• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 1,375 Views, 135 Comments

Yu-EQ-Gi-oh:Linked Paradox - Quillion9000



Flash Sentry has a couple of the worst days of his life and loses practically everything. Now, he must duel to reclaim what he lost.

  • ...
5
 135
 1,375

The Phenomenon vs The Cipher

Canterlot: Apartment, Night…
After Nathan crushed them, Flash and Forward were melancholic as they made their way home. Granted, Flash wasn’t usually the talkative one when they were together, but he was typically happy to spend time with his little brother. He loved how excitable Forward could be.

Now, his brother’s cheery disposition seemed to have been ripped away. Sure, Flash put time into that Armed Dragon deck, but it was nowhere near as meaningful as those normal monsters had been to Forward. The pair entered a typical apartment, nothing fancy or lavishly decorated.

That’s because, despite their father’s occupation, both parents decided they wanted their boys to grow up with as normal a life as possible. Maybe it’s because they never experienced much outside of this, but Flash and Forward didn’t long for more.

They were content, until the day their mother vanished. Even then, Magnus had tried to be there for them. Flash opened the door, and Forward went straight to his room where he closed himself in for the night. He hadn’t even noticed Shadow Lock sitting on the couch instead of their father.

Flash sighed and rubbed his head before addressing the man. “Hey Uncle Shadow. I didn’t realize you would be in town. How are you?”

Shadow noticed how down one of his surrogate nephews seemed, so he shut off the movie he was watching. “I’m fine bud, but the same doesn’t seem to be the case for you and Forward. Did something happen between you two?”

“It’s a long story.” Flash stated.

“Considering Stygian is the main guy in charge of creating duel monster cards, I always got time for my favorite nephews.” He patted the seat next to him. “Why don’t you have a seat, I’ll grab us a couple of sodas, and you can tell me about it.”

Flash managed a smile. While Magnus was there for his sons as often as possible, there were times he was busy working on the next technological advancement in dueling. Like duel disk, new duel runners, and the ARC system.

“A soda sounds nice right about now.” Flash nodded. “Can I have my favorite?”

“One cream soda coming up.” Shadow stood with a smile.

Shadow walked into the kitchen and Flash had a seat. After today’s loss, it felt good to just sit back and relax. With Shadow in the kitchen, Flash had to wonder where his father was. He was the one who told them to be back around this time, but maybe an emergency had come up.

Docks
Magnus walked onto the docks, with his hands in his trench coat, as the moon steadily rose in the cloudless sky. Currently, all operations had ceased for a time as workers were busy preparing for the coming winter. Magnus walked on confidently since he knew why he was here.

He would find Cipher and duel him with every ounce of skill he had. The Phenomenon soon came to a stop as a light on a nearby ship turned on before shining down on him. He turned and did his best to cover his eyes allowing him to see the outline of a figure perched on the railing.

“You’ve come just as I anticipated Phenomenon!” The figure declared with a distorted voice, most likely from some type of voice modulator. “With your defeat, my existence will be cemented!”

The figure jumped down from the railing. He landed before Magnus at just the right distance for a duel. The Cipher had glowing, light blue skin, crimson red hair, and filled, galaxy eyes. He was the personification of Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon.

He wore a golden colored face mask which only covered the bottom half of his face. His attire consisted of a long sleeved, light blue with gold trim shirt, matching pants, and combat boots. On his arm he had a galaxy blue duel disk with a red energy blade already out for the duel.

“You talk about cementing your existence, but all you’ve done is rip away loved ones from their friends and families. You talk about advancing duel monsters, but all you are is a criminal. As the strongest duelist, I will stop you.” Magnus declared.

“Do you know how many duelists have said that to me?” The Cipher shook his head, “Honestly, this isn’t about numbers as it’s too many to count. I will say that my favorite was Somnambula. She went on and on about how she’d stop me to protect you and your kids.”

If Cipher wanted to upset Magnus, it wouldn’t work. Don’t get him wrong because The Phenomenon was beyond enraged. This guy had taken his wife and most of his dear friends, but he was not going to underestimate his opponent. He would conduct himself with a level head.

