• Published 21st Dec 2011
  • 4,198 Views, 157 Comments

The Beauty and the Nerd - HattieForest



Twilight and Rarity fall in love, despite being from different worlds.

  • ...
6
 157
 4,198

Love and Tradition

"Decided to come to school, Miss Sparkle?" the teacher wondered. She frowned down at Twilight.

Twilight blinked in confusion, then it hit her. Yesterday was a school day. A school day that she had missed completely.

"Er...I...uh..." Twilight swallowed. "I'll help clean up the schoolyard today, shall I?"

"And you will also help out with the first graders during your lunch hour. I expect to see you both times for the next week. Understand?"

"Yes, ma'am," Twilight said softly.

Today had started rough, and it looked like it was going to keep going downhill. Each class brought another punishment - mostly papers to write (which actually wasn't a punishment as far as Twilight was concerned, but she wasn't going to say anything about it) and weekend detentions. Lunchtime came around far too slowly.

"Hello!" Pinkie said cheerfully. "Are you in detention? I'm in detention. Detention is fun, don't you think, I mean, we get to stay at the school longer than anypony else!"

"Marvalous," Rarity replied sarcastically. "Simply marvelous."

"At least Fluttershy ain't in trouble," AJ said. "She has a sick note until her leg heals. She needs a tutor, though - "

Twilight snapped her eyes from her sandwich to her friend. "Tutor?"

Twilight shoveled her lunch in, much to the confusion of her table-mates.

"Are you alright, Twilight?" Derpy asked.

"Uh-mmmhm," Twilight said through a muffin. She swallowed. "I'll be back in a jiffy!"

Twilight zipped away from the table. She came back, downed her apple juice, and left.

"That was mine!" AJ hollered after her.

Twilight peeked into the grade one class room her teacher had assigned her to. No teacher?

"I thought you weren't showing up," came a voice. Twilight turned. "Oh, hi... Mrs Doo?" she asked, confused.

"No, no, Miss Doo." The teacher smiled.

"Oh... um..." Twilight caught sight of Miss Doo's flank. "Derpy?"

"No, dear, Ditzy." Miss Doo tilted her head, much like Derpy does. "Do I know you?"

"Um.. no, its just.. wow, its uncanny, you talk and look like a friend of mine - Derpy. She even has the same name as you legally - Ditzy Doo!"

Miss Doo's eyes widened. "Twilight Sparkle!" she gasped.

"Erm... Yes?"

Miss Doo shook her head. "Please, watch the class. I shall be back in about an hour -"

Twilight watched Miss Doo head off. Something fishy was swimming around the airwaves. With a resigned sigh, she slipped into the class. An hour later, it was Mr Clock who showed up to relieve her of her
"detention." Twilight wondered if the teachers knew that all the punishments she had been handed were actually her idea of fun, aside from the grade one class. She laughed to herself as she walked down the hall,
then wondered if her friends had given up waiting for her.

"Snap," she whispered. She had told them she would be back, and on top of that, she didn't tell them she had detention! "Double snap!"

She shook her head. Forget that now. She had a goal. A noble goal! She held her head high and walked into her next class.

"Miss?" she asked. Her homeroom teacher turned to her. "On top of my detentions, may I tutor Fluttershy?"

"You mean your friend that was bullied the other day?"

"Yes, her."

"Well...I don't see why not. But it will make your school day twice as long!"

"I know." Actually, Fluttershy and Twilight studied together often growing up, and they always had it done quickly. "Its just... I feel I'm kinda responsible for it, because I didn't walk with her like I was suppose to -
"

"Oh, Twilight, it wasn't your fault. We'll talk later after school, okay? Right now, we must do class."

"Right." Twilight trotted to her desk. Rarity sat there, looking somewhat sour.

"I'll be back in a jiffy?" she asked hotly.

"Sorry. I forgot I had to watch a grade one class during lunch."

"Ah." Rarity nodded. "I understand." She pouted. "I wish you had told us, though." She brightened. "Today we're making hair accessories!"

Raaandom. Twilight didn't mind.

***

One detention later, Twilight found herself heading home. Today Fluttershy had a tutor, but tomorrow Twilight would begin her role as teacher. Already, her head filled with schedules, lessons, and textbooks that
would help. A quiet glow bloomed inside her, the same glow she had felt when she had taught Rarity.

"Want to walk home with me?" Derpy asked shyly. Pinkie cleared her throat. "Er, us?"

