• Published 13th May 2020
  • 2,971 Views, 100 Comments

Second Chances - Mediocre Morsov



A story in which the un-redeemed villains of Season 9 were spared and reintegrated into Equestria. Set 13 years after the point of divergence.

  • ...
5
 100
 2,971

Chapter 12

Cozy Glow felt anxiety course through her veins as she stared at the tidy collection of booklets in her locker. They were well-organized, as immaculate as the uniform she wore. The pegasus took a deep, calming breath, trying to slow her rapidly-beating heart. Today should have been like any other - a routine training day on the downward slide of their training. They'd finished Tartarus Week, and while Rainbow Dash was just as relentless in her training of the recruits, the certainty of success for all of them increased each day.

However, on this day, Rainbow Dash had announced a surprise guest for their performance: The Princess of Friendship, Twilight Sparkle.

The architect of the diverse cooperative alliance that had brought the world closer, brought peace and prosperity to millions. Savior of Equestria and the world, ten times over. The most powerful magical being on the planet, and a scientific genius besides. She was, of course, also Cozy Glow's jailor. Like Rainbow Dash - and, Cozy suspected, the majority of the Elements of Harmony, and indeed Equestria - she had never fully trusted the pegasus' reformation. Her visits had become less frequent, but she still inquired after Cozy's mental health and any signs of regression. It had been over a year since Cozy had seen her in person, but she knew the princess kept a monthly dialogue with Starlight, and often asked about the former villainess.

Cozy let out a strained breath, struggling to keep her cool. She jumped at the sudden pressure on her shoulder and looked back. Gary the Griffin, one of her fellow recruits, shot her a comforting smile.

"Easy there, Glow," Gary said, moving his talons back as if she had burned him. He chuckled disarmingly. "What's got you so wound up?"

"The princess is watching our performance today," another pegasus recruit - Rumble - explained the obvious.

"Oh yeah," Gary clacked his beak in thought. "I forget that's kind of a big deal for ponies."

Rumble rolled his eyes, then spared a cautious look at his fellow pony.

"Though... you do seem pretty nervous," he noted. "Are you alright, Glow? You're usually solid."

"I'm fine," Cozy lied, wincing out how obvious the deception was.

"Wow," Rumble deadpanned. "Y'know, with the stories Sweetie Belle and the others told me about how you used to be, I got the impression you were... I don't know... good at lying."

"Is something bothering you?" Gary asked, showing more concern.

"I'm fine, guys," Cozy denied. She hesitated, some of her mother's friendship lessons trickling into her head. Eventually, her pride broke and she sighed. "Actually, I'm pretty worried about Princess Twilight's visit."

"Because you're a former criminal?" Gary guessed. Rumble shot him an expression of disbelief and the griffin blinked after a moment. "Oh! Did I say something wrong?"

"It's alright," Cozy chuckled despite herself, "I'm not so thin-skinned that being reminded of my past is going to break me. You're right, Gary. I'm worried because I used to be a criminal."

"Yeah, more than a decade ago," Rumble rolled his eyes. "Glow, I thought you moved past this, especially with Dash making you her apprentice and all."

"Firstly, there's no apprenticeships in the Wonderbolts," the mare corrected, "and secondly, I have moved past it. The problem is, I'm not sure Twilight has... She's constantly checked up on me, and even now she still asks about my mental health. Just last month, I saw the letter she wrote my mom. She doesn't trust me."

"Maybe," a new mare's voice cut in, making the recruits go ramrod straight by reflex. Rainbow Dash smirked at them, calming Cozy's anxiety some. "But Twilight isn't stupid. She just needs to see how far you've come in person, and see how genuine your mom's and my testimonies are."

"Captain Dash, I-" Cozy stopped herself. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough, recruit," the rainbow-maned pegasus snorted. "Trust me, I'm good friends with Twilight. She's just a little paranoid, is all. If you think she doesn't trust you, you should have seen her at Shining Armor's second wedding."

"I remember," Cozy Glow noted, face twisting at the memory of that thoroughly-awkward event. Thinking back to that time, Cozy realized Flurry Heart had been the flower filly, but in all the excitement and drama of the event, she had never noticed the young alicorn except in passing. More than likely, the younger Cozy Glow had probably assumed it to be a costume. It was funny how she had completely missed her close friend all those years ago.

