• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 4,414 Views, 59 Comments

Windigo Whisperer - Misty Shadow



What would you do if you were a human who could communicate with Windigos?

  • ...
17
 59
 4,414

Magic of Willpower

“Hoo hoo hoo…” a familiar figure watching the news in a distant realm laughed in response to Sombra’s joke. “This is quite the jam…”

The figure then stuffed a peanut butter sandwich inside of a strawberry jam jar before emptying the entire jar inside of his mouth, chewing the contents inside before swallowing them.

“Oh, Celestia…” he said to himself in a dejected tone of voice as he got ready to leave his home. “If only you would allow me to fix this mess with a snap…I don’t want them to suffer either...but I do have faith...”

Meanwhile, the broadcast with Sombra’s interview continued as the news crew pulled themselves together from their split sides.

“Moving on…” Fax First commented. “Sombra, I would like to know your personal opinion on where we should go from here. If you don’t hold the Elements in contempt, does that mean you won’t be pressing charges against them for homicide?”

“You know what they say, life’s too short.” Sombra joked once more. “Obviously, something needs to be done about this. But before we jump to conclusions or do anything reckless, I believe we should get their side of the story first.”

“...Really?” Rainbow Dash and Fax responded in bemusement.

“I mean, yes, of course!” Fax quickly corrected himself, remembering to keep up the act. “This calls for some investigative journalism! Fair Press!”

“Yes?” the same purple-haired, yellow mare who recorded Rainbow Dash answered.

“Call up Twilight Sparkle right now and ask if she wants to come here for an interview.” Fax ordered. “You should already know what to do if she refuses, heh heh.”

“You got it boss, ha ha.” she replied gleefully.

Fax winked at her and she winked back, making Rainbow and Cloud suspicious.

“Something smells fishy…” Rainbow thought. “I’ve been so shocked about the totally weird way Sombra’s been acting that I haven’t had time to appreciate how well these “unbiased” reporters are taking it and rolling along with it…”

“Did Sombra have a part in staging this that he didn’t tell me about?” Cloud wondered to himself in thought. “It doesn’t seem like that. That “reporter” is obviously a paid actor, but he and his crew seemed genuinely startled by Sombra’s appearance. Could it be they were told something about him coming back by another party and just didn’t know how to handle it in actuality? But as far as I know, only the rulers of Equestria knew about Sombra…”

While Rainbow and Cloud were musing, Celestia and Luna also had thoughts of their own about what was transpiring on national television. Each of them were in their own office, where Celestia was doing paperwork regarding decisions about historical preservation and Luna was doing paperwork regarding decisions about law enforcement.

“My faithful student…” Celestia thought solemnly, knowing that Twilight would surely appear on the news for an interview. “I hope you are able to catch onto the fact that we have been forced to give you a new test…”

“Sombra…” an agitated Luna thought as she gave the TV in her office a frustrated glare. “I hope you are merely feigning this jocular, nonchalant attitude...we are in a dire situation here...and we take no pleasure in the things we’ve been forced to do…”

Both Celestia and Luna were crestfallen over the fact that someone was on their way to Cloudsdale knowing they would be sacrificed for the greater good…

Back where the news crew was stationed, the broadcast had called for an intermission as the reporters awaited Twilight’s arrival. Sombra had taken advantage of this opportunity to talk to Cloud within the realm of his soul once more.

“So what are we doing back here again, might I ask?” a weary Cloud questioned.

“I don’t know, I guess I just like the flame.” Sombra jested, looking over at the purple fire. “Judging from the look on your face back then, it seems you do too.”

Cloud began to blush again, only this time, it was out of both embarrassment and anger.

“Would you quit making STUPID JOKES LIKE THAT?!” he cried, venting his frustration. “I don’t care if you’re just joking, I’m a human and you’re a horse! It’s not appropriate!”

“Of course I’m only joking.” an unphased Sombra replied truthfully. “My broken heart belonged to another, I shall never love again. But I must ask you, why are you angry? I sensed no agitation from you the first time. The first time, it was broadcast all over Equestria. Now, we are where no one can hear us.”

“Because I don’t care what other people think…” Cloud answered, clutching a foreleg abashedly. “But now, we’re inside my personal space where I just want to escape from the world and my worries. You should know that I’m very self-conscious of my fear that...maybe my love for you has gone too far…”

“So that’s why you didn’t want to believe it was me that was inside of you.” Sombra replied in realization. “Fear not, my feeble subject. The love that comes from your will and the fairy tale love you often hear of are not the same. Unlike the masses I am toying with, you will be informed of the fact that Equestria’s foolish idea of love is not the way.”

