• Published 8th Jan 2012
  • 4,702 Views, 153 Comments

The Lost Mercenary - A TES/FiM Story - DemonRykuKyuubi



Ra'zaan, a Khajiit mercenary working out of Cyrodill, goes on a trip he won't soon forget!

  • ...
10
 153
 4,702

Chapter 1 - Where am I?

Ra'zaan woke up with a pounding in his ears. He looked around and saw that he was in the center of where what looked like a large fire had engulfed the small area he'd woken up in. The place he'd been lying was a large circular scorch mark on the ground. He tried to think of where he was but the pounding in his head made that a lost cause for the time being. So, instead, the Khajiit glanced around the area a bit. Outside the burnt area, there were dark trees with vines all along the rim of the circle, and what looked to be a swamp farther back. As Ra'zaan stumbled to his feet, something caught his eye; there was something moving in the bushes. He drew his trusty katana he had received from the Blades after a mission he had accompanied them on.

"Who's there?" Ra'zaan shouted.
No answer...

"I'm armed, so don't get any funny ideas", He said, a bit louder than before.
Silence...

Still on guard, he looked down to make sure he still had everything he may need in case of a real fight. Ra'zaan was a Khajiit* of medium build, tiger striped fur, yellow eyes and an unreadable face. He had on his steel armor he'd purchased the previous year (minus the helmet, as he hated wearing anything that restricted his view), and the glass dagger he'd "found" in Cheydinhal's private armory. The Khajiit also had his black bow he'd taken off a bandit he'd killed near Leyawiin, and the steel arrows he used with it, of which he had around fifty in the quiver. Other than that, he had a few potions; lock-picks; some food he'd grabbed for the road and not eaten yet; one hundred Septims; and an old book he'd been carrying in his leather pack, but he had left almost everything else at home that day. Ra'zaan also had a fire spell he used from time to time, but he found that fire magic wasn't the best thing to use in the middle of a forest.

"Well, are you going to show yourself or not?" Ra'zaan said after finishing his checkup.

The bushes shook one more time and a rabbit hopped out from behind them. Ra'zaan laughed to himself and sheathed his weapon. He took another look around and decided to get to a vantage point to find out where he was. He could see a mountain peaking over the tree-tops, so he chose that as his first destination.
As he walked along through the dark, menacing trees, the pounding in his head subsided and his memory started coming back to him. He looked at his journal, which he had found laying not far from where he woke up, and read what he had done just before he blacked out. He read it to himself as he walked:

-I took a job from the Arch Mage up in the Mage's Guild. He asked me to go "persuade" a rogue mage in Anvil to tell me where he and his group are working.

-I found the rogue mage. He was more than willing to give me the location of his friends after I threw him around a bit. He mentioned a dark elf by the name of Golam Faram. I'd better report my findings to the Mage's Guild.

-The Arch Mage seemed to cringe at the name Golam Faram, and told me to go to the location the rogue had given me. He warned me that Faram was a very dangerous man. After I'm prepared, I'll head out there and check it out. The area's known for mage activity, so I'd better be ready for a fight!

-I've located my target. Now all I need to do is run in and either talk to the rest of the rogues to see if what they are doing is legal, or kill them all. I'd much rather they choose the latter of the two, it's always so much quicker!

This was the last entry in his journal. The mercenary thought and started to remember what happened right after writing that entry. He stopped his walk and leaned against a nearby tree as he thought to himself.

"Let’s see... I walked up to the door, and busted through using my sword..." He stopped, searching his mind for any clues as to what happened next.

"...The mages were performing some sort of weird ritual... A circle with a strange design was drawn on the floor. As the circle started to glow, they stood up and armed themselves with magic... I attacked..." Ra'zaan struggled to remember what occurred next.

"There were five of them in all...I think there were five at least...anyway, the first two went down with ease as I sliced threw them... Then the next two attacked from both my left and right, one with fire and one with ice. I ducked under the streams of magic and used my dagger to quickly take them down before they had time to pin me with the magic. One remained from what I could tell... Golam, it seemed. He stood in the center of the circle. I ran at him, ducking and dodging his lightning strikes. In one quick movement I pushed my sword and dagger deep into the center of his chest, my sword going all the way through to the other side... But Golam, with some quick thinking, finished the glowing circle beneath us with the blood that was pooling at his feet, and a huge blast of light and heat hit me, and then it all goes black..."

He finally realized then that the blast must have teleported him somewhere...but where? That was the question he kept repeating to himself. He looked at the sky and saw that the sun was near setting, meaning it must be around six in the afternoon.

"It looks like it's been about five hours since I got teleported here." He growled to himself, knowing now that he'd been out for at least four and a half of those five hours.

Ra'zaan continued his walk towards the mountain, which by now was in view about a quarter mile through the thinning trees. It took him about five or so minutes to reach the mountain because he was weighed down by his armor, but when he reached the edge, he looked up at a nearly ninety degree vertical wall that was the cliff face of the mountain. This was no problem for Ra'zaan as he removed his steel gauntlets to reveal his razor-sharp claws. He did the same with is grieves and placed both sets of equipment in his pack. He ascended up the cliff face with near ease, and looked out over the forest. His heart sank a little when he realized that he wasn't in Cyrodill anymore.

"By the Nine! Where in the world am I?”

After he'd regained his composure, he sighed.

"Quite the view", he said distractedly to himself. "Better head to that town over there tomorrow." He told himself as he saw the tops of some buildings of a colorful town down past the direction he had come.

The only answer to his comment was the echo from it that bounced down into the forest.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile in Ponyville:

Rainbow Dash had been testing out a few new tricks she'd obsessed over for the past week when she heard an explosion and saw smoke coming from deep within Everfree Forest. In the five hours that had passed since then, she'd been explaining to her friends what she'd seen and trying to convince them to go with her to check it out.

