• Published 5th Sep 2020
  • 908 Views, 16 Comments

Goddess of the Moon - Duke of Canterlot



With Luna's retirement, a new goddess of the moon is needed - Princess Luna decides Apple Bloom is the best choice.

  • ...
6
 16
 908

Potions with Magic

Apple Bloom was quick to work. She picked an easy potion because she wanted to show results. All it required was some apples, grass, water, and pig hair. The pig hair would be the hardest item to get. Apple Bloom pulled some apples off the trees using her magic. The young mare felt like she was on Cloud Nine with her powers. Apple Bloom let the apples gather in a field. She pulled a total of six. That would be more than enough for the rejuvenating potion and some more. Did a princess like Luna eat apples, thought Apple Bloom.

Apple Bloom used her unicorn magic to pull a bucket towards the small lake and watched as the water flew up in the air and landed seamlessly into the bucket. This was too easy! She then moved the bucket of water next to the apples.

Since the grass was small, it was harder for the new unicorn to unroot than she hoped. Apple Bloom wasn’t a quitter. It was just like the apples – just smaller roots. Apple Bloom narrowed her focus on the grass as much as she could. It took a couple moments but the grass began to release itself from the ground. With a newfound confidence, Apple Bloom catapulted the grass into her pile.

She wondered whether the potion could work without pig hair. That was going to be crazy to get with unicorn magic. Apple Bloom usually had to sneak up on a pig, tackle it and snip off its hair with some scissors. She supposed it was the same concept as the grass or apples – just different roots.

“Do you have all the ingredients”, asked Luna.

“Not yet”, said Apple Bloom, “one more. Ah just need to go to the barn!’

“Okay, I’ll be waiting here.”

Apple Bloom ran to the barn and went to where the pigs were sleeping. The pigs ranged from small to large based on age. She decided that trying for one of the piglets would be enough.

There was a little pink piglet sleeping peacefully. Apple Bloom quietly used her horn to focus on the little pig hairs. These hairs were tiny, but it was certainly better than trying to provoke one of the large adult pigs.

Apple Bloom put her focus on the little pig and her hairs. She gingerly used her magic to lightly snip off the hairs. She got a few of them which she levitated in the air. But she needed some more to make the potion. Apple Bloom began to take off more of the hairs at a quicker pace. She was really getting the hang of this magic stuff! Easy peasy!

Apple Bloom was so focused on collecting the hairs that she was not paying much attention to her surroundings. Until she heard heavy breathing. She turned around and saw the largest pig staring right at her – the one that was considered the alpha pig. He was a large black pig and he looked angry.

Apple Bloom yelped and began to run while keeping the hairs levitated above her head. The pig pursued her. Apple Bloom was a little faster but the pig was persistent. She just wanted to get the hairs with the rest of the ingredients. The pig was beginning to catch up but not before Apple Bloom stealthily levitated the hairs and let them float in the bucket of water.

But the alpha pig wasn’t finished with Apple Bloom yet! He lunged at Apple Bloom and pinned her down. Apple Bloom tried to use her magic to move the pig away but he was too strong.

Apple Bloom was about to cry for help but suddenly the pig let go of her and walked back to the barn.

“You’re welcome”, said Luna with a smile, “this doesn’t surprise me since I know you are the daring type.”

“You really saved my ass over there, can’t thank you enough Luna.”

“Did you get enough pig hairs for your potion?”

“Ah’ll find out but ah think so.”

Apple Bloom approached her pile of ingredients. The bucket would be the perfect petri dish for her potion. She used her magic to slice up the apples and threw them in the bucket along with the pig hairs. She stirred it altogether and then put in the grass – all with her magic. Apple Bloom turned around occasionally to make sure that she wasn’t going to be attacked by a pig. Boy that would be a story to tell Granny once she wakes up!

Apple Bloom wasn’t quite sure how much magic for the potion to be in process. However, she wouldn’t know without trying. Everything was mixed together and the potion turned into layers of red and green – just like how the potion was intended to be!

“Luna”, said Apple Bloom, “ah think ah’m done with the rejuvenating potion.”

“I’ve been watching”, said Luna, “you are definitely catching on with using unicorn magic. Soon you will be raising the moon just like me!”

“Seems like a tall order, Princess Luna.”

“You’ll see that it isn’t so bad once I decide to grant you alicorn status.”

“Does that mean ah will be getting wings soon?”

“Yes”, said Luna, “I think we will begin flying lessons in about a week or two. Honestly, it’s easier to master than unicorn magic – so that’s why I gave you the horn first.”

“Only problem though, how are we gonna test this potion? Nobody needs rejuvenation around here.”

“The success of the potion wasn’t the point of this exercise”, said Luna, “you made it only using unicorn magic. How was the experience for you?”

“Definitely different than anything else ah learned, Luna. Ah can’t believe ah actually did all of that. Certainly not easy though.”



“Oh, you will get the hang of it”, said Luna, “every baby unicorn does.”

“Ah met a unicorn in the hospital today. Real nice nurse. She said that she never really learned how to use magic.”

“She must be a hybrid. Sometimes hybrids can’t do magic no matter how hard they try. But honestly, she’s a rare case. Honestly, not even a real unicorn despite possessing the horn. But you know what I mean.”

“Ah sure do. So am ah now a real unicorn?”

“You’re better than a real unicorn”, said Luna with pride, “you are going to become a real alicorn! You will have earth pony strengths, pegasus strengths and unicorn strengths. All three in one! But you are kind of like a baby unicorn now with your magic, it’s kinda cute actually.”

“Ah will get out of my babyhood real soon – you’ll see!”

“Practice makes perfect.”

“So what’s next in our lessons?”

“This next lesson will take us out of Sweet Apple Acres. As you well know, while Equestria advocates for peace – things are not always peaceful. There are threats to our land and as an alicorn, you will need to learn how to fight. I shall teach you the art of combat.”

“Oh a’hm ready for that. Ah’m an Apple and we Apples are strong – never back out from a fight!”

“My strong Apple, you shall be facing a formidable foe tonight one on one.”

“And who might that foe be?”

“This one is a dangerous sort. Tricky and powerful. A baby unicorn would have a hard time facing this foe – but the foe will go easy on the baby unicorn.”

“Wait, am ah going to be fighting you?”

“Precisely. This will be a learning experience as you learn the ways of unicorn combat. You will have a Royal Guard but you must know how to defend yourself. Through convenient struggles, Twilight Sparkle has learned to do this. Thankfully, I think your route will be a lot simpler.”

“Oh wow. Honestly ah have no idea what to expect?”

“You don’t, huh? Well, I suppose this makes sense. We will teleport to the Royal Grounds. This is where ‘Tia and I used to play against each other. I am the better fighter but Tia is a cheater.”

“Ah’m sure you have some of your own sneaky moves too, Luna.”

“Well, let’s see about that!”

“Okie dokie lokie!”

Luna transported herself and Apple Bloom to the Royal Grounds. The Royal Grounds would have been an open grassy field except for the stone walls surrounding that field.

“This is so exciting”, said Luna, “I never taught a pony how to fight before!”

“Ah sure am glad to be your guinea pig.”

“First, we need to armor up!”

Luna created armor out of thin air and armored suits landed perfectly on both Luna and Apple Bloom.

“It’s a little hard to see out of this armor”, said Apple Bloom.

“Yes it is”, said Luna, “but you will need it to fight!”

Apple Bloom was thinking in her head how she could even shoot out powerful beams of magic. This was going to be an interesting series of events.

Luna said in a commanding voice, “Are you ready, Apple Bloom?”

Author's Note:

Stay tuned for the next chapter where Apple Bloom learns combat!