• Published 4th Mar 2021
  • 3,613 Views, 626 Comments

Turmoil Rising - JFT



Princess Twilight Sparkle, the new ruler of Equestria, and her friends embark on a grand adventure, discovering unsettling truth about their world, while familiar evil faces are recruited by an ancient darkness.

  • ...
9
 626
 3,613

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 61: Pulled Back from the Brink

Author's Note:

Sorry for being a day late guys.
Hope you enjoy it.

Thunder and lightning echoed across the sky above the large burnt tree, raindrops being the only thing that had extinguished the fire by now. What was left of most of the Griffinstone was little more than ruins, only the buildings close to the extended branch were mostly spared. The only structure that was left untouched was the old fortress that up until now had been left uninhabited, but now, it was teeming with life. The residents of the city took refuge from the storm outside, huddling together, while the rescuers made tried to ensure that their stay was as comfy as possible.

Applejack and Rainbow Dash, along with the two dragon siblings and the changeling, tried to fix the large hole high up in the wall, the foremost beating the last nail on it. “Alright, we’re done,” the orange pony said, after spitting the hammer out of her mouth. “Well done, y’all.”

“AJ, you sure that’s gonna be enough to keep the rain and wind out?” the pegasus asked.

“Ah’m the one doing the fixin’, Dash, Ah know what I’m doin’. Now come on, get me down.”

She grabbed the earth pony around her waist and slowly glided to the ground. “Well, you maybe know what you’re doing but I don’t think she is.”

She pointed at Rarity and Silverstream, who were putting up curtains over the entrance that was missing the doors since the arimaspi busted them.

“Rares, what are you doin’? That’s not gonna keep the elements out,” Applejack complained.

“Well, it's not like we have much choice. After all, you had to use the busted down doors to plug the hole in the wall since they were the only thing big enough to cover it.”

“Point taken,” she sighed.

The hippogriff peaked outside, through the clothed entry. “You sure you don’t want to come inside, Gallus?”

“I want to be alone right now, Silverstream,” the griffin’s voice came from the other end.

She pulled back in. “I’m really worried about him… He’s been really moody ever since he and Grandpa Gruff were in the ravine.”

“Did he get hurt?” Rainbow Dash inquired.

“Not physically, no. And certainly not from any of the monsters that were here today. I wish there was something I could do for him…”

“Twilight could probably do something about that. Go and ask her. She and Zecora are making sure nobody got hurt too badly.”

The pink hippogriff walked off with a concerned look on her face.

The wonderbolt walked over to Rarity’s side. “Rares, come. We have to do this.”

They went towards the trio of dragons, or rather a duo, as one of them shapeshifted into her normal form.

They were about to leave when the two mares approached them. “Garble, can we talk to you for a moment?” the sports pony asked

“Ocellus, you’re free to go,” the fashionista said.

As the reformed changeling trot off, her peer showed some concern.

The two ponies looked at one another and then hung their heads. “We’re sorry for doubting you,” they said in unison.

The look on the elder one displayed surprise, while his younger sibling was confused. “What’s this about?” Smolder inquired.

“We have to confess, Smolder, to your brother,” Rarity explained. “I know back at Dragon Lands we said we were willing to look past the… well, past. But the truth is that we couldn’t. We still remember what awful things Garbel did, and we couldn’t just let it go.”

“But when we saw how your brother willingly used himself as a shield to protect Twilight from the fire blast, that’s when we realized that maybe you deserve to get some slack cut,” Rainbow Dash elaborated. “So, we’re now asking if you could forgive us.”

The red dragon felt taken aback. “I… I don’t know what to say…”

“I don’t think words are necessary here, Gar-Gar.” She shoved him with an elbow.

“Smolder!” he said in restrained anger, acting as if he was trying to shut her mouth as she grinned.

The two mares looked at each other, confused.


Pinkie Pie, as well as Gilda, were preparing the nourishment for the refugees. To help pass the time, Trixie and her “assistant” were entertaining them, all the while Fluttershy and Yona were playing with griffin hatchlings.

Silverstream walked among the gathered crowd trying to locate the Princess of Friendship, but she noticed that somebody was missing. “Miss Gilda, where’s Gabby?”

“Went off to see the Griffin Lords. They need to know what’s happened and we can’t wait until the storm stops.

“I see. Say, have you seen Twilight? I have to ask-“

“Silverstream!” her voice called out. “Just the hippogriff I’m looking for.” Spike and Zecora were by her side.

“You and me both,” she replied.

“Listen, we’re just about done checking everycreature for wounds. Have you seen Gallus?” the little dragon asked.

“Well, yeah I was actually going to get you for that. He’s outside by the entrance.”

“Why is he not inside?” the shaman wondered. “Nobody would go out right now for a stride.”

"I was hoping you could figure that out."


The rain was still falling, the sound of thunder being heard every now and then. Outside, the local student was leaning against the fortress wall, looking into the distance where the smoldering ruins of the town now stood. The healer checked the young griffin from head to toe to make sure, and he made no moves to resist it as if he just wanted to get it over with.

“No physical ailment that I could see by eye,” Zecora answered. “He seems as fresh as Pinkie’s pie.”

“Please don’t mention food, Zecora,” Spike said, his tummy grumbling.

“Don’t worry, Spike, we’ll get to eat soon,” Twilight calmed him. “We just need to check up on Ember. She said she’ll let others go ahead of her, that she doesn’t need any medical attention, but considering how roughed up she was, I’m doubtful.”

“Assuming we can find her. I wonder where she went, it’s almost as if she’s just disappeared.”

