• Published 5th Sep 2020
  • 910 Views, 16 Comments

Goddess of the Moon - Duke of Canterlot



With Luna's retirement, a new goddess of the moon is needed - Princess Luna decides Apple Bloom is the best choice.

  • ...
6
 16
 910

One-on-One With Luna

Apple Bloom arrived at the meeting spot.

She saw a flash of lightning in the air. It looked like it was headed towards the path of one of the apple trees but it never hit.

Apple Bloom then heard a voice, must have been Luna.

“My pupil, you must let me know what you are up for tonight!”

“Errr..ah’m not sure. What’s the most logical thing to learn next?’

“It depends on you.”

“What do you mean?”

“I know about Granny’s condition. I was saddened to hear the news. My best wishes to your grandmother. I wish there were something I could do to help.”

“But you’re an alicorn – don’t they have almighty powers?”

“It doesn’t work like that. Do you really think we would let so many ponies die if we could stop the process?”

“What about making Granny an alicorn?”

“My child”, said Luna, “there is still so much you need to learn. I sympathize with you of course. But we alicorns do not have infinite power.”

Apple Bloom gave a nod showing her understanding.

“And we need to be very careful about giving our own alicorn powers to others. Celestia didn’t just magically wave her horn and Twilight became a princess. No, my sister had to give up some of her power – she made herself weaker to make Twilight who she is. This is the same thing I plan to do for you.”

“Oh, ok. That makes sense – ah suppose. What if ah were to give my alicorn magic to Granny so that she can live forever?”

“That would be a waste honestly”, said Luna, “not in a life – I mean, that the alicorn magic needs to go into some pony youthful and with potential. Your grandmother wouldn’t age backwards. She would be permanently 90 years old. She would be an alicorn with horns and wings, yes. But she would still be an elderly mare with limited energy.”

“All of this seems awfully convenient leading to the inevitable conclusion which ah so dread.”

“I’m sorry, Apple Bloom. I’m so sorry. Your grandmother is an incredible pony and she deserves full health and happiness.”

Apple Bloom sighed. Her sister was right. There was nothing she could do to help Granny stay alive.

“So..um..what sort of advice would you give to me?”

“Your grandmother knows that you love her. She knows that you are always there for her. My only advice would be to continue supporting her. She’s fighting to live. Maybe a miracle will happen, but I do know that your grandmother would want you to achieve to your full potential.”

“Ah know that’s true. Granny would always tell me, ‘don’t go worrying about me – ah just want you to live a happy life’. But ah don’t think ah can without Granny. You know very well that she was my only parent.”

“I know, Apple Bloom”, said Luna, “death is never easy. I have been alive for over one thousand years. I have befriended many ponies who have perished. For those you love, it never is easy.”

“So would ah really want to keep living as the Goddess of the Moon? More than Granny are gonna leave me. By the time ah am your age, ah will have lost so many.”

“But you will have gained so much. The chance to be an alicorn is one that very very few ponies get. You will be helping all of Equestria. And I believe in my heart that you, Apple Bloom, are the only one fit to take over my position. I’ve been around for a long time, I know.”

“Ah still can’t believe that you think so highly of me.”

“Most ponies accept their lot in life and just take it. You clearly have shown that you are committed to making your life and the lives of those around you as great as possible. Your determination to find the cure for your grandmother’s illness speaks further volumes to why I want you to be my replacement.”

“But almost every pony ah know and love is going to die well before me.”

“Yes, that will be hard. You will still have some friends going through the same thing as you.”

“Ah never really got to know Twilight Sparkle that well, to be honest. Ah know she’s one of Applejack’s closest friends but still..”

“I see”, said Luna, “I suppose that makes sense – your closest friends then would be your fellow Cutie Mark Crusaders.”

“Of course but ah feel once ah become an alicorn – Sweetie Belle is going to write me off. She’s so jealous of me and ah made a couple of mistakes.”

“I’ve been watching some of your dreams and Sweetie Belle’s. Sweetie Belle will not hate you when you become an alicorn – I promise that. Yes, she fears that you will take her coltfriend away but she is so proud of you – even if she doesn’t necessarily show it. She does worry that you don’t think very highly of her – like she’s a simpleton.”

“Ah guess you had a similar relationship with your sister.”

“You could say that. Tia was never good at giving me praise and, frankly, I wasn’t good at giving her praise either. We never hated one another. But there were some dreadful miscommunications which led to my transformation to Nightmare Moon. Let Sweetie Belle know that she’s an important part of your life and some of the conflict will end.”

“That will be easy”, said Apple Bloom, “ah would never be who ah am without Sweetie Belle or Scootaloo! Ah made a horrible mistake by trying to make Button Mash mine.”

“And why was that? He barely registers in your subconscious.”

“Ah guess ah just felt the need to win. And didn’t think of the consequences. He became hot in high school and ah felt making Button Mash mine was my ticket to becoming somepony valuable.”

“Value”, said Luna thoughtfully, “no other pony determines your value – not even me. You are the only one who determines your value.”

“Ah was young and stupid”, said Apple Bloom, “and ah know it would be stupid of me to turn down this opportunity.”

“So, are you ready for your next lesson?”

“Yes, ah believe ah am all ready! Thank you for your guidance, Princess Luna.”

“Anytime. Our first task will be a recap on yesterday. Are you still able to move objects effectively?”

Apple Bloom had no time to practice given the situation with Granny but she said, “let me see if ah can get those apples off that tree.”

Apple Bloom focused on the apple tree. She furrowed her brows. Hoping that the tree would make things easy for her. Apple Bloom pointed her horn upwards and focused on moving the apples off their tree home.

Seemed like the apples were not so easy to move off. Apple Bloom decided to change her strategy to focusing on one apple. As she did that, she saw the apple begin to move away from the tree branch. The apple made it off and flew slowly to Apple Bloom – she had done it almost effortlessly when there was only one apple in her focus. Apple Bloom smiled to herself.

“Very good”, said Luna, “you are getting the hang of this magic thing!”

“Ah think my horn is starting to agree with me.”

“This is essentially the spell that most unicorns know how to perform. You are now just as proficient as a typical unicorn!”

“Ah don’t think ah’m ready to move objects the way a typical unicorn can yet. It took a lotta focus for me to get that apple off the tree!”

“You’re a quick study”, said Luna, “now, I know one of your extracurricular hobbies is potion-making.”

“Yeah, ah always found it to be so cool!”

“I think our next lesson should be you concocting one of those potions with your magic.”

“You really think? Wouldn’t it be hard to mix all the ingredients so precisely with my baby magic?”

“That’s why I’m here to teach you. I instruct and then you can do. Believe in yourself.”

“Ah wonder what ah can do with a little unicorn magic with these potions.”

“Surprisingly, not much more. It’s just another way to prepare a potion. These have been skills for those of the earth – not one of the skies or spells.”

“So what potion do you want me to make? Ah know them all!”

“Up to you, Bloom.”

Apple Bloom thought about it. What would be the best potion for this situation? She thought again of Granny. She deeply wished she had something that could make Granny feel all better. But there was nothing. Apple Bloom was excited to try out a potion though.

“Luna, ah was thinking maybe the rejuvenating potion. We have almost everything right here on the farm. If ah can make it more efficient with my magic, that would be perfect!”

“Sounds like a great idea, Apple Bloom. I’m looking forward to seeing the results.”

Author's Note:

How will Apple Bloom do with the potion and her unicorn magic?
Find out in the next chapter!