• Published 4th Jan 2020
  • 2,475 Views, 246 Comments

On a Sea of Glass.... And Ponies - JustAnotherHistoryBuff



What happens if when the Titanic sank, everyone on it simply woke up and thought it was all a bad dream.... Well up until two days later they showed up in Manehattan

  • ...
2
 246
 2,475

Approach to Manehattan

April 16th, 1912

10 miles East of Manehattan

Fleet Admiral Iron Hoof looked around at his flotilla from his flagship's bridge. Though comprised of about 2 cruisers and 4 destroyers, it was still a force to be reckoned with. His flagship, ENS Baltimare was a recent edition to the fleet. The cruiser was one of the newest in the fleet, armed with 8x 152 mm guns each in their own single barrel turret. The ship itself could reach a speed of nearly 25 knots and was quite well armored for a cruiser. Along with his flagship was the light cruiser Manehattan and the 4 accompanying destroyers Stallion, Iron Gail, Sea Striker, and Bombastic. The small flotilla had just recently left port and was sailing through the North Equestrian Sea in search of a ship. From what the Admiral and his officers could tell from the impression sent by Celestia, the ship could not had been a warship as it possessed no weaponry and hardly any armor. However, it was quiet large and was said to contain bipedal creatures. The main way they would identify the ship would be through the super structure. The impression showed that the ship contained about 4 smoke stacks as well as two sailess masts. It was truly a behemoth.

When the flotilla left Manehattan, the seas were relatively calm yet once they were nearly 10 miles off the coast, a large gail came through and the seas became rough, forcing the ships to slow down in order to maintain stability. Sipping a cup of tea in his cabin, the rough seas began to churn heavier and the cruiser began to rock even worse. The weather had gotten so bad that even high altitude pegasus scouts had to be called back below as there was nothing to spot. As the admiral it, it was almost as if the endeavor would never end.

*** *** ***

The morning had passed through uneventfully as the pride of the White Star fleet kept a steady speed towards New York. Even though everything seemed to be back to normal from the day before, that was far from the case. The ship by now had been subject to an ominous quiet. The normal joyous conversations held in the lounges were kept to a minimum while in the lower classes, interactions nearly became restricted to only family interactions. The orchestra, as per ordered by Captain Smith, tried to liven up the mood by playing some cheery music like rag but to no avail. The mood remained unchanged. The only large amount of human interaction ever present was in the boiler rooms, the Purser's Office where many passengers demanded to receive they belongings, and in the wireless room, where the two wireless operators were busy cursing their telegraph set while attempting to make contact with Cape Race or any other vessel in Titanic's vicinity. To make things more grim, a large storm had formed and the ship sailed straight through it.

Standing on the bridge of the ship, First Officer William Murdoch stood anxious in the enclosed bridge. He was having to grip the helmsman's shoulder just to keep balance on the bridge as the helmsman himself struggled to keep hold of the wheel as the ship sloshed through the waves. While thinking of his problems, he remembered that the lookouts were still in the Crow's Nest. "Those poor sods freezing their bums off in this weather. At least we got the binoculars." He thought. Just a few hours earlier, him and one of the lookouts, Frederick Fleet, had to break into one of the lockers just to get the binoculars out after they could not find the key.

Whilst still focusing on the sea ahead, Murdoch failed to notice Lightoller stumble his way into the bridge.

"Hey, Murdoch, new orders?"

"Yes?"

"Wilde wants you on Ismay duty. Seems like we are alternating."

"Alright, I'm guessing your taking over for me."

"Aye."

"Alright, tell Wilde I am leaving now... Also, how is he doing?"

"He looks worse than yesterday. At this point he won't even accept solid food. I would've gotten O'Loughlin but he is trying to make sure that Andrews doesn't collapse and forget to eat."

"Alright, I'll keep you posted, see you soon."

Captain Smith had ordered that Ismay be put on watch/guard the day before. It was clear that Ismay was a nervous wreck, especially from the day before. Murdoch felt bad for the man, he probably thought himself to be a coward but Murdoch himself witnessed Ismay put people into the boats and help with the evacuation. Andrews the same thing. But while Ismay wallowed in depression, Andrews poured his guilt into his work. From what O'Loughlin told him, Andrews would just stare at his designs and make adjustments and all around his cabin was a complete mess. The man was known to be a dedicated worker, but he pushed himself sometimes. And now, it seems like he had gone to the limit and the normally rational man simply forgets to eat.