“Dragon Lord Ember? She went down to the ruins,” Silverstream answered.

Twilight was shocked. “Wait, what?! When?!”

“Earlier when I was helping Rarity hang up the drapes.”

“Why would she just wander out into the rain?” The little dragon couldn’t understand.

“We’re gonna find out. Come on, Spike.”

“Wait, Twilight! An umbrella!”

And in a purple flash, an umbrella appeared out of thin air and landed in his hands. Without further wait they dashed off down the tree towards the ruins, leaving the two feathered hybrids and the zebra behind.

“You should go back inside, in this weather your health is an unpredictable ride,” the shaman ordered the pink student.

She nodded and was about to walk away, then halted for a moment and looked behind her back at the sulking griffin, before finally leaving.

“Well, why are you still here?” Gallus said to her in a rather rude tone. “You’ve checked me over, you can clearly see there’s nothing wrong with me.”

“Your physical condition is fine, ‘tis true, but it’s plain as day that you’re all blue,” the zebra answered, and Gallus could only groan after hearing her rhyme. “I’m here to help, so I sent her away, to make sure there won’t be a hearsay. So please, explain, what is really causing you pain?”

“I doubt you hearing what I have to say will make things better,” he pushed away.

“It might be for naught, but perhaps it might alleviate a knot.”

He couldn’t believe she just said that. “Fine,” he groaned. “It’s not like it can get any worse. For a while now, ever since it became clear that my time at Twilight’s School of Friendship was about to come to an end I began to realize that I would have to find something to do. All my friends already did so, but me… I just don’t know what I’m supposed to do. And Grandpa Gruff knew about it. And when we were trapped at the bottom of the Abysmal Abyss, the Anger that was trapped within it took over us and made us say things. But even so…” he paused, “the truth is that he was absolutely right. I’m an orphan, a nobody. And I can’t find my place in the world. I just…” He buried his face in his claws. “I just don’t know what I’m supposed to do…”

The truth was out. Not even to his friends did he tell how really deep his problem was and how the elder only made it worse. He doubted that even the zebra had an answer to his problem. She laughed. Not a chuckle, a suppressed grin, or a snort – a genuine laugh that would indicate amusement. Gallus looked at her in disbelief.

“Fret not, young griffin, do not mistake,” she finally stopped. “I wasn’t laughing from the amusement of your ache. Truth be told, you’re not the only one, my apprentice had a similar problem, hay, just like my sun.”

“Wait what…” the griffin stopped her. “That didn’t make sense with what you just said… What “sun”?” He watched Zecora turn to the side and shake her rear end. “Oh… that one.”

“But let me assure you: Quite often your destiny is trapped in a fog, trying to look for it alone can get you stuck, like in a bog. I was in such a place, long ago. Only with the help of another, I could grow.”


The young zebra could finally feel the dirt under her hooves again. After being on the trail for about a week, trudging through the desert, she was finally back in the home region just as the sun was beginning to set. Her delight was shared by those that accompanied her father, stallions, carrying loads of cargo they had brought along from the Kingdom of Mansa in order to supply themselves with what their home couldn’t provide, and after being away from their spouses, they were all too eager to be home again. Just as they came through the threshold of the settlement, they noticed a commotion by one of the houses.

One of the villagers noticed their approach. “Ah, High shaman, you’re back! Just in time too!”

“Please do not shout, and explain what this gaggle is about,” Zecora’s father spoke.

“Our harvest’s been collected faster than usual, and it was more bountiful than last time as well.”

Zecora recalled, as they passed the fields earlier, that they seemed barer than when they departed. “Oh yeah, I did notice.”

“She’s organized and managed the harvest. By the end, it became clear she had an epiphany. Grandmother Zeg'us is dealing with her as we speak.”

“Who?”

But before she got an answer, her father pushed past her through the crowd and to the front, where he stopped. His offspring joined his side just in time, as an elderly zebra came out of the house.

“Mada?”

As the head stallion and mare came face to face with one another, the former trot to her side and they touched heads for a few moments to greet each other. “She’s found her place, and is prepared to play her part in the tribe,” the Tribal Matron declared.

“Who?” the younger one kept asking.

The cover of the house flapped open and the zebra in question walked out in the open. Sanaa stood still with a solemn expression on her face, and then promptly turned to the side and flashed her rear end in the crowd’s direction. Zecora saw something that wasn’t there before - a symbol of a fern, printed on her flank. The shaman walked closer to his offspring and stroke her mane in approval.

“I want one!” the little zebra quickly declared and was about to rush into the house, only to be grabbed by her tail by her older sister.

“No, you’re not, kid,” her older sister taunted.

“Oh come on! It’s not fair!”

The older female pulled her back and shoved her in the direction of the home as her spouse departed. “You’ll be given your own print once you’ve had an epiphany,” she said.

“What’s an epiphany?” she asked, not knowing the word.

“A sudden realization… of a great truth.”


Zecora was preparing to lie to bed, emptying her bag. But there was something that was hidden inside, something that she’s been quiet about. A tiny purple ball with big teal glistening eyes poked out of it.

Purri!

She came close to it and nuzzled it. “Hello, little friend. I hope you’re doing okay. I’m sorry, I had to keep you in the bag this whole time, but fada probably wouldn’t have approved of me taking an unknown creature home.” She stroked it. “You’re so cute and adorable, and you hardly take up any space. You’ll be much better off here than in a city.”

Purri!

She was surprised. There was another sound but it clearly wasn’t from the creature she was interacting with. A moment later, another tiny ball with big eyes appeared, only it was yellow.

“What…? Where did you come from?” She looked at the first one. “When did you bring friends along?”