"Then you'll remember how she tried to fight Chrysalis in front of everyone because old Queenie sneezed," Rainbow Dash giggled. "My point is, Twilight can be a little wound up, but once she sees how far you've progressed, she'll accept you as one of the fold, I guarantee it."

"Really?"

"Hey now, officers shouldn't doubt," Rainbow jokingly chided. She gave the younger pegasus a playful hoof-bump to her shoulder. "Have some confidence, Glow. Relax. This is a simple training exercise, like any other."

Cozy nodded, feeling a smile tug her lips. She felt calm begin to flood into her, and then the old confidence - the assuredness that she was on the right path. She finished her preparations after Rainbow left, overseeing the final preparations of her fellow recruits. She had been the de facto squadron leader even before Rainbow Dash had picked her out, her natural desire to lead and perfectionism providing a rock on which the nervous and unsteady recruits could lean on. Over time, she'd earned their trust and demonstrated natural talent as a leader, her old instincts as a conqueror balanced by the lessons she'd learned from her parents: compassion, sympathy, and understanding.

Cozy let out a calming breath as she led her fellow flyers onto the cloudy fields of the Wonderbolts training grounds. They were precise, orderly, and perfect. They looked every inch the Wonderbolts in their blue-and-gold uniforms. As one, they stopped and turned to face the stands. Rainbow Dash stood before them, a pleased grin on her face. Behind and above the captain sat the Princess of Friendship, watching them with a trained, neutral expression. It was oddly contradictory: imperious, clinical, and impassionate, yet benevolent, forgiving, and kind. Like a mother or a teacher. Cozy felt a rush of emotions when the alicorn's purple eyes fell on her, but Twilight's face betrayed nothing.

Then Twilight smiled.

"Alright, Rainbow Dash," the alicorn giggled, reminding Cozy Glow of the Headmare she had known over a decade ago, "show me what your recruits can do."

"You heard her!" the Wonderbolts captain snapped. "Squadron Leader! Take point!"

Cozy took her place, giving the order to affix goggles, an action every recruit performed in-sync. The pegasus took a final calming breath, collecting herself, before beginning the routine.

...

Rainbow Dash watched the entire performance, stony-faced. She had told Cozy Glow to maintain her confidence, that Twilight would be easily-won over. In truth, the veteran Wonderbolt wasn't entirely sure. She saw Twilight only once a moon for their usual hang-out, but even such frequent get-togethers weren't enough to help the Wonderbolt gauge Twilight's interpretation of Cozy Glow, especially since they'd never talked about her. The last meeting had only been days earlier, where Rainbow had gone on at length about Cozy's progress. Twilight's shock at Rainbow's apparent reversal of opinion was... troubling to the pegasus. The alicorn had seemed far more disbelieving of Cozy Glow's personal growth than Rainbow had expected.

So the pegasus watched her protégé’s performance with silent anxiety, urging her to succeed.

There was nothing to fear, of course. All the recruits were fantastic, and Cozy Glow was the cream of the crop. She had taken up the mantle of Recruit Squadron Leader as if she had been born for it, and had even taken to designing her own stunt routines as a side-hobby, asking Rainbow Dash for her opinions on them. There was always something Rainbow disagreed with - some dangerous maneuver that needed to be replaced, or the like, but by and large the veteran Wonderbolt was impressed with the thought and detail that went into Cozy's designs.

Rainbow tensed as the performance reached its climax, then visibly relaxed when the recruits pulled off the difficult series of twists and turns with expert precision. With the relief came pride; this might be her greatest class of recruits yet. They landed in formation, marched into position, and saluted their captain before bowing to the Princess of Friendship.

"At ease!" Rainbow ordered, grinning from ear to ear. She about-faced to look upon a smiling Twilight. "Did you enjoy the performance, Your Majesty?"

"I think this might be your best batch of recruits yet!" Twilight beamed, echoing Rainbow's earlier thoughts. She leaned in, conspiratorially. "But, uh, don't tell the other recruits I said that."

"My lips are sealed," Rainbow chuckled. She spared a glance at her recruits and winked at Cozy Glow. The younger pegasus stayed steely-faced, but that was to be expected with all the discipline she'd instilled in the trainees.

