• Published 24th Mar 2021
  • 1,108 Views, 5 Comments

Fallen Queendom - Zeroraid



For over a thousand years now Equestria has known a near unbroken peace, one broken with the passing of a month long storm. Now the princesses are forced to rely on outside help in hopes of saving their nation. Considering such a thing is possible.

  • ...
1
 5
 1,108

10

It took a bit of time, but the trio managed to get down Canterlot Mountain. Granted that was to be expected since they took the long route; that being the route through the old catacombs that traveled from Canterlot city to the foot of the mountain. Still reaching the plains beneath the mountain Gentle couldn’t help looking around as he whistled. He hadn’t seen this much grass since summer camp.

“Did you have to grab so many crystals?” Sunset asked as she looked at Pale who seemed to shrug.

“To be fair I could have grabbed more.” Pale admitted as her smaller counterpart gave her a look. “They work as an excellent substitute for Bit coins.”

“Are you saying you don’t have bits on you?” Sunset asked as Pale glanced in her direction.

“Do you?” Sunset made to respond before falling silent. “Didn‘t think so.” She released a humored noise as she turned her attention forward as they walked on. “As they say; money makes the world go round. And we’ll need money to get around.” She released a noise. “And they will need money as well.”

“They?”

“Those that wish to rebuild not only Canterlot, but Equestria.” Pale Arts clarified. “No doubt other cities have entered a state of disrepair, and they will need to be fixed, but no one likes to work for free.”

“I…” Sunset sighed. “I can’t deny that.” She muttered. “You work, you expect to be paid. That’s how it's always been.” She paused. “Even in the other world that was true, at least, before everything went to hell.” Sunset admitted. “The school just banded together because we wanted to survive. There was safety in numbers, and we had shelter and food.” She paused. “I didn’t think something like that was possible… people just helping each other with no strings attached.

“I’m not surprised.” Pale stared off into the distance. “A crisis brings out one’s true nature.” She mused. “You see them as they truly are, be that for the better or the worse.” She glanced at the younger mare. “Magic doesn’t need to be the cause of such change, but it will give them the ‘nudge’ they need in showing their true colors.”

Sunset didn’t respond for a while, her thoughts retreating to the changes that Flash Sentry - her ex had gone through thanks to the “Green Mist” as the other world called it. That anger though, his apparent hatred for her, how much he changed when the mist spread. “Just how much of that was him and not the mist.”

“Sunset?” Gentle spoke up as he caught the mare’s attention. She just shook her head though, gave him this weak and obviously forced smile.

“It’s nothing for you to worry about.”

“But it's something you're worrying about.” He replied as Sunset paused before releasing a weak chuckle.

“I guess you're right.” She gave him a stronger smile as he nudged her, trying to tell her he was here to listen if she wanted to talk. “Not right now.” Sunset told him. “I’ll tell you later.” Gentle just nodded as they pressed on. “So… if the map’s right.” The mare spoke up, changing topics. “Ponyville should be this way.” She told the two. “It’s the nearest town to Canterlot, should take us about a day's walk to get there.”

“Have you been to Ponyville before?” Sunset shook her head.

“No, I spent my entire pony life in Canterlot.” She told the older mare. “I didn’t have a reason to come down here.” Sunset couldn’t help sighing again. “I didn’t go anywhere outside of Canterlot growing up.”

“I see.” Pale muttered. “Why is that? Your own desires, your teacher’s instructions or~” Sunset didn’t respond for a moment as she seemed to frown. “Apologies, you needn’t answer that question.”

“Thanks…” Sunset whispered as Gentle just rubbed their cheeks together affectionately. “Ok, Gentle.” Sunset ignored Pale Arts snicker. “I know you’re not used to being a pony yet, but you really need to stop doing that.” She admitted with a blush. “What you’re doing is… it’s something reserved for somepony special.” She began but found Gentle giving her this clueless look. “Somepony very special.” She could practically see his brain buffering as he tried making sense of her words. When his eyes widened she just nodded her head. “Yeah.”

“Oh~”Gentle muttered as he started to blush as well, leaving the two to fall silent and look down at the grass. ‘Ok, so… that’s… don’t do that anymore.’ He thought as he glanced at Sunset for a moment. ‘I mean yes she looks cute this way, almost as cute as her human form but I’m not… I’m not into animals that way…’ He thought before seeming to pause. ‘Wait - does that still count if I’m an animal too?’ He shook his head. “You know, I don’t think I want that answer…”


Haven

Celestia knocked, and in turn she heard this small muffled “coming” from the otherside of the door. When it opened a familiar purple dragon - one who’d she’d and many others would often mistaken for a young hatchling - despite the fact he was actually a few years younger than her pupil, and adoptive sister. “Princess Celestia?”

“Good afternoon, Spike.” Like always the young dragon bowed and Celestia needed to take a few seconds that there was no need for that. She’d known him ever since he was a baby after all. “Is twilight in?” A silly question really. “Of course Twilight was in, if she had things her way, she’d stay indoors reading, until her final days.

“Yeah, she's still trying to figure out how to create that spell you wanted her help in understanding.” Spike sighed and it was obviously one in annoyance, though there was a sense of exhaustion in it.

Celestia frowned.

“Has she slept?”