Pinkie nodded happily. "Come on, Twilight! We waited for you and everything! Well, okay, Derpy waited for us, I had detention cleaning the washrooms, like ick, but - why didn't you come back to lunch?"

Twilight laughed. "Yes, I'll walk home with you guys! I didn't come back because I forgot I had a detention."

"Ohhhhh," both Derpy and Pinkie said. Twilight smiled.

"Do either of you need help with school?" she asked cheerfully.

"I have trouble with gym," Derpy said.

"Nope. When I hit a block, I just think of a song - "

"Pinkie?"

"Yes, Twilight?"

"Is there anything you don't sing to?"

"I don't sing in the shower."

"You don't?" This time it was Twilight's turn to unison with Derpy.

"Nope. I'm too busy going over my party plans. That's when I get my ideas - in the shower!"

Twilight listened intently as Pinkie and Derpy chattered away, the topic going from parties, to school, to Fluttershy (Twilight interjected she would be tutoring Shy, and Pinkie wondered aloud if they could make a party out of learning), and when they finally came to Derpy's house, Twilight felt a sadness. All these years she had never given friendship a chance. How foolish, young filly, and how more foolish the young mare!

At least now she was setting it right.

"Good afternoon, Mrs Doo!" Pinkie said cheerfully.

"Mrs Doo," Twilight added.

"Good afternoon, fillies! Oh, where is Fluttershy?"

"She's the one that got hurt, Mother," Derpy replied.

"Oh dear!" Mrs Doo's sighed. "I remember now. I'm so sorry!"

"It's okay, Mother!"

"No one remembers everything all the time!" Twilight broke in.

"Exactly!" Pinkie nodded.

Mrs Doo gave them all a watery smile, and Twilight realised she had tears.

"Derpy, you have such good friends! Don't let them slip away!"

"I won't, Mother." Derpy gave Pinkie and Twilight a small embarressed smile. "See you at school tomorrow?"

"Count on it!" Pinkie said.

"For sure!" Twilight added.

Pinkie hopped along the sidewalk. "You know, Twilight, you can sleepover any time you want. I give that invitation to all my friends, and I realised I hadn't given it to you! I felt soooooo bad, but then I figured we
hadn't really had time to talk alone, right? I get distracted so easily! I think everything deserves a look, don't you? Everything deserves something to love, right?"

"Right." Twilight shook her head, trying to get an image out of her head.

"No?" Pinkie asked.

"Oh, I was just thinking of a mop and broom out on a date."

Pinkie giggled. "They could eat strings of dust with dust bunnies instead of spaghetti and meatballs!"

Twilight burst into laughter. "You're right!"

They came to Pinkie's house. "Well, thank you, Twilight Sparkle!"

"You're welcome," Twilight said, unsure why she was saying you're welcome, or why Pinkie said thank you.

"You want to come in for a tea or something?"

"I'd love to, but my mom is expecting me back - I'm grounded."

"Oh, right.." Pinkie trailed off. "I wish I could get grounded..." she said wistfully. Twilight's heart broke. Where were Pinkie's parents? "Anyway, Twilight, I'll see you tomorrow at school." Pinkie gave Twilight a

quick kiss on the cheek and disappeared into her house.

Twilight couldn't shake the feeling she was missing something important to do with Pinkie. She headed home.

A long walk home did not, unfortunately, do much for her confused state of mind. How did she feel about Rarity? Was that kiss just a kiss? Could they be- she barely dared think it- together, like that? Or was Rarity going to end up hating her? Realizing she let her mind race, Twilight shook her head again, and walked up the lane leading to her house. As she hung her bags in the hallway, she realized thinking was evidently not doing her any good. She needed to talk to somebody. Talk to mum, she would know. Yes, that would do it.

An average youth, one more rebellious, might have hesitated at the thought of asking a parent for advice on a matter such as this, but Twilight- being the reclusive, bookish child she had always been- was anything but rebellious, and she trusted her mother completely. Trotting down the hall to her office, she tapped lightly on Celestia's office door.

“Come in.” Celestia, having been engrossed in paperwork with a weary look on her face, lit up when Twilight walked in. “Twilight! How was school, honey?”

“School was, um. Fine. It was... it was.” Twilight said lamely, sloping down on her haunches.

“Is something wrong, Twilight?” Celestia sounded concerned.

