• Published 30th Sep 2020
  • 1,376 Views, 135 Comments

Yu-EQ-Gi-oh:Linked Paradox - Quillion9000



Flash Sentry has a couple of the worst days of his life and loses practically everything. Now, he must duel to reclaim what he lost.

  • ...
5
 135
 1,376

Clash:Part 1

Harmonious Element Compound: Mess Hall, Evening…
Flash, Twilight, Astral, Zack, and Blaze all stood before Celestia and Luna.

“You all did well team.” Celestia smiled. “I’m proud of your performance today, but the biggest challenges lie ahead. Let’s push forward and keep our momentum going.”

“Some of you must improve more than others.” Luna added. “Regardless of how much growth we wish to see, all of you are to report to the training hall tomorrow at nine am. For now, you are dismissed.”

Celestia and Luna took their leave. Blaze was going to do the same until Astral stood in her way.

“Oh no you don’t.” Astral declared firmly. “You have something to answer for.”

“If this is about the duel between us, you can forget it.” Blaze yawned. “I thought about it, as promised, and it wouldn’t be worth the effort.”

“That’s not what I’m talking about.” Astral stated firmly. “That is the furthest thing from my mind. What I care about is the fact that you left us while the match was still going.”

“Yeah, I did.” Blaze shrugged. “What’s your point? Flash won, so there was no harm.”

“It doesn’t matter if Flash won.” Astral stated. “Like us, he’s your teammate. You should have been there to cheer him on.”

“I don’t have the energy to argue with you.” Blaze walked off. “I’m taking my leave.”

“What happened to make you like this?” Astral grit his teeth and clenched his fist. “Don’t you care about anything?”

That last sentenced caused Blaze to stop as another voice rang out in her mind. “Life has no meaning if you don’t care.” She could still remember that beaming smile. “Promise me you’ll care. If someone with your skill cared, you could do a lot for those around you.”

“My motivations don’t concern you.” Blaze glanced back at Astral with a dangerous look. “You are content to judge me when you lack the ability to read beyond the cover. In other words, I don’t owe you an explanation, so stop looking for one.”

Astral flinched as Blaze was displaying a rare instance of rage.

Flash stepped forward. “If you’re unwilling to tell Astral, then how about me?”

“You may be the only person I consider worthy of knowing the truth.” Blaze took a deep breath before throwing a folded paper to him. “Follow the directions and come alone tonight.”

Flash clenched the paper firmly in his hand as Blaze left.

“Flash, I don’t know if this is a wise course of action.” Twilight spoke up. “Something about that look Blaze gave has me unsettled.”

“I understand Twilight, but something must change.” Flash stated. “As we’ve seen, I’m the only one Blaze seems to think is worth something, so if I don’t do something, who will?”

“He speaks with logic.” Zack stated. “Astral constantly pushed Blaze to this point. I don’t want to imagine what could come if things are left as they are.”

Twilight relented. “Just be careful Flash.”

“I will.” Flash smiled before walking off. “See you all tomorrow.”


Yugioh: Road to Quantum Opening

( watch?v=WXx21ivOCLU)

Don't you dare replace

Your first and only want

(Young Flash Sentry stares up at Flash Industries with his father and brother as Magnus ruffles their hair.)

Don't give up on the chase

Keep holding on!

(Teenage Flash is riding through Canterlot atop a duel runner before coming to a stop outside the open gates of a large complex with multiple buildings.)

Everything had gone to failure

(Young Flash stands in front of Canterlot Middle Schools statue and watches in despair as young Twilight, Fluttershy, Applejack, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash leave him going separate ways from himself and each other.)

My ambition turned into my broken dreams

(Flash is sent flying outside a building and into the grace outside as lighting arcs through the sky followed by thunder. Soon, it begins to storm on him.)

I left a promise out to die

(Flash kneels beside his younger brother, Forward Base, who is currently crying. He stands before facing Ethan with a determined expression.)

Every word I still remember

(Young Flash is standing on the roof as a young Sunset is waiting for him.)