The Cipher continued. “She loved you three above all else, and despite what you may think of me, I am not without a heart. That is why, when confronted by you now, I will tell you her final words.”

“What were they?” Magnus calmly asked.

“She said, ‘Flash Magnus, thank you for everything. I love you and our children. I’m sorry I couldn’t be stronger’. Those were her last words before I sent her away from this world.” The Cipher stated.

“Somnambula…You couldn’t beat him, but you were always strong enough for me.” Magnus stared his opponent down. “If you’re looking for gratitude, you won’t get it. Those words wouldn’t have been needed if you weren’t here.”

“I was not looking for gratitude.” The Cipher nodded. “Now, let us commence our duel.”

Magnus activated his duel disk, causing a gray energy blade to appear. “I can agree to that.”

A powerful wind blew through the docks as these goliaths drew their starting hands.

“Let’s Duel!”

(Magnus 4000/Cipher 4000)

“I’m taking command.” Magnus declared.

Cipher shrugged. “I let my opponents decide turn order anyways.”

“Since I control no monsters, I can special summon Photon Thrasher(LV 4/2100/0).” A metal warrior with photon blue energy inside appeared. I’ll then normal summon Goblindbergh(LV 4/1400/0).” A goblin in a red airplane took the field while hauling a large, metal box.

“When he comes to the field, I can special summon any level 4 or lower monster from my hand. All it’ll cost me is my goblin going into defense mode, so I special summon Heroic Challenger-Extra Sword(LV 4/1000/1000).”

A man in silver and dark green armor appeared wielding two blades. “I then activate Inferno Reckless Summon. When a monster with 1500 or less attack is special summoned, I can special summon as many copies of that monster from my deck, hand, and/or grave as possible.

On top of that, you’d be able to target a monster you control and do the same; however, you don’t have a monster to target. I’m bringing two more Heroic Challenger-Extra Sword(LV 4/1000/1000) from my deck to the field.”

“A field of five monsters summoned with relative ease.” The Cipher nodded. “I’d expect nothing less of The Phenomenon.”

“I figured he’d be aware of my deck, but others have studied it only to come up short.” Magnus continued. “I overlay my five warriors. Heroic Champion comprised of five come to my aid. Xyz Summon Number 86: Heroic Champion – Rhongomyniad(R 4/O 5/6000/3000 effects).”

A warrior decked out in white with golden trim armor appeared wielding a golden sphere. “First, Number 86 gains 1000 ATK from each Extra Sword since they were used in his summon. He also gains effects based on the number of overly units he has, and five is the max.

That said, one will be detached during each of your end phases. With all five units, he can’t be destroyed by battle, is unaffected by other card effects, gains 1500 ATK/DEF, you can’t normal or special summon monsters, and I can destroy all cards on your field.”

“I can see why you’re one of the best.” Cipher calmly stated.

Magnus continued. “Now, my hand feels empty, so I think I’ll refill it with Overlay Reward. This spell allows me to target an XYZ monster I control and draw cards equal to the number of overlay units it has. Number 86 has five, so I draw five. I’ll finish with two set cards.”

“Even a card to refresh your hand which works in sync with a card such as Number 86. Masterfully done.” Cipher drew. “Considering there isn’t much I can do; I will set one card and end my turn. This means your monster losses an overlay unit.”

Number 86: Heroic Champion – Rhongomyniad(R 4/O 4/6000/3000 effects)

“His deck has cards that can sway the battle even with the suppression I’ve leveled against him, so as much as I’d like to go all out, that face down could spell trouble. I’ll just have to stick with Number 86 until I can draw something.” Magnus drew. “Number 86 will attack you directly.”

“I activate my face down Prevent Draw.” The Cipher countered. “Your monster may be unaffected, but this card doesn’t affect him in any way. If I am to take damage, said damage is reduced to 0, and I draw a card.”

“I end my turn.” Magnus stated.

“I draw.” Cipher stated. “I’ll activate Trade-In. Now, I discard a Level 8 monster to draw two cards. I’ll then set two cards to end my turn.”

