• Published 5th Sep 2020
  • 911 Views, 16 Comments

Goddess of the Moon - Duke of Canterlot



With Luna's retirement, a new goddess of the moon is needed - Princess Luna decides Apple Bloom is the best choice.

  • ...
6
 16
 911

Button Mash

“Button Mash”, said Apple Bloom, “what are you doing out here so late?”

Button Mash looked nervous but lovey-dovey. Oh shit… Apple Bloom thought of how she would explain this to Sweetie Belle.

“Just needed to see you. We didn’t get a chance to talk at the funeral. I’m so sorry about Granny Smith. I can only imagine..”

“Thank you, Button Mash. Ah appreciate that but is that really the main reason why you went to my house in the middle of the night?”

“I have been doing some thinking.”

“With what part of your body, Button?”

“Head and heart.”

Oh crap, thought Apple Bloom, she knew where this was going. Button should just be with Sweetie Belle. Sweetie was a much better match for him and besides Apple Bloom didn’t want to do anything to risk her friendship going south.

“Ah think ah know what you’re going to say – but Button, we talked about this. You should be with Sweetie Belle. She cares for you so much and she’s gonna be real pissed at me that you even came over.”

“Ok, you know me too well”, said Button, “but you see. That kiss last year felt so real.”

Karma was really biting Apple Bloom in the ass. She made some bad decisions. Her love of competition had created a rift with Sweetie Belle – possibly forever.

“Ah was being so stupid. We talked about that. Ah’m sorry that ah led you on like that last year.”

“But you must have had some feelings for me, right?”

“Ah mean you are attractive and smart – there are plenty of reasons to like you. And ah do, as a friend. You have an incredible marefriend – one who will be devoted to you and give you whatever you want. Ah think this is foolish.”

“I feel like something is missing with Sweetie Belle – something I had with you.”

“You barely know me. Ah’m no good for you. Ah wish you could see that. Besides, ah’m gonna be far too busy with my alicorn duties to be stuck with love.”

“Every pony needs love – even an alicorn.”

“Ah will figure that out later – but we just aren’t a match. Trust me. Three months with me and you’ll want out.”

“Why’s that?”

“Ah’m not the kind of mare to be tied down to a stallion – ah see you and Sweetie, that’s not going to be me. Sweetie has always been fine with that lifestyle.”

“I know. She’s already talking about what our children will look like and honestly – that scares me a little bit. I feel like Sweetie is moving things way too fast.”

“Oh, ah see. But you think she’s great otherwise, right?”

“I guess so. Sweetie is caring and devoted. I know she’s a romantic at heart and I’ve always been like that too.”

“Have you heard me talk about anything related to romance? That night was a stupid fling – one which ah regret.”

“Because it was with me or because Sweetie Belle got so mad?”

“Yes because Sweetie got so mad – but she’s important to me and, hell, ah know she’s important to you too. Or you’re a better actor than I thought?”

“Ok – I know you’re right. There’s always been something so attractive about you, Bloom. But yeah, you’re right, we probably wouldn’t be a good match. Scares me though that Sweetie is already talking about our future, we’re starting college in the fall and have so much other stuff going on first. How do I let Sweetie know my thoughts without causing a fight?”

“Be honest with her. Tell her about how much you care but you want to keep things slow and see where they go. She wants to know if your relationship could ultimately lead to marriage and starting a family. Tell Sweetie Belle that, after a certain point of time, you will feel more comfortable with talking about marriage and having kids. By that point, you two will either be together or broken up. No harm, no foul.”



“Didn’t think of that before. You’re so smart, Apple Bloom! I can let Sweetie know how I really feel but it doesn’t mean that I’m going to cut ties with her. I’ll also let her know that I’m over you.”

“Glad ah could help! And ah will always be here for you if you need a friend to talk to. Even when ah’m an alicorn in Canterlot Castle raising the moon.”

“Sure thing! Are you still going to college?”

“Ah have to talk to Luna about that but probably not. Seems like all the instruction ah’ll need is from Luna for my next phase in life.”

“We’re all rooting for you, Bloom! You’re perfect to replace Luna. And it’s a good message that we, earth ponies, can rise up to that echelon of the pony hierarchy.”

“Ah guess that’s true.”

“Yeah, first earth pony in Equestrian history to ever become an alicorn. I’m kind of obsessed with Equestrian history but I’ll say that I’m not surprised that Luna was the one to go the extra step and not Celestia.”

“Ah know you read that book written by that fringe author, you think that’s true about Celestia?”

“Yeah, I do. Celestia has become wiser and more tolerant in her older years – but historically, Celestia believed unicorns were superior until proven otherwise. Luna, even a thousand years ago, wanted to encourage the three pony races to be equals. Accounts indicate that Celestia was reluctant to give pegasi and earth ponies equal standing with unicorns – but Luna, through her dream visiting powers, was ready to create unrest in Equestria if not all ponies were equal. Celestia was forced to do so or her empire would fall apart.”

“Are you sure that’s true, Button?”

“I believe it. I know people think that Quibbler is an extremist kook but I can see it to be honest. We spent years being told that earth ponies could never become alicorns.”

“Ah guess ah have Luna to thank.”

“I’m glad that you and Twilight are taking the realm. I think both of you will make the other types of creatures feel welcome in Equestria – you know, the griffons, yaks, dragons etc.”

“All these creatures have equal rights under the law.”

“I know but you know that there are some ponies out there who hate the changes happening to Equestria and may make terrible decisions based on that hate. Ponies have all these ill preconceived notions especially of griffons. It’s not always out in the open – but something to watch out for.”

“Ah definitely promise that ah’ll make Equestria a great place for every creature. And ah know the training ah’m getting from Luna will help me out with that!”

“The history books ignore it especially since Luna was banished to the moon for a thousand years – but she has always been a champion of rights for all creatures.”

“Ah know, Luna’s a great pony. My new position is going to give me a lot of responsibility.”

“I have faith in you, Apple Bloom. And I know you say that you aren’t interested in finding love – but I hope you do someday.”

“Even if it’s not you”, responded Apple Bloom with a giggle.

“Yeah, even if it’s not me. I think Sweetie Belle is the one for me anyway. Thanks for your advice, Bloom.”

The two of them hugged and said good night. Button Mash then headed home.

Apple Bloom sighed. She remembered why she liked Button Mash in that way. He was so smart and principled – he had real beliefs and didn’t just follow popular opinion like so many ponies did. Button Mash also made Apple Bloom think about things. However, it was for the best that Sweetie Belle had Button Mash. She could offer him support and undivided attention. Apple Bloom didn’t even know who a good match for her would be given her alicorn responsibilities. Neither Celestia nor Luna ever had children or got married. Twilight had a fling with some jackass from the Royal Guard but nothing long term on her end.

Apple Bloom decided that she would need to ask Luna at some point whether alicorns could have a happy love life. It would be hard since almost all stallions would live a much shorter life than her. Maybe that was why most alicorns didn’t have partners. There was Cadence and Shining Armor. An incredible love story which would be told for ages.

What was Apple Bloom thinking anyway? She couldn’t focus on love. She barely knew how to be an alicorn yet! Love was stupid anyway. She was just looking forward to her flight lessons tomorrow night. Apple Bloom could not imagine what it would be like having wings and flying in the sky. Would she be able to do a dash like Rainbow Dash could? Would flying make travel significantly easier for her or would it seem like a chore? So many questions, thought Apple Bloom. Would need to wait until tomorrow.

Author's Note:

Next chapter will involve Apple Bloom learning how to fly. How will that go? Find out!