A pink form laying at the foot of his bed caught his attention. “No...” He was at his wife’s side in an instant. He cradled Cadence’s body, even more gently than he had with the king. “Cadence... you... you can’t... Don’t leave me!

She didn’t respond. No hint of life remained in her. Tears welled within his eyes and he was no longer able to hold them back. The small droplets of water fell upon Cadence’s serene face. “This can’t be happening. This can’t be happening. This can’t be happening!”

Crying freely, Shining Armor lifted Cadence with his magic and placed her on the bed. He placed a tender kiss to his wife’s cheek and ran a hoof through her mane. “Wait for me, my darling. Just a little longer...” He gave her one last hug and kiss, then turned and headed for the door.

He had taken only a few steps when his pupils shrank to pin pricks and he bared his teeth. “WHY?!” he bellowed to the heavens. “Those sick bastards! I’ll never forgive them! I’ll kill them all!”

.o.O.o.

The castle was quiet. Too quiet. Death’s stink filled the air, causing Applejack’s hair on her coat to stand on end. Everywhere she looked, ponies lay where they fell. One pegasus pony must have fallen while flying, as she dangled over the outside castle way and threatened to fall over the side at any moment. Applejack hadn’t the heart to see the poor soul like that and had pulled her down with her lasso. She placed the Domarian next to her fellows, tipped her hat, and continued on her way.

“This... this is just awful,” Applejack said, her voice barely above a whisper.

“I know, darling,” Rarity, once again dressed in her Mare Do Well disguise, responded next to her. “I know.”

Applejack couldn’t find the words to express how horrified she was. Would this have been the fate of Fillygaro, if her orchard didn’t have its failsafe submergent system? Would she be walking past dead friends and colleagues, ponies she had known since she was a filly, if she hadn’t decided to run when she did?

It was too much. Applejack stumbled and fell, the urge to vomit welling within her. Rarity gasped, stepped up to her and knelt down beside her. “Dear, are you alright? You didn’t drink any of the water, did you?”

A wail escaped from Applejack, her eyes shut tight and tears leaking to the ground. She lay there, consumed with grief and sorrow. How long she remained that way, she couldn’t say. Rarity didn’t press her to keep moving.

Finally, Applejack’s sobbing ended. She sniffled a few times and wiped the tears from her muzzle. She looked up at Rarity, a desperate need in her eyes. “We need to stop them.”

Rarity looked away, her gaze sweeping over the bodies surrounding them. The poison had gotten to everypony, young and old alike. She shuddered, shook her head and offered a hoof to Applejack. “I’m inclined to agree. I will not stand to allow this to happen again. Let’s go.”

Applejack took a few seconds more to compose herself, then accepted the hoof and pulled herself up. “Right. We can’t stay here. We gotta head south.”

“Come along—”

The sound of sniffling alerted them of another’s presence.

Applejack’s ears perked up and the makings of a smile began to form. “Hey! Who’s there? Don’t be afraid! We ain’t gonna hurt ya!”

From underneath a red carpet that had been pushed up against a stone wall, a small colt peeked out and stared at the two mares. His eyes were wide, with tears streaming down his face and leaking on the floor. He ducked back under the carpet upon seeing two ponies he didn’t recognize. “Who... who are you?”

Rarity made to step forward but an orange hoof held her back. “Let me handle this. Yer not exactly dressed to be approachable.” Rarity snorted but deferred to the other mare. Applejack gave a grateful smile and trotted towards the young pony. “My name’s Applejack. This here’s... Mare Do Well. What’s yer name?”

The colt looked up at her with uncertain eyes. He swallowed and said, “Um, Spot—no... I mean...”

~ A rambunctious colt with a curious ability to find the problem before anypony else does... ~

“My name’s Spotter.”

“Well, howdy Spotter. Why don’t you come out from under there? I promise I ain’t gonna hurt ya.”

Spotter didn’t move an inch from his semi-hiding place. “I... I don’t know you. You could be from the bad guys.”

Applejack sighed. She sat down on the ground, bringing her head level to Spotter’s. “I don’t blame ya for thinking that. Things have been pretty scary for us too. I’m a Returner and we’re doing what we can to make things better.”

“Returner?” Spotter blinked away his tears and inched a little closer. “My daddy talked about them.”

“Really? Then you know we’re the good guys, right?”

“I guess...”

“So... whatcha doin’ out here?”

“I... I... was looking for help for... for my momma...” Like a switch had been thrown, Spotter began to cry uncontrollably. Applejack gulped and crept forward. She managed to get close enough to place a hoof on the colt’s back. Without warning, Spotter shot out from under the carpet and latched onto Applejack as though he were drowning and she were the only lifeline.

Applejack hesitated for only a moment before wrapping her hooves around the distraught colt. She patted and rubbed his back as he unleashed a torrent of tears onto her chest. Just like Rarity had done for her, Applejack let Spotter get it all out of his system. There was no hurrying grief when it came to family, something the farm pony was sadly very familiar with.