They've been ringing in my head on full repeat

(The scene transitions to the park at night as Flash stands across from Sunset in shock while she laughs at him. His fists clench and he activate his black duel disc causing a blue energy blade to appear.)

Can't get your talk to ever leave my mind

(Young Flash is panting with tears in his eyes as he stands in the middle of his father's home office with books having been scattered. Anything that could be wrecked was.)

But now, from the clouds

There's a wind that gives me a boost

(Young Flash sits on his knees before a coffee table. Laid out before him is a blank deck of cards, his laptop, and a flash drive. He inserts the flash drive into the computer and plays a video.)

My heart, burning hard

Is about to light my fuse

(Young Flash watches as his father appears on screen. After a moment, his expression changes from sorrow and anger to a proud smile.)

(Let's try again!)

Live in the now and break your confines

Take ahold of this precious time (precious time)

(Flash is in his room as the sun shines through the window and her finishes packing his things. He tucks the blank deck into his deck box before walking out of the room.)

Glory days (glory days)

'Cause your life is not to trade

(Flash is seen walking down the sidewalk with Shadow Lock conversing happily with him before they enter a car and drive off.)

(Let's try again!)

Bring back the color as you advance

Paint it red, and then take a chance (take a chance)

(Young Flash and Shadow Lock stand across from each other in a room of the decaying Duel Sanctuary. Both wield black duel disk as Flash's blue energy blade and Shadow's black energy blade come out.)

Shout it loud (shout it loud)

'Cause your style's worth a bow

(Flash stands outside the sanctuary and stares down the stairs as he imagines a transparent version of his brother running up to meet him before he vanishes. Rather than be sad, Flash gives a small smile before walking back inside.)

Don't you dare replace

Your first and only want

(Teen Flash gets off his duel runner and looks back at the transparent version of his younger self who smiles and gives him a thumbs up before vanishing. Flash smiles and puts his hands in his pockets before walking onto the grounds of the large complex.)

Don't give up on the chase

Keep holding on!

(Flash looks up at the building as he draws closer to the entrance with a look of resolve. He stops as transparent version of the Humane 6 as their current ages appear before him. Flash nods to them before they vanish. He then walks into the building.)


Outside the Compound
Harmonious Element may be well funded, but it was understaffed. No many were willing to throw their lot in with a compound that failed many times before. There were only two guards, one for the day and one for the night, who served.

Still, each guard upheld their roles. Currently, the night guard, a dark orange skinned man with a blue mohawk and light blue eyes, was walking the perimeter of the wall when he noticed a circular, black disk hovering above the compound.

“What is that?” The guard questioned. “I should call it into Celestia.”

Just before he touched his duel disk, a tether of dark energy caught his wrist and forcibly activated the device. “Duel Mode Engaged.”

The tether visibly faded, but the security officer could feel it there. He looked in the direction the energy had come to find someone unexpected. It was a slightly rotund boy with light blue skin and orangish hair.

“Who are you?” The officer asked. “What is the meaning of this?”

“My name is Snips.” The boy was monotone. “I am looking for Flash Sentry.” The black circle above rapidly expanded into a dome which entrapped the entire compound and some of the area beyond it. “Tell me where he is?”

“I don’t think I will.” The officer stated firmly. “It’s my job to look after this place and anyone who calls it home. You can call me Spearhead, and if a duel is what you want, a duel is what you’ll get.”

“Very well.” The boy stated. “Then, I will force it out of you. Even if you do not know, the second objective will be completed.”

“We?” Spearhead asked. “You have accomplices? Also, what do you mean second objective?”

“My second objective is to test all duelists associated with this compound.” Ships declared. “I serve Lady Nightmare.”

Celestia’s Office
Luna and Celestia were finishing up some work when the whole room suddenly went dark causing them to look around. Before either of them could speak, black energy seeped into the room becoming noticeable.

“What is this?” Celestia asked.

Luna turned towards the window. “I think a better question is, what is that?”

Celestia joined her sister and they saw the black dome around their compound. In addition, the whole place had lost power and was filled with black mist. Luna held up her tablet and saw that her connection to the internet had been cut.

