• Published 20th May 2020
  • 1,031 Views, 192 Comments

The Nightmare Knights Become A Band - SwordTune



Frustrated with her sister's free spirit and new adventures, Luna resolves to find something new to live for, now that she is retired. The answer: A power metal band. And who better to join her on her quest than the Nightmare Knights?

  • ...
7
 192
 1,031

PreviousChapters Next
Verse 8

“...by the dawn, we depart,

Fear and hate in our hearts

So forever we know that we are…”

Svengallop stopped the recorder once again. Their recording studio, a storage room in the back of the Castle of Friendship, had become considerably smaller. Lunch boxes, now empty, brought by Glitter Drops rested on a table behind Lightning Dust’s drum kit. Meanwhile, all of Svengallop’s equipment that Luna could teleport from Chicoltgo was stacked against the side of the wall.

“What was wrong this time?” Luna asked.

“You need to use your stronger voice, Princess,” Svengallop rubbed his temples, “or else there’s no way you’re going to compete with the guitars chords. The words can’t come through clearly enough.”

He picked up a stack of tapes sitting on top of his keyboard. “Each of these is an individual recording. Sure, I can play them over each other and mix them into a good song, but that’s not going to pass. Kids these days want bigger and better: better audio quality, cleaner playback, the works.”

“That attitude won’t help anything,” Tempest rolled her eyes. “I can hear Luna just fine. You’re being dramatic.”

“Yeah!” Lightning Dust joined in protest. “No pony tells me how to play but me.”

“Ladies, I’m sure Luna picked Svengallop because he knows what he’s talking about,” Starlight calmed them down. “None of us are perfect, anyways. So let’s give him a chance. The sooner we stop arguing, the sooner we can finish up. I promised Trixie I’d go with her to a comedy show tonight to help get ideas for her next act.”

“Affirmative,” Tempest nodded, “Glitter Drops found us a place to rent while we’re taking our leave of absence from the Northern Patrol. I said I’d take a tour of the place with her.”

“Well then,” Svengalloped huffed, “aren’t we all just so very busy. Just focus on the music around you and keep the volume balanced.” He got on his keyboard and pointed to Starlight. If Luna won’t use her ‘royal voice,’ then you’ll have to pull back on your riffs. This isn’t an outdated Shadow’s Sabbath album.”

“I will try to ignore that you said that,” Starlight forced a cheerful smile.

Luna nodded with a grin, and after a minute to warm up again, the Nightmare Knights resumed their rehearsal. It was here. Her dream was at her hooves, ready to be taken. They could make their first single to get ponies’ eye on them and then follow up with an album. Or, take themselves straight to the stage and announce themselves with a performance.

She wondered if this was how Celestia felt about her theatre fantasies. To be part of a larger group who came together for the sake of art, art that could stell a story. Twice more they practised until Svengallop was confident that found a balance between themselves.

“The song’s not flawless,” he said, “but no pony’s out of sync or drowned out, so I guess I can’t fault it. I’m humble enough to admit I don’t know the taste of heavy metal fans.”

“Well, I think it sounds great, Luna,” Starlight said.

They packed their sound equipment and stowed their instruments safely away before returning for the night. In Svengallop’s case, Luna simply teleported him back to Chicoltgo, right outside his apartment building. She’d have to fetch him again for their next rehearsal, but with magic that was barely an inconvenience. And back in Ponyville, Luna wished the Nightmare Knights a good evening as they departed before allowing herself to show off her excitement.

“Haha!” she cried out, spreading her wings to go flying away from the castle. “Oh heaven, I cannot wait to see Celestia’s face when she sees us perform. I wonder where it’ll be. Somewhere here in Ponyville? Perhaps we can put on a show in Canterlot.” The possibilities filled Luna with new excitement. “Or even Madison Mare Garden? To go there as a performer instead of a guest would be…”

She reeled herself back a little bit. Madison Mare held the largest and most prestigious venues in all of Equestria. Some of the best musicians in the world had gone through their careers without ever getting a spot on its stage. And those who did fought hoof and horn for it. Even if she did get a chance to perform there, what would it mean?

