• Published 15th Apr 2020
  • 1,429 Views, 59 Comments

A Time to Act - The Sonic Mage



Dangerous things can happen when you want something. Especially if it's revenge.

  • ...
0
 59
 1,429

Chapter 2: Damage Control

Author's Note:

So, quick note about chapter uploads. Due to the crammed and unstable state of my life at the moment, and the fact that I have been cut off from my primary writing space (AKA: the subway), chapters are going to be uploaded slower than usual, as I lack any meaningful amount of time to work on any of my stories. I hope that you will understand, and be patient (Something that you all have proven to be time and time again, so thank you for that! :twilightsmile:).

Anyway enough of my rambling, ON WITH THE SHOW!!

To say that the Changeling Hive, particularly one specific floor, was in a state of chaos, would be a slight understatement. Apart from the fact that an entire stretch of hallway was filled with craters, scorch marks, and partly blacked to a crisp, several ponies and Changelings lay exhausted or beaten.

The Royal Sisters and mane-6 slowly followed the path of destruction, coming across three worn-out Changeling soldiers with trails of smoke wafting off their armor. Following the trail even further they found Cadence, slowly limping down the hall towards a turn. She looked weary, streaked with sweat, her mane disheveled, coat burned, wings missing feathers.

“Cadence!” Twilight called out. Cadence did not respond nor slow her limp. It was like she didn’t hear her.

Twilight sprinted ahead to catch up with her former babysitter. “Cadence, wait!”

She put a hoof on Cadence’s shoulder. The alicorn of love whipped her head around to look behind her.

Twilight was unsettled by her gaze. Cadence’s eyes were not filled with the compassion and understanding that they usually possessed. All that was there was anger. Hatred. It felt…so unnatural.

“C-Cadence…”

Before Twilight could continue, Cadence turned away from her and resumed making her way towards…wherever it was she was trying to go.

“W-Wait!” Twilight continued to go after her. The other ponies rushed forward to see what was happening.

“Cadence,” Celestia said, “Can you hear me?”

Before anypony could get any further with each other, the sound of swords came from behind them.

All were scared to look, but they had to.


Thorax was not a very good fighter. He had picked up a thing or two from his brother Phynrax, but he could not hold his own for a long period of time. Under normal circumstances, Shining Armor would be mopping the floor with him, and Thorax would have lost a while ago

However, considering how wounded and exhausted he was, Shining Armor really couldn’t effectively put all that military training to work.

That didn’t mean he couldn’t throw a punch, it was just easier to survive. The two wrestled each other, trying to keep the other down. Their bodies were bruised and sore, adrenaline rushes wearing off.

Shining practically lunged at Thorax, who was able to slide out of the way before getting stomped on. With what strength he could summon, Thorax brought his two front hooves down on Shining’s back.

The impact made Shining wince and grit his teeth. There was a sore spot there that hadn’t healed completely yet. He still had enough to back-hoof Thorax’s face, making him fall to the ground.

Shining limped over to Thorax to give him another slug. But before he could do that an arrow flew right under his chin, into the wall next to him.

Shining looked to the door, and was greeted by the sight of a large number of Changeling troopers. The leader of the unit was supporting the beaten and battered Pharynx.

Pharynx has called for Kraft, one of his higher officers, and his unit to gather everyone and get the situation under control.

Shining simply stepped back from Thorax, who was helped to his hooves by two soldiers.

“Let me see!”

Twilight pushed her way through the crowd of soldiers. She had to see what had happened, what her brother had done.

Her eyes locked onto the Changeling King, and she froze.

He was bruised in several places. His left eye was blacked and looked a bit swollen. His wing covers were cracked and resting at his sides, leaving his bent, torn wings exposed. His chitin was scratched and a blue liquid (which turned out to be his blood) slowly dripped from the corner of his mouth.

Twilight slowly approached the battered king as the troopers got him balanced.

“...T-Thorax…” Twilight didn’t know what to say.

Celestia and Luna shared the same looks of absolute shock at the sight before them. Parts of them wanted to shout, berate the young Royal couple for what they had done, but they couldn’t. It was all too shocking.

“M-Maybe we should g-go?” Fluttershy said meekly.

Pharynx opened his mouth to speak, but Thorax beat him to it.

“NO!” The Changeling King said through labored breaths. His stern voice grabbed everyone’s attention.

“No,” he said again, “No one is going anywhere.”

The Changeling King looked to the unit commander. “Kraft, gather up the wounded, all the wounded, and have one of your soldiers run a message to Dr. Cloverfield and his staff. Tell him he’s got patients to tend to.”

There was a moment of hesitation, but Kraft nodded, directing one of his troopers to go and tell the doctor.

It was going to be another very. Long. Day.