Purri!

Purri!

And just like that, two more balls popped up, one green and another of pink.

“How…how did you all get into my bag?”

“Zecora?”

She suddenly heard an elderly voice coming from outside, and she quickly tossed the bag on the bed and threw the cover over it, just as her mother entered.

“Zecora, who were you talking to?”

“Nothing, mada,” she lied, “just… pests, that’s all.”

The child turned away, trying to feign ignorance as the mare approached her and placed her hoof on her. “I know you’re glum from what was said earlier but do not despair, child. Your time will come eventually.” She gave her a peck on the head to say goodnight and then left.

The younger zebra sighed in relief, then pulled up the cover, and the four round beings she hid under were already fast asleep on her pillow at this point. “We’re gonna have a talk in the morning about sneaking your friends with me without telling me,” she told them, even though she knew they couldn’t hear her. “And then I’m going to find you a nice place where you can be safe.” And with that, she lay in her bed next to the creatures and fell asleep.


“AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!”

The wake-up call was not a friendly one. Whatever that shriek was it was soon accompanied by a multitude of other panicking voices, rousing the young zebra from her slumber. She opened her eyes and lying next to her head were the four cute round creatures. And the fifth. And the sixth. Zecora suddenly shot up and looked about. There weren’t just six of these things, there were several dozen all over her house, flying about, bumping into things, and tipping them over. She was confused about where they all came from. She watched one of them finish eating a piece of bread and it began acting as if it was about to get sick. Not a moment later it regurgitated a slimy green ball, which then began to move, and soon after, it sprouted a set of wings and legs and opened its large eyes. It became terrifyingly clear to Zecora where so many of them came from: She remembered feeding the single one she had in her pack only little scraps while she was still on the way, and that was the reason it didn’t multiply immediately, but now… A realization came over her, and she dreaded to confirm it, yet she still walked over to the window and looked outside.

It was just as she feared: They were everywhere – an entire swarm of these innocent-looking creatures was spread across the entire village below. She left the house to inspect things further and discovered that it was even worse up close. The populace was running about in panic, screaming, trying to get the pests away from whatever they were interfering with, especially as they were gobbling up anything edible in sight and just kept on multiplying.

“They’re eating everything!” one of the villagers screamed. “Somebody, stop these things!”

KRAKK!

Thunder clapped from above, halting the panic in the village, but it didn’t stop the swarm from its feeding frenzy. Not that it mattered, as moments later a powerful gust of wind kicked up, pulling through the settlement, through every nook and cranny, picking every single sprite and dragging them out of the village and casting them far out into the desert. Calm finally fell, and the villagers spotted a blue glow on the hill where the sole hut stood, its owner sitting outside, power radiating out of him, his spouse by his side. They all cheered that their leader had purged the devouring pests, but that wouldn’t last long, for as the High shaman descended below, the damage was evaluated.

“High shaman, it’s horrible! Those pests have eaten nearly everything in the village! Including the rich harvest that we collected yesterday! There’s hardly anything left!”

“What were those things? Where did they come from?”

Those were just a few of the things that were said by the locals. Soon though, the leader came before them.

“I think I know of this malevolence. In the Kingdom of Mansa, in the city of Musa, the king, and his men have purged a pestilence. Of how it followed us home, I do not know.”

But his offspring did. And she couldn’t say it, not in front of the entire village.

“Okay, everybody, calm down!” the elder sibling stepped in. “Let’s not lose our heads over this yet. Let us go and see what we have left and what can be done about it!”


The villagers went about their duty to make sure anything was saved. So did the High shaman’s significant other, who returned to their home and went on to see what was left. By the end it became apparent that there wasn’t much, the swarm had eaten almost everything. As for the youngest one, guilt was beginning to get the better of her. There was nobody else around and she could only confine to her.

“Mada…?” she came in through the doorway.

“What is it, dear?” the elder one answered, not quite paying attention, but before she could hear what the child had to say, her eldest walked in. “How does it look, Sanaa?”

“Not good, I fear, mom,” she said. “We’ve checked the granary and those pests ate nearly everything. It’s barely enough left to feed the village for a day or two. The seeds were the only things they haven’t managed to devour, so we could try to plant the fields again.”

But her mother shook her head. “If only it were that easy… We’re about to run out of water, and it’s not enough to water the fields. Your father was planning to take another trip to the kelpie’s realm soon after he got home, but now that we hardly have any food left there’s no way we can go and collect it.”

“Oh… That explains it.”

“What does?”

“As soon as we realized how bad things are he left,” the daughter explained. “I think he went to talk to the spirits.”

“We can only hope that they hear his plea.”

“Why don’t we just collect the water from the oasis?” Zecora suggested.

The moment she did, the two older mares looked at her, the eldest one giving her a grim expression. “You know full well why not. And it’s a good thing your father isn’t here, he might raise his voice at you for even entertaining such a notion. Whatever darkness lies beneath the oasis must not be disturbed. Do you understand?” The youngest one nodded to her. “Now, what was it that you wanted?”

“N-nothing, mada,” Zecora said and trotted out of the house.

She was absolutely terrified. She was about to confess her crime to her mother hoping to rid herself of guilt, but now that the full extent of the damage her actions have caused became known, there was no way she could confess. What was the whole village going to do to her for that? All she could do was just keep quiet and hope that things improve swiftly.