"Recruit Squadron Leader Cozy Glow," Twilight spoke with the rigid authority of a princess, "step forward."

Cozy was distantly aware that she had obeyed the command as surely and automatically as if it had come from a Wonderbolts officer; she had obeyed Twilight as a princess, respecting her rank and paying no mind to the fact this was Princess Twilight Sparkle, the author of her imprisonment as a filly. A twinge of buried resentment stirred at the distant memories. She heard a voice in her head, unintelligible. A brief hiss that dripped with malice and cruel satisfaction.

"No need to look so anxious," Twilight's air of command gave way to her more genuine kindness. Cozy realized she had tensed considerably, her features growing ashen. "I'm very proud of you, Cozy Glow."

Patronizing twit, a voice hissed in the back of Cozy's mind. The shock of Twilight's praise was enough to sober the pegasus from her resentment, however. Immediately, Cozy realized where the voice had originated from and chose to ignore it. She wasn't going to let a demon make a fool out of her.

"You are?" she asked, choosing to focus on what Twilight had said.

"Of course," the alicorn's smile was warm and friendly. It was marred by a moment's doubt and she looked to Rainbow Dash. "Would you mind if I took your Squadron Leader for a flight?"

"Who am I to deny the request of a princess?" Rainbow asked with a smirk, dismissing the other recruits and excusing herself, leaving Twilight and Cozy alone.

"Would you like to fly with me, Cozy?" Twilight invited. "I may not have been born with wings, but I've grown to love flying almost as much as Rainbow Dash."

"That's a lot," Cozy noted, laughing nervously at her own joke, then cringing. "Um. Sure."

The pair took flight from the Wonderbolts training grounds, skimming between clouds for a bit. It was silent, but for the voice whispering poison inside Cozy Glow's head. She tuned it out as best she could, knowing it wasn't her own, but it murmured and hissed, just on the edge of hearing, daring her to listen to truths about herself she didn't want to revisit. Despite this, there was no tension during the flight; Cozy felt little anxiety being around Twilight, the princess' radiating an aura of serenity.

"I must apologize, Cozy Glow," Twilight spoke at last.

"What?" the pegasus tripped up and caught herself. "Why? For what?"

"Starlight has frequently advocated on your behalf, telling me how far you've come in your reformation, telling me that I shouldn't be lurking over your shoulder all the time," the alicorn explained with a guilty tone in her voice, "but I was always afraid you'd relapse. Of all the former villains, you haven't yet. Sombra has a manic spat every so often, but less frequently of late; Chrysalis had an episode shortly before marrying my brother; and Tirek? He... requires advanced supervision."

Cozy raised an eyebrow at that but didn't pry. Of all the reformed villains, Tirek was perhaps the most dangerous and the most prone to relapsing. After all, he grew stronger by feeding on others' magic. Through friendship, he had reached a happy medium, no longer magic-starved but without resorting to gorging himself in a parasitic fashion - not unlike the changelings - but the impulse was still there. The willpower required for him to avoid feasting on every ounce of magic he could reach was immense, and Twilight personally oversaw the centaur's guidance, offering sage counsel and a patient ear. Of course, Cozy didn't know that; very few outside of the princesses knew.

"I realize now that my concerns for you were unfounded, and that my attempts at keeping track of your progress have come off as a sign of mistrust," Twilight sighed. "That wasn't my intention, but if I'm honest, I guess I didn't trust you. Seeing how much effort you put into the Wonderbolts, I can see I was wrong to doubt you. I also see that my paranoia was somewhat infectious."

"How do you mean?" Cozy asked, keeping her voice neutral despite the buzzing emotions racing through her and the sinister voice trying to corrupt her.

"Your mom confided in me that you have... nightmares."

Cozy blanched. Did her mom know about the demon? Did she tell Twilight? Or did Luna tell the princess? It was a gut-chilling thing to contemplate.

"I never meant to make you so anxious," Twilight continued, "and I never, ever intended to keep you in line with the threat of being permanently frozen in stone. Just the idea of it, now... it's cruel. I can't believe Discord could have recommended it, especially after facing it himself."

"Discord is an odd one..." Cozy confessed. The holdout villains had taken several years to warm up to Discord, resenting him for multiple reasons, not least of which was his suggestion to freeze them in stone. The fact he got away with his relapses so frequently while Cozy lived in terror was also a point of contention between them.

