• Published 6th Feb 2021
  • 1,411 Views, 59 Comments

What Could've Been - Centurion Pike-Wall



Praetor Rainbow Dash is called to investigate a mysterious magical spike off the coast. At the same time, somewhere completely different, Luster Dawn miscasts a high-level spell.

  • ...
3
 59
 1,411

5~The School

The small group of them soon left Ponyville behind, following a recently paved road out of town. Soon, they were in sight of a massive structure, situated on a small cliff. It reminded the Praetor of an old ruin she had slept in back when she was a courier. A pair of purple towers sticking out of a big, round-about structure with a waterfall running down the front.

As they headed across a small bridge leading up to the front of the school, the Praetor said, "Impressive. Very impressive."

"Thank you", Princess Twilight said. "I'm quite proud of it. You told me that your Twilight has her own school?"

"Nothing like this, from what I've seen", the Praetor said. "But, yes. She's opened up a high school in Ponyville, and started an exchange program with other nations in the Coalition."

"Well, ah hope it goes well fer 'er", Applejack said.

Twilight said, "Agreed. Oh, this brings back so many memories."

Twilight opened the door with her magic, revealing a wide corridor. Crystalline pillars ran along either side, with a few busts in between them of famous ponies that the Praetor vaguely recognized. A few creatures milled through the halls, heading into a few classrooms that were evident from the front entrance.

"Starlight's office is in the back", the Princess said. "Come on."

Twilight once again lead the group, winding through the various corridors towards the back of the school. As they walked around, they ran into a certain blue unicorn in a purple and star-speckled suit. "Ah, Princess", Trixie said, smirking. "To what do we owe the pleasure?"

"Hi Trixie", Twilight said. "Is Starlight in? I need to talk to her about an... issue."

"Is it something Trixie can aid with?", Trixie asked. "No sense bothering her if it's just a budget issue or something."

"Not quite that", the Praetor said, stepped around the alicorn to get a better look at this version of Trixie.

Trixie's eyes bugged out at the sight of her, especially when she noticed another Rainbow Dash flying just behind Twilight. "Trixie will take you to Starlight right away."

Trixie joined Twilight at the head of the small group, continuing their weaving through the halls of the school. Pinkie asked, "So, if you're from another world-"

"I'm... not sure that's how it works, Pinkie", Rainbow Dash said.

Pinkie ignored her, continuing, "Then what happens to Trixie there!?"

"Trixie will admit", Trixie cut in, looking over her shoulder. "That Trixie is curious about this situation, if what the Princess says is true."

"Ok", the Praetor said. "After the incident with the Alicorn Amulet, your little 'Apology Tour' didn't pan out. Broke and reputation shot, you immigrated to Pryha after the Changeling War. Still in the show business, and ended up married to my 2iC."

"Two... I see?", Rainbow Dash asked, causing the Praetor to deadpan.

"Second in Command", the Praetor said. "Aeterna Vexillum. Fine soldier. Although I do have an issue with some of your kids."

"What did Trixie's children do?", Trixie asked. "Are they as amazing as Trixie in the art of stagecraft?"

"One of 'um is decent", the Praetor said. "One wants to be a chef. One likes making stuff; whittling, stone napping, basic metal work, things like that. The last one falls under the Vexillum tradition of going into the army. All of them are pains in the neck to deal with, especially around my daughter."

"My my", Trixie said, a smile on her face. "I had no idea that Trixie would have so many children so soon after one another, if they are all such an issue for your daughter."

"Oh, that's not the case", the Praetor said matter-of-factly. "They're quadruplets."

Every one of them ground to a halt, eyes wide and limbs stiff. Trixie turned back, her face full of shock and pure horror. "I had... quadruplets?", she said, her voice hoarse.

The Praetor chuckled. "All colts, too."

Spike asked, "Um... how did she...?"

"A mix of Pryhan medical science, and the famed Vexillum family virility", the Praetor said, smirking.

Trixie just stared at the Praetor, absolutely gobsmacked. She cleared her throat, pointing to a door against the wall, about halfway down the corridor. "Starlight's office is there. Trixie... must go... Trixie will be going." The mare pushed past them, trotting off as fast as possible without starting to run.

Twilight nodded. "Right", she said, turning back to the door. "Let's go. I want to... get that thought out of my head."

They made the short walk to the door, Twilight knocking with her magic. "Coming!", a voice called from inside. The door was opened by a light pink mare with a purple and mint-green mane, wearing a blazer and skirt. "Oh, Twilight! Good to see you!"

"You too, Starlight", Twilight said, smiling. "I... need to talk to you about something."

