• Published 3rd Sep 2012
  • 1,925 Views, 10 Comments

Child of Silver - WilliamShakeshoof



Percy Jackson/Pony crossover story. The usually virginal moon goddess Luna has a foal!

  • ...
5
 10
 1,925

Chapter 4: Orion Returns


Luna looked at the beautiful foal in her hooves, wrapped up in a silvery blanket, as silver as the moon. She didn't want her hunters to find out. At least, not yet.

Within a few moments, she reached the small stable; on the edge it was in complete coverage of the trees. If anyone knew how best to protect her son, it would be her.

She approached the doorsteps. The light coming from the windows provided the only illumination, but the goddess of night did not need it; she could easily see through the dark. She arrived at the foot of the door and was about to knock on it when it swung open, revealing an young mare behind it.

"You sensed me coming?" she asked.

"Yes, I still have not forgot the old ways,"with a smile. "It's been a long time, Lady Luna."

"Yes, Samantha it would seem that way," Luna answered looking up and down at the mare. She looked like a normal mare in her late teens. Her long blonde mane fell all the way to her waist, and her blue eyes still held the brilliance that they always had. She was still beautiful as well, but she had not changed much from the filly Luna used to know as one of her hunters.

"Please come in," the mare said, moving away from the door frame to allowed the goddess entry. Luna trotted pass her into the house. From outside the stable, it did not seem that impressive to her; it was only two stories tall, rectangular and well proportioned but that was it. But on the inside was not what she had expected; the room was large and bright, the south wall had been replaced with glass, revealing behind a small porch that spread to a wide lawn. A staircase dominated the east side of the room; the walls, the high ceiling, the wooden floor and the thick carpets complemented the room well making it look even more impressive. Samantha always had excellent taste.

"You seem to be doing well, all on your own." Luna's voice broke the short silence.

"Well, it has not been easy, but I manage."

"I see."

"I was surprised to hear from you again, my Lady."

Samantha watched the goddess with sad eyes. "I thought that after everything that happened you would never want to see me again..."

Luna cut her off. "I'm in need of your service Samantha," she said, turning around to face her. "I spared your life, and now I need your help."

"My Lady..."

Luna Artemis cut her off again. "I'm not here to harm you Samantha."

Samantha relaxed. "What do you need from me then, my Lady?" she asked the goddess, who in return remained silent. She looked down. For the first time Samantha noticed the small bundle Luna was carrying in her hooves.

"I need you to look after something for me," she said in a low voice, as if she were afraid someone else might be listening.

Luna took a step toward Samantha extending her hooves to give the bundle to Samantha. She hesitated for a second then took it from her. Samantha carefully proceeded to remove the blanket that was wrapped around the object, only to reveal a sleeping foal inside.

Her eyes opened in shock at the sight of it. "My Lady, is this foal yours?" Samantha tentatively asked.

"Yes, Samantha you are holding my very own foal."

Samantha could not believe what she just heard. "But my lady have you…?" She was forced to hold the statement she was about to make as Luna shot her an angry look daring her to finish that sentence.

"I have not broken my oath Samantha. I am a maiden, and I'll always be one."

"But then how did you...?"

"The birth of this foal is a long and complicated story," Luna explained. "Promise me that you will look after him as if he were your very own," Luna said with a bit of sadness at the very end. "You're the only one I can entrust him to."

Samantha had her eyes glued at the small infant the whole time the goddess had spoken. Then it hit her. Him. She turned to face the goddess " It's a colt."

"Yes," Luna responded with a sad smile on her face. Then her expression turned serious "Will you do it?"

Samantha kept quiet for a moment. Then she nodded her head at the small goddess who sighed in relief. "Yes my Lady, I'll raise him as if he were my own."

"Thank you."

Luna turned to look at the glass doors; she noticed the sky beginning to brighten at the sign of uncoming dawn. Narrowing her eyes she said, "I have to go now." Then she turned to Samantha and trotted to her. She stopped and placed a small kiss on the foal's cheek. Then turned to the door and turned toward the west, her wings outstretched.

"My Lady?" Samantha stopped her as she was about to exit the house. "What is his name?"

Without turning Luna answered, "Its Orion." With that she flew away. Samantha watched her, but within a few moments the goddess was gone. She trotted walked back inside the house and closed the door. She felt the foal staring to move in her hooves; she brought it up to her face and whispered to him. "It's ok. Everything is going to be just fine. I will protect you. I promise."

Samantha laid Orion in the crib that had appeared just as suddenly as the nursery in a vacant room. "Thank you, my lady."

Rocking, the crib, Samantha began to sing an old lullaby. Far away it was echoed by Luna as well.