"He is, but he's also oddly insightful," Twilight smiled at memories, then frowned. "Usually in a cryptic, panic-inducing way..." The smile returned quickly. "I believe his intent was that, since being frozen for so long had helped him, it might also help you."

Cozy stayed silent, not sure what to say. Had that really been Discord's intent? That the petrification would only have ever been temporary, until such a time someone more relatable or capable would have been able to reform them? It sounded absurd, and yet... Discord was nothing if not the living manifestation of making the absurd reality. Really, it was probable that, eventually, someone would have come along who was capable of making the villains see the light. The voice that had tried to ensnare her had fled, realizing it had failed once again. A small sense of victory filled the pegasus.

"I should have trusted you more," Twilight confessed as she continued, drawing Cozy's attention back. "I just... I found it difficult to believe that a normal filly would be so thoroughly evil at such a young age. I'd never heard of it, never seen it. And then, to see the same filly reform so thoroughly... it was difficult to believe. You demonstrated incredible ability at deceit and manipulation, at waiting and planning, when you were younger. I suppose a part of me just thought it was more likely you were lying, holding out and playing a long game, waiting for the moment to strike."

A moment of regretful silence lingered before she continued, tears in her eyes.

"I thought the same thing about Chrysalis, too. And Sombra. And Tirek," she confessed. "I'm not sure why, but even after I came to accept their reformations, after I spent time with them, I couldn't bring myself to fully believe in you or give you the same attention. I'm sorry for that, Cozy Glow."

Cozy had to stop flying, landing on a cloud to gather her thoughts. Twilight came around after realizing the pegasus had stopped, landing beside her. Cozy looked distant and felt lightheaded.

"I'm sorry, Princess," Cozy Glow apologized, holding herself steady, "I just... that was a lot to take in."

Twilight stayed quiet, letting the younger mare collect herself.

"I always got the impression you didn't trust me," Cozy explained. "I worried every waking moment, the older I got, that I would be frozen in stone at the slightest sign of relapse... I've been terrified..." She saw the pain on Twilight's face and forced a smile. "But that's in the past. I know you were just trying to protect those you care about, especially Flurry."

"Flurry?" the alicorn raised an eyebrow, confused. "What does my niece have to do with this?"

"Uh..." Cozy shifted, nervously, "she never mentioned me?"

Twilight shook her head.

"Golly, that's awkward..." Cozy inhaled sharply. "She's my... first friend."

"Really?" Twilight's eyebrows shot up. "I can't believe she didn't tell me! This is fantastic!"

"Wait, really?"

"Yes!" the alicorn's excitement was genuine. "Flurry has had trouble fitting in and making friends; it's so amazing you and her were each other's first friend!"

"She's also friends with my sister," Cozy smiled, "but you probably already knew that."

"She's friends with Luster, too?!" Twilight gasped, her image as a mature and sage princess shattered as she gushed about her pupil and niece. "This is amazing! I can't believe neither of them told me!"

"Really? I figured Luster would report to you or something."

"Luster Dawn is... selective with what she tells me," Twilight explained, a twinge of lament in her expression that Cozy didn't miss. "She is a brilliant filly, don't misunderstand - my best and brightest pupil. However, she has become increasingly resistant to my lessons on friendship. So much, in fact, that I practically had to force her to attend the School of Friendship. I think I pushed too hard and the only reason she agreed was to be out from under my supervision."

Cozy wanted to tell Twilight about the Nightmare entity, about how it made frequent references to Luster Dawn, and hinted at some kind of connection between the demon and filly. The fact the princess would press her for more information, that she might discover the demon was visiting Cozy herself, stopped the pegasus. It was under control, anyway, wasn't it? The entity harassed her in the daytime, when it perceived weakness, but at night it hadn't bothered her at all, fearing Luna's diligence.

"I didn't realize there was a rift between you two," Cozy frowned, then blanched. "I-I mean, I don't mean to assume that she and you - that is, I thought you two got on so well, and-"

"Relax, Cozy Glow," Twilight giggled, but her mirth was short-lived. "As your sister has gotten older, she has become more rebellious. It is only natural, especially for one so gifted. I was very much the same as her, when I was her age. I had hoped the School would change her interpretations on friendship, but it seems to have made her more... bitter."

