• Published 27th Oct 2020
  • 2,307 Views, 49 Comments

The Great Equestrian War - Thegrohingnation



War has come to Equestria, between ponies and humans. (Napoleonic style fighting)

  • ...
9
 49
 2,307

Chapter 3

Michael was sleeping peacefully, until he felt a hand shake him on the shoulder. Slowly opening his eyes to see woke him, he is met with the sight of Erik shaking him. Peter is busy getting their luggage off of the overhead rack.

"Wake up. We'll be pulling into the station soon." Erik says. Michael gives a quick stretch, before reaching out for his bag. "12:45." Erik comments looking down at his watch" We should have time to get a quick lunch before we board the ship." The others nod in agreement.

"Ja, I don't know about you two, but I would love one of those sandwiches they have by the harbor." Peter chimes in. Again the other two nod in agreement. They look out the window of their cabin as the train pulls into the Manehattan station. The car lurches forward as the train comes to a stop. Grabbing their luggage, the trio make for the door onto the chaotic station platform. The crowds of ponies traveling to and from the many trains amazes the three humans.

"Wow, I've been in Ponyville for so long, I've forgotten what true city life is like." Michael remarks as a mare accidentally bumps into him. Erik nods in agreement.

"Ja me too, though my city isn't that big."

"Really? You know, I don't think I ever asked you where you're from?" Peter mentions as he takes in the sights of the elegant station. The glass roof allows sunlight to pour in, making for a natural lit building.

"Seriously?" Erik says, turning to his two friends. "You've known me for almost four months and you never asked what town I'm from." He sighs" I'm from Stralsund." Two 'oh's ' come as a reply. Pushing that fact back, they head for an information booth inside the station to grab a map of the city. Upon locating the information booth, Erik pays the 2 bits for a map and heads back over to Michael and Peter. "Ok, so we're here at Grand Saddle Station. We need to go here at pier-90, for the ship,that will take us home." Erik says, tracing his finger along the map. Gathering up their suitcases, they leave the station.

The trio is pushed along, out the elegant doors of Grand Saddle Station to the busy streets of Manehattan. Trying to orient themselves on the map, they decide to look for landmarks to determine which way to go.

"Ok so," Peter starts. He looks around, trying to orient himself on the map." Grand Saddle Station and the Manelife building are behind us. That means we're facing south. Pier-90 is west of here." As they're about to start their journey, Michael comes up with an idea.

"Wait, guys shouldn't we just call for a carriage to take us over there?" Michael slings his bag over his shoulder, before walking to the side of the road. He gives out a whistle and a wave of his arm to the passing carriages. Moments later, a dark green carriage stops in front of him. A short beige colored unicorn peers over the side at him

"Where ya headin' lad?" He asks. Michael motions for Erik and Peter to join him.

"We're on our way to the piers. Pier-90 to be exact." Michael answers. The Coachpony tells them to get in. After placing their luggage in a cage on the back, they climb aboard the carriage.

The ride was mostly quiet, as the trio took in the sights of the city. They passed by several iconic places including Bridleway and the wax museum. Hundreds of ponies, walking down the streets, go about their busy lives. Rounding the bend, the carriage then follows up a road running parallel to the river. Several ships lined the piers. Eventually, after a forty six minute ride, the carriage stopped out front of pier-90. Paying the fee and thanking the driver, the trio heads over to buy tickets. There is a small line, about five families, outside the ticket window. It takes about twenty minutes for the trio to reach the window, where they are greeted by teal mare. Peter steps forward to get the tickets.

"Three passes to Deutschland, please." He says with a smile. The mare looks up at him, before speaking.

"Three tickets, that's thirty bits each. Your total is ninety bits." Peter hands over the money in exchange for three fold pieces of paper. He hands two of them to Michael and Erik. "I would hurry if I were you." The mare says, causing the trio to face her." That ship leaves for Deutschland in one hour." Quickly gathering their belongings, they make their way down the pier to the gangway. There, they got a good look at their ship.It has a Long black hull with a white superstructure. A single yellow smokestack rose from the center, belching out thick black smoke. Two masts sat on the bow and stern.

"This must be it." Erik mutters. The other two turn and look at him." What?"

