• Published 1st Aug 2020
  • 1,167 Views, 315 Comments

Ponyville Noire: Misty Streets of Equestria - PonyJosiah13



Scarred from their final encounter with Zugzwang, Phillip Finder and Daring Do struggle to make peace with the past while balancing a slew of new mysteries that will take them beyond Ponyville.

  • ...
3
 315
 1,167

PreviousChapters Next
Case Seventeen, Chapter Four: Halls of Knowledge

Cuore University sprawled across several acres of well-tended land. At the very center of the campus was a massive, intricately carved fountain crowned by an owl, the base formed by a variety of creatures standing together atop a great stack of books. A row of flagpoles stood behind the fountain, each one carrying the flag of one of the Empire’s cities or regions, and the tallest bearing the flag of the Crystal Empire, the variety of colors flapping in the breeze as the trio approached from the air. Surprised students moved aside as they landed before the two-foot-high stone wall carved with Università del Cuore in agate.

“Ha! I win!” Flash declared, panting.

“Sod off, Sentry, I was ahead of you!” Daring replied as Phillip staggered away.

“Your own fault for carrying him,” Flash smirked.

“Phil, tell him I won,” Daring said to Phil.

“You’re both drongos,” Phillip grumbled, prompting both pegasi to stick their tongues out at him. “Can we get back to work?”

“Fine, fine,” Daring said, turning to a bewildered student. “Sai dov'è l'ufficio del Professor Fossil?” she asked.

The young mare blinked slowly, then pointed to a five-story brick building to the west and gave a few instructions. “Grazie,” Daring said, turning and leading the others away. “Professor Fossil’s office is on the fourth floor of that building there.

The sign outside the stairs declared that this building was the Scienze Fisiche, or Physical Sciences building. The trio proceeded inside, trotting past classrooms and laboratories and lecture halls as they proceeded up to the fourth floor.

A large door to the left of the wide hallway declared Ufficio. They opened up the door to find themselves in a small lobby with a receptionist behind a desk and some chairs that nervous students were waiting in, looking over textbooks and half-finished research papers.

“Posso aiutarla?” the curly red-maned receptionist asked, blinking at the unfamiliar ponies.

Flash pulled out his badge. “Professor Fossil’s office?” he asked.

Her eyes bulging, the receptionist pointed down the hall. “Fourth on left,” she declared.

“Grazie,” Flash nodded as they proceeded past, the eyes of every pony there tracking them.

Daring tried the door to Professor Fossil’s office and found it locked. “Let’s just hope that the other guys didn’t get here first,” she commented to the stallions, pulling out her lockpick set from the hidden pocket in her money bag.

“Priority is Blue Moon’s journal,” Phillip said. “Let’s try to make this quick.”

There was a click as Daring defeated the lock and the door opened wide. “Let’s get to work, boys,” Daring said, inviting them in.

Professor Fossil’s office was a wide room with the shelves lined with books and fossil samples in reinforced glass cases. The desk in the back was covered in papers and notes, and the cabinet was overflowing with syllabi, course paperwork, and worksheets.

“I’ve got the cabinet,” Phillip said, opening the bottom drawer and pawing through the paperwork. Flash headed for the desk while Daring started searching through the shelves, tugging aside books in search of anything.

The minutes ticked away in silence as they worked, pushing aside irrelevant documents in search of clues. “Anything?” Flash asked, tossing aside a folder of students’ term papers.

“No,” Phillip shook his head, ticking through the folders in the last cabinet folder.

Daring sighed as she looked through the planners at the bottom drawer of the desk, flipping through the last one only to find that it held dates from two years ago. “Does this guy throw anything out?” she groused to herself, contemptuously tossing the notebook back into the drawer.

But as she started to close the drawer a thought occurred to her. She pulled out the upper drawer and grabbed a pencil from the desk to confirm her hypothesis. She measured the depth of the upper drawer with a pencil, finding it to be about three inches deep.

Then she tested the bottom drawer and smiled when she noticed that it was a full inch more shallow. Daring jiggled the drawer and heard something rattling around inside beneath the planners.

“There’s something here,” she declared to her companions, pulling the drawer all the way out and placing it on the table, tossing aside the planners. After some prying, she managed to pry aside the false bottom of plywood.

Inside was a manila folder and a black journal with a lock. Daring snatched up the journal and began to work on the lock while Phillip and Flash spilled out the contents of the folder. Inside were maps of the frozen wastes north of the city, sketches of maps, and drawings of strange mechanisms.

