• Published 20th May 2020
  • 1,033 Views, 192 Comments

The Nightmare Knights Become A Band - SwordTune



Frustrated with her sister's free spirit and new adventures, Luna resolves to find something new to live for, now that she is retired. The answer: A power metal band. And who better to join her on her quest than the Nightmare Knights?

  • ...
7
 192
 1,033

PreviousChapters Next
Verse 3

“We’ll need a sound mixer, a drummer, and probably another guitarist.” Starlight’s advice was more than helpful. Even if it was just to goad her to admit what she truly liked, Luna felt bad for calling her a casual fan.

Starlight proved she understood what it took to make a band, at least the basics of one. And, with a few trips by teleportation, she had brought all her old equipment from her room to the castle. Next to the Map of Friendship, Starlight put together an old drum kit and propped up her two electric guitars. Both were in excellent condition still, and custom painted and shaped to fit a skull and horror aesthetic.

They still seemed to make Starlight uncomfortable, but Luna could not mistake the glimpses of affection in her actions. Starlight handled her instruments like she was a museum curator examining a decaying parchment.

“I will not force you to do this if you have reservations,” Luna reminded Starlight while gently strumming one of the guitars. “Just knowing I have your support fills me with great joy.”

Starlight fastened tight the last leg on her drum kit and stood up. “Sorry, do I seem nervous? That’s probably because I am. I sent my students home for the day and closed the castle, but you never know with kids. They might sneak in just to ask a question that can’t wait.”

“So, you’re ashamed to let ponies see all this then?” Luna held up Starlight’s skull-painted guitar.

“No,” Starlight levitated it away from her and set it on the map table. “Well, yes. Before I did my whole ‘villainy’ thing, I was a weird kid. In a small town like Shire’s Hollow, that kind of label just sticks.”

“I know the feeling well, but we have both grown beyond that.” Luna put a hoof over Starlight’s shoulder.

Before they could continue with their list of band necessities, a knock on the map room doors interrupted them.

Trixie’s voice called out. “Starlight? I wasn’t sure I was supposed to meet inside or outside the castle. I know you locked the doors but there was an open window so I let myself in. You haven’t forgotten about our picnic, have you?”

“Of course not, dearest friend of mine who I cherish more than kites! I’ll be right out.” Starlight squealed.

“Uh, okay? That’s a weird way to say it though.”

Luna looked over Starlight with a curious face. “You should have told me that you already had a date planned. We didn’t need to set all this up here so soon.”

“I know, but I forgot I told Trixie I was free this evening,” Starlight whispered. “Just help me teleport all these instruments to the castle storage room!”

“I’m afraid I haven’t spent much time in this castle, I can’t form an image of the storage room they need to go to.”

“Okay, I’ll take care of it. Just don’t let Trixie see you. She’s good at getting answers out of me, once she sees you she’ll ask questions until I snap.”

Starlight teleported herself and the drum kit first, leaving the guitars out on the map table. Luna stood over them, admiring the duality of a perfect crystal table holding up death-themed guitars.

“What’chya looking at?”

“Wagh!” Luna jumped at the sound of Trixie. She whipped around to find that the blue magician had somehow found her way into the map room.

“Trixie, what a… pleasant surprise! What are you doing here?”

“I thought I heard Starlight teleporting,” Trixie looked around. “What’s with the guitars? And what are you doing here?”

“I-I… well… it’s a long story,” Luna stammered, stepping back to make some distance.

Trixie nodded. “Oh, I see how it is. That must have been you teleporting, right? You waited for Starlight to get ready for our picnic so you could ask me to help you with another adventure, right? The Nightmare Knights are forming again?”

“I suppose that’s not entirely false,” Luna muttered, “and it is an adventure, of sorts.”

“Well, I’m not surprised you have need of the Great and Powerful Trixie’s services, but I’m afraid I have to decline. I’ve been working hard to make Starlight’s vision for the school come true. Students have so many problems that even I don’t know how to answer all their questions.”

Luna blinked. “That must be quite a shock.”

“I know!” Trixie threw up a hoof. “Never has the Wise and Conscientious Trixie ever had her wisdom challenged like this.”

“Well, in that case, I suppose I’ll have to ask some pony else. I’ll have to leave the guitars here if that’s alright. Just don’t make a big deal of it to Starlight. It is Nightmare Knight business, after all.”

“Trixie can be as tight-lipped as she is great, Princess.”

“It’s just Luna, now,” she replied. “An adventure can wait but friends should always be by each other’s side. Starlight is lucky to have you.”

“And I’m lucky to have her too.”

Luna let herself out of the castle, taking the same path out the front door that she came. Starlight would probably understand that she had to leave once she came back to find Trixie. And as long as Trixie believed the guitars belonged to her and not Starlight, no questions would be asked. Luna hesitated just outside the castle.

It felt a little rude to leave without notice, but she knew Starlight was the kind of pony who could play along fast and think on her hooves. Still, a short discussion later tonight in the dream realm would probably be for the best.