“I need to um. Talk about something. Because thinking doesn't really help and I tried thinking because it seemed logical to reason my way through it but it doesn't help because I am so confused and I don't know what to do and now I am rambling like Pinkie Pie...” Twilight trailed off.

Celestia walked up from her desk, sitting herself down next to Twilight.

“Go on, Twilight. Just tell me what has you this confused.” Celestia nodded in a motherly manner, and put a hoof on Twilight's shoulder.

“Um.” Twilight began, trying to find a way to formulate the cataclysmic events of yesterday's slumber party. “I, uh. I... I kissed a mare. And I liked it.”

Celestia blinked. "Oh?"

"It's, um, it's-" Twilight stuttered, trying to think of what to say, how to tell this-

"You don't have to say who it is. Just tell me as much as you're comfortable with, okay?" Celestia said, nodding understandingly.

"It was... I was at Pinkie's slumber party, and I know I wasn't supposed to go but Aunt Luna told me I should and that she would talk to you and-"

"It's all right, Twilight. Luna explained everything."

"...anyways, I was um, about to go to sleep and for some reason. Um. We ended up kissing. And now I feel all confused."

"Do you like her?"

Twilight blinked, thinking hard. "Yes. As a friend. Or maybe not. I mean, I have been feeling all... weird, and I can't stop thinking about her!"

"It will all work out, Twilight." Celestia said, rubbing Twilight's shoulder. "Maybe it was just a one-time thing, in which case I am sure you are strong enough friends to move past it. If it's not, then good luck."

"It's not... bad?"

"It happens, Twilight. It's fine."

"It's not... weird?"

"Not particularly, no. You're just a teenager; being confused is part of the experience."

"But what if I'm the kind of mare who prefers, um, the company of mares?"

"Then you're a mare who prefers the company of mares. As well as a great student, a wonderful daughter and a great friend. You don't have to worry. You see-"

Suddenly, the office door opened, and a bespectacled colt poked his head in. "Miss mayor? The Concerned Colts for Canterlot Committee is requesting another audience."

Celestia let out an irritated sigh. "Again? How many times do I have to tell those reactionary morons that improved healthcare is GOOD for them?" She looked at Twilight apologetically. "Sorry sweetie, but I have to take this."

"I understand. Thank you anyway, mum-"

"No, this- I hate having to walk away." Celestia sighed. "Go talk to your Aunt. She knows a lot more about this than I do."

"Whuh?"

"I mean, she knows a lot more about being young and not being that interested in colts than I do."

"What do you mean?" Twilight felt puzzled.

"Oh, the wonders of being bright but not smart..." Celestia murmured. "Look, let me put it this way: you know how your Aunt Luna has a lot of lady visitors?"

"You mean..." Twilight's jaw dropped.

"Yes. A lot."

"Really? I had no idea!"

"It's sort of obvious if you know where to look."

"Oh my gosh..." Twilight's eyes widened. "All along? Always? Why didn't she say anything?"

"She is very private about it. I guess we both thought you would figure it out. Oh horseapples- I have to go now." Celestia reluctantly walked out. "Just go talk to Luna! I'll see you later, Twilight. Bye!"

Twilight blinked. On the one hand, talking to Celestia had made things feel better, clearer. On the other hand... Luna liked mares? How could she have been so blind? Shaking her head, she trotted off to Luna's
room- or rather, her own wing of the house.

Twilight hesitated at her aunts door. What to say? What to do?

She glanced outside, through a small window that overlooked a small flower garden Luna kept. It was enclosed by stone walls, with moss growing upon it. There Twilight saw her aunt, fussing over some beautiful
golden flowers.

Twilight backtracked, going around the corner and out the door, entering the flower garden and walking to her aunt.

"Good evening, dear niece." Luna sniffed her flower. "What say you about your ... I believe it is called, "slumber party?"." Her aunt's speech had changed a bit.

"It went well, Auntie Luna, but I'm confused about something... Mum said you could help me?"

Luna gently pushed some flowers to the side, then ripped out a weed. She tossed it into a basket.

"Pray tell."

Now that she had her aunt's full attention, the glaring reality of not having anything concrete to say blared in Twilight's head. She supposed the best course of action would be to repeat what she had told her mother.

"When we had all gone to bed, Rarity and I ended up sharing a mattress...and I'm not sure how it happened, but we... well, we kissed, and I'm so confused. I like her as a friend, but I like her more, but I... oh, my
words are jumbled..." she trailed off miserably.

