• Published 24th Mar 2021
  • 1,110 Views, 5 Comments

Fallen Queendom - Zeroraid



For over a thousand years now Equestria has known a near unbroken peace, one broken with the passing of a month long storm. Now the princesses are forced to rely on outside help in hopes of saving their nation. Considering such a thing is possible.

  • ...
1
 5
 1,110

12

When he was younger, Gentle used to dream about flying. He used to dream about flying across the sky of a giant griffon or an armorclad wyvern. Too many movies and fantasy stories had gotten to him when he was little. He wasn’t going to lie though, it looked incredibly fun.

He knew - rather he felt he’d never get a chance to actually get a chance to actually ride one though.

Well, till today anyway.

While it was without a doubt fun, it was also terrifying.

Gentle ended up getting into an impromptu screaming match with Sunset as they rode Pale Arts’ Shadow Dragon across the sky.

Half way screaming and halfway laughing, the two couldn’t help themselves as they raced across the sky. Even with their hind legs all but fused into the shadows, the pair were holding on for dear life, trying to make certain they weren’t going to fall off for whatever reason.

In the end, Sunset won the screaming match, Gentle’s voice shutting down as he overworked them and was stuck silently screaming and laughing at what was going on.

Honestly, it was kind of a shame that their flight actually came to an end. The Shadow Dragon dropping out of the sky and landing in the snow that made up the Frozen North before disappearing.

“Alright.” Pale Arts muttered as she adjusted her coat and pulled up her hood. “This is as far as my shadow can take us, I’m afraid we’ll have to walk the rest of the way.” She told her wards as she looked back to them and saw they were still on the ground and laughing their heads.

“That…” Sunset choked out. “That was awesome!” She cheered. “And terrifying, I almost peed myself!” Gentle nodded his head vigorously as Pale Arts just released a light smile and helped the pair up. “You have to take us flying again!”

“Later, right now we have to finish our travels on foot.” Pale Arts stated. As she looked skyward, she focused on the storm that was brewing in the distance. “That storm will be too much for me to fly through.” She muttered as she looked back at her two companions. “Stay close, alright?”

“Right.” Both younger ponies nodded their heads as they adjusted their coats and followed the older mare into the snow.


Elsewhere

Thinking was hard, it hadn’t always been this way, but being sealed away for so long had its consequences. Consequences made even harder when your corporal form had been shattered along with most of one's consciousness. It would take some time before he could fully regather himself, restore his essence. Physically that would be rather easy; his mind though, that was another story. His dark powers were deeply tied to his mind. That was what he needed to piece back together first. He needed to stitch his mind back together - needed to regain control over the power that raged inside him. That would take some time; his body - his flesh and bone could wait.

?

Well, well, wasn’t this curious? The shattered thoughts of a dark soul resonated to create that single thought. In their broken state they ‘saw’ something wandering the blizzard, something just as old as he was - maybe even a bit older. Something that had wrapped itself in a beautiful darkness and heading for his Empire.

It appeared, someone else sought his land.


This was ridiculous.

That was the thought that ran through Gentle’s mind as he took a moment to wipe his snow goggles clean in an attempt to get a better view of what was going on in front of him. He’d seen storms before, but none of them were like this. It wasn’t just cold, it felt like the ice and snow was trying to suck his soul out.

Seriously, how was it this cold?

Shivering despite the jacket he was wearing, Gentle looked to Sunset as she used her magic to adjust her scarf.

“I thought Canterlot City was cold during the winter…” She muttered as she tried keeping most of her face covered. “And I don’t just mean the Canterlot City in the Human world.”

“Ah yes, it’s been quite a while since I experienced this level of cold myself.” Pale Arts stated. “This blizzard could freeze the soul of the weak-willed, don’t you think?” Neither Sunset nor Gentle responded, instead just letting the weather wash over them. “It reminds me of the winter back in the old lands.” Pale Arts sounded amused as some memory that flashed before her eyes.

“How much further do we have to go?”

“It shouldn’t be much farther.” Pale Arts muttered as she took a breath. “Honestly this would be much easier if I could sense the Heart…”

“The what?”

“The Crystal Heart.” Pale Arts stated. “It’s a relic from a past age, one that keeps the Crystal Empire safe from both the blizzards and the cruel hearted.”

“Is that so?” Sunset shivered as she looked back to make sure Gentle was keeping up with them. He was. “What can you tell us about this Crystal Empire?”

