• Published 11th Apr 2020
  • 1,956 Views, 972 Comments

Cure For a Toxin - RadBunny



Toxic Shield goes by more than one name in rumor circles, none flattering. Now yanked into a conflict that threatens the lives of both himself and his new friends, Toxic must confront a poison that even he may not be immune to. Or worse, that he is.

  • ...
7
 972
 1,956

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Forty Two: Waves

Gelliana couldn’t pinpoint any of her feelings; they were all too tumbled together. As her parents wrapped her up in a hug, the gryphoness knew she was crying, that much was certain. She was just so…

Relieved?
Anxious?
Scared?
All the above?

All she did know was that despite their faults, her parents made her feel safe. They had done a fantastic job of that with her as the gryphoness grew up. They just had trouble letting that go.

Marble finally wiped the tears from her eyes, Obsidian releasing them from the group hug as they looked her over.

“I e-expected an eyepatch,” Marble sniffed, “So silly and stupid, but you look ok. Are you ok? We had no idea what was going on!”

“Well, a partial idea,” Obsidian admitted as they sat down together, “Celestia kept us informed, as did the Shields. But we only knew you were captured. We saw the summary the Organization sent, but that’s about it.” The stallion’s ears flattened at that. “It sounds like you’ve been through the wringer, to say the least. I know you probably don’t want to go into that right now though. Maybe it’s best if we don’t know everything.”

Marble immediately teared up again as Gelliana nodded. The admittance from one of her parents at saying they didn’t need to know everything was a step indeed.

“You could s-say that,” she admitted, “but I had some help from someone I really want you to meet.” Gelliana’s ears drooped as she spoke, “I’m sorry for not-”

“Gelliana, do not apologize to us,” Marble butted in, her head shaking back and forth rapidly. “You’ve been keeping a healthy distance to help us learn how to…let go. It has taken us a long time to acknowledge that it’s a good thing. So, we get it. We’re just happy you’re home, safe and sound.”

“That said, we would like to meet this mystery stallion. Celestia seems to hold him in very high regard,” Obsidian muttered curiously, “we only know the basics about him.”

Her mother’s expression changed to that of amusement as Gelliana couldn’t keep a genuine smile off her face.

“Well, let’s go meet Toxic then.”


“You have been keeping quite a bit from us,” Spectrum grumbled to her son, the latter simply shrugging after separating from a tight hug.

“I had to. You know this,” he admitted. “I’m sorry for that, but it was necessary. The Organization, everything.”

“I’m not disputing that. I’m just saying I don’t like it. Goodness, Pick seems to have things well in hoof with a new body. Some things are best summarized to us it would seem.”

The amused but half-annoyed smile on his mother’s face was enough to let the stallion know all was well, his father sighing.

“Why do I get the feeling this was just another job?” he asked softly.

“Because it was, in a way,” Toxic said, “but it was also very different. Case in point, I’d like you to meet my special somegriff. First, I need to meet her parents,” the stallion smiled a bit awkwardly at that, “I have a bit more explaining to do with them, so…”

Spectrum waved a hoof at her son, a soft, stressed-out chuckle leaving her muzzle.
“You really shouldn’t be this comfortable with all this,” she sighed, “but I get it. This is part of what you do. And yes, Gelliana’s parents have a lot of questions, many that I couldn’t answer.”

“Well, I’ll hopefully help in that regard,” Toxic admitted, “but after that, I’d like you to meet her. I…” he paused, a tender smile dawning on his face. “I think it’d be a good idea for you to get to know her. Like, really get to know her.”

The knowing smiles on his parent’s faces let Toxic know the message was well understood.


Gelliana’s nerves gnawed at her chest. It wasn’t for Toxic, herself or anything that specific. She knew what it was, of course.

I just want them to like him.

She didn’t expect her parents to fawn over Toxic like she did (nor would she want them to.) Gelliana also knew there was no way to explain how she felt. Yes, she loved him more than anything, but surviving together for over a month added an extra layer she couldn’t explain. A level of trust she hadn’t ever felt with any other creature.