"Twilight, if you like maidens or not, 'tis completely natural. Sometimes it is a phase - simply exploring what you like or not like - but most of the time it is deeper than that. I'm sure you have noticed there are not
many colts or stallions around."

"True. But how does that affect anything? One likes what one likes because of genetics, not from other things... though, I guess environmental elements might play a part, they don't compete with genetics..."

"Twilight, most ponies do not know, understand or acknowledge that genetics play any part of sexual orientation, and that sexual orientation is not a choice, but something you are born with, as mane color, or your
gender."

Twilight realised her aunt was speaking more modern. She put that thought away for a bit.

Twilight sighed. "So what do I do about Rarity?"

Luna smiled. "Be honest, and take her into consideration as well. No relationship works if it is one sided."

"She said she wants us to think about things. Does that mean I'm going to lose my friend?"

"Perhaps. That will be up to her, unless you decide to let the relationship fall."

Twilight shook her head. "No, I don't. But... what if she wants to end it?"

"Then you must end it. Mayhap try again later."

Twilight shook her head. "No, I don't. But... what if she wants to end it?"

"Then you must end it. Mayhap try again later."

"Can I just ask you one thing, Aunt Luna?"

Luna smiled. “Askest thou away, Twilight. I shall answer any of thine questions to the full extent of my capabilities.” Now that sounded more like her aunt.

“Why... um, why didn't you ever tell me you were a fillyfoo- oh, I didn't mean to-” Twilight blushed, cursing herself for her insensitivity.

“Thou may call me a fillyfooler if thou likest, Twilight.” Luna said, gently stroking Twilight's mane. “Tis simple, short, and I know thou would never say it as a pejorative.”

“Th-thanks. So... why...”

Luna sighed. “Who one doth choose to sleep with is a very... private thing, Twilight. Whether I liked colts or mares, I would keep such a thing private. I care not for being an official pony aside from the political duties expected of a leader; it makes no difference to me.”

Twilight nodded. Luna was, for all her confidence, a little shy. Reclusive, keeping to herself much- Twilight had identified much with that growing up.

“I shall not lie, it is not all privacy.” Luna said, shrugging. “Perhaps if I liked colts, I might make an official appearance or two with him. But as it stands, certain prominent members of our society, some important to politics, frown on same sex relationships. I am the sister of the mayor general and one of her aides; all I do reflect on her.”

“That's not fair!” Twilight's insides felt cold, twisting at her aunt's words. “Don't you want-”

“Twilight dearest, it is not a great sacrifice on my part.” Luna said, smiling solemnly. “I don't even have a special somepony; much less a desire to flaunt any such relationship.”

“But... you should be able to, if you had one...” Twilight trailed off.

"The world is not fair or kind, Twilight. All we can do to amend this is to be fair and kind ourselves, but not enough ponies do. Celestia does much good for our city- this is a small price to pay."

"Did she really ask you to?"

"She would never." Luna shook her head. "She keeps telling me to change mine mind, but I am content."

"But why- why on earth would they mind! What is wrong with people?"

Luna sighed. "For over three hundred years, we have had a population that is two thirds mares. That alone creates reason for there to be plenty of mare and mare relationships, but the people in power are of old,
conservative families, so the values- however absurd- persist. But believe you me, Twilight, things have changed for the better. When I was your age, I would not have dared tell anybody but my sister. When you
are old and grey, I am confident the trouble mongers will be outdated, ignored fools. I have hope, Twilight."

"Oh. That- that's good, at least."

Luna nodded.

"..."

"Thou hast more questions, do thou not?"

"I just uh, I wondered-"

"Fuss not, Twilight. I shall answer."

"Those lady-friends you have visiting sometimes, are they... um, are they..."

"One or two I share opinions, poetry and art with; one or two I share... a mutually beneficent, noncommittal agreement with. That is all you need to know."

"I'm not blind or dumb, you know." Twilight mumbled.

"Given thy surprise, one might wonder." Luna said, smiling.

"Yeah..." Twilight shuffled, wondering what other things she had missed growing up. "I need to talk to our lawyer, too."

"Lawyer?" Luna asked, baffled. "Did something else happen at the - oh, I understand."

"Auntie Luna, you are talking more modern... did somepony make fun of you? You don't need to change."

Luna hugged Twilight. "I know I don't. I have been reading many modern novels, and I wish to integrate more into modern society. But, enough of me. Did Rarity specifically ask you not to talk to her?"

"No, but I think she implied it."