A furious cry shattered the somber moment.

Spotter jerked in Applejack’s legs and looked towards the sound. “D-Daddy?”

Suddenly, a side door burst open and Shining Armor charged out into the courtyard. The vicious look of death that his father had in his eyes made Spotter shrink back in shock and fear. The Domare captain rushed past his son and the two mares as though they weren’t even there. Shining Armor galloped straight for the main castle entrance but two guards stepped in front of him, baring his path.

“Sir, please st—”

The guard’s words were cut off as Shining Armor knocked his fellows aside like they were rag dolls, flinging them to opposite ends of the yard. His speed hadn’t slowed in the slightest. He reached the heavy iron doors leading out, kicked them open with a mighty buck, and headed out into the fading daylight.

“Dad!”

Spotter quickly squirmed his way out of Applejack’s grasp and ran after his father’s retreating figure.

“No, Spotter!” Applejack called after him. “It’s too dangerous!”

“I don’t think he’s in the right mind to listen to us now,” Rarity said, coming up next to Applejack. “Much like his father, it appears.”

“If they won’t listen to reason, then they’ll listen to the bottom of my hooves!” With that, Applejack took off at full speed, leaving Rarity behind in a cloud of dust.

The costumed vigilante huffed. “Why is everypony so quick to run off like that?” Heaving a sigh, Rarity followed after her reluctant companion.

.o.O.o.

“Everypony get into formation. We’ll be heading out in a few minutes.”

Imperial soldiers lined up at their commander’s orders, swiftly forming an offensive line. The two dozen ponies were lightly equipped, with only leather armor and holstered swords at their sides. It was a far cry from the army that had marched to war earlier that day, but given the intel that they had been given, they weren’t expecting much resistance.

The commander looked them over and nodded in approval. Today would be a day to remember. In one final push, Domare would be theirs for the taking. Making it all the sweeter was that General Zecora and that lunatic Gilda were no longer around to take the glory. Zecora had been called back to the Imperial capital while Gilda had been relocated to South Fillygaro to start the assault on Neigshe. With both high ranking officers gone, he would be the one to march into Domare and bask in the victory.

“Preparations finished? Alright then! March!”

The regime of soldiers saluted and trotted forward.

They stopped in their tracks as a white figure crested a hill at full gallop. A katana hovered before him in a telekinetic grip, its razor sharp edge pointed directly at them.

“I am Shining Armor, captain of his Majesty Domare! Have at you!”

Shining Armor plowed into the shocked soldiers before they even had a chance to draw their weapons. Two were cut down in an instant. A third attempted to draw his sword but he never got it out of its sheath. Training and constant drilling finally took over and the rest of the regime bore down on the lone stallion.

“Surround him!” the commander cried out. “Don’t let him get aw—” His orders abruptly cut off from a sword in his throat.

“Officers should know better than to give away their identities!” Shining Armor stated and pulled his sword free. He let out a yelp of pain as one soldier swiped at him with a sword, drawing a thin cut against his side. Shining Armor turned to face his assailant but a flash of steel out of the corner of his eye forced him to raise his katana to block a strike meant for his neck. He rolled away from a thrust to his chest from another, hopped back to his hooves and crossed swords with three separate blades from above. A mighty shove from both his weapon and forehooves pushed his enemies back.

“Tell me who’s responsible for the poison and I’ll spare your lives!”

The response from the Imperials came from pointed ends.

.o.O.o.

Spotter's legs shook when he moved, his throat burned when he breathed, and he was so exhausted he could barely see straight. Still, he forced himself onward in spite of the pain. He couldn't stop. He wouldn't stop.

His father was out there. Dad needed him. Mother would cry if he came back hurt. Spotter didn’t want to see that happen. There had been too much crying already. Big colts weren’t supposed to cry, not if they wanted to become big and strong like his father.

Without warning, Spotter felt something clip a hind hoof and the world spun around him. A dizzying kaleidoscope of colors and images rushed past his eyes. How long it lasted, Spotter didn’t know. What he did know was that when it stopped, he could feel grass tickling his nose and dirt under his belly. He blinked wearily and moved to stand back up, but his body wouldn’t obey his commands and fell back down. With his adrenaline ebbing away, his body reminded him of how tired it was and that it needed rest.

“Can’t... stop...” Spotter gasped out. He tried lifting his head but even that proved too much for him. He sagged against the ground, completely spent. The colt sniffed, feeling completely helpless. If only he weren’t so useless, he could save Shining Armor and bring him back home. They’d be greeted by Mother and they’d be happy again and everything would go back to how it was and...

Something wrapped around his torso and pulled him up from the ground. Spotter could do little more than gasp as all the aches and pains of his body flared up from the sudden movement. Unable to turn his head to see what was happening, he looked down to see an orange leg holding him up. A moment later, a hoof ran gently through his mane and a soft voice cooed, “Whoa there, partner. Take it easy.”

