• Published 6th Apr 2021
  • 1,621 Views, 82 Comments

Eric Sparkle and the Crystal Caverns - Skywalker215



Eric Sparkle and his friends must solve the mystery of Canterlot’s Crystal Caverns.

  • ...
3
 82
 1,621

Chapter 6: Questions and Answers

The next morning, Eric was sound asleep in his bedroom. Ron woke up from his pet bed, climbed up on to Eric’s bed, then nuzzled and licked his face, leading Eric to wake up immediately.

“Morning, Ron,” Eric said, Ron chittered and squeaked in response.

Eric got dressed, folded his pajamas on his bed, then he and Ron went to the dining room, where Spike and Starlight were.

“Morning, Spike. Morning, Starlight,” Eric said.

“Morning, Eric,” Starlight replied.

“Morning. Your breakfast is served,” Spike added as he passed a plate of pancakes, scrambled eggs, and hash browns to Eric.

“Thanks, Spike,” said Eric.

After he, Spike, and Starlight finished eating, Eric wrote a letter to his friends in Canterlot. Once finished, he gave it to Spike and he sent it to the princesses.

Eric then went into the library and asked, “Starlight, before I go to the Crystal Empire, is it okay if I go hang out with my friends?”

“Sure, just be back here by 11:30 and don’t go into the Everfree Forest. Remember what your parents told you,” Starlight replied.

“Never go into the Everfree Forest without adult supervision,” Eric said.

“Very good. Carry on,” Starlight replied.

Eric exited the castle, got on his broom and went to the CMCs clubhouse.

“Hi, Eric!” The three fillies greeted in unison.

“Hi, girls,” Eric said, “You want to go to Whitetail Woods and meet up with Holly?”

“Sounds good,” Apple Bloom replied.

Eric then got back on his broom with Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo in tow headed for Whitetail Woods.

In Canterlot, Princess Celestia received Eric’s letter and ordered, “Captain Blitzwing, can you please summon Nightshade and the others here right away?”

“As you wish, your highness,” Blitzwing replied as he went out.

Soon enough, Blitzwing escorted Nightshade, Zuni, Marina, and Slapstick to the castle.

“You summoned us, princess?” Nightshade asked.

“Yes. Eric sent me a letter regarding the basilisk. Apparently, he has some questions that need your help in answering, and I’ll answer any questions you have on the matter,” Celestia said.

“Why is there a basilisk here in Canterlot in the first place?” Zuni asked.

“Is this monster responsible for all the disappearances that happened in the Crystal Caverns over the course of a thousand years?” Nightshade added.

“Before I used the Elements of Harmony to imprison Glacio in the ice, he bred a basilisk, whom he called Grimlock and placed him in the Crystal Caverns shortly after our old castle was destroyed. Since then, the basilisk has devoured all ponies who dared to venture into the caverns, except for my niece, Princess Cadance and my former star students, Princess Twilight and Prince Storm when they were trapped down there by Queen Chrysalis,” Celestia explained.

“Grimlock?” Slapstick wondered.

“That monster has a name?” Marina asked.

“According to the princess, he does have a name. Since basilisks can live for centuries, it’s possible that he has descendants who’re also loyal to Glacio lurking in the Everfree Forest. Eric also wants us to meet him, Holly, and the CMCs at the Crystal Empire,” Nightshade replied.

“With Grimlock on the loose, you four need a guard escort to the train station,” Celestia said.

“Windcharger!” Blitzwing called.

The pegasus guard called Windcharger then came into the throne room and asked in unison, “Yes, Captain?”

“I’m sending you to escort Nightshade and his friends to the train station, and when you return, please inform their families about their whereabouts,” Blitzwing ordered.

“Yes, sir,” Windcharger said while saluting the captain.

Windcharger escorted Nightshade, Marina, Zuni, and Slapstick to the station waiting for the next train to the Crystal Empire.

Back in Ponyville, Eric finished packing his backpack. He was able to fit a large amount of items in his backpack since he placed an undetectable extension charm on it.

“See you in four days, Eric. Be good for your uncle and aunt, ok?” Starlight said.

“OK. Bye, Starlight,” Eric replied as he hugged her.

Eric and his friends went to the station, got tickets for the Crystal Empire and boarded the train.

Once at Canterlot Station, Nightshade, Zuni, Marina, and Slapstick boarded the train.

“Hello, Eric,” Nightshade greeted.

“Hi, Nightshade,” Eric said, “What are you so excited about?”

“I’m gonna be a big brother soon!” Nightshade replied.

“I’m happy for ya, Shady,” Apple Bloom said as she gave him a kiss.

Soon enough, the train reached the Crystal Empire station. They got off and found Captain Brawn waiting for Eric.

“Hi, Captain Brawn,” Eric greeted.

“Hello, Eric. Your uncle and aunt sent me to escort you to the palace,” Brawn replied. “I see you’ve brought your friends.”

Soon enough, Eric and his friends, escorted by Captain Brawn reached the palace.

“Hi Uncle Shining! Hi Aunt Cadence!” Eric greeted.

“Hi, little buddy,” Shining replied as he hugged him.

“Hi, Eric. How’s our sweet little nephew today?” Cadence added as she hugged him.

I’m doing good, Aunt Cadence. While I’m here, my friends and I have some questions that need answering,” Eric replied.

“Did you, Princess Twilight, and Prince Storm see the basilisk when you were trapped inside the Crystal Caverns?” Nightshade asked.

“We might have heard the beast but we didn’t stick around for it to see us,” Cadence replied.

Nightshade and the others told Eric and the other CMCs everything they found out about the basilisk from Princess Celestia.

A few hours later, Nightshade and the others had to return to their homes.

Eric gave hugs to all his friends, including Sweetie Belle, who kissed him and said, “See you later, cutie boo.”

Cadence looked on and giggled at this, then Shining said, “Way to go, little nephew.”

After seeing off his friends, Eric kept pacing thinking about what to do.

Soon enough, Flash Sentry and Gloriosa came into the lounge room with Flurry Heart, then have her to Cadence and Shining Armor.

“Hi, Uncle Flash. Hi, Gloriosa,” Eric greeted.

“Hi, Eric,” Flash replied.

“Hi, Flurry,” Eric said.

As always, Flurry reaches her hooves out on to Eric’s face.

“Aunt Cadence, is it ok if I play with Flurry?” Eric asked.

“Sure you can, honey. Just be careful with her,” Cadence replied.

“Be mindful of her magic,” Shining added.

As the two cousins played together, Eric recalled something that Ted, Lacey, Jasper, and Smokey used to do with him when he was a baby. He hid his face behind his hands and asked, “Where’s Flurry?” After waiting a few seconds, Eric pulled his hands away from his face quickly and said, “There she is!” Flurry giggled at this as Eric kept up his little game and a bond between cousins formed.

After dinner, Eric put his pjs on, got his teeth brushed, then read his copy of ‘The Tales of Beedle the Bard’ before he went into a guest bedroom, where, Shining and Cadence tucked him in.

“Aunt Cadance, can you read to me please?” Eric asked.

“Of course, sweetheart,” Cadence said before picking out a story titled, ‘Leapfrog the Jungle Colt’

Soon enough, Eric fell asleep, then Cadence kissed him on his forehead and said, “Good night, Eric. I love you,”

“Night, Aunt Cadance. I love you too,” Eric replied drowsily.

Author's Note:

The chapter is called 'Questions and Answers' because of Eric and friends' questions about the basilisk being answered.