“Whatever this is, it’s cut our connection to the internet.” Luna pulled up her phone feature, but that didn’t even bother coming up. “With the power down, our land lines are gone and alternative means of contact are out as well.”

“Luna, go check the end of that dome while I see about rounding up the duelists.” Celestia declared.

“Right, sister.” Luna stated.

Just as they opened the doors, a portal appeared and rushed froward snatching the sisters up.

Mess Hall
Zack had been going over all the information he acquired from the duels that day while Saffron had been cleaning the kitchen for tomorrow. Then, the power went out drawing the Predaplant user’s attention.

“That’s peculiar?” Saffron screamed, so Zack ran to the kitchen. “Saffron, are you okay?”

He arrived just in time to see a tether of black energy dissipate around the chef’s arm. A dark orange dual disk with brown accents then appeared on her arm. Across from her stood a boy with yellow skin and cyan blue hair.

“Sorry Zack.” Saffron apologized. “I was just scared by this boy suddenly lashing out with that weird black rope.” She looked at him. “I’m not sure how you got in here but would you like some food while we call your guardian?”

“I don’t want food.” The boy spoke plainly. “My name is Snails, and I must know where Flash Sentry is.”

“Flash?” Saffron and Zack questioned.

Both were confused why this kid would want to know where Flash was.

“Exactly.” Snails declared. “Tell me where he is, or I will force it out of you.” He then looked at Zack. “After her, you will be next. If you tell me, I will come back later to test you per my second objective.”

Saffron tried to tug her arm back, but something was still holding her in place. “Hold on dear, I think this is all unnecessary. Why don’t you release me, and we can talk?”

“That is out of the question.” Snails concluded. “Since you refuse to say anything about Flash, I must follow objective two.”

Saffron’s duel disk activated. “Duel Mode Engaged.”

“Wait, I’m not much of a duelist.” Saffron stated. “It’s just a hobby for me.”

She obviously wasn’t against duelists by any means, but Saffron didn’t take it as seriously as most did. She was content playing the game as a hobby while devoting herself to the art of cooking. That was where her passion lied.”

“You are still a duelist within the compound, so you shall be tested.” Snails retorted.

Saffron may have been freaking out a bit, but Zack kept his composure like with any situation. “Hey, you heard the lady. She’s not really a duelist, so how about you let her go. In her place, you can take me on instead.”

“I already said that I will duel you after her.” Snails stated. “You have no say in the matter.” He then looked at Saffron. “You will not be released until our duel comes to close.”

“I’m sorry Saffron, but he seems dead set on dueling you.” Zack stated.

Saffron may have panicked, but if there was no way out of this, she’d duel. “It’s alright Zack. At least you tried.” She looked at her opponent with a nervous smile. “That said, I’m starting to think this kid is a bit different. Would you stay with me for this duel?”

“Don’t worry.” Zack nodded. “I won’t leave this kitchen.”

Saffron smiled gratefully. Celestia and Luna recruited Zack as one of their duelists, so having someone that could compete in the world league there certainly help her feel more comfortable.

Training Room
Astral and Twilight had been in the middle of another duel when the room’s lights went out prompting them to stop.

“That’s odd.” Astral commented. “Did Celestia and Luna forget to pay the electric bill?”

“That doesn’t sound like Celestia.” Twilight noticed that it had grown rather dark outside even for nighttime. “Frankly, I’m more concerned with how dark it’s become.” She walked over to the window and noticed the mist as well as the dome. “What is this?”

“Whatever this is, I don’t like it.” He suddenly shook. “Something about that black mist feels wrong.”

“Hm, I don’t feel anything.” Twilight stated.

“No matter what you losers may have felt before, you’ll now feel the pain I can invoke.” A male voice declared.

The pair turned to see that a black portal had opened behind them. Almost immediately after, two tethers of black energy shot out ensnaring their wrists. It immediately reactivated their duel disk resetting them.

“Duel Mode Engaged.”

“What?” Twilight was extremely confused. “What is this?”

