• Published 24th Mar 2021
  • 1,110 Views, 5 Comments

Fallen Queendom - Zeroraid



For over a thousand years now Equestria has known a near unbroken peace, one broken with the passing of a month long storm. Now the princesses are forced to rely on outside help in hopes of saving their nation. Considering such a thing is possible.

  • ...
1
 5
 1,110

6

Earth

Canterlot City

It felt like he’d been walking for hours; but to be fair, he technically had been. He’d been walking since daylight broke and now, now the sun was trying to set on him. He’d have to find shelter soon. Still, stepping through the city he had come across on the road, the young man just took a minute to breathe before rubbing his sore neck and taking a drink from his water bottle. Gentle Ember sighed to himself as he pocketed the water bottle and pressed on, searching for a place where he could get some rest before the sun went down. He honestly didn’t want to sleep in a car again, but hey if he had to he would. Still glancing back at the sun for a moment, Gentle took in the city before frowning.

Canterlot City. It was this moderately sized town practically cut off from the rest of the world. Then again that was to be expected, considering that it was surrounded by nothing but hills and mountains, and the only real exit was a road that cut straight through the city. It wasn’t anything special. And to be honest Gentle was fine with that.

That said Canterlot City was a mess. There was no better way of saying it. A glorified gravesite of tall buildings with broken windows, and cars either smashed into the walls or each other. Street lights were on the ground and objects were scattered about.
The city was more or less standing, but it was a ghost town.

Believe it or not, that was a good thing at the moment.

Getting on top of a bus gave him a good view of his city, but it was still a sight of a barren city. ‘There isn’t a goddamn city that doesn’t look like this now.’ He thought before jumping off the bus and moved on.

The world had ended.

The world had fucking ended.

Not by nuclear war.

Not by global warming.

Not by heaven and hell opening their gates.

Not by some clusterfuck of “this”, “that” and a bit of “those” thrown into a blender and set to puree.

The world ended because of some kind of “Rage virus” like in 28 Days Later.

He wished he was making that kind of shit up, but he wasn’t.

He didn’t remotely know the details on how it came to be but he understood this much; everything started seven months ago.

That was when that green mist rolled in. That was when the people of the world started fighting, and it turned into pure anarchy. The world governments collapsed in mere days, and he was pretty sure everything didn’t go nuclear because the people next to the button likely got put down.

After a month of pure chaos, it got worse, and without a doubt weirder. People started changing; deforming and turning into monsters of some kind.

He had no idea a virus could do that kind of stuff to people. Less it belonged to some of those video games he’s played in his free time Resident Evil.

On a side note, the mist started around the time a three-woman band went live on tv. A shame too, he would have been interested in hearing what they had. Plus that poofy hair chick was kind of hot.

Disregarding all that, Gentle just scratched his head and kept his eyes open, trying to make sure he couldn’t see any people still locked in a feral madness.

He was good, for now anyway.

“I still gotta get somewhere for the night.” He whispered, placing his metal bat over his shoulder. ‘Where to go though?’ He chose the mall. It was relatively close, it was big with boarded up walls and things stacked up inside to form a makeshift barricade. Without much prompting he pushed the doors open and stepped inside, stopping the moment he found something pointed at his skull from the side. He half expected it to go like this.

“Who are you?” The teen turned slightly as he looked at an unshaven older man, one caught between hysteria and fear as he looked at the boy. “You, what do you want?” Gentle didn’t reply simply dropping his bat as he slowly raised his hands.

“God damn it don’t move yeah hear me! Don’t you fucking move!” Gentle winched slightly at the man’s raised voice. For an old guy he could get loud. Still he had no interest in picking a fight with some old man so he just stood there, doing as the old man said. Besides, his trigger finger looked super twitchy.

“Harvey!” A voice called out as Gentle turned and the man froze for a moment. A woman, real pretty one too. Also those curves couldn’t be legal. She frowned at the man. “Harvey cool it, he’s just a kid.”

“So?” Harvey grumbled. “You know the virus doesn’t discriminate just because he’s a fucking kid. He could be feral!”

