• Published 24th Mar 2021
  • 1,110 Views, 5 Comments

Fallen Queendom - Zeroraid



For over a thousand years now Equestria has known a near unbroken peace, one broken with the passing of a month long storm. Now the princesses are forced to rely on outside help in hopes of saving their nation. Considering such a thing is possible.

  • ...
1
 5
 1,110

11

Without a doubt, Ponyville had seen better days. That was the thought that ran through the trios mind as they looked around, attention drifting from one destroyed building to the next. Gentle adopted a regretful look on his face as he took everything in. The town was all but leveled, split open by fissures and overtaken by winding trees, scorch marks covered the ground left and right.

“What happened here?” Sunset asked. “I know you said that something old had returned to Equestria… but what could do all of this?” She asked. “Such destruction… what has this kind of power?”

“The Allmother.” Pale Arts stated.

“The Almother?” Pale Arts nodded her head.

“You may refer to her as a Spirit like Discord, or perhaps something far older.” The older Mare stated. “She is something no alicorn can compete with - nor is she something the Spirits want to test their mettle against.

“Is she that dangerous?” Sunset whispered.

“Yes and no.” Pale Arts stated. “If my memory serves me correctly, in an age past she was actually very calm and was well loved by all that tread across the world. But her temper…” Pale Arts made a noise. “When she lost her temper it was horrifying. Whole nations disappeared into the night, continents were split into fragments… the world would burn…” She paused at some kind of memory. “Again though, she’s typically very mild. No interest in destroying or ruling anything that comes in her path. She loves all unconditionally, but when you force her to hate well… let's just say there’s casualties.”

“Then… what did Equestria ever do to her?” Sunset asked as Pale Arts looked at her before turning elsewhere.

“They spit in her face…” Pale Arts said sadly as she saw Gentle staring at an old damaged horse plushie and raised it with a magical hand. “Do you know what it's like, to love someone with all their heart, to give them everything they could ever need without asking for anything in return? You nurture them, you help raise them up… and in the end they spit in your face. They cast you out, erase your name from their memory, tarnish and destroy everything you once stood for…” Pale Arts heard Gentle press a button on the plushie.

“I love you.”

“That is what they did to her…” Pale Arts muttered. “She who gave them everything, she who fed them, she who sheltered them from the storms…And for all she did for them, they spit in her face.” Pale Arts shook her head. “Shameful really, I wouldn’t be surprised if she clung to some resentment. Would you?”

Sunset seemed to think for a moment as Gentle put the stuffed doll down. “No… I guess I wouldn’t.” She whispered. “I… I basically did the same thing to Princess Celestia.”

“Did you now?” Pale Arts muttered as they continued walking on. “Hindsight is a curse sometimes.”

“It really is…” The two fell silent as they returned to looking around, their attention turned to see everything that the city had to offer. “Where is everyone?”

“Under the guidance of Celestia and Luna, they relocated to the Everfree forest.” Pale Arts admitted. “They built a safe haven around the Castle of Everfree.”

“Is that so…” Sunset muttered as she looked down. “Princess Celestia…”

“You wish to see her don’t you?” Pale Arts muttered. “It’s fine if you wish to go see her, but know I will not follow you, nor will I allow Gentle to go with you.” Both Gentle and Sunset looked at the older mare. “Celestia can not know that Gentle is here, at the same time, she can’t know that I am here.”

“Why?”

“In my case… there is bad blood between Celestia and I fear putting us in the same room right now would simply spell disaster for everyone.” Pale Arts muttered. “As for Gentle… let's just say… Celestia is best left in the dark about this otherworlder.” Gentle tilted his head in confusion. “For now, I mean.”

“Why?”

“Truth?” Pale Arts mused. “I fear she may finish what she started so long ago.” Both Gentle and Sunset paused as they looked at the older mare.

“What do you mean?”

“I’m afraid that is something I can not tell you, at least, not yet.” Pale Arts whispered. “In time I will tell you, but for now.” Pale Arts went silent. “Lets just say… the wound is still fresh…” Sunset looked at Gentle, and he looked at her, before slowly nodding his head.

“Sure.” Sunset muttered.

“When you're ready.” Gentle whispered.

“Thank you.”

“So… where are we going anyway?” Pale Arts just chuckled at the question they’d basically asked a few times already.

“You two still haven’t decided, have you?” The two younger ponies just looked down in embarrassment. “It’s fine we’ll find somewhere to go soon.” Pale Arts stated. For now, what do you say we just look around town, there might not be much left at the moment, but it is still standing. We may find someone, something that we can use.”


Elsewhere

She was singing.

Or at least they thought she was singing.

Her voice wasn’t like anything that her companions had grown used to in their lives. Rather it was like a chorus that could make the angels fall from grace and the demons rise in redemption. No mortal had that kind of voice… then again the Allmother - Gaea was no mortal. When she sung, the world itself moved with some form of resonance. Life was breathed into the tallest of trees and the smallest of plants, polluted waters were purified and the soil grew rich as the wind took part in this inviting dance.

