• Published 5th Sep 2020
  • 913 Views, 16 Comments

Goddess of the Moon - Duke of Canterlot



With Luna's retirement, a new goddess of the moon is needed - Princess Luna decides Apple Bloom is the best choice.

  • ...
6
 16
 913

The Final Test

Apple Bloom arrived at her usual meeting spot. She didn’t know what to expect for her final test to complete her transformation to an alicorn. She always assumed that it was just having powers of an earth pony, unicorn, and pegasus.

Apple Bloom saw a flash of lightning and heard, “My alicorn-in-training, tonight is the night that you shall become a full-fledged alicorn! Are you ready?”

“Ah’m ready.”

Luna appeared with a smile.

“Good. You have performed quite well in your trainings. I have no more tasks to give you. While you still need to learn your nightly duties but I think you are ready. Is there anything you would like to ask of me before you become an alicorn?”

Apple Bloom was nervous. She knew what she wanted to ask but would this change everything. But she would do it for Scootaloo.

“Princess Luna, ah do have one question for you. Not sure if it is possible. But my friend, Scootaloo.”

“I am well acquainted with Scootaloo. What do you need?”

“Scootaloo always wanted to fly but her disability has prevented that. Pegasi should be able to fly. Would you or ah be able to grant Scootaloo flight?”

Luna smiled and said, “I would be able to help Scootaloo fly but my powers are limited. There is a catch. Are you ready for it?”

“What is this catch?”

“You would lose your wings and the ability to become a true alicorn. I wouldn’t want you to lose your opportunity to be a true Goddess of the Moon. I don’t want any other pony to replace me and honestly my magic would be too limited to pick another successor. You can raise the moon and walk dreams without wings but you would not be an alicorn princess. That’s the catch.”

“Really?”

“Yes, as I said my magic is unfortunately limited. It is up to you. What is more important?”

Apple Bloom didn’t think she had a good choice either way. She either had to give up her wings or Scootaloo would have to live the rest of her life without being able to fly.

“So would ah still be able to do most of your duties without the wings?”

“Of course, Apple Bloom.”

“In that case, ah say make Scootaloo fly! Ah want to give up my wings.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, Scootaloo is a great friend. She deserves to fly!”

Luna smiled and said, “Congratulations, Apple Bloom.”

Apple Bloom was confused. Was this congratulations for Scootaloo?

“You have passed your final test”, said Luna, “I was thinking hard about the type of test I wanted to give you as your final. I even asked some other ponies. The one who gave me this idea was Rainbow Dash.”

“So you can make Scootaloo fly?”

“Yes, I can. And you will still be an alicorn. I wanted to see if you were willing to sacrifice your own dreams for the dreams of your friends. And you proved this. Now, I want you to bring Scootaloo over here. She will learn to fly tonight.”

Apple Bloom couldn’t believe it – this was all going to happen tonight. This was a dream come true.

“I will be here for as long as you take. I am assuming Scootaloo won’t mind being woken up for this nice surprise.”

“Wow, thank you Princess Luna. You are amazing!”

Apple Bloom quickly flew to the other side of Ponyville where Scootaloo lived. She rushed over to Scootaloo’s window and knocked on the window.

“Hey Scoots”, said Apple Bloom, “you’ll never believe what ah am about to tell you.”

Scootaloo walked to her window and asked, “what is that AB?”

“So ah spoke with Luna and she kinda said that she’s willing to help you fly.”

Apple Bloom saw Scootaloo’s face glow with happiness.

“This is gonna happen. We got to hurry over to Sweet Apple Acres. Luna is waiting for us.”

“I am all ready. I don’t know what else to say – this is unbelievable!!”


Apple Bloom and Scootaloo rushed back to Sweet Apple Acres. Luna brought a small crowd of ponies to observe. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Big Mac, Daisy Fields, Button Mash and Sweetie Belle.

“Thank you all for being here tonight”, said Luna, “tonight – we will be celebrating the well-deserved transformations of two incredibly deserving young mares. Scootaloo and Apple Bloom, both of Ponyville. Scootaloo, you probably know this but your disability hits about 1% of newborn pegasi a year. A small number but it is unfortunate as you know. I shall grant you the power of flight. But unfortunately my power is limited and I won’t be able to make all pegasi fly but do you promise to advocate and help those pegasi who are in your situation?”