A guy, roughly their age, walked out of the portal. He had dark red skin with a yellow mohawk, and pale-yellow eyes. His attire consisted of a sleeveless, dark green gi with lighting blue trim and accents. The portal closed behind him.

“Who are you?” Astral noticed that the tethers vanished, but he could still feel them. “Are you the cause of all this?”

“Just what is going on here?” Twilight asked.

“It’s not me, but the one I serve who caused this. Lady Nightmare.” The guy declared with devotion. “She mobilized all her forces. I am Garble.”

“Dude, you sound like a fanatic.” Astral stated. “Plus, what you said means nothing to us.”

“Of course, it wouldn’t.” Garble stated. “You can’t comprehend what you don’t understand while I have been enlightened. Right now, I am looking for Flash Sentry.”

“Flash!?” Twilight went wide eyed. “What do you want with him?”

“I want nothing to do with him, but Lady Nightmare is interested in his power.” Garble declared. “I can tell you know him, so tell me where he is.”

“Yeah, not happening.” Astral declared firmly. “I’ve only known the guy for over two weeks now, but I consider him a friend. If there’s one thing I’d never do, it’s turn against a friend.”

“The same goes for me.” Twilight stated. “Flash is one of the few friends I have, and I won’t betray him.”

It’s not like they knew where Flash went since Blaze had been clear about not letting them know about that paper. That said, they weren’t about to tell this guy Flash wasn’t here to begin with.

“I was hoping you’d say that.” Garble grinned maliciously. “When people resist, it makes this more fun.”

Training Arena
Celestia and Luna ended up inside the training arena only to have their arms ensnared by black tethers. Like everyone before them, these tethers vanished, and their duel disks appeared. Celestia’s was white with golden accents while Luna’s was dark blue with lighter blue accents.

“What is the meaning of this?” Luna asked.

“Sorry about this, but our owner asked us to keep you safe.” A male stated.

“We can’t let you leave.” A female voice stated. “Just like our owner, I don’t want to see any harm befall your two.”

Two figures, one male and the other female, walked out of the shadows. Both looked no older that the Duel Crusaders, and they had black duel disks with gray highlights. The guy wore a dark grey mask featuring four, black stripes and eyes.

He wore a black coat with a high collar and hood. The girl wore the same kind of mask and cloak; however, hers were purple. Upon closer inspection, the color of their cloaks and mask features matched the card boarders of Xyz and Fusion monsters respectively.

“Who are you two?” Celestia asked. “Are you responsible for what happened to our compound?”

“No, we are not.” The girl replied. “I am Fusion and he’s Xyz.”

“Our teammate, Synchro, is out there to apprehend at least one of the true culprit’s while our owner is to face the one responsible.” Xyz replied. “As things stand now, you need not know more on our objectives.”

“All you need to be made aware of is this.” Fusion stated. “Right now, this arena is sealed to keep you safe. If you want out, you’ll have to defeat us. Fail, and you will only be allowed out when the threat is dealt with.”

“What do you make of this sister?” Luna asked.

“I’m not sure, but I know one thing.” Celestia replied. “If these two are separate from the ones that caused this, then our duelists may very well be in trouble. Especially since they went through the trouble of doing this to us. I think we have no choice.”

“I suppose we don’t.” Luna turned her attention to their opponents. “We will duel you.”

“If that is your wish, we shall oblige.” Xyz declared.

Outside
A white duel board shot out of a black portal. Atop that board, there was a boy no older than team Duel Crusaders. He had the same duel disk as his teammates. The guy wore a dark grey mask with four, white stripes and matching eyes. He wore a white coat and hood.

“Alright, where are those agents of Nightmare’s?” The guy questioned to himself.

He noticed a black tether coming at him from the right and let it hit him before jumping off his board to see Sunset standing there. “If you’re looking for agents of Lady Nightmare, then you just found one.”

“Lady Nightmare.” The kid scoffed. “Listen to yourself assigning a tittle to that demon. She has you under her spell.”