Number 86: Heroic Champion – Rhongomyniad(R 4/O 3/6000/3000 effects)

Magnus drew causing Cipher to speak up. “Since it is your turn, and the restriction on my summoning is gone, I activate my face down Quick-Play Galaxy Rebirth. This spell revives the Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon(LV 8/1500/2500 effect) I sent to the GY for Trade-In.”

The galaxy blue dragon appeared. “Rebirth then equips itself to the monster it brings back until the end of the turn. At the end of the turn, it will destroy the monster if it has not inflicted battle damage. On top of that, the selected monster has its ATK cut in half. What will you do now?”

“If I attack, he’ll activate the effect severing the link to the spell. That means, his dragon wouldn’t be destroyed, and it’ll come back at full strength.” Magnus sighed. “I end my turn.”

“Galaxy-Eyes is destroyed.” Cipher drew. “Now, it’s time for some real summoning. I normal summon Cipher Sage(LV 4/1200/1000).” A tall man in cipher blue attire appeared. “Since I control a Cipher monster, I can special summon Cipher Wing(LV 4/1400/1200) from my hand.”

A green machine ball, with wings, appeared. “I construct the overlay network with my level 4 monsters. Dragon who protects the strong descend. I Xyz summon Starliege Photon Blast Dragon(R 4/O 2/1800/2500).” A light blue and white dragon appeared.

“I don’t recognize that monster as one he’s used before.” Magnus thought.

“This card has an effect upon being Xyz summoned, but I’ll forgo it before detaching an overlay unit to special summon Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon(LV 8/3000/2500) from my grave.” The galaxy dragon descended once more.

“That was your plan.” Magnus shook his head. “I’m not about to let you keep him. I activate my first face down Karma Cut. By discarding one card from my hand, I’ll target your Galaxy-Eyes and banish it.”

“A good card but ineffectual at this time.” Cipher stated as his dragon was surrounded by a light blue aura keeping him on the field.

“What’s going on?” Magnus asked. “How come your dragon isn’t banished?”

“It’s another of Blast Dragon’s effects.” Cipher stated. “As long as he’s on the field, any dragon I control with 2000 or more ATK is safe from card effects.”

Magnus grunted. “Then, I have nothing to get rid of your dragon.”

“That means, I shall continue my turn.” Cipher stated. “Since I control Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon, I can special summon Galaxy-Eyes Afterglow Dragon(LV 8/3000)2500) from my hand to the field in defense mode.” Another Galaxy-Eyes appeared, but this one was light blue.

“With my level 8 monsters I construct the overlay network. The assassin of Xyz monsters becomes one with the Numeron to transcend. Xyz summon Number 62: Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon(R 8/O 2/4000/3000).” A light blue dragon with dark blue scales descended.

“Another monster from history. He’s more dangerous than anyone currently knows. Still, I will persevere. That said, if I fall, people need to know that his arsenal is bigger than we thought.” Magnus put his hands behind his back. “You are an impressive duelist.

It’s a shame you choose to use these skills of yours to make people vanish.” He was messing with the touch screen of the duel disk working to link his with The Ciphers, so the data could be distributed to the proper sources. “You’d have made a great rival.”

He knew it would be a lost cause to find out more about the Cipher through the duel disks, but information on the cards was doable.

“I do what no one else will.” The Cipher replied. “I provide the challenge people aspire to beat, and in the end, a new age will begin. Now, back to the duel. While your Number is invulnerable to destruction, it doesn’t mean I can’t deal damage.

I’ll attack with Number 62 and activate his effect. By detaching one overlay unit, during damage calculation, my monster gains 200 ATK x the Ranks of all Xyz monsters currently on the field. Galaxy Eyes has 8, Blast Dragon has 4, and Number 86 has 4. Do the math.”

“That’s a 3200 ATK increase!” Magnus shouted.

Number 62: Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon(R 8/O 1/7200/3000 effect)

“You are right Phenomenon.” Cipher stated. “Even though your monster will stand, that’s still 1200 damage you’ll be taking. Number 62 attack 86 with Eternity Stream of Destruction.” A beam of photon energy was shot at Number 86.