Cozy covered up the grimace she felt at knowing the truth behind her sister's bitterness. The School of Friendship probably would have helped her develop more, but for the presence of the one pony Luster Dawn loathed: her sister, Cozy Glow.

The pegasus was under no delusions about why her younger sister resented being in Ponyville. Their parents ran the institution, and Cozy was a frequent visitor - and now part-time teaching assistant - at the school. Luster, who had been away for several years to study in Canterlot, had returned to Ponyville to find that - in her absence - the adopted Cozy Glow had further bonded with Starlight and Sunburst, while Luster Dawn's dismissive attitude and arrogance had made it difficult to reconnect with their parents at all, the relationship already strained by time and distance. Luster secluded herself at the school, throwing herself into her studies, resentful of the love their parents gave Cozy Glow.

Cozy knew that, despite the best efforts of their parents, Luster didn't see her as a sister. Indeed, the filly seemed to resent Cozy for getting 'special treatment' as a daughter of Starlight and Sunburst. She never said it directly, but she always had a way of subtly reminding Cozy that the pegasus was adopted, on top of overtly reminding everyone of her status as Twilight's pupil.

"I don't think lessons of friendship are entirely why she's bitter..." Cozy noted but didn't elaborate. Twilight didn't question it, displaying the sage grace of alicorn princesses.

"Have you considered talking to Starlight about your relationship with Luster?" Twilight asked. Cozy winced; of course the Princess of Friendship would have picked up on the resentment between her prized student and the former criminal. Luster had probably openly complained about Cozy to Twilight while studying under her.

"I don't want to bother mom about it," Cozy shifted uncomfortably, "and I don't think tattling will make Luster like me more."

"Perhaps you should talk with Luster directly?"

"That... might work, actually," Cozy felt her heart swell a little at the idea that this could work. "Golly, why didn't I think about just talking to her?"

"...Are... are you being sarcastic?" Twilight looked confused.

"Oh! No, I wasn't!" Cozy blushed. "I just talk like that sometimes."

A moment of silence passed before both mares burst into laughter. Twilight calmed herself a shared a smile with the younger pony.

"I have always dreamed of a moment like this," the alicorn confessed, "where you and I could talk like friends, with no tension. I'm sorry I didn't realize I was the reason we didn't have the chance."

"I can't really blame you," the pegasus snorted. "I am a former felon, after all."

"You're far more than that, Cozy Glow," Twilight's tone was serious, as if she were commanding the pegasus to acknowledge the fact, "I am only sorry I didn't see it sooner."

"You... honor me," Cozy said, honestly.

“I must return to my royal duties, but I will be sure to follow your progress closely,” Twilight spread her wings and gently took to the air. “Farewell, Cozy Glow. Tell your mom and Luster I said hello!”

Cozy shouted a farewell to the departing princess and stayed, watching the sun set, stunned at what had just transpired. She felt as if an immeasurable burden had been lifted from her shoulders. Eventually she returned to the barracks in a daze, barely noticing how late it was or that Rainbow Dash was the only one left.

“There you are!” the Wonderbolt Captain zoomed up towards her protégé. “Where have you been?”

“Sorry,” Cozy couldn’t quite wipe the smile from her face. “Twilight, uh, Princess Twilight and I got to talking and she… apologized to me. I feel so relieved.”

“Ah,” Rainbow relaxed and had a smile of her own. “See? What did I tell you? Nothing to worry about, kid!”

“Thank you, Captain Dash,” Cozy’s smile broadened.

The two moved into a quick, awkward embrace before parting and double-checking there were no witnesses. They shared a nervous laugh before saying their goodbyes. Cozy flew home, feeling lighter than she had in years, happily landing at her family’s home. A flash in one of the upstairs windows caught her eye, a flash of magic from Luster’s room.

“Huh,” the pegasus noted to herself as she entered the quiet house. Starlight and Sunburst had already turned in for the night, with Cozy having arrived later than usual. “I didn’t know Luster was visiting.”

The mare retired to her room, her high wearing off as she finally reached her bed. She could greet her sister in the morning; the nerd was probably staying up late working on some magic experiment anyway. The pegasus tucked herself in and let sleep take her.

Author's Note:

A/N: Sorry about the long wait. Been busy lately. Hopefully this chapter makes up for it.