• Published 3rd Jan 2020
  • 7,895 Views, 115 Comments

Light and Dark - MXCDarkHorse2020



Twilight Sparkle is gone after tragedy has befallen, in her absence a new unicorn comes to town but is secretly up to no good as she has a hidden agenda and a mysterious motive up her hoofs.

  • ...
16
 115
 7,895

Chapter 23: A Leap of Faith

Chapter 23:

Leap of Faith

Recently, Midnight has been keeping busy with her royal duties as princess where she was recently assigned to watch over the Rainbow Falls Traders Exchange where she has to oversee the proceedings, making sure that every trade is fair, and that both ponies get what they want as throughout the event, she witnessed the Mane Five and Spike were getting involved seeking to trade something of interest. Spike was trying to see if he trade his mint condition Power Ponies comic book for another and was the only one who didn’t have any problems obtaining what he wanted unlike the Mane Five who have ran into a string of problems of their own while there.

Applejack and Rarity both tried to seek out rare and vintage items and have decided to pool together their trade stashes to do so. Unfortunately for them that proved to be problematic as the items they wanted would cost them their trade stash combined causing rising tensions between the two. But they were able to work it out by settling for a jeweled barrette and a pie tin they could both get with their stash.

The biggest debacle at the fair was Rainbow Dash trying to obtain a first edition copy of Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Statue which turned into a massive chain of events requiring her to obtain it which boiled down to the trader only willing to exchange the book in exchange for an orthros and Fluttershy’s services in taming him.

As much as Midnight wanted to agree the trade is fair for the sake of taking care of Fluttershy on the spot, she couldn’t because she would come across as a princess who doesn’t care her subjects at all which is something that Midnight couldn’t afford as she plans on sticking true to her word that when she takes over ponies will revere and adore her moreso than Princess Celestia could ever hope to achieve.

In the end Rainbow Dash settled to trade away the orthros she obtained from the chain of deals for a bird call whistle which is something Fluttershy had always wanted while Midnight secretly managed to obtain Fluttershy’s bear call whistle which she accidentally dropped during the chaos to which she decided to hang out to it even though she has no use for it.

She also has created "Midnight Time." specifically designed for the Cutie Mark Crusaders to improve their skills and talents which could secretly mean as potential for her to use someday when she takes over Equestria when they get older. Throughout the sessions they have all spent together the three fillies have all shown great improvement in their skills with Apple Bloom now being capable of creating giant and beautiful flowers with her potion creations which was something that Midnight herself was impressed by, Sweetie Belle's magic improved to the point she can levitate objects such as a broom with ease, and Scootaloo is now capable of taking apart and rebuilding her own scooter with no problem at all.

Midnight personally saw herself as a great teacher during Midnight Time and wonders what else she can teach everypony else once she takes over Equestria as she makes her way back to her library in Ponyville, and then saw that her orb was lighting up the rainbow color again signaling to her the next key is nearby which is located at a state fair outside of Ponyville right nearby the Apple Family who are out for a day of swimming to which Midnight had her orb focus on them more.

While Applejack, Big Macintosh, and Apple Bloom are having a great time, Granny Smith isn’t because of her very old age and very achy body even having trouble standing straight in a very small puddle. Back when she was young, she was a well-known swimmer, Aqua-pony all-star and high diver capable of diving from a six-story height into water who nearly broke the Equestria high diving record making her the only Apple family pony to ever accomplish that in family history.

Midnight while acknowledging that age catches up to everyone, she is personally impressed with her past achievements given her age at the time as she shifts her focus on the Apple family to the fair, where she sees Flim and Flam a couple of con-artists that nearly took over the Apple Family business walking around trying to think of another get rich quick scheme that involves conning ponies out of their money. Seeing this causes Midnight to begin thinking of another plan to work this all out in her favor as she gets some apples and beet leaves from her fridge and begins mixing it together.

Once she has created her mixture, she immediately teleports her way to the fair after putting on her cloak to ensure no pony would recognize her. She then looks around and once she spots Flim and Flim who are both talking to another pony Silver Shill for help for their next scheme she approaches them.

“Good afternoon, gentlemen.” Midnight greeted the two unicorns who look intrigued at her mysterious appearance.

“Hello, there can I help you with something?” Flim asked the mysterious unicorn unsure of what to make of her.

“Actually, I here to offer you something that will make you rich.” Midnight proposed.

“Hmm.” Flam said with intrigued interest as he shares a look with Flim who silently agrees to listen to what she has to offer them. “We’re listening.”