“I can take the damage or use my face down to try and mitigate it. If I keep it hidden, I may lose it later, but if I use it now, he’ll gun for removing it. Damn it, I must try and get some use out of this.” Magnus held out his hand. “I activate my face down Undying Heroic Spirit!”

“Oh, what does that do?” Cipher asked unfamiliar with this card.

“This is the only luck-based card I’ve added to my deck. From here on out, once per turn, when I’m going to take damage, I can draw a card.” He drew but didn’t look at it. “I reveal it. If it’s anything but a monster, I discard it.


If it’s a monster, I can reduce the damage by its ATK or DEF.” Magnus looked at the card and revealed it with a smile just as the blast impacted with his monster. “I drew Heroic Challenger Support Bow(ATK 500) (Magnus 3300/Cipher 4000).”

Number 62: Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon(R 8/O 1/4000/3000)

“Not a bad trap all things considered, but it only lessoned the damage you took.” Cipher declared. “I still took a chunk out of your life points.”

“You did, but sometimes all you need is a reduction when it matters.” Magnus stated.

“Perhaps.” Cipher declared. “Either way, I end my turn meaning 86 loses another overlay unit.”

Number 86: Heroic Champion – Rhongomyniad(R 4/O 2/5000/3000 effects)

“With only two units, 86 losses his effect protection, and I’m certain Cipher knows that. What he doesn’t know is that I added two cards. If I draw one, I can get to the other.” Magnus drew. “There it is.” The Phenomenon smiled. “It’s time for my ultimate evolution.

First, I activate Xyz Crown and equip it to Number 86 allowing his Rank to be treated as a Level. I can also treat Number 86 as though he were two monsters. I’ll do just that to build the overlay network.” A glowing copy of 86 appeared before both went into the network.

“The warrior of many uses his power to summon a champion of righteous power. Xyz summon Heroic Champion-Excalibur(R 4/O 3/2000/2000).” A huge red and silver armored warrior wielding a large blade appeared.

“You summoned Excalibur with your crown spell?” Cipher questioned. “That’s odd. You usually go for any champion save Excalibur through this method.”

“I went for Excalibur because you’re not the only one with Rank 8 monsters.” Magnus declared. “I activate Rank-Up-Magic King’s Legacy on Excalibur. This spell can only be used on him. Thanks to this spell, I can rebuild the overlay network.

King of Challengers and Champions, heed the call of your holy weapon. Xyz summon Heroic King-Arthur Pendragon(R 8/O 4/3500/3000).” A huge warrior decked out in gray with gold trim armor appeared wielding the sword Excalibur. “This is my ultimate card!”

“I should have expected someone like you to up his game to face me, but that monster is 500 points shy of beating Number 62, and it’s not strong enough to end this by attacking Blast Dragon.” Cipher observed the monster. “What is you game here?”

“My game is this.” Magnus declared. “I can detach one overlay unit from my monster to negate the effects of a monster you control, half their ATK, grant that lost ATK to Pendragon, and gain LP equal to the ATK my monster gains. Pendragon use Half Drain on Photon Blast Dragon!”

Arthur Pendragon held his sword into the air as it and Blast Dragon glowed with a holy, white light. Blast Dragon’s size was cut in half and its eyes lost all color while Arthur grew just a bit.

Starliege Photon Blast Dragon(R 4/O 1/900/DEF 2500 effect)

Heroic King-Arthur Pendragon(R 8/O 3/4400/3000 effect)

(Magnus 4200/Cipher 4000)

“Hm, that is legitimately impressive/” Cipher stated sincerely.

“Save the compliments. Pendragon, tear through Blast Dragon with Heroic Slash.” Arthur surged forward and slashed the small dragon in half (Magnus 4200/Cipher 500). “I then set one card to end my turn.” Magnus declared. “I’ve backed him into a corner.