“I’m under no one’s spell.” Sunset retorted. “She saved my life and gave me the power to take revenge for all that I lost. Can you honestly say your people are any different? I know Sombra offered you all something to come work for him.”

“Sombra may have taken on qualities of Nightmare Moon, but I can tell you one thing.” The guy declared. “If I had to choose who to serve now knowing what I do, I’d pick Sombra every time. At least with him the bad will punished and there’s a chance he won’t fall to the darkness.”

“Can’t say I didn’t try kid.” Sunset stated. “Looks like…”

Suddenly, someone threw a smoke bomb which enveloped Sunset. When it cleared, she was off to the side while another had taken her place in the link. It was another teenage girl with blue skin, light blue hair, and purple eyes. She wore a blue hoodie and purple skirt.

“Trixie, what is the meaning of this?” Sunset asked.

“Sorry Sunset, but this kid is mine.” Trixie smirked. “I’m tired of looking for opponents when one is right here to show how great and powerful I am. Plus, aren’t you looking for that certain someone?”

“Flash Sentry.” Sunset clenched her fist. “Fine, you can have the brat.” She walked off. “Probably wouldn’t have been worth my time anyways.”

She was gone.

“She shouldn’t judge a duelist by his age.” The boy shook his head. “Either way, I don’t care who I got to duel.” He looked at Trixie. “You’ve been tainted by Nightmare all the same.”

“You really don’t seem to understand how much further Nightmare can push our skills.” Trixie smirked. “I was already a master duelist before, but with her powers, I’m unbeatable.”

“Your overconfidence will be your downfall.” The boy declared. “My name is Synchro, and I will be the one taking you down.”

Dorm Rooftop
Sombra walked out of a black portal and looked at the dome immediately knowing that what his ring sensed had been correct. Nightmare was making moves. Considering his love was here, he had to make a stand.

“Nightmare!” Sombra yelled. “I know you are here, so show yourself!”

A portion of the mist came up to the roof and formed into the vaguely woman shape. “Sombra, what are you doing here? When you released me, you, your love, and your daughter could live as long as you stayed out of my way. Are you really here to reject that kindness?”

“What kindness is there in what you did?” Sombra questioned. “You erased her memories and left our daughter without a mother. At the time, I would have traded my life for her memories, but now I stand before you ready to take it all back.”

“Do you honestly think you can beat me?” Nightmare asked.

“Maybe not, but I’m willing to try.” Sombra’s ring glowed with dark magic as a cage was erected around them. “With this ring, I can survive this game while garnering all the info I need to devise a better deck.”

“You grow to be a thorn in my side.” Nightmare declared. “That is why, I will see you destroyed for your insolence.”

“I welcome you to try demon.” A dark aura flared up around Sombra. “I walked deeper yet deeper into the darkness preparing for this confrontation. I found people I could trust to walk that same road. Together, we will see you fall.”

“What will you do if I’m gone?” Nightmare asked. “At this time, I am the object of your hatred, but the darkness you walked into has been tainted by your negative emotions. Can you say you will be better than I?”

“Do not take me for a child.” Sombra declared. “I have had years to study dark magic. I’m willing to take the risks.”

“Very well.” Nightmare stated. “I’ll show you the power I wield.”

Warehouse District
Flash had left the compound atop his D-Wheel, Black Phoenix, and had rode into the formerly abandoned warehouse district. His grandfather had done a lot of harm to Canterlot leaving part of the city a mess. A mess that lasted years after his father took over the company.

With diligence and help, Flash Magnus had restored this city to what it had been before Aura Flash. In fact, he made it better than ever. Thanks to Magnus, people didn’t have to fear entering the part of the city. People that had been considering moving out had stuck around.

As he rode through this section of the city, one thought crossed Flash’s mind. “Why did Blaze call me out here of all places? Does she have a history out here? Oh god! Please don’t tell me this is another Sunset situation. I swear if I see any dark magic, I’m riding out.”

Look, he was prepared to duel Sunset in another shadow game, but Blaze’s skills were on a whole other level. He wasn’t prepared to take that chance yet. He resolved to stay on his duel runner just in case a quick retreat was needed.

