• Published 27th Oct 2020
  • 2,307 Views, 49 Comments

The Great Equestrian War - Thegrohingnation



War has come to Equestria, between ponies and humans. (Napoleonic style fighting)

  • ...
9
 49
 2,307

Chapter 5

Trier, Deutschland
May 12, 8:45 am

A cool morning fog rolls across the harbor as the great steamship moves to dock. The soft sounds of the coast are overwhelmed by the horn of the ship moving through the fog. The dock workers of Trier move about tying down the ship to port. Soon, the passengers make their way down the gangway onto dry land.

“Ah, it's good to be home.” Michael exclaims as they walk down the pier. They pass by several shops getting ready to open for the day. Several fishermen were making ready their boats and nets for a day of fishing.

“ You said it.” Peter agreed, practically kissing the pier. “It's going to be nice not constantly smelling the ocean.” The trio continue to make their way into the city before stopping at a large intersection. Michael notices a cable car making its way up the road towards them so they decide to wait and take that instead of walking. The cable car in fact reduces their travel as the small five row trolley rolls along down the cobblestone streets. They pass by several businesses that line the streets of Trier until they reach the city hall.

Dismounting the cable car, the trio notices a rather large crowd gathered in front of the building. Several tables were set up with the Deutsche flag adorned on either side. A group of Deutsche soldiers and officers were gathered around the tables. Further back a band plays patriotic music as a long line of men stretched out from the tables of those waiting to enlist. Mothers, wives, and daughters say their goodbyes to their loved ones still waiting in line. Realizing that this is where they want to be, the trio take their place in the line.

It takes them a whole hour to reach the tables. All that remains is one more person in front of them. When asked about his age, he hesitates before answering.

“ I'm seventeen, sir.”

“Hmm. Too young.” The officer says, while scratching his chin.” I need you to step out of line and have a birthday on your way to the back of the line.” Doing as instructed, the boy steps out of the line before turning and heading towards the back of the line. The officers shout for the next one. Michael is first, as he steps up. The captain sitting there sets a paper down in front of them. To the left of them sat a large stack of blank papers. To the right sat an even bigger stack of papers filled with signatures. Glancing down at the paper, the captain begins to explain it.

“How old are you?”

“19, sir.” Michael answers. The officer proceeds to slide a pen to Michael.

“This paper makes you a private in the Deutsche military.” The captain details sternly.” Signing here will send you to the navy. Signing on this line will send you to the infantry. Please sign your name or make your mark.”

Without hesitation, Michael signs his name for the infantry. Turning his attention back to the captain, he hands the paper back before being given a service cap.

“You are to report to Fort Hammerpeak near Hamburg in one week. Next!” A few minutes later Erik then Peter finishes signing up. A cool silence surrounds the three, as they head towards the train station. None of them know what to say.

“So….” Erik starts, breaking the silence.” I guess we'll be seeing each other at Fort Hammerpeak in a week. That'll be fun right?”

“Yup.” Peter agrees. “I guess this is where we part ways to our separate towns.”

“Right. See you guys in a week.” Michael states. With that the trio go their separate ways at the platforms.


Hanover, Deutschland
May 12,4:34 pm

The large train lurches to a stop as it pulls into the Hanover station. The crowd of people make their way onto the station platform as another crowd makes their way into the cars. From the platforms, the crowds make their way to the streets. Among the crowd lies Peter.

‘It's good to be home.’ He says to himself. With a heavy sigh, he makes his way to the horse drawn carriages to find one to take him home. Eventually he finds one that isn't reserved. A light brown horse with white spots rests in front of a small dark blue carriage. Finding the driver, Peter hires him to take him home. It is a quiet ride for Peter. The only noises are the clopping of hooves against the roads and the turning of the carriage wheels. Glancing out the window, Peter is met with the familiar sights of his home town. Small shops of fresh produce are being packed up for the night as others make their way home for dinner. The steeple of the town courthouse rises above the buildings.

As the sun begins its descent in the sky, the carriage stops in front of a farm just outside of town. As Peter begins to gather his luggage, he notices two kids playing in one of the open fields. Smiling, he makes his way towards the house. Two barns sit next to each other a little way from the house, almost blocking its view from the road. A small fence lines the gravel path towards the buildings. Halfway down the path, the two children notice Peter before running to him as fast as they can.

“Peter! Peter!” They call out. “Your back!”

Dropping his bag, he lowers himself down to embrace the hug that is coming. “Anna, Felix! I've missed you two!” The twins wrap Peter into a hug, talking faster than he can process. “Oh, look how big you two have gotten!”

“We've missed you!”

“What was it like in Equestria?”

What's that funny looking hat you're wearing?”

The last question catches Peter’s attention. Taking it off to show his two younger siblings, he explains. “It's the hat that the uh, the soldiers wear with their uniform.”

Peter struggles a bit trying to word his explanation in a way two eight years old would understand. The twins' eyes fill with awe.

“You're going to be a soldier?” They shout with excitement, before Felix’s face sours. “Does this mean you're going away again?”

“Ja, but if it makes you feel any better, I have a whole week until I have to be in Hamburg.” Peter sighs.