Cipher’s cards all target monsters, and when he goes for Pendragon, I’ll counter with my face down Xyz Reflect dealing out 800 life points of damage. Even if he over comes that, I’ll activate Pendragon’s effect. He’ll ensure victory on my next turn.”

Heroic King-Arthur Pendragon(R 8/O 3/ 3500/3000)

“You’ve played a good game Phenomenon and showed why you’ve earned your tittle. That said, everything is in place for my victory.” Cipher drew. “This is the end.”

“The end?” Magnus asked. “How do you figure?”

Cipher stood firm. “It all starts with Cipher Kuriboh.” A transparent, cipher colored Kuriboh briefly appeared before shattering (Magnus 4200/Cipher 250). “By discarding him, and paying half my life points, I take no damage this turn,”

“That means Xyz Reflect won’t deplete his life points, but I can still use its destruction effect.” Magnus thought.

“That’s not all.” Cipher declared. “I can banish the little guy to negate every card on your field.”

“Every card!?” Magnus exclaimed.

The transparent Kuriboh appeared high above Magnus’s field raining down sparkles. The face down card sparked with electricity while Arthur Pendragon’s eyes lost their color.

“Arthur only can’t be destroyed by card effect, but with that gone, he’s susceptible to it now.” Magnus thought before clenching his teeth. “With Xyz Reflect completely off the table, I only have one option to save myself.” He glanced from his hand to his opponent. “Bring it!”

“You know, your friends were strong. I’ll never deny that, but even they had their limits. Limits which you have exceeded. Now, you are about to witness greater power from this deck than any other duelists before you.” Cipher declared.

“Is he bluffing?” Magnus questioned. “Does he really have more power than he’s shown?”

Cipher continued his turn. “Since I control Number 62, I can normal summon Galaxy Knight(LV 8/1800/2600 effect) without tributing and he losses 1000 ATK.” A thin knight with a sword appeared levitating in midair on a hoverboard.

“When he’s summoned this way, he can target a Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon(LV 8/3000/2500) in my grave and special summon him to my field. With these two monsters, I shall construct the overlay network.

Galaxy which shines in the darkness reveal yourself to us and usher in the new era. Xyz Summon Galaxy-Eyes Cipher Dragon(R 8/O 2/3000/2500).” A large, light blue dragon with crimson red and dark blue scales descended.”

“His ace monster.” Magnus thought as he stared at it. “The very same one people reported as using my friend’s monsters to end them. He’ll likely take Pendragon, but with Heroic Challenger-Shield Soldier in my hand, I’ll survive.”

Cipher could wager a guess as to what The Phenomenon was thinking, but he was wrong. To defeat an opponent like this, He knew he’d have to go beyond his strength. He would continue to rise to greater heights of power. He had to surpass himself.

“My deck is one which has unlocked all forms of Xyz summoning.” Cipher declared. “I rebuild the overlay network with Number 62 itself.”

The number turned into a light blue light which flowed into the network shocking Magnus for the first time this duel. “W-What are you doing? Don’t tell me you have one of the Galaxy’s-Eyes that can be summoned that way!”

“Just watch.” Cipher declared. “By rebuilding the overlay network, I can bring about the power of Number 95, yet the control of Number 62. Xyz Summon Galaxy-Eyes Full Armor Photon Dragon(R 8/O 2/4000/3500).”

“This guy.” Magnus thought. “Is there no end to his strength?”

“I activate Full Armor’s effect.” Cipher declared. “By detaching 1 overlay unit, I can destroy your face up Arthur Pendragon leaving you defenseless. I then activate my face down Xyz Reborn to special summon the material I removed to activate said effect.

Descend back to the field Number whose strength grows with the power of Ranks. Come, Number 62: Galaxy-Eyes Prime Photon Dragon(R 8/O 1/4000/3000). I can attach Reborn as an overlay unit, but I don’t think I need it.”

“Shield Soldier can only block one attack.” Magnus dropped his arms to his side as he stared at the three powerful dragons. “Shadow and Stygian, I’m sorry. Please, watch over my boys. Flash and Forward, I love you so much.”

“Number 62, Cipher, and Full Armor attack Magnus together with Triple Stream of Destruction!” Cipher ordered.

