• Published 5th Sep 2020
  • 923 Views, 16 Comments

Goddess of the Moon - Duke of Canterlot



With Luna's retirement, a new goddess of the moon is needed - Princess Luna decides Apple Bloom is the best choice.

  • ...
6
 16
 923

New Home

This majestic castle was now going to be her home, thought Apple Bloom. None of this would ever feel real to the young mare. This didn’t even feel like a house. The few belongings Apple Bloom brought would fit in easily in the gargantuan castle.

“Tia and I had good times in this castle”, said Luna, “I miss it but it’s time for the younger folk to take it over.”

“This definitely doesn’t feel real to me. Ah never asked for a castle this large.”

“Oh you will need it”, said Luna, “even if it’s just to ensure your protection. Unfortunately, as you well know – Equestria has plenty of enemies who wish to cause harm.”

“Ah think ah need a few more lessons in magic combat.”

“Oh, we will definitely do that. With that said, Twilight Sparkle would be more than happy to train with you too.”

“Ah hope she goes easy on you – like you’ve been.”

“Now that you’re as tall as me, I’m never going easy on you anymore – not baby alicorn. Now, it is time to see your new quarters.”

Apple Bloom followed Luna. She thought she was going up the stairs but instead they went down the basement. Luna took Apple Bloom to a large door with a painting of a moon.

“Ah guess this is my moon room.”

Luna chuckled at Apple Bloom’s pun and opened the door. The room was large but empty except for a bed and a telescope.

“Ah guess my belongings will add some things to this room”, said Apple Bloom.

“I’ve never been a mare for material things”, said Luna, “so I always preferred to keep things simple – but feel free to do what you like with your new room.”

“Maybe ah will ask Pinkie Pie for guidance on this.”

“The Goddess of Moon and Cupcakes. Quite the ambition.”

“Ah am just marching to the beat of my own drum.”

“You’re now one of the most powerful ponies in the world. You can do as you please. I just hope you can encourage Twilight to relax once in a while. She is always working.”

“Ah thought that’s why ah’m here.”

“That’s how I convinced Tia to bring you on. But really, I just felt it was time to fully retire. And I knew you were the mare I wanted to take my place.”

“Ah can definitely take on many of the responsibilities Twilight has now. But don’t ask me to put on a façade during the daytime.”

“Oh definitely not. Celestia and I swapped responsibilities once and it worked out horribly. Think of this moreso as Twilight no longer having to do anything I would normally do. Speaking of that – I am looking forward to teaching you how to raise the moon. We can do that within the next couple of hours when it is nightfall.”

“Ah can’t wait!”

“In the meantime, I’ll let you get settled in your new room and the castle. Let us meet at the Royal Grounds at 6 PM.”


As Apple Bloom was putting her clothes in a closet so big that it would even intimidate Rarity, she hard a knock on the door.

“Come on in, door’s unlocked.”

Apple Bloom saw her fellow alicorn princess, Twilight Sparkle.

“Princess Apple Bloom, I wanted to formally welcome you to your new home.”

“Hey Twilight, how long does it take to get used to all of this?”

“Honestly, I’m still adjusting to this castle at times.”

“Ah am excited to work with the moon though. This all feels so new, yet it all feels so right!”

“From what I hear, you’re already getting the hang of things nicely. It will be nice to have another friend in the castle.”

“Ah couldn’t agree more. Ah have so much to learn from you, Princess Twilight.”

“I appreciate all that you and Luna have done for me. Luna was right. Taking on the sun and moon was too much for me. I am grateful that Luna brought you here.”

“Ah can understand how you felt. Ah always try to do everything on my own too. But ah am looking forward to being on a team with you and the other princesses.”

“So what else do you still have to learn from Luna?”

“Luna still has to teach me to raise the moon and go into ponies’ dreams.”

“Just don’t go into my dreams – only kidding. Do whatever you have to do!”

“Luna said that ah would know in my gut when a pony needs my help and ah would know what to do.”

“I’ve never been so comfortable going with my gut on things. But I always knew I wouldn’t be right for that kind of job. But you’ve been helping others with their problems ever since you got your cutie mark – you’re going to be a natural at it.”

“Ah hope so. What’s most important to me is making Luna proud. Ah don’t wanna let her down.”

“I don’t think that’s possible”, said Twilight with a wink, “you’ve never let a pony down. You learned so many lessons that it took me years to figure out.”

“Like what?”

“Of course, the magic of friendship. It has been natural to you. For a pony like me, it was a real struggle to learn the ins and outs of friendship. Celestia was a great mentor for me in that regard.”

“Ah think you got a lot of that done on your own personally!”

“You’re so sweet, Apple Bloom. Yet again, I’m so glad that you will be helping me out with.. well.. everything. I would be really interested in hearing you input on what direction you want Equestria to go.”

“Ah haven’t put much thought into it – but ah guess ah want a world where every creature is happy and has access to the best opportunities our world has to offer.”

“Agreed. I hope you agree with me that the Friendship School has been a great place to encourage those values. Any creature who wants to learn can do so. I hear that the school is still making great progress under Starlight Glimmer’s leadership.”

Apple Bloom tried not to twitch. She remembered Luna’s warning. With the wrong message, equality of opportunity could become equality of outcome – which Starlight certainly did back in her evil days.

“It’s been so long since ah been back there. After you left, my friends and ah just kinda starting doing high school stuff – ya know.”

“Speaking of school stuff – are you still planning on going to Canterlot University? It’s right by here.”

“Ah don’t think so. Ah got the best teacher in Luna. She’ll make sure ah take on my destiny.”

“Because if you wanna go – I could probably take on the moon duties for another four years.”

“Ah can’t! Then you’ll collapse due to exhaustion and ah will be taking on the sun and moon duties myself! In all seriousness, ah can go back to school anytime.”

“I’m sure Canterlot University would be happy to have an alicorn student.”

“Don’t worry Twilight. Ah am glad to be here. Starting tomorrow, we can talk strategy. Ah already have tons of ideas on keeping Equestria strong.”

“I thought you haven’t put much thought into it.”

“Ah didn’t, but my mind is already buzzing with ideas. We can really throw those hoity toity elitists to where they need to be.”

“They’re not all that bad – they have grown to respect their newest alicorn princess.”

“Yeah but you were a unicorn. Ah was born an earth pony and ah don’t talk or act like them at all. They are all probably horrified that somepony like me would be their ruler.”

“I had a humble upbringing myself. Celestia found me and made me who I am today – the same as Luna did with you.”

“Ah guess ah could use my alicorn powers to shut down any snobs who don’t like what ah have to say.”

“With great power comes great responsibility, remember you are supposed to be an advocate for all creatures – not just those you like.”

“We’ll revisit this whenever we have to go to one of those boring royal events. Then we’ll see what they think about Princess Apple Bloom from Sweet Apple Acres.”

“I think Luna hardly goes to any of those parties. You don’t have to go if you don’t want.”

“It’s funny that you call them parties in my opinion.”

“Celestia knows how to keep them fun. She’s kind of a prankster.”

“Oh ah can be a prankster too. Maybe ah will go to one of those snoozefests someday.”

Princess Luna arrived.

“Oh goodness. Those anti-parties are no place for the new Goddess of the Moon”, said Luna, “only the Princess of Friendship is required to attend. Apple Bloom, are you ready for your final lessons?”

“Woah, are we doing the dreams tonight?”

“Yes we are. I decided that we could learn moon raising and dream walking tonight. You are definitely ready for both.”

Author's Note:

Apple Bloom will finally learn her nightly duties - find out more in the next chapter!