“What I have here is something that would help with ponies who have aging problems and can heal ponies in an instant.” Midnight explained as she presented a bottle of green liquid from the combined apple and beet juice.

“Oh, come on you really think we would fall for that?” Flim arrogantly dismissed the idea.

“No, but I’m sure with your charm and the right about of charisma you throw into advertising it you’ll be able to make a fortune off of this product.” Midnight further explained as she expected the two not to be fooled by the fake tonic.

“That is true.” Flam acknowledged as he looked at Flim. “We do have the sales pony charm to win the crowd.”

“Exactly.” Midnight added as she held up the bottle. “And for a handsome investment the recipe to this tonic can all be yours.” She told him as she walked around the three ponies.

“Does my offer sound worthwhile for you.” Midnight asked the con ponies as she leans her head close to them.

After giving little thought Flam hands her a big bag of bits as he and Flim both speak “Deal!” at the same time.

“Excellent!” Midnight answered pleased to see she has the Flim Flam brothers on board with her plan as she hands them the bottle and a piece of paper which contains the tonic’s recipe.

“With this tonic we’ll be rich!” Flim exclaimed eager to pull this scam off with his brother.

“Yes you will boys!” Midnight assured them with an evil grin. “And don’t worry about giving me credit for this idea.” She added.

“Oh, don’t worry, we were never planning to give you the credit for that now that you have handed us your million bit just like that.” Flam smugly commented as he and Flim laughed as they walked off with Silver Shoal silently walking behind for a bit.

“Sucker!” Flim smugly added in Midnight’s direction as they walked off.

“I figured you both would say that.” Midnight shrugging their smug attitude off with a smirk as her heart glows again briefly before teleporting back to her library so she can watch her plan unfold from her orb.


Once she pulls out a nice book to read as she watches Flim and Flam’s show attracting a nearby crowd of ponies including the Apple Family with Granny Smith and Apple Bloom both leading the family in the direction of the tent where Flim and Flam are hosting their latest product unveiling with Applejack and Big Mac reluctant of the idea while unaware at the moment of what is really going on there.

Once everypony was inside, the lights went out as the two brothers began their show. With a crank on the machine causing it toot steam from the top pipe. A banner of the two appears in front of the cart as they begin their presentation.

“Thank you, one and all, for your attendance, and we guarantee that your time here will not be spent in vain!” Flim voice spoke with his and Flam’s shadow appearing in the silhouette

“In fact, we think it will prove to be the most valuable time you've ever spent!” Flam added as they revealed themselves to the audience causing Applejack and Big Macintosh to narrow their eyes in anger at them knowing that they are up to no good.

“Welcome, one and all, to the demonstration of a lifetime!” Flim started.

“A demonstration of a better life!” Flam repeated.

“A demonstration of a better time!” Flim continued on the announcement. “And if we haven't captured your interest just yet, by the time we've finished, an unfortunate phenomenon practically guarantees that we will!”

“A phenomenon? What's that?” Flam questioned.

“It's a circumstance perceptible by the senses, but in this case, it's the simple fact that…” Flim started to explain as he started to sing.

“There's ailments all around us in everything we touch and see.”

Flim sang as pointed to a photo of germs with angry and disgusting looking faces on them.

“A sickness that lies waiting there in every breath you breathe.”

Flim sang as places his hooves around his neck as they show a photo showing germs spitting out of a random pony’s esophagus.

“Disease will up and grab you as it crawls from land and sea.”

Flim sang as he grabbed onto Flam and showing a photo of germs riding on a boat in the middle of the sea.

“It's amazing how infected that the natural world and all its things can be.”

Flam sang as he addressed the crowd.

“Now I understand that some of you don't think you're sick.” Flim spoke as he addressed the crowd.

“But twisted hooves and aching joints don't heal all that quick.” Flam added as held up a pony’s sprain hoof and an old peagsus’s wings.

“Consider just how dangerous this world is! You might...” Flim added as he pointed a hoof towards the crowd.

“Slip and fall, break or sprain something here tonight.” Flim sang again as he pushes a few ponies down onto the ground and caused an old earth pony to lose his balance yet is caught by Flim causing the pony to be grateful at him saving him from injuring himself.

Flim and Flam then run back up to the stage to continue their song together.

“But luckily for you, we've got the thing you need

And it's easier when all you need's the cure

The Flim Flam Miracle Curative Tonic

Is just what the doctor ordered, I'm sure.”

“Now I know our claims seem fantastical.” Flim spoke to the crowd.

“Impractical.” Flam described and exaggerated.

“Improbable.” Flim really exaggerated.