Making his way to the port side Parlor Suite (in which Ismay was staying in), Murdoch opened the door to find Ismay sitting in the private promenade with a large glass of brandy sloshing around in his hands. Even though the ship was heeling heavily in the storm with each wave, Ismay still managed to keep the glass steady as he took a drink.

Taking a closer look at the man, Murdoch noticed Ismay looked worse than the day before. His hair and mustache was unkempt while he sat in his pijamas. From the look of his bloodshot eyes, it was obvious Ismay got little sleep or none at all the previous night before. Before Murdoch made his way over, Ismay called over to him.

"Murdoch, I know you are there... watching me. Why don't you come sit and we can talk. No offense to Lightoller, but I don't find him to be the best of company, for all the jokes that man may pull."

Stunned by the break from silence, Murdoch slowly obeyed his employer's wishes and sat down. "Tread carefully William, you do not know what Ismay might pull in this state." He thought as he took a seat. It was a few minutes of silence (if one was to count out the waves crashing over the well deck and sea spray splashing the promenade) before Ismay began to pour another drink for Murdoch.

"Mr. Ismay, I am still on duty. I cannot possibly have a drink now."

Ismay looked over and for the first time, slightly grinned at the comment.

"You know that I am your head employer Murdoch. Therefore, consider this a part of the job."

Grumbling in his thoughts, Murdoch grudgingly accepted his employer's drink and as he did, Ismay's expression turned back to it's original, guilty form. For what seemed like hours, the two sat there taking small sips as the sea churned right in front of them. If the promenade had not been enclosed by steel and glass window panes, both men would have been utterly soaked. Out of the blue, Ismay asked Murdoch a question.

"Mr Murdoch, I have a question. And when you answer, I don't want it widdled down, I want the truth."

Staring at him for a second, Murdoch glanced back down at his half full glass and said "Ask away Mr Ismay."

"Mr Murdoch, am I a coward?"

The question shocked Murdoch as he did not expect to be asked to say his opinion about his own employer's Honor.

"What do you mean by th...."

"Murdoch, you are too smart to ask me "what do I mean." You know very well what I mean. Collapsible C." Ismay's tone had changed drastically from his tired dimeanor to his now serious tone.

"Are you talking about..."

"Don't play dumb with me Murdoch. I told you not to widdle it down or stall. Yes, I mean 2 nights ago. Now, again... Am I a coward."

"Mr Ismay, I will be as honest as you ask me to be. You were rash and your demeanor that night was something of a bipolar mix of panic, disbelief, and urgency. You did put people into the boats. I saw you put that women in the boat even when she said she was heading back towards her cabin. You saved lives... So why do you see yourself as a coward?"

"You know as well as I do that I left in that boat. I do not know why I did, but no one else was around and I was all that was left.... I see myself as a coward for that."

"Do you even think it was all real though? You and I are still here, sharing a glass of Brandy."

"Don't play fool with me. You and I both know who did and who did not make it off."

The response shut Murdoch up... His mind drifting back to the night. As quickly as his mind drifted, he pulled himself back into what he perceived as reality, not wanting to remember his own actions that night.

"I see that it has caught up to you now Murdoch. Now... could you please answer my question."

Thinking for a moment, Murdoch finally, but slowly, gave his answer.

"As I had said before, you were rash and worried Mr Ismay, but you still helped in the evacuation, even if it was not your job. You yourself could had just wallowed in your stateroom or played cards in the lounge like other men, but you did not. You stood there that night... Not even in formal dress... But your nightmare and an overcoat, and you helped put men, women, and children into the boats. If you think that you were a coward for getting into that last boat, then you must be mad Sir. Other people may have their opinions, but there were only few to witness it. And I was one to witness it and I must say, you are no coward. If anything, you are a hero in a sense, even if it was not even real. Do not work yourself up over it at all, hold your head up with pride and remember those that you put into the boats. Remember that you... The highest official on the ship, still did his duty as a gentlemen. Remember that."

Ismay took a while to process the answer, but when he finally did... his expression turned to that of relief and happiness as if he had finally made peace with himself. Finally, he said "Thank you for that Mr Murdoch. If you are able to do so, please... Let us toast to our duties."

"I will toast to that any day as long as I am at peace with what I did Sir."

With that, the two men toasted and as if suddenly afflicted by a surge of energy, Ismay got up from his chair and made his way to his dresser and called out to Murdoch "Mr Murdoch, you are dismissed. Tell the good Captain that he has no need to worry for my safety and if anything, make sure that the ever wonderful Mr Andrews accidentally does not starve himself through all his work. If you are ever free tonight, I would like to invite you to dine with me. Until then, I hope to see you then."