They didn’t. Days passed and the situation in the village only kept growing, as people were forced to ration what little they had left. The only form of nourishment that was left was the dried-up grasslands of the savannah, and the dried grass only temporarily halted hunger. The sounds of growling stomachs could be heard throughout the settlement, and the form of activity came to a halt as the residents tried to conserve and not waste energy. All their hopes were now solely pinned on the High shaman; an act that the longer it took, the more Zecora began to abhor. Every day she would secretly follow her father to the location where she first saw him perform the ritual, but unlike that time, the elder zebra simply sat in the center of multiple circles and murmured while holding his staff. That’s all he did for several hours, before returning home. It frustrated her – there was water and edible greenery in the blooming valley just below the ledge where he sat, and yet he refused to acknowledge its existence, instead simply waiting and hoping that the natural forces of Farasi would heed his call, which they obviously didn’t. Why would he stay passive while his people suffered? She’s seen the extent of the power he was able to draw, so why couldn’t he just FORCE the elements to assist them? And that made her ask questions that she never asked herself about her home.

“Good evening all, I again return at horizon’s fall,” he said as he entered the hut.

He and his mate nuzzled and sat down beside the rest of the mares for dinner. A wooden plate was filled with a handful of fino cereal and dried grass, it became a standard after a long time. But even so, some were not satisfied with it.

“I hate dried grass,” the youngest complained.

“I know, dear, but it’s the best we’ve got,” her mother reminded her.

“Yeah,” the elder sibling added, “we’re lucky we at least have that in abundance.”

“I want some tasty millet,” she resumed. “The ones we’ve had when we were with camel caravan were delicious.”

“That’s because that grain is from the Musa kingdom,” the parent answered. “If you would want to have it brought here.”

“And why isn’t it?” she imposed a question. “Why do camel caravans go to other kingdoms, but our tribe gets ignored?”

The two adults looked at each other for a moment, but then the younger mare intervened. “Because the camel caravans only go to kingdoms that have something to offer to one another. It’s not like we have anything to offer in turn.”

“Well, it’s still not fair!” Zecora stomped. “All of my friends do not seem to suffer from any form of attrition in their homeland, yet we have to constantly be in fear that we don’t end up starving!”

“Hey! Listen up, kid! We’ve never had problems with that, or at least I can’t remember ever being on the verge of starvation like we are today!”

“Sanaa, enough,” their father interjected. “No need to fight against little one’s rebuff.” He turned his gaze to the youngest. “The greater forces have always kept us well fed, keeping us with baskets full of bread.”

“And where are those “greater forces” now, fada?” Zecora continued to complain. “It’s been days since the incident. You’ve been going back and forth regularly and your call still hasn’t been answered. Our village won’t survive like this for long.”

“I do not blame you, little one, it’s true – the elements have not yet answered, perhaps somebody else is in the queue. But until then we have to persevere, even if our position seems quite severe.”

“Why?!” she finally got upset to the point where she became determined to finally put him on the spot. “Why do we have to live in such a harsh place and be at mercy to our surroundings?! I’ve seen the power you’re able to wield! If you wanted you could’ve turned this barren land into a garden where we would never go hungry or thirsty-!”

“AND I WOULD VIOLATE THE LAW OF NATURE, AND I WOULD NEVER BE HEARD AGAIN!” the High shaman rose to full height and raised his voice. Not once before has Zecora seen her father act like this. All the times she’s done something wrong he would just laugh it up, whether or not he was aware of her doing. This… was different. There was a noticeable thunder in his voice, and what was more… he wasn’t rhyming.

“You understand nothing. Nothing of what’s at the heart of the power that I wield. These powers are granted to me because I ask, with respect in my heart, willing to give something in return. I request only the barest needs for my people, and in return, I thank these powers, knowing that they are borrowed, not bought or taken. They come to me because they chose to, not because I demand! These are not servants that are made to do my bidding, Zecora! They are powerful entities that were ancient when this land was young! Mansa Musa would never-!”

CLOP!

He went quiet, his gaze drifting to his spouse who caused the loud stomp.

“No, Khari," she called her husband by his name, shaking her head. "She’s not ready yet.”

After a moment, the stallion sat down, returning to his calm demeanor. “Enough of this reprimand. I don’t expect you to understand.”

It was clear that he wanted to dissolve the tension, but for Zecora they’ve already gone past that point. She sneered, making a noise of repressed anger, and stomped out of the house. Outside she fumed, angry that her father was determined not to do anything to change things. She was beginning to understand Wadi’s abrasive attitude towards her mother. But there was a difference between them: While Wadi was unable to change her position of being bound to water, she wasn’t. And if her father refused to do anything, then she will.


That night, as everybody was fast asleep, Zecora rose out of her bed and made her way to the underground closet where “certain ingredients” were kept. She picked them up, stole her father’s staff, and made her way to the oasis, to the ritual site where the shaman was on a daily basis. Upon the circles on the ground, she started adding other reagents from her bag: She poured flakes of ice from a small gourd, a saucer filled with water, she lit a fire and put one in the circle, and another outside of the other one by a rock to cast a shadow. The only one that was missing now was the lightning, which Zecora did not have at hand, so the only sensible thing would be to try and call for it.

She started to mumble gibberish, not knowing what words her father used for the chant, and after a while, it became clear that it wasn’t working. “Listen, I don’t know how to make this work, but my people need help!” she yelled into the sky but got no response. “Look, this isn’t funny! My fada may be willing to wait, but I can’t! My people are starving! Help us!” Once again, she was met with silence. “HELP! I COMMAND YOU TO HELP US!!!”

