• Published 6th Feb 2021
  • 1,412 Views, 59 Comments

What Could've Been - Centurion Pike-Wall



Praetor Rainbow Dash is called to investigate a mysterious magical spike off the coast. At the same time, somewhere completely different, Luster Dawn miscasts a high-level spell.

  • ...
3
 59
 1,412

6~Digging in

The Praetor soared over Ponyville, scanning the crisscrossing the town like she was on a mission. The whole thing reminded her of the last time she was there, albeit in proper condition instead of broken down and abandoned. Ponies and other creatures moved back and forth through the streets, like a thread woven through a tapestry. She sighed, a decent bit of nostalgia working its way up through her brain.

She really did miss Ponyville, and the various ponies there. Sugarcube Corner had been a nice place to grab a quick sugar-boost after a workout. Her trips to the Ponyville Day Spa to unwind. Thunderlane, lazy as he was and the fact he was married to Rarity, was a cool guy. Derpy, despite her clumsiness, was one of her oldest friends beside Fluttershy. Basically the entire Weather Team had been nice and, while not really friends, had a professional relationship.

Below her, the ground turned from the paved road and matrix of buildings into the dirt roads and open fields of the farmland outside Ponyville. Soon, she specifically came over the rows of green and red-spotted trees; Sweet Apple Acres.

Finally, she saw the cluster of buildings like the heart of an organism. She spread her wings, catching a greater degree of the incoming wind and slowing her speed. A few hundred feet over the ground, she dove down and tucked in her wings, gaining speed. At the last minute, she opened back up her wings, the wind causing her to stop. Her legs moved rapidly, bring her to a stop as the last of the momentum from her descent stalled out.

"Woah", a voice with a thick accent said behind her. Turning, she saw a dark purple colt with a blonde mane staring at her, mouth open and a half-eaten apple next to him.

The Praetor snickered, standing up to her full height. It felt good to perform for a crowd again. "Hey, Kid. How's it goin'?"

"G-good", he said. "Uh... who're you? Whah do ya look like mah Aunt Dash?"

"I'm...", the Praetor said, considering what to tell him. "I'm... an associate of her. Do you know where she is?"

"She hasn't come back from Canterlot yet", the colt said.

The Praetor nodded. "Alright then. I'll-"

"Oh, hey!", she heard another voice call out. Turning, she saw Rainbow Dash and Applejack heading towards her. The Speaker, Applejack, nodded to the colt, who in turn smiled and ran over to her. "Hey, Jammie! How're ya doin'?"

"Ah'm doin' good, Aunt AJ", he said.

"That's sweet, kid", Rainbow Dash said. She turned to her counterpart, a warm smile on her face. She looked... at peace. "So, what are you doing here?"

"The Princeps and Ms. Starlight said that the process of working through the spell will take upwards of a week", the Praetor said, instinctively clicking her rear hooves together. "It was suggested that I stay here with my counterpart. Al-la, you."

The three of them stared at her, Rainbow Dash in particular with a bit of confusion. The Praetor realized what they were confused about, before relaxing. "Sorry. Force of habit. With the Provincial head in the city my troops are stationed in, I have to give a lot of reports."

"Right", Applejack said. "Anyway, ah don't see a problem with ya stayin' here fer a few days."

"Perfect", the Praetor said. "If you can show me to where I'd be staying, that would be greatly appreciated."

"Right this way", Applejack said, swinging her foreleg towards the house. The Praetor followed her closely, already undoing the strap of her helmet. She had slung it under her wing by the time they reached the porch, stepping into the front room while her free wing undid her cloak and hung it up on a free hook.

"Big Mac! Sugar Belle!", Applejack called. "Get out another plate an' seat! We got a guest!"

A light-colored unicorn came out of the kitchen, a friendly smile on her face. "Oh, who is it..." She froze as her eyes fell on the heavily scarred mare, her mouth opening to reply.

The Praetor rose a talon before she could say anything. "It is a long story, Mulier. If it were at all possible, I'd prefer to explain over dinner. In the meantime, I'd like to find a safe place to store my weapons and powder."

+++++~+++++

"Well, ah suppose it ain't the weirdest thing that's happened in Ponyville", Apple Bloom said, before taking another bite of her stew.

The Praetor shrugged, swallowing a bite of her own. "Given what I've heard from my Scootaloo, I'd say that would be an accurate assessment."

She adjusted her wing slightly, trying to avoid bumping into either Big Mac on her right or his son, Apple Jam, on her left. The others were all crowded around a somewhat small table in the dining room, including the recently arrived Apple Bloom and her finance, Tender Taps. A big, steaming pot of stew sat in between all of them, fresh servings being ladled out by Sugar Belle on request.

"So, you're a soldier?", Big Mac questioned.

The Praetor said, "Praetor, to be specific. But, yes; I am a member of the Pryhan Imperial Army."

"Well, that's interesting, I guess", Sugar Belle said. "I mean, are there any other differences between here and where you come from?"

"Well, for starters", the Praetor said, flicking her head in the direction of Big Mac. "Big Macintosh here is married to Zecora."

"Really?", Rainbow Dash asked. "Zecora?"

"Yep", the Praetor said. "Beyond that, I don't live in Equestria, obviously. I'm also straight. Applejack is with Prince Blueblood-"

The orange mare did a spit take at that, broth and chunks of diced apple slamming into the side of the pot. "Yeah, my thoughts exactly when I first heard. But, apparently you worked some sense into him, and he's no longer a jerk." She took another bite of the stew, a small smile on her lips. "Scales of the Gods, it's been too long since I've had anything from the Apple Family."

"Really?", Sugar Belle asked. "I'd imagine that you'd still enjoy the Cider and whatnot."

"Don't think I could ever give that up?", Rainbow Dash said, lifting a mug of it.

The Praetor shrugged. "Well, it's expensive and somewhat complicated to import, so it's rather expensive. Plus, the Empire doesn't really have apples, so I can't-"

She cut herself off as she noticed all eyes on her. Sugar Belle and Tender Taps were the best, only having a mildly confused look to her. Everypony else, including Apple Jam, had on looks of sheer, unfiltered horror. "NO APPLES!?", they yelled almost simultaneously.

"Whah not!? They're delicious!!"

"That don't make a bloomin' bit a sense. Everyone loves Apples!"

"Eeyup!"

"But... Cider..."

"May I speak?", the Praetor said. The tone of her voice, combined with the subtle flaring of her eye's rune, caused everyone who was speaking to go silent. "Now, I know that you all love Apples. But, for Pryhans; they just don't like it. Apples never really caught on. So, as much as I would like to, getting a shipment for just me is really something I don't feel like spending too much script on."

"Still", Applejack said.

The Praetor sighed. "I think that would be enough." Eager to change the subject, she turned to Apple Bloom. "So, my worlds Apple Bloom has a different Cutie Mark. Mind telling me how you got yours?"

"And, we'll be here for an hour", Rainbow Dash said as Apple Bloom began to speak.