Flash rode into the courtyard before a warehouse which was surrounded by a fence. Blaze was staring at the warehouse as the knight user pulled up a few feet behind her keeping his engine on. She turned to face him.

“Hello Flash.” Blaze stated with her usual tone. “Good of you to make it.”

“Yeah.” Flash was tensed and scanning his environment. “I need to fix things between our team. You and Astral are at each other’s throat while Twilight and Zack don’t seem to think highly of you.”

“An apt observation.” Blaze nodded. “You know, I’ve accurately read every duelist I’ve come across. I know how challenging they can be. I know weather I’ll win or lose, but I couldn’t initially tell with you, I assumed you’d be a challenge.”

Flash relaxed a bit. “Now that you mention it, you didn’t speak with certainty.”

“The more I saw you, I came to realize something.” Blaze stated. “You hold similar ideals to Astral without being like him. Your emotions are more tempered. Perhaps that’s part of the reason I’m fond of you. Perhaps even enough to call you a friend.”

“Where is this all leading?” Flash contemplated.

“You know, this place is the first memory I have.” Blaze stated. “In a sense, you could say that this is where I was born.”

“I’m sorry, but you lost me.” Flash stated. “What are you talking about Blaze?”

“Before waking up here, the only memories I have are fuzzy.” Blaze replied. “I think I was in some sort of lab.” She shook her head. “Beyond that, all I had when I woke up was a name. Blaze Sol. I’m not even sure if that’s actually my name.”

“I didn’t realize you had lost your memory.” Flash stated.

“It’s not like I advertise that fact.” Blaze held out her duel disk. “If you want to know more, you must duel and defeat me. What do you say?”

This didn’t seem to be a shadow game, so with some trepidation, Flash got off his duel runner. “Alright, I’ll duel you for the information.”

The pair moved to a perfect spot for their duel and activated their duel disks.

Harmonious Element Compound
After leaving Trixie and the white coated duelist, Sunset decided to check the dorms just in case Flash had any ideas of interrupting Lady Nightmare’s duel with Sombra. She stopped next to Omega who was leaning against a tree.

“Omega.” Sunset glanced at him with an untrustworthy stare. “It’s been a while since we’ve seen you. Are you here to lend your skills to the effort?”

“Who? Me?” Omega laughed. “Good one Sunset, but we know my roll is not to duel. Well, you only know as much as I’ve told Nightmare and suspect wrong ideas about me. Hey, that’s the cards you’ve been dealt my friend.”

“Get to the point already.” Sunset growled. “What do you want?”

“I want nothing, but you want to duel Flash.” Omega held out a hand causing a black and white portal to appear. “If you step in, you’ll find him.”

“Why should I trust you?” Sunset asked.

“It’s no skin off my bones if you trust me or not.” He turned into black and white particles which dissipated. “Just know, I want you to duel Flash as much as you want to duel him.”

Sunset clenched her fist before walking into the portal which vanished soon after.

Just Outside the Compound, Night…
Spearhead glanced at the dome around the compound before settling his eyes on Snips. The boy literally seemed to have no emotion in his eyes or on his face. Dark energy, exactly like that of the dome, was visible around him as a mist.

“The second objective is now to be my main focus.” Snips stated. “Test all duelists associated with this compound. Prepare to duel.”

“Doesn’t seem like I have much of a choice.” Spearhead looked back at the compound. “Then again, I suppose I wouldn’t make any other choice if given one.”

“Let’s Duel!”

(Spear 4000/Snips 4000)

“I shall go first.” Snips declared. “I set one card and end my turn.”

“He goes first yet sets a single card?” Spear contemplated. “That’s probably one strong card, but I must take this chance to get ahead.” He drew. “Alright Shining, let’s see how good this deck you helped me build is.”

The guard nodded. “You’re going to regret not playing more. Since I control no monsters, I can special summon Junk Forward(LV 3/900/1500).” A warrior in light brown with red trim armor appeared. “Next, I normal summon Super Quantum Green Layer(LV 4/1600/1400).”

