• Published 15th Aug 2020
  • 4,410 Views, 59 Comments

Windigo Whisperer - Misty Shadow



What would you do if you were a human who could communicate with Windigos?

  • ...
17
 59
 4,410

Origin

In an ancient Equestrian legend, it is told that two millenniums ago, the land was ravaged by a malevolent demon named Belohzhero. He assaulted the land with endless waves of snowstorms and spared none who dared to confront him his wrath. The ones he struck down, their souls are said to have become the wind beasts known as Windigos, and they too joined in his destruction once he found control over their hearts. It seemed there would be no hope for Equestria ever defeating such a foe, until an unnamed group of friends discovered the one thing that could bring him down...warmth.

This warmth is what banished Belohzhero to the ice in the far reaches of the North where he remains today, leading the Windigos to pass on to the world after. But their spirits can very much still find their way back to the living world, manifesting as invisible apparitions. And Equestria is not the only living world they can return to either...

Contrary to popular misconception, the Windigos are not hive-minded. Some only return to Equestria as visible apparitions in times of great civil unrest, seeking vengeance upon the world where they were cruelly killed, while others quietly watch beings from other worlds in an attempt to understand warmth. They can explore the souls of other beings, searching for the fire that sparked the hearts of the ones who took down Belohzhero.

Yes, since no pony of Equestria’s peaceful times of today would allow them into their hearts, trust them with the secret of the fire, or understand their hardship of ancient times, they instead seek out creatures who have had to find their own source of warmth. Creatures who have had to numb themselves and repress their contempt in a world that is still dark, cold, and hateful in order to survive...humans. The stronger hate in the hearts of humans fuels their power more efficiently, giving them the ability to create heat as well as cold.

One night, three Windigos find a human with a fire that fascinates them so much, they get a devious idea. They decide to make direct contact for the first time...this is where our story begins...

*RING* *RING*

“Ugh!” the human, a blonde-haired man with glasses, grunted upon looking at his cell phone, seeing that the caller ID was from “Unknown Caller”. “Right when I want to relax! It’s not like I only have three days off!”

He angrily swiped the phone to “Ignore Call” and tossed the phone on the couch. He was in the living room of his apartment on the second floor, attempting to relax on the night of his first day off from work for the week. He was drinking hot coffee despite it being 8:00 in the evening and was still dressed in his street clothes, a black King Sombra T-shirt and black Nike shorts, despite having no plans to go out for the night.

“I don’t even have any friends at work…” he grumpily muttered to himself as he sat down on the couch with a cup of hot coffee in hand. “...and I’m getting calls from strangers on my days off!”

Little did the man know though that the call he just received wasn’t from just any stranger...a ghostly-like, equine figure holding a cell phone hovered close to the sliding glass door that led to the porch. He peered through the door and glared at the man, reminiscing on what he knew about him…as well as what he didn’t know about him from his time watching him.

The man’s name was Ken, and there was little to note about him other than the fact that he was an irritable recluse. Outside his home, he was calm and nice to everyone he met, but by himself, he was ill-tempered and bitter. His job was a simple 4 x 10 shift packing at a warehouse, he had no hobbies outside of gaming, drawing, and writing, and no dreams for the future other than a slim hope of being able to get his art and stories recognized one day. That being a dream he hardly believed in or embraced, his only true desire in life was to live a quiet life of solitude.

Unfortunately for him, even that desire would not be fulfilled, for his worst fear was about to be realized...the fear of being pulled outside of his comfort zone…

“What the-?!” Ken exclaimed as he felt a sudden chill run through his body.

The room was warm, yet he couldn’t feel the warmth like he had mere moments ago. Suddenly, a broom that had been placed against the wall in his kitchen fell to the floor for no apparent reason, giving him a bad premonition.

“O...kay…” he said to himself in a worried tone of voice. “I’ll just see if it’s actually warmer outside…”

With his coffee still in hand, he went outside to the porch and shut the screen door behind him. As it turned out, it actually was warmer outside.