“Beautiful…” The hooded stallion muttered as he listened to his Goddess’s song. Her singing, what she was doing to the world itself, it really was beautiful.

The Allmother gave him an appreciative smile as she continued singing, letting her melody play on as she and her company walked on. If they thought this was beautiful, they should hear her when she wasn’t singing off key… actually that might be a terrible idea. She could all but hypnotize them when she sang properly. It had happened before after all. Turning her attention to a flock of birds she nodded in their direction as she continued her solo performance and unintentionally got them to sing along. And somehow that just made her performance more beautiful.

The mercenary rocked her head from side to side as she swayed with the music. Her companion tried humming along as well. It was kind of strange, they’d never heard this song before, but they knew how it went.

And yet the moment she stopped singing that memory faded away.

“Allmother?” Gaea said nothing as she looked ahead, her attention focusing on something neither of her companions could see and adopted a look of neutrality. “What’s wrong?”

“I feel something has just appeared on my soil.” The Allmother stated as she closed her eyes for a moment and made a face. “Ah~ so that’s what it is.” She opened her eyes again. “The CCrystal Empire has returned.”

“The Crystal Empire?” The Mercenary raised an eyebrow. “Never heard of it.”

“I’m not surprised. It did vanish long before your time after all.” Gaea stated.

The Crystal empire used to be a neighboring kingdom of Equestria.” The hooded stallion muttered. “Located in the Frozen North, it is the realm of the Crystal Ponies, but one thousand years ago, the Crystal Empire disappeared after being cursed by the Umbrum Prince Sombra.” He muttered. “He did so out of spite for Celestia and Luna sealing him away.

“That so?” The mercenary muttered before turning to the All Mother. “And you can tell this city just… reappeared?”

“Yes.” The Allmother stated as she walked on.

“How can you tell?”

“I know where everything is when it rests upon my world.” She stated with a chuckle. “It’s very easy when you’re literally a part of the world.”

“Fair point.” The mercenary stated. “So, what do we do, if the Crystal Empire is back, that means… Sombra is back too, right?”

“Exactly.” The stallion muttered. “My lady, what shhall you have us do?”

“Who said we had to do anything?” The Allmother asked. “Spirits don’t normally involve themselves in mortal problems, less we have a reason to…” She stated. “We mostly find champions to do such things on our behalf.”

“Why?”

“Well, if I became involved in facing this Umbrum, I would win, even in this weakened state of mine… but it would be disastrous.” The Allmother stated. “Not for me - but for everything in a 50 mile radius, at least.”

“The Power of a Spirit is something no Alicorn can compete against.” The stallion spoke up. “If they are forced to use violence it would be like… how to put this?” He paused. “Using a mountain to squash an ant.”

“Ah~” The mercenary made a noise. “So you’re just overpowered.”

“Essentially.” The Allmother stated. “Strength is both a gift and a curse.” She admitted. “To avoid breaking everything, I’ll need someone to fight on my behalf.” She stated as she looked elsewhere for a moment. “In fact… I know just who to choose…” She stated as she started to melt into the ground. “I’ll be right back.”


Ponyville

Pale Arts stared at the destroyed home as she rested her attention on a photo. One housing a family of three, two mares and a little filly. “Same sex marriages are thing now…” She mused. “Now that’s progress if I’d ever seen it.” The mare muttered as she settled the picture down with a smile. “Celestia did some good after all…” She mused as she walked further into the building and looked around, honestly she wasn’t really sure what she was looking for, for now she just seemed to be looking around aimlessly.

“Oh dear.” Pale Arts froze as she heard the voice behind her. “I knew stretching so early was a bad idea, but I really couldn’t help myself…” Behind her stood a six winged Alicorn who seemed to just take in the building interior as she looked about. “I regret that this has happened on my behalf…” She muttered in a sad tone.

“I know…” Pale Arts muttered as she turned around and lowered her head in respect. “It’s been quite some time, Allmother.”

“A thousand years to be exact.” The Allmother stated. “It’s good to see you, my child.” She stated. Despite her wording there were no blood ties that connected these two. It was more… how to put it? As the Allmother, everything began with her. Every rock, every blade of grass, every shard of life… they all traced their roots back to her. “You look well.”

“And you're still rocking the six-winged alicorn look.” Gaea seemed to pause for a moment as she noticed her six wings.

“Ah, I guess you're right.” She stated as her six wings melted into her body and disappeared, as did her horn. “Though, I prefer the Earth Pony look to be honest.” She stated.

“Of course you do.” Pale Arts stated. “So what brings you here to see little old me?”

“I am in need of a champion.” The Allmother stated. “The Crystal Empire has returned, and I’m certain you know what has returned with it.”

“The Usurper.”

“Indeed.” The Earth Pony stated. “You know what will happen if he is left alone. He will bring war to this land, just as he did a thousand years ago.” She stared at the unicorn. “I ask you to lay his soul to rest.”

“Why me?” Pale Arts asked. “I’m certain you already know of the young Mi Amore Cadenza, last living descendent of the Mi Amore line, and rightful heir to the Crystal Throne.”