Michael is quick with a slap on the back of the head." Of course this is it! Why else would we be standing here in front of a ship." Peter only facepalms. “Anyway, let's get on board, maybe they'll still be serving lunch.” A solemn look adored Peter’s face at the realization that they won't be eating in the city. Walking down the pier, they eventually come to the gangway. They all pause for a split second. They are all thinking the same thing, but not speaking it. ‘No going back now.’ With that they board the ship, and begin to settle into their cabin for the four day journey across the ocean. Their room was a small one window cabin. A set of bunk beds adored either side of the room.

“So, now what?” Peter asks, setting his bag on the extra bed. Erik looks up from his bed towards Peter.

“Lunch.” He says getting up from his bunk. Satisfied with that answer, the trio then heads down the hall towards the cafeteria in the hopes to satisfy their hunger.


The School of Friendship is in a panic. Both students and staff are looking for three certain students that disappeared in the middle of the night. It didn't help that nobody noticed they were missing until they were two class periods into the day. The only way anyone knew they were gone, was when Sandbar volunteered to check on them. Upon entering the three humans’ dorm, he was met with nothing. He reported this to Headmaster Twilight, who blew it into a full blown investigation.

After finding no evidence of the trio in neither Ponyville nor the school, Twilight decides to head to their dorm room to search for clues. Upon entering the room, she is met with an empty room. Nothing seems to be out of place, until she notices something odd on the desk that could be overlooked. Stuffed underneath a desk lamp is a folded piece of paper. Unfolding it reveals a rough message that looks hastily written.

To whoever finds this letter, I hope you find it in good condition.

If you are reading this, then we are already on our way to Deutschland. We wish we could have given a proper goodbye. We appreciate what you have taught us here, and we thank you for the opportunity to be at this school. Please know that we hold nothing against you or your teachings. You made us feel at home when we first arrived in Ponyville, and you all have become trustworthy friends. While our four months here may have been short, we have collected a lifetime of memories that we will always cherish. We accept your teachings and beliefs, however we strongly believe that this is our right to defend our homeland from a foreign invasion.

Best wishes and farewell,
Your three Deutsche students

Carefully setting down the letter, several emotions fill Twilight’s mind. ‘They're gone. What if they have to fight? What if they're killed?’ Her mind is racing faster than one of Rainbow Dash’s sonic rainboom. Her breathing becomes rapid.Tears begin to well up in her eyes at the thought of losing three of her students.

“Twilight, are you ok?” A voice calls from behind her causing her to slightly jump. Turning around, twilight is met with the sight of Starlight Glimmer. Starlight has a look of worry on her face.

“Starlight, it's terrible. They're gone.”

“Yeah, we're still trying to find them.”

“No. Gone as in, going back to Deutschland!” Cries Twilight, showing Starlight the letter. Starlight flinches back from the sudden outburst. Unsure of what to say, she simply pulls Twilight in for a hug.

“Don't worry, Twilight. Everything will be fine. Hopefully this whole ordeal will settle itself out.” Starlight says, trying to calm the crying alicorn.” Who knows, maybe it will all be over by Hearth’s Warming.” She says with a shrug.

“THAT’S WHAT THEY ALWAYS SAY!” Twilight exclaims. Taking a deep breath, Twilight makes an attempt to regain her composure. “We just have to look on the bright side of things. We know where they are.” Looking back down at the letter in her hands.” Perhaps we should tell the students that at least we know where they are?”


The following days after the initial invasion and capture of Fort Little Rock, the Deutsche military was on the move. The Army of Southern Deutschland, 38,000 men, make their way south from Munich to stop the Saddle Arabian forces. Leading them is General Wolfgang Niederman. He's an older general from Hamburg, where he attended the Preußische Hauptkadettenanstalt (Main Prussian Cadet Institute). Thanks to his education, he became a brilliant strategist.