It was the mare he met at the castle. The nice one that had talked to him when he had been too frightened by all the unmoving ponies all over the place. Without realizing it, he snuggled into her embrace, feeling the same comfort that his mom would give him when he felt sad like now. He felt his eyes grow heavy as all he wanted to do was fall asleep and hopefully wake up from this bad dream.

Then an image of Shining Armor rushing out of the castle flashed in his mind’s eye.

“My... my dad...” Spotter croaked out. He coughed weakly, his body still recovering from his mad flight to find his father. “Please... help... my dad.”

“Shhhh, it’s okay. I had planned to. You just rest and I’ll do the rest.” She paused and her body turned slightly. “You gonna help? I could really use it.”

“I suppose,” another voice spoke, this one also a mare. “Though I must say this whole venture has been a complete disaster.”

“I’ll make it up to ya. A whole lifetime supply of apples, just fer you.”

“Well, with such a generous offer like that, how could I refuse?”

“Then let’s do it.” Spotter felt himself lifted again and laid on a soft but firm surface. What felt like rope was tied around him, keeping him in place. “Hang on there, little guy. We’re takin’ off.”

He was moving again, but now with somepony else doing the work. Spotter would have cried if he had any more tears to give. Instead, he gripped the sides of the pony he was riding as best he could and thanked his lucky stars for the help.

.o.O.o.

The moment Applejack reached the top of a hill overlooking the Imperial camp, she knew she didn’t have much time. Shining Armor was below and fighting like a pony possessed. Bodies of soldiers littered the ground all around him and more were being added every second. However, she could see reinforcements from the camp heading his way and no amount of fancy swordplay would be able to keep him alive for much longer. Minding her new passenger, Applejack charged forward with Rarity right behind her.

“Yeehaw!” the farmer roared at the top of her lungs. The distraction worked as several Imperials stopped in their tracks and turned their heads towards the unexpected sound. The next moment, they were knocked aside like bowling pins. “You boys are in for a bruisin’!”

Rarity was not idle either. She gracefully slipped past any pony attempting to engage her, bucking all that passed by. Underneath her purple hat, her horn lit up and she levitated a half-dozen small needles from within her costume. Opalescence suddenly leapt from her concealment and scratched and bit at two soldiers trying to flank Rarity. With them distracted, the masked unicorn embedded her improvised weapons into their soft leg tissue. The Imperials screamed in pain and dropped to the ground, clutching their limbs.

“Good work, Opal,” she said to her pet and scratched Opalescence behind the ears, eliciting a content purr. Rarity retracted the needles and made ready for her next opponent.

“I think we need some space!” Applejack said above the din of battle. She reared up on her hind legs and cupped her hooves together near her chest. “Aurabolt!” A brilliant beam of white light erupted out of her hooves and slammed into a line of soldiers heading her way. The power of the attack was such that it blasted the stunned Imperials far away from the rest of the battlefield. The rest of the remaining soldiers saw this and collectively decided that this was too much for them. A cry of retreat was heard and all the Imperials immediately stopped their fighting and fled for the base.

Applejack stuck a hoof into the air. “Git along, little ponies! Ha ha!”

A strangled cry from her back reminded her of the reason she was here. “Ah, shoot! Sorry there, Spotter!”

“Spotter?!”

All at once, Shining Armor was at Applejack’s side and cradled his son in his hooves as best he could. “Son! You’re alive! I... I... thought you were... were dead...” He held his son tightly, crying into his little body.

“Not on my watch, he ain’t,” Applejack said with a grin.

“As much as I hate to break up such a touching scene,” Rarity spoke up and pointed a hoof towards the camp, “we’re going to be having company soon.”

Sure enough, the rumble and clang of heavy equipment being powered up was heard from the encampment. It would only be a few minutes before the Empire’s magitek armor would bear down on them with the force of a behemoth.

“Then we better not be here when they get ready,” Applejack stated. She craned her neck and bopped her hoof against Shining Armor’s head, gaining his attention. “Hey! Where to?”

Shining Armor blinked. He looked up from holding his son, still strapped to Applejack’s back, realization of the situation entering his eyes. “We... we can’t go back to Domare. There’s... nopony left there to... to defend it.” His eyes darted from one end of the landscape to another, searching for any means of escape. His gaze finally settled to the south. “The Everfree Forest. It’s our only chance.”

“Right. Let’s blow this locus field!”

“Hold on. Let me get Spotter off your bac—”

Applejack pushed Shining Armor away before he could begin to untie his son. “He’ll only slow us down if we untie him. Don’t worry, I won’t let any harm come to him. You have my word.”

The stallion swallowed the lump forming in his throat. “... Alright. I believe you.”

The mare gestured with a hoof towards the south. “Lead the way, partner.”

Shining Armor nodded. “Right. This way.” With that, he galloped off, closely followed by the last two ponies he would ever expect to help him.

.o.O.o.

The Everfree Forest had been deemed by many sentient species to be a cursed place; a spot on the world where ponies went in, but never came out. Given the low hanging tree branches with their withered leaves and the ghostly mist that blanketed every inch of space, Applejack was inclined to agree.