"Well, where is she staying? At your friend's, Pinkie's, correct? Perhaps you should ask Pinkie how Rarity is doing. I must inform you, however, that just as with any relationship, if you push it, you may lose it. I
have done so, being ready to commit myself, but not realizing the other mare was not ready. You do not want to harm Rarity, and forcing someone to do something they do not want to do in terms of love is a grave
thing, a horrifying thing... a painful thing."

Twilight left her aunt to her flowers. So many things to consider! On top of all her doubts, a new one emerged, nagging and whispering - what if Rarity did not want help from Celestia's lawyer?

*****

Rarity stood at the great window in Pinkie's living room, studying one of the garden trees and wondering if plants had hearts that fell in love, and broke.

"You do not love her," Rarity said aloud. "She is your best friend and she trusts you and you will not, under any circumstances, hurt her!"

"Whatcha thinking, huhuhuh?" Pinkie popped out of nowhere, giggling and hopping around Rarity.

"I- oh, darling, this is the most -"

"Horrible thing?" Pinkie cut in. "What is it? Can I help? Is there something for me to fix? How about having a cupcake, cupcakes help with everything, and the sweet taste will lift you up and I can put sprinkles on it! OH! How about a cupcake with little smiles on them? Then you can bite their heads and all they can do is smile! It might help your frustrations!"

Rarity blinked. Her new housemate sure was a hoof-ful! But she meant well, and she certainly did not mean to be cruel... or to sound slightly demented.

"You are correct. Eating a cupcake would be helpful. Can we talk in the kitchen?"

"Of course!"

Pinkie zoomed away. Rarity followed, her mind going over what to say. She decided and took a seat at the kitchen table.

"I kissed Twilight last night," she said softly.

Pinkie froze, and the flour she was pouring into a bowl overflowed, casting the kitchen in a fluffy haze of white.

Rarity coughed. When everything settled Pinkie had not moved.

"I...Pinkie?" Rarity swallowed.

Pinkie suddenly shook off all the flour. "Cupcakes are perfect!" she said cheerfully. "They can't back stab you."

"I - what?"

"It's not you, Rarity, it's me, I took too long, and what kind of cupcake do you want? Icing? Of course you want icing, chocolate or vanilla? Orange? Apple? Licorice? Do you want to watch a movie tonight? We could invite everyone again!"

Rarity frowned. Pinkie's words were coming out faster and pinker than normal, like they were coated in sweetness and saturated in speed.

"Pinkie?" Rarity asked.

"Yes, Rarity? Oh, we need tofu! Never mind, found it." Pinkie measured the right amount of tofu and mixed it into the batter. She signed. She turned to Rarity. "Do you love her?"

Rarity assumed Pinkie meant Twilight. "I ... I hate the thought of hurting her, and she doesn't understand...Pinkie, I want to protect her, keep her safe from all the horrible ponies that would harm her for being who she is..." Rarity trailed off.

"Well, you certainly care for her," Pinkie said with a sad smile.

"You like her, too, don't you?"

"I like everypony!" Pinkie said proudly. Rarity raised an eyebrow, and Pinkie must have realized what the question actually was. "Oh, oh, no! I don't like like everypony! I mean, I want to make everypony happy! But Twilight... I was kinda thinking we could make each other happy, see? But ..." Pinkie seemed to dim. "ANYway!" She went back to rushing around the kitchen.

It struck Rarity that she had failed to take in account anyone, but her and Twilight's feelings. True, it actually didn't matter what others thought if Rarity and Twilight wholeheartedly loved each other, but Rarity should have thought about her circle of friends. Any romance within the group would change the dynamics, and could Rarity do that? She had just gotten her friends, she didn't want to destroy them just as quickly.

"Oh, cupcakes, I anticipate your sugary sweetness on my tongue, baking you in the oven and waiting -"

Rarity whinced. Pinkie had a singing problem.

***

Earlier that day, back in school, Rainbow Dash walked the halls, back and forth. It was lunch, but she did not feel hungry, not even a little. Her mind was being ravaged, torn with indecision- she had to talk to Fluttershy. She had to face her- but she couldn't. She had to, but she just... couldn't.

Just thinking about the situation, about Fluttershy, about what she had done, made her feel sick. She was a coward. She would be doing her a favour, really...

But Twilight would come down on her if she didn't. She was right, too- she knew it. She was so... teacher-like, so commanding when she had lectured her. It was like being told to shape up by an adult, except she actually... respected her.

