• Published 6th Feb 2021
  • 1,412 Views, 59 Comments

What Could've Been - Centurion Pike-Wall



Praetor Rainbow Dash is called to investigate a mysterious magical spike off the coast. At the same time, somewhere completely different, Luster Dawn miscasts a high-level spell.

  • ...
3
 59
 1,412

7~Relations

The Praetor groaned, her eyes opening up to give her a blurry view of an unadorned wooden ceiling. She sighed, sitting up in the bed. She rolled over onto her side, lifting her stumps over to the nightstand... that wasn't there. She muttered, "Right", before peeking down over the side of the bed. Sure enough, her prosthetic forelegs were leaned up against the wall, the flat ends linked to her connectors facing up to her.

"Of all the stupid...", she said, before leaning down off the side of the bed. She tried to shift her stump as best she could in order to fit into the groove on the outer part of the flat. She managed to bring it up to be right with the prosthetic, only for it to fall past her and slam flat on the floor. "Damocles brass balls."

She leaned down a bit further, trying to reach the other one, when she heard a light knock on the door. "Ma'am?", the deep voice of Big Mac asked. "Ya awake?"

"Yeah", the Praetor said. "Can you give me some help with this?"

He opened the door, before stopping in the frame. "Uh...?"

The Praetor sighed, before saying, "I don't sleep in my prosthetics; chafes like you wouldn't believe. Normally, I have a stand that holds them up so I can do this without help, but... Yeah, a little help?"

"Eeyup", he said, coming up to her. He grabbed the one still propped on the wall, angling it so she could have access to it. She slid her stump in, rotating the interlocking indents on both of them to lock the prosthetic in place.

"Gratias", she said, leaning down and grabbing the other one. "I can take care of the other one and my eye."

"No problem", he said. "Wah are ya up?"

"Force of habit", she said, locking the other forelimb in place and climbing out of bed. "Beyond Pryhans simply waking up earlier on average, I'm used to doing a morning workout before I do anything major. Clears my head and wakes me up better than coffee." She slid her eye in, blinking a few times as the ambient magic interconnected with her nervous system. "Need it, since Pryha doesn't have coffee", she muttered.

"What?", Big Mac asked, turning to leave.

The Praetor said, "Nothing. Anyway, I'm gonna go for a fly."

"Breakfast is in two hours", Big Mac said simply, leaving her room and closing the door behind her.

+++++~+++++

After getting dress, pulling back her hair, and going for a fly around Sweet Apple Acres, she touched down right in front of the Apple Family house again. The sun had risen fully during her flight, her internal clock telling her that it was about 8-ish. She opened the door to the smell of pancakes and hashbrowns, which was certainly one of the food groups that she missed having.

Much of the Apple family had gathered around the table eagerly, chatting about various topics. Rainbow Dash spotted her, patting the seat next to her. As the Praetor sat down, RD said, "Hey, listen. I've got to go deal with a new patch of the 'Bolts today. Ya wanna come?"

"You're affiliated with the Wonderbolts?", the Praetor asked.

"Yeah", Rainbow Dash said, pride in her voice. "First Lieutenant! Spitfire ain't givin' up the Captain post so easily, but I'm still up there. What, you don't have relations with the Wonderbolts?"

"No, I do", the Praetor said. "My eldest is good friends with the daughter of my timelines Spitfire. However, like much-"

"It ain't worth it bein' so far away?", Applejack questioned, coming in followed by Sugar Belle, both mares carrying a big plate full of flapjacks.

"Correct", the Praetor said, sliding a few onto her plate. "I'd like a closer relationship with the Wonderbolts; on a military level, if nothing else."

"What'd'ya mean?", Sugar Belle asked.

The Praetor explained, "The Imperial Army is mainly a ground-based force; either infantry or naval-wise. We only have one taskforce of airships, and a sprinkling of griffins among the Velite contingents in each Regiment. I've made an official proposal for a dedicated flyer unit in the Imperial Army. Hasn't gotten past the bureaucrats yet."

"Sounds mighty intrestin'", Applejack said.

"Indeed", the Praetor said, taking a big bite of pancake. "Needless to say, Ms. Dash; I will be joining you."

+++++~+++++

"Everything looks in order", the Praetor said as the two touched down outside the main HQ of the Wonderbolts. The pair of guards at the entrance looked confused at the sight of her, yet stepped aside when Rainbow Dash took the lead. The two wound through the corridor, finally coming to a large office similar to her own.

"Captain Spitfire!", Rainbow Dash said, snapping to salute. "Lieutenant Rainbow Dash, reporting for duty."

"Hey, Crash", Spitfire said, looking up from a pile of papers. She cocked her head slightly, lowering her sunglasses to get a look at the Praetor. "Who's that with you?"