“Nope.” Was Spike’s simple response as he invited Equestria’s oldest ruler inside. “She’s been working nonstop since you told her what to do.” Spike admitted as Celestia looked into the building, her attention focused on the hundreds of notes that were scattered across its interior. And at its center was a purple mare hard at work. Her eyes drooping and her mane a haphazard mess. “You know she hasn’t even touched coffee yet.” Spike muttered as he coughed into his little claw. “Hey Twilight, you got a visitor.”

“Not now Spike.” Came Twilight’s automatic response. “Tell them I’ll be with them in a minute. I think I might be close to a breakthrough.”

“Twilight, It’s Princess Celestia.” Twilight groaned.

“As I said Spike, tell them that…” Twilight paused, and both the Princess and the dragon could see her brain processing what had been said. “Princess Celestia?” She turned to Spike and her guest.

“Hello Twilight.”

“PRINCESS CELESTIA!!” Twilight jumped, surprise on her face as she staggered to her feet before starting to run forward, trample over a few of her scattered notes before bowing to her mentor. “I’m sorry! I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to ignore you-” Twilight continued on before Celestia raised a hoof, resting it on Twilight’s lowered head and rubbed it.

“It’s alright Twilight, calm down.” She smiled. “And please, stop being so formal.”

“O- of course.” Sunset raised her head and squirmed slightly as she looked around at the mess her work had caused. “I’m sorry, just - just give me a second to clean up.” She started levitating her scattered notes as she tried to put them somewhere. Failed and then tried to better organize them so they might be out of the way at least. “Spike, can you start some tea please? Moonflower preferably?”

“We don’t have any tea.” Spike stated in annoyance. “We left all our tea in the Golden Oak Library.”

“Oh - right then uh… um.”

“Twilight calm down.” Celestia chuckled as she looked at her student before using her magic to help her clean up. “I’m sorry for dropping in unexpectedly, but I wanted to check in on you.” Celestia stated. “How are you?”

“I’m fine.” Twilight took a few breaths to calm down. “Just hard at work. You know, trying to understand this spell you asked me to help you understand.” She stated for a moment as she took another breath. “I haven’t made much progress I’m afraid.”

“Is that so?” Celestia asked as she took a moment to glance at one of the mare’s notes.

“I’m sorry.” Twilight muttered. “There’s just… this spell is surprisingly complex.” She admitted. “There’s so much to try understanding.” Twilight paused. “Is this spell really going to be able to help us?” She finally asked as she looked at her teacher. “I mean, this spell, it’s some kind of ‘summoning’, right. I’ve never seen a spell like this before.”

“It’s a variation of a very old type of spell.” Celestia admitted. “One almost as old as Equestria.” Celestia stated as she settled down on the ground and looked at her student. “As well as one that hasn’t been touched upon in just as long.”

“Why?”

“The spell it’s based on is dangerous.” Celestia stated with a light frown. “A spell for summoning a familiar.

“A familiar?” Spike asked as he looked at the princess. “What’s that?”

“A type of spirit magically bound to a Unicorn or other spellweaving species. They help their summoner be it in mundane ways or in times of crisis.”

“Like Spike?” The little dragon puffed up as Twilight looked at him.

“In a way. But at the same time it's not that simple. Familiars are… more complex. They’re bound by a magical contract, one with a master/servant dynamic. So long as that contract is play, they’ll live for you, fight to protect you and eleven act as your guide if need be.” Celestia paused. “Not only that, they can even amplify your magic if need be.”

“They sound really helpful.”

“They are… when the contract goes correctly.” She muttered. “You see…” Celestia paused as she seemed to think for a moment. Not certain if she should continue with this topic for a moment before pressing on. “Not all familiars are good, in fact many summoned to act as familiars are actually low demons from the underworld.” That got both unicorn and dragon to perk up disbelief on their face as they stared at the mare.

“D-did you say demon?” Spike squeaked. “Like a demon, demon? The kind in stories?” He asked. “Those are real?”

“Yes.” Celestia admitted with a sigh. “Demons do exist, but they don’t call this world home.” She stated. “They exist in another world - another plain of existence that Starswell believed to run parallel to our own and kept there thanks to the Fade - the boundary that separates our world from their own.” Celestia took a breath. “When they’re summoned as a familiar they have a tendency to ‘switch the roles of the master/servant contract; instead of being bound to your will, you are bound to theirs. You become their tool - their slave until the contract is broken…”

“How…” Twilight paused. “How do you break the contract?”

“As some would say… you must read between the fine print, find a loophole to exploit and free yourself with.” Celestia admitted. “But… more often than not, only death breaks it.” Both mare and dragon paled at the word. “Thankfully, the spell you are working on isn’t going to summon a demon.” She hoped. ‘But if it does… I will step in to bind it to myself.’ Celestia thought. “So there’s no need to worry, Twilight. We’re not going to bring such a being into Equestria.”

“I see.” Twilight breathed in relief as she looked at her notes. “Then… I should get back to work. The sooner I figure this out -”

“Twilight.” Celestia spoke up. “Take a break.” She smiled as she raised a hoof and tried fixing Twilight’s mane. “The spell can wait, in the meantime get some rest, you look like you haven’t slept in days.”

“She hasn’t.” Spike grumbled, crossing his arms.

“Spike~” Twilight’s ears flattened as Celestia giggled.

“Get some rest, Twilight; eat something, and do go out to get some sunlight.” Celestia glanced Twilight up and down. “Your coat’s going to lose its color at this rate.”

“Y-yes princess.” Twilight muttered in embarrassment, something that only grew as her belly decided to speak up. “Mhm~”

“Let’s move getting something to eat at the top of your list.”