• Published 24th Mar 2021
  • 1,113 Views, 5 Comments

Fallen Queendom - Zeroraid



For over a thousand years now Equestria has known a near unbroken peace, one broken with the passing of a month long storm. Now the princesses are forced to rely on outside help in hopes of saving their nation. Considering such a thing is possible.

  • ...
1
 5
 1,113

21

Pale Arts took a drink from her tea as she stared ahead, looking at the three ponies that were sitting at the table with her. One of them looking remorseful, while another was somewhere between fear and unease, and the third was just trying to comfort one of them. “So… to summarize.” Pale Arts muttered. “You.” She turned to Sunset. “Used to bully her.”

“Yeah…” Sunset muttered as she stared down at her tea, not even bothering to drink from it. “I’m sorry.”

“Who are you apologizing to? Pale Arts asked. “Me or Cadence?”

“Both of you.” Pale Arts shook her head.

“You have no need to apologize to me.” Pale Arts stated as she returned to drinking. “I was neither a spectator nor a victim of your actions. So you do not need to apologize to me.”

“But aren’t you disappointed in me?” Pale Arts seemed to think.

“Should I be?” She asked herself. “Hm… well. Yes I am, you hurt someone who had done nothing to you, and you had done it simply because they had what you wanted.” The mare stated. “Had I been your teacher I would have knocked you upside your head a few times for doing such.” She paused. “That being said, I am surprised that Celestia chose to turn a blind eye to your actions.” Again the male fell silent. “And to her niece of all ponies.”

“It’s not that auntie turned a blind eye.” Cadence muttered. “She just… didn’t know.” The mare stated. “Sunset was… really good at covering her tracks.” She stated. “It was never anything physical either, so there was never anything to cover up.

“I see.” Pale arts fell silent as she took a drink. “Sunset apologize, properly this time.”

“Cadence I’m…” Sunset saw the mare flinch as she said her name and seemed to recoil. “I’m sorry, I really am, I was jealous because I let that get the better of me.” Sunset muttered. “I’m sorry I hurt you.”

“Sunset I…” Cadence was cut off by the sound of Pale Arts clapping.

“There we go, she apologized now Cadence you have to forgive her so you two can move on as friends.” The elder mare seemed to pause. “That is how it works yes? Celestia’s teachings on forgiveness? She apologized so you must forgive her for her past transgressions.” The mare stated as the two fell silent. “Well, what are waiting for?”

“I…” Cadence glanced at Sunset for a moment. “I…”

“You can’t, can you?” Pale Arts asked as she stopped smiling and returned to her drink. “I expected as much.”

“I’m sorry. I really am but I can’t.”

“That is a flaw in Celestia’s teachings.” Pale Arts admitted. “Forgiveness because an apology is given feels so… hollow. At least to me.” The mare stated. “I personally have always preferred the idea of forgiveness being earned; that you must prove that you regret your actions. I believe that is the only way to truly make amends.” Pale Arts stated. “That being said, will you let Sunset try to earn your forgiveness, Cadence?”

Cadence didn’t say anything, at least not at first.

“I’d… like that.”


Gentle snapped awake. His eyes opened as he started to look around and rubbed his head. “Ow~” His throat hurt. Not only that but looking at his hand he noticed that it was once again a hoof. ‘Guess I’m out of my head…’ The pony thought as he sighed and rested his hoof on his barrel as he stared skyward. ‘Where am I?’ He wondered as he started looking around, trying to make sense of things. Looks like he was in one of the rooms located in the Crystal Palace. Someone must have put him to bed. But why was he…

The last thing he remembered was falling.

Falling and…

“Sunset!” He didn’t mean to scream, but his throat was already getting back at him for his stupidity. Raising a hoof to his throat he bit his lips before looking around, trying to find the door and pulled himself from bed. “Gotta find… Sunset.” He muttered to himself. “Gotta make sure she’s… ok…” He muttered as he started walking towards the door and headed down the halls.


Pale Arts ignored the silence that consumed the room and in exchange chose to just focus on her tea. She’d give the Crystal Empire one thing, they had a great selection to choose from. ‘I might have to take a few of these when we leave the Empire.’ She thought to herself before her attention suddenly snapped elsewhere. “Hm?”

“Is something wrong?” Shining Armor asked as he looked at the mare.

“He woke up.” The mare muttered. “Already?” She asked. “With that overload he should be out for another week or two.” She admitted as she got to her feet.

“Who’s awake?”

“Gentle.” Sunset’s eyes widened as she got to her feet, hooves slamming on the table as Cadence jumped.

“What?!” Sunset shouted. “He’s awake?”

“Yes, and much earlier than I expected.” The elder mare stated as she looked at Sunset. “Shall we go see him?” Sunset bolted, not even waiting for Pale Arts to catch up with her. For her part Pale Arts just giggled lightly as she watched Sunset vanish. “Ah, to be young.” The mare stated as she took one more drink from her tea before setting it down and started walking after the younger mare. “Feel free to accompany us, less you rather have some alone time.” Without a word Cadence and Shining Armor just looked at each other before getting to their feet and started following the taller mare.