“Harvey, if he was feral we’d be hearing shots by now!” The woman stated. “Let him though, and god's sake put that thing away. You’re gonna hurt someone at this rate.” She ordered and Harvey froze, slowly lowering his rifle as he muttered a weak apology. “As for you.” The woman turned her attention to the teen. “Who are you?” Gentle raised an eyebrow before he started to sign, grateful that Alex had gotten around to making him better at that before he went off with Dus. “You can’t talk.” Gentle pressed his index and thumb together - universal for “a little bit” before raising his free hand to his neck and showing his trademark scar.

“God that looks terrible.”

He could practically read her thoughts before shaking her head. “Either case come in, sorry we ain’t got a signer in her that can do translations for you.”She stated and Gentle followed, kicking his bat to his hands and sheathed it.

Looked like half the city was in here, burning fires for warmth and keeping themselves occupied. None really paid attention to him, but that was fine. Didn’t feel like being the center of attention anyway. “My name is Luna by the way, I guess you could say I’m in charge here - east until my sister returns..” Gentle simply nodded his head as he stepped further into the mall and followed the woman to some seats. “So what’s your name anyway?” Again Gentle didn’t answer as she scratched her head for a moment. “Right, sorry, forgot for a moment.” Gentle simply shrugged as he pointed at her hand before getting an eye raise. She gave it to him though and held out her palm. In turn Gentle took his index finger and glided it over her palm, spelling his name for her. Shame he had broken his phone, texting was much faster than this.

“G...e...n...t...e… your name’s Gentle?” The teen nodded as he gave the woman her hand back. “I see, well it’s nice to meet you Gentle, welcome to the Canterlot Mall. What can we do for you?” Gentle patted his belly before raising his hand to his head and leaned on it. “You’re looking for food and a bed huh. Well we don’t have much for beds at the moment, but we do have plenty of food to go around. Head to the on the second floor and you’ll find a market.” She told him as he nodded and got to his feet. “Hold on, I’m not done yet.” Gentle raised an eyebrow. “Sorry but I need to set some ground rules first.” Gentle made a face, his mouth opening in an ‘oh’ as he nodded his head.

This situation. He was used to it by now. Same in the past few settlements he had gone to. So as she laid down the ground rules, he listened, though most of them were exactly as he expected. The main lesson was don’t cause trouble and they were good. “And otherwise you’re free to stay as long as you like ok?” Gentle nodded his head as made a gesture, heading for the elevator as he waved her off.

It really wasn’t hard finding the food mart in this place. It was more or less as he remembered it. Though it had been cleared out a bit. Time to see what he could grab for his next travels. After that maybe some new sneakers, these pairs were more or less worn now.

God he wished he had some wheels, made moving from city to city all that easier. A motorcycle would be nice, or maybe a car. Definitely a car or one of those RVs. Not only did it get him places but it also provided shelter more or less. Maybe the cars outside had their keys and some gas still in them. Thoughts for later. Right now though…

Lifting a can of beans Gentle made a noise as he looked it over for a moment. Pinto beans. Not his favorite but they’d do in a pinch. Hell anything tastes good with the right amount of seasoning. And if there was anything that this past year had taught him it was how to cook.

And fix tech…

And drive…

And how to patch people up…

Your desire to learn spikes up when it’s either sink or swim. Pulling out another can he looked it over for a moment before shaking his head. One can of Baked beans left it seemed. He reached for it, stopping when he felt eyes on him. He glanced behind him, instincts telling him to prepare for a fight but went ignored. It was some girl. Roughly his age with dual colored hair. She looked between him and the can he had gone for, and Gentle caught on in an instant. He reached for the can and walked over, holding out the can of beans as her eyes lit up for a moment. Obviously she wasn’t expecting it. The apocalypse had a tendency to bring out a person’s true nature. But that didn’t mean it had to bring out the worst in them. He just smiled at her as she took it.

“Th-thank you.” She colored for a moment as she took the beans. Gentle just kept his smile and returned to scavenging for his supplies. Behind him the girl shifted awkwardly as if she wasn’t too sure about what to do at the moment. “Uh…” She began as Gentle looked back at her. “Do you… wanna split these with me?” Gentle blinked a hint of surprise crossing his eyes before he nodded his head. Looked like he’d get to try baked beans after all.