“Heh.” he chuckled to himself, musing over what just happened, gripping the safety bar by the ledge of the porch with his free hand. “I’ve always wanted to believe in ghosts, but even I know that there’s always a logical explanation when something like that happens. The timing may have been freaky, but it was probably just-huh?”

Ken was about to take a sip of his coffee, but nothing came to his lips. Looking down into the cup, he was aghast to see that the brown liquid...was now frozen solid.

“HOW DID…” he said fearfully, being at a loss for words.

“Kkkeeennn…”

A ghostly calling of his name in a deep voice, he could hear from behind. Turning around, he saw the foreleg of a creature passing through the screen door. Through the glass, he saw...a Windigo.

“AAAAAHHHHH!” he yelled in terror. “AH-AH-WHOA!”

He lost his balance in a panic and flipped over the safety bar of the ledge. His cup fell to the ground and shattered, but with one hand, he was able to grab the edge of the floor below the bar just in time and hang onto the balcony.

“WHAT IS THAT THING?!” he shrieked. “SOMEBODY, HELP!”

“We’ll save you!” someone with a female voice from below called out.

“Thank goodness!” a reassured Ken exclaimed before he turned around. “I-!”

His relief turned to dread once he saw two Windigos below him holding out their forelegs.

“No…” he said defeatedly before a sudden chill in his fingers made him lose his grip, causing him to fall.

“AAAAAGGGGGHHHHH!” he screamed as he fell before everything went black…

...and cold. The next thing Ken knew, he was walking towards the only light in a space of pitch-black darkness, a fire that three Windigos were pitched around.

“What is this place?!” Ken asked indignantly. “WHO AND WHAT ARE YOU THINGS?!”

“This is the inside of your soul.” one Windigo with a deep, male voice answered. “And we are Windigos, spirits from the world of Equestria who wander yours in search of warmth.”

Ken slapped himself.

“This isn’t a dream…” he said anxiously. “If this is my soul, does that mean I’m DEAD?!”

“Well, you did fall from the ledge of a second-story structure…” one with a softer male voice answered.

“Aero!” one with a female voice exclaimed in disapproval before she turned to Ken. “Please forgive my friend, you’re not dead...technically.”

“WHAT’S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?!” Ken screamed, startling her.

“Nice one, Aera.” Aero taunted her, chuckling as she rolled her eyes.

“Allow me to intervene,” chimed in the one with a deep voice, “for it seems my comrades are ill-acquainted with the practice of making proper introductions.”

“Aren’t you the one who came through the screen door?!” Ken thought, baffled by his lack of self-awareness.

“My name is Aeros,” he continued, “and as you may have already guessed, these are my comrades, Aera and Aero. Rest assured, you are not dead. Your body is simply out of commission.”

“Gee, that takes a load off my mind…” Ken retorted sarcastically. “What is with you guys? Why in the world did you just appear to me out of nowhere?!”

“We tried to call you.” Aero said meekly.

“And we tried to save you.” Aera interjected. “But since we’re not of your world, there was only so much we could do. Your body is physical, we’re not. Thus why we’re here, trying to keep you alive by warming the fire of your soul.”

“Warm?” Ken questioned in bemusement. “But I was getting chills. You froze my coffee solid!”

“I know it’s hard to believe from what you’ve seen of us in that show-” Aeros prepared to explain before Ken interrupted him.

“I don’t believe in characters from a fictional TV show coming to life.”

He was gritting his teeth the entire time he said that.

“I don’t believe we are fictional characters from a show coming to life either.” Aeros stated. “I was merely addressing the source of your misperception. If the world of Equestria was created by the imagination of humans, the fact would not perturb me, for I have no love for the world of Equestria. Call us fiction if you will, but know that fiction is inspired by reality. We all know that the pain we felt when we died and the cold, bitter hate it inspired is entirely real. We hate. Therefore, we are.”