When she was a princess, she had the power to add or remove performers from Madison Mare with her reputation and status alone. Ponies went to great lengths just to please royalty, even when it was uncalled for and undeserved.

“I’ll have to start somewhere small,” she conceded to herself. But since she had been in Silver Shoals these past months, Luna knew she was out of the loop upcoming festivals or events to perform at. It couldn’t hurt to ask Starlight, but she was so busy with the school lately, Luna doubted that she’d know anything more.

And Svengallop had only kept his eye on hip-hop or pop stars. A definite no-go for a metal band. If they were going to perform, it had to be in front of the right crowd. Well, perhaps a little shopping could jog her brain.


Any other city in Equestria would have had season changes to their party supply store. Nightmare Night, Hearth’s Warming, then Winter Wrap-up celebrations, the cycle of business was dependent on the cycle of parties. But no other place in Equestria was the home to a pink party pony named Pinkie Pie.

Luna could think of no other reason why a party supply store would be so overstocked during an offseason. No amount of local birthday parties could justify the rows of party hats, capes, confetti and poppers. Unless, of course, there was a pony who found every day to be a reason to celebrate.

Luna packed her cart with a few black cloaks, a suitable base for the costumes of the Nightmare Knights, and white and black face paint. Those were about the only things in the whole shop that could match her band’s theme.

“Perhaps I should hire Rarity to design us some costumes,” Luna pondered to herself. Like with every pony else, she had an awkward conversation with the pony at the checkout counter. She couldn’t tell if it was innate awkwardness or just the young stallion’s misplaced reverence, but either way, she was glad to be gone from his petrified mumbling.

She decided to enjoy the moon’s light and take a walk in peace through the streets of Ponyville. The shutters were closed on the houses around her and ponies were finishing their suppers. Luna blindfolds had been taken off from her eyes, and she could look freely around her without being interrupted by the “oohs” and “ahs” of other ponies.

Luna passed by the Sugar Cube Corner again. By the looks of it, the bakery had been closed for quite a while. There was no chance Mrs Cake would be free to chat again. And, in any case, Luna didn’t want to impose. She took a turn and headed for the town hall.

Despite the castle’s presence, it had maintained its place as the centre of daily activities throughout Ponyville. Twilight may have stocked her tree up with books, but the town hall was filled with records, all the way back to the founding of the town. Plus, it was still central to all the shop and local businesses. Luna noticed ads for furniture sales and pet walking services.

She smiled as she also passed a listing by the CMC. The fillies were continuing to offer their services by counselling their peers. Luna could still remember all their dreams and fears about their cutie marks. The uncertainty over their future and destiny must’ve terrified them. And in that regard, Luna could sympathise.

After circling around nearly half of the town hall, Luna was brought out of her deep focus by a scuffle and shuffle of papers. She continued to round the corner to find the most unusual sight so far: the EEA Chancellor, Neighsay, putting up flyers on the forum board of the town hall.

“What is it that you’re doing?” Luna asked, approaching the board.

“Huagh!” The Chancellor gasped. “In Celestia’s name, do not scare me like- oh, Luna. Sorry, I, um… wasn’t aware you were in the area.”

In my sister’s name, is that right? Luna leaned toward the board to read the pages Neighsay had just posted up. “EEA Music Festival,” she read, “all ticket sales go toward funding band and choir programs for the NPSF.”

Luna turned to the Chancellor. “NPSF? Is that new?”

“Yes, quite very,” Neighsay answered. “Princess Twilight recently proposed a bill which the EEA board has passed by a two-thirds majority. That is, to provide funds for the Non-Pony Scholarship Fund.”

“Looks like the royal treasury is running dry,” Luna commented, examining the paper closer.

“Quite the opposite,” Neighsay said. “Peace has brought a steady increase to average income. After reviewing the EEA budget I can assure you, the coffers are sturdy. It’s simply that international investing and construction projects to accommodate any and all foreign creatures are too ambitious, even for the current growth.”

“I see,” Luna nodded. “Is that why you’re putting these flyers up by yourself? No pony to run your errands?”

“Oh, haha,” Neighsay laughed dryly. “No, it’s simply a matter of efficiency. I’ve actually come to approve the School of Friendship as an EEA certified school. This was just on the way.”