Sunset Shimmer actually sighed in relief as the boy accepted the offer. It had been a while since she had shared her food with anyone, not since… those days. She looked at the can as they walked. An awkward/comfortable silence passed between them as they made to grab a few more things for their makeshift meal. Some meat would do good. Best used before they went bad or straight up disappeared. There were a lot of grabby hands here in Canterlot. That aside she was happy to have some company as she ate for once.

These past months had not been kind to her. One day she was preparing for yet another boring year in the school she had all but controlled and the next the world may as well have been ending. Green mist that drove people mad with anger, and attacking each other. She remembered seeing Celestia yell, trying to get those she could safety with “this” being her success. Didn’t matter which world she was in, Celestia remained the same; always putting others before herself… goddess she missed her old teacher.

Regardless when those she could help were safe, she went to plan B; damage control - salvaging whatever hope and light her students once had. She, the other teachers and any other adults hadn’t turned rabidly banded together somewhat, forming the group that was responsible for trying to establish some semblance of order. It was just a shame the ‘tribes’ had divided as of late…

Most of them being outside...

As for Sunset herself with the fall of the school she had lost just about all the power she had once held over the student body. Yes they still feared her somewhat, but as one had said, “there are scarier things to worry about than her”. And as much as it had pained her to admit it, they were right. Queen of Canterlot high or not, she had standards, rules she followed, rules she made everyone follow. But whatever had come over the people of Canterlot, this rage… it turned them into monsters that made even her tremble. And since they had all changed, she had been left alone after the fall of the school, no friends, with no one to support her and no one to talk to…

It's amazing how time can change a person. Forces you to see the error of your ways.

“So what’s your name anyway?” The boy didn’t say anything, simply making gestures with his hand. ‘Sign language.’ She knew the language, studied it for a moment after she came to Canterlot. Helped her gain control of the mutes and the deaf.

“Gentle.”

He weaved for her, and she offered him a handshake. “I’m Sunset Shimmer. It’s good to meet you.” He gave her that smile again as he took her hand. A refined, light yet honest smile that he had given her earlier. Wasn’t the best smile but it looked good on him.


Later

“Oh goddess that smells amazing.” Gentle watched Sunset drool for a moment as he continued to cook their makeshift meals. Some meat, some beans… the basics and some seasoning. The works. Nothing to fancy, when he first got this portable stove he had made the same thing for Felicia and the others.

Man did that feel like a long time ago...

He pushed the negative thoughts away as he grabbed the pair of plastic plates he had grabbed earlier and served his guest. Or was it host? After all she was the one that offered to split the beans.

Sunset squealed as she ate and he chuckled quietly. “Oh goddess this tastes even better than it looks!”

Glad to hear it, he’d been trying to make this dish a bit better. Thought about making it his go to meal when he actually had stuff to work with. ‘Problem is that meat won’t stay around forever.’ He reminded himself as he made a noise. Unlike the rest of the ingredients; meat wouldn’t be around forever, lest people start breeding animals specifically for food.

Wait technically they already did that… whatever.

He knew what he meant, that was all that mattered. ‘Gonna need to grab rations soon now that I think about it. Hear they don’t taste great but they can last a long time.’ He told himself as he continued to eat.

“So… how’d you get that scar anyway?” Trying to make smalltalk Sunset gestured to her neck as Gentle had a brief flashback. Thank god the pain didn’t flash back to him when he remembered the day it all started. Stabbing his food with a plastic fork Gentle did a one-handed sign before he returned to his food.

“Wrong place, wrong time.”

He told her.

“When the mist settled in my hometown, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Sunset muttered as they both returned to food for a moment.

“So, Sunset, you from around here?”

“No, I’m…” Sunset had brief flashbacks to her youth. Remembering a life she had left behind brought a depressed frown to her lips as she continued eating. “I’m from someplace far from here.” Was all she said as Gentle dropped the subject. Regardless of the awkwardness of their attempts to make conversation, it was nice. To Gentle it was a nice reminder of times he had almost forgotten. Times before all this happened. To Sunset… It was just nice to speak with someone after so long.