After a few more minutes, Murdoch left the room surprised. He had just witnessed, and helped, a man on the verge of suicide take a complete 180 and become mentally stable. In a sense, he felt like he had relieved some baggage off his own chest as well. For a moment, it was as if the entire atmosphere of the ship had improved.

*** *** ***

For the first time in over a decade, Iron Hoof was sea sick. It had been over a decade since he had experienced a large storm like this at sea. In that time, it was if his body grew accustomed to calm seas. What he did next was something he hoped to not have to do ever again, retire to his quarters early.

In the wireless room, the two telegraph operators Crimson Sea and Silver Wire were hard at work juggling messages between the ships of the flotilla and trying to stay put in the rough seas. It was so bad that the Mareconi machine nearly toppled over. The two Stallions were nearly done with a message from the Iron Gail when suddenly as if it were right on top of them, the Mareconi machine began to sing out the dots and dashes in Moosecode. Taken aback by the sudden interruption, they both began to listen in on the headset and write down the message.

"Cape Race, this is MGY, please respond. Again, Cape Race, this is MGY, please respond."

The message was odd as there was no such thing as a Cape Race, let alone a ship identified with the letters MGY. The message played back a third time until a new message came up.

"Any ships in area, MGY in heavy storms, requesting contact."

Now they were being hailed by the mystery ship. Immediately, Silver Wire took the written messages and attempting to run towards the bridge. Nearly thrown up against the bulkhead, he finally made it up to the seasickened bridge. Every pony at their station looked like they were about to puke. Suddenly, a voice came from behind him.

"Seaman Silver Wire, I did not expect you to be here. Has an important message come through?" Turning around, he saw the Captain of the Baltimare, Samuel Hoof, staring at him with tired eyes.

"Aye Captain... but I think the admiral might want to see it Sir."

"Well.. if it is that important, say it out now... its not like there are any spies on board. This isn't Saddle Arabia you know."

"Aye, sorry Captain. Well, while me and Crimson Sea were writing down a message from the Iron Gail, the Mareconi machine went crazy as we just got hold of a new ship. I think it may be near us as the signal was quite strong Sir."

"Spare me the details Seaman, what was the message."

"Well, alright here it is. "Cape Race, this is MGY, please respond. Again, Cape Race, this is MGY, please respond." The second message was "Any ships in area, MGY in heavy storms, requesting contact." Sir, we might be getting hailed by this ship."

"Do you know what Cape Race or MGY is Seaman?"

"Cape Race, no Captain. But MGY, it sounds like a ship identification."

"Alright, I will deliver the message to the Admiral, but I want you to get one of the unicorn trackers to put a tracking spell on that signal."

"Aye Captain."

With that, Silver Wire made his way back to the telegraph room to find Crimson Sea scribbling something down.

"Silver, we got a name from the ship."

"Well, what is it?"

"Its called the Titanic."

*** *** ***

4 Hours Later

As if some by some act by Celestia herself, the storm had died down and once again, calm seas reigned under the night sky. The North Equestrian Sea Flotilla had found it's target. From the bridge of the Baltimare, Iron Hoof was stunned by the sight he saw. Though it was as dark as midnight, through his spyglass he could see a large well lit figure sailing through the night. Though it was hard to identify it by comparing it to the drawing, no other ship in the entirety of Equis was as large as what he was seeing before his eyes. The telegraph operators on all ships were monitoring the ship's messages and so far, everything was the same. The Titanic, as she was apparently called, kept trying to make contact with some sort of "Cape Race", probably some ship, and was trying to see if any ships were in the area. Her messages were being received but none were replied to. Strict silence was to be kept. All ship lights were dimmed and distance kept only at spotting distance. When morning came, the Flotilla would fall back further so that they would not be spotted and they would rely on the telegraph tracking spell. However, he knew that he would need proper identification so he motioned for his Captain to come forward and speak with him.

"Captain, get me a recon pegasus, the best we have. I need them to photograph that ship."

"Aye, right away Admiral."

With that, it took only a few minutes and the pegasus was off, flying as fast as it could towards the Titanic.