“This place gives me the creeps,” she commented in a low tone. She had a dreadful feeling that raising her voice would alert any monsters hiding in the rolling fog.

Next to her, Shining Armor grunted his agreement. “You wouldn’t be the first to say that. This forest is the last place anypony in their right mind would come to. I’m hoping the Imperials are just as superstitious as the rest.”

“Let’s hope when Rarity gets back, she’ll have good news on that.”

“Indeed.”

The two ponies were in a small clearing next to a sparkling lake, waiting for the masked mare to return after volunteering to check on their pursuers. If anypony was qualified to sneak on their enemies without getting caught, it was Rarity.

It had only been a few minutes since Rarity left but already the oppressive forest around them was making Applejack uneasy. It was like the woods themselves were silently watching them. Applejack wanted nothing more than to keep moving and get out of the forest as fast as she could.

Suddenly, she felt a presence next to her and jumped with a shriek that echoed throughout the Everfree.

“Sorry!” Shining Armor waved his hooves in a placating manner and gave an embarrassed smile. “I didn’t mean to startle you.”

“Well, you did!” Applejack yelled back. Her heart beat so fast in her chest, she wondered if it would burst out. “What do you want?!”

“I... I just want to check on Spot.”

“Oh.”

Applejack looked away sheepishly, her cheeks burning with embarrassment. Spotter was still tied to her back. She turned so that the drowsy colt was facing his father. Shining Armor stepped up and ran a hoof through Spotter’s mane.

“Hey buddy. How you feeling?”

Spotter responded by giving a great yawn. “I’m tired...”

“Here, let me get you off of there and get you a drink. Okay?”

“Okay.”

Using his magic, Shining Armor untied the lasso holding his son to Applejack’s back and levitated Spotter up and onto his own back. He hoofed over the lasso to Applejack, nodded and headed for the lake. The mare took a moment to gather up her lasso and followed after them. At the lake shore, Shining Armor carefully held Spotter as the little colt lapped up the water with his pink tongue. Soon, Spotter had drank his fill and fell back into his father’s hooves. In no time, Spotter was snoring softly into Shining Armor’s chest.

“Cute little fella, ain’t he?” Applejack said, sitting down next to them.

“Yes,” Shining Armor replied. “Though, that probably comes from his mother.”

An uncomfortable silence followed. Just as Applejack thought it would be best to leave, Shining Armor spoke up. “I want to thank you for taking care of him back there. It means so much to me.”

Applejack gave a tiny smile. “Shucks, weren’t nothin’. Just the right thing to do.”

“After the way I treated you back in the dungeons, I didn’t think you’d want anything to do with me.”

“Look, it’s water under the bridge. You were just doin’ your job. Ain’t no harm done. I can’t speak for Rarity, but we’re fightin’ a common enemy and I can’t be holdin’ no grudges.” Applejack looked away and over the expansive lake. “Besides, I know a thing or three about losin’ family...”

“You’ve... lost some of your own?” Shining Armor gulped and his ears folded back when Applejack frowned and closed her eyes. Thinking fast, he blurted out, “You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to! I completely understand.”

The farmer didn’t respond right away, leaving Shining Armor worried that he had offended her. Kicking himself mentally for bringing up such a touchy subject, his mind raced for a solution out of this mess before he dug himself deeper.

Applejack beat him to it. “Nah. I brought it up. It’s... It’s alright. It’s been... a while now and—”

“The coast is clear, darlings!”

“GAAAAHHHH!”

Rarity stepped back as Applejack launched into the air and landed in Shining Armor’s forelegs. Though neither of them could see it, Rarity smirked underneath her mask. “Oh. Am I interrupting something?”

“What’s it with you ponies and scarin’ the daylights out of me today?!” Applejack roared. She quickly noticed where she had ended up and hastily vacated Shining Armor’s grip, a heavy blush forming on her muzzle. “Pardon.”

“N-No harm done,” Shining Armor said, grateful that he had acted fast enough to catch the startled mare and keep her from squashing his son.

“Whadja find out?” Applejack asked, sidestepping any potential questions that she wasn’t in the mood to answer.

“Well, the Empire turned back well before we reached the forest so we’re free and clear,” Rarity stated. “Also, on my way back I came across some railroad tracks and thought that we could follow them out of the forest. How’s that sound?”

“Railroad tracks?” Shining Armor spoke up. He furrowed his eyebrows in thought. “They must be what’s left of Domare’s railway system years ago. I think I was told that it used to run all the way from the castle to the Veldt.”

“Could the Veldt lead us to Neighshe in some way?” Applejack wondered.

“Maybe. It’s worth a shot at any rate.”

“Then it’s settled. Lead the way, Rarity.”

A low growl emanated from Rarity’s throat. “Dear, grant me one favor and refer to me as Mare Do Well. I have an identity to protect, even way out in the middle of nowhere.”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “Fine. Fine. Move ‘em out... Mare Do Well.”