“Ah yes, I am aware.” The Allmother stated. “But you know how it is, regimes rise and they fall… just like yours did.” The entity muttered as the unicorn turned away. “Just like all those before yours.” She continued. “Still, do you wish to… reclaim your throne?”

“My time upon such a thing has ended.” The mare stated. “I have no desire for a throne anymore.”

“Then what do you desire?” Pale Arts said nothing as she used her magic to pull the ring off her horn and stare at it for a moment.

“Something not even you can give me…”

“Love lost…” The Allmother whispered. “I can mold another version of him for you and yet…”

“It would be a fake.” Pale Arts whispered. “It wouldn’t be him… it could have his face, it could have his memories… but it wouldn’t really be him… it wouldn’t be the kirin I fell in love with so many moons ago…”

“I know…” The Allmother stated as she looked skyward. “I know too well…” She muttered. “In my younger years I fell in love with a mortal myself, and because of that I was taught the pain of losing him. When he passed I grieved, and I…” She paused. “I brought him back, I brought him back so many times - I made so many vessels crafted in his image and gave them his memories…” The Allmother drifted away. “By all means he was back… but slowly I realized I couldn’t love those copies of him… my love for them paled in comparison to how he made me feel…” The entity whispered. “I had to let him go, I had to move on…It hurt. It hurt so much… but I learned something I never would have realized otherwise; grief taught me just how much I loved him, it showed me how much I cherished our time together…”

“Allmother…” Pale Arts fell silent as the entity was pulled out of thoughts and shook her head.

“My apologies…” The Allmother muttered as she returned to the topic on hoof. “To repeat, I seek a champion, will you be that soul?”

“Who am I to deny the Allmother?” Pale Arts asked. “I will do this for you, but I have a request in turn.”

“Name it.”

“I carry two wards under my watch. Less they provoke you, you will not harm them.”

“I have no desire to harm your wards.” The Allmother stated as she looked elsewhere and smiled. “Seems they’re looking for you as we speak.” She admitted. “I will leave things in your hooves, but know that you must act quickly, for little Celestia will no doubt learn of the Crystal Empire’s return herself.”

“And in turn she will send Cadenza…” Pale Arts stated. “I still don’t know why you are against her taking the throne.”

“I have no issue with that.” The Allmother stated. “Truthfully, I’m certain she would be a truly benevolent ruler.” The mare stated. “But so would you.”

“Again, I have no interest in a throne.” Pale Arts stated good naturedly.

“Ah yes… if that’s the case, if you don’t desire it, give it to its rightful Empress or give it to someone else… in the end the choice is yours after all.” The Allmother stated as she started to sink into the ground. “Best of luck, my champion.”

Pale Arts didn’t say anything as she watched the last bits of the entity disappear before her. Closing her eyes she made a face before leaving the home and made a noise. “The Crystal Empire huh…” The mare muttered. “Well, we do need a destination less we choose to wander aimlessly, and I always liked the snow…” She admitted. She walked on for a moment as she started looking for her two companions. “Gentle, Sunset, where are you two?”

It took her a few minutes to find the pair, but when she did, she took notice that both had done a bit of pilfering during their alone time. They’d taken some blankets from some buildings, grabbed some fresh water canteens and a few other necessities for travel.

“I see this isn’t your first time preparing for a trip.” The mare mused as she looked at the two. “Still a little underdressed for where I’m going.”

Sunset raised an eyebrow. “Where are you headed?”

“North, something has come up and I need to head to the Crystal Empire.”

“The Crystal Empire?” Sunset repeated. “I never heard of that place.”

“It’s a place before your time I’m afraid.” Pale Arts stated. “I will be gone for a while, and while leaving you two here is always an option, I’d prefer it if you came with me.”

“Ok.” Gentle whispered before rubbing his throat and called upon his magic to form a hand.

“You said you couldn’t leave us alone right? So I’ll go where you go.”

Gentle looked at Sunset for a moment. “Likewise… Still, that’s going to be quite a walk.”

“Who said I planned on walking the entire way?” Pale Arts asked as she looked at the two. “Find some winter coats, you're going to need them.” They did just that, heading off to find something for much colder weather before coming back a few minutes later. “Now then, if you’ll excuse me this will just take a second.” The mare stated as she stepped away for a moment as she closed her eyes and her horn started to glow.

Gentle’s jaw dropped while Sunset looked in disbelief, both of them watching as Pale Arts shadow started to come alive, wrapped around its owner as a giant sphere that started to reshape itself like it was made of clay. Limbs were sprouted, a tail and a head were molded into existence, wings grew out of the apparitions back.

“A… dragon of shadows.” Sunset whispered in amazement.

“That is so cool!” Gentle immediately regretted his outpurst as he put a hoof on his throat and winched.

“How did she?”

“Shadow Magic.”

Pale Arts voice came from the dragon as she lowered one of her wings as she molded it to take an appearance similar to stairs.

“Now climb aboard, we have a lot of ground to cover.”