The Praetor snapped her hindlegs together, bringing her arm up and slamming it into her shoulder. "Praetor Rainbow Dash, 14th Regiment, Pryhan Imperial Army."

Spitfire looked at Rainbow Dash, her head cocked even more to the side. "Magic incident?"

"Magic Incident", Rainbow replied, as if it were a common enough occurrence.

"Well then", Spitfire said, standing up. "Judging by the armor, you've got some familiarity with the chain of command and instruction?"

"Yep", the Praetor said, lowering her claw and cracking her neck. "Who needs breaking in?"

"Fresh batch of cadets", Spitfire said, a wicked smile on her lips. "A few who are re-trying for a posting, and a few newcomers. Haven't seen as poor a batch since the group just after Princess Twilight's coronation."

"Alright then", the Praetor said. "Where are they, how many, and do I have any additional personnel at my disposal?"

"Barracks. We're renovating the mess, so they have to eat there for the time being. Total of 10", Spitfire said.

Rainbow Dash asked, "Uh, normally I just do it myself with equipment. What do you need other creatures for?"

"Fetch and retrieve", the Praetor said, much to the confusion of the other two mares. "Pryhan drill doesn't need too much. Just mock equipment, the uniform/armor, march packs, and, in this case... 700 hundred and twenty-five pounds of rocks."

+++++~+++++

*KRA-KOOOOM!*

"Out, you fucking Maggots! Surprise inspection!"

A massive bunch of various creatures spilled out of the barracks, practically falling over one another. Most were pegasi of both genders and a wide variety of colors, although she spotted a hippogryph and a pair of griffons as well. They came to a stop just outside the door, forming a loose line across from her.

As they came to a stop, they seemed to notice that it was not the Officer they were expecting. The Praetor grinned, sliding the pistol back into its holster and unslinging a sheathed sword. She stepped forward, walking across the line, using the sword to adjust their position. After she walked completely parallel to the line, she let out a loud sigh. "Well, I have to say. I am disappointed."

One of the griffins asked, "Uh... who are-"

"You will speak when spoken to, Cadet", the Praetor said, not looking back at her. "As for who I am? Well, I have been brought in to give you all a proper introduction to the Wonderbolts Academy. Congratulations; you have somehow managed to convince the admittance staff that you aren't the slime that you clearly are."

When none of them spoke up in reply, the Praetor turned and stood in front of them. "Now, I will admit I have seen worse soldiers... in the unit's dogs. However, that is not to say that you have no potential. Follow orders, try to outshine whatever pitiful skills you may possess, and you maybe; just maybe, have a shot at making it into the Wonderbolts." She scanned their eyes, registering the faint hope or pride in them. She said, "So, how about we give you all a proper first warm-up."

She looked over, spotting a pair of Wonderbolt auxiliary personnel carrying a cloud between them. Resting on the cloud were several saddlebags, along with a small bucket. They set the cloud down next to her, before flying off. "Each of you. Take one."

They all walked forward grabbing the straps of the bags. Almost all of them dropped them due to the weight, the rest barely able to hold them aloft. "What is in these? Rocks?", one of the stallions asked.

"Yes, actually", the Praetor said, earning all eyes on her. She pressed the slide of one of them open with her sword pommel, revealing the lumpy bits of stone. "70 pounds of them, to be specific. You are to make three laps around the exterior of the base within one hour. If you fail, you will make another two laps, and have final access to hot water tonight."

The cadets looked amongst themselves, before one of them raised a hoof. "Um, how exactly does this-"

She cut the mare off by reaching into the bucket, revealing another rock. She made her way over to them, before sliding the rock into the saddlebag. "Builds up muscle mass", the Praetor said, ignoring the shocked looks of the cadets. "If you can make the laps with the pack, then you can make it faster or more without them. Now, MOVE!"

The cadets didn't waste any more time, sliding off the packs and taking off. As soon as all of them were out of sight, Spitfire and Rainbow Dash came up to her. "Damn", Spitfire said.

Rainbow Dash nodded in agreement. "That was... hardcore."

The Praetor chuckled, before handing a slip of paper to Rainbow Dash. "Here's a list containing the number of rocks in each pack. If they don't have the number in the packs when they get back, add an extra one and make them do another lap."

"What are you gonna do?", Rainbow Dash asked.

Spitfire said, "Well, while you were off rounding up a few of the other staff, the Praetor here mentioned a few things that caught my attention. We're going to go talk about it; you're gonna handle things from here."

"Yes, ma'am!", Rainbow Dash said.

The two other pegasi walked along the runway, leaving Rainbow Dash behind them. After they were a suitable distance away, Spitfire turned her head to the Praetor. A small, inquisitive look was on her face, and her eyes were firm yet interested. "So", she asked. "Me and Lightning Dust, eh?"