“Very good. Follow me, if you would.”

.o.O.o.

Finding the train tracks was surprisingly easy, considering it was the dead of night and every inch of the forest was covered in dense foliage and deep mist. Dim moonlight filtered through the treetops, giving just enough light to see by but only a few hooves ahead at any time. It was as if the Everfree were opening up itself to let the ponies past. Within minutes, Rarity located the tracks and the group followed the southern rail. Nopony had much to say, content to keep quiet lest they attract the attention of any wild beasts in the area.

Once or twice, Applejack could have sworn she felt vibrations through the tracks underneath her. She shook off the sensation as nonsense. The tracks were crumbling beyond use. No train would be able to run off of them.

After a mile of travel, they came across something rather peculiar.

An old, decrepit station building loomed before them. It was constructed of brick walls and wooden roofing, though the roof had long since collapsed from termites and rot. A concrete platform where passengers could get off and on a train was still intact, though it too showed the effects of the elements and neglect. Rust covered the entirety of the guard rails surrounding the platform, with several sharp edges jutting out from fractures in the casing. Overall, it looked just as gloomy and uninviting as the rest of the Everfree Forest.

“Can we go in there and check it out, Dad?” Spotter piped up, showing more energy than he had since leaving Domare. “It looks so neat!”

Shining Armor grimaced at the sight. “Spot, I really don’t think it’s safe to—”

“Oh wow, a train!” Spotter, gaining a surge of youthful energy, leapt off his father’s back and raced towards the other end of the station. The tiny unicorn was half-way around the building before Shining Armor regained his senses and chased after him.

“Spot! Come back! We don’t have time for this!”

The stallion rounded the corner and caught sight of Spotter ascending a ramp leading to a platform connected to a train car. Specifically, a caboose. Just like the building it sat next to, the caboose was in foul shape. It was colored a dirty brown, a shade Shining Armor doubted had been its original hue. Rust and grime seemed to make up its sole composition, looking as though it would fall apart at any moment.

Spotter ran into it without any hesitation.

“Spotter!” Shining Armor called out. “Come out of there right now!”

“This is so cool!” came Spotter’s muffled voice.

“Don’t make me come in there and get you!”

However, Shining Armor’s threat either didn’t reach his son or his son didn’t care. His chest tightened the longer Spotter was out of sight. Unable to bear the thought of something happening, Shining Armor quickly trotted up the rickety ramp and onto the platform. He noticed Applejack and Rarity following after him, but held up a hoof. “Stay here. I’ll get him.” He turned back to the caboose and disappeared inside.

That’s when a sound like an eerie fog horn reached their ears.

Applejack and Rarity’s eyes widened in horror as the caboose began to move, attached to cars unseen in the dark.

“Oh, for Pete’s sake!” Applejack cursed to the sky. “C’mon!” She charged ahead at full speed and jumped for the speeding caboose. She nimbly landed onto the filthy floor of the car railing and quickly turned around. “Hurry up, Mare Do Well!”

Rarity huffed and pushed her legs to move with all her might to keep up with the caboose. She heaved herself into the air... only to realize too late that she wasn’t going to make it.

A golden lasso snaked through the air, looped around Rarity’s waist and yanked her forward. She cleared the rest of the way and landed with a thump next to Applejack, with Opalescence tumbling out to collapse into her own heap.

“Hoowe, that was a close one wasn’t it?” Applejack said to the laid-out unicorn.

Eeeeewwwwww, this rust is going to leave a stain!”

“... Yer welcome.”

That was when Shining Armor burst through the entrance to the caboose, breaking off a hinge to the door where it hung haphazardly. Spotter clung to his back, his coat looking even whiter than normal. “We have to get off this train! NOW!” Not waiting for the two mares to act on his orders, he grunted and levitated them up into the air, then took a leap off the moving car.

They barely cleared the railing when an unknown force threw them back.

A collective groan came from the pony pile that resulted. “We’re too late...” Shining Armor moaned from the bottom of the pile.

“What in tarnation are you goin’ on about?” Applejack asked. Gingerly, she extracted herself from the tangle of limbs and helped the others to their hooves.

Shining Armor looked out at the terrain speeding by and swallowed. “This... is the Phantom Train.” A shudder passed through him that he wasn’t able to suppress. “It’s a train that ferries the dead on to the afterlife. I’m not sure how it came into being, but rumor has it that it was created by the restless spirits of a horrific train accident. Now it takes the dead to Tartarus so that ponies can leave the living world in peace.”

Utter silence descended upon them. Only the sound of the cars rolling against the rails reached their ears. Finally, Rarity managed to find her voice. “But... but we’re not dead!”

“She’s right!” Applejack added. “We can’t be goin’ to Tartarus! We got too much to do here!”

“I’m sorry,” Shining Armor said, lowering his head. “But I don’t think we’ll be able to get off unless the train lets us.”