“And here I was thinking you were trying to cozy up to me, getting me to look at you as the good guys.” Ken joked cheekily.

“No.” the Windigos responded bluntly. “We do not believe in good and evil. We just are what we are.”

Ken’s face contorted into a look of astonishment.

“However…” Aeros continued. “That does not mean we are not looking to be something more. It was the fire of you humans that gave us our own flame, our ability to create mild warmth...but that is all we understand right now. We need more knowledge. What we’ve learned from your world is not enough, not if we are to surpass the power of our killer. No, we need that fire...”

“Who killed you?” Ken asked.

“Belohzhero.” Aeros answered. “A most odious demon who manipulated our kind after death, used our souls to bring Equestria an eternal age of freezing cold. Those soft-hearted ponies only banished him in ice, but for his atrocities, he should have BURNED! They would never understand our agony, and that’s considering a scenario where they would actually listen to us rather than banishing us. Thus why we need you, a human, to be our stand-in.”

“So that’s why you sought me out?” Ken responded. “Why me in particular?”

“Out of all the humans we’ve seen, your fire is most like ours.” Aeros explained. “You’re so calm and collected on the outside, yet so irate and volatile on the inside...you could get the ponies to understand our hate. You would be the perfect mediator. You could get them to share their secrets about how their fire works.”

“Hold on just a second here.” Ken objected. “Why am I obligated to do your dirty work? Especially after you got me into whatever this mess is?!”

“There will be something in it for you.” Aera interjected. “In exchange for helping us, we will share with you our power.”

“And we will give you a new body in a new world.” Aero chimed in. “The world of Equestria is far kinder than yours. Also, your body won’t be just any ordinary body. It will be like theirs on the surface, but on the inside, it will be like ours. Immaterial and immortal.”

Ken couldn’t believe what he had just heard.

“They’re promising me immortality.” he thought in disbelief. “In a happy fantasy land. This goes beyond too good to be true. Yet I see no reason to turn them down. Never mind my lame life with my lame job and no friends or dreams, no one I’ve ever met before has actually cared about my fire, the only thing that keeps me going…”

“Fine, I’ll go along with your plans…” he told them. “...as far as I want to. The moment I feel you’re just using me for some ulterior motive, our partnership is through.”

“We agree to that.” Aeros promised with a confident smile.

“Heh heh.” he thought to himself. “This arrogant human thinks his hate is stronger than ours…”

“So what happens now?” Ken asked them curiously. “If I leave this world for “Equestria”, what happens to my body in this world?”

“So long as you keep us near your soul,” answered Aeros, “your willpower enhanced by our flame should keep your human body from expiring. This is how you know you can trust us. We’re not just friends with benefits...we’re your life support.”

Ken felt sick to his stomach.

“It’s not just the way he said that…” he mused to himself in discomforted thought. “I don’t trust anyone. The thought of anyone being my life support is pure torture!”

“That body you’ve promised me…” he said sternly. “It better be my own…”

“I assure you, it will be constructed from the very fabric of your spirit.” Aeros promised. “Just know that your soul is quite dark...and to be like us, you must be able to relate to weather phenomena…”

“...Whatever that mean-WOAH...WAAAH!”

Ken’s sarcastic rejoinder was interrupted by a living shadow manifesting from the darkness and wrapping itself around him, completely covering him and obstructing his vision. As all he could see was darkness once more, he could hear a faint whisper in a familiar voice…

Beware the lizard with three eyes…

And with that, Ken finally woke up...to a loud call in a familiar voice…

“Hey, where did you come from, dude?!” a blue pegasus with a rainbow-colored mane cried as she looked down from a cloud.

“Oh, great…” Ken thought to himself. “Of course I get greeted by the one with a personality most compatible with mine…Rainbow Dash...”