A figure in green armored robes appeared. “When this card is summoned, I can special summon a Super Quant card from my hand. Come on out Super Quantum Blue Layer(LV 3/1200/2000).” A figure in blue armor appeared.

“That’s not all. Green Layer’s summon also allows me to special summon Kagetokage(LV 4/1100/1500).” A shadowy lizard in the ground appeared. “Now, I construct the overlay network with Junk Forward and Blue Layer.

I call upon the power of the twin dolphin, ocean power! Xyz summon Super Quantal Mech Beast Grampulse(R/O 2/1800/2800).” Two large machine dolphins appeared. “That’s not all as I construct the overlay network once more with Kagetokage and Green Layer.”

I call upon the power of the great bird, air power! Xyz summon Super Quantal Mech Beast Aeroboros(R 4/O 2/2200/2400).” A large, green flying machine appeared. “That shall do for my summons.”

“Impressive.” Snips declared plainly. “Two Xyz Summons puts you above most average duelists.”

“Did someone strip this kid of his emotion, or is he like Blaze? Guess there’s only one way to find out.” Spear held out his hand. “Grampulse attack Snips directly with Roaring Torrent!”

Grampulse generated a wave beneath itself and sent the water at Snips (Spear 4000/Snips 2200). Snips was still standing, but the tether reappeared before a surge of black electricity moved straight into Snips who screamed in pain.

“What?” Spear questioned in confusion and concern. “Kid, are you okay? What’s going on?”

“I’m fine.” Snips shook his head as the tether vanished once more. “This tether is known as a shadow tether. When used, the duelists are conscripted into a shadow game where any damage we take is followed by pain.”

“Shadow game?” Spear’s eyes went wide. “You mean like those games rumored to have happened throughout the course of history?”

“The same.” Snips stated. “Except, Lady Nightmare made a noticeable change in her shadow games. If you show enough skill, or are physically strong enough, you survive the loss. Those rules are circumnavigated for the two she wants.”

“This Lady Nightmare put this kid up to something this dangerous?” Spear thought shocked. “Who does that? Better question. Can I even do this to the kid?”

“I can see what you’re thinking in your eyes, and no ‘noble sacrifice’ will save me.” Snips declared. “If you give up, I’ll simply move onto the next duelist after you. Eventually, we will take Flash Sentry as initially intended.”

“That’s right. I can’t lose sight of what’s important.” Spear thought. “This duelist, and his comrades, are here to kidnap a duelist of Harmonious Element. Not to mention, they intend to bring pain to those I swore to protect. No matter what, I can’t back down.”

“Good.” Snips stated. “You have gained your resolve so finish the duel.”

“Yeah, I have.” Spear stated. “Aeroboros attack Snips with Raging Tempest!”

The green machine flapped its wing generating a powerful wind that shot at Snips.

“I activate my face down Draining Shield.” Snips countered. “This negates your attack and grants me life points equal to your monster’s ATK (Spear 4000/Snips 4400).”

“Should have known it wouldn’t be that easy.” Spear stated. “I’ll set two cards before turning things over to you.”

“My turn.” Snips drew. “Since you control more monsters than me, I can normal summon Arisen Gaia the Fierce Knight(LV 7/2300/2100) without tributing.” A blue skinned man in black armor sat atop a purple steed.

“A Fierce Knight?” Spear thought. “Is he playing it pure or with Black Lusters?”

“Since I control a warrior with a level of at least 7, I can special summon Gaia Lance(LV 1/0/0).” A red lance appeared. “This monster is a tuner meaning I can use him to give Arisen a tune up to Synchro for 8. Knight who loses his steed to garner abilities of the ritual appears.

Synchro summon Gaia Lancer Knight(LV 8/3000/2600).” A man in full purple and gold armor appeared wielding two lances. “When he’s synchro summoned, I can add a Black Luster monster and ritual spell to my hand.”

“That answers my question, and it means this duel just got twice as difficult.” Spear thought.