“Then we need to find a way to convince it ta let us go!” Applejack turned and headed towards the broken caboose entrance. “It’s not doin’ us any good standin’ around, so hop to it!”

“My, my, my, somepony’s being bossy today,” Rarity quipped.

“I’ve got friends waitin’ for me. I’m not about to let them down.”

.o.O.o.

The Phantom Train quickly lived up to its creepy name and purpose. The very first passenger car the group came across left no doubt of that. Dozens of sentient races, not just ponies, sat side by side in the blood red seats set up at comfortable distances of each other. Ponies, griffons, chocobos and even cows all sat next to each other, patiently waiting for the end of the final line.

The one thing they all had in common, was that they were all transparent.

“I get the distinct feeling that we don’t belong here,” Rarity said, making her way towards the end of the car. The passengers gave the group curious glances as they walked by, but seemed content to leave them alone.

“I’ve got the same feeling,” Shining Armor responded. Occasionally, he glanced over the ponies sitting quietly in their seats, as though looking for somepony in particular, but just as quickly turned back to focus on the way ahead. “Let’s hope we can find a way to get off before we attract the wrong type of attention.”

The ponies remained silent after that, as though talking might provoke the spirits all around them. Only the clacking of the car’s wheels against the tracks reached their ears, the constant noise droning on and on. Even Spotter, who trotted close to Shining Armor, was staying quiet. Shining Armor hoped he remained that way for the remainder of their stay here. He loved his son dearly, but the little colt could really be a pain-in-the-flank when he got curious.

They reached the end of the passenger car and stepped out to the railing leading to the next. The Everfree Forest whizzed by on either side of them, though it was hard to tell if the train was really making any discernible distance. Every tree looked like the last and the ever present mist obscured any features they could use as a landmark. An unsettling thought passed through them, that they were already too late; that they were now in the afterlife and that the scenery was the same as the living world to help the spirits adjust to the transition.

Applejack shook her head to clear herself of such thoughts and entered the next passenger car. This one was much the same as the last, with rows of seats on either side of the car and many filled with passengers. She led the others down the spacious aisle, keeping her eyes open for anything that might take exception to them being there. As it turned out, she was half right.

Halfway through the car, a grey stallion wearing a well-tailored black suit and cap materialized in front of them. He took his cap off, bowed low and said in a hollow voice, “Well, well, well. This is a rare sight. Four ponies and none of them are dead or dying. May I ask how you all came to be here?”

“Ah, well...” Applejack began to answer, looking nervously over her shoulder at the others. “We ah, we made a mistake and got trapped here. You... wouldn’t happen to know how we can get off, wouldja?”

“What, trying to prolong the inevitable, are you? You do know all of you must make this journey someday.”

“Maybe, but we got too much to live for now. You gonna help us or not?”

“Hmm, I suppose I should. The other passengers might get jealous of you being here. I’m the Conductor, and I can’t have a ruined schedule. Follow me, if you would.” Without a second look, the Conductor turned and trotted towards the end of the car.

Applejack twisted her head to regard her companions. “Should we follow?”

Rarity shrugged. “He seems to want us gone as much as we do. I don’t see why not.”

“Same here,” Shining Armor seconded.

“I need to go to the bathroom,” Spotter sheepishly said, crossing his hind legs.

Shining Armor facehooved. “Of all the times. Just... try and hold it, son. All good soldiers need to learn how to do it. Okay?”

His son grimaced briefly before firming up his features and gave a confident nod. “Okay!” He beamed when his father smiled down at him and ruffled his mane.

With everypony in agreement, the group followed after the Conductor. He led them through more cars, one of which was a fancy dining room while another had private cabins. These caught Rarity’s eye.

“How does one manage to get one of these rooms? Do the dead have a social class as well?”

The Conductor continued his steady trot, keeping his face forward as he spoke, “No. Anyone can use them. But most of the passengers are still getting used to being dead. They tend to stick together rather than seek solitude. Comfort in numbers if I were to guess.” He stopped at the next door, cleared his throat and gestured for the group to go through. “Go through here to reach the engine. You’ll have to ask the Phantom Train itself to let you leave.”

Applejack blinked. “Ask... the train?” she asked, staring wide eyed at the Conductor. “You serious?”

“Deathly so. The Phantom Train has a will of its own. It even takes on different forms depending on its surroundings. Last time it was a stagecoach and before that a large chariot. This train form has suited its purpose well since it can carry so many souls at the same time.”

“Well... that’s good, I guess,” Applejack said and headed forward. “I’ve got a thing or two to say—”

“Don’t take another step!”

Everypony looked up and gaped when a tan pegasus pony wearing a olive vest and white pith helmet dropped down and blocked Applejack’s path. The mare stood on her hind legs, swept back her grey mane and brandished a black whip in her hooves. “The treasure is mine! You can’t have it!”

Everypony blinked.

“... What treasure?” Applejack asked.

“You think I’m going to tell you, you ox?”

“Ox?!” Applejack screeched and set herself into a battle stance. “Just who the hay are you?”