“Absolutely, Princess Luna”, responded Scootaloo, “I know how awful it is to live like this. I am supposed to be a pegasus but never being able to fly – no matter how hard I try. I promise to help those with my problem. They may never be able to fly themselves but I can help them discover their true talents like I did with my scooter.”

“Excellent”, said Princess Luna, “we shall now begin your transformation. Everypony, watch!”

Luna emitted a powerful blast of magic onto Scootaloo.

After a minute, the magic finished its work.

Scootaloo didn’t look any different but Luna said, “Scootaloo, try your wings!”

Scootaloo began to move her wings with caution but it could be seen that she could take off from the ground. Scootaloo began to cheer with glee.

“Rainbow Dash, Rainbow Dash!! I can fly!”

“Way to go, Scoots! I’m seeing you fly.”

Scootaloo flew in the air and began to dash through the sky. Apple Bloom was elated that her friend could finally fly. The whole crowd began to cheer.

“Enough sitting around from me”, said Rainbow Dash, “I’m joining you up in the air, Scoots!” Rainbow Dash launched into the sky and the two pegasi were enjoying their time in the sky.

“Thank you, Princess Luna”, said Apple Bloom, “ah am eternally grateful for what you’ve done for Scootaloo.”

“Once these two are done flying in the air a little longer – I will begin the process of your transformation.”

“What is that going to entail?”

“You’ll be as tall as me and your wings will be bigger. That’s probably about it.”

“Wow”, said Apple Bloom, “that’s a mighty big change. Hey Mac, I’m gonna be taller than you!”

Big Mac smirked and said, “but you won’t have my muscles.” Daisy Fields giggled at Mac’s comment.

“An alicorn is not intended to be.. I believe the word is.. ripped”, said Luna, “lean but not ripped. Would make it hard for you to fly, Apple Bloom.”

“Alright, Mac. Ah suppose you win this one.”

“Eeyup.”

After a few more minutes, Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo returned to the ground.

“Now”, said Luna, “tonight is a night where you will see history in the making. Apple Bloom shall become an alicorn princess. You all know her. You know how awesome she is. She will make an excellent replacement for me. Please join me in applause for Apple Bloom. To become a true alicorn. Step back everypony, this will be a powerful wave.”

With a hum from Luna and a wave of her horn, Apple Bloom saw a huge wave of magic which engulfed the young mare. She felt herself lift off the ground. All she could feel was the magic surrounding her body. Apple Bloom was going to become one with the magic. She couldn’t feel the changes otherwise. She could hear Luna’s voice, “Princess Apple Bloom – Goddess of the Moon. You will rule over Equestria and be the advocate for the night. Apple Bloom, you shall take on my responsibilities with a sense of duty. Equestria needs your intellect, your drive, and your empathy as it is time to replace me. Princess Apple Bloom, I know you will make me proud. Now the transformation shall finish.”

Apple Bloom felt herself rising higher in the air. She couldn’t see anything except for the magic. She would trust the process.

“And now, I believe it is all done”, Apple Bloom heard Luna say.

Apple Bloom landed on the ground. The first thing she noticed was that she was eye to eye with Luna – maybe even a little taller.

“Congratulations, Apple Bloom. Goddess of the Moon. You are now an official alicorn.” The audience of ponies hooted and hollered at Apple Bloom’s full transformation.

“Sugarcube, you’re looking great”, commented Applejack.

“Eeyup”, said Big Mac with a nod and grinning.

Apple Bloom smiled as she took off into the air. She noticed right away that flying was so much easier with the larger wings. Apple Bloom was elated. She was now the Goddess of the Moon. The next step was to learn the special nightly duties: raising the moon and dreamwalking. But for now, Apple Bloom would celebrate the moment. All of this felt so right.

Author's Note:

Apple Bloom is now an alicorn and Scootaloo can fly :D
Find out more as she finishes her training in the upcoming chapters.