Luna watched the sky turn orange, shades of purple and pink fast on its heels. She imagined Twilight was used to the routine by now, managing the sun and moon and even the odd nightmare here and there. But Equestria was in a new time of peace. Even now, without ponies exposing their minds to their dreams, Luna’s heart felt lighter.

There was less fear.

“Maybe I shouldn’t,” she put her hood up as she walked into town. There were things she wanted to sing about so she could finally lift the last weights off her chest. But if they stirred the fears again, it would only mean more trouble.

Was it her fate to be hounded by fear? If not her own, then the responsibility to the fears of others? The night was something that should be loved. For all that had changed, Equestria was still much the same in that regard. And ponies like Starlight, like herself, would still be the weird ones.

Ponies one by one retired to their homes, readying supper and relaxing for another night with their friends and families. This night, like many others, was good. And if it were only her that knew what being shunned felt like, Luna believed she could accept it if it meant ponies could enjoy their nights in peace and security.

But where was the place for the blank flank who could not find the CMC? Where was the place for the misfits when Twilight could not find them? Where was the place to the filly too quiet to step out of her sister’s bigger shadow?

Among the retiring families, Luna spotted one house split from the rest, its lights turned on and doors flung open.

“Honestly, Vinyl. Half your equipment doesn’t work, just throw it out!”

Luna turned her head. Now there was a thought. It was well known that Ponyville did not lack in musical culture. Renowned cellist Octavia resided in Ponyville when not performing. The Ponytones, too, had a small cult following in major cities around Equestria. And since her debut as Rara, it was no secret that the Apple family farm had some connection to the pop-genre giant.

Electronically distorted wub-wub-wubbing slowly dissipated from the house. Perhaps, if she got enough members together, there could be a strong audio mixer waiting in Ponyville for her band.

But, that would be if she could find a few good players. Luna turned back to the main street and headed directly to the Sugar Cube Corner. She could teleport back to Silver Shoals for the night, but there was no chance she’d leave without a treat from the most famous bakery in town.

Luna pondered what flavours she felt like having. “Just a doughnut or two for tonight.”


Or three or four. Perhaps five.

No sooner than when she took the first bite did self-control leave Luna’s mind, body, and soul. It wasn’t just the doughnuts. The baker, Mrs Cake, was proving herself to be a most excellent confidant, Luna decided. With the store closed for the night, she made a special exception and they sat together at the counter, trading their thoughts.

“Sounds like you’re going through a lot, hun,” she said as she laid out a second platter of mini-doughnuts. “These should set you straight. The Sampler Platter’s a popular one around here.”

“So this is what ponies are eating these days?” Luna filled her devouring maw with no complaints. “I don’t mean to sound condescending, but the life of a commoner seems to have an endless list of joys.”

“Oh-ho, well,” Mrs Cake laughed, “I wouldn’t exactly call this one common. It’s one of our best sellers, but only because Pinkie Pie’s one of our biggest buyers. Sometimes I think the employee discount’s the only thing keeping her working here.”

“I know she works now as an advisor to Twilight,” Luna said, “does it make it busier around here?”

“You know, not really,” Mrs Cake answered. “Now, don’t get me wrong, it sure is a lot busier around here, but I think that’s just Ponyville getting bigger. That new school’s bringing in a lot more folks. Parents like to grab a bite before they see how their kids are doing. Usually, they buy something to-go, too.”

“Meet any musicians?” Luna asked.

She shook her head. “Not the kind you’re looking for, I’m afraid. Have you looked anywhere else? I’m sure you know how big Equestria can be.”

“Yes, but there still aren’t many to fit what I need. I know of one other pony who might be interested, but it will need a trip beyond the Crystal Empire to reach her. Then there’s some pony in Ponyville who can help with the sound mixing. That still leaves me short a drummer, plus I’d like a backup vocalist. I’m afraid my own range might not be enough for what I’m dreaming up.”

“Well, I don’t know if she can play any music, but I think I know some pony who shares some of what you’re feeling right now.”

Luna washed down her ninth doughnut with a mouthful of root beer. “Truly? Might you know where I can find her?”

“Sure do,” Mrs Cake nodded. “She said she’s staying with Rainbow Dash for a few nights. An old friend, apparently.”

“Then I’ll have to take the rest of these delightful deserts with me, Mrs Cake,” Luna stood up out of her seat.

“Don’t worry, I have just the thing.” Mrs Cake hurried to the kitchen and back, returning with a long folding cardboard box.

“Another one of Pinkie Pie’s favourites?” Luna asked, judging by the size of the box.

Mrs Cake laughed. “Your sister’s actually. It’s funny, she cannot get enough of our miniature sponge cakes. We used to have to ship one of these to Canterlot every week.”

Luna nodded gently in pondering thought. “For better or worse, that does not surprise me.”

PreviousChapters Next