All three dragons fired their beams at the same time causing them to combine into one, massive stream which washed over Magnus (Magnus 0/Cipher 250). When the blinding light from the attack ceased, Magnus was on his hands and knees, defeated.

Cipher snapped his fingers causing a cipher blue energy to wash over him, making it impossible for the Heroic user to move. A portal of the same color opened beneath him; however, he had yet to fall in. That’s because there was a barrier keeping him there for the time being.

Cipher slowly approached until he was standing before him. “You played a good game Magnus.”

“Hear my words Cipher.” Magnus stated. “Where I fall, others will rise. Duelist of my generation are still out there, new duelist of the next generation will continue to duel, and people who’ve never played pick up decks. One of them will defeat you where I couldn’t.”

“Perhaps they will, but that remains to be seen.” Cipher held out his arm, ready to snap his finger. “Before you leave, is there anyone at all you wish to leave a message for? I won’t deliver it unless I challenge them, but you never know.”

“I have a message for my boys.” Magnus stated. “No matter which one, Flash or Forward, tell them this. The two of you have more potential as duelists than I ever did at your age. I’m sorry I wasn’t there. Please, defeat Cipher where I couldn’t.”

“Moving words.” Cipher stated calmly before snapping his fingers. “Good-bye.”

The barrier below him vanished and Flash Magnus to fall into the portal. Once he was through, the portal itself vanished, and the man’s empty duel disk was all that was left.

Cipher picked it up. “I’m sorry, old friend.”

Without a word, he turned into cipher blue particles that vanished into the sky as the light from the ship turned off. The docks were silent, save a sorrowful wind which blew on through.

The Apartment
Flash had finished telling Shadow of his and Forward’s duels against Nathan Castor. This naturally included what they’d lost. Having a cream soda in hand helped in recounting things.

“No wonder the little guy was so sullen when he returned.” Shadow sighed. “No doubt he’s already asleep though.” He looked at Flash. “How are you holding up?”

“I suppose I’m fine.” Flash stated. “I mean, I put a lot of work into that Armed Dragon deck only to find out how outmatched I was. I think I was a little overconfident not to include any extra deck monsters, but it’s not the biggest loss.” He shook his head. “Not by a long shot.”

“Yeah, that silly little deck of normal monsters…” Shadow smiled fondly while a sadness entered his eyes. “Heh, I can still remember coming on over only to find the two of them making it. No one could have known it’d be the last thing she did.”

“In the end, I failed him Shadow.” Flash stated sadly. “I failed my little brother because I wasn’t strong enough…because I was overconfident in my ability to handle things…Now, he’s lost that important link to our mother.”

“You didn’t fail.” Shadow stated. “You did everything you could to get the deck back. That’s more than some brothers would do for their siblings.” He rubbed Flash’s back. “The fact is, Nathan was more skilled, and that’s something you had little control over.”

Flash shook his head. “Then, why do I feel this way?”

“You feel this way because you care deeply about people.” Shadow stated. “You’ve always had a good heart and worn it on your sleeve. It’s only natural you’d feel this way.”

Flash took a deep breath and managed a small smile. “Thank you, uncle.”

“Any time.” Shadow got an idea as he took off his deck box and passed it to Flash. “Here, I think you’re going to need a new deck.” He left it in Flash’s hands who was shocked. “My Black Luster/Gaia deck has served me well, and maybe they’ll do the same for you.”

“Shadow, I couldn’t take your deck.” He held it out to him. “Please, take it back.”

“No way bud.” Shadow refused. “Honestly, I’ve been using it less lately.” He pulled out a black and red deck box and showed it to Flash before putting it around his waist. “This deck has been calling my name. Red Dragon Archfiends. Might as well give the old deck to who needs it.”

Flash stared at the deck box with apprehension after what happened today. “I don’t know.”

Shadow smiled. “Flash, do you remember what your father always says anytime you or Forward lose?”

“You learn more from failure than you do victory until one day you’ve learned enough not to fail again.” Flash stated. “With every failure, you need to pick yourself back up, or you’ll never reach the next victory.”