“That’s not all.” Snips continued. “Lancer can act as the full requirement for any Ritual summon. With that in mind, I’m activating Super Soldier Ritual granting me access to any Black Luster ritual monster if I tribute monsters from my field or hand.

Not only that, but the monsters I send must equal 8 levels. I’ll send Gaia Lancer Knight. Solider of might heed my call and aid me with your power. Ritual summon Black Luster Soldier - Super Soldier(LV 8/3000/2500).” A soldier in blue, silver, and red armor appeared.

“Well, this is rather troubling.” Spear commented.

“You are right to think that.” Snips stated. “Go Super Soldier. Attack Grampulse with Super Slash (Spear 2800/Snips 4400).” The bolt of black electricity surged into Spear causing him to scream in pain.

“When Super Soldier destroys a monster by battle and sends it to the grave, you lose life points equal to its ATK (Spear 1000/Snips 4400).” Another bolt shot into Spear bringing him agony and down to his knees. “I then set one card.”

“Damnit.” Spear was still on his knees panting heavily. “This strength reminds of Blaze, and he’s only a pawn.” Spear punched the ground. “In that case, I can’t afford to lose. I refuse to lose.” He stood and drew. “My move!

First, I’m activating Roll of Fate. This card allows me to roll a dice and draw that many cards, but I must then send an equal number of cards from the top of my deck to the grave. Let’s roll that dice.” The dice was rolled and came up a two.

“I draw two cards and send two cards to the grave. One of the cards I sent through this effect was one of my Red Layers. When he’s sent to the grave, I can target a Super Quant monster within the grave and special summon them to the field except for Red Layer.

I’ll choose Super Quantum Blue Layer(LV 3/1200/2000). I’ll immediately tribute her to summon my second Super Quantum Red Layer(LV 5/Warrior/2000/800).” A muscular warrior in red armor appeared.

“When he’s summoned, I can target a super Quant monster in my grave and add it to my hand. That’s not all. Since I control at least one monster with 2000 or more ATK, I can special summon Overlay Booster(LV 5/2000/0).” A warrior in red armor appeared.

“Now, I construct the overlay network with Red Layer and Overlay Booster. I call upon the power of the fierce lion, land power! Xyz summon Super Quantal Mech Beast Magnaliger(R 5/O 2/2600/2000).” A large, red machine lion appeared roaring.

“Next, I’m activating my first face down Xyz Reborn allowing me to target an Xyz monster in my grave and special summon it back to my field. In addition, this trap shall become an overlay unit for that monster. Return Super Quantal Mech Beast Grampulse(R/O 1/1800/2800).

I now activate the effect of Grampulse and Magnaliger. By detaching an overlay unit from Grampulse, he destroys a spell/trap card on the field. By detaching an overlay unit from Magnaliger, I can destroy one monster you control.”

Super Quantal Mech Beast Magnaliger(R 5/O 1/2600/2000)
Super Quantal Mech Beast Grampulse(R/O 0/1800/2800)

“I have nothing further to defend myself.” Snips stated.

“Don’t you care that with my next attack, you will lose?” Spear asked. “This game we play isn’t your average game. You should know that better than me. Doesn’t a loss impact you at all?”

“I have no opinion on losing or winning.” Snips stated. “My goal was to test your power, and I have done that.”

“I’m sorry.” Spear grit his teeth. “Magnaliger and Aeroboros attack Snips directly. Go Volcanic Impact and Raging Tempest!”

Aeroboros sent wind at Snips while Magnaliger caused an eruption of fire to come up below him. The attacks were followed by the black electricity causing the boy to scream in agony (Spear 1000/Snips 0). The tether then disappeared into black particles before Snips fell back.

“Please be okay.” Spear ran over to the boy. “Be skilled or strong enough.” He stopped at the body turned into dark particles which dissipated. “Damn it!” He looked at the dome above. “I don’t know who you are Nightmare, but you can’t use kids like this.”

He ran back towards the compound moving as fast as his current state would allow. As much as he’d like to search for this Nightmare, see if she were around, he had to focus on the safety of the people first.