By the end, it was clear that there would be no answer from higher powers, as the fire had already died down and the ice melted. She tossed the staff against the ground and screamed at the top of her lungs, angrily bucking in the air until she eventually tired out and lay on the ground. She was angry – angry at her father for being passive, angry at the higher powers that didn't answer, but most importantly… she was angry at herself. She was the one responsible for things ending up the way they did, whether in ignorance or not, her actions have brought suffering to her entire village and she was powerless to change it. The anger eventually turned to sorrow, and she began to cry in despair.

Come…

She stopped. Was she hearing things?

Come…

The first time, she may have just been imagining, but the second time could not have been a coincidence.

Come…

The voice, it was calling out to her. There was nobody in sight, but she could tell where it was coming from. She looked into the valley beneath her where the great baobab towered. THERE! That’s where it was coming from. She went around the ledge to descend into the oasis beneath the ritual site. This was the first time that she entered the land that her parents specifically said never to venture into. She didn’t think it was terrifying previously, yet now, in the dead of night, it was full of horror, as the growth formed nightmarish shapes in the dim light, coupled with a voice calling out to her.

Come…

The young zebra halted. She stood at the very base of the giant dead baobab tree that towered over the oasis, and in front of it, a pair of stone slabs stood against it. It puzzled her why there would be a door in a tree, but it was certain that it hadn’t been opened in a long time, as it was covered in vines, and furthermore, the voice was coming from the other side. She bit through the overgrowth and struggled to open the giant stone door, budging it only enough for her to squeeze through. The tree was hollow – no wonder that it was dead, but something was still inside, the tone of its voice growing louder.

Come…

She entered a great hall, and quickly noticed that it suddenly got really chilly inside, but if it wasn’t how else would’ve been ensured that a pillar of ice didn’t melt? It stood in the center, surrounded by a large pool of glowing green substance. She slowly descended the slope, trying to find where the voice was.

Come closer…

She suddenly spotted an orange glow, a tiny speck of light inside the icy pillar. Was this where it was coming from?

“Hello? Did you call for me?” she asked.

“Yes… Your cry of desperation… Could be heard…” the voice spoke.

“You…? You heard me?”

“Your pain… It is not unknown to us…”

“Can you please help me?” she pleaded.

“Free us… Break the ice, and let us taste the lifeblood again…”

She entered the green pool and approached the pillar of ice. She bucked it, and it shook. That wasn’t good enough! She bucked it again, repeatedly, for several minutes before it became apparent that she was finally making a dent.

CRACK!

On the verge of exhaustion and with a final hit, the ice finally cracked open, creating a hole through which a small orange gemstone rolled out and splashed into the pool beneath her. Suddenly, the surroundings shook, and cracks in the wall began to form. Water erupted and began to flood the ground; the zebra quickly ran to a higher elevation. Things went quiet soon after and she stopped, thinking it was over, but it has only just begun: Water suddenly came to life, and it thrust forward, in Zecora’s direction, past her, and towards the exit, yet when it finally reached it, the water dissolved.

“So… his descendants ensured that we would be locked here for eternity?” the sorrowful voice spoke. “Then we will work around it.”

A shadowy mist suddenly began to surge from the pool, like liquid, filling the room. Zecora was about to make a run for it, but her way was cut off, she was trapped! There was only one thing she could do now. She quickly rummaged through the bag and pulled out a piece of white chalk, and quickly drew a circle around herself. And not a moment too soon, as the shadow mist quickly reached her and was repelled by the circle’s border. Yet the shadow kept overflowing, eventually making everything around her pitch black.

And then, the voice returned. “Why are you resisting us? We’re only trying to help you, just as you asked us.”

“How?!” the young zebra questioned. “How can you help me? If you’re some sort of good spirit, why were you locked away?”

“Mansa Musa and his companions locked us away,” it explained. “They found us dangerous, we shared our pain, and it was too much for them to bare. We wanted to share it with all the land and make them understand. But only you do…”

“How can you possibly help me?” she inquired.

“The land and its people will be consumed by a tidal wave of despair.”

“Wait, wait! How will that help my tribe?”

“Misery loves company - once everybody is as miserable as you, you will no longer feel like the world was unjust to you.”

“No… no, no, that’s not what I wanted! I was just frustrated that all my friends and people outside of my tribe live in a better place, I didn’t want them to suffer as well!” she refused.

“You no longer have a choice in this matter, Zecora. You released us, now you will accept us. It is the only way we can all leave this place.” The darkness began to press down on her, the magical white circle that the zebra erected was the only thing that was keeping her safe, but it was unsure how long it would last against such immeasurable force. “Accept us… Only then can we help you... Refuse… And you will be all alone in the end.”

The sinister force that she had unleashed… was too much for her. She collapsed on the ground and began to cry. She brought this upon herself, and now there was nobody that could save her. All of a sudden, light erupted through the enveloping darkness and everything went white.


She regained her consciousness, feeling herself wobbling back and forth, realizing she was being carried. The stars once again covered the sky as her sight readjusted, before finally being dropped to the ground.

She looked about and finally saw her savior, who stared into the distance, at the place where she was rescued from. “Fada?” He didn’t react to her acknowledgment, although she knew why, considering all she’s done. “Fada, you were right! About everything! I never should’ve gone against you! It’s my fault that thing has been unleashed! I-!”

“It would be an understatement to say that I’m displeased,” he interrupted her as he spoke. “But the thought of losing my little girl had left me uneased.” He turned to face her. “If I had failed to protect what I most cherished… Then any sense of love and duty I had… would have perished.” There was a tone of sorrow in his voice, almost as if he had just lost something. “My little foal, for you I would’ve given up all, to protect you from the fall.”

She jumped on her hooves and ran at him, wrapping them around him while burying her face in his chest, sobbing loudly. “Fada, I’m sorry!” she pleaded. “I’m really, really sorry!” The elder zebra put his own hooves around her to embrace her.

