• Published 6th Apr 2021
  • 1,621 Views, 82 Comments

Eric Sparkle and the Crystal Caverns - Skywalker215



Eric Sparkle and his friends must solve the mystery of Canterlot’s Crystal Caverns.

  • ...
3
 82
 1,621

Chapter 3: Eric's Birthday

It was now July 4th. Eric was asleep, Twilight came in and woke him up by tickling him with her wings, making him stir, and he woke up right away.

“Morning, Eric. Happy birthday, sweetie,” Twilight said.

“Morning, mommy. Thank you,” Eric replied.

Eric told Twilight, Storm, and all his friends when his birthday was a few months back. He was now six years old.

They went into the dining room with Storm, Starlight, and Spike. Soon enough, the pancakes and scrambled eggs were ready. Eric got some chocolate chip pancakes with maple syrup and whipped cream, he then started eating, along with everyone else.

“Happy birthday, sport,” Storm said.

“Thanks, Storm,” Eric replied.

As soon as they were all finished eating, Twilight and Spike began writing party invitations. She then used a copying spell and mailed them across Ponyville, then to Canterlot and the Crystal Empire.

A short time later, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Jasper, and Smokey, along with Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo came over to help get the castle ready for the party. Eric and Storm went out and tried to think of what to do until the party began.

“Storm, can we go to Cloudsdale?” Eric asked.

“Sure we can, sport. Just let me cast the cloud-walking spell,” Storm replied as his horn lit up.

As soon as the cloud-walking spell was in place, Storm teleported to Cloudsdale with Eric. There, Eric climbed on Storm’s back and they walked around the city, he then started shivering.

“It’s really cold up here. It’s also very hard to breathe,” Eric said.

“That’s because of the altitude. The higher up you go, the colder it gets, and the air is thin. Let’s go inside and get warm,” Storm replied.

Meanwhile, in the Crystal Mountains ice fortress, Glacio and Frostbite were anxiously waiting for a report. Just then, Hot Shot and his cohorts, along with Prince Blueblood came in.

“Anything to report?” Frostbite asked.

“We released Grimlock to cause trouble in Canterlot as ordered, my lord,” Blueblood replied.

“Good. We shall send you some assistance, Blueblood,” Glacio replied, then called, “Wind Rider! Descent!”

Just then, a pale cerulean pegasus stallion with a greenish gray mane, amber eyes, aviator jacket and a helmet with goggles and winglets for a cutie mark came in, along with a pale grayish blue pegasus stallion with a dark blue mane, yellow eyes, and a skull with wings for a cutie mark.

“You wanted to see us, my lord?” Descent asked.

“Correct, you two are to accompany Blueblood in his spying operations, disguised as guards,” Glacio ordered.

“As you wish, my lord,” Wind Rider replied.

Soon enough, Blueblood teleported himself, along with Wind Rider and Descent back to Canterlot. There, he released his personal guards from his service, then Wind Rider and Descent put on their disguises.

Back in Cloudsdale one and a half hours later, Eric and Storm were at the Wonderbolts Museum. Just as they went through all the exhibits, Eric heard his stomach rumbling then said, “I’m getting hungry, Storm.”

“How ‘bout we go to the Sky High Café, and then go meet the Wonderbolts afterwards?” Storm suggested.

“I’d like that,” Eric replied as they exited the museum.

Once at the café, they happened to see a bluish purple pegasus stallion with a rainbow mane and tail, amber eyes, with a rainbow and horseshoe for a cutie mark, and a light grayish cornflower blue pegasus mare with cerise eyes, an orange mane and tail with lighter orange streaks, a cloud with whistling wind waves for a cutie mark, and a blue sweater.

There was also a pale, light malachite green pegasus stallion with a light amaranthish gray mane, grayish turquoise eyes, along with a three clouds cutie mark. Beside him was a pale amber pegasus mare with a raspberry colored mane and tail, cerise eyes with glasses on, and three flowers as a cutie mark, along with golden earrings and pearl necklace.

“Hi, Storm,” The light green stallion greeted.

“How’ve you been?” the amber mare asked.

“Hi, Posey. Hi, Gentle Breeze. I’ve never been better, especially since I moved in with my girlfriend, Twilight,” Storm replied.

“I’m Eric Sparkle, and it’s my birthday,” Eric introduced himself.

“Good to meet you, Eric. Happy birthday,” said Posey.

“Hi, Windy. Hi, Hothoof. These are Fluttershy’s and Rainbow’s friends, Sir Storm Blade and Eric Sparkle,” Gentle Breeze greeted.

“Pleasure to finally meet you two. Our daughters speak very highly of you,” Windy said to Storm.

“Mind if we join you?” Storm asked.

“Don’t mind at all,” said Bow Hothoof.

Soon enough, Eric and Storm each ordered a salad topped with almonds and shredded cheese, along with breadsticks. While eating, Eric told Fluttershy’s and Rainbow’s parents about his arrival in Equestria, adoption, and everything else he did since.