It didn’t help that Gelliana just had an itching nervousness to run and hide. All she wanted to do was huddle in Toxic’s arms for an entire day. Her lack of sleep the previous night, along with the vague nightmares had quickly caught up with her.

Maybe we took re-adjusting too fast…

The tightness in her chest seemed to confirm that fact, the gryphoness recognizing an anxiety attack immediately. Everything seemed too loud, too fast; even her own thoughts.

She had to stop herself from running over to Toxic as he entered the ornate room, instead walking over with a smile. He saw right through it, of course, the stallion pausing with that adorable head-tilt and flick of his ears.

“Gells? You ok?” he asked softly. Even if it was muted by the amulet, the concern was there; she knew it was there.

“J-just overwhelmed,” she admitted, Toxic’s brow furrowing at hearing her nervous stutter resurface. Ironic this is what made her stutter; not running from a bunch of freaky chaos creatures.

Taking a deep breath, she trotted over to her parents, Toxic following with a clear amount of concern. Despite the anxiety and nerves, she did feel a bit of pride. Finally, being able to introduce someone to her parents that genuinely made her happy.

And that I can say I love completely. I never thought I’d…

“Mom, Dad,” Gelliana managed to say with a sincere smile, “this is my special somepony, Toxic Shield. I guess you know a little bit about him.”

“A little, but I’d say this are odd circumstances to say the least,” Marble admitted. Toxic took a step forward, holding out his hoof.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you both. I do wish it was under better conditions,” Toxic admitted.

Shaking his outstretched hoof, Obsidian looked over the stallion, clearly curious about the amulet but not saying anything just yet.

“Well, it is nice to meet you too, Toxic,” Obsidian said, “I know we can be a bit overbearing at times, so we had a feeling Gelliana was keeping much of her life private. Apparently, that was correct.”

There was no surprised or accusatory glance to Gelliana; Toxic only nodded firmly.
“I can understand secrecy,” he admitted, “I have not and cannot tell my parents everything for different reasons. But she has spoken highly of you regardless.”

That seemed to make the older stallion smile, Marble not able to resist a question.

“So, you and Gelliana-I just, it’s a bit much to take in,” she admitted, “We didn’t even know she was dating somepony steadily. Then after the capture, it’s just a lot. Meeting you makes that fact rather real.”

“Well, I’m happy to answer any questions you may have,” Toxic said, gesturing to the amulet, “including about this and why my voice sounds a bit boring. I imagine that got overlooked in the situation briefings.”

Obsidian at least had the nicety to look towards his hooves a built guilty.
“I didn’t want to pry. Our first meeting and all that.”

“Not prying at all. It’s a part of me and rather easily explained,” Toxic said casually, any previous tension quickly dissipating, “I am the sole survivor of the Oakbark incident; where my town got smothered in a chemical leak. While I’m impervious to all known chemical and biological hazards, unfortunately, my vocal cords were an early weak point. So, my voice now hurts the ears of everyone within range without this dampening gem.” A nudge from Gelliana made Toxic smile. “Well, almost everyone.”

“Gelliana? You aren’t?” Marble asked.

“Nope. I guess being a runt has its perks,” the gryphoness replied, Toxic frowning.

“Runt? I prefer the term fun sized,” he grumbled, Gelliana immediately blushing. Marble’s demeanor softened at that.

“For whatever reason, she can hear my real voice. That’s one of many, many things I love about her. She didn’t figure that out until after my amulet broke though,” Toxic explained, the parents nodding in interest.

“Well, the usual questions of what do you do and all that are a bit…outdated due to the circumstances,” Marble admitted, “would it be alright if we asked you a few questions alone? I promise nothing too crazy. Even for us,” she added, Gelliana looking at them cautiously.

“That’s no problem at all. Gells?” Toxic asked, the gryphoness nodded. Pausing before leaving, she looked over to Toxic as his forelimb brushed hers. “You hanging in there?”

A tearful nod made her special somepony’s ears flatten.

“Just hold on, ok?”