After cradling her for some time she finally went quiet, giving him a chance to speak. “And such is the duty with which we’re tasked: To give hope to others without being asked. To those around, close or not, protect them from being distraught.”

As the two kept sitting in an embrace, the first rays of light began to peak over the distant horizon, illuminating the land. Zecora finally raised her head and saw her father’s face: Enveloped in the morning beam he looked so… adamant, he was somebody who she knew could comfort people in difficult times… Just like he has through this entire time, people didn’t lose faith, knowing that he would deliver them. He was… like a sun that broke through the dark.

And then it became clear to her. “Fada?” The stallion glanced at her. “I think I finally have what mada said I needed."

The high shaman smiled.


“Wow…” Gallus reacted when the story ended. “And here I thought I had problems… No, wait! I still do! Your story didn’t help at all!”

Zecora sighed. “This is the point I’m trying to make: Sometimes, only with the help of another can your purpose awake.”

“That’s nice and all, but I don’t really know anyone who could help in my position.”

“Or perhaps the right one already knows your pain, and you should instead try to ask him for your purpose to obtain,” she nudged him.

He suddenly realized what she was hinting at, and he didn't like the thought one bit. “Wait… you’re asking me to talk to Grandpa Gruff? Are you nuts?!”

“If your relationship has already reached the bottom end, how could you possibly further offend?”

He really didn’t know how to respond to that other than admitting to himself that the zebra had a point. He really didn’t have anything to lose at this point.


“Ember!” Spike called out, as did his elder sibling.

The Princess and her right hand walked among the charred ruins of the city, the smaller one holding an umbrella while the big one generated a source of light, trying to find the Dragon Lord, and it didn’t take them long. She was sitting out in the rain, on a pile of rocky rubble, staring at the scorched crater with a despondent expression.


They all stood there, unmoving in the rain. The Father of Monsters stood before them, and behind him, the arimaspi towered over everybody, holding a yellow orb, in which one of their friends was trapped, completely at his mercy.

“Let Ember go!” Spike ordered.

There was a moment of silence, some of the little dragon’s friends questioning whether he was brave or foolish to try and demand things from somebody who was superior in terms of power. The old ram turned and looked at the prisoner, pondering for a moment.

“You’ve heard them, Paramis. Return what is theirs.”

The goat monster glanced at the orb, let out a huff, and then rolled it on the ground in the direction of the colorful equines. They caught the orb, halting it in its track, and soon after the prison disappeared.

“Ember, are you okay?” the orange pony inquired, to which she only nodded.

The hostage was freed, but the danger was still present, as the grizzled ram and his servant stood there, seemingly just waiting. The alicorn decided to take the chance while he hasn’t turned hostile yet.

She stepped in front of everybody. “What have you done with Tirek, Grogar?”

“I saved him,” he answered. “In fact, I saved all of you. Had the boy managed to get through with what he had in mind, the only thing that would’ve been left of the tree we’re standing on, would be a smoldering crater. It’s a good thing he’s predictable, so I anticipated what he would’ve done if I told him where to find Anger’s artifact.”

“Wait… you knew this whole time that Anger was trapped inside the Idol of Boreas?”

He shook his head. “I didn’t.” Then nodded in the direction of his minion. “He did.”

The arimaspi began grunting, speaking incomprehensible words that none could understand… Except…

“I felt it. It was like a fire, not that of the sun, but rather a scorching ravaging fire that could destroy the world. I knew it was there, and I wanted to keep it until my Lord returned.”

Everybody turned their heads to the side, in the direction of the one who just translated what it said. “Fluttershy, darling, you can understand what that beast is saying?”

“Yes, why couldn’t I?”

The sorcerer chuckled. “I must say, I’m surprised. There aren’t many who can understand what Paramis is saying. As you can see, though, even in my absence he’s remained loyal to me.”

“As if!” a voice jumped in, coming from the fanny pack that hung around the shy mare, its resident poking the tip of his eyes out of the opening. “The only reason that he’s dancing to your tune is because you twisted him in the same way that you twisted everybody else.”

The arimaspi roared in response, speaking in gibberish again.

“How dare you, worm,” the yellow pegasus translated, letting out a little gasp at the sound of the creature belittling the draconequus. “Lord Grogar has no control over me. What I do, I do of my own free will.”

“Wait, what? That thing’s not under his control?” Sandbar tilted his head. “Why is he following him then?”

Once again Grogar chuckled. “I don’t expect any of you to understand loyalty, considering who you allow to come along.” He nodded at the former Lord of Chaos.

“EXCUUUUUUSE ME?” the Element of Loyalty responded. “What the hay am I?!”

“Rainbow Dash, enough,” Twilight got her friend to simmer down, before turning her attention to her opponent. “Grogar, I have to ask something. Why did you save him? Why save any of us? Anger’s already been released, why protect Tirek and not just let the whole tree burn down along with the rest of us?”

“So, you want a reason for my “generosity”?” the grizzled ram said in a way that made the white unicorn feel uncomfortable. “I could just say I was doing it out of the kindness of my heart, but we all know you wouldn’t believe me. Truth is, he still has a role to play, just as the other two had, each of their respective Pillars of Turmoil. And besides…” he chuckled, “The weak do not get to choose how they meet their end.”

Ember quickly raised her head in his direction. What he just said – it struck a nerve for her.

“Then I have one more question,” Twilight continued. “Why did you send Gusty to the Dragon Lands? What was she planning to accomplish there?”

