• Published 5th Sep 2020
  • 913 Views, 16 Comments

Goddess of the Moon - Duke of Canterlot



With Luna's retirement, a new goddess of the moon is needed - Princess Luna decides Apple Bloom is the best choice.

  • ...
6
 16
 913

The Speech and Granny Smith

“And now we have our next speaker – one of our most accomplished students graduating from Ponyville High today – Apple Bloom!”, said the principal enthusiastically.

The crowd cheered. Apple Bloom still didn’t fully know what she wanted to say. She thought about making the speech short and sweet. As Apple Bloom approached the podium, she noticed another omission besides Twilight Sparkle – her grandmother, Granny Smith. This wasn’t good at all. Apple Bloom remembered Applejack telling her that Granny would make it if she was well enough.

Apple Bloom began to speak. She couldn’t let Granny’s absence derail her.

“Thank you all for joining me and my fellow graduates today as we finish one chapter and begin another. Some of us are going far and some of us are staying close to home. But something we all have in common is the spirit of Ponyville and the great community our town has provided. As some of my fellow students relentlessly reminded me in my youth, ah was a blank flank for some time. It was something that had frustrated me for the longest time. Along with two of my best friends, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, we experimented with everything including the most embarrassing talent show skit of a lifetime to obtain our cutie marks. We wondered why we were so late when others found their purpose sooner. We called ourselves the Cutie Mark Crusaders and still do today. When we stopped focusing on ourselves so much and focused on helping others deal with their crises – that was when we finally earned our cutie marks: ones that each of us are so proud. What ah learned is that it is not about how long something takes – what matters is that you find the right purpose in your life. And ah also learned that no pony is defined by their cutie mark. We are more than our ‘special talent’, we are individuals capable of constant growth and development. Ah would like to give special thanks to my family. Applejack, my older sister who is never afraid to give me her honest opinion on anything – ah learned so much from you big sis! Big McIntosh, my older brother – strong and silent with a heart of gold. If ah needed somepony to listen to me, ah know ah can always count on you, Big Mac! And of course, my grandmother, Granny Smith, unfortunately she couldn’t make it to today’s ceremony but with her wisdom and sense of humor – she has taught me to have pride in being an Apple! Ah may be off to Canterlot but ah will never forget my roots in Ponyville at Sweet Apple Acres. And finally, my mom and dad, ah may have no memories of you but ah know that they are still watching all of us in the great heaven above.” Apple Bloom felt herself tear up from talking about her parents. She wondered if life could have been different if they were still here.

“Thank you everypony and let’s celebrate our graduation!”

Apple Bloom was glad to see the audience cheer her speech. Even Discord, who seemed to expect embarrassing moments, was impressed and cheering.


After the ceremony ended, Apple Bloom met up with Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Button Mash. She tried to ignore the almost obnoxious lovey-dovey staring between Sweetie and Mashie. At the moment, it was basically just Apple Bloom and Scootaloo.

“Wow, that was the best speech I ever heard”, said Scootaloo, “I don’t even think Rainbow Dash could give a speech like that!”

“Aww thanks”, responded Apple Bloom, “ah just spoke from the heart.”

“I mean it. You inspired me to take on this ‘scooter brigade’ Rainbow Dash wants me to put together for the Wonderbolts! Finding the right team is gonna be tough though.”

“I have faith in you, Scoots.”

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo saw Sweetie and Mashie kissing each other like no pony else was around.

“Maybe we can give these two lovebirds a little privacy”, said Scootaloo.

“Best idea I heard all day, Scoots!”

What was more pressing on Apple Bloom’s mind than a little PDA was the health of her grandma. The fact that Granny Smith didn’t show up to the graduation was a horrible sign. Apple Bloom knew that Granny wanted to go so badly but she hit some hard times. She could see her siblings from a distance. Apple Bloom knew they knew more than she did.

“Hey Scoots, I gotta find out about Granny from AJ and Big Mac.”

“No problem”, said Scootaloo, “I really hope Granny is ok.”