The Saddle Arabians spread their forces, in an arc formation, out from their captured fortress. This move allowed them to capture several small towns along the border. It is an attempt to force the Deutsche to spread their forces thin. Small skirmishes have broken out following the series of attacks in the towns between the local garrison and militia versus the pony forces. The result leaves hundreds dead and wounded. When word reaches General Niederman of the enemy movements, he devises a plan. He plans to have a quarter of his army to attack to the front, under the command of General Francis Meulle, while the rest of his army closes in on the side. It's a bold move, but he is hoping that his men can halt the Arabian advances north, until reinforcements arrive from Berlin. Following the movements of the enemy he plans to meet the enemy at their next target of Penzberg. It will be another day's march until either army reaches the town. Deciding to get a head start in the ponies, General Niederman orders his dragoons ahead into town; in order to secure a strong position.

Two brigades, totaling to 6,000 men, of Deutsche Dragoons ride ahead from the army. They arrive late in the day (around 5:00) in the outskirts of Penzberg. At first the townspeople are worried and confused about the sudden arrival of the military. Not wanting any civilians to be in the crossfire, the commanding officer, Brigadier General Windstar, orders the evacuation of Penzberg.

General Windstar stuck out from his fellow officers. While they are all human, he is a teal unicorn. He is a young general, hoping to make a name for himself. His ancestors first came to Deutschland back during the Equestrian Civil War.

The two brigades move quietly through an orchard in order to mask their movements. Finding the edge into an open field. General Windstar and several other officers notice movement through a tree line on the other side of the field. Pulling out his binoculars, General Windstar spots the enemy.

“That's infantry alright. Two or three brigades, but I don't see any cavalry though.” He lowers the binoculars and runs a hand through his silver mane.” Strange, they send their army this far into our land without the aid of cavalry.”

“I don't like it, sir.” One of the officers comments. “What do you make of it?”

“They're heading this way.”

“Sir?”

“That's too big to be a raiding party. That's their main body. There's power behind that.”

“Sir, if you want to fight them here, we've got good ground here. Probably the best damn ground we've seen all day.

“They're most likely going to set up camp on the other side of those trees.” General Windstar says, while looking back down his binoculars.” They will wait until morning to launch their attack, where we'll be waiting for them.” He turns to face his other officers. “We'll move both brigades into town. That'll make the good people happy. Let's move.” With that General Windstar moved his two brigades into the town of Penzberg. They plan to fortify the southern half of the town where the ponies will be attacking from. Spotting a steeple on top of the town hall, he plans to use it as a lookout point over the battle. Later in the evening, as the sun is beginning to set, General Windstar and another couple of officers walk out to where they plan on having their men placed. General Windstar looks out over the field and sighs.

“You know what's going to happen here tomorrow morning?”

“Sir?” He turns back towards his other two officers.

“The whole damn saddler army is gonna be here. They'll move in through the town and occupy the hills behind us. Then, when our boys arrive. They'll already have the high ground. There'll be the Devil to pay.” He releases a sigh. “We have 6,000 men. They'll have an army coming in force. There could be 40,000 coming up that road tomorrow. If we hold this ridge for a couple of hours, we can keep them away. We can block that road, until our main body gets here. We can deprive the enemy of the high ground.

“The boys are ready for a brawl, Sir. No doubt.” One of the officers mentions

“We'll force the ponies to deploy. That's a narrow road, they'll be coming down. Is Calef's battery ready yet?”

“His six guns are deploying now, Sir.”

“Post the cannons here, along this road.” He says, pointing to the road a little ways behind them. Another officer rides up towards the group.

“Sir.” He says with a salute. “My scouts just reported, the whole Saddle Arabian Army is heading this way. They'll be here by morning.”

General Windstar pauses for a moment. “We'll hold here in the morning, long enough for Wilhelm and the infantry to move in. They'll strike us at dawn, I believe we can hold ‘em for a few hours. Just enough for Wilhelm to get here.”

“Hell, General, we can hold them all the livelong day.”

“Alright, Gentleman. Keep a clear eye. Let's get posted.” Before turning for the night, General Windstar sent out a message to the infantry’s location to alert them of his position.


Here's a map to show you the location of Deutschland and Saddle Arabia. This is east of Equestria, across an ocean.

Author's Note:


Ok a couple of things:
Anyone want to edit, that'd be great.
Also if since there will be so many German OC"s, don't expect them to all have perfect German names. If you want, I need German OC's for the Germans and the German Pony Brigade.