There was silence for quite a while, the sheep’s expression remaining passive. Then, the Father of Monsters began to cackle, and it kept growing louder.

“Grogar, tell me! Why was Gusty in Dragon Lands?!” she repeated.

But she would receive no answer. The ram’s horns began to glow in dark light, and behind him, a portal opened, large enough for his companion.

“Come, Paramis,” Grogar said. “He’s waiting for us - he has been for a very long time.”

The arimaspi grunted, turned, and disappeared through the portal. He was leaving? The blue dragon was not just going to let this sit. She lept out of everybody’s embrace and flew in the direction of the dark sorcerer. He saw her coming, yet didn’t bother to put up any resistance. All he did was smirk at her, and made a few steps, vanishing into the portal, which then promptly dispersed, just as the Dragon Lord got to it, failing to grab onto anything and sliding against the ground for a short distance. When it all passed, Ember got up on her knees, remaining silent for a moment, and then let out a bellow of anger, hitting her fists against the ground in frustration.


Weak. That’s what was going through her mind. She recalled far back, what seemed like a distant past to her, how she was viewed as weak due to her size and frame, despite being the daughter of the Dragon Lord. Without Spike’s help she never would’ve stood a chance in getting the bloodstone scepter before other dragons, heck, she could’ve drowned if it wasn’t for him. It was all thanks to help from another that she was able to attain her father’s position of power… And now, her shortcomings were beginning to exude. She was too weak to pacify Chrysalis on her own, and then she was too weak to go up against both Grogar and his pet. She tried really hard, and in the end, she couldn’t do anything to help her father. She just felt so… helpless.

“Ember?”

Her senses finally became aware of her surroundings, as the bright light illuminated her, and she realized that the raindrops stopped, blocked by an umbrella that a small purple dragon was holding up over her head.

“Ember, is everything alright?” he repeated.

She regarded him. “Alright? Oh sure, Spike. I mean, other than that the only creature that could break the spell under which she put my dad escaped, it’s all FINE!”

“I’m sorry, Ember,” Twilight leaned in.

“No,” she refuted. “The only one’s fault here is mine.”

“Ember I know you wanted to get Chrysalis, but we’ve been outplayed. First by her, and then by Grogar.”

“And you’ve heard what he said: “The weak do not get to choose how they meet their end.” And he was right. We survived only because HE chose so… Same as Chrysalis.”

“Ember, don’t be discouraged,” the alicorn tried to lighten her up. “I know how bleak things are, but you'll get over it. You’re the Dragon Lord, remember?”

“And I’m wondering if I should’ve been in the first place…”

“Wait, what? Ember, what are you saying?” the purple dragon asked in confusion.

“Spike… Way back when we participated in the Gauntlet of Fire, we managed to succeed by helping one another,” she elaborated. “We… no, you managed to get the bloodstone scepter because of that. Compare to either of us, all other dragons were bigger and stronger. Any of them could’ve gotten it on their own. My dad designed the gauntlet for a big strong dragon to beat. I would’ve drowned at the start were it not for you. Without my help, you would’ve been trampled by all other dragons, especially Garble. We managed to get the scepter only because we worked together, but apart…”

“Ember, I don’t follow. What are you trying to say?”

“We’re weak, Spike!” she erupted. “That may not mean much to you since you’re so small, but me…!” She went quiet. “Dad wanted a big strong dragon like himself to take his place. I wanted to prove I could be just as good as him if not better without being either… And look what’s happened. If I was strong, he wouldn’t be… what he is now…”

She curled up, wrapping her tail around her and draping herself in her own wings, burying her face in her crossed arms. She was just too ashamed of herself for being weak in the face of adversity. Was this how Dragon Lord Obsidian felt?

“Ember.” Spike placed his claw on her arm. “I know all too well how it feels to be completely helpless. And I know it doesn’t mean much at this point but… I’m here for you.”

The purple dragon was caught off guard, as the blue one reached out, scooped him off the ground, and pulled him into an embrace. This was the first time she’s ever done it voluntarily, and she hugged him tight. Then a snorting noise followed, it changed into a repressed wheeze, and then a really ugly-sounding sob.

“It’s okay,” Spike encouraged her. “Just let it all out. I won’t think any less of you, Ember.”

She pulled back from the embrace, the look on her face completely normal. “Spike, I’m not making that sound.”

“Where is it coming from then?” Twilight wondered, looking about, only to spot a single light somewhere further in the town’s ruins.


A light ran through the dark and stormy night. The elder griffin had a lamp strapped on the top of his fez while holding an umbrella in another, he wasn’t going to let the elements stop him from his mission. He descended into the charred ruins of his town and began looking about. He had to find the last place where the centaur was before the eruption, that’s where the prize he sought was. It didn’t take him long to find it, as the deep scorch marks were quite visible, and he made it to the center of it. He began clawing through the burnt wood and mash of wet ash, he couldn’t stop, he had to find it, his mind would not be at peace until he found the object of his desire; he wouldn’t be denied again.

CLANK!

He hit something metallic with his claws. His heart rate sped up, he knew this was it! He clawed further to dig out the object… and after he did, his heart sank. He found the Idol of Boreas, or at least what was left of it – a broken golden frame. He just stared at it, unmoving.


He was motionless, he couldn’t move a muscle. Before him stood the founder of his kingdom, single-handedly protecting everybody from the blazing destruction. The fire eventually died and calm followed, replaced by the falling rain. He finally managed to crawl closer to him, and he took notice.