Another nod, and Gelliana slid to sit outside the room to give her parents and Toxic a bit of privacy. She wasn’t too worried for him; pretty much not at all if she was being honest. It made sense they had a few personal questions for him. To say the situation was odd was an understatement; they were her parents and wanted to check things. That was fair enough.

But the growing anxiety in her chest was almost overwhelming. She just felt so out of place. Not safe, just not good.

Tears welled up in the gryphoness’s eyes. It took everything she had to not just crumple into a ball. She was just so tired.


“Is she alright?” Marble asked Toxic immediately, the three of the sitting down at some cushions that bordered the wooden table in the room.

“She’s adjusting,” Toxic answered with a pensive huff as he thought, “we’ve been through a lot. I’m just used to this sort of trauma, hence why I’m so calm. That’s for better or worse at this point I suppose. We’ll get through this together. It’ll just be rough at first.”

The two ponies glanced at each other, Marble clearly taking the lead for what they wanted to ask. Thankfully, he had guessed fairly correct at their intentions.

“Toxic, with all of this going on, I guess we just have two really simple questions for you, as Gelliana’s parents,” Marble said, clearly being more unsure as she spoke. It then occurred to Toxic that they hadn’t ever done this before. Letting go of a daughter and accepting independence all while realizing she was kidnapped must have been difficult.

Understatement of the century.

“I’m happy to answer both.”

“Well, what does Gelliana mean to you?”

Toxic blinked, finding the responses he had pulled together for such a question utterly and completely inadequate.

“I don’t know if words can really do it justice,” he said softly, brow furrowing. “I assume you don’t know much about what we went through.”

“Less than what you told Celestia. That’s about as accurate as we can be, I think. The summaries you sent and such.”

Toxic took a few moments to mull that over.

“Mr. and Mrs. Forge,” he finally said firmly but kindly, “I have killed creatures to protect her. I would do it against in a heartbeat and with no hesitation. Perhaps that makes my point more than many other words could.”

Those opening words made the two ponies visibly wince, Toxic mentally taking a deep breath. It was a touchy subject to normal creatures, after all.

“I have saved your daughter’s life; that much was in the summary when we were captured. What wasn’t explained in sufficient detail was how she saved mine,” Toxic said, the two Parent’s ears perking up in curiosity.

“I was poisoned. I would be dead a hundred times over if not for Gelliana. She is one of the strongest creatures I know.” A lump grew in Toxic’s throat at that as he tried to push past it. “I am not a perfect pony. I am a very, very flawed pony who is dealing with a significant amount of challenges. And yet she loves me all the same. What does that mean to me?”

He paused again, head shaking slightly as he met Marble and Obsidian’s gaze.
“I can tell you I love her. I can tell you I have, and would protect her with my life. Yet I don’t think I can really explain fully how much she means to me. I’ve saved her life; she has saved mine. She’s my best friend, and I trust her with my life and more. We’ve gone through a nightmare together and are stronger for it,” he shrugged at that, “I suppose that’s the best way I can put it.”

The two ponies were shocked; that much was certain, so Toxic decided to add a bit of an addendum.

“I am aware you didn’t know we were dating. So perhaps this is all being a bit too strong. But I’d be lying if I said anything less. I’m sorry for the shock, but you’d learn it from her if not from me. Anything I say…I know her replies will be similar. I trust her.”

The three ponies sat in silence for a few moments, Obsidian finally speaking.
“Where do you think-where do you want to go from here?” he asked, “concerning our daughter.”
Toxic didn’t answer immediately, knowing the question was a serious one indeed. For such an odd first meeting, it wasn’t entirely out of place for sure.

“My honest answer, Mr. and Mrs. Forge, will probably be very off putting for you and seem very sudden,” Toxic admitted. “I want your daughter to be happy. I want to see her smile and laugh every day for the rest of her life. And I’d like nothing more than to be a reason for that to happen, if that’s Gelliana’s wish.”

His reply made Marble melt slightly, Obsidian nodding firmly.
“So, perhaps in the future we will be having some more serious talks?” he asked.

“As far as I know, that’s a certainty. But to assuage any other questions, we are taking things slow. And I have lived my life as a gentle-colt. That has never changed.”

Toxic had to resist a laugh as Marble relaxed even further. Stars forbid he reveal Gelliana had been the hot-blooded one more often than not.

To the grave that knowledge would go. Well, outside of his relationship at least.

“Well, Toxic, you are one interesting stallion,” Obsidian admitted, “I look forward to getting to know you more after all of this has subsided a bit.”

“Likewise,” Toxic replied, shaking both their hooves again.

“It’s a bit odd since we know some things about you. Your mother is quite a gem,” Marble admitted, “but you kept our daughter safe. That means more than you know.”

“We kept each other safe, Ms. Forge.”

“Just Marble. Goodness it makes me sound so old,” the mare laughed, “Gelliana? We’re done interrogating your coltfriend. He’s alive and well,” she called out.

Walking back into the room, Gelliana had a smile on her face, perhaps overhearing the end of the conversation.

Toxic, though, immediately saw that something was off. The gesture didn’t reach her eyes; and Marble picked up on it as well.

“Gelly?” her mother asked, the gryphoness shaking her head, smile wavering as she stopped, limbs starting to shake.

“Gells?” Toxic asked, swiftly walking over to her and looking her over, “what’s going on?”

She shook her head, a few tears falling from her eyes. Everything seemed too loud, just too much. Even as much as she loved her parents, stress made her head all fuzzy. She just needed…

The familiar forelimbs that wrapped around her, however, quickly made the gryphoness focus on a familiar sound. A steady thumping underneath a furry chest.

Immediately relaxing, Gelliana sniffled as she tried to tune out everything, Toxic gently rocking her back and forth.

“It’s ok, Gells,” he whispered, “we’re safe and sound. It’s ok to just let it out. Want to go somewhere outside?”

Seeing a brief nod, Toxic looked over Marble, the mother having taken a few steps forward. The two parents were clearly confused. The fact their daughter immediately sought out the comfort of a pony they barely knew was clearly a struggle for them to process. The shift from them making their daughter feel safe to another individual being that source.

“It was a pleasure to meet you both, but we need to get outside,” Toxic said softly, “I don’t want to be rude, but…”

“No, by all means. We’ll talk again, Toxic,” Obsidian said, a genuine but slightly unsure smile twitching at his face. “It was nice to meet you. And, thank you.”

A teleportation spell whisked the pair away, leaving the two parents staring at the slightly-puffy carpet where the two once stood.

“She trusts him. That has to be good enough for me until we get to know him more,” Marble said firmly, Obsidian agreeing with a nod.

“We can’t understand what they went through, but when he spoke, he wasn’t lying,” the stallion mused, “and didn’t mince words either. He cares for her though. You saw…”

“I’ve never seen her react like that with a panic attack,” Marble agreed, letting out a sigh as she slumped onto the cushion. “Not since she was a babe and I rocked her to sleep. She trusts him that much. I have to trust her on that.”

“He kept our baby safe,” Obsidian added, “for over a month. He risked his life to save her. That counts for more than I think we can understand right now.”

“Bakery trip to think this all over?” Marble suggested.

“Definitely.”


Reappearing at the edge of the royal gardens, Toxic barely moved. He simply shifted against the grass to rock Gelliana back and forth.

“Let me know if you want me to talk,” he said, not able to resist a grin, “even though my voice may not have the sultry tones you so enjoy.”

A rather frustrated grumble was Gelliana’s reply, the gryphoness reluctantly shifting to lean against Toxic’s shoulder.

“I think that went rather well,” he mused, Gelliana letting out a snort.

“Oh yes, as I had an anxiety attack walking back into the room and we’re going to be late meeting your-”

“You’re dealing with a lot, Gells,” Toxic interrupted firmly, “you’re going to have anxiety attacks at random points, at random things, and at seemingly illogical promptings. Just know what to expect.”

She blinked; his firm words clearly spoken from experience. The follow-up kiss Toxic gave her made the gryphoness’s wings flare slightly.

“And through all of that, I’m going to be right here,” he whispered. “Nowhere else I’d rather be.” The stallion still held her tight in a hug, Gelliana snuggling close. The fact he was so effective at defusing her anxiety was almost alarming.

Almost. But if this was a solution the gryphoness wasn’t about to complain.

“I think that did go well though. I didn’t embarrass you or myself, and your parents got my honest answers,” Toxic mused. “On the plus side, no parents freaked out visibly; just genuine surprise. I assume you heard some of it. “

“Only a bit. But I trust you,” she mumbled into his chest. “What little I did hear just made me love you more.”

Toxic blinked at that; usually Gelliana wasn’t so blunt, not like this at least.
“Well, it was all true,” he replied softly, “I love you more than I can really describe. I’m still figuring it all out too. There’s a lot we have to process right now. It’s only our second day safe and sound.”

The gryphoness scooted closer at that, her breathing slowing as she listened to his heartbeat (or so Toxic assumed.)

He levitated out some small crystals from the side satchel draped across his barrel. The small items sparkled with magic, the gryphoness accepting them with a curious hum.

“What are they? They’re pretty, but…?”

“Portal crystals,” he explained as Gelliana stowed the items in her own bag. “For tonight and other nights.”

“Huh?”

“Well, we have separate quarters on the island,” Toxic added, a bit of remorse entering his voice to his surprise. Gelliana’s ears immediately flattened at that.

“So, these portals can connect the two rooms. So, if at any time you need me, I’m literally a step away,” the stallion explained, an almost shy and cautious smile flickering across his face. Gelliana glanced up at him curiously, his demeanor becoming softer and inviting.

“I actually designed my island quarters for two. A nice big house away from the main facility,” Toxic finally said, a light blush on his cheeks, “it was just me being hopeful until now. But we’re not quite there yet. Not how the rooms are laid out at least. Getting to that point involves working through the past month, some more time, some normal dates and then some respectful questions to your parents.”

Gelliana let out a squeak, looking at Toxic in surprise. His tone was completely serious, the amulet emphasizing that. A bit hesitant as if not entirely sure of her reaction, but it certainly wasn’t a joke. What made the stallion’s chest glow was that the surprise in her eyes wasn’t that he felt that way; it was that he had told her. It was hardly subtle of course.

“I guess I’ll have to wait then, as lovely as that room must be,” she admitted with an equally shy smile, “I like that plan though.”

They had danced around actually voicing the issue, but it was Gelliana who finally let out a frustrated huff, giving Toxic a hug.

“Is this why couples elope?”

The stallion burst out laughing, the embarrassed blush on Gelliana’s face just making him hug her all the tighter.

“I don’t think our specific situation has happened before,” he admitted, trying not to laugh again at Gelliana’s still-indignant face, “but you know that wouldn’t solve our problems. I think it’d make things worse.”

Her ears flicked at that.
“How so?”

“We just escaped a month of nightmares and near-death experiences,” Toxic said seriously, “I want the foundation, our foundation to be built from more than that. And while it already is, we haven’t even dealt with the fallout from last month. Making big decisions when stressed isn’t a good idea.”

“Unless it’s to say you love me,” she interjected, Toxic sighing in defeat.

“Ok, I broke that rule.”

I’m glad you did.”

“But my point still stands. Let’s get through this recovery together. Have some normal dates, or normal for us at least.”

The gryphoness let out an amused snort at that.

“After we’ve processed what we’ve been through, we have a more normal base to continue off of, that’s when big decisions can be made. That’s how I feel about it.”

Despite nodding in agreement, Toxic didn’t miss how Gelliana’s ears and wings drooped ever so slightly. He reached over to nuzzle up her neck and to her beak, giving her a kiss before pulling back to meet her gaze.

“Don’t think it will be that long,” he added, “I’d rather deal with one issue at a time. Dealing with all this trauma plus other things would be hard.” He paused, a slight smirk flickering across his lips. “You are far too tantalizing for me to intentionally draw out things regardless.”

Gelliana let out a squeak at that, feathers fluffing adorably as she stammered. “I m-mean I don’t disagree. Not about me. But you. Me to you. I just-I get it,” she managed to say, “I just didn’t think we’d-I mean, I’ve thought abou…”

Her words trailed off into another squeak, the shy gryphoness shaking her head.

“Thought abooooooout?” Toxic teased, getting a firm nudge from Gelliana.

“Us. The future. I mean, I had a lot of time to think,” she grumbled, “and I know you’re right. It’s just a lot to think about.”

“Then don’t.”

She looked up at him in confusion.
“Huh? How can I not?”

“I mean, don’t stress over it. Wonder, put out what-if’s,” Toxic explained. He drew back, reaching down to pick up and hold one of Gelliana’s clawed hands.

“We’re going to deal with this. All the stuff from the past month, be it anxieties, fears, and getting back to a normal,” he said softly, Gelliana giving his hoof a squeeze as she listened. “I am used to processing trauma, very used to it, even if that means having to ignore some of it. I want to help you as much as I can. That means giving you time to adjust, both of us going to counseling, and having normal dates as we get used to not running for our lives…again.”

Toxic leaned over to rest his forehead against Gelliana’s, the gryphoness pushing against him comfortingly.

“And after at least a few months of that, then we’ll talk about the alternatives to eloping.”

No cute squeaks this time, but she definitely drew a surprised breath.

“That’s the plan that I’m running off of. I don’t need to think too much about it because that’s just the best way I know how to handle all of this,” Toxic explained. “I’m here with you. End of story until you don’t want me to be. That isn’t going to change in a few months.”

“S-so basically, just focus on getting better?” she asked, the stallion nodding firmly.

“Yup. I promise I’ll be with you every step of the way. Maybe it’ll be a rough journey, maybe not. I’m going to have to continually deal with my own issues, but I want to help you as much as I can.”

Toxic’s thoughts abruptly came to a simple conclusion, one that perhaps would make the point better.

“We’re a team, Gells,” he said, “that’s not going to change. I want to figure this all out and anything else that may come up with you. All I’m saying is that lets deal with this stuff first and then we can figure out our next adventure, one that I hope you agree to in the future.”

Scooting forwards, Gelliana wrapped her stallion up in a hug, Toxic immediately returning the gesture.

“I like that plan. I like that plan a lot,” she whispered, her grip tightening around him as she smiled, “and that assumes you’re the one to ask me first. I’m here for you, Tox. I’ve thought about this stuff to. I want to have more adventures. A lot more. I’m not going anywhere either.”

“Love you, Gells,” Toxic said after a few moments, his voice hitching slightly. “I didn’t really know you had thought…”

“Tox, I’ve thought a lot about us. I’m not going anywhere.

She heard a soft sniffle, Toxic still returning the embrace as he buried into her neck feathers. Gelliana made a mental note form what she had observed in the dream space, his slight hesitation.

He was there for her; she didn’t doubt that. But the gryphoness could now see that almost two decades of being needed, not wanted was going to be a slow and steady cycle to break.

But they had each other. A team. Things didn’t seem so overwhelming if she thought about it that way.


“Oh, you are just a dear,” Spectrum gushed as she shook Gelliana’s claws, the gryphoness not able to resist a blush. “Toxic has told us quite a bit about you!”

Gelliana could only stammer, Toxic smirking off to the side.

“We know you two are still recovering, so we won’t keep you too long,” Spectrum added, the mare looking at the gryphoness. Her lips quivered, Toxic’s mother pulling Gelliana in for a hug.

“Thank you for taking care of our son,” she whispered, Gelliana only able to nod for a few moments.

“We took care of each other.”

Spectrum smiled at that, the two parting as the mare held the gryphoness’s claws.
“Maybe when you’re feeling better, we can talk more if that’s alright?” she asked. “Perhaps a lunch? I don’t want either of you to push after everything you’ve been through.”

Gelliana’s ears perked in surprise. Had she been that obvious?

“I…”

“Dear, I know the signs of an anxiety attack. Goodness, I raised that stallion,” Spectrum chuckled, gesturing to a sheepish Toxic. “So, let’s talk later. You two go relax. We’re just happy you’re safe.”

“Doubly happy,” Obsidian chimed in, “we’re just glad you’re back home.”

Toxic sidled over and gave Gelliana’s side a nudge, the gryphoness relaxing as she wrung her claws nervously, still managing to speak without stuttering for now.

“Thank you. It really is n-nice to meet you both,” she said. “Even if it’s just a hello. I w-would like to talk…”

Well, mostly stutter-free at least.

“Don’t worry about it! You two have your plates full as it is. We can visit the island perhaps!” Obsidian remarked, Toxic nodding in agreement.

“That can easily be arranged.”

The parents gave their son a hug, Toxic then summoning a portal.

“Good to see you guys…love you,” he added, the ponies waving to the stallion and his special somegriff.

“We’ll talk soon, we’re just happy you two are safe and sound,” Spectrum replied.

The two ponies simply smiled, bidding their son and his special-somegriff farewell as Toxic triggered the portal leading back to their island.

“Love you; we’ll talk again soon, I promise,” Toxic said in parting, nodding in approval as, after knocking, Celestia poked her head in.

“Highness,” Toxic said, pausing as Gelliana slipped through the portal. “Thank you for your help and for keeping my parents safe.”

Celestia’s eyes immediately watered, the alicorn bowing her head in thanks.

And with that, Toxic vanished, leaving the three in the empty room.

“Well, I think that went nicely!” Spectrum proclaimed, “poor dear was about to have a heart attack; let’s get some lunch.”

“Would it be alright if I joined you?” Celestia asked softly, Obsidian’s eyes widening in surprise.

“Of course, Princess!” Spectrum replied, looking up at the alicorn curiously. Celestia waved aside the gaze, her wings shrugging.

“Your son has given me a lot to think about. I’d just like to spend time with the parents who raised such an incredible stallion.”

As they walked the castle halls, it was Obsidian who offered the final introspective remark, the usually quiet stallion smiling proudly.

“We may have raised him, but in the past few years, Toxic has grown a lot more than I can really understand,” he admitted. “But I think we just met one of the individuals who has helped him in that journey.”


Icait relaxed against a familiar side, Onyx drowsily mumbling as he shifted during his nap.

The island felt different, everycreature no longer on edge after Toxic and Gelliana were rescued. It had been little more than a week since they returned, and the hasty hellos had definitely revealed the two had been through the wringer.

And yet it oddly seemed so far away. While Icait wanted to spend some time with Gelliana, it was clear the poor gryphoness was starting to struggle.

The Windigo couldn’t imagine, the thought causing her to snuggle closer to her new special-somepony.

I’m just glad she has someone there for her.

To that end, Icait was learning how much more pleasant things were with somecreature. Even if Onyx was the island’s official grump, the shadow-pony had slowly started to file down the edges of his remarks, if only slightly.

But having dates every other day or so had quickly shown that Onyx was trying, and he did care. Underneath the sarcasm and outwardly annoyed behavior, there was a stallion who cared quite a lot.

He made a point of telling Icait so, at least when they were alone and a few concealment spells had been cast. The poor stallion was clearly insecure about it; but she couldn’t blame him.

“What are you thinking about?” a tired mumble caught Icait’s attention, the Windigo shrugging her spectral shoulders.

“Just stuff. Us stuff.”

“Hmmmm,” Onyx murmured. Icait let out a squeak as he shifted, resting his muzzle in her mane, “hopefully nice things then.”

She honestly wasn’t sure if he was awake or asleep. Rare nuzzles like this were about as far as Onyx had dared after another four dates. But she wasn’t about to complain or push him.

“Obviously nice things. Just, things have changed around here too,” Icait admitted. “With Toxic and Gelliana being back. It feels like things are over. But we know that monster is still out there.”

“True. I can still feel that as well,” Onyx agreed with a huff, “but he is running. I think that is a good sign indeed.”

The Windigo couldn’t disagree with that.

I just hope Gelliana is ok.

Thankfully, that thought was buffered by having seen the gryphoness beaming as she had walked with her special-somepony. Her friend had someone there for her, and Icait was only now starting to realize how much that meant.

Author's Note:

:yay:

PreviousChapters Next