“So how long have you been here in the city?”

“For about three years now.” Sunset admitted.

“That so?”

Gentle made a noise as he glanced at the girl next to him. Pretty thing, something off about though.

“Did you have a good life?”

“I guess.” Sunset shrugged. “I wouldn’t mind leaving, but I have nowhere to go.”

“What about Arcadia?” Sunset stopped eating as she turned to the youth.

“Arcadia?”

“I heard of it on the radio once. It’s some kind of haven where the virus hasn’t spread.”

“A place where the virus hasn’t reached?” Sunset just stared at the young man as she watched him toss a few beans into his mouth. “I don’t believe you.”

“Then don’t.”

Gentle reached into his pocket and pulled out a map and notebook.

“But I found these with the radio broadcast.”

Sunset just stared at the young man and then the items he set on the floor.


Later

“Are you sure about this?” Former Vice Principal Luna questioned as she looked at the former school queen and the outsider. “There's a place without infection?”

“That’s what Gentle told me.” Sunset admitted as she looked to the other teen for a moment as Gentle started signing. “The Broadcast is a couple weeks old, but I still hear it when I listen to the right frequency” She hadn’t been aware Sunset knew Sign Language.

“It that so?” Luna leaned forward on her makeshift desk and interlocked her fingers for a moment in thought. “What broadcast channel is the message on?” Gentle just turned the notebook to a page and gave her it to her.

“If they’re still broadcasting, then they’re still virus free.” Sunset went along translating. “And if so… then I’d recommend trying to head there.”

“If it’s not there?” Luna asked.

“We make an Arcadia.” Both ladies blinked as Gentle, despite taking a moment to rub his sore throat, smiled. Talking obviously caused him pain, but he felt the words needed to be said personally instead of translated. There was a power in those simple words, the kind that inspired a feeling of belief and hope. And the pair picked up on that. Not sure why but they believed in the chance of him building a place where they would be safe. Maybe it was his eyes, maybe it was that smile, maybe it was that air he had. One that said that despite the hardships, they could find something - make something better in this crazy world.

Luna chuckled. “You make it sound so easy.”

“Nothing worth trying to do is ever really easy.” Luna nodded as she looked at Sunset Shimmer for a moment who just looked at Gentle with a weak smile.

“I’ll speak with my sister on this matter, then we’ll make a decision on whether to go searching for Arcadia or not.” She told the pair. “Sunset Shimmer.” Luna called out the young woman. “Can you find Gentle a place to rest for the night?”

“Sure.” Sunset muttered as she looked to Gentle and led him off.


Gentle sighed to himself as he settled into a nice corner to take a rest at. Despite half the city - really a school -being in the mall there was still plenty of room to find a spot. Trick was finding a good one. “Well I guess it’s settled then.” Sunset began as she looked at the other teen. “Once Ms. Luna talks to Celestia she’ll figure out the best time for us all to leave.” She seemed to disappear into her thoughts for a moment. “We’re going to need to do a lot of packing before though.” Gentle simply nodded his head as he settled himself down for a moment. Something seemed to be on the girls mind, especially with the way she kept turning her head to look off into the distance.

“You ok?”

Sunset blinked as she gave the teen one of her awkward smiles. “Yeah I’m fine… just thinking that’s all.”

“Want to talk about it?”

“Not really it’s just…” She paused. “I’m thinking about home that’s all.” She settled down across from him, that same far off look crossing her face as she sighed. “The thought of moving… reminds me of when I first came here almost three years ago.” She admitted. “Home… it’s probably the safest place I could think of to ride this out.” Gentle tilted his head, interest crossing his face as he leaned forward. Another potential haven… a place where they could do more that just struggle to get by daily. “The thing is though… we can’t reach it. Not now anyway.”

“What do you mean?”