Ken begrudgingly pulled himself up from the grassy ground his new body had been laying on. He was in Equestria now, arriving at a picnic area in Ponyville. Looking at himself, he realized that he was now a white pegasus with a blue and black mane and tail and a symbol of a white cloud surrounded by a sky that was black as night for a cutie mark.

“I’m not surprised by this new form considering the hints they gave me…” he thought, reminiscing over what Aero and Aeros told him. “The greater concern to me is how to grow accustomed to it...I hate having change forced on me...”

“Uh, hello?!” Rainbow exclaimed, growing annoyed with how Ken was just marveling his new body instead of responding to her. “Is there anypony in there? Just nod if you can hear me!”

“Sorry.” Ken replied instinctively, remembering his pattern of apologizing from his time as a human. “I’m just new here.”

“You can say that again…” Rainbow jeered. “It’s like you literally just materialized from under my cloud! What’s your name?”

“Oh no...like I’ve ever been good at coming up with names!” he exclaimed worriedly in thought.

His eyes dotted up to the cloud, then to its shadow below where he had laid...and he had an idea for a name. A stupid name, but a perfect name. He had the most perfectly stupid idea for a name…

“Cloud Shroud.” he told Rainbow plainly. “I was just...um...taking a nap on the grass.”

“Heh, I guess that makes two of us.” Rainbow joked. “Except I like to nap on a space that’s a bit more comfortable. Why did you decide to just roll under a cloud?”

“I like the shade.” he answered in a deadpan tone of voice.

“...Would you…” Rainbow said in confusion, normally expecting ponies to be more open and upbeat. “Happen to be friends with Maud Pie?”

“I like her.” Ken replied, still being terse.

“I don’t care if it makes her suspicious.” he thought to himself. “I refuse to be someone I’m not to please other people, and that goes for ponies too.”

“Ha ha ha…” Rainbow laughed. “It’s okay. I’m totally cool with ponies who are different. I’m sure you’ll warm up to me eventually. What do you do?”

“Ah yes, thanks for reminding me…” Ken said to himself in his mind, unamused. “Thanks to this abrupt detour, I’m out of a job…”

“I’m a drifter who came to these parts looking for a place to settle down and find work.” he stated after conjuring up the most believable lie he could think of.

“Well, while I don’t know of any open positions for picnicking…” Rainbow remarked in a snarky tone. “...I could put in a recommendation for you at the weather factory I used to work at.”

“That sounds good to me.” he said, forcing a smile. “Thank you so much.”

“It’s “good” if you know that all jobs are hell.” he thought, secretly irritated.

“You’re welcome so much, heh heh…” Rainbow replied sheepishly, secretly suspicious. “Just don’t be like that other guy I had to literally give shock therapy to for not working, ha ha! I’ll go put in a good word for you, A! S! A! P!”

Rainbow jumped up from the cloud and flew off immediately, leaving a trail of rainbow behind that faded along with the cloud she had been sleeping on. The gleeful expression she had while talking to Ken also faded.

“Something about that guy just bugs me…” she thought suspiciously. “I’ve had to learn that introverts are normal, but ponies who pretend to be happy…no way would Pinkie disagree...”

“I don’t care what she thinks of me.” Ken told himself in thought, looking up at the sky. “So long as I get back to living a quiet life, nothing else matters to me.”

Little did he know, the Windigos were watching him from above as invisible apparitions and snickering to themselves.

“We know what you’re thinking…” they thought to themselves. “...and you’re going to learn of your greater purpose the hard way…”

Also unbeknownst to Ken, two familiar green eyes appeared in the shadow he cast...

Author's Note:

Since this story is more of an experiment, being my first seriously written Human in Equestria story, please let me know if you would like to see more.

EDIT: I have noticed a glitch creating spacing errors on a few lines using italicized words in certain chapters. It's probably just an issue with FIMFiction that will be fixed eventually, but for now, all you need to do is slightly alter the formatting.