“Ah ha! The ox bellows! You are in the presence of the greatest adventurer that has ever lived, Daring Do!”

The farmer looked back at her companions. “You ever heard of her?”

“No.”

“Not to my knowledge, darling.”

“Can’t... hold it... much.... longer...”

Applejack turned back to face Daring Do. “Nope.”

The adventurer stared, her jaw hanging open. “But... but surely you’ve heard about...” Daring Do shook her head, raised her whip and growled, “No matter. You’re not getting by me. Whatever is behind this door must be pretty good if you all want it so badly. It’s mine and nopony—”

Daring Do’s whip suddenly sprang to life, coiling around the pegasus like a snake. She cried out in alarm as her legs and wings were pinned to her sides, completely immobilizing her. Now helpless, her body lifted into the air and drifted over to one of the cabins, Daring Do screaming for help the entire way. The door to the cabin opened up and the pegasus was unceremoniously tossed into the room followed by the door slamming shut.

Mare Do Well sighed as the magic in her horn faded away. “I figured we were in a hurry, and her voice was starting to grate on me.”

“Thanks Rar—Mare Do Well,” Applejack said. “She was remindin’ me a little too much of a friend I know back home. I don’t think I could have handled two of ‘em.” She adjusted her hat and made for the door the adventurer had been blocking. “C’mon. We’re almost out of here.”

.o.O.o.

Applejack’s eyes spun in their sockets trying to look over all the gears, knobs, levers and buttons inside the Phantom Train’s engine. Not one square hoof of space was spared for some type of contraption or doohikey. Just where was a pony supposed to begin?

“Ah, y’all wouldn’t know what to do, wouldja?”

Shining Armor trotted up to the control panel and gave a critical inspection of every doodad he came across. Finally, he stepped back and announced his findings.

“I haven’t got a clue.”

A collective facehoof resulted.

“Well then, what?” Applejack asked, exasperation thick in her voice. “Do we just yell at it until it stops?”

“Hold on,” Shining Armor said. “I’ve got an idea.” He stepped aside, revealing Spotter whose entire body was shaking and had his cheeks puffed out as though he were about to explode. “Hey Spotter. I’ve got something to take your mind off of things.”

“What?” Spotter strained to get out.

“You see this engine here? I want you to explore it for me and tell me what you find.”

The colt suddenly stopped his fidgeting and looked up at his father with starry eyes. “Really?”

“Yep! Have at it.”

With a cry of delight, Spotter leapt forward and began running around, taking in every sight that he could. “Can I press some of these buttons?!”

“Go ahead. If any one of us has an idea of what to do, it’d be you.”

“Yay!”

Applejack came up to Shining Armor as his son started pushing buttons and pulling levers. “You think this is a good idea? We don’t know what will happen.”

“You want to stay here?”

“Heck no!”

“Me neither. Maybe hitting one of these things will get its attention. After all, my son has a knack for ‘spotting’ the right way to things.”

“And what in tarnation does that—?”

Everypony fell to the floor in a heap when the train gave a sudden jerk. The squealing of metal on metal pierced their ears, followed by the eerie sound of the train’s horn.

So, you are the ones that do not belong here, an otherworldly voice said. You are wasting my time with your foolishness. Now, you shall pay.

Before anypony could react, a side door opened revealing the landscape scrolling by. The train’s horn sounded again, but this time it carried the noises of wailing spirits being endlessly tortured. The ponies screamed in anguish and covered their ears, but the Phantom Train’s Evil Toot would not be denied.

You will know the pain and suffering of those that sought peace after death only to experience eternal torment.

The group staggered from one end of the engine room to the other, feeling their very selves being stripped away layer by layer. Applejack wandered too close to the open door and the next moment she tumbled and fell out of sight. The others were too pain ridden to even call out her name.

I will deliver you to the lowest pits of Tartarus. None of you will ever feel joy again. Now begone to your rooms until judgement is cast upon you.

The Phantom Train’s power picked up the trembling ponies and carried them to the entrance to the passenger car, where the Conductor was waiting for them.

Lock them away until I call... What? What is happen...ing? N-No! Stop!

Shining Armor, Mare Do Well, and Spotter wearily opened their eyes in time to see the buckle holding the train with the car disconnect. Then, to everypony’s complete surprise, the Phantom Train rocketed into the sky. A speck of orange against the brown metal and rust of the engine was seen bracing itself. A cry of absolute rage and madness carried through the air. The train flipped over and descended like a meteor to impact with a resounding crash against the rails, crumpling the Phantom Train into a useless pile of scrap.

The others were too stunned to do anything but stare with their mouths hanging open. The cars' remaining momentum carried them to the sight of the crash where it bumped against the smoldering remains of the engine. Shining Armor clambered to his hooves and looked out over the smoking wreckage.

“A-Applejack...”

He pulled back when the metal of the engine began to move. Before everypony’s eyes, the engine began to pull itself back together, the sound of steel bending and scraping against each other making them cringe. A minute later, the Phantom Train was completely back to normal as though nothing had happened to it.