Dash shook her head with frustration as she kept pacing up and down the hall. She hated having to feel like this. She hated feeling guilty, she hated feeling sad. It made her angry- angry with Gilda, with Twilight, with Fluttershy, with the world- but really, with herself most of all. Why couldn't there be some easy solution? Some happy, solve-all package to just help her get past this?

Then, as she paced up and down, wrecked with doubt, she heard a small cry, just around the corner. Amused colt voices, and a scared, younger filly's voice. Dash decided to investigate- anything to put her predicament off. Trotting round the corner, she saw them- three upper-year colts, holding a first-year down, laughing at her, prodding at her, mocking her.
Something in Dash just clicked. She had at times been a bully herself, often without realizing it, but some things were just... not done. Flexing her wings, she picked up speed. Like a coloured lightning bolt, she barreled into the first of them, back hoofs slamming into his face. The shocked colt dropped like a sack of potatoes. One of his companions, the one closest, reared and brought his hooves up, but Dash slipped under him, and slammed a hoof at the most sensible place a colt can imagine. The colt let out a squeal, and fell over, writhing in pain.

The third one snarled at her, putting his hooves up, but Dash just spat at him.

“You wanna do this, genius? I just dropped two of your buddies in two seconds. You wanna do this? Let's do this!”

“Wh-what the hell?” The colt stammered, backing down. “What the hell gives, Rainbow? We were just- I thought you were cool! What did we ever do to you?”

Dash looked at him, snorting, stamping a front hoof into the floor. This had become quite the scene- students were massing to see what happened. The two Dash had beaten down were groaning on the floor- she was sure to get a reputation from this. Dash took a look at the remaining colt- she remembered him now, a member of the school earth pony rugby team- Barker, if she remembered right.

“What did she ever do to you?” Dash said, pointing to the quivering first-year mare, curled up against a locker.

“W-we were just having a laugh! Sheesh, t-take it easy!” Barker stammered. “We wasn't gonna hurt her or nothin', just-”

“Just what.” Dash said flatly. “Because she didn't seem to be having fun, was she?”

“We-”

“You must feel real big and proud, three senior year colts beating up a first year mare.” Dash said, her voice dripping venom. “Yeah, I bet your daddies would be real proud if they heard what big strong colts their sons are, who have what it takes to got three on one with a defenseless first year.”

“Look, she's only a stupid fillyfooler!” Barker blurted out. “Nobody cares! We were just gonna teach her a lesson-”

“Oh, really.” Dash said, bringing her hoof down on the floor. A tile cracked under it; Barker gulped. “What lesson would that be?”

“Not... being um, a stupid fillyfooler?” Barker was visibly sweating, realizing more and more how he was digging himself deeper into a hole with every word.

“I am a fillyfooler, you dumb shit!” Dash sneered. “Yeah, that's right!” She shouted loudly, now facing the crowd of students. “Are you not entertained? This'll go great with all your little gossips, won't it?”

“N-no way...” Barker said lamely. “That uh, that can't be true. You're the best air football player the school has, you're cool! You can't be-”

“You're bucking right I am cool.” Dash said coldly. “I am awesome, cool, radical, and I like mares. There's even a special mare, although I'm not sure if she'll even want me any more.”

“But-”

“You know what you're gonna do?” Dash said, pushing Barker up against a locker. The earth pony was bigger and taller than her, but it didn't seem to matter. “You're gonna take your friends to the nurse, and when they ask, you're gonna tell 'em you fell down the stairs. If you don't, and if I ever see you come close to that filly again, I'm gonna hunt you down and hurt you. You're gonna wish you were dead. Got it?”

Too terrified to do anything but nod, Barker, hurriedly pulled his friends up, running off with them as fast as he could manage. Dash turned to the young mare, and pulled her up.

“You all right?”

The traumatized filly just nodded. From out the crowd, two ponies her age ran out, hugging her comforting her. Friends, Dash realized.

“Thank you so much-” one of them began.

“Where were you when they were bullying her?” Dash asked coldly.

“We...” the pony trailed off, hanging her head in shame.

“You're all cowards.” Dash spat. “The two of you, and all of you!” She pointed to the audience. “Sure, you can stay and watch, but did even one of you tell 'em to stop? Get a teacher? You're worse than me!” The crowd remained silent. Whether shamed or uncaring, Dash could not tell. Flapping her wings, Dash flew away, angry. This had been so intense- who the hell would just... do that, do that to somebody just for being different? And now, all of it was out, because she couldn't keep her mouth shut when she got angry. Her life was even worse, even if that had seemed impossible.