“Me too. I don’t feel so good thinking about it though. Granny is not the type to miss something as big as this unless her condition was getting worse.”

“Well, good luck”, said Scootaloo, “I’ll go find Rainbow Dash to talk to her about this scooter brigade.”

“You’ll do great”, said Apple Bloom, “but you don’t need me to tell you that!”

After a goodbye wave, Apple Bloom ran over to her siblings to find out what was happening.

Applejack and Big Mac smiled at her.

“Great speech Bloom”, said Applejack, “ah knew you would knock it out the park.”

“Eeyup”, said Big Mac, “really touched our hearts. You’re going to do great things.”

“Thank you both. Ah wish that Granny could have been here.”

“Me too, sugarcube”, said Applejack, “me too.”

“How was Granny since I left?”

Apple Bloom saw the look of dread on both of her older siblings’ faces.

“Errr”, said Applejack, “Granny is not having a great day. She couldn’t get out of bed at all. Or you know..”

“Ah knew it couldn’t be good.”

“But ah don’t want this to ruin your graduation day.”

“Eeyup”, agreed Big Mac.

“Ah had enough fun for a day”, said Apple Bloom, “can we go back home and give Granny some company?”

“Of course, sugarcube”, responded Applejack, “ah am sure Granny will appreciate the company. The stroke didn’t do anything to her wits.”

At least Apple Bloom could be grateful that Granny was still the same pony on the inside. She remembered the trouble that Sweetie Belle went through when her grandfather had dementia. He died not even remembering his own family. And of course – Granny wasn’t going to die, she was going to make it through all of this.

The Apples arrived home.

“Granny, we’re back”, said Applejack.

Apple Bloom heard a, “heavens, you’re back too soon. Go out and enjoy yerselves.”

“We couldn’t stand to leave you all alone”, said Apple Bloom.

“Ah’m just a dyin’ old lady”, said Granny, “not much time left for me.”

Apple Bloom hated when Granny talked like that. Ever since the stroke put Granny out of commission and in bed – she would remind them everyday she was dying.

Apple Bloom and her siblings went into Granny’s room. Granny was just staring at the ceiling and feeling miserable. She couldn’t physically get out of bed anymore.

“Hey Granny”, said Apple Bloom.

“Ah, there’s our newest graduate”, said Granny, “ah never finished high school but of course things were different back then.”

“How are you feeling?”

“The same as this morning”, said Granny with a cough, “ah’m 90 years old- so of course ah’ll die soon.”

“Don’t say that, Granny. You’re going to be with us forever!”

“A young whippersnapper like you has her whole life ahead – don’t you worry about your ol’ Granny.”

“Have faith, Granny. You’ll pull through. You always do.”

“Bloom, yer destined for great things – going to that fancy school in Canterlot. Don’t feel like you need to stay on the farm just because ah can’t help no more.”

“Things will be okay. They need to be.”

Granny coughed and said, “ah don’t think ah’m dying tonight but it’s gonna be soon. Get used to it, my grandchildren.”

Apple Bloom began to cry. She refused to accept the fact that her granny would someday die. Life would be so empty without her. She turned around and saw that Big Mac was crying. Applejack was trying to stay strong, but her eyes were wet.

“Time for me to sleep, ah will see y’all in the morning”, said Granny.

“Rest well”, said Apple Bloom, “you need to recover.”
Apple Bloom was so distraught. All she could do was run into her room and let the tears flow. Granny was the closest she ever had to a parental figure. She wished there were something she could do to help her granny rather than offer support. Nothing else seemed to matter now.

Apple Bloom stared out her window. She watched the sun set and then the moon rise. The moon was full tonight. It gave her hope that Granny would at least survive through the night. Exhausted with sadness, Apple Bloom got onto her bed and closed her eyes. She tried to think of a future where Granny fully recovered from her stroke and every pony was happy and healthy.

It took some time, but the young mare finally fell asleep.

Author's Note:

I hope everyone is enjoying this story!

Will Granny Smith be okay?

Luna will make a visit in the next chapter.