“Exactly.” Shadow nodded. “If you give me back that deck, you’re refusing to get back up,and that’s not you. Take the deck. If you don’t, I’ll just pass it onto to some random kid.”

Flash looked at the deck box before clipping it to his waist. “Alright, I’ll use it.” He stood. “Anyways, I’m feeling rather tired, so I think I’ll turn in for the night.”

“Just make sure your alarm is on.” Shadow stated. “I’m making breakfast tomorrow, and a growing boy needs the most important meal of the day.”

“I will.” Flash started to walk off, but he realized he never asked about Magnus. “Hey uncle, where’s father?”

Shadow did not want to tell him Magnus went off to duel The Cipher, not yet at least.

“Don’t worry about him.” Shadow chuckled. “He said a problem arose in the latest line of duel runners. You know him. He’ll be there to fix it until it’s in working order. May not even return the next day.”

“When he has a project, he can become rather focused.” Flash walked away. “Night Uncle.”

“Night bud.” Shadow stated.

Once he heard Flash’s door close, Shadow looked at the window. “Magnus, it’s getting late. Have you already lost, or are you making your way home? If you lost, then this Cipher is stronger than we ever imagined.”

Morning…
Flash awoke to his alarm going off, so he turned it off before looking at the posters on the right and left walls. On the right there was Yugi Muto, Jaden Yuki, Yusei Fudo, and Yuma Tsukumo. On the left there was Seto Kaiba, Chazz Princeton, Jack Atlas, and Kite Tenjo.

They were some of the best duelists of their times, and Flash’s biggest inspirations for getting into dueling. His father would be up there too if he couldn’t see him whenever he liked. Flash dreamed of reaching their level, but he was uncertain if he ever would.

Flash sighed as he stood up only to realize he slept in his clothing from yesterday. “Looks like a shower is in order. First, I should let Shadow know I’m awake, and I should check on Forward.” The duelist left his room, but he didn’t smell anything. “Did uncle get called away?”

He walked into the living room only to see Shadow passed out on the couch. “Peculiar. Uncle has always been good about getting to bed early. Did he not set his alarm?” Flash shrugged. “Eh, I can grab breakfast on the way to school.”

Flash moved to his brother’s room only to find a note on the door.

To whoever,

Gone to school.

Forward.

“What?” Flash questioned. “I like walking with Forward to school, and he loves it. Man, that loss must be getting to him in a way no other loss has.” He shook his head as he moved to prepare for the day. “I’ll need to talk to him about it and make sure he’s okay.”

Canterlot School
Forward had walked along the sidewalk in silence. His usual, cheery disposition wasn’t coming to him. That was because he was in the middle of a conflict over what he was taught as opposed to what he’s observed. He was taught to respect his opponents, but Nathan Castor sure didn’t.

Just look where that got him. The guy was cocky and arrogant, but he seemed to have a good reason to be if his line about taking 99 decks was to be believed. After losing to the Gladiator Beasts, Forward had to consider his thoughts on The Cipher.

That guy had the power to defeat all of dad’s friends, and countless other duelists, including his mother. If he respected his opponent, he wouldn’t make them vanish. That was another thing. The power to make someone vanish after defeating them in a duel was quite the feat.

Especially when you paid attention to history. You didn’t get power like that through respect for your opponent. The more he thought about it, the more it seemed like the world was shifting. Strength seemed to be overtaking respect.

Forward had to acknowledge that if he had power like theirs, he could do something about people like them. As things stood now, he had to at least acknowledge that he was weak. Forward walked into the school, past the statue, as he didn’t even register a limo sitting out front.

The kid began making his way through the halls when he bumped into someone familiar to all the students. Vice Principal Luna. She had light blue skin, cyan eyes, and dark and light blue long hair. She wore a light purple blouse, dark pants, and white shoes.

“Oh, I’m sorry vice principal.” Forward apologized. “I have a lot on my mind, and I wasn’t looking where I was going.”

