• Published 29th Mar 2020
  • 264 Views, 3 Comments

The Alley Outside of 7/11: An Anthology - The Red Parade



A collection of speed writings, discarded and abandoned stories, and other odds and ends. Story details in long description.

  • ...
3
 3
 264

Four Score

“So how do you think we did?” Roseluck asked, swinging her legs over the side of the wagon.

Lily poked her head up over the side of the hole. “What do you mean?”

“You know. Out of all our jobs, how would you rate this one?”

“I dunno. Top three, maybe?” Lily said with a shrug. She seized the shovel and began digging again. “But this could be the fastest one we’ve done if you’d help me.”

“No way,” replied Daisy with a roll of her eyes. “I dug the last one.”

“So? Usually I’d have Rose helping, but she’s still… y’know,” Lily said, gesturing vaguely at the bandages around Roseluck’s chest.

Daisy slumped forwards with a sigh. “But my forelegggggs! They hurrrrrrt!”

“Shut up. Stop complaining,” Lily snapped. “You didn’t even do the hard part, you just sat there while Roseluck did all the work.”

“Fine,” said Daisy with a defeated sigh. “But you better cut me some slack for the next one.”

“You never answered my question,” Roseluck said.

Daisy tilted her head in confusion. “Huh? Oh, right. Uh…. I’d say probably fourth place.”

“Fourth?” questioned Lily.

“Yeah. I mean, it was a lot… messier than our other ones,” Daisy said. “And yeah, Roseluck got hurt, but I still think it went pretty well.”

“Pretty well?” echoed Lily. “We almost lost our contract!”

“But we had fun!” counted Daisy.

“Hi girls!” The flower ponies froze as a new voice called out to them. Twilight Sparkle trotted over with a friendly wave. “What are you up to?”

“Oh, hi Princess,” Lily said, climbing out of the hole. “We’re just digging a hole.”

“That’s a pretty deep one,” Twilight noted, peering over the side. “Are you planting something?”

“Yep!” Roseluck said with a smile. “Real big tree that’s coming in soon.”

“That sounds exciting,” Twilight said, clapping her hooves together. “I can’t wait to see it.”

“It might take awhile to grow,” Daisy replied, shifting her shovel in her hooves.

“Of course,” Twilight nodded. “The biggest plants always do.” A strange look crossed over her face. “But stil, it’s getting kind of late. You should probably head back soon…”

“Is, uh… is something the matter?” asked Roseluck nervously.

“No, no,” Twilight said. “Somepony was just reported missing in town, that’s all. I’m sure he’ll turn up eventually. It’s probably nothing to be concerned about.”

“Well, I assure you that we feel perfectly safe with you watching over us, Princess,” Lily said reassuringly.

Twilight smiled and laughed. “Thanks, girls. Well, I better get going then, I’m going to meet Fluttershy for some tea. See you later!”

The three waved as Twilight continued down the path into the Everfree forest. Once she faded from sight, they let out a collective sigh of relief.

“Some lookout you are,” Lily grunted as Roseluck.

“I never saw her!” insisted Roseluck. “Plus, we’re way out from the main path! How was I supposed to know she’d come this way?”

“Look,” Daisy said, holding up a weary hoof. “Let’s finish this up, before she comes back. I think the hole’s deep enough anyways.”

The three nodded, and Roseluck lifted the cover to their wagon. Daisy hopped on and helped her throw off the tarp covering a large, red-stained bag. The three worked quickly to pull the lumpy bag out from the back and toss it into the hole, where it landed with a thump.

“Fourth best my ass,” Lily grumbled, dusting herself off. “We could have done better.”

“Whatever,” said Daisy tiredly. “Let’s just fill the damn hole before Twilight comes back.”