"Come on girls! Let's just go take a look and see what made that awesome explosion!" Rainbow begged.

Twilight Sparkle, who agreed with Rainbow, said "Yes, we still have some time before it gets too dark!"

Rarity, who was not at all excited about the idea of adventuring out into Everfree Forest, especially at night, cried, "What if it DOES get dark out while we're there? And what if the thing that caused the explosion isn't HAPPY to see us?"

Suddenly Pinkie Pie burst out with excitement and said, "We could have soooo much fun!!! Let's go exploring!!!"

They all felt a little bit of the tension decrease and had a bit of a laugh because of their bubbly friend's outburst.

As everypony settled down, Apple Jack, who had been sitting a little bit away to avoid being sucked into the argument along with Fluttershy, calmly said, "Why don't y'all calm down a bit now. How 'bout we have ourselves a vote instead of arguing about everythin'?"

They all quickly agreed, obviously tired of getting nowhere fast debating over it. They got together in a circle to get ready to vote. When they were all in the circle, Twilight began:

"All those for going out to look around say 'Aye'!"

Four voices, those of Pinkie, Rainbow, Apple Jack and Twilight, exclaimed all at once, "Aye!"

"All those against going out to have a look say 'Aye'!"

Now the opposite two voices, those of Fluttershy and Rarity, both said "Aye!"

After the vote, and with a big grin on her face, Rainbow Dash yelled, "Then that settles it! To Everfree Forest!"

The two that had down-voted looked at each other with uncertainty and reluctantly followed the rest of the group out towards the forest. As they neared the forest, Rainbow saw what looked like a small fire out on the cliff side.

"Look everypony! What do you think that fire up there is?"

With a destination now in front of them, the six friends raced off into the darkening forest. As they ran they all started trying to imagine what could have created the explosion. Was it some sort of monster? Maybe something or somepony tried a spell that misfired or failed? If it is some sort of creature, will it be friendly or…? They stopped abruptly and the group stood, looking at a small clearing. The only problem was that the clearing looked like it had formed because of some sort of fire! The ground was scorched and the only thing in the clearing was an interesting indent in the ground. It looked almost like a star, but the bottom two "arms" of the star were longer than the middle two, and the upper most was very short, kind of like somepony's head had laid there. It looked like something, or somepony, made a very hard crash landing on that spot. They looked at each other in disbelief as the story Rainbow had told them became real. They shook off the worry they had about the clearing fairly quickly, however, and continued towards the fire on the mountain.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back on the mountain:

Ra'zaan had set up a small camp on the cliff side and had even set himself a fire so he'd have light and warmth, and be comfortable enough to get sleep in the chilly night air. He did so because he knew he'd need rest for the next day's journey. The tired warrior unrolled his bed roll near the fire. Once the bed was made, he removed his armor, which showed that he had some basic cotton clothes on underneath, and laid down with the book that was in his pack. It was entitled "Ahzirr Traajijazeri" which roughly translates to "We justly take by force." It was a book written by another Khajiit explaining the reasons behind many Khajiiti attacks on the Cyrodillic province of Leyawiin.

Darkness had just fallen on the land. As Ra'zaan finished the third chapter of the book, he heard what he thought were horse hooves coming to a halt at the bottom of the cliff side. He grabbed his black bow and steel arrows and went to the cliff's edge.

"Hello? Don't make any sudden moves, I've got an arrow trained on the...purple......pony......in...front...Alright, what in Talos's name is going on now?!" He said, lowering his bow from his target.

The group of friends just stood there for a second in shock. They'd never seen anything like the creature that was up on the cliff side!

As they regained their focus, Twilight said in a rather nervous voice, "Wh-what are you, sir? Also, f-for that m-matter, what's a T-Talos?"

Ra'zaan just stood there, flabbergasted. Now he'd seen it all. He'd seen demons summoned by necromancers, whole bandit camps taken down by a single person (usually himself), and strange rituals preformed by mages. None of this had ever caught him off guard. Then, out of nowhere, a little purple pony talks, and it's like his mind just went blank.

"Great. You can talk too. That's...that's just great." He finally said as he sat down to try to comprehend what was going on. "What's next, you gonna fly around or start levitating with magic?"

Rainbow and Fluttershy flew up to him at this point, carrying Rarity and Twilight, who were both using their magic to float Apple Jack and and a very excited Pinkie Pie up. As Pinkie landed on the cliff's edge, she answered Ra'zaan's question:

"Actually BOTH!" exclaimed the pink pony.

With that, Ra'zaan had had enough. The great mercenary from Cyrodill, who had faced many a battle in his day, fainted right where he sat. The ponies gave each other a puzzled look, and Twilight floated Ra'zaan over to his bedroll. They were sure going to have to explain a lot to this creature, and they wanted to know about him as well. The true meeting of the two sides would have to wait until morning.

"We can't just LEAVE the poor fellow here, can we?" Rarity said in a surprisingly worried tone.

"No, we should get him out of the cold out here and take him back to Ponyville." Twilight said calmly.

Twilight then gently carried Ra'zaan and his bedroll down the less steep edge of the cliff side with her magic while everyone else carried the rest of his equipment.

"Tomorrow's going to be quite an interesting day, everypony!" Twilight laughed, along with the others as they carried their new curiosity back to Ponyville.

After the long trip back to Ponyville (By now it was nearing midnight),They all went to Twilight's library home and set Ra'zaan and his things down near one of the bookshelves. They all decided to stay at Twilight's that night, excited for what tomorrow morning would bring.

TO BE CONTINUED



(Khajiit* - Cat-like humanoid species found in the Elder Scrolls games.)