• Published 13th May 2020
  • 2,971 Views, 100 Comments

Second Chances - Mediocre Morsov



A story in which the un-redeemed villains of Season 9 were spared and reintegrated into Equestria. Set 13 years after the point of divergence.

  • ...
5
 100
 2,971

Chapter 4

Flurry Heart sighed as she came home from another day at school. Teleportation had always been one of her greatest strengths in magic, being one of the things she learned in infancy. Now, teleporting across Equestria to her mother's castle in the Crystal Empire seemed like child's play. She'd considered just teleporting straight to her room, but for some habitual reason she always teleported in front of her parents' homes and came in through the front door.

Maybe on some level I actually like being greeted by them... she thought to herself.

Sure, her relationship with Chrysalis had improved astronomically, and while it felt a little premature, Flurry Heart considered her stepmother her closest friend (not that that was hard considering she didn't have any friends), but she had yet to build any kind of rapport with her stepfather. Taking a deep breath and reminding herself of her friendship lessons, Flurry entered the castle.

"Mom! Sombra!" she made sure to call out her stepfather's name too, though it still felt weird, "I'm home!"

Then he appeared.

Dark gray fur, a mane as black as coal, and jaundiced eyes with irises of red flame. Even out of his ceremonial attire, even after his reformation, he still stood regally and had a dark aura around him. Flurry Heart had learned a good deal about umbrals from her mother and knew that the shadow ponies were just like that by nature, that she shouldn't hold it against them, but... well, when your great-aunt was the Princess of the Sun and had been held up as the pinnacle of virtue for so long, a repulsion towards beings of darkness was sort of ingrained in your psyche.

"How was school, little one?" Sombra asked in his husky voice. Unlike Chrysalis, the King's kindness wasn't sickly-sweet, just obviously forced. It was clear he still wasn't used to modern pony customs, or even speech in general. His lips twisted in an effort at a smile, revealing his pointy teeth. "Did you make any new friends?"

"New friends?" Flurry smirked as she teleported her saddlebags to her room, "I don't even have one friend!"

"What about the mare who's helping you study for those exams?" Sombra asked as he moved aside to let the filly pass.

"Cozy Glow?" Flurry asked, failing to notice her stepfather tense behind her, "She's, like... in her twenties. I mean, she's cool, but can you be friends with someone almost ten years older than you?" Flurry tapped her chin, "Or maybe she's only about six years?"

"Your friend is Cozy Glow?" the umbral chuckled, drawing his stepdaughter's attention.

"Yeah? Why's that funny?" Flurry shot a look back Sombra.

"I just think it's amusing," the King confessed, "After all, Cozy is a former villain - one of the greatest in Equestria's history, like yours truly - but acts like a sweet and innocent filly. Meanwhile, you're an alicorn princess, the daughter of the lovely Princess Cadance and the stoic Shining Armor, niece to the ruler of all of Equestria, and yet you act and dress like a villain."

"It's called punk, Sombra," Flurry rolled her eyes.

"I don't think your mother would appreciate me calling you a punk," the umbral smirked, "Villain seemed more appropriate because of the dark aesthetic. The fixation on fire and spikes helps, too."

"You would be the expert on that, wouldn't you?" the alicorn sighed as her stepfather laughed. Unlike with Chrysalis, her biting comments only seemed to amuse Sombra. Though, truthfully, her words no longer held any venom since she found herself hating her step parents less and less. "Didn't you work with Cozy Glow?"

"Yes," Sombra hissed out - a holdover from his phantasmal days, "Out of all of us, I think she was perhaps the most wicked. Chrysalis and Tirek are parasites by nature, so it is no surprise that they should have been villains. I am a creature of shadow and darkness, and my quest for power - as well as my heritage - drove me insane. All three of us struggle with the burdens of our blood, struggle to hold back our lusts and natures lest they see us destroy everything."

For the first time Flurry Heart thought she could see the remorse in Sombra's features. When it came to being apologetic, he was right up there with Tirek in not seeming to care. Now, in a rare moment, Flurry could see that he did understand his actions were wrong and regretted them. The filly also realized that Sombra, Chrysalis, and Tirek were likely next to helpless to stop themselves. After all, Chrysalis and Tirek gained strength from sapping others' energy; it only made sense to them that such a place was their role in nature, and that the only limit to their growth was by how much they could take. They probably hadn't known another way until Celestia and her followers arrived, and of course they'd resist such a challenge to their beliefs.

"But Cozy Glow," Sombra continued, returning the princess to the moment, "she was just a filly. An orphan, I think, but still a filly. There didn't seem to be any trauma in her background, no negative influences, no dark heritage, no hidden nature driving her appetites... Just a desire to be all-powerful and a total disregard for others. Even when our entourage bonded as villains, she would still have stabbed any of us in the back."