“I knew something was off about the goofy way you were acting…” Cloud said with his hoof on his face. “But I don’t understand. You have your dark magic, why did you need to tell them we were “soulmates”?”

“Because prattling about the wonders of “love” to those who don’t understand it is the most effective way to manipulate fragile minds without dark magic.” Sombra answered deviously. “Obviously, with Celestia and Luna watching, I can’t just use my dark magic. Thus, I’ve devised another way to control the Equestrian population without anyone ever knowing…”

“...Are you using me to take over Equestria?” Cloud asked suspiciously.

“How can I do such a thing?” Sombra argued. “Celestia and Luna are still watching to ensure that I do Twilight no harm. It seems you’ve forgotten they’re not in charge anymore, Twilight is. This is all simply part of a test to see what she will do under a new kind of pressure. The kind your world is all too familiar with, ha ha.”

“Why are they doing this?” an inquisitive Cloud asked. “All of this seems so...uncanny, uncharacteristic of them. Does this have something to do with the Windigos?”

“You catch on quick, good.” Sombra complimented. “No one else knows, but those Windigos are masters of manipulation. The one who directs them from the darkness, he has honestly fooled Celestia and Luna with a most deceptive disguise into believing that he is a...god of love.”

“What in the world?!” Cloud cried in shock. “They never told me anything about them having a boss! Are you saying that the Windigos know someone like you is on their trail because it’s part of their trap?!”

“Exactly why only I could serve the role as their agent, being the only one who could possibly hope to outmaneuver them.” Sombra replied boastfully. “I am no one’s pawn. I will prove myself superior to all. I will combat the order these Windigos have planned with my own.”

“Order?” Cloud pondered. “Regardless of what that means, I am definitely going to have a stern conversation with those three soon, oh boy…”

“I already know what you want to do.” Sombra interjected, being able to read him. “You want to confront them and get some actual answers, but you should know they’ll just play games with one as wishy-washy as you. That’s where I come in, ha ha.”

“Are you going to share your power with me?” Cloud asked curiously.

“I’ve never been a freeloader…” Sombra remarked in amusement, returning to making quips. “You’ve already received some of my power. In times of great frustration and distress, your anger spills out of your eyes, taking the form of my dark magic. Though you’ve not taken note of it, others have. But even they don’t know why it happens...they don’t know what I’ve told you, that the magic of willpower is real.”

“...Well, at least it sounds less corny than the magic of friendship.” Cloud said with a goofy grin, rubbing the back of his neck.

“Don’t even get me started.” Sombra replied in unamusement, giving him a deadpan stare. “I was not defeated by the “magic of friendship” and Twilight knows it. I was overpowered by Discord’s will passed onto them.”

“...W-Wait a minute!” Cloud exclaimed in surprise. “Does that mean…?!”

“I’ve said enough for now.” Sombra interjected. “If it’s more information you seek, you already know who you should be getting it out of. Meanwhile, I need to get myself ready to meet a princess...”

With that, Cloud found himself outside of the realm of his soul and back in Cloudsdale where the news crew was.

“I can’t talk to those Windigos here, it’s too risky.” he thought to himself, cautiously assessing the situation. “If one of those slimy reporters overhears or, heaven forbid, records something, I’m screwed. I have to get far away from here and talk to them in private, stat!”

“Wait!” Rainbow Dash suddenly exclaimed. “Where are you going, Cloud?”

“.....” Cloud paused despite his feeling of urgency, as Rainbow’s question was exactly what he wanted to ask himself. Where was he going? No matter how far away he was willing to fly, there would still linger that sense of worry that he was being watched. A sense of worry...mixed with guilt.

He knew what provoked Rainbow to record him. He felt that maybe, just maybe, if he had trusted Rainbow with his emotions more, things wouldn’t have gotten this muddled and messed up. He certainly wasn’t going to hide what he was feeling from the Windigos, so why hide what he was feeling from Rainbow? He felt that it was time to finally start opening up, so he answered with how he honestly felt…

“I really don’t know. I’m just really tired of everything right now. I just want to go to a quiet place by myself and forget about all this.”

“Me too…” Rainbow apparently concurred. “Except I don’t want to be away from all this by myself, I want to be away from all this with my friends...and that includes you.”

“I thought you didn’t like me.” Cloud bluntly replied.

“I was just saying something I didn’t really mean then in anger.” Rainbow rebutted defensively. “Friends quarrel, and of course there are times where they feel they dislike each other, but real friends always make up in the end. Do you think my other friends have never gotten mad at me? Please! I wouldn’t blame them for losing it with me after I made that situation with Sombra even worse. And I made your situation worse by accidentally exposing your secret. So go ahead and let me have it like you should’ve back at the house.”