Flash picked up one drawing that was littered with notes, all of them drawn in careful lines. The sketch showed a tree-like sculpture composed of bones and skulls, with several mirrors affixed to it.

“Tirek’s Mirror,” Flash noted, studying the sketch and comparing the notes against his rudimentary knowledge of Crystalline. “Maybe these are notes on how to destroy it or something. What’s this?” He picked up another sheet with a twenty-six by twenty-six grid on it, with the alphabet written along the top of each column and to the left of each row. The alphabet was written out in each row, starting with the corresponding letter.

“Oh, I’m gonna need that for the cipher,” Daring said, continuing to work at the journal’s lock.

“This looks like a map,” Phillip said, picking up another sketch. It did indeed show a map, with a compass rose in the top corner. A corridor led into a large area marked “Camera del scheletro,” with more halls branching off from it, some of them leading to dead ends or doubling back. One room to the south was marked with a circle and the label “Specchio.”

“Specchio...mirror. That room there must be the mirror room,” Phillip said, pointing to the circled room.

Setting aside the map, he picked up a set of photographs that seemed to be of a valley with several carven crystal statues placed around them, featuring a variety of ponies in a number of different poses, with epithets and names carved into the bases. If the place had once been a memorial garden, it clearly had been abandoned for years when the photographs were taken, with weeds overtaking the statues and the paths covered in snow. There were also more recent photographs that appeared to be of the same area, but the statues were now in ruins, with only crumbled fragments like puzzle pieces lying around small bases that held only a few hooves and scratched-up memorial plaques.

“Blue Moon mentioned statues, right?” Phillip asked.

“Yeah,” Flash nodded, looking over the pictures. “That might be where the temple is.”

His eye fell on another sketch, and he shuddered in revulsion as he studied it. The beast on it had the black trunk and four legs of a pony, but much larger. Where the head would’ve been instead was a minotaur-like torso, the flesh blood red. The horned head had four faces, all with long white beards, all of them displaying an expression of burning rage and wild bloodlust. Four arms extended from the torso, each of them raised and carrying a bloody weapon: a sword, an ax, a flail, and a javelin. Tirek, the god of war and death, glared up at him.

“Ugh,” Flash shivered as he turned over the drawing facedown.

“Stupid lock, will you…” Daring snarled, fumbling with her picks. “Ha! Got it!” she declared a moment later as the lock clicked, allowing her to open the journal.

The interior was scrawled with seemingly random jumbles of letters, all of them written in the same careful, precise style as the notes on the other sheets. “This is definitely Blue Moon’s journal,” Daring nodded. “Flash, what page was the one that Fossil wrote down?”

“Uh…” Flash quickly checked his notebook. “Page 58.”

Daring quickly flipped to the right page, revealing the lines of enciphered letters. “Okay, this is how a Vigenere cipher works,” Daring said, taking the sheet with the rows of alphabets and another clean sheet of paper, which she began to scrawl a note on. “The cipher uses a keyword for encryption: in this case, probably ‘Tirek.’ When you’re encoding a message, you write out the message with the keyword under it, like this.”

FALL BACK
TIRE KTIR

“Then you encrypt it by finding the row that matches the message and the column that matches the keyword, and use the matching letter,” Daring continued. “For example, row F and column T gives us ‘Y.’ Encrypt the rest of the message and we get this.”

Yicp lktb.

“To decrypt it, you do kind of the opposite,” Daring continued to Flash. “You take the row that matches the keyword, find the encrypted letter on it, and match it with the column letter to give you the decryption. For example, if we go to row T, we find that Y is in the ‘F’ column. In row I, the letter I is in the A column, and so on. You see?”

“I think so,” Flash nodded as Phillip started writing down a translation, frowning in concentration. “So unless you know the keyword, it’s impossible to crack?”

“Well, no, but it is really hard to do so,” Daring said. “The cipher was thought to be impossible to crack for centuries.” She glanced at Phillip’s work so far. “‘Tempio osseo si trova…’ Yup, seems to be working. Flash, keep checking the other stuff while we work on this.”

Flash studied the rest of the folder’s contents, taking note of an itinerary, a list of artifacts, sketches by the late professor, and a few photographs of work sites, featuring a variety of ponies digging through the snow and searching pits interlaced with grids of string. Daring and Phillip worked together to decrypt the journal entry, with Daring translating the Crystalline as they went.