After they finished eating, Eric and Storm went to the Wonderbolt Academy. There, they noticed a golden pegasus mare with a bright orange mane and tail with amber stripes, brownish orange eyes and wore a blue suit with a yellow stripe on the underside and a yellow lightning bolt on the hip. There was also a pale cornflower blue pegasus stallion with a dark blue mane and tail, green eyes and wore the same outfit only his had a winged lightning bolt on the hip, along with two additional pegasus mares: the first was light arctic blue with a light gray mane and tail and had cerise eyes, the second was pale light olive with mane and tail colored in two shades of light arctic blue, had sea green eyes and both wore he same uniform as the others.

“Hi, Spitfire. Hi, Soarin,” Storm greeted.

“Good to see you, Sir Storm,” Soarin replied.

“You’re Eric Sparkle, good to finally meet you,” Spitfire greeted.

“Good to meet you too, Captain Spitfire,” Eric said.

“What brings you two here?” Soarin asked.

“I’m just showing Eric around Cloudsdale, it’s his birthday today,” Storm replied.

“Happy birthday, Eric. I’m Fleetfoot, and this here’s Misty Fly,” the arctic blue mare said pointing to her wing-mare.

“Hi, Eric. Happy birthday,” Misty Fly added.

“How do you all know my name?” Eric asked.

“Rainbow Dash told us about you,” Soarin replied.

Soon enough, Eric and Storm left the Wonderbolt Academy, with Eric waving to Spitfire and Soarin. Storm then teleported himself and Eric back to Ponyville. Once back at the castle, they went inside finding out the lights were off.

Just then the lights were turned on, confetti cannons fired off, then Pinkie tooted a party favor and shouted, “SURPRISE! Happy birthday!”

Everypony else revealed themselves and unfurled a banner which read ‘Happy Birthday Eric’ on it.

Eric was in his happy place, surrounded by family and friends, he then noticed a huge stack of presents.

“Are those for me?” Eric asked.

“You bet they are, birthday boy. Happy birthday,” Applejack replied.

“Happy birthday, Eric,” Fluttershy added.

“Happy birthday, little buddy,” Rainbow said.

“Happy birthday, darling,” Rarity added.

Just then, Eric heard his grandparents say, “Hi, Eric!”

“Grandpa! Grandma!” Eric said as he hugged them.

“Happy birthday, dearie,” Velvet replied.

“Happy birthday, little dude,” Night Light added.

“Hi, Uncle Shining! Hi, Aunt Cadance!” Eric greeted as he hugged his aunt and uncle, “Good to see you again, Sunburst.”

“Hi, Eric. Happy birthday,” Sunburst greeted.

“Happy birthday, buddy,” Shining said.

“Happy birthday, Eric, you sweet little nephew,” Cadance added, “There’s somepony else who wants to say, ‘happy birthday’”

“Hi, Flurry,” said Eric to his baby cousin.

Flurry babbled and reached her hooves out, making contact with Eric’s face.

Eric was soon greeted by his friends.

“Hi Eric! Happy birthday,” Nightshade said.

“Hi Nightshade!” Eric replied.

Eric also received a hug and ‘Happy Birthday’ from Holly, Marina, Zuni, Slapstick, Marina, Jasper and Smokey, along with his cousins, Stardust and Moonshadow, his great-uncle and great-aunt, Valiant Knight and Starshine, and all his classmates.

“Happy birthday, Eric,” said Cheerilee as she hugged him.

“I’m glad we invited you, Miss Cheerilee. It’s nice to see you outside school,” Eric replied.

Just then, Lancer, Kimono, Misty Sky, Flash Sentry, Scarlet Dusk, and Stargazer came up to Eric, along with a pale green pegasus stallion with a yellow-green mane and tail, pear green eyes, and two lightning bolts and a pine tree for a cutie mark. They each hugged him and wished him a ‘happy birthday’.

“Hi, Eric. I’m Forest Thunder, Storm’s cousin,” the pale green pegasus stallion said, “Happy birthday.”

“Good to meet you, Forest,” Eric replied.

“Sorry I didn’t come for Thanksgiving, I was sick with the flu,” Forest apologized.

“Eric, I’d like you to meet my cousin, Gloriosa Daisy.” Cheerilee said. She was a pale amaranth pink earth pony mare with a mane and tail colored in two shades of raspberry, light green eyes, a single daisy for a cutie mark, and she wore a headdress made of daisies.

“Good to meet you, Gloriosa,” Eric said.

“Same here. My cousin, Cheerilee told me about you. I’m a maid in the Crystal Castle.” Gloriosa replied, “My brother, Timber Spruce also wants to meet you.”

Just then, there came a light tangelo orange earth pony stallion with grayish green eyes, a mane and tail colored in two shades of aquamarine, and a gold four-point star with spruce branches on both sides for a cutie mark.

Even Princesses Celestia and Luna were present, Eric came up and eagerly greeted them, “Princess Celestia! Princess Luna! You came!”