"What is it?", Starlight asked.

Twilight stepped to the side, revealing the Praetor to Starlight. She cocked her head, before her eyes drifted over to the hovering Rainbow Dash. Her eyes widened, before she turned back to Twilight. "Um... Just the two of you, please? Big as my office is, I don't think that it would be the best idea to have too many inside."

"Alright", Twilight said, before turning to the others. "Would you mind?"

"Of course not, Twi!", Pinkie said. "Come on. I'll whip us up something!"

The others turned to leave, chatting amongst themselves. The Praetor straightened up, before following Twilight into the rather spacious office. It reminded her of her own back in Creui, if lacking in military paraphernalia and posters. Starlight sat down behind her desk, grabbing a mug of coffee in her magic and taking a deep breath. "So", she said. "What exactly happened?"

+++++~+++++

Following the explanation, Starlight turned to the Praetor. Her eyes shown with sadness, as well as something akin to regret. "I'm... sorry about all of this. It's... kinda my fault", she said, taking the old crumbled parchment in her magic.

"How so?", the Praetor asked.

Starlight said, "This is a spell I used. During the... incident, it must've been thrown into the timestream. Our luck that it ended up here. Was probably just brought in with the other magic manuscripts that you sent us."

"That was my theory too", Twilight said. "Anyway, can you try and work the spell again?"

"That's the thing, Twilight", Starlight said. "The way I used the spell, it was just going back along the stream of our timeline. My actions spilt off into new ones, but the base was always our timeline. In her case, it was from an existing separate one. And due to the number, it's not an issue of getting the spell to work; the problem is finding her exact one."

"In laycolt terms?", the Praetor cut in.

Starlight said, "We can use the spell, but it will take time to find your exact timeline."

"Give me an estimate", the Praetor said.

Starlight tilted her head back and forth, seeming to run the numbers through her head. "Give or take... a week? Two tops."

The Praetor sighed, rubbing her temples. "Well then. I've waited longer for things...", she said, looking up at Twilight. "If you would provide me with boarding, that would be appreciated.

"You can stay with our Rainbow Dash at Sweet Apple Acres", Twilight suggested.

The Praetor grit her teeth. She had gone through all the effort to avoid her former friends, and now she was more-or-less forced into close contact with them. But... these weren't her former friends, right? Her thoughts fought a series of skirmishes in her head, before one side submitted. "Very well. I would like to thank you for your assistance, Ms. Starlight."

"Oh, no problem", Starlight said, before she tapped her chin. "You know... can I ask you something?"

"Within reason", the Praetor said.

Starlight asked, "Well, do you know what I'm doing in your timeline? Just out of curiosity and all that."

"Hmmm...", the Praetor thought, trying to recall the name Starlight. "What's your full name?"

"Starlight Glimmer", Starlight said.

The name finally pushed itself to the forefront, as well as the events related to it. "Are... are you sure you want to know?"

"K-kinda?", Starlight said, before clearing her throat. "I mean, yes. Yes, I do want to know. Why? Did I do something"

"No. Well, not what you did, but what happened to you", the Praetor said, letting out a breath. "You had an... appointment with the Hang-grifs noose."

"Hang-grifs noose?", Twilight asked.

The Praetor sighed, before deadpanning, "You were executed, Ms. Starlight."

"I was WHAT!?", Starlight cried, her eyes bugging out almost as much as Trixies. "What did I do?"

"Well, you were initially captured for something I don't remember exactly. Something about stealing cutie marks and imprisoning NGR military personnel."

Starlight winced, while Twilight looked somber. "But, she was executed for that?", Twilight asked.

"No, not for that", the Praetor said. "She was hung for the killing of twenty guards in an attempted escape." Starlight stared at her desk, her eyes shut. "Well... if it's any consolation, you were hung. Not, you know... crucified."

"Crucified?", Twilight questioned, cocking her head. "What's that?"

The Praetor opened her mouth to reply, before recalling something. "Oh yeah. That's a Pryhan invention. You don't wanna know."

"I kinda do", Twilight said.

"Ok, but I don't wanna tell you", the Praetor said, standing up. "Now, if I'm not needed for now, I will be taking my leave. I hope to see you soon, Princeps. Vale."

Author's Note:

P.S. I know and fully understand that equines normally only have one kid at a time. I just thought this would be funny, and figured this would be a decent place to introduce them before you see them when it gets to that point in Youngblood. Plus, considering the fact that the ponies here can talk and are multi-colored (In addition to the fact that Pinkie Pie is a thing), I think a few biological facts can be thrown out the window.