Then something hit her. Just when she had taken off, she had seen a dash of cream yellow and pink in the crowd- had Fluttershy seen her? Had she been there? Had she been one of the people Dash had just... collectively called cowardly?

Dash flew out of the school, up to the roof. She needed to be alone for a bit.


Fluttershy generally saw and heard everything that happened in the school. Very few bothered to notice the quiet mare, and fewer still acknowledged her. She used this to her advantaged, silently weaving in and out of crowds and listening in on who needed a friend.

Today she wasn't really weaving so much as she was carefully going along her way. She had insisted on going back to school (Pinkie nearly died of shock, saying the Pegasus needed rest, not maths), and now she was in a throng of students, wondering if this had really been a good idea.

Up ahead there seemed to be a block. Agonizing over whether or not to turn around, Fluttershy heard what could have only been Rainbow Dash:

“I am a fillyfooler, you dumb shit!" a few seconds of silence. "Yeah, that's right! Are you not entertained? This'll go great with all your little gossips, won't it?”

Fluttershy fought her way through the ponies. She had to see! Was Dash in danger? Did somepony challenge Dash?

“You're bucking right I am cool,” Dash replied coldly to somepony. “I am awesome, cool, radical, and I like mares. There's even a special mare, although I'm not sure if she'll even want me any more.”

Now Fluttershy was near the front of the students. She peered around one such fellow pony. Was that Barker?

“But-”

“You know what you're gonna do?” Dash asked dangerously. She pushed the larger and taller Barker up against a locker. Fluttershy felt her heart quicken, and her eyes widen. No Dash! “You're gonna take your friends to the nurse, and when they ask, you're gonna tell 'em you fell down the stairs. If you don't, and if I ever see you come close to that filly again, I'm gonna hunt you down and hurt you. You're gonna wish you were dead. Got it?”

Barker quickly took his friends and high-tailed it out of there. Fluttershy watched in agony as Dash helped the young mare up. What had happened? Should she go and help Dash and the young mare? Should she -

“You all right?” Dash asked.

The traumatized filly just nodded. Two young ponies her age pushed past Fluttershy, causing the yellow Pegasus to hold back in fear of her injuries being aggravated.

“Thank you so much-” one of them began.

“Where were you when they were bullying her?” Dash asked coldly.

“We...” the pony trailed off, hanging her head in shame.

“You're all cowards.” Dash spat. “The two of you, and all of you!”

In anger, Dash took the air, leaving them all behind. Fluttershy looked around. Some of the ponies weren't fazed by what had happened (another entertaining fight, is all), while others genuinely seemed ashamed. Most looked confused, or disappointed.

Fluttershy flexed her wings. She really wasn't suppose to fly for another few days, but Dash was far too important. Fluttershy took the air, ignoring her pain, and focusing on the only thing that mattered: Rainbow Dash.

Dash had flown out the school doors, up the school front, and now sat on the school roof, resting her back against a turbine. Her thoughts were tumultuous; the implications of what she had just done was overwhelming. Slowly, she forced herself to focus, to think.

She had just... outed herself. Strangely, she did not feel as horrified about it as she thought. She dreaded the results, dreaded to think what it would do to her reputation- what if she was kicked off the air football team? What if everyone would think she was uncool? What if Fluttershy would never forgive her?What if, what if, what if?!

But at the same time, as her emotions began to settle, she felt... relieved. She had been afraid for so long- so afraid of what everyone would think, so afraid of what she would think of herself. For the longest time, she had made justifications- she wasn't gay, it was just Fluttershy, it was this and that- but at some point she had realized it; she was gayer than a daffodil. And now, she had told everypony, and she wasn't freaking out. She felt okay. She wasn't afraid any more. She was awesome, and if the rest of 'em didn't see it, then buck them. Yeah, buck them all!

“Rainbow Dash?”

There was no mistaking the soft, gentle voice. Fluttershy slowly worked her way up the roof's edge, visibly struggling to fly.

“Fluttershy, you idiot!” Dash cried out, pulling her up over the edge. “You're not supposed to fly yet- what if you hurt yourself?”
Instantly, she bit her tongue. Damn it, calling her an idiot now? Was there any way she could be clumsier?

Fluttershy just smiled. “I know you care. But I'm stronger than you think, Rainbow Dash.”

