• Published 20th Apr 2020
  • 1,888 Views, 118 Comments

Disharmony: Gods Among Ponies - Mr-Astounding

  • ...
1
 118
 1,888

Prologue

A certain pony with an hourglass cutie mark once said, “Ponies assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.” In other words, while some things are destined to happen throughout time, some things could very well change if given a little...nudge. With that in mind, let’s take a look at how two versions of Equestria ended going to war with each other.

Our story begins with Prince Blueblood, using a scrying spell to view the Mane 6 - as some ponies referred to them - laughing and generally having a good time. Unfortunately, he himself didn’t share their glee. “Look at them,” he said with a shake of his head. “They don't even realize that the common pony views them as gods. If they wanted to, they could do a thousand times worse than some of the worst monsters Equestria has ever seen combined. Have they even considered the possibility of the day that Celestia might fall? Powerful they might be, but they are not the flawless deities so many would have us believe!! I wonder how they would react if I were to show them the destruction they would no doubt cause themselves should they put their minds to it…”

“Are you seriously telling me you'd be willing to sell your soul just to knock them down a few pegs?”

Blueblood just scoffed. “Of course not: I'd have to be crazy to even think...wait: who said that?”

“Over here.”

Blueblood found himself looking over to a spot in the room covered in shadow, and gasping in shock upon seeing who was there. “You…”

One King Sombra could only chuckle in response. “You're more educated than some of my former subjects: I'll give you that much.” He cleared his throat. “I know what you're thinking: ‘Aren't you supposed to be dead...or failing that, locked up in Tartarus?’ The answer for the later assumption is that no dark place will contain me. The former assumption: I assure you that the rumors of my demise were greatly exaggerated...but that's not why I'm here. You see, I've heard a few rumors that you have clearance to access a certain weapon I've had my eye on for some time…”

“Okay, I'm going to stop you right there,” the Prince interrupted. “First off, the Soul-Binder bomb is not just some ‘weapon’: it was an experimental device capable of instantly sending even Equestria's most powerful foes to Tartarus...that ended up doing far worse. In fact, it has since been filed under ‘as an absolute last resort’ since even before Nightmare Moon's banishment. Secondly, yes, my family has had access to the bomb for generations, but only because the key to the vault needed to be kept as far away from the actual vault as possible, and with a certain fiasco I found myself in during the Grand Galloping Gala, I wouldn't dare go near it without good cause lest I wish to tarnish my reputation even more...which brings me to my third point: I never take the key with me: it's in a secure location at all times...and even if I did have it on me right now, why in Equestria would I give it to you? I can just as easily see myself being a victim of whatever plan you have in mind…”

Sombra just nodded. “If it's reassurance you need, then know this: I've arranged for several of my associates, each with reason to seek revenge on the so-called Elements of Harmony and/or the Princesses, to draw Equestria's defenders elsewhere. All they're waiting for is the proper leader to guide the attack in my absence...a leader who would share a seat of power in the new kingdom that will arise soon afterwards.” He smiles as Blueblood contemplates the offer, before making a move to leave. “Of course if you’re not interested, I suppose I could shake down someone who might know where you left the key in question…”

Whether it was concern for the safety of his staff or realizing that he could rise above the station of Equestria’s so-called defenders, Blueblood found himself much more willing to participate. “WAIT!” Sombra just turned back, clearly suppressing a knowing smile, causing the young Prince to sigh, knowing that he had been played but not truly caring at the moment. “Something tells me I might end up regretting this later, but I'm in.”

As it turned out, in one facite in reality, a few months later, Blueblood would discover that he would indeed come to regret his actions. Case in point, several Royal guards could be found active within the Mayor Mare's office, carrying out various duties, a few pausing to look at the smoldering pile of ash that was once Canterlot in the distance, all while Sombra's laughter could be heard the whole time.

Needless to say, one Princess Twilight Sparkle didn’t share his humor, as evidenced by her slamming her hooves into the table. “The bomb: how'd you find out about it?”

Her prisoner, King Sombra, however, wasn’t intimidated. “What: you want one?” He scoffed. “You Princesses have no original ideas.”

Twilight grabbed him to try and force the information out of him...only to be blasted back by the wall being destroyed by her old instructor/senior Princess, Celestia herself...and she was not happy, judging by the way she snarled, “Get away from him!”

Twilight, trying to keep things under control, calmly gestures to the Umbra/pony hybrid. “I'm handling this right now…”

Celestia nodded in acknowledgement, but still approached Sombra...before angrily tossing the table aside and grabbing Sombra by the collar, slamming him into a wall as she did. “You tricked me! Made me…” She couldn’t help but look away in barely suppressed sorrow and shame. “Luna…”

Sombra chuckled. “First Nightmare Moon, then Sunset Shimmer...ponies you love tend to disappear, don't they?”

As Celestia reared a hoof back, Twilight quickly shouted, “Celestia, don’t!” before letting out a sigh of relief as her mentor purposely missed.

Sombra, however, directed a scoff towards the Princess of Friendship. “That's why I like you, Celestia: you're much easier to manipulate then…” He grunted as he was suddenly thrown against the opposite wall, wincing as he got back up again. “You think that you can have family like your subjects, that locking me away will reform me...and that any of the ponies will be safe in the long run.” He scoffed. “For someone so wise and powerful, you can be pretty stupid sometimes.” He let out a dark laugh. “Now why don't you run along? I've got some work to do if I want to top this…”

As Celestia grabbed Sombra again, Twilight tried one more time to calm her old mentor down. “That's enough…” Unfortunately, this time, she found herself being forced back.

Capitalizing on this, Sombra let out a chuckle. “I know it's soon, but...you think you'll ever extend your hoof in friendship again? Maybe you won’t kill the ones you love…”

Celestia, having heard just about enough from the Crystal Tyrant, lit her horn, pulling her fist back as she did.

The next thing that everypony outside the room heard was a sickening snap and Sombra letting off one last dark laugh.

To be Continued

Author's Note:

It's been a LONG time since I've done anything on this site, hasn't it? Don't worry: I fully intend to work on my other stories, but for now, I do hope you enjoy THIS one :)