That hurt.

The side door to the engine burst open, revealing a familiar figure.

“It was supposed to, ya dang hunk o’ metal!” Applejack yelled. She thrust a hoof towards the smokestack and continued, “And I’ll do it again iffin you don’t let us go!”

Very well. I don’t have time to waste on you anymore. But I must make one last stop before I do. The engine started up and soon the entire train was moving again.

“Whatever.” Applejack adjusted her hat and hopped off the engine and next to her companions. She noticed their wide-eyed stares and shuffled a hoof on the floor. “What? What’re y’all lookin’ at?”

Shining Armor spoke first. “You just—”

“You just suplexed a motherbucking train!”

“Spotter! Language!”

“How... how did you do that?” Mare Do Well asked.

Applejack looked away, a blush spreading across her muzzle. “Well, ah, I just felt so mad when that dumb train used... whatever that was against us. My head got all foggy and all I could think of was to teach that no good varmint a lesson. I’m fine now, though! Don’t worry!”

Spotter ran up to her and gave her a hug, much to Applejack’s surprise. After a moment he pulled back, looking up at her with adoration. “But really, that was awesome!”

“Thanks, little guy.” Applejack smiled down at him and patted his back. She stopped when a repugnant smell reached her nose, causing her to scrunch up her face. “Uh, Spotter, did you—”

Further conversation halted when the Phantom Train’s horn blew again. The ponies cringed, expecting another excruciating experience, but nothing mind-bending happened to them.

“Next stop is coming up,” the Conductor said who had stood by impassively the entire time. “Get ready for departure.”

“Land sakes!” Applejack exclaimed. “Finally we can get off this bugger.”

The ponies looked over the railing and saw a station, much like the one where they found the Phantom Train, come into view. With a screech of brakes and hydraulics, the train slowed until it came to a complete stop. The group didn’t waste any time and hopped off the passenger car and onto the station platform.

“Sweet earth, how I’ve missed you,” Shining Armor said and kissed the floor. He immediately spat out a glob of dust.

“Dad, stop, you’re embarrassing me...”

“Says the soldier who can’t hold his bladder.”

DAAAAAAAD!”

“I don’t know about the rest of you,” Mare Do Well announced, speaking over Spotter's whining, “but I’d rather we leave this forest as soon as possible.”

Shining Armor nodded even as he wiped his mouth clean. “You’re right. Barren Falls should be just south of here. That’ll lead us to the Veldt and from there...”

Everypony eyed Shining Armor curiously when his directions trailed off.

“What’s the matter?” Applejack asked, prodding the stallion with a hoof. “You ferget or somethin’?”

“Cadence...”

“Huh, what—”

“Cadence!”

Without warning, Shining Armor shoved past Applejack, knocking the mare prone, and rushed towards the other end of the platform. A long line of transparent ponies were boarding the train but only one caught his eye; a pink alicorn stepping into the passenger car and out of view.

“CADENCE!”

That’s when the train’s horn blew and began to move.

“No! Stop! Cadence!”

Either by the sound of his voice or the will of fate, Mi Amore Cadenza cantered out of the car followed by a yellow unicorn. Her ethereal voice carried over the train’s wheels against the tracks. “Shining Armor, my beloved.”

“Cadence!” Shining Armor chased after her but the train was already past the platform.

Even still, Cadence’s words reached him. “I'm sorry, but our ponies need me to watch over them. I'll be waiting for you once you've made sure that the world is safe for our son to grow up in. I’ll protect our people while you protect the world!”

“Sir!” Comet Tail saluted. “I will do everything in my power to help her. I promise to keep her safe!”

“Adieu, Shining Armor. Adieu, Spotter!”

The Phantom Train disappeared into the mist of the forest, one last toot of its horn reaching everypony’s ears. Soon, even that faded away to nothing.

Shining Armor was left on the platform, staring out where he had last seen his wife. “Cadence...”

The sound of clopping hooves behind him was distantly heard. He continued to stare forward, until a small voice reached him.

“Daddy?”

Shining Armor looked down, Spotter looking back with teary eyes.

“Wha-What’s happened to Mom? Is... is she...”

Tears leaking out of his own eyes, Shining Armor reached down and gathered up his son into a tight hug. No more words were said. No more words were needed.

They stayed that way, crying into each other’s shoulders.

.o.O.o.

Spike and Stardust stared blankly at the screen.

“... Got anything to say?” Spike asked.

“My mind is too blown to say anything,” Stardust replied blankly.

“Yeah... Um, that’s it for now. Only two more to vote for. Twilight’s escapades in Neighshe, or the conclusion to Applejack, Shining Armor, Spotter, and the most beautiful unicorn to have ever lived adventures. So, uh, let us know in the comments, would ya?”

“I need to invent hard liquor for chocobos now. Got any pomegranate?”

“I don’t think any exists in this game.”

“... Crap.”

PreviousChapters Next