“Certification? I thought Twilight voided the need for that.”

“By royal decree, yes,” Neighsay nodded, “but as you would know, such decrees are very conditional. Twilight is no longer Headmare there, and thus the school needs to be accredited. But I have seen the school once before, it needs only a basic inspection.”

“Chancellor, I have known you by reputation ever since my return from the moon,” Luna said with a bit of disbelief in her voice. “No inspection by you has ever been basic. I’ve seen the worst of it. Celestia used to have nightmares that her school wouldn’t pass your critical eye.”

“Well, thank you,” he accepted the remark graciously. “But I have no intention of failing Headmare Starlight. The inspection is more of a courtesy than anything else. I’ve seen the school under Twilight’s directorship and I’m certain Starlight Glimmer would be keeping the school up to the health and safety codes. If anything, I’ll only have an eye out of the fire safety protocols. Dealing with dragon students is still uncharted territory for the EEA. Better safe than sorry.”

Luna nodded with understanding, though she was surprised. She wondered if Twilight had anything to do with the board’s change in standards. Not even Celestia’s school seemed exempt from a full inspection, if the nightmares were anything to go by.

“But, I’m curious, why are you here, Luna?” Chancellor Neighsay asked as he levitated the rest of the flyers and stuck them along the walls of the town hall.

Luna lifted up her paper bag full of costume supplies. “I was just shopping for some cosmetic items for my band. I thought I’d take a walk, maybe get some ideas for where we could perform.”

“Colour me surprised. If I remember my history right, you and your sister had to learn to sing and play music to impress the old courts of the three pony kingdoms. But, I never would have thought that you’d have such a love for the art.”

“Seems many ponies don’t know what I enjoy,” Luna away to the moon.

“Well, no need to be shy. The School of Magic’s choir will be performing at the fundraiser, but you’d certainly bring in more sales. What kind of music do you plan on performing?”

“Heavy metal,” Luna admitted bluntly. “Specifically power metal.”

“Ah, I see,” Neighsay barely reacted. “Well, it’s a good thing the roster for the festival is so eclectic. Aside from the choir, many local rock and pop bands have signed up. I’d like to think they’re dedicated to helping our illustrious education system, but they’re probably more interested in Rara and Sapphire Shores being the guest judges with Princess Twilight.”

“There are judges?” Luna tilted her head.

“Well of course. Ponies these days are obsessed with talent competitions. The day we announced the format of the event, ticket sales tripled. Just imagine how many bits your presence could help raise.”

“Y-yes, of course,” Luna muttered, looking down at her hooves, “but would it be possible to remain anonymous? My band and my music are how I want to show Equestria who I am, behind the throne and crown. I just don’t want ponies to focus on me being a former princess.”

Chancellor Neighsay opened his mouth, about to say something, but held his thoughts for a moment. Luna noticed his face. He didn’t seem inconvenienced by her request, his look was equal parts concern and intrigue.

“I don’t understand, Luna,” he replied, “if separating yourself from your title is so important, then using it to draw a crowd is exactly what you want, isn’t it?”

She furrowed her brow. “How can it be? Ponies would no doubt flock just to the sound of my name. Though all they’d hear is ‘princess.’ I don’t want to build my fame on that alone.”

“Exactly,” he said. “Ponies can’t help but see you for what you’ve done, for better or worse. But gathering them in one place creates the perfect venue to prove yourself. If your audience shows up just because you were a princess, then, aren’t those ponies exactly the minds you want to change?”

He was right, or at the very least, he made sense. Once again, Luna came to realize she was still living in a shadow. She was letting her old title as princess control her present, just as she had let Nightmare Moon’s legacy weigh on her for so many years. Ponies would always see her as Princess Luna, just as they’d always know she was Nightmare Moon. If she wanted to be free of all her labels, she needed to accept what other ponies thought.

She took a look at the bottom of the flyer where the date was posted. One month from now. That was more than enough time to perfect their first performance.

“Could I have a few of those flyers?” she asked Nieghsay. “I have a feeling my bandmates will want to have a look at this.”

PreviousChapters Next