"She doesn't seem that way now," Flurry felt oddly offended by Sombra's comments and defended the mare. Sombra eyed her in surprise, then gave an almost fatherly smile.

"No, of course not," the King stated, "I'm actually quite proud of her. Out of all of us, she is the most thoroughly-reformed. Even I have relapses from time to time, and your mother - bless her - helps me through them," Sombra frowned, "I think she's terrified, though. I've only seen her at our annual get-togethers, but there's always an edge of terror to her."

"Yeah, she seems to think that if she so much as looks at a picture of Celestia the wrong way, they'll turn her to stone or something," Flurry rolled her eyes, "I think it's ridiculous."

"Yes, well," Sombra cleared his throat, returning to his usual demeanor, "you've been more amicable lately. Are things going well with Chrysalis?"

"We've started talking, yes," Flurry sniffed, acting dismissive.

"And playing Hyperspace Hyperwars, apparently," the King smirked, "Auroral Specters? I'm flattered."

"Oh, hush," Flurry rolled her eyes, "I didn't pick that army because of you. I picked them because they were dark and edgy."

"Dark an edgy," Sombra gave a wry chuckle, "From you that's almost a compliment."

"Anyway, where's mom?" Flurry decided to change the topic, "Fixing one of your mistakes?"

"I fail to see how increasing the Royal Guard was a mistake," Sombra wasn't amused.

"You tried to build a standing army," the alicorn deadpanned, "and you press-ganged half the population into service!"

"It should be considered an honor to serve..." Sombra muttered, "No, your mother isn't... balancing my eccentricities. Cadance is helping counsel a family right now."

"Ah, I see," Flurry nodded.

Cadance had taken some convincing by Starlight and Sunburst to support the reformation of villains. Sombra and Chrysalis had been two of her oldest enemies, and the most dangerous. Both were the things of nightmares, and both had left mental scars on the mare. Yet, she had been swayed by the redeemed villainess to give them a chance. Truth be told, it had also been recommended by Twilight as a pet project, something to keep her mind off of the divorce with Shining Armor. While helping reform the villains, Cadance had taken an interest in Sombra in particular, obviously. Even years after his successful reformation, Cadance found herself interested in helping others with therapy, counseling, and all manner of soul-searching works. She frequently helped families with misunderstood young, or unstable mental disorders, and Sombra often helped too.

"She is a goddess," Sombra mused aloud, startling his stepdaughter, "I've never met anyone so compassionate, so... so forgiving. After everything I'd done to her, to her kingdom, to her family, she was always willing to give me another chance. In my rages, she calmed me. In my despair, she guided me. Your mother's love and guidance is a thing of beauty, a thing that makes her physical beauty a paltry thing by comparison," the umbral gave a wicked grin, "not to say that she isn't also quite alluring."

"Gross," Flurry gagged, "Why'd you have to go and ruin such a touching speech with that? I get it, you guys are married; I don't need the details!"

"Sorry," the King's chuckle said he was anything but, "Cadance will join us for dinner."

"I don't suppose you play Hyperspace Hyperwars?" Flurry asked, clearing her throat.

"I read the literature when I'm bored, and I appreciate the dramatic, over-the-top background, but no, I do not play the game," Sombra grunted, "It's fun to watch, but the rules aren't to my liking. I see the value in using dice to symbolize the fickle fortunes of war, but I prefer games of pure strategy, like chess."

"You're so old," Flurry laughed.

"Yes, well..." Sombra cleared his throat, "Everypony still plays chess the same way as back in my day, but how many editions has your silly game gone through in the last ten years alone?"

"Ooo, touche," the alicorn smirked. It fell after a moment as her thoughts returned to school. "Did you know I'm the only student at the School of Friendship who's allowed to come home every night?"

"As is your right as royalty," Sombra grunted, "I don't understand why most of the pony students live on campus, anyway. Half the students there live in Ponyville; why stay in dorms?"

"Cozy Glow suggested it'd be a good way to make friends if I lived in a dorm."

"Did she now?" the umbral mused, "Ironic how you seem to keep asking the worst creatures about how to make friends. You know, outside of your mother and the other redeemed villains, my only friend is Spike?"

"Wait, you're friends with Uncle Spike?" Flurry did a double-take.

"I'm as surprised as you, but he was pretty persistent," Sombra shrugged, "Nice guy. He lets me borrow his comics."