“As I said before, it’s a place before your time.” Pale Arts repeated. “It is a place older than Equestria, one once ruled by the Mi Amore family line.” Sunset seemed to flinch for a moment, but only Gentle seemed to notice. “Of course that was a thousand years ago, before the Umbrum King rose to power.”

“Who?” Gentle croaked out.

“You would know him as…” Pale Arts paused for a moment. “Well I guess you wouldn’t know him.” She corrected herself. “The Umbrum King would go by the name Sombra. He is a unicorn with a curved red horn and a blackened heart.” She stated. “A thousand moons ago, he overthrew the Mi Amore line and sought to expand his new dominion across the southern lands to Equestria, but he failed, as the Sisters - Celestia and Luna shattered his form and sealed away his soul.” Pale Arts stated. “Of course, he did not fall without consequence. With a powerful curse he sealed the Crystal Empire away - where is somewhere even I don’t know, but the Crystal Empire has apparently returned, and so has Sombra.”

“So~ you’re trying to save the Crystal Empire from this Sombra?” Sunset asked. “Why?”

“It was a request, nothing more, nothing less.” Pale Arts admitted. “A request that, if I declined, would be asked to another, and fall upon the shoulders of one I fear may not be ready.” She stated. “And while I have nothing against entrusting another with such a task, I feel that they should not be forced to inherit the debts and sins written by the old generation.” Pale Arts was met with silence as the pair walked on for a bit longer. The storm continued to rage around them before eventually falling silent. “And here we are, the eye of the storm.” Pale Arts stated as she stopped and looked back at her two wards. “And may I introduce to you, the Crystal Empire.”


Haven

Despite being her student, Twilight didn’t really have the most refined table manners. Her manners weren’t… terrible, at least not when she wasn’t eating her favorite food and scarfing it down like a mare that had been fasting for days. That said, even though Twilight’s favorite food wasn’t on the menu, she still ate like a mare possessed. Like she’d been lost in the desert without food or water up until yesterday.

Honestly, Celestia didn’t mind though.

It was good to know that Twilight hadn’t lost her appetite upon starting her work in trying to figure out and refine Star Swirl’s spell. The mare gave up enough when she started studying up on something.

‘So many days studying, so many days just locked away in her Observatory…’ Celestia released a light smile as she looked at the mare that she’d taken under her wing so long ago. So many years had past already, and she couldn’t help but wonder just how many more would be needed before Twilight no longer needed her guidance, before she-

She didn’t want to finish that thought… at least, not right now.

There was still time after all, time before things reached that moment.

Luna just glanced in her sister’s direction, her attention going unnoticed both her elder sister and her prized pupil. She noticed that Celestia’s thoughts had turned somewhere, where though, that was a question that she couldn’t answer. For whatever reason, that sent a child down her spine. ‘What are you thinking sister?’

“Thinking? No… She’s planning something.” The Nightmare whispered into her ears as Luna returned to her own food. “Like always, the gears and cogs in her head are turning, trying to find a way to bring something she desires into reality.” The Nightmare told her. “And any deviations to the plan she creates is going to be seen as an obstacle that needs to be struck down.”

‘That’s not what’s going on…’

“Are you sure? You know that look in her eyes, it’s the same look that ‘she’ had so long ago.”

‘Don’t you dare compare them…’ Luna thought as her eyes narrowed as she took another bite from her food. ‘They are nothing alike.’

“You can’t lie to me.” The Nightmare remarked. “I am you, and you are me.” The Nightmare stated. “Be careful of where you tread near her.”

Before Luna could remark the doors to their little place of respite were pushed open, as she and the three mares turned to see one of the guardponies running through.

“News from northern Equestria!” The pony ended up shouting before lowering their head and removing their helmet in respect.

“What is it?” Celestia asked as she lowered her tea and turned to the guard.

“I am simply to tell you… ‘it’ has returned.” Celestia gasped as if in surprise while Luna just stared at her in confusion.

“It?” Twilight’s one-worded question went ignored as Luna tried to think for a moment.

‘It… what is it?’ She paused. ‘Northern Equestria… what could be up there that…’ A memory flashed before Luna’s eyes as she straightened up, realization crossing her face as Celestia gave an order. ' It can't be...

“Find Princess Cadence and Shining Armor.” Luna jtared at her sister for a moment as she took a breath. Things were going to get complicated soon... weren't they?