“Hi, Eric. Happy birthday,” Celestia replied.

“We wouldn’t miss your birthday for anything,” Luna added.

Soon enough it was time for cake. The cake had one layer vanilla and the other one chocolate with chocolate frosting and vanilla filling, as well as six lit candles atop. After Eric blew out the candles, the cake was sliced and everyone got their share of it, as well as indulging in cookies, ice cream, chips, crackers, and veggie platters.

Eric began opening his gifts. He got new clothes from Rarity, pet toys for Ron and a book on magical creatures from Fluttershy, a wooden pet bed and a blanket from Applejack, Wonderbolt posters from Rainbow Dash, a rock candy kit from Pinkie Pie, some magic and history books, along with new quills from his mom, Twilight, and some new toys, including a frisbee from Storm. Eric also got gifts and cards from the rest of his family and friends.

“Nightshade, anything to report from Canterlot?” Eric asked.

“We spotted Blueblood and the rest of Glacio’s minions near the entrance of the Crystal Caverns, then they released a dangerous creature. It was snake-like with talons, leathery wings like a dragon, yellow eyes, and had a mouth full of sharp teeth. Afterwards, some ponies were mysteriously paralyzed,” Nightshade explained.

“This can’t be a coincidence, that creature must be responsible for all the paralyzed ponies. As far as we’ve seen, they haven’t been bitten,” Zuni added.

“Yeah, how could anypony be paralyzed just like that?” Marina pointed out.

“The monster you’re talking about is a basilisk,” Eric said.

“How do you know that?” Slapstick asked.

“Jasper and Smokey told me about them. In my birth world, they are giant snakes roughly 60 feet long, and mainly kill their victims by looking them in the eye,” Eric explained.

“I’ve heard about them too. Here in Equestria, basilisks are very similar to cockatrices, only bigger and their eyes will instantly paralyze anything that looks directly into them. Only phoenixes, dragons, and changelings are immune to the basilisk’s gaze,” Holly added.

“We need to tell Princesses Celestia and Luna immediately,” Nightshade said.

“Not yet, first we need to go to Storm and then tell the princesses about Prince Blueblood,” Eric replied.

Meanwhile, everypony else was mingling. Forest Thunder was talking with Rainbow Dash and Twilight’s cousin, Stardust was talking with Timber Spruce, and Flash was with Trixie. Both Rainbow and Stardust blushed at Forest’s and Timber’s words and found the two stallions attractive, Timber seemed mesmerized by Stardust’s pretty looks. Flash also seemed to be smitten with Trixie, and vice versa.

“Storm, we need to talk to Princesses Celestia and Luna. It’s about Prince Blueblood,” Eric said.

“Perhaps it is time. Finally we’ll be rid of that highly polished jerk,” Storm replied.

Eric and his friends, along with Storm came up to the royal sisters and said, “Princesses Celestia and Luna, Prince Blueblood is a spy working for Glacio. There’s also a basilisk on the loose.”

“It’s true, Eric and his friends overheard it all during the Grand Galloping Gala last year,” Storm added.

“We always knew he was a snob and a jerk to many, but I never thought he would ever be a traitor,” Luna replied.

“We’ll deal with him when we return to Canterlot. We must inform Captain Blitzwing about this right away, and we must place Canterlot and Ponyville on high alert,” Celestia added.

After making an announcement, Celestia and Luna left for Canterlot, seeing off everypony else, including Eric.

Eric and his friends went back to mingling, among the guests were three earth pony mares, Eric immediately recognized Maud, since he met her at the Grand Galloping Gala. The second mare had stern brows and a smile, and she had a bluish gray coat, a straight opalish gray mane and tail, light apple green eyes, and had two gray rocks underneath a sliced lime for a cutie mark. The third one had a shy smile similar to Fluttershy, she had a turquoise gray coat, a long and straight dark grayish cyan mane and tail, grayish violet eyes, and had three purple marble pebbles for a cutie mark.

“Hi, Maud,” Eric said.

“Hi, Eric. Happy birthday,” Maud replied, “These are mine and Pinkie’s sisters, Limestone and Marble Pie.”

“Hi, Limestone! Hi, Marble!” Eric greeted.

“Gaze into the eyes of Limestone Pie,” Limestone said, causing Eric to feel scared.

“Limestone, you’re scaring him,” Maud said, before turning to Eric, “That’s just Limestone’s way of saying ‘hi’.”

After Eric was done mingling with the Pie sisters, Sweetie Belle came up to him and said, “Happy birthday, cutie-boo.” She then kissed him on his cheek, he blushed then said as they hugged and nuzzled, “Thanks, Sweetie Belle. This is the best birthday I’ve ever had.”

A few hours later, the party was over and everypony left. After a nice dinner, Eric then went to sleep feeling relaxed after his special day.

Author's Note:

Image of Wind Rider courtesy of DashieSparkle

Image of Pony Gloriosa Daisy courtesy of SLB94

Image of Timber Spruce's cutie mark courtesy of CloudyGlow