“You're going to Hamburg!” Anna shouts. Suddenly he feels his arms being pulled as his siblings attempt to drag him towards their farmhouse. Following behind them, Peter makes his way to the house.

“Father, father, Peter’s home! Peter's home!” The twins cheer as they burst through the door. Peter meanwhile stops at the door and greets his dog sleeping on the front porch. A minute later heavy footsteps are heard from inside coming towards him. Looking up, Peter sees someone he hasn't exactly been looking forward to seeing. His father stops at the doorway studying Peter. His eyes drift over him before stopping at the hat.

“What the hell are you wearing that for?” He says sternly. “You know how I felt about Thomas.”

Peter takes a deep breath. “Father, I am doing what I believe is my duty to the Fatherland. I'm going to be a soldier in the infantry.”

“Your duty to the Fatherland?” He retorts. “You're going to march off gloriously into battle, and heroically lead the army to victory? You think this is going to be some grand adventure? This is war you've gotten yourself into. There is no happy ending in war! Dammit, didn't you learn anything in Equestria at that school?

“Father please listen.”

“No you listen! I will not lose….”his father stops as he starts to choke up. Tears begin to well up in his eyes. “I don't want to lose both of you to this war, or any war for that matter. I don't want to see you in a box…..being lowered into the ground.” The look in Peter's eyes convinces him that there is no talking Peter out of leaving. He stops as he pulls Peter into a hug, catching Peter off guard. “Promise me you'll come back safe.”

“I promise to come home safely, father. I will come back.”

“When do you have to report?” His father asks, releasing his son from his grip.

“The officer said to be in Hamburg in a week.”

“It is good to see you, Peter, and it looks like you had a safe trip.” The two stand there quietly as his father’s gaze drifts back across him, before he finally invites Peter inside.

Once inside, he makes his way to his old bedroom. Two beds rested inside. One belonging to Peter, the other used to belong to Thomas. Setting his bag by the door, Peter flops down onto his bed as the recent events of the past few days replay in his head. It is all too much for him. To think that a week ago, he was in another country. A week ago, his homeland was invaded. A week ago, he was nothing more than a student in Equestria. His head aches as it runs through it all.

‘It's all happening too fast.’ He says to himself. ‘This feels like a dream. That's it, it's all just a nightmare. I just need to wake up!’

The sudden sound of knocking pulls him from his thoughts. Sitting up, he sees his other sister standing at the doorway.

“Yes, Maria?” He asks.

“Father says to wash up for dinner.” She turns to leave, but Peter calls out to her

“Maria, wait.” She stops and turns back to him. “Do you think I made the right choice?”

“What, about joining the military?” He nods. “Well it's not my place to judge or tell you what you should do with your life, since well, you are older than me. I believe that if you truly believe that this is the right way, then you should follow it through.”

Peter sighs. “Thanks, Maria.”

“Now come on. Father made a pork roast.”At dinner, Peter spends his time telling his family of his time in Equestria. He tells them of the friends that he made, and told them about Michael and Erik. He tells them how the three of them decided to enlist with each other. That night, Peter settles into bed as the past events continue to replay through his mind.


In the days following the heroic defense at Penzberg, two divisions, 22,000 strong, were transported down to the southern border. Commanding them is Major General Thomas Kleist. Their goal is to meet up General Niederman’s army and further strengthen the Deutsche position.

Among the brigades that are deployed south, is the famed pony brigade of Deutschland. Leading the brigade is Brigadier General Smokey McColt, an earth pony born in Equestria who later moved to Deutschland shortly after the return of Princess Luna.

The two divisions currently are making their way to Munich by train. From there, they plan to split the Arabian line in half. General Niederman’s forces are to push east in order to surround the majority of the invasion force. Once the enemy is destroyed, General Niederman's army will move south across the border into Saddle Arabia. General Kleist’s men will travel east to combat the remainder of the invasion forces. All General Niederman needs to do is to hold out until reinforcements arrive.

Since the battle of Penzberg, the Arabian army has retreated south, making their movements closer to the border; with General Wilhelm’s army close behind. Several small skirmishes break out, however nothing too major.


Deutschland countryside
May 12, 2:30 pm

The long train convoy chugs along the tracks. Riding inside amongst the other 22,000, sits a light blue unicorn named Corporal Blauer Himmel. His musket rests next to him as he scribbles down his thoughts into a small journal he brought with him. A small pipe clenched tightly in his teeth softly releases smoke in the cabin. Running a hand through his silver mane, he gazes over the rest of the Pony Brigade. Some are playing cards with those sitting next to them. Others are just talking or telling stories of home.

‘They're all like me.’ He says to himself. ‘All of us volunteered for this. Now we become something greater, for our families and the Fatherland.’

Finishing up writing in his journal. He puts it away before joining a card game with the ponies next to him. Sharing a seat with him is his pegasus friend, Windtalker. His dark mane rests underneath his hat, as it contradicts with his light colored fur.

“Hey, Himmel. Are you finally joining?” He asks.

“Ja. Deal me in.” The group continues to play as the train continues its way towards the war.

Author's Note:


Another handsome chap
Also sorry for the almost 3 month delay, I was sleeping