*** *** ***

Of all the times he had dinner on ships, tonight's dinner was by far Murdoch's weirdest dinner yet. Captain Smith had Murdoch accept Ismay's request in order to keep an eye on the man. Murdoch knew Smith's intentions were well as they both knew, no one could recover from a tragedy that fast, they both knew that. For a second, Murdoch thought he was truly in the afterlife as he himself had made peace with himself that stormy afternoon. Walking down the grand staircase towards D-Deck, the seas were much calmer and the only person to loose his footing was actually John Jacob Astor. Naturally Murdoch went over to help the richest man on the ship up but was shunned away by the man. Picking up the pace, he went down to the dining room to see that the attitude among the passengers had slightly lightened. The band was playing quite a nice tune in the reception room and even if the passengers present were all well off financially, they still seemed oddly grateful and joyous.

Making his way through the tables and servers carrying the finest foods on the sea, Murdoch found his way to Ismay's table. Seated there was Ismay, Benjamin Guggenheim and his Mistress, the Allison family (minus the children), and most surprisingly, Thomas Andrews. When Ismay caught eye of Murdoch, he motioned for him to come.

"Ah, First Officer Murdoch, please... come join us here. We have been waiting for you."

"How kind of you to wait for me."

"Well, I could not start the festivities without my prized guest, no offense Andrews."

"None taken Mr Ismay." Andrews said. His voice sounded like it's usual cheerfulness but there was something that did not seem right. Almost as if Andrews was holding something back behind the curtain.

Taking his seat, Murdoch and the rest of the people at the table began to converse on the rather dull topics of the shipping industry. After a while (and a few drinks and half of the 7 course meal on the nights menu), stories from the past began to be told. For a moment, Andrews had taken the lead while he was talking about his time as a regular Harland and Wolff apprentice until Murdoch told a story of one of Lightoller's shenanigans. Apparently a few times one of the White Star Ships, while there was a storm and the ships was rolling side to side, Lightoller would take it upon himself to turn it into a game by attempting to slide from one end of the bridge to the other without stopping. That kept happening until the Captain caught wind of it and put it to the end. Such was the life of Charles Lightoller. One could see him as stern yet he had a very bountiful joking side to him. When Lady Allison asked if there was any more stories about Lightoller, Murdoch drifted away from the subject to avoid embarrassing his colleague any further. Lightoller had done much worse things anyway.

The night went quite well and Murdoch was happy to report to Smith of Ismay's mental health. Feeling accomplished, Murdoch took his leave and went to bed before his shift at the helm began.

*** *** ***

April 17th

Titanic was being followed, Smith knew it. The previous night, odd flashes occurred during the night above and around the ship. For a moment, Smith expected an American aircraft taking pictures throughout the night, but that theory was ludicrous in it self. No pilot would be dumb enough to cut his engines every time he came close to the ship just to snap a picture. Let alone, an airplane was still loud enough and could not be drowned out by the sound of the ship sailing and funnels pluming with smoke. It was not that loud after all. He made his way to the bridge and ordered the helm to increase to full steam ahead. He knew the risk of ice was still about, but he was not going to have his ship be caught dead in the water.

*** *** ***

"Admiral, the ship is beginning to speed up. Her signal is starting to get faint!" One officer called.

"What is their projected heading Ensign?"

"They should reach Manehattan by about midday Sir!"

It was now or never. The ship had spotted them somehow, and now it was making a break for it. Who knew what that ship could be carrying? From the pictures he saw, it was truly massive. Silently, Iron Hoof thought an invasion force was being carried on that ship. But then again, the pictures, though dark, showed that there were deck chairs near the floodlights of the Titanic's smoke stacks. The flag being flown on the rear was not one he had seen before. But he would not take the risk.

"Helmsman, full steam ahead now. Lieutenant, inform the operators that it is time to make contact with this "Titanic". We may have a problem on our hooves."

The race has started. The Flotilla was steaming to intercept or pass the unknown ship Titanic. If they failed, they could possibly doom Manehattan, let alone all of Equestria.

Author's Note:

Alright, took a bit but got it done. This chapter went through a few revisions and I am satisfied to say that it is publishable now. I do however feel it is somewhat sub-par and the feedback would be very great to help me out.

Now, the story of Lightoller sliding across the deck was true. I got it from the book "On a Sea of Glass" (would recommend!) And yes, Lightoller did worse as well.... if you want to read up on that, here is the link.

Link: https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/community/threads/lightoller-and-his-pranks.18985/

Anyways, I will respond to all comments. I can assure you all that. In the mean time, my efforts are now going to be put on my other story... I got some planning to do with how Rommel wakes up after his accident in the latest chapter.