“It is quite alright Forward.” Luna smiled. “Honestly, I’m glad I ran into you. There is a rather important person in my sister’s office asking for you.”

“Asking for me?” Forward asked. “Who would be asking for me?”

That was something Forward wasn’t used to. Flash was usually the one people asked for because he was the oldest. That meant he was closer to inheriting the company than Forward. The only time he was called in was when it was with Flash.

Luna started to lead him back to the office. “It seems you’re dueling has caught the attention of Sombra, owner of team Crystal Cavalcade.”

“Really?” Forward asked shocked. “Are you sure he doesn’t mean Flash?”

“He did ask for you by name.” Luna stated. “Obviously, Celestia and I are proud when our students catch the eye of such distinguished people.”

Forward couldn’t believe it. His dueling caught the eyes of a duel team. He never imagined this outcome occurring. Sure, he was confident in his skills, but he knew he was weak. Now more than ever he understood that point.

The pair eventually entered the office to find Sombra who was sitting across from Principal Celestia. She was a rather tall woman with white skin, light blue and pink hair, and bright purple eyes. She wore a yellow blazer over a purple and white shirt with purple pants.

“I’m just saying your skills are being wasted in this middle school setting.” Sombra stated. “In my opinion, you could collect one great duel team Celestia.”

“I won’t say Luna and I haven’t considered it.” Celestia admitted.

“Well, there you go.” Sombra stated. “I say you should undertake the task, and I’ve heard rumors Canterlot’s owner is looking to pass his team off.”

“We’ll think about it; however, I believe the student you wished to meet is here.” Celestia stated.

Sombra stood and turned to Forward with a smile. “Ah, there you are Forward Base.” He approached and shook Forward’s hand. “It is a pleasure to meet you. You may have heard my name already, but I am Sombra, owner of Crystal Cavalcade.”

“Uh yeah, I’ve heard about you sir.” Forward smiled nervously. “It is an honor to meet you.”

“I’ll cut to the chase.” Sombra stopped shaking his hand. “My team is a bit different from most. I tend to look for duelists with potential, yet no outlet to make use of it. I give them the tools to reach their true strength. After looking into you, I can say you have great potential.”

“You honestly think I have potential?” Forward asked in disbelief.

“Of course.” Sombra shook his head. “I’m sad to see you don’t think the same of yourself. I think your potential even surpasses that of your father.” He laughed before looking to Celestia and Luna. “Please, is there somewhere I can better discuss this with him?”

“You could use the counselor room.” Celestia offered. “It is just down the hall.”

Sombra smiled. “That’s lovely, but I will not discuss things alone with Forward unless he agrees.” He looked at the boy. “I do ask that you allow me to explain, but the choice is yours.” He chuckled good naturedly. “By no means am I here to force you to join.”

Forward thought about it. Here was this man interested in recruiting him, seeing potential in him, and treating him with some respect. Not to mention, Forward had heard how strong the duelists from team Crystal Cavalcade were. Perhaps this was the path to strength.

“I’m willing to hear you out, sir.” Forward declared.

“I’m glad to hear it.” Sombra walked towards the hallway. “Please, follow me.”

Sugar Cube Corner
Once Flash had finished getting ready, he’d put a blanket over his sleeping uncle, and set off for the one place a person could get something quick to eat on their way to school. Sugar Cube Corner.

He opened the door only for a familiar girl to bump into him and almost fall over until he caught her. This girl had purple skin, violet eyes, and dark purple hair with a pink streak. She wore a light blue blouse with a purple skirt and purple boots.

“Whoa, we really have to stop bumping into each other like this Twilight.” Flash stated as he helped her stand.

Twilight almost responded, but she adopted a rather uncertain look before taking off.

“What was…” Flash began to question until he remembered Sunset’s call causing him to run back outside. “Twilight, wait!” She didn’t stop, and he was left to watch her until she turned a corner. “What is going on?”

Flash was confused, but his stomach currently had other concerns as it grumbled. Skipping out on dinner had its consequences. Since he needed to figure out why his friends were mad at him, and each other, he decided to get some breakfast first.