• Published 2nd Feb 2020
  • 734 Views, 72 Comments

The Night Janitor - Knox Locke



Knox, the janitor at the School of Friendship, must deal with the emotional aftermath of a traumatic experience involving the events of "School Raze." Will he be able to turn his life back around with the help of some new friends?

  • ...
1
 72
 734

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: Necessary Risk

Cozy had a plan. One that would get her exactly what she'd always wanted. To make it work, though, she'd have to take some risks.

[Cozy's Perspective]

Cozy had just gone to bed, and she was pondering ways to further her plan when her thoughts were interrupted by Knox.

"Did you remember to take out your hairpins?" he asked.

A couple weeks ago, Cozy had accidentally left in the pins that held her adorable mane curls together. One of them had gotten stuck on her pillowcase, binding it to her thick locks. It took quite a while and a lot of painful pulling to remove the pillowcase from her head, and Knox had been reminding her every night ever since. She wasn't sure why he was asking tonight, though. Her mane lay straight on her head. Not a single curl remained. Obviously she'd removed the pins.

Nonetheless, she gestured halfheartedly to the neat stack of hairpins that lay on the table beside her bed, and she proceeded to fall asleep.


A couple hours later, Cozy bolted awake with a scream. She was breathing heavily and trembling under her covers. Her eyes were held firmly shut, but they jerked open when she felt something touch her shoulder.

"Cozy, are you OK?" Knox was now beside the bed, comfortingly stroking her shoulder. "What's wrong?"

Cozy replied quickly, "Nothing!"

"Cozy..." Knox was obviously prying for the truth.

Well, this was one of the risks she had to take. If she was going to keep her master plan on track, she had to open up to Knox.

She sighed heavily before she spoke again.

"I had a nightmare," she said softly. "I've been having it every night."

"I know what that's like," Knox said. "Trust me."

"In the nightmare, I'm turned to stone, but when they release me, you aren't there. Neither is Twilight. All that is there is some scary shadow-thingy. It tells me to do such horrible things. Then, when I refuse, it jumps inside me and starts controlling me like a puppet. That's when I always wake up."

"Hmmm..." Knox seemed to be contemplating something.

"You know, Cozy," he finally continued, "you shouldn't let nightmares rattle you like that."

"I know, I know... They're not real."

"That's not it at all," continued Knox.

Cozy perked her head up a bit. She hadn't expected more in the ways of an explanation.

"You shouldn't be afraid of nightmares," Knox resumed, "because nightmares should be scared of you! I mean, you're Cozy Glow! You almost took over Equestria... Twice!"

Cozy giggled at that last part. She enjoyed the way Knox just accepted what she'd done. He didn't act like it had never happened. In fact, he embraced it.

"Any monster foolish enough to show his face in your nightmares has no idea what he's in for."

Cozy smiled in a half-elated, half-maniacal way that she hadn't previously known was possible.

"Thanks, Knox," she said.

"Any time, kid. Any time."

She gave him one of her cannonball-like hugs, and she had a bright smile on her face as he left the room. There was only one thing Cozy had ever wanted more than power, and that conversation had just gotten her one step closer to it.

Author's Note:

In The Next Chapter: Actually, it should say 'In The Next THREE Chapters,' because I've written a three-part Hearts & Hooves Day special that I'll be posting on Valentine's Day!

PreviousChapters Next