Sunset opened her mouth to talk before letting it fade. How could she tell him? Tell him about Equestria - tell him about the portal? Tell him she was from another effing world? He’d think she was crazy. “Nothing… just… forget I said anything.”She stood, giving him a more honest smile as she started walking off for a moment. “See you later.”

Gentle wouldn’t have that. Standing, the teen picked himself up as he stepped after the girl,grabbing her by the back of her rest as she froze in confusion. Trying to look back at him the transformed teen found his arms snaking around her shoulders as he held her in place. What the hell was he doing?

Why was he hugging her?

“You look like you need one.”

She shivered as that young, rough voice whispered in her ears. He didn’t have the most hypnotic voice, but still it had a warmth she wasn’t all that used to anymore. Regardless she didn’t do anything, simply standing there frozen as the boy held her in his arms.

“When you’re ready… Tell me ok?”

“You wouldn’t understand.” She forced out as she lowered her head. How could he understand? Understand what she had gone through before all this happened, understand what she had done in order to get this far? Understand who - what she really was?

“I’m willing to try Sunset.”

Another whisper and she broke his hold turning to look at the strange boy as he looked down at her. Those burnt orange eyes had a hint of blue in them. She noted before she leaned forward and rested her head on his chest. This time she started a more proper hug as she wrapped her arms around his waist and he did the same. At one point he patted her head, an act that reminded her of someone else and forced a sigh to leave her. He was right, she did need this.


Canterlot High Courtyard

She was taking a gamble. Sunset realized as she stared off into space, her attention focused on the dark statue that rested before her. She took a breath as she traced her hands over the base. Felt like forever since she had last been here. In truth it had only been a few months. A few long months when she had come to check on the gateway to her home dimension. Not that Gentle knew that, not yet anyway.

“Well we’re here.” She began as she looked at the teen while rubbing her arm. “This is how I got to Canterlot City.” Gentle simply gave her a confused look as she circled around the gateway and tapped it a few times. Still offline - just like the last time she visited. Wouldn’t be activated for another year now. The last date she had missed, forcing her to remain in this world after everything had gone to shit. “This might - will sound crazy but… this statue actually acts as a portal to another world. The one that I’m from.” Gentle blinked his confusion visible as Sunset scratched her head. “You see, I’m not - well I’m not an alien but I’m not human either - I’m actually a pony, a unicorn really who came to this world after…” She fell silent as she remembered her past, sighing as she did before scratching her head again.

Well her feet were already in the water, backing out wasn’t exactly an option. So she told him. Everything. Her apprenticeship, her mentor being the almost literal goddess-princess. Her… departure. “I know how this sounds, but I’m being honest, I’m not crazy or anything I’m just… trying to be honest with you. I don’t know why but I am and.”

“You certainly sound crazy.”

Gentle sighed as he looked at the statue for a moment before looking back at Sunset.

“But I believe you.”

“You do?”

Yes he believed her. Yes she sounded crazy, but he believed her. There was enough crazy shit going around this past year so what was one more thing added on top of it? Least that was how he saw it. Still; magical talking pony from another dimension/world. That was a bit of a curve ball.

“But… isn’t it… kinda weird?”

“Definitely weird.” Gentle admitted. “But… there is a green mist that drives people mad and turns them into monsters.” He told her. “At this point you could tell me that aliens were behind the end of the world and I’d probably believe you.” He chuckled before winching, touching his neck in pain. “Still, it's a lot to take in all at once but yeah…” He trailed off. “I believe you.” Gentle stated as he reached over and patted Sunset’s head.

Sunset brightened as she looked at the boy. He believed her, he actually believed her. Did he not know how much that actually affected her? How it took this invisible load off her shoulders?

“Thank you.” She whispered as Gentle continued to pat her head. “Thank you.”

“Awe isn’t this cute.” Both froze as they looked to hear the new voice reach them. “Hey Sunset, good to see you.” Pure venom was leaving the new figure's lips as Sunset just turned to look at him.

“Flash.”

Author's Note:

From this point on is where the story starts diverging from its original. Hope any that decide to continue reading find it a nice change.
Also, feel free to take a guess as to what/who caused the destruction of Earth in this continuity. You get three guesses and the first two don't count.