Flurry stifled a laugh. Ever since calming down and adjusting to the age of modern ponies, Sombra had taken an uncharacteristic liking to comic books and other media most ponies considered childish or over-the-top. He likened them to ancient sagas, with tales of heroes battling difficult foes. Which, really, most of them were inspired by such things. As much as Flurry hated to admit it, Sombra had influenced a lot of her aesthetic choices in life. Even at the height of her fear and repulsion towards the stallion, he'd still managed to entertain her with his war and horror stories. Cadance had initially been opposed to such an influence, but seeing as how it was literally the only thing Sombra could bond with his stepdaughter over (and the fact it also improved her relationship with Shining Armor, a warrior), the Princess of Love had let it slide.

"I don't have many friends," Flurry admitted, "I just... don't fit in with most ponies. I guess that's why I turn to you guys for advice - because you're the only ones who have been there."

Sombra's expression softened considerably. He looked more like a normal stallion in that moment than he'd ever had before, the usual edge of restrained madness completely absent.

"I don't understand how you could possibly have trouble making friends," the King confessed, "I see so much of your parents in you."

Flurry blushed. Despite her resentment towards her parents for their divorce, she still loved both of them and held them up on a pedestal for their virtues. To be likened to them made her feel oddly validated.

"I'm nothing like them," she murmured.

"Do not be foolish, girl," Sombra growled lightly, "I do not lie to make others feel better. You have your father's courage and your mother's compassion. You're as open-minded and intelligent as either of them. Self-pity doesn't become you."

"Self-pity?" Flurry scowled, "Hey, listen gramps, you might be sharing my mom's bed, but that doesn't give you the right to lecture me!"

"There it is," Sombra smirked, a glimmer of pride in his eye.

"There what is?" the alicorn narrowed her eyes.

"Your spirit. Your fire!" Sombra cackled, "Out of all your qualities, that is what I see in you that is exactly like your parents."

Flurry muttered a string of curses under her breath, face flushed even harder at the compliments. The King only chuckled as he decided to leave the filly to her own devices until dinner. Flurry went to her room, still muttering mild obscenities at her stepfather's expense. After a few minutes to cool down, she pursed her lips and opened the drawer of her dresser, levitating a framed photo she usually kept hidden. It was the last photo she had taken with both of her parents as a family. She felt a smile tug her lips and an old pain in her heart, a feeling of loss for what had been.

But, she reminded herself, if they hadn't divorced, Chrysalis and Sombra would have probably turned out very different.

Did she care if they were different? Thinking back to her newfound friendship with Chrysalis, with Sombra's oddly encouraging words, and the fact she sometimes found it easier to fit in with the outcast former villains, Flurry realized that she did care if they changed. She liked the way they were.

Ugh, what's happening to me? Flurry pushed the thoughts away.

She passed the hours until dinner studying, but her mind kept wandering back to school and other creatures her age. Luster Dawn, naturally, as she was one of the most famous ponies at the school and the protege of Twilight Sparkle. Others, like the Cake Twins, several dragons and griffins, and - while not her age - Cozy Glow. It still surprised her that Cozy was Luster's older sister, but then again, Luster never discussed her personal life with anyone; she barely talked to anyone at all. Students often forgot she was the daughter of the headmare.

By the time dinner rolled around, the alicorn was lost in thought, poking at her food while Cadance made small talk with her husband. Eventually, however, the mother noticed her daughter's funk and looked to Sombra with a raised eyebrow. He shot her a smirk that told her he wasn't responsible this time. That was a surprise; usually Flurry Heart only brooded when Sombra bothered her with some existential dilemma.

"How was school, sweetie?" Cadance asked, not expecting a real answer.

"It was okay," her daughter shrugged, surprising her, "I... actually, something about school has been bugging me."

"Really?" Cadance's eyes widened and she felt her pulse quicken. Was her daughter actually going to talk to her about something? She'd heard from Shining Armor that she had finally opened up to Chrysalis, and the fact made Cadance burn with envy. "What's bugging you, sweetie?"

"Why don't I stay in the dorms like the other students?" she asked.

"Because most students can't teleport home, sweetie," Cadance giggled.

"Yeah, but... a lot of ponies live within walking distance of their homes," the youngest alicorn sucked air in through her teeth, "and some live within flying distance. Most students only get to visit home on holidays, but I get to teleport home every night... It doesn't seem fair."

Cadance shot another look at her husband, but Sombra only shrugged. Clearly this wasn't his doing, though he seemed pleased with Flurry's behavior.

"I want to live in a dorm," Flurry stated, looking her mom in the eye sternly. The two stared at each other for awhile, the mother's mouth hanging open. "I think it'll help me with the finals."

"Finals?" Cadance came out of her stupor, "The friendship exams?"

"Yes," the filly groaned, "Cozy Glow suggested I move into-"

"Cozy Glow?!" her mother gasped, sitting up straighter, "When did you talk to Cozy Glow?"

