• Published 6th Feb 2021
  • 1,412 Views, 59 Comments

What Could've Been - Centurion Pike-Wall



Praetor Rainbow Dash is called to investigate a mysterious magical spike off the coast. At the same time, somewhere completely different, Luster Dawn miscasts a high-level spell.

  • ...
3
 59
 1,412

8~Conflict of Views

"So, you two go sometimes, including today, to TEA", the Praetor asked, an eyebrow raised in incredulity. "With FLUTTERSHY and DISCORD?"

"I mean, I was a bit skeptical at first", Rainbow said, adjusting her scarf. "But, well, it's always good to hang out with Fluttershy. Especially since, between our jobs and our families, we don't get to just sit down and talk that much anymore."

The Praetor considered this, leaning back a bit in the seat. She examined the plate of oatmeal in front of her, lightly prodding it with her spoon. She sighed, before taking a small bite and returning to prodding the mass of food. "I see."

Applejack returned to the dining room, her own bowl of oatmeal held in one of her hooves. "Is somethin' wrong?"

"Well, to be frank, yes", the Praetor said, putting down her spoon and folding her talons over her chest. "Your Rainbow Dash asked me to come with you to your little... get together at Fluttershy's residence."

"Oh", Applejack said, sitting down. "Well, what's the issue?"

As the Praetor opened her mouth to speak, Rainbow Dash cut her off, "Let me guess. Discord?"

"That is an issue, yes", the Praetor said, giving Applejack a small glance out of the corner of her natural eye.

Applejack simply shrugged. "Heh, ah can get it. Ah didn't really like 'im that much at first either. But, after a decent amount 'a time-and a lotta screw-ups on 'is part-he ain't that bad of a guy."

"This may be an anecdote, but I somewhat beg to differ", the Praetor said.

Rainbow Dash said, "Aw, come on. It'll be fine. It's really not that bad. Besides, it might do you some good to relax a bit more. I mean, heck; we started doing this because I was overstressed with paperwork and stuff."

"I have plenty of things that I do in order to relax", the Praetor countered.

"Name um", Applejack said.

"Flying", the Praetor began, folding out her talons as she did so. "Combat training, the Baths, a day at the Ludi, mind-blowing se-"

"Ok, ok. We get it", Rainbow Dash said.

"Hey, she asked", the Praetor said.

Applejack said, "Ah suppose ah did. Anyhow, there ain't no harm in it."

"Yeah. Come on. You'll enjoy it", Rainbow Dash said.

"I am dubious of these claims", the Praetor said, giving a lazy gesture with one of her talons. She looked down at the talon for a brief moment, remembering how exactly she came to obtain it. She traced the line of fault that she had created for herself, with the fault, in her mind, falling on her former friends, especially Fluttershy. However, reasoning came through; said reasoning being that the Fluttershy that she was being offered to meet with again was not the same one that had betrayed her. As she didn't really want to tell them what had happened to her, she couldn't really reveal the answer that would leave them questioning. Besides, it would be a bit rude. "But, I will at least attend."

+++++~+++++

The three of them arrived at Fluttershy's cottage, the Praetor scanning it subtly. She hadn't really bothered to go to Fluttershy's cottage when she was last in Ponyville. However, it had barely appeared to have changed since before her exile. The only notable difference was the small stream running down across the front of the lawn; a stream of chocolate milk.

"For a Chaotic, Discord really has a reliable shtick, doesn't he?", the Praetor asked.

Applejack chuckled, replying, "Yeah, ah suppose that's true."

The three of them went up the stairs, Rainbow knocking on the door. A few seconds later, Fluttershy opened the door, a wide smile on her face. "Oh, glad to see you."

Discord folded out from above the door, hanging upside down being almost muzzle-to-muzzle to the Praetor. "Indeed. I can't say I anticipated you coming."

"I really didn't either", the Praetor said. "But, as it stands, I have nothing better to do."

He twisted around, before landing on the doorframe in front of the other three mares. "Well then! Come on in!"

The three of them entered, with the Praetor once again scanning the interior. Again, almost nothing had changed from the last time she was inside: a quick check-up with Tank a day or so before they went to Canterlot.

Discord swirled a table around and set it down, before snapping his fingers. Several bean bag chairs materialized around them, a glowing cutie mark on four of them. Rainbow Dash squinted at one of them; a winged helmet. She asked, "Wait, what? You have a different cutie mark?"