“You didn’t say you were here with somepony else.” Shining Armor muttered.

“You never asked.” Was Pale Art’s response as she followed Sunset. “But yes, I do travel with another, A young stallion by the name of Gentle.” She paused.

“I see…” Shining Armor muttered. “Do you know a Gentle?” He asked, looking at his wife who shook her head.

“I don’t think so.”

“I’d be a bit surprised if you did.” Pale Arts admitted. “He’s not from around here after all.” The mare stated as she continued walking for a bit till she saw a familiar figure ahead of her. “There you are.”

“Gentle…” Sunset saw the stallion look at her before smiling. “You’re awake.”

“And your ok…” The stallion muttered as he walked up the mare and hugged her. “I thought… I thought I lost you.”

“You did.” Sunset muttered as she nuzzled her counterpart. “But you brought me back.” Shining Armor didn’t say anything as he looked at the scene before looking at Pale Arts.

“Are they…”

“Not yet.” The mare stated walking forward. “Maybe someday, but not yet.” She repeated as she flared her magic and pulled Gentle off Sunset and hoisted her into the air. He flailed around aimlessly for a moment before realizing that Pale Arts was staring at him with a critical eye and even had him spin around with her magic. “Ah~ so that’s why you’re awake.” The mare stated with a smile. “He really can’t help himself.” The mare chuckled as she put him back on the ground. “Still, I am glad that you’re awake now Gentle.” She stated. “We can't have you sleeping all day.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t apologize, I’m quite happy that your awake.” Gentle nodded before looking behind Pale Arts so that he could see the two new faces.

“Ah yes.

“Cadence, Shining Armor, this is Gentle, the one I mentioned earlier.” Pale Arts. “He, alongside Sunset are currently under my protection. Gentle, this is Princess Cadence, and her husband Prince Shining Armor.”

“Nice to meet you.” Shining Armor held out a hoof in greeting as Gentle took it. Noticing something the smaller stallion reached out and touched Shining Armor’s horn causing the pony to jump, before touching his own. “Uh~ what is it?”

“My horn’s… different.” The stallion muttered as he looked at both Cadence and Sunset’s and noticed that there's were very similar to Shining Armor’s and Pale Arts. “Why is mine curved?”

“Well, you aren’t a pure blooded pony.” Pale Arts stated. “From the looks of it your part Kirin.

“Kirin?” Shining Armor asked. “What’s a kirin?”

“I guess you could say it’s a subspecies of equestrian.” The mare stated as she rubbed Gentle’s main. “Think unicorn, give or take a few differences.”

“Like?” Cadence asked as Pale Arts used her magic to raise Gentle’s tail and the extended tailbone. Then she tapped his curved horn. “Right…”

“Most of them also have scale patterns as well.” Gentle looked at Pale Arts in surprise as she nodded her head. “You don’t have those, but given your hybrid status, it doesn’t seem you inherited that trait.”

Ok~’ Gentle stared at his tail before making a face. ‘I get that the mirror portal transformed me into a pony, but why a hybrid?’ He didn’t ask the question but Sunset seemed to pick up on it, and shrugged. Gentle looked back at Cadence before raising a hand to his head and seemed to check how tall he was compared to the mare. He frowned - or rather pouted at the realization that he was one of the shortest people here. A moment later he looked back at the mare and seemed to notice something before starting to call upon his magic and started forming letters.

“You have wings.”

“That’s right.” Cadence spread her wings out for a moment as Gentle stared at them.

“Why do you have wings?”

“I’ve always had wings.” Cadence chuckled. “Though I admit the horn took some getting used to.” Gentle just gave her a confused look.

“Cadence used to be a pegasi.” Pale Arts stated. “However she ascended to be Alicornhood.” Cadence’s eyes darted towards the older mare.

I never told you I used to be a pegasus.”

“You didn’t have to.” The mare stated before turning back to Gentle. “Alicorns are described as the pinnacle of equus bloodlines. They embody all the traits of the three pony tribes; an earth pony's strength, a unicorn’s magic, and a pegasus flight.” The mare stated. “As they embody all these traits they are seen and revered as the rightful rulers of Equestria.” Pale Arts stated. “That being the case, no true blood has been born in quite a long time.” Gentle glanced at Cadence before pointing at her. “Cadence is a special case, she obtained hers through ascension. In a way she ‘evolved’, turning from a pegasi into what you see now.

“You seem to know a lot about me.”

“When it comes to things that pique my interest, I tend to learn quite a bit concerning it.” Pale Arts stated as Gentle just looked between the two mares before slowly backing away. “Do not worry though, I will not use my knowledge against you.” The mare paused. “Less of course, you force my hooves.” Cadence narrowed her eyes. “And trust me princess.” The mare continued. “That would be a horrible idea.”