“...”
Fluttershy sat up properly, next to Dash. Not sure what to say, how to express herself after all this, Dash was quiet. She should say something- why wasn't she saying anything? What was she supposed to do? Why was she just looking her in the eye, smiling? Why wasn't she angry?

Finally, Dash broke the silence.

“You... you should probably get to class...”

“Not yet.” Fluttershy said. She wasn't backing down- this was her being assertive, Dash knew. It was subtle, hard to spot, but Fluttershy was sometimes tougher than steel.

“You- I-”

“Yes?”

Dash shook her head in frustration. “You could do much better than me! You deserve somebody who- who wouldn't-”

Fluttershy kissed Dash's cheek. “Just say you're sorry.”

“Just like that? Even after all that? I'm horrible, Fluttershy! I let you down. I am a coward!”

“It wasn't a coward who stood up for that poor filly.” Fluttershy said, smiling.

“I... god Fluttershy, I'm so sorry. I just- I am disgusted with myself-” Dash was stuttering.

“Twilight told me.” Fluttershy said, nodding. “You were punishing yourself all this time, weren't you?”

“You should find somebody else, Fluttershy. You're sweet, beautiful, rich- you could get any mare.”

“I don't want any mare.” Fluttershy said, putting a hoof on Dash's shoulder. “I want Rainbow Dash.”

“But-”

“I was so surprised when you first kissed me. You were the coolest, toughest, best pony in school. You were the pony everypony knew. Why would somebody that cool love a shy, asocial loser like me?”

“You're not!” Dash cried. “You never were a loser!”

“I thought so. I don't any more, but back then...”

“You...” Dash struggled; dealing with this much emotion was alien to her. “You were this perfect sweetheart. You were like, a princess to me. You could have anyone, and you picked me. Me! I'm just a thug from the wrong side of the tracks who nobody cares about! I'm probably gonna be stuck in some dead end job for the rest of my life- if I don't end up in jail. Why would you want me?”

“Because you're a lot better than that.” Fluttershy faced her, looking her in the eye. “You are not just some slum pony nobody cares about. You're my marefriend, and there's nothing you can't do, if you'll only let yourself.”

"Let myself?" Dash echoed. Was it that simple? Was the only pony in her way...herself? She shook her head. "I'll screw up your life, Fluttershy. I'll -"

"Complete me," Fluttershy said simply. The quiet announcement silenced Dash's tongue. Fluttershy went on: "I choose you, Rainbow Dash. For better or for worse, you are who I want, who I need, and I will not let anything get in the way. For too long I've let myself be told I'm not worth it, not worth what I love... I'm going to fight for you, Rainbow Dash, even if I have to fight you to do it!"

Dash sat there, staring at the sweet mare before her, her mind doing somersaults as it thought of the implications that her mare - her mare! - had said. "Well...I...uh...okay, then." She grinned. "I like it when you're bossy."

Fluttershy smirked (the look was strangely exotic on her) and she said, "I can be quite bossy. But!" She brought her nose to Dash's nose. "I'd rather not be. Um...can we kiss now? I mean, if that's okay with you..."

And Dash knew deep within her soul it was okay. She also knew from that moment on Fluttershy had her wrapped around her hoof.

"Hey guys!" Gilda interrupted. She landed by Dash. Fluttershy squeaked. Gilda held out a paw. "Look, dweeb, I'm sorry for what happened. I don't like you, and I won't be friends with you, but I want you to know I'm sorry, and it won't happen again. And if you need help, I'll help ya, too."

Fluttershy blinked like a deer in lamp light. "Uhm..." she shook her head as if to clear it, and held out her hoof. She and Gilda shook. "Okay."

Gilda fluffed up her feathers. "You gonna hang out here some more, or ya gonna join me for some soda?" she asked Dash.

"I'll stay here for a while."

"Okay, cool. Bye Dweeb."

Gilda took off. Fluttershy watched her go, then turned to Dash. "She's really a good person, isn't she?"

"Yeah. We've just...its been hard. But she's the best person to have your back."

Fluttershy laughed. "No, I think you are. Gilda can come close, but I think you're the one that meanies will run from. You're awesome."

Dash blushed. "Yeah, I'm the coolest."

Fluttershy snuggled up to Dash. "Want to skip class?" At this moment, Fluttershy felt school was a distant second in the most important things ever.

"Yeah." Dash nuzzled the top of Shy's head. "Here's where I want to be."