"Earlier this week," Flurry waved a dismissive hoof, "Anyway, she said-"

"Where did you even meet her?" Cadance grimaced, "Last I heard she was training to become a Wonderbolt."

"I met her at school; she's a new teacher."

"They let her teach?"

"Well, assist in teaching and substitute," Flurry clarified, "What gives, mom? Usually you're telling me not to judge others for their past actions."

"Yes, of course," her mother cleared her throat, embarrassed, "It's just... Cozy Glow is very different from creatures like Discord, or Chrysalis, or Sombra. She doesn't really have a reason to behave the way she does; no dark or chaotic nature, no-"

"Yeah, Sombra gave me this speech already," Flurry rolled her eyes, "I think she has a perfectly good reason."

"What? What reason would explain why she nearly destroyed the world just for power?" Cadance furrowed her brow, "She wasn't under any supernatural influences, or anything."

"How about the fact she's an orphan and never grew up without someone to guide her?" Flurry crossed her forelegs and raised an eyebrow in challenge.

Cadance cast a sidelong glance at Sombra, wondering if he had somehow been responsible for imparting such information to the filly. She inhaled sharply as she thought of how to frame her thoughts to her rebellious daughter.

"How much do you know about her crimes?"

"She told me that she nearly destroyed the world and was locked in Tartarus at the age of eight," Flurry explained, looking unamused, "which is sort of interesting that Headmare Starlight almost destroyed the world and was given a chance at redemption."

"Cozy was given the same offer," Cadance began.

"Back in my day, if a foal misbehaved so, we'd take such a choice from them," Sombra ground out, "Making an offer like that to a clearly disturbed filly... what did your sister-in-law think was going to happen? That she'd suddenly be right in the head and see the error of her ways?"

"We... didn't think about illnesses of the mind back then," Cadance bit her lip, feeling a flush of shame. Celestia hadn't exactly set the precedent for permanently banishing creatures Equestria didn't know how to deal with, but she had certainly made the practice a state institution. Tartarus existed for just such a reason, and who could ever forget about Nightmare Moon's or Discord's punishments? "We've learned since then."

"And now Cozy Glow is cool," Flurry said, hurriedly, "I mean, I think she was cool back then, too; how many other ponies can say they've nearly conquered Equestria?"

Sombra smirked as he made to raise his hoof, but Cadance shot him a severely-disapproving look. Instinctively, he lowered his foreleg.

"But, she's cool now," Flurry continued, "like, she doesn't want to conquer the world, or any of that. She just... wants to be a Wonderbolt."

"A Wonderbolt?" Sombra's eyebrows shot up, "One of those flashy, regimented, athletes? Cozy Glow was never one for physicality or obeying orders."

"Why does she want to be a Wonderbolt?" Cadance asked, likewise confused.

"To make friends, I guess," Flurry shrugged, suddenly feeling like maybe she shouldn't be flaunting the information, "She's filled with a lot of remorse - like... a scary amount. Seems to think at any moment, Aunt Twily will change her mind and turn her to stone if she makes a mistake."

"That's ridiculous," the Princess of Love giggled, "She has nothing to fear from Twilight, right honey?"

Sombra stared at his food, thoughtful. For the first time in a long time, Cadance wondered if her husband's rehabilitation was absolute. There was no chance of him returning to villainy, of course; she trusted him a great deal not to. What bothered her was the possibility he still feared retribution, that he still felt his crimes were too severe to forgive and the alicorns might turn on him.

"I think so, too," Flurry scoffed, "I mean, it's obvious she's changed - just as much as Chrysalis or Sombra. You'd have to be nuts not to see it, not to see how hard they try to live a normal life after nearly ruling the world."

The filly blushed and covered her mouth, embarrassed that what she said was dangerously close to praise for her step-parents. Sombra gave a soft smile, very different from his usual smirks and grins. Her mother was now the one who looked deep in contemplation, weighing Flurry Heart with a neutral expression.

"I'm very proud of you, sweetie," Cadance said at last, her tones filled with a genuine pride that made the filly go rigid in surprise, "Here I am, married to a reformed villain, always lecturing you about second chances, and I dismissively judged your new friend, whom I haven't seen in at least half a decade. I'm so proud that you stand up for your friends."

Flurry's blush deepend as she murmured an approximation of thanks and returned to her meal in relative silence. Friends? Was Cozy Glow her friend? The idea was dizzying as she considered it. For years the youngest alicorn had contemplated what friendship even was, an outcast by her status, her personality, her appearance, and her very nature. She'd never felt the sensation of friendship and struggled to understand it, something that infuriated her as the Princess of Friendship was her aunt and her closest mentor after Sunburst. The idea that she might finally have a friend caused a heady mix of emotions...

...including no small part of happiness.