"Yes", the Praetor said. "Although how Discord knew this, I don't know."

"And you shall not", Discord said, giggling.

The Praetor snorted, before taking a seat. She shifted around a little bit, getting comfortable, before turning to Fluttershy on her right. Her eyes widened and then narrowed as she spotted a small foal held in her hooves. "Who is...?"

"Oh, this is my daughter Enigma", Fluttershy said, shifting around a little bit to show her off better to the Praetor. She had her mothers coat and wings, with a striped dark grey and pink mane. Her major features, however, were that of her father. A pair of horns, one deer and one draconic; a long, draconic tail with a pink and grey tuft; paws on her front left and rear right legs, as well as a draconic talon on her front right instead of hooves. She smiled and babbled at the Praetor, her almost kaleidoscope-colored sparkling with joy.

"I... I see", the Praetor said, giving the foal a slight glance.

Discord reappeared, his upside-down eyes glaring into hers. "Is there something wrong?"

"I suppose that I am merely... surprised by the fact that you are still free, let alone having a child with... Fluttershy, of all ponies", the Praetor said, careful to not draw Applejacks attention.

"Oh, don't worry about that", Discord said, materializing on his own beanbag next to Fluttershy. "I've been-"

"Reformed. Yes, I've been briefed on the subject", the Praetor said. "It is still unusual, giving the usual circumstances with which you are mentioned in Pryha."

"What would that be?", Fluttershy asked.

The Praetor said, "That of him being an Archdemon. They very antithesis of the Pryhan faith."

"My, my", he said. "And here I thought merely being called a villain or something akin to that every now-and-again when me and Flutterbuns go out was going a bit overboard."

"To be fair, I only know about the incident I was privy to", the Praetor said. "However, if Applejack and the others are correct, then you were involved in other circumstances of... less than honorable actions."

"Yes, well, no one is perfect", Discord said.

Applejack cleared her throat. "Well, anyhow. How's it been goin' wit' you two?"

"Oh, it's been fine", Fluttershy said. "We're planning on a trip to visit my parents soon. I want Enigma to meet her cousin."

"So Zeph had a kid, eh?", the Praetor asked. "For all I know, he does for me. I just never cared enough to find out."

"Yeah", Rainbow Dash said. "Thrush. Cute kid, if a bit odd."

"Heh", the Praetor grunted, grabbing one of the teacups that had appeared in front of them. "So, how'd the lazy sh-... lazy slacker take it? You being with the Unwavering Maelstrom, I mean?" When all eyes fell on her, she slumped down and gave each a half-lidded stare. "It's a Pryhan title for Discord."

"Oh, well", Fluttershy said, giving a bottle of milk to Enigma. "At first, he was mostly upset out the Tirek incident, but-"

"I'm sorry, the what?", the Praetor asked.

"Oh, uh....", Discord said, rubbing his hands together. "It was when I... helped Tire steal the magic of roughly two-thousand ponies."

The Praetor spewed the tea that had entered her mouth, staining the tea set in the center of the table. All eyes once again fell on her, as she looked at Discord with a look of utter shock. "You did WHAT!?"

"Not one of my proudest moments, I'll admit", Discord said.

The Praetor sputtered, "Not one of your- No fucking shit! I mean, why are you not in a fucking prison, if not executed?"

"Well, the Princesses gave me a second chance", Discord said.

The Praetor sighed, rubbing her temple. "Incredible. So, not only are you some sort of weird... thing. You're also a technical traitor."

"Well, I never", Discord said. "And you've never done anything-"

"As a matter of fact, I have", the Praetor said. "However, I don't want to say some of the fucked up things I've done."

"Why?", Fluttershy asked, placing a hoof on the Praetors arm. "It's ok if you don't wanna talk about, but-"

The Praetor yanked her arm away, fixing her with a death glare. "I don't want to talk about it, because of two reasons. 1, it is the kind of shit that will make your softbreed blood turn into butter. 2, because what I went through is, with the exception of Twilight and myself, all of your faults." She pushed her teacup away from her, before standing up and adjusting her collar. "Now, if you will excuse me; I'm going to go hit something out in the Everfree before I end up hitting something in here." And with those words, she marched past the rest of them, slamming the door behind her, the only sign of her presence a few seconds later being the ringing echo of the door.