“I really should…” Cloud said sincerely. “But the funny thing is, I’m not just sucking down my emotions. There’s a real part of me that honestly doesn’t want to yell at you...because I don’t want to hurt your feelings.”

“...Heh heh heh…” Rainbow laughed, knowing that Cloud was honest about his good intentions while also seeing the error in his ways.

“What’s so funny?” Cloud asked, curiously unamused.

“I just remembered how I got on you about having worse social skills than Fluttershy in the past…” Rainbow explained herself. “Did you know that Fluttershy also had to learn that kindness isn’t always what it appears to be? You think you’re being nice to me by sparing my feelings, but being somepony’s friend isn’t just about caring for their feelings...friendship is also about sharing your feelings.”

“...I understand what you mean.” Cloud replied solemnly, trying to mask his flustered state.

“I do get where she’s coming from…” he thought nervously. “But there’s just no way I can show her just how angry I really felt...because I know that kind of anger is not normal. I know she genuinely wants to be my friend, but if I truly open up to her about everything...and she becomes forever repulsed by me...no. I can’t do that. I’m not ready for that hell. I’ve not accepted myself yet...nor have I accepted this anger that haunts me yet…”

*FWOOM*

And as Cloud admitted his weaknesses in his heart, the flame in his soul began to grow stronger.

“Hnnnh...wh-what is this sensation?!” he exclaimed in his mind that was suddenly purged of doubt as an aura of warmth came over him. “I feel...better. I feel...energized. I feel like I can...take on anything now!”

“Are...you okay, dude?” Rainbow asked in concern, wondering why Cloud had gone so quiet before she started getting a weird feeling from his aura.

“Yes, I’m better than ever!” Cloud cried with vigor in response. “Rainbow, I need you to hold the fort while I’m gone! I’m not holding anything down anymore, I really have fully forgiven you! That’s why I trust you and your friends to not let those hack news ponies beat you!”

“Really?” Rainbow replied amusedly, blushing. “Thanks man, I’m flattered! But one more thing I need to tell you before you go is that, um…”

“Um, what?” a perplexed Cloud asked.

“Though I think it’s really weird whatever’s going on with you and Sombra…” Rainbow confessed, the blushes on her cheeks growing redder. “I want you to know that I accept it...and even find it kind of hot…”

“.......” Cloud just gave Rainbow the blankest stare he could with his eyes squinting.

“What, it’s normal for girls to like that kind of thing!” Rainbow exclaimed in defense. “I’ve never claimed to be totally innocent!”

Back at Rainbow’s house, the curious trio of pegasi were looking at the latest issue of Playmare Dash had hidden under her pillow in astonishment.

“Woah…” Billy remarked.

Score made a wolf whistle.

“Dude, it’s other dudes!” Hoops exclaimed at an embarrassed Score.

Back where Cloud and Rainbow were, Cloud was also embarrassed over Rainbow’s view of him and Sombra. So much that he blurted out…

“AW, SHUCKS RAINBOW! I GET SHARING YOUR FEELINGS, BUT YOU CAN KEEP A FEW THINGS TO YOURSELF, YOU KNOW!”

Cloud didn’t take another moment to hesitate, immediately flying away as fast as he could to find the most inconspicuous spot he could to speak with the Windigos.

“Hoo hoo hoo…” a familiar laugh came from a figure who had transformed himself into a cloud so that he could secretly watch all the fun unfold. “I wonder how long it will take him to figure out that the best secret spot is a lot closer than he thinks…”

Meanwhile, Fax First and Sombra had been passing the time by reading letters brought to the station by Derpy Hooves in PNN’s news van. The letters were from ponies all across Equestria who had seen the most recent broadcast and had wasted no time in sharing their reaction to it.

“No brakes for the hype train!” Fax exclaimed gleefully as he scooped up the letters and tossed them up for fun. “The princesses’ plan was perfect!”

“No,” a confidently smiling Sombra dissented, “it won’t be perfect until Twilight seals the deal…heh heh.”

He knew that Twilight, who had just arrived on the scene with Fluttershy by her side for support, was about to make her first very important decision as the new leader of Equestria, one that would change the world forever…

Author's Note:

I hope this chapter fully cleared up the misperceptions some had about the last chapter. However, whatever you may dislike about this story, please share with me. Tell me what you read the story for if the current direction concerns you, for your feedback does matter to me and is always appreciated. :heart: