• Published 7th Mar 2020
  • 1,561 Views, 33 Comments

Sweet Affection 5: The Quest to True Love - Masterob



Rumble must reunite with Sweetie Belle to overcome odds.

  • ...
9
 33
 1,561

Picking Sides

Coming from the Everfree Forest was the duo of Rumble and Chrysalis, along with a flock of Changelings. The queen had convinced Rumble to join her and thus their plan continued. All because Rumble just wanted to go see Cozy Glow.

"Hey, you are taking me to Cozy Glow right?" Rumble asked. "This isn't some elaborate trick?"

"No, it's not," Chrysalis said, getting slightly annoyed by his contestant mistrust. Though she can't really blame him, she has caused a lot of trouble for him and no doubt her Changelings may have made things worse.

Rumble was still uneasy, he wasn't sure if he could really trust Chrysalis, he was really close to just flying away. But part of him wanted to see where this was going. "Hey, may I ask you something?"

"What is it?" Chrysalis asked.

"How exactly did you break free?" Rumble asked. "I mean, you were trapped in stone for so long, how did you escape?"

"We had help, you'll understand more soon," Chrysalis explained.

"Oh, alright..." Rumble said. "You know, I kind of felt bad for you after you got turned into statues."

"Did you now?" Chrysalis said, a little curious by this statement. "I thought you'd be happy, like all the other pitiful ponies."

"Maybe I should have been, but the way I saw it, it was unnecessary," Rumble said. "You were already in Tartarus, what Discord did to you, taking you, Tirek and The Sirens out, bringing in Cozy Glow, all just to help Twilight with her self esteem, it just seemed kind of cruel. I know you're not a nice creature but what Discord did wasn't any better."

"Hm...I must admit, I'm a bit surprised to hear you say this," Chrysalis said. "Even though we are enemies, you feel for us."

"Chrysalis, why didn't you join the other Changelings?" Rumble asked. "When Thorax helped the hive, why didn't you join them? You could have had all the love you needed, it seems like such a waste."

"It's all about Principle to me young pony," Chrysalis said. "I wasn't going to conform to Equestria's way of thinking, we Changelings have strived for love for decades, it's the natural way of things to be done, for Twilight, Starlight and those other ponies to come in and try to change our nature isn't Harmony, it's just another form of tyrannical rule, no different than what others say about me."

"Wasn't there any way you could have just joined with us?" Rumble asked. "You didn't have to be our friend but it would have been better than Tartarus."

"What's done is done, besides I have my hive back, and I didn't have to sacrifice my way of doing things," Chrysalis said. "Even if I stayed an outcast, at least I would have had my pride. If there's one lesson I can pass down to you young one, is that pride is not worth giving up on."

"Pride huh?" Rumble tapped his chin. "I've seen a lot of that, seems like a risk though, I've seen what pride does to others."

"Pride is only part of the answer, it's what you do with it, my pride, my ambition, my drive, it brought me back to the top," Chrysalis said. "It works for all of us, we will not be treated like pawns in Equestria's system."

"Chrysalis, sometimes I don't understand you," Rumble said. "But, I do respect your way of thinking. I would never want to give up on my stance either, many ponies looked down on me because I refused to earn a Cutie Mark, I refused to be put in a specific category for the rest of my life. So I know how you feel when you talk about pride at least."

"That's good to hear," Chrysalis said. "Let's hurry, Cozy Glow is waiting, and she's quite impatient."

"Don't I know it," Rumble said, following after the Queen.


Back with Twilight and Sweetie Belle, the two mares had begun their battle against King Sombra, each of them rushing in with a magic blast that the evil King had managed to deflect and then attacked them with a blast of his own.

"Come on, you can do better than that Princess," Sombra said. "As for that other filly...well I don't really know her well so I guess I can't comment."

"Oh soon you'll know me as the mare that kicked your flank!" Sweetie Belle shouted, sending some blasts at Sombra, which he teleported away from. He attempted to zap the teen filly but Twilight reappeared beside Sombra and blasted him herself.

"Clever tactic," Sombra said, zapping Twilight back. "But you're still lacking in power."

Sweetie Belle zapped Sombra in the face, getting the King's attention. "I'm not done with you!"

"Yes you are," Sombra said, using his magic to lift Sweetie Belle and flung her away.

"Sweetie Belle!" Twilight flew in to catch Sweetie Belle with her magic before she hit the ground, but this distraction allowed Sombra to blast her from the sides.

"You should worry more about yourself Princess, if you hope to walk away with your life intact," King Sombra warned.

"A true friend would never abandon another," Twilight said, getting back on her feet.

"You ponies and your righteousness when it comes to Friendship," Sombra berated, making his way over to the Princess. "Do you truly believe Friendship is as powerful as you make it out to be?"

"It's helped me so far," Twilight said.

"Yes, it's helped you maybe, but what about the other ponies?" Sombra asked. "From what I here, some ponies and other creatures tried Friendship, and it still failed them, mostly because of you."

"What are you even talking about Sombra?" Twilight asked.

"That filly Cozy Glow, Friendship sure didn't hep her now did it?" Sombra said. "And she really tried hard with that, but alas, no true guidance, guess you pick and choose who you deem worthy, you're more of a villain than I am."

"Oh don't even try twisting this onto me," Twilight said. "Cozy Glow made her choice, if she really valued Friendship, she wouldn't have been so tempted by evil."

"Sounds to me like you're just covering up your own failures," Sombra taunted. "Could it have really been that difficult to help a foal?"

"Enough!" Twilight shouted, blasting at King Sombra again, knocking him back a little. "You're not going to get into my head, I know I did everything I could do for the ponies of Equestria, whether or not they truly accepted Friendship is on them."

"So you were alright with Discord manipulating others as long as they were 'villains', ones who were already imprisoned in Tartarus, ones including a Siren who tried helping her friends and a filly who just wanted to find love," Sombra taunted once again.

Twilight hesitated a moment, knowing Sombra did have somewhat of a point, not that she'll let him know that. "I've already talked this over with Discord, what he did wasn't proper but that didn't mean he meant any harm."

"Sending me and other villains to do damage to Equestria is 'no harm'?" Sombra asked, almost genuinely confused. "It's thanks to Discord that I was able to destroy the Tree of Harmony, it's thanks to Discord that the ponies of Equestria nearly turned on each other, it's thanks to Discord that a poor filly was trapped in a statue, with the love of her life being helpless to save her."

Twilight then grabbed Sombra in a magical binding spell, squeezing tightly on the evil King, "You are really starting to get on my bad side Sombra, I'm done listening to you, I'm going to destroy you again! This time I'll make sure you can't come back!"

With the last bit of his magic, Sombra blasted Twilight with an illusion spell. Suddenly Twilight could see what looked like Cozy Glow, the young filly looking like she had been hurt pretty badly, with bruises all over her body, and some blood as well.

"Why are you so mean to me Twilight? Why couldn't you show me true Friendship?" Cozy Glow asked, tears strumming down her face, mixed with the blood on her cuts. "You helped Starlight, you helped Stygian, wasn't I worth it? Didn't I deserve a better life?"

"We gave you that chance, and you turned against us!" Twilight said. "Even after Rumble and Flitter accepted you Cozy, you still turned against us."

"It wasn't my fault, Discord tricked me," Cozy Glow said.

"That's no excuse!" Twilight shouted. "You should have known better!"

"I'm just a filly Twilight, there isn't much I can do without the proper guidance," Cozy Glow said, her body slowly turning into stone, concerning Twilight a bit. "But no, you didn't care enough to help me, you just wanted to get rid of me to hide your greatest failure! You're no hero Twilight, you're a fake! You don't deserve to be called the Princess of Friendship!"

With that last word, the filly had completely turned to stone, a look of fury in her eyes. For the first time in a while, Twilight looked absolutely terrified, doubts creeping into her mind, what she once thought was the right thing could have just been one big, giant mistake on her part.

"No...it can't be, she...she was evil..." Twilight shook her head, trying to erase the doubts. "She was an evil filly, I did what I had to do!" Flashes of Luna, Discord, Starlight and Stygian flew through her minds, but each happy memory was replaced with a stone Cozy Glow, but instead of the fury in her eyes, it was instead the fear she would see in the garden in Canterlot. "It wasn't me that turned you to stone! Celestia, Luna and Discord did that!"

"You could have reversed it," Sombra's voice said. "But you didn't, you left her there. I'm willing to bet that she could still hear and see everything. What a terrible fate for a young girl."

"Get out of my head Sombra!" Twilight shouted, blasting in every direction.

"You can deny it all you want Twilight Sparkle," Sombra's voice rang out. "But you can't escape the truth forever, you failed!"

Twilight continued blasting, desperately trying to find and destroy King Sombra, however he snuck behind her and zapped her hard, knocking her to the floor. Sombra charged his magic again, looking ready to deal another blow, but this was in fact for the oncoming Sweetie Belle, who tried taking Sombra down again.

"Get away from Twilight!" Sweetie Belle rushed in to attack but Sombra had blasted her hard, knocking her out. He used his magic to levitate the two girls overheard and trotted off with both mares in possession.


With Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, the two had just been caught by Changelings and Storm King Soliders, both mares surrounded by the villain groups.

"Come with us quietly, or we'll have to use force!" A Changeling warned, getting in close to the two Crusaders.

"You'd be smart to stand back, I know how to fight!" Scootaloo warned.

"Oh, how scary," a Changeling taunted. "The little pony thinks she's a match for us, wow I'm shaking like a-"

Scootaloo then delivered a massive punch to the Changeling, knocking it out. Before the other Changelings could react, Scootaloo started taking then out too with quick strikes. The soldiers tried to attack but Apple Bloom rushed in with a ram to the gut and then buck kicked an oncoming enemy.

It wasn't long before the two fillies had managed to take down all of the enemies that threatened them, both of them continuing their journey right afterwards.

"You got some good fighting skills there Scootaoo," Apple Bloom complimented.

"My parents teach me a few tricks during their visits," Scootaoo said. "Though you got some muscle on you yourself."

"Well years of Apple Bucking is bound to build up some muscle," Apple Bloom pointed out.

"Let's hurry before more enemies show up," Scootaloo said.

"Too late," they heard a voice from behind say. Both of them turned around to find Tirek. "Why hello there young fillies."

"Tirek!?" Both girls shouted.

"The one and only," Tirek greeted. "I heard some sneaky ponies managed to escape Ponyville, you must be them."

"We're going to find our friends!" Apple Bloom shouted. "We won't let even you stand in our way."

"Such guts, I kind of admire that, too bad I'm going to have to capture you myself since Chrysalis and Storm King have some really lousy soldiers," Tirek commented.

"Well we're not going down without a fight!" Scootaloo shouted, rushing at the Centaur, but taking a whack to a nearby tree for her efforts.

"Scootaloo!" Apple Bloom shouted in worry, then turned her gaze to Tirek. "You, ah haven't forgotten what you've done to mah friends and family!"

"What I've done?" Tirek asked, trying to think. "Oh right, I think I know you, one of Cozy Glow's friends from Ponyville, you're part of the Apple Family."

"And yer the one who corrupted Cozy Glow's mind, she used to be a sweet filly until you came along!" Apple Bloom said.

"Are you trying to say that I'm the reason she's bad?" Tirek asked. "She's the one who reached out to me, I just helped nurture the talent that dwelled within her. If you want, I can do the same for you, I bet with the right teachings, you too cna be a dominant force to be reckoned with."

"In yer dreams!" Apple Bloom shouted. "Ah would never betray my friends and family, especially not to a creep like you!"

The filly rushed to attack Tirek, but he sent a little zap that knocked the farm filly back, knocking her out but not injuring her too badly. Tirek scooped both up in his hand, "Maybe I'll bring them back and see what the others want to do with them, especially Cozy Glow."

With an evil cackle, Tirek walked off, the two fillies now at his mercy.


Back with Rumble, he had finally arrived at the villain headquarters with Chrysalis, at least outside. "Your headquarters is at an old swamp?"

"Believe it or not, it looked much worse years ago," Chrysalis said. "We cleaned it up some time after we were freed from our stone prisons."

"How exactly did you get out?" Rumble asked.

"We were freed by Grogar," Chrysalis said. "The real Grogar, not that imposter that was Discord."

"So he is real?" Rumble said. "Uh, are you positive it's not just another trap."

"We double checked, we won't be fooled twice," Chrysalis said. "This Grogar is much more vicious than how Discord pretended to be, he's also a bit more cunning and aware. I'm actually surprised he freed us given how he knew that we ended up betraying Discord when he pretended to be Grogar."

"Maybe he needs help to bring down Twilight?" Rumble asked.

"Possible, none of us like to admit it, but Twilight and her friends are very formidable foes, we'd be foolish to try and go at it alone," Chrysalis said. "Though Grogar made it clear that if we were to betray him like we originally would have, then the consequences would be dire. I would know because he made an example out of some of my Changelings, and the Storm King's guards."

"How bad?" Rumble asked.

"You don't want to know," Chrysalis said. "Never mind that, come so we can meet up with Cozy Glow, she's waiting for you."

Chrysalis led the foal to a soggy tree near the swamp where Cozy Glow was waiting. The sight of her was a bit strange to Rumble, she barely seemed to age, aside from growing a centimeter or two, likely the effect of having been imprisoned in stone for so long.

"Cozy Glow!" Rumble said, getting the filly's attention.

"Rumble, you're here!" Cozy Glow said, rushing over to hug the colt. "I haven't had a chance to hug you in forever!"

"Yeah, same," Rumble said, hugging the girl that he once called his marefriend. "This is not how I imagined our reunion to be like."

"When was the last time you two were together?" Chrysalis asked.

"Well we technically haven't been together since we were foals," Cozy Glow said. "Or since Rumble was a foal, I'm still not fully grown into my age. Grogar said it could take a while, but I don't mind being a filly for a little while longer, I get to stay small and adorable for much longer."

"We saw each other a week ago," Rumble said. "Really surprised me but she just warned me that things were gonna change, and now I know what she was talking about."

"Oh things have changed big time," Chrysalis said. "It took some planning after our freedom but we managed to pull off the biggest battle against Equestria, and soon we will have our revenge against Twilight Sparkle and her friends."

"Shouldn't your revenge be on Discord, Celestia and Luna?" Rumble asked. "They were the ones who turned you into stone."

"We'll get them too of course," Cozy Glow said. "But Twilight and her friends started all this, not to mention they left me as a statue!"

"Yeah I tried talking her into freeing you but she never listened to me," Rumble said. "I've really missed you these last few years, I don't know if you're aware but I did go to see you quite often."

"I had some sense of what was happening around me," Cozy Glow said. "I know you came by, I think you told me a few stories."

"Oh yeah, I definitely remember that," Chrysalis said, not too fond of the memories.

"It actually made me feel happy," Cozy Glow said. "Every time I sensed your presence...I felt a little more at ease. You must have really loved me."

"I did, a lot," Rumble admitted. "I mean, we had a really nice bond together, you're one of the only fillies that brought me joy."

"So you never moved on?" Chrysalis asked.

"I tried to, very briefly," Rumble admitted. "Sorry to say."

"Oh...well, with who?" Cozy Glow asked. "Was it with Apple Bloom? Or Scootaloo?"

"No, it wasn't anypony from Ponyville," Rumble said.


It was sometime after the villains had been turned to statues and Twilight's ascension to Equesstria's ruler. Rumble had made several attempts to convince Twilight to undo Cozy Glow's imprisonment, but each time Twilight brushed it off, due to her now being too busy to worry about Cozy Glow.

This of course infuriated Rumble, the boy had done just about everything he could to help Cozy Glow, but nopony wanted to listen to him. Rumble was upset for sure, not being able to protect Cozy Glow, but he wasn't the only one feeling down over this.

Flitter, much like Rumble, also felt shame and the burden of being unable to protect Cozy Glow. She promised to be a good guardian and role model for the filly and she couldn't even do that correctly, not knowing that Cozy Glow was still associated with the villains and had been secretly plotting Twilight's downfall.

Cloudchaser had seen just how bummed out Rumble and Flitter had become, and while she never really trusted Cozy Glow that much herself, it still saddened her to see just how heartbroken both Flitter and Rumble looked.

To cheer them up, she along with Thunderlane took the two on a trip to Rainbow Falls, figuring a nice vacation would take their mind of their troubles.

Rumble trotted through the fields, doing anything but relaxing his mind, as he just used the time to think of more ways he could convince Twilight to release Cozy Glow. Granted it upsets Rumble a bit that his word isn't enough for Twilight, considering how much he's done to prove himself, plus he figured with Twilight planning that festival a couple years back in his honor, along with his friends, he figured that meant Twilight held him at some high regard already.

Though part of Rumble feels like he and his friends had been fully replaced by those Six Students that constantly hang out together.

As Rumble trotted through the fields, he felt a sudden gust of wind passing him by, nearly knocking him over. "Whoa! Where did that come from?" He felt another, his curiosity peaking, "There must be a really fast Pegasus nearby..." Rumble looked up to spot a surprise, "Or, two fast Pegusai."

Practicing in the sky were the Barrel Twins, Pickle and Barley, the Pegasus siblings from Hope Hollow. They dashed around in the air, performing some really incredible tricks, ones that even Rumble was amazed by. Whoever these foals are, their moves were quite the sight to behold.

Both foals landed down a few feet away from Rumble, neither one noticing him yet, just taking a quick breath before starting up again.

"We're making great time Pickle, with this type of momentum we're definitely going to rule this Junior Derpy Race!" Barley said.

"Like they'll be any match for us, what team work better than twins?" Pickle said. "We've pretty much got telepathy."

"Uh, sure Pickle," Barley deadpanned. "Still you are right about the teamwork, we make a great team, when you're not trying to show off."

"Hey you can be a show-off too, don't pin it only on me," Pickle said.

Barley was about to retort, but held off on it, not wanting to continue, "Never mind it, let's just get back into practice, we gotta be absolutely great if we want to pull this off!"

"I think you two are already great," Rumble said, catching their attention. "You move so fast and you're perfectly in sync with one another, you two are incredible!"

"Aw thanks," Barley said, a bit charmed by this new yet really cute colt. "My brother and I have been practicing our whole lives, we want to be Wonderbolts someday."

"We've actually met a Wonderbolt, you might have heard of a pony named Rainbow Dash," Pickle said. "She said we were amazing."

"Oh you two know her?" Rumble asked, then examined them briefly. "Huh, are you the Barrel Twins from Hope Hollow?"

"Huh? Yeah, how did you know that?" Barley asked.

"My friend Scootaloo told me about you, she's very close to Rainbow Dash, in fact they're like sisters to each other," Rumble explained.

"Wait, you know somepony that's close to Rainbow Dash?" Pickle asked.

"Yeah, I mean I've met Rainbow Dash too, my brother and one of my foalsitters went to Wonderbolts Academy with her, they both became Wonderbolts as well," Rumble said.

"Your brother's a Wonderbolt!?" Barley asked in disbelief.

"Which one is he?" Pickle asked.

"My brother's name is Thunderlane, he's got a black coat and a cool mohawk," Rumble explained. "Are you familiar with that one?"

"Yeah, I think so," Barley said. "He's one of the newer Wonderbolts, but wow, he's really your brother?"

"Yeah, got a famous brother now," Rumble said, somewhat bashfully.

"So if you get into The Wonderbolts, you can be a Wonderbolt duo!" Pickle said.

"Yeah, well I wasn't sure lately about joining The Wonderbolts, The Washouts also sent me offers, mainly since I know Lightning Dust," Rumble said.

"You seem to know a lot of famous ponies," Barley said, making her way over to Rumble. "So what's your name?"

"My name is Rumble," the boy replied.

"You said you know us but I'll introduce us anyway," Barley said. "My name's Barley, this is my brother Pickle."

"Nice to meet you both," Rumble greeted.

"So Rumble, do you want to come and practice with us?" Barley asked. "Having a Wonderbolt brother, I'd like to see just how good you are."

"Heh, prepare to be blown away, literally," Rumble boasted.

True to his word, Rumble's skills did impress the twins, at least for a while. Towards the end Rumble started to get sloppy, something the twins picked up on. When he went for a roll, he lost his balance mid-air and clipped his wing on a tree, then crashed down to the ground below.

"Rumble!" Barley turned to her brother. "Hey go get the first aid kit, he looks hurt."

"Sure thing sis," Pickle said, flying off to find what he needed.

Barley flew over to Rumble, wanting to check on him. "Hey, you alright there buddy? That was a really bad fall you took."

"I'm fine, takes more than that to keep me down," Rumble said, trying to act tough.

Barley spotted some blood on Rumble's hindleg, "Maybe that cut will, that looks bad."

"Oh that?" Rumble said, checking over his cut. "I've had worse, not the first time I've beefed it."

"Well you were doing great, until the end at least," Barley said.

"Yeah, I'm a little out of practice with my skills, that and I really haven't been in the best mood lately," Rumble said. "Sometimes my emotions can affect my flying."

"I can relate to that for sure," Barley said, remembering how dull everypony in her town was for a while. "Hope you're not going through anything too bad."

"Just some failed romance," Rumble said. "I dated this girl for over a year, until we broke up. I moved onto another girl for a couple of weeks, but that didn't have the happiest ending."

"Aw, you must have really liked those girls," Barley said. Deep down she was interested to know he's technically single.

"Yeah, I mean I loved my first marefriend, I've crushed on her for years and it was by pure luck that we ended up getting together," Rumble began. "One mistake later and that's done, so I move on to another girl who had been crushing on my for a while, and I really liked her too, the problem was that she was a bit of a trouble-maker, but I didn't mind, I thought maybe I could help her out, and it was working for a while, until stuff happened beyond our control."

"Wow, sorry to hear that, they must have been really nice girls," Barley said.

"They were, my first marefriend, Sweetie Belle, you might have met her sister Rarity," Rumble said.

"Oh, famous seamstress that Kerfuffle worked with? Wow that's neat!" Barley said. "Who's the other girl?"

"Uh, just a filly who came to Ponyville," Rumble said, not wanting to risk sharing her name. "Troubled or not, I think she's a really nice girl who deserved better than what she got. But no one really listens to me."

"Keep trying, hey if you become really big and famous one day, maybe they'll have to listen to you," Barley said.

"Yeah maybe," Rumble replied, thinking over Barley's words.

"Say Rumble, later on, do you want to fly around, just us two?" Barley asked, rather bashfully. "I can find a way to keep my brother distracted, but only if you want to."

"Just us?" Rumble asked, noticing she ha a slight blush. He had to wonder if she was asking him out, little weird to him since he just mentioned having two ex-marefriends, but then again he didn't see the harm in just dating, wouldn't be the first time. "Alright, that sounds good."

"I just have to be home by a certain time," Barley said. "Well not home, but at my hotel room, though I'll be here all week so we have more time to spend if you want to."

"Same, here a week," Rumble said.

"Pickle and I have been practicing for a derby, ours is team based but they have something for solo ponies, you should totally enter," Barley said.

"If I can keep my head in the game," Rumble said.

"Don't worry, I'll help you any way I can," Barley insisted.

"Thanks Barley, you're really nice," Rumble said, getting more of a blush from the filly.

"Thanks, so are you," Barley said, shortly before her brother finally arrived with the First-Aid kit, finally treating Rumble's cut.

Over the next week, Rumble and Barley bonded pretty well, often seen flying and training together, but also having some down time, including various dates over lunch, or a picnic, playing some other sporty games, exercise, it was really fun for the two.

Pickle wasn't completely left to himself, as he and Rumble were able to have a bond of their own, hanging out to discuss flight techniques, often trying to one up the other in skill, their Friendship also being the foundation of a rivalry of sorts.

For the first time in a while, Rumble really was relaxed and had his mind off his troubles. He made some really nice friends, a boy he can rival and a girl he kind of liked a lot. Come the day of the derby, both the twins and Rumble excelled in their activities, much to the delight of the Barrel Family as well as Thunderlane, Flitter and Cloudchaser.

Rumble felt back on top of the world, plus with his newfound motivation, he felt one step closer to redemption, that much closer to helping out Cozy Glow.

Soon came time for everypony to go home, and while Pickle was talking with Thunderlane, trying to get some Wonderbolt advice, Rumble spent a little alone time with Barley.

"I'm really glad I met you Barley, I had a lot of fun this week thanks to you," Rumble said.

"I'm happy to have met you as well Rumble," Barley replied. "You're a very talented flyer, also your brother is super cool!"

"He is, I mean he has his lame moments but he's still a great big brother," Rumble said. "You've got a great brother as well."

"Guess we're both lucky to have cool brothers," Barley said, shyly removing her hat. "Rumble, do you think we'll ever see each other again?"

"I hope so," Rumble said. "I really like you Barley."

"I like you as well," Barley said, shyly rubbing her foreleg. "I know that we won't be seeing each other much since we live in different towns but, do you think we can, you know, be coltfriend and marefriend?"

"Oh, us?" Rumble asked, blushing a bit. "Barley, I do like you, but I don't know if we can make that work. I'm still kind of bumming out over my last two marefriends. I had fun dating you but honestly, I don't know if I'm ready to commit to another relationship."

Barley' ears drooped a little, "Ok, I guess I understand."

Rumble lifted her chin to get a good look into her eyes, "Barley, you're a great filly, and I'm sorry if this upsets you, but even if I'm not ready to commit now, that doesn't mean I'll never be ready, I just have so many things to figure out. If we do become a couple, I want you to be my full time focus, and I can't make that promise right now, so I refuse to leave you as a secondary in my life."

"I think I understand," Barley said. "And I get it, I mean you just had your heart broken twice, maybe I was foolish to try and move in when you weren't emotionally ready, but you were so cute and talented, I had to take my chance, and I'm happy I did. I got to spend time with a really nice colt, we might not be a couple but I wouldn't trade this week for anything."

Rumble looked very pleased by Barley's kind words, and while they weren't going to be a couple just yet, he figured there's one thing he could do for her. Rumble leaned in and kissed Barley, the filly surprised but eagerly returning his affection.

The two stood there for a bit, locked in their brief passion of romance, that was until they heard Pickle's voice. "Dude, seriously!?"

Both their eyes widened and they turned to see Pickle with Thunderlane, Flitter and Cloudchaser, the latter three looking just as surprised.

"Well, at least Rumble's moving on," Cloudchaser said.

"Oh no, this was more of a kiss good-bye," Rumble said. "I'm still not fully ready to have a marefriend again."

"Probably for the best, it'd be weird seeing you date my sister," Pickle said.

"Weird how?" Barley asked. "What you don't think I can get a coltfriend?"

"Never said that! Just that it's weird for one of my friends to like you that way," Pickle said.

"Hey, we bonded first!" Barley argued.

Rumble seemed a bit grateful that he didn't end up with Barley yet, seems like she and her brother had some growing up to do. But he was still happy to have met her. This wouldn't be the last time he saw her as she came by Ponyville a few times, and got to hang out with Rumble more, along with Scootaloo and The Cruaders upon Rainbow Dash formally introducing them all.

Of course, Rumble never fully got with Barley, his heart still torn towards two fillies, that being Sweetie Belle, who was still dating Tender Taps, and Cozy Glow, who was still a statue.


But now here Rumble was, face to face with Cozy Glow, for the first time in a while. "That's my story, me and Barley got to date a bit but we never went beyond that, and some kissing."

"Hm, alrighty then, so you couldn't take your mind off me," Cozy Glow said. "Are you still in love with me Rumble?"

"Well, I do think about you a lot and I wanted your freedom forever," Rumble said. "If you never turned to stone, we'd definitely still be dating."

"I'm happy to know that," Cozy Glow said, then pulled out some jewelry. "Because I intend to marry you Rumble."

"Well this is a surprise," Chrysalis said. "Where'd you find that?"

"While I was out exploring," Cozy Glow said. "Rumble, take this as a sign of my proposal, right after me and my team conquer Equestria, we're getting married and we're gonna live Happily Ever After together."

"Wow, this is sudden," Rumble said. "Here I thought I'd be the one proposing to you."

"Normally I would have waited, but we need to get married as soon as possible," Cozy Glow said.

"Uh, any reason?" Rumble asked. "I mean, I'm not saying 'no' but you do seem really eager all of a sudden."

"I might as well tell you," Cozy Glow said. "Rumble, I'm pregnant."

Rumble took some time to process what he just heard, not even sure if his ears were working correctly, "Mind repeating that?"

"I'd like to clarify as well," Chrysalis said, equally surprised. "Did you just say that you are currently having a child?"

"Sure am, I'm pregnant and Rumble here is the father," Cozy Glow said.

"Uh, are you sure about that?" Rumble asked.

"Well you're the only pony I've dated, so it has to be you," Cozy Glow said. "I took a test, I'm carrying your foal."

"But...when could this have happened!?" Rumble asked.

"Well, you were kind of...affectionate while we were dating," Cozy Glow said. "I just wish I knew then, otherwise I probably wouldn't have joined with Tirek, I wouldn't have risked going along with his plan. To think my poor baby was turned to stone just like I was."

"That is rather cruel of Luna and Celestia to do," Chrysalis said. "Discord, maybe not so much, it's his nature to do despicable things."

"At least now my baby has the freedom to be born and we can raise it together Rumble," Cozy Glow said.

Rumble felt nervous, he had no idea his actions would have gotten Cozy Glow pregnant, he didn't even know she was in heat, otherwise he would have avoided his 'passionate romance'. Of course that wouldn't stop him from taking responsibility, he got her pregnant and now he must do his job and be there for Cozy Glow and his foal.

"Queen Chrysalis!" An oncoming Changeling had made it's way over. "I just got word from King Sombra, he has apprehended Princess Twilight Sparkle!"

"Ah, excellent!" Chrysalis said. "The ruler of Equestria is now at our mercy!"

"Oh goody, my day is really starting to brighten up!" Cozy Glow excitedly stated. "First I reunite with my coltfriend and now I can get my revenge on Twilight!"

Rumble wasn't too sure about that though, while he pitied the villains, and he wasn't exactly too fond of Twilight lately, he knew it'd be bad if the villains were to actually succeed with their plan.

"That's not all, apparently he captured her pupil of sorts, some Unicorn with a white coat," the Changelings said.

Now Rumble really was worried, "The Unicorn you mentioned, you didn't happen to catch her name did you?"

"Uh, not really, he just said she was fighting alongside Twilight," The Changeling explained.

"We'll figure it out later, for now let us head inside and await King Sombra's arrival," Chrysalis said. "And maybe check on our other prisoner."

"Another one?" Rumble asked. "Who else did you capture?"


Inside the headquarters within the cell of Tender Taps, the young stallion was passionately kissing a mare who highly resembled Twilight, the two looking quite intimate together.

'Twilight' pulled back, smiling seductively at Tender Taps, "You're quite the pleasure to be with, little Tappy. You really know how to please a mare."

"Uh, thanks Twilight," Tender Taps said. Of course he didn't even know if this truly was Twilight, she seemed different and for some reason, smelled like wood. "Uh, how did you get here?"

"Oh I'm going to fix a lot of my mistakes, starting with these so-called villains," the fake Twilight said. "They may not be perfect, but their ideas are useful for creating the perfect world."

"The perfect world?" Tender Taps asked. "How could they help? They've done nothing but try to destroy it."

"Oh my dear naïve Tappy, you have to look closer at these things," Fake Twilight said. "What you see as a threat, I see as a means for progression, the perfect world is within our grasp, and soon I will have the perfect Equestria, with you by my side as my Prince, doesn't that sound wonderful?"

"Uh, I think so..." Tender Taps was obviously at a loss here, not really sure what to make of this newfound attitude from Twilight, she was acting very uncharacteristic like. "Twilight, did something happen to you on the way here? Like something strange?"

"Lots of things happened Tappy, all for good reason," Fake Twilight said, making her way out of the cell. "It's been fun, I hope to have this bond with you again soon, until later little Tappy."

"W-wait, are you gonna leave me in here again!?" Tender Taps asked as Fake Twilight closed the cell.

"Only until my work is done, stay safe here and I'll be back for you soon," Fake Twilight said, trotting off, leaving a very confused Tender Taps behind.

"That can't really be Twilight, can it?" Tender Taps wondered. "I mean, she felt so real but...ugh, I really hope it wasn't a Changeling, or Chrysalis."


Later on, King Sombra arrived with both Twilight and Sweetie Belle, dropping them onto the ground rather roughly. "Nap time's over Princess Twilight, wake up!"

Twilight stirred a bit, feeling dizzy, "What in the..." She noticed Sombra nearby, "YOU!" She went to attack again but felt herself grabbed, not by Sombra, but by another magical force. She turned around to encounter a new foe.

"Greetings Princess Twilight Sparkle," Grogar said, bringing Twilight close. "I've been looking forward to this encounter for a while now."

"You must be Grogar," Twilight said. "Are you the real Grogar though?"

"I can show you my true power if you'd like, for not even that fool Discord could even hope to come close to matching," Grogar said.

"What are you even planning?" Twilight asked. "Why have you brought destruction across Equestria!?"

"It's quite simple," Grogar said. "To reshape the world to fulfil it's true potential!"

"Alright, I'll humor you," Twilight said. "Just what are you going on about?"

"All this talk of peace, harmony and Friendship, its nothing but one big illusion," Grogar said. "Your predecessors didn't strive for Friendship because it was the 'right thing to do' as they would say, rather they strived for the illusion that ponies can feel safer from it. But I know better, I know that this so-called Friendship is just a way for ponies like you to control others. That is what I seek to liberate Equestria from."

"That sounds like a bunch of horseapples," Twilight said. "Villains like you always seem to justify their actions with some false nobility, you're just some power hungry brute who wants to rule over all of ponykind! So don't act like you're some righteous liberator!"

"You've got quite the mouth on you," Grogar said, then blasted Twilight back, the mare sliding across the ground as the villain stepped forward. "But I know all too well that not all the ponies of Equestria have felt harmony under the rule of you and your predecessors, in fact here's one now."

Grogar gestured to an oncoming Cozy Glow, the filly glaring right at the Ruler of Equestria, "Princess Twilight..."

"Cozy Glow?" Twilight said, lifting herself up. "So you're back as well?"

"We all are," came the voice of Chrysalis, who had trotted over, standing by Cozy Glow's side. "You really thought you've seen the last of us, but unfortunately for you, we're back for revenge!"

Moments later Adagio appeared with her two Dazzling sidekicks, "You and your fellow Elements, Starswirl and his irritating Pillars, even those six brats from your school, one by one we will destroy all of you for what you've done to us!"

The sounds of large stomping shook the area, everypony turning to see Tirek making his way over, "And we'll start with you, and these little fillies." Tirek had dropped Apple Bloom and Scootaloo right near a now recovering Sweetie Belle.

"Apple Bloom? Scootaloo?" Sweetie Belle said, upon seeing her friends.

"Aw how nice, you get to reunite with your friends before your destruction," Sombra said, making his way over with Chrysalis by his side.

"Such love you feel from your friends, so tasty," Chrysalis said, licking her lips in delicacy.

"Aren't we a nice bunch? We're giving you one final reunion," Tirek boasted.

Sweetie Belle started to feel frightened, being surrounded by so many dangerous villains, it's her worst nightmares come true. Sombra's aura, Chrysalis's gaze and Tirek's overwhelming presence, she had no idea how she could even escape. Of course even if she could, she still had Grogar and The Dazzlings to worry about, and possibly Cozy Glow.

One voice calmed her worries, "Sweetie Belle!?" The filly turned to see her former coltfriend Rumble, making his way over. She had to wonder, those dreams she used to have of Rumble saving her, if they were possibly coming true, if he truly was going to be her knight.

"Rumble!" Sweetie Belle called out to him. "You're here!"

Rumble trotted over to the villains, "Hey, ease up, you're scaring her."

"That's the point," Tirek said. "We're villains, we intimidate ponies."

"Wait, who is this foal anyway?" Sombra asked. "Where did he come from?"

"I brought him here, it was Cozy Glow's request," Chrysalis explained.

"Wait, you came here with Chrysalis!?" Sweetie Belle asked. "But did she capture you or..."

"She didn't, she just convinced me to come with her," Rumble said. "She told me about Cozy Glow, I didn't trust her at first but she kept her word."

"Forgive me for asking, perhaps it's something I missed or am just not remembering, but why would that filly want to see you?" Sombra asked.

"She...was my marefriend," Rumble shyly admitted.

Tirek rubbed his chin as he analyzed Rumble, "Yes, I think I know this one, he was the boy Cozy Glow had feelings for."

"She still does," Chrysalis explained. "And she'll tell you why quite soon, so I would suggest that no harm come to this boy for now."

"So long as he gives me no reason to, I shall comply, for now," Sombra said.

"Hey I'll cooperate, just please don't hurt Sweetie Belle, or those other two girls with her," Rumble pleaded.

"Don't start giving us orders little colt!" Sombra warned. "I do as I please, and I answer only to myself!"

"Sombra, I suggest you watch that tone of yours," Grogar warned. "Unless you wish to die again."

Sombra looked furious, all powerful or not, he would not allow Grogar to speak to him in such a manner, as far as Sombra was concerned, he was the strongest being in Equestria. Luckily Chrysalis was able to calm his nerves, "Sombra, whatever you're feeling, suppress it, you have goals to work on, do you not?"

Sombra still felt some ire towards Grogar but slowly started to ease up, knowing full well now was not the time to act on his own, "Yes, you are right Chrysalis."

Chrysalis turned her attention to Rumble, "We'll spare these girls for now, but don't count on their survival once Grogar unleashes his plan. It took a lot from Cozy Glow to get your life spared, and even that is a very flimsy deal that can be broken at any time."

Rumble nodded in comprehension, "Uh, sure thing, Queen Chrysalis."

"Good boy," Chrysalis said, then turned to Sweetie Belle. "Perhaps you should have held onto him."

"Perhaps you shouldn't have sent Cozy Glow to ruin everything for me!" Sweetie Belle stated.

"That was her own doing, not ours," Chrysalis said. "Not that it matters anymore, the deed is done, just hope you'll survive our revamping of Equestria."

Chrysalis walked back toward Grogar and Twilight, with Sombra and Tirek following as Rumble went to check on Sweetie Belle. "Hey, are you hurt?"

"I'm fine...Rumble what's going on?" Sweetie Belle asked. "You're not on their side are you?"

"No, not exactly," Rumble said. "I mean I spent the whole day trying not to get killed by Changelings or the Storm King's henchmen."

"Not exactly? What is it only Cozy Glow you're siding with?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"Look, it's complicated, I'm trying to figure things out," Rumble said. "I know they're villains but maybe we don't need to fight, maybe we can find a way to resolve this peacefully."

"I'm all for that usually, but I don't think that's going to work," Sweetie Belle said. "I know you like Cozy Glow and that you were in love with her, maybe you still are, but you're eventually going to have to accept that there might be no way to save them, Friendship can't work on everyone I'm afraid."

"Cozy Glow isn't bad Sweetie Belle, I mean she has some kindness deep down, she just wasn't given a fair chance, Discord's the reason she rejoined the villains after all," Rumble insisted.

"Rumble," Sweetie Belle gently stroked his mane. "You're a kindhearted boy, but even Fluttershy knows when Kindness just isn't enough. Don't let your feelings derail your common sense. You might need to move on from Cozy Glow, a lot of fillies like you so you have the opportunity."

"I can't just move on from her Sweetie Belle, I could barely move on from you," Rumble admitted, much to Sweetie Belle's surprise.

"Huh? But why would that be hard? You're the one who wanted to break up with me," Sweetie Belle said.

"I did that because I did something unfair to you and thought you didn't deserve to have a lousy coltfriend, but honestly I really regret having done that," Rumble said. "I should have worked this out better, and I wanted to get back with you, but I saw you with Tender Taps and you looked so happy, I figured that maybe it was better we weren't together."

"You...wanted to come back to me?" Sweetie Belle asked in surprise. "Rumble, I'm so sorry, I didn't know...But what about Cozy Glow? Weren't you in love with her?"

"I...I don't know, maybe I thought I did but, ugh it's so confusing for me right now," Rumble held his head to calm his oncoming headache. "I really messed up Sweetie Belle, I know it's too late for us but I just want you to know I'm really sorry for what I've done and for ruining things for us. You were the best filly I could have asked for, no matter how many other fillies I dated, none of them were you. None could make me feel the same happiness you did, honestly I don't think even Cozy Glow was as great as you were." Rumble's face clenched, some tears coming from his eyes. "Ugh, if I could take you back I would in an instant, but I know that can't happen. I'm sorry for spilling this all on you, I mean you're probably very happy in your life, so don't worry about me, I'll get by."

Sweetie Belle was blown away by what she had just heard, so Rumble really was still in love with her, in a way she somewhat regrets dating Tender Taps now, she knew she shouldn't have moved on and just waited but her own curiosity got the better of her. Tender Taps was nice but he was no Rumble.

"Rumble...if you want to take me back, you can," Sweetie Belle bashfully said, surprising Rumble. "Tender Taps and I...well he's nice but we really weren't doing to well. He still had feelings for Twilight and now she's starting to return them." She looked Rumble in his eyes, "Look, I totally forgive you for everything, for kissing Cozy Glow, for breaking up with me, and honestly I don't think you're a lousy pony for doing all that, you just made a mistake and you wanted to make things right. You wanted what was best for me, you wanted my happiness, you were willing to give me up because you thought I could be happy with somepony else, but I wasn't as happy with Tender Taps as I was with you. If we survive this adventure, do you think we can get back together?"

Rumble felt like he was in a dream, all this time he realized he never stopped loving Sweetie Belle, and now he finds out she never stopped loving him. They were meant to be together, and Rumble desperately wanted to take her back. "Nothing would make me happier than to get back together with you Sweetie Belle." The filly looked happy, her smile consuming her face, but as she went in for a reunion kiss, Rumble stopped her, "But we can't, because I made a terrible mistake."

"But...Rumble I told you I forgive you for cheating and breaking up," Sweetie Belle said. "We can work things out after this is all over."

"I know you forgive me, and if you told me this yesterday then I would have accepted it without a second thought," Rumble said. "But, the thing is...well, Cozy Glow told me that..."

Rumble wanted to tell her about the baby he and Cozy Glow were having, but before he could get the words out, The Storm King made his presence known. "Hey, I'm back!"

"Good, you're here," Chrysalis said, having just finished cocooning Twilight, right after Tirek had absorbed her magic. "The Princess of Equestria is captured and now the next phase of our plan can begin."

"Oh wow, that's great!" Storm King said. "Man, I thought taking out that zebra was a highlight but this, wow our Conquest is expanding! I can't wait to take over a bunch of cities and rename them after me!"

"Wait, zebra!?" Rumble asked, trotting over to The Storm King. "What did you do to Zecora!?"

"Huh? Oh I remember you, yeah you were with that zebra," Storm King said, then aimed his spear at Rumble. "Now I can take you out as well!"

Before Storm King could strike, Cozy Glow flew right in front of him, "Don't you hurt my Rumbly!"

"Uh, since when do you give me orders?" Storm King asked. "I'm a King."

"And I'm a Queen," Chrysalis said. "And I must insist that you do not harm this boy, he is vital to our plans."

"Huh? Really?" Storm King asked. "Wait, who is he exactly?"

"My coltfriend," Cozy Glow said.

Storm King looked confused, "Huh? Is that all?" He took another look at Rumble, "Hm...doesn't look that masculine."

"Huh!? Yes I do!" Rumble angrily insisted. "Check out my mane! Also my face actually looks like a stallion's face!"

"Yeah barely," Storm King said, further infuriating Rumble.

"That's not important, just keep him alive, I'm going to be a Princess and I want him as my Prince," Cozy Glow said. "Though speaking of Princess." Cozy Glow turned to Tirek, "I believe you're holding power that I want."

Tirek pointed to himself, trying to confirm if it was he who Cozy Glow was referring to, "Wait, are you asking me for power?"

"Yes, the power you just took from Twilight," Cozy Glow said. "Transfer it to me so I can turn back into an Alicorn."

"Would that even work?" Tirek asked.

"Just try it!" Cozy Glow shouted.

"Oh for heaven's sake," Grogar said, lifting up his bell and firing it at Cozy Glow. Within moments, the filly's horn had grown back, just like she had years prior. "There, you're officially an Alicorn Princess."

"Yes! All hail the new Princess of Friendship!" Cozy Glow shouted. "I'll be so much better than Twilight!"

"Speaking of which, what should we do with her?" Tirek asked.

"Destroy her!" came the voice of the Fake Twilight, something that confused the real Twilight. "There can't be two Twilight Sparkles after all."

"Huh? Why is there another of me?" Twilight wondered.

"Oh that's a fake I created," Chrysalis said. "It's part of our plan."

"Yeah, we're going to make it seem like we made a deal with you," Tirek said. "That way the ponies still loyal to you will offer less resistance."

"Of course anypony that still resists will be done away with," Sombra said.

"Like anypony will believe that fake is me!" Twilight said.

"It fooled that tap dancing pony you like so much," Fake Twilight taunted.

The real Twilight looked furious, "Mind repeating that!?"

"That little tap dancing pony that you seem to like a lot, yeah he was totally fooled by my appearance," Fake Twilight said. "Gotta say, that colt, real good kisser."

"You tramp! When I get out of here I'm gonna," Twilight tried thinking of something Rainbow Dash would say. "I'm gonna thrash you!"

"Oh, I'm trembling at the thought," Fake Twilight taunted. "Alright, so about destroying her, should we do it now or later?"

"We could end it now," Sombra suggested. "That way she won't be trouble for us later."

"I'm down with that," Adagio said.

"The sooner the better, Chrysalis added.

Rumble started to become nervous, while he still wasn't the most loyal of Twilight's subjects, he couldn't allow her to get hurt, or worse. He quickly rushed to her side, "Wait hold on!"

"And now he's getting in our way," Storm King said. "Tell me again why we're keeping him alive."

"Because anyone who hurts him will have to answer to me!" Cozy Glow warned, then turned her attention to Rumble. "But seriously, why are you protecting her? You're suppose to me on my side."

"It's not that I'm protecting her it's just that...why end it now?" Rumble asked. "I mean you worked so hard to find her, and you have her at your mercy, why not let her live long enough to see everything she tried so hard to protect crumble before her?"

"Huh, that's actually a good idea," Tirek said.

"Yeah, so sinister," Storm King agreed.

"Aw, looks like I'm starting to rub off on you," Cozy Glow said. "We're gonna make a great pair of rulers together."

"Rumble, what are you doing!?" Sweetie Belle asked. "Why are you siding with them!?"

"I just think that she should be alive long enough to see her friends, you know, her friends that always come to her side when there's trouble?" Rumble asked, hoping Sweetie Belle would understand where he's going with this. "And see how they fair against this all powerful group of villains!"

Sweetie Belle was a bit confused, but slowly she began to realize that Rumble might just be helping in stalling for Twilight, knowing her friends could come to save her. "Well, I think it's terrible that you would do that, even if what you're doing is smart and clever."

Rumble could detect a hint of a smirk on Sweetie Belle's face, indicating to him that she understands his idea. "Well I am pretty awesome when it comes to ideas."

"Not as awesome as me," Storm King said. "Now about this girl..."

"Uh, lock them up to give them even more motivation for their sisters," Rumble said. "Twilight's safety is worrisome enough for them, but if they think that their sisters could be in danger it would make them so reckless, they might slip up and BAM, you got more ponies at your mercy."

"Hm, this alliance might be a good thing," Chrysalis said. "He knows our enemy's secrets."

"Yeah...but now I want to know," Storm King said, getting closer to Rumble. "What made you want to betray the ponies? Aren't they your friends?"

"Uh...about that," Rumble tried thinking of a reason, one that hopefully the villains would believe.

"It probably has to do with Cozy Glow getting turned to stone," Adagio said. "They were dating for a while."

"Yeah, something like that," Rumble said. "I felt bad for her, and Chrysalis, and Tirek, and even The Dazzlings, I mean Discord tricked them and got them turned into stone, and the Princesses were fine with that."

"I do recall you expressing sympathy for us," Chrysalis said. "So it was enough to make you want to turn against Equestria?"

"Yeah, why would I want to side with a crown that can do something that cruel?" Rumble asked. "Sounds a bit controlling if you ask me."

"Rumble is this about me not wanting to hear you out on freeing Cozy Glow!?" Twilight asked. "Does all this finally answer your question as to why I didn't want to free her!?"

"Well knowing that Discord tricked her, Chrysalis, Tirek and The Dazzlings and being ok with that really isn't much better Twilight!" Rumble said. "Thinking about it, he also tricked King Sombra too, bringing him back just to destroy him again."

"Hey, he's right!" Sombra shouted. "That accursed Discord, once I find him I shall tear his atoms apart!"

"Not by yourself you're not," Tirek said.

"I say turn Discord into stone!" Rumble said. "Again at least."

"Yeah! Let's turn him into stone! Let's turn all of Twilight's friends into stone!" Cozy Glow suggested. "Let them see what it's like!"

"It's decided," Grogar said. "They shall make for excellent statues to honor our amazing victory. Now take the Princess away."

"Let's go 'Your Highness'," Adagio said, grabbing Twilight her tail and dragging her off.

"Rumble, you're making a mistake siding with them!" Twilight shouted. "They'll just betray you!"

"We would never betray Rumble! He appreciates us!" Cozy Glow shouted.

"Rumble! It's not too late! Don't side with them!" Twilight called out one last time before being fully dragged away.

"Wow, such a desperate mare," Cozy Glow taunted. "Not that it matters, all we have to do now is wait for Twilight's petty friends, and then we'll get this show on the road!"

"You're not gonna fight are you?" Rumble asked. "I mean, I don't think you're in the right physical condition."

"Huh?" Cozy Glow wondered, then remembered her pregnancy. "Oh right, Golly I really didn't think of that. Shoot..."

"I say just stay to the sidelines, let the others do the dirty work," Rumble said. "A princess shouldn't have to do too much work."

"Yeah, good point," Cozy Glow said, flying inside. "I'll see you all later!"

"Hey um..."Storm King tried getting their attention. "What do we do with these brats?" The 'brats' he was referring to of course being the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

"Lock them up as well," Grogar said. "We'll decide their fate later, for now, Chrysalis, Storm King, send the mesage to the Elements, make sure the know we captured their Princess and a few of their friends."

"You got it," Storm King said.

"On it," Chrysalis said.

The two went to find their troops as Sombra made his way to the Cutie Mark Crusaders, "Come with me."

He used his magic to grab the three of them, Sweetie Belle actively trying to resist, "Hey! Put us down you jerk!"

"Silence yourself!" Sombra warned, walking off with the three girls.

"Don't worry King, I shall assist you," Rumble said, trotting over to Sombra.

"That won't be necessary," Sombra said. "I've got them under control."

"Yeah, bad enough I have to deal with Sombra, I don't even want to see you at the moment," Sweetie Belle said, doing a quick wink.

"Well, fine, but I will be checking on you later!" Rumble shouted, then returned back to the other villains. "So, what now?"

"We wait," Grogar said. "The rest of The Elements will be here shortly, and that's when we'll strike."

"Right, cool, but um what if their friends show up too?" Rumble asked. "Like, The Wonderbolts, or maybe Starlight Glimmer, or even The Pillars."

"I've defeated Starlight before, I can do it again," Chrysalis said.

"And I took down the Pillars, they were nothing against me," Tirek boasted, flexing his arm. "Starswirl has lost his edge in the last thousand years, unlike me. My only regret is not destroying him last time we met."

"Are you still bitter about him befriending your brother?" Grogar asked.

"Of course, he turned my family against me," Tirek said. "I could only imagine how my father felt after that, and my mother, poor woman."

"Funny, I was under the impression that you despised your father," Grogar said, getting a scowl from Tirek.

"Oh believe me, if I could I would show that fool the power I am truly capable of, then maybe after I'm done wreaking havoc on Equestria, I'll take to the Nether Lands and assert my rightful place on the throne there," Tirek said.

"Uh, if I may ask, Lord Tirek," Rumble said, getting the Centaur's attention. "I have a brother myself, and I know that even when brothers fight or disagree, it's important that they put their differences aside and remember that they're family, and they should look out for each other. So if you do return to where you came from, wouldn't it be better to make peace with your brother and not plot to destroy him or your family's Kingdom?"

"Wow, you're one naïve kid," Tirek said, getting a look of annoyance from Rumble. "Just because someone is family doesn't mean things always work out for the best between them. Maybe you'll understand better when you get older."

"But Tirek, is it really worth holding on to that resentment?" Rumble asked. "Wouldn't you be happier if you could reconnect with them on an emotional level?"

"Wow, you really are a softie," Tirek said. "If you're gonna be on our side, we're going to have to toughen you up a bit."

"Are you truly on our side?" Grogar asked, getting in close to Rumble. "Or is all this just a ruse?"

"I just want to help you all out the best way I can," Rumble said. "Like I said, I don't agree with what Twilight and the others did to Tirek here, same with Chrysalis, the Dazzlings and especially not Cozy Glow."

"You're awfully considerate for a young pony," Grogar said, leaning in close and towering over a now nervous Rumble. "That does not mean you have my trust, make one wrong move and I'll annihilate you on the spot!"

"Y-yes sir!" Rumble said, trembling at the sight of this monster.

"Good," Grogar turned to leave. "I have some business to attend to, Tirek you keep an eye on the boy."

"Wait, why am I foalsitting?" Tirek asked.

"Hey I'm not a foal!" Rumble said.

"You look like one to me," Tirek said. "Anyway tell me id, what's the deal with you and Cozy Glow? Is she still your mate?"

"Uh, sort of," Rumble said, bashfully rubbing his head. "I mean, I do like her a lot but...Well it's complicated."

"Why do you even like her anyway?" Tirek asked. "She's a bit nuts, sometimes she creeps even me out."

"She is a bit crazy but that's part of her charm, it's cute," Rumble said. "Plus she's not so bad, she's a really nice girl, though I guess you wouldn't care about nice."

"Yeah I wouldn't," Tirek said, taking a seat. "With work we'll fix that about you too."

Rumble shrugged that off, then moved on to another topic in his mind, "Hey, how exactly did you all get free?"

"Oh, that was Grogar's doing," Tirek said.


One month prior, the Statue of the six villains was still present in Canterlot Garden. However some dark magic started to slowly creep toward the statue, breaking it apart bit by bit. Within moments, the statue started to break apart and the villains were free.

Chrysalis was the first to react, having lunged forward, looking to attack somepony who wasn't there. The others were shaking off the petrification, not sure what had even just happened.

"Hey, what's going on?" Adagio asked, looking around.

Sonata looked at her hoof, trying to process the situation, "We're...free?"

"Seems that way," Chrysalis said, cracking some of her limbs.

"But how? Was it a temporary spell?" Sonata asked.

"Doubtful, the Princesses wouldn't be that careless," Chrysalis said.

"This was my doing," a somewhat familiar voice said. The villains turned to see a shadowy figure, one that looked familiar.

"Grogar?" Tirek asked, looking quite confused by this development. "Or are you just Discord pulling some other inept prank?"

"Do not compare me to that fool, to know that my face was used for that buffoon's tricks, it just infuriates me," Grogar said, stepping out of the shadows. This one did look a bit more intimidating.

"Wait, how can we be sure you're really Grogar?" Adagio asked.

Grogar answered by zapping at Adagio's hooves with lightning, frightening her for a second, "I will not go through trials to prove myself to you. Keep in mind that I am the one who has freed you, and I can easily turn you back to stone or worse. You six are at my mercy, so take my word for it or perish, your choice."

"Uh...huddle," Tirek said, the others quickly gathering around him. "Somehow I think this one's the real deal, he gives off a much more menacing vibe than the last one."

"Don't be so easily swayed, I still believe it is Discord," Chrysalis said.

"But why would he free us then?" Sonata asked.

"For the same reason he freed us last time, just to screw with us," Aria said. "I'm with Chrysalis, that might just be some trap for us."

"Seems kind of cruel if it was," Cozy Glow said. "That would make Twilight meaner than I thought, if she's behind this."

"Discord does not do things for logic, just for his own amusement," Chrysalis said. "I won't be a pawn in his little game."

"Let's just go along with it for now and see where it goes," Adagio said. "Might not have a choice anyway, we're powerless right now."

"Yeah, we can't even sing properly," Sonata said.

"And I'm helpless without the magic I got from Grogar's bell," Cozy Glow said. "So we'll join him for now and when he leasts expects it-"

"If you even think of betraying me, I will unleash a hell that only exists in your nightmares!" Grogar warned, having overheard most of the conversation. "I suggest you take the yellow Siren's advice, if you refuse I'll just absorb what little magic you all have left and completely wipe you out!"

"Of course, Grogar," Chryslais said, still mistrusting of him. "What do you desire?"

"Complete control of Equestria, I have plans involving all of you, but here is not a good place to discuss them, let us hurry," Grogar said, encouraging all the villains to follow after him.


Back with Tirek, he had just finished explaining all this to Rumble, "And that's how it got started. he then revived Sombra and the Storm King and within weeks, we started our attack in Canterlot."

Another flashback reveals the day of the Invasion. Tirek was the first to storm into Canterlot, absorbing magic from nearby ponies and using it to send a blast right at Canterlot Castle, destroying a tower.

Twilight quickly peeked her head out to see Tirek, a horde of Changelings right behind him, led by Chrysalis who had zapped many of the homes, the Changelings going after the ponies who tried escaping. The Sirens used their songs to mind control the ponies long enough to drain their negative energy and power themselves up enough to wreak havoc of their own.

"Oh no, this is terrible!" Twilight said.

"It is, isn't it?" She heard. She turned around and saw the Storm King, having been teleported there by King Sombra. "Gotcha!"

He immediately blasted her out of the castle, causing her to fall but fortunately she was quick to extend her wings stop her decent. "What's going on!?"

"We're taking over, that's what," Chrysalis said from the skies above. "Equestria is ours for the taking, your days as ruler are up!"

"But, how could you be here! You were turned to stone! The Storm King was dead!" Twilight shouted in disbelief.

"You couldn't keep us away forever Twilight Sparkle," Adagio said, making her way over with the Sirens. "We'll always find a way to come back, we'll always look for ways to defeat you."

Tirek towered over Twilight, looking down upon the pony Princess, "And we have."

The villains blasted down at Twilight, the mare teleporting away at the last second, getting a nice distance away. But from where she was, a good portion of Canterlot had been destroyed, and it was getting worse by the second. Not only were there evil Changelings, but the Storm King Soldiers have also invaded, the city of Canterlot once again in ruins.

She had to find help and fast, she couldn't do this alone. All she could do was go find help as the villains reigned supreme over Canterlot.

Back with Tirek the centaur once again finished up his tale, "And that's how we all got started with this invasion."

"So, I take it you're almost done?" Rumble asked.

"Basically, we just gotta defeat the Elements of Harmony, and maybe even the Pillars," Tirek said. "Scratch that, we're definitely going after them, at least I am. We might also need to subdue the six students that like hanging out together."

"What's gonna happen once you win?" Rumble asked. "What will everyone do?"

"Well, Chrysalis might rebuild her Changeling Empire, with a few ponies as prisoners so she can feed off their love," Tirek explained. "Sombra's probably going to reclaim the Crystal Empire at least, before going for the other Kingdom's like Canterlot. Though I think Storm King wants Canterlot as well, truth be told I'd like to rule over it myself. Hm, this might be a bit of a quadry."

"You really should talk this out with your friends," Rumble said.

"Friends? They are not my friends, they're my allies," Tirek said.

"Come on, you spend a lot of time with them, you work together, you have the same goals, don't you consider them friends?" Rumble asked.

"No," Tirek answered. "I don't need friends, if I can't even trust my own brother why should I bother trusting anyone else?"

"Uh...actually that's a good point," Tirek said.

"Of course it is," Tirek replied, standing up. "I'm going on lookout, you do whatever you want, as long as it's not anything treacherous."

"Dude, I'm one Pegasus surrounded by powerful villains, I'm not stupid enough to try anything 'treacherous'," Rumble said.

"Fair point, somehow I don't think you'd do anything to betray Cozy Glow anyway," Tirek said. starting to walk off. "Gotta say, that filly's been pretty lazy lately, she better start pulling her own weight or..."

As Tirek continued mumbling to himself, Rumble made his way into the fortress, hoping to find Sweetie Belle and the others. While inside, he ran into Adagio, the mare making her way outside.

"Oh it's you," Adagio said.

"Uh, hi Adagio," Rumble nervously greeted. He's had a slight fear of her ever since she broke his wings, so he's not too comfortable around her. "I'm just here to...explore and see what the place is like. If I'm going to be with Cozy Glow then I guess I should get used to things around here."

"Smart move, glad you're not trying to be a hero, like the first time I met you," Adagio said.

"Oh no way, I know when I'm outmatched," Rumble said.

"Good, now if you don't mind, not that I care if you do or not, I have some scouting to do," Adagio said.

"Uh, where are the other Sirens?" Rumble asked.

"Aria's already out keeping an eye on the area, Sonata's inside keeping tabs on our prisoners," Adagio said.

"Uh, alright," Rumble said. "Well, good luck with your invasion or whatever."

"Hey, if you really prove yourself worthy, maybe we can make your 'Knight' attitude a reality," Adagio said. "You can be out top fighter what do you say?"

"Uh, I'll think about it," Rumble said. "While I want to be with Cozy Glow, I don't really want to actively fight against Equestria."

"Suit yourself, but if you change your mind, which hopefully you will, come to me and we'll consider our options," Adagio said, about to leave.

"Hey wait, one more thing?" Rumble said, getting her attention. "You care about your friends, don't you?"

"Yeah, why?" Adagio asked.

"Don't you worry about how they feel about all this?" Rumble asked. "Sonata seems pretty gentle, I can't imagine she likes fighting."

"You're right, she doesn't like it," Adagio said. "But, she knows she has to, because it's either be strong or be weak, and Sonata refuses to be weak. She was betrayed by Equestria, she tried being their friend and they betrayed her."

"I just...I don't want her to turn into stone again, I've seen your statues a lot and the look of disappointment on her face really tugged at my heart, almost as much as Cozy's look of fear," Rumble said. "I just don't think it's worth it."

"Rumble, we'll be fine," Adagio said. "I get that you probably like her and maybe you thought we could have all been friends, but Equestria isn't as harmonious as the old Princesses wanted everypony to think. We know the truth, that's why we're branded as 'villains', but in a way, we're the heroes who will liberate the world from this fallacy."

Rumble sighed in disappointment, there was just no reasoning with these villains, and he was running low on time. He just hoped he could figure something out before it was too late. "Just be careful, and take good care of each other."

Adagio smirked at that statement, "Funny, many years ago I broke your wings, now here you are worried about me. How soft can one pony be?" Adagio turned to the exit, "Well, some things can't be helped. I can't say that I'm sorry for breaking your wings, but I did admire your determination. Maybe one day we can reach the point of apology, if you continue to earn my respect."

"Maybe we can try being friends?" Rumble asked.

"I'll think about it," Adagio said, finally making her way outside.

Rumble seemed very relieved, maybe he can reach the villains, some of them at least. He will need help, he just needs to make sure that Twilight and The Crusaders know as well, and hopefully get through to Cozy Glow.

But time was running out, for the final showdown was set to begin. Starting with the arrival of the young Alicorn Princess, Flurry Heart. Just above the marshlands near the headquarters, she scanned the area, keeping note of where the enemies were.

"Just you wait you baddies, I'm coming after you, and so are all my friends," Flurry Heart flew in, ready to commence a battle of her own.