“King Grover… I promise to you, I swear, I’ll get the Idol of Boreas back to its rightful place… Griffinstone will be restored to the glory that you bestowed upon us…”

The image of the griffin king gently smiled. “Gruff, you have always been so loyal, clinging to what made this kingdom great. But I fear that time has now long since passed.” He turned fully to face him. “You will see Griffinstone restored again, Gruff… But it’s time for you to move on…”

And with a flash of light, the image of the first griffin king disappeared, and the only thing left in its vicinity was a jar full of grey matter, which the zebra promptly scooped up.


“Grandpa Gruff?”

He was roused from his daze, knowing the voice all too well.

“Grandpa Gruff, everybody’s looking for you.”

“Oh lovely. And let me guess, they told you to bring me back, didn’t they, Gallus?”

“No. I went to look for you myself. I wanted to talk.”

“Oh, this should be entertaining,” he said in a sarcastic tone. “What is it?”

Gallus had a hard time trying to put words together. “Look, I’m not going to hold it against you for what you said back in the Abysmal Abyss. I get it, we weren’t thinking straight because of Anger, and we both said things that were out of line.”

“No, not really. My words may have been harsh, but I meant what I said.”

“Wait… You mean you really meant when you said that I’m nothing? A nobody?!”

“Yes. And you’ve no idea how lucky you are.”

“What?! Grandpa Gruff, you’re not making any sense! How am I lucky to be a nobody?”

“Because I used to be somebody, boy. I was once a royal guard, tasked with the charge to protect the embodiment of our people’s unity, as well as its king. I failed. And for that failure I had to endure decades of watching how our kingdom declined, becoming a worthless shell of its former self. You’re a nobody! There’s nothing that’s binding you here! You can go out there and make a name, a reputation, anything out of yourself! That’s why I pushed you away! You can move on from the pain of being an orphan, but I can’t move on from the pain of knowing that I failed in my task of preserving our kingdom! And now… Griffinstone is no more… just like the artifact responsible for its foundation…” He shoved the broken artifact to him. “The spirit of King Grover said to move on, but how can I move on when the tree from which our history grew just burned down to nothing?”

The silence surrounding them was only broken by the sound of the raindrops, and it lasted a while, as the elder griffin sat in the dirt with an emotionless look on his face, while the younger one simply stood by. Gallus just wanted to leave before it became awkward, but he had to force himself.

“Grandpa Gruff, can you explain something to me?” he set up a question.

“What?” he bluntly responded.

“What was it like to be a royal guard?”

Surprised, he raised his head. “Where did that question come from?”

“No no, it’s fine,” he repulsed. “I get that you don’t wanna talk about what was it like to serve as the guardian of what made the kingdom great.” He baited him into it, he knew he wouldn’t waste the opportunity to brag about “the good old times”.

“To be a royal guard…” he reminisced, “it meant being a part of something greater than oneself, to be a living armor that protects the heart of the Griffin Kingdom. There wasn’t a griffin around that wouldn’t give a claw or a leg to be a part of something greater than themselves. They wanted to bask in the glory, in the radiance of the artifact and its king. It meant that through you, the realm would endure for decades until somebody else comes along to pick up the mantle that you left behind…” Gallus could see a spark of life on the old griffin’s face, the joy that remembering it brought him. “That’s why I clung to it. Even as I watched over the decades how our once glorious city devolved into a pile of refuse, I kept clinging to hope that someday, hope would return. And now… that hope is finally gone for good… and so is the future of Griffinstone..."

“Come on, Grandpa Gruff, that’s not true. A city can be rebuilt; even without the Idol it will be made from the ground up…”

“By friendship you mean?” he said in a tone of deep doubt. “Can you see friendship in a physical form?”

“Well, yeah, you see it with people interacting…”

“Can you hold it, touch it, worship it, guard it?” he piled up things one after another, overwhelming the young one. “Our kingdom lasted for so long because it had something to stand behind. Even the ponies had Princess Celestia, she ruled over their realm for a thousand years and it remained intact. Friendship is a concept, and they rarely stand the test of time. Tell me, Gallus: Does friendship have a physical form?”

And he went silent. He may have actually had a point, and he had no answer to it, especially regarding Princess Celestia…

And at that moment, when he repeated that name, it finally dawned on him, the realization setting up shivers all over his body. “Yes. Yes, it does. Friendship DOES have a face, Grandpa Gruff! It’s Princess Twilight Sparkle! She’s the physical embodiment of friendship! She founded the School of Friendship! She and her friends are the Elements of Harmony! She’s the reason why Griffinstone started turning better, and that’s not gonna change even if our town is in ashes now!” He finally calmed himself down. “I think I finally have it, Grandpa Gruff.”

“Oh yes?” he said in a tone that sounded rather unsure.

“I do. And I promise you: You will see Griffinstone restored someday, and I’ll be there to make sure it happens.”

The half-blind griffin turned away, seemingly losing interest, returning to brood over his misfortune. Gallus saw it, he wanted to depart but stopped himself. There was still one last thing he had to do.

He approached his guardian from behind and wrapped his arms around him in an embrace. “I know I never had anything nice to say to you about anything, Grandpa Gruff, but…” He paused momentarily. “Thanks.”

He suddenly felt shaking. He thought for a moment there was an earthquake, but he quickly realized that it was the old griffin. There was a snorting noise, it changed into a wheeze, and then it finally turned into a really ugly-sounding sob which he was trying to suppress, failing miserably. Gallus couldn’t think whether he found it funny or gross, but pulling away or laughing simply wouldn’t be appropriate. And so, he just sat there, beside his guardian who was overcome with strong emotion, as the storm clouds slowly began to part and the sun finally began to peek over the mountain peaks, announcing a brand-new dawn.

PreviousChapters Next