After several minutes, Daring pulled away from the sheet. “Got it!” she announced, showing their work to Flash.

The Bone Temple is located in the Valley of Statues, accessed through a doorway in the ground. The doorway is within sight of the bringer of light and behind the intemperate one. Draw blood with a silver blade and drip it onto the lock while declaring, “Img-yaah, ghu-eog vet an’gyaari.” Key is in west corridor in false idol’s mouth. Touch faces counterclockwise after inserting key, starting from 6.

“What do you think any of that means?” Flash asked.

“We’ll figure it out,” Daring shrugged. “Bet Twilight might be able to help us out once we get to the Valley.”

“What, we’re going now?!” Flash cried.

“What’d you think?” Daring replied, already heading for the door. “C’mon, let’s get moving. Back to the precinct.”

Flash groaned. “Yeah, yeah, I’m coming,” he sighed, picking up the translation and following the others out. “You know, when I signed up to be a cop, going into dangerous underground temples dedicated to the Old Gods in search of weapons of mass destruction wasn’t part of the job description.”

“That’s why you have an experienced treasure hunter,” Daring smirked as they proceeded down the hallway.

“So tell me,” Flash said, glancing at the note as they headed down the stairs. “Does finding ancient temples always involve weird riddles and traps?”

“Sometimes,” Daring shrugged. “Most of it is really just backtracking purchases and digging through history books to figure out where it was last seen and then picking up the trail there. More than once, I’ve found whatever treasure I was hired to find in a pawnshop because some schmuck sold it off for a tenth of what it was worth…”

Phillip tuned Daring out as they rounded the last landing and headed down the last flight of stairs to the ground floor of the building. There were only a few ponies on the floor, some students talking to each other on the way to class, a young mare speaking to whom he discerned was a teacher’s assistant, a white-bearded janitor sweeping the floors next to the stairs. Shfft, shfft, went the broom against the tiled floor.

Phillip froze on the bottom step, something prickling at the back of his head. Daring and Flash, who had been discussing a passage in the translation, nearly bumped into him as they stopped suddenly. Their cries of surprise caused most of the other ponies’ heads to turn towards them, save for the janitor, who continued to sweep the floor at a steady rhythm: shfft, shfft.

“What’s wrong?” Daring asked.

Phillip sniffed the air, closing his eyes to focus on the bitter, oily scent itching at the back of the nostrils. What was that? Why was it familiar…?

Shfft, shfft. The janitor continued his work, his head down as he concentrated.

Lumber Bear brand chewing tobacco.

Phillip whipped his head around to face the green unicorn stallion sweeping the floors next to him. He was about four feet tall, wearing a loose, rumpled green jacket that didn’t quite cover her cutie mark of a snowflake...which glimmered unnaturally in the light, declaring its artificiality from up close. His well-trimmed beard was a snowy white color, stained light brown around the lips. His blue eyes, magnified behind the thick glasses seemed to be focused on his work, but the corner of his eye was fixed upon the trio on the stairs.

A single bead of sweat appeared on the back of the false janitor’s neck. Shfft.

A heartbeat later, the janitor thrust the broom handle at Daring like a spear, the end ramming into her throat; the mare staggered back, a startled choke turning into a coughing fit. Dropping his improvised weapon, the janitor fled down the hall, his horn lighting up with a blue aura.

That same aura ensnared the translation in Flash’s hoof and tugged it out of his grasp. “Hey!” Flash shouted, vaulting the railing and taking flight.

Still coughing and leaning against the wall as she fought for breath, Daring angrily waved Phillip away. “I’m fine!” she rasped, massaging her throat. “Get him!”

Growling, Phillip vaulted the railing as well and chased after his foe, his hooves pounding against the floor.

Carrying the translation in his mouth, the bearded unicorn pounded down the hallway, startled students and faculty diving out of his way and staring in disbelief.

“Stop! Fermare!” Flash ordered, pushing his wings harder. He gritted his teeth as he closed the distance, hooves stretching out to seize the short tail…

The unicorn turned and glared over his shoulder and his horn lit up again. A blast of icy wind rammed into Flash like a cannon blast, frost assailing his body like thousands of needles. Flash cried out as he tumbled back, somersaulting through the air. Phillip leaped aside just in time to avoid the stallion, grunting as he fought the magical gale. Papers and hats flew past him, drawing cries of alarm and dismay from the other ponies.

The unicorn reached the back door and barged through it shoulder-first, slamming it behind him as the cold wind died away. Phillip sprinted the last few feet and shoved through the door.

For a split-second, he caught sight of his target sprinting across trimmed grass lawns, heading for the parking lot mere yards away. Then his brain registered the metallic clattering on the ground in front of him. He looked down just in time to register the small black cylinder perforated with holes on the step before him.

It was too late for him to cover his eyes. The flare burned into his retinas, washing his vision in white; the pressure wave struck him like an anvil and his ears felt like they’d burst, all sound crushed by a wave of tinnitus. The hard touch of the concrete told him that he was lying on his back on the ground, clutching his ears.

Flash and Daring both burst through the door to see Phil on the ground, eyes closed and a grimace of agony on his face; a few other ponies were staggering away, clutching their faces and ears and crying out in pain.

The screeching of tires made them look up just in time to see a blue two-door car with tinted windows screeching out of the parking lot and disappearing into the sea of cars rushing through the highway.

“I got him!” Daring shouted, taking to the sky and streaking after him like a missile.

Flash bent over Phillip. “Phil? Can you hear me?” he called.

“Gimme a minute,” Phillip said, shaking his head as he slowly rolled over onto his hooves, breathing slow and deep as he recovered. “Help the others. Get police here.”

“Right,” Flash nodded, heading for a nearby stallion who was holding his eyes and moaning in pain. In the distance, he heard the wailing of sirens as police and ambulances raced towards them.


The blue two-door Alfalfa Poneo screeched around the corner, nearly rising up on two wheels as the driver fought for control. Daring flew over a city block to keep after her target, growling to herself as she watched civilians swerve out of the way of the maniac.

The maniac blazed through a stop sign, leaving a chorus of screeching tires and blaring horns in his wake, then ran up onto the sidewalk to cut around another intersection, heading left: a turn that brought it within reach of Daring.

“Gotcha!” Daring shouted in triumph, diving down like an eagle towards a mouse. She seized the passenger door handle, hanging on tight as the vehicle raced down the streets, pulling her along with it.

The window smashed outward, glass shards clawing at her face and drawing blood, and Daring flung her head back just in time to avoid the streaks of red light that roared past her face, so close that she felt the heat of the castfire striking her in the face.

The car jerked violently to the right and Daring was tossed like a lifeboat in a storm, flailing as she desperately tried to hang on. “Why is it never easy?” she snarled, the door handle nearly sliding out of her sweat-coated hoof.

A blaring horn made her look up and she gasped as she spotted the headlights of the oncoming truck. The truck that her target was swerving towards.

“Shit!” Daring screamed, releasing the handle and rocketing up into the air. She caught a glimpse of the truck driver’s open-mouthed gape of panic behind the windshield as she passed it, dodging multi-ton death by inches. Panting, Daring whipped her head back and forth and spotted the car heading down a side road that ran alongside the green waters of the Tiberein.

“Oh, no, you don’t!” Daring snarled, darting back after her target.

But before she had a chance to close the distance, the two-door swerved onto a bridge over a river, then jumped over the railing. For a moment, the vehicle with its smashed passenger window hung in midair, the driver’s side door opening. Then, with a great crash and a plume of water, it landed in the water and quickly began to sink.

“Motherfucker!” Daring cried in a mixture of surprise and frustration and dove down. Gulping in a breath, she breached the surface of the dark green water. A shock of cold ran through her body as the water enveloped her like an embrace, all sound turning into a deep churning.

The car was sinking ahead of her, a dark shape against the murky shadows, groaning as if in death. The driver’s and passenger’s doors were both open. Daring swam forward, pushing herself with her legs and her wings, and peered inside the car.

Empty. Daring looked around but could see no sign of the driver, just dark against dark. Letting out a muffled grunt of anger, Daring swam for the surface.

She breached the surface and gulped down some air, head twisting back and forth like the periscope of a submarine. There were a few boats bobbing on the river, but no sign of any bearded ponies swimming away. “Shit,” Daring cursed, slapping the water and heading for shore.

Bastard has Flash’s translation and now he’s after the temple, she cursed as she swam. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Shouldn’t have flashed it around like that when you knew that others were looking for it!

Daring sighed as she climbed up onto the shore, shaking herself off and flinging water over a small crowd of startled onlookers. At least we still have the journal. We’ll just be slightly behind them. Spreading her wings, she took off and headed back for the university. Sure hope the others are having better luck than I am.


“Do you cause this much mayhem back in Ponyville?” Captain Orrizonte scowled at the trio as they stood in the parking lot of Cuore University. The spinning lights of the ambulance parked nearby illuminated the marshal captain’s face in angry tones of red and blue, accentuating the lines of his severe scowl.

“Actually, this is a good day for us,” Daring shrugged. “Ow!” she added a moment later when both Phillip and Flash elbowed her.

Captain Orrizonte looked over at the ambulance, studying the injured ponies whose burns were being tended to by paramedics. Around them, gendarmes questioned witnesses and patrolled the area, holding back the crowds of stunned onlookers. “You should have told us about what you were doing here,” he groused at them. “If a gendarme had been here, this could’ve been avoided and our culprit might be in custody at this moment. Instead, ponies could have died and now we must search the length of the river for him!”

“We already know where he’s going, captain,” Daring protested. “The Bone Tem--”

“We are already bringing in Professor Fossil’s colleagues for questioning,” Captain Orrizonte interrupted her. “We are already taking every precaution. Our priority is stopping a madpony, ‘detective.’ Not hunting for relics left behind by a tyrant that are better off left alone. And speaking of which…”

He extended a hoof. “That journal is evidence. Give it here, please.”

Flash took a step back, raising one hoof towards his jacket, beneath which was Blue Moon’s journal. “Give it to me,” Orrizonte glared. “You are making a mistake by crossing me, boy.”

Phillip, his face bandaged and coated with pale orange salve, put a hoof on Flash’s shoulder with a warning glance. Flash hesitated for a moment, then took the book out of his jacket with a scowl. Orrizonte reached out to take the book, but Flash refused to let go.

“All due respect, Captain,” he declared, glaring. “It’s Detective Sentry.” He released the journal with a grunt.

“Not in my country, boy,” Orrizonte scowled. “And if you three continue interfering--”

His speech trailed off when he spotted a limousine with two small purple flags attached to the hood pulling into the lot and parking in front of them. The back door opened and a Crystal Guard in an impeccable suit and tie stepped out, scanning the area with eyes hidden behind dark sunglasses before nodding and stepping aside.

A moment later, Emperor Shining Armor emerged, adorned in a bulletproof vest with purple wards woven into the fabric. A saber with a golden handle and a pistol were strapped tight to his sides. His prosthetic leg caught the late morning sun as he exited the car.

Captain Orrizonte and the other gendarmes all immediately snapped to attention and saluted as the onlookers dropped to their knees. Shining raised a hoof to acknowledge their salutes as Twilight and Spike stepped out of the car, followed by another Guard. The Emperor proceeded to speak to the injured ponies as Twilight and Spike hurried over to the detectives.

“What happened?” Twilight asked.

“Wanker was here,” Phillip said. “He got the translation from us and bolted.”

“You guys all right?” she asked, studying Phillip’s face, wincing at the salve-treated burns.

“We’re fine, Twily,” Flash reassured her.

Shining trotted over to the group. “Is there a problem, Captain?” he asked Orrizonte.

“All due respect, Your Highness,” Captain Orrizonte replied with a scowl. “I have to question your judgment when you entrust confidential information to a group of outsiders with a reputation for bending the law and causing trouble.”

“Hey!” Twilight shouted. Daring growled at the captain, raising her hoof as the mark began to burn once more. Her heart began to speed up in response to the guilt and anger, stirring the hot red liquid in her gut.

“Captain, all due respect,” Shining said placidly. “I trust these ponies because of their proven history with difficult, sensitive cases. Including cases that involve dangerous magic.”

Orrizonte scowled. “Four civilians and a rookie detective,” he protested. “Hardly the type that I would call in for a dangerous mission.”

“My decisions are my own, Captain,” Shining said coolly. “If you wish, we can discuss this further later. But for the moment, I need to talk to them.”

Orrizonte scowled but grunted. “As you wish,” he grumbled, turning and walking away to confer with another gendarme.

“Sorry about him,” Shining said. “He’s an excellent officer, just a bit too single-minded.” He bent down closer. “Twilight told me about the pony you’re after,” he said. “A tall unicorn with a white beard, possibly ex-special forces, chews Lumber Bear dip?”

“Blue eyes, drives a two-door Alfalfa Poneo, license T-H-3-4-9-1,” Daring recited, trying to take her mind off of the burning.

Shining sighed. “I hoped it wouldn’t be him,” he said, pulling a photograph out from beneath his jacket.

The black and white picture displayed a group of ponies in Equestrian army uniforms kneeling in formation, all of them smiling at the camera. Shining Armor was standing in the middle of the back row, his uniform sleeves adorned with golden clover leaves and his hind leg still made of flesh instead of crystal.

“This picture was taken in early 1943,” Shining Armor said. “Because of my knowledge of magic, I was enlisted for a task force dedicated to locating and destroying Sombra’s magical artifacts.” He pointed to a green crystal unicorn standing to his left in the photo. The middle-aged stallion wore his white mane cropped close and he wore a Crystal Army uniform rather than Equestrian, with three gold stars and a crown on his sleeves. His cutie mark was an arrow piercing a snowflake.

“Think that’s him,” Phillip nodded.

“That’s Colonel Frostbite,” Shining said. “A defector from the Crystal Army. He and his aide-de-camp, Sergeant Skyline, headed up the task force.” He indicated a blue pegasus with a blonde mane, a toothy grin, and the cutie mark of the sun behind a city skyline standing next to Frostbite. “After the war, he decided to stay in Cuore. I’ve been to his house a few times: that car he used is definitely his, I know the license plate.” He sighed and shook his head. “The war left him with pretty severe PTSD, especially after Persano.”

“What happened at Persano?” Flash asked.

“It was late in the war, summer of ‘44. We were ambushed on the way back from a mission,” Shining explained, flexing his prosthetic hind leg. “I lost this, and half of the squad didn’t make it back home. Frostbite took it the worst; he had to be dismissed as mentally unfit for duty. And as the ranking officer, I was put in charge.” He shook his head sadly.

“Marshal Facet is already heading to his home to check on him,” Twilight reported.

“And they’re already searching the river for him,” Flash said. “If we’re lucky, they’ll find him.”

“They won’t,” Shining said. “Frostbite and Skyline were both geniuses at throwing pursuers off the track; can’t count the number of times they outran Sombra’s secret police even when they should’ve been completely cornered.” He shook his head. “Matter of fact, driving into the Tiberein like that is completely in-character for him.”

“Sounds like you might’ve been friends,” Spike commented to Daring.

“Yeah, if he hadn’t gone loopy,” Daring said. “No offense,” she added quickly in response to Shining’s glare.

“You still got the journal?” Twilight asked.

“Yeah,” Flash said, handing it to her. “We can still translate the passage.”

“That should be our next stop,” Daring said determinedly. “Frostbite will be heading there next.”

“You’re not saying we go now, right?” Flash said reluctantly.

“No, too dangerous,” Daring said.

“Did you just say ‘too dangerous?’” Phillip asked with a small smirk.

Daring gave him a Flying Feather through a smile. “First we need to do some research about the area and ask Blue Moon some more questions,” she said.

“And get some lunch,” Spike said, his sentence punctuated by the loud growling of his stomach.

“Research?” Twilight asked, her eyes lighting up. “The Cuore Library and Historical Society is just a few blocks from here, and there’s a cafe right next door! C’mon, Shiny!” she cried, diving back into the limousine.

“Shiny?” Flash asked Shining Armor.

“A foalhood nickname,” Shining replied, raising an eyebrow at Flash. “There something wrong with that?”

“No, sir!” Flash gulped, his hind legs starting to shake.

Shining chuckled. “Ah, you make it easy, kiddo,” he grinned, leading them towards the limo.


“You still got it, sir?” Skyline asked, watching the boats slowly trawling across the river.

“I have it,” Frostbite replied, pulling the small waterproof bag out of his coat and extracting the stolen note out of it.

“What do you suppose any of that means?” the sergeant asked, leaning over his shoulder and studying the references to the intemperate mare and the bringer of light.

“We’ll figure it out,” Frostbite replied, tucking the note away and reversing his coat, revealing the reddish-brown interior. Pulling the makeup kit out of the bag, he set to work applying a false sun and horseshoe cutie mark over his flanks to cover the snowflake and arrow. “We’ll have to get a silver knife and a new vehicle.”

“They’ll all be after us now, sir,” Skyline replied, his head swiveling back and forth.

“They will,” Frostbite acknowledged, taking out a razor and shaving off his beard. “But they can’t stop us. Not even Finder and Do can stop us.”

Author's Note:

Twists and turns and revelations abound!

Next week, we've got a temple to explore and a desperate stallion to confront. But in the meantime, please make sure to leave a like and a comment to show some support. It really does help me in the writing process!

PreviousChapters Next