• Published 1st Aug 2020
  • 1,182 Views, 315 Comments

Ponyville Noire: Misty Streets of Equestria - PonyJosiah13



Scarred from their final encounter with Zugzwang, Phillip Finder and Daring Do struggle to make peace with the past while balancing a slew of new mysteries that will take them beyond Ponyville.

  • ...
3
 315
 1,182

PreviousChapters Next
Case Fifteen, Prologue: The End of Quick Step

Quick Step woke up late that morning and frowned to find that the mattress was unoccupied save for her.

He must’ve left before she woke up. Darn it all, he’d promised that they’d talk about this in the morning. What was with him these days? Always coming back late, putting down the blinds as soon as he got home…he’d never been like this before.

She could blame it on his job, but he’d been working there for years now. Okay, so Eagle Trust always had a shady reputation, but the pay was good and they’d both learned long ago that ponies who keep their heads down and stay quiet are the ones that are left alone.

“What did you do?” Quick wondered to herself, shaking her long blonde mane out of her face as she climbed out of bed. She trotted into the bathroom and quickly showered. She emerged a few minutes later, toweling herself off and lifting a curry brush in her magic to smooth out her cyan coat.

As she trotted into the combination kitchen-dining room, she smiled as she saw the box sitting on the table. Inside the open box, which had arrived yesterday afternoon, was a set of clothing: a baby pink saddle embossed with the image of an airship set before a golden-orange sun, a studded pale yellow collar with a tag labeled with her cutie mark--a lightning bolt and two hoofprints--and four thigh-high golden stockings. The entire ensemble was artistically accented by blue and pale yellow gems, and a trio of blue diamonds was sewn into the back of the collar and the strap of the saddle.

“Rarity, you never cease to amaze,” Quick sighed, running a hoof over the leather material. She’d already tried it on and had not been surprised to find that the entire ensemble fit perfectly, accenting all of her curves (as her coltfriend’s red-faced stare had proven). She purred to herself, remembering how much fun they’d had last night after she put on a private show just for him.

Next to the box was the note that had come with it.

Congrats on the promotion to lead dancer! This was a little gift Rarity and I made for you. Can’t wait to see you in it! XX, Petina.

Quick let out a little delighted noise and trotted in place. Headliner at the Heavenly Bawdy! After years of hard work and practice, of ups and downs! Faust, it felt good!

When she came down from her high, she noticed that something was missing from the sitting room: the brown nylon suitcase with the pen and the gold bar embossed onto the side. Did that mean that he’d gone into work early? Yet another odd change.

As Quick Step ate her breakfast of rice cakes and two bananas, she pondered what he might be doing now.

Maybe he’s meeting with that reporter? she wondered with a frown. Was that...mare even a reporter? She certainly talked a mile a minute. And what kinda creature was she? She’d never seen a unicorn with scales like that.

She shook her head and chugged down her orange juice. Enough. She had to focus on her job now. Headliners couldn’t afford to be distracted. Besides, he’d be back home tonight. And then she’d get some answers.

Closing the box with her new costume in it and balancing it on her back, Quick Step headed for the door, gathering up her purse and...damn it, where'd her backstage key go?

Oh, well. Honey was working the same shift as her this week, she could let her in. Quick opened up the front door of the apartment and paused.

Sitting on the hallway floor outside her door was a small box, covered in pink wrapping paper and adorned with a bow. Quick looked back and forth, but nopony else was to be seen.

“Okay, then,” she said to herself, lifting up the box with her magic and studying it. Curiosity compelled her to open up the box and see what was inside; probably something from some secret admirer, maybe a fan from the Bawdy--

“Ow!”

Quick dropped the box in shock, staring at the spring-loaded needle that had stung her as soon as she’d opened it. The metal appendage glistened strangely in the hallway lights. Quick glanced at the small wound on her hoof, a little trickle of blood running from it.

“Great,” she growled to herself, turning to head back inside for a bandage and some antiseptic. Now what kind of asshole--?

The world tilted on its side and Quick Step tumbled to the carpeted floor, her vision swimming before her eyes in a blur of colors. She coughed heavily, tasting bile.

What was happening? She’d never been sick like this before. She tried to stand up again, but her legs felt like they were made of wet noodles, trembling and refusing to take her weight.

Poison. The realization flashed through her mind with a thrill of horror.

“He...he...help…” she tried to scream, but all she was able to make was a wheezing: it felt like her chest was filling up with cotton, pushing the air from her lungs. She tried to crawl towards the phone, trying to focus on the small table next to the doorway even as blackness started to creep up on the swirling colors.

She tried to climb up, but her legs didn’t work; her horn only briefly flickered in response to her will. She resorted to shaking the table, causing the phone to fall off onto the ground next to her; she felt the clatter through the floorboards, but couldn’t hear it over a rapid thumping in her ears. Her heartbeat, she realized with a sickening chill.

She grabbed the hoofpiece and reached out for the dial. Darkness was creeping over her vision: she had to struggle to focus on the white circle.

Nine…she tried to cough to clear the cotton filling her throat, but she couldn’t summon the effort.

One...the pounding in her head hurt like nothing she’d ever experienced.

One--

The hoofpiece slipped from her grasp. Her chest was being crushed in a car compactor; she tried to suck in air, but her lungs weren’t working. She managed to let out a feeble sob and felt tears burning in her eyes.

Far away, she heard the line click and a voice respond, the sound too indistinct for her to understand.

The blackness overtook her completely. The last thing that crossed Quick Step’s mind was that she didn’t want to die.

Author's Note:

And so starts another case. I'm proud of this one: I wrote this volume intending to bring the Noire series back to its roots, and that's what I think this one does quite well. I've got a couple of new guests coming in on this one, and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to meet one of them!

Like what you read? Leave a like and a comment to show your support!

PreviousChapters Next