“Impossible.” Flam now is beyond the impossible exaggerating causing Midnight to roll her eyes while thinking in her head that it’s because it really is impossible since she sold them the idea in the first place.

“And magical!” Flim and Flam said in unison.

“So we welcome every suffering pony to make their way up to the stage.” Flim encouragingly addressed the crowd again.

“Now don't crowd.” Flam requested the eager ponies lined up in the very front of the stage.

“And we'll prove our tonic's effectiveness before your very eyes.” Flim added.

“You there! Come up here, good sir.” Flam pointed out to Silver Shill who is on crutches as part of the act.

“I'll wager you're tired of those crutches, my friend.” Flim told him as he walked up onto the stage.

“Try taking a sip of this!” Flam encouragingly offered him the bottle of tonic who immediately drinks down the whole bottle as ponies watch to see what happens next.

In just a few seconds, Silver Shill gets up on his hooves and ditches the crutches now being able to walk on his own causing every pony to gasp in amazement while Midnight watching this continues watching unimpressed since she created that fake tonic as Flim and Flam break into song for the third time.

“That's why you're so lucky we've got the thing for you

Just come on up, we've always got some more

Of the Flim Flam Miracle Curative Tonic.”

Flim and Flam sang as they got Silver Shill to join in on the dance as he picks up his crutch then presented a massive display showing many bottles of their product.

“I won't need these crutches to dance out the door.” Silver Shill sang as he tossed away his crutch and then trotted out of the tent.

Placing her eye on the Apple Family she sees that Granny Smith is very intrigued at what the two brothers have come up with Apple Bloom agreeing while Applejack rightfully suspects this is another scam yet can’t place a hoof exactly on what it is.

“Now some of you may suffer from feelings of despair

You're old, you're tired, your legs won't work, there's graying in your hair.”

Flim sang as he wore a bonnet on his head and addressed an old pony with a golfing cutie mark on a cane.

“Just listen and I'll tell you that you don't need to fear

Your ears will work, your muscles tone, your eyes will see so clear.”

Flam sang as joined at stand by the elderly pony pulled his eyelids up causing him to smile at the encouraging gesture.

“Luckily for us, you've got the thing we need

The answer to our problems in a jar

The Flim Flam Miracle Curative Tonic

Is the greatest ever miracle by far!”

The crowd now joining in the song sang as Flim and Flam proudly walked back up to the stage.

“It cures the reins, the spurs, and the Clydesdale fur blight.” Flim advertised the product as he shows an image of ill horse.

“Hooferia and horsentery cured in just a night.” Flam added as he showed an image of a pony with a chess piece cutie mark with small legs and a pony with a bone cutie mark with long skinny legs and a long neck with a matching stomach.

“You've got swollen hooves and hindquarters or terrible bridle-bit cleft.” Flim observed a pony on the stage with red swollen hooves, a pony with a swollen rear end with a boot for a cutie mark and a pony with brittle teeth.

“Saunter sitz and gallop plop will give your tail some heft.” Flam addressed ponies, one with a cherry cutie mark with shorter rear legs, another with an island cutie mark with short front legs, and one with a mouse cutie mark and a hairless tail.”

“Mane loss, hay fever, or terrible tonsillitis.” Flim continues as he looked at a pony without a mane, a pony with a thermometer in her mouth and an ice bag on her head looking literally green, and a pony with a blue tongue and throat.

“You heard it here, folks -- this is the only place in all of Equestria you'll find it!” Flam again addressing every pony who are humming to the musical tone as the two make it back on stage as the two prepare to sing more verses of their song.

“It can make you shorter, taller, or even grow old.”

Flim sang as he presented various images of ponies tall and short, old and young.

“But who'd want that?” Flam asked everypony.

“When with one drink”

Flim added onto Flam’s question as they sing in unison.

“You can be young again– “

“SOLD!” Granny Smith called out to the Flim Flam brothers as she interrupted their song as she holds up three bits.

“Congratulations, Granny Smith! You just made the purchase of a lifetime!” Flim told her as he levitated a bottle of tonic to her as he got ahold of her bits greatly worrying Applejack and Big Mac as they know this is going to end badly.

Midnight on the other hoof watching this smiles as she says to herself. “Oh, I think things will turn out well for you, Applejack.” Midnight said in a reassuring tone. “As long as you stay true to your element Ms. Honesty, everything will work out perfectly.” She added as her smile turns into an evil smirk. “Perfectly for me.” She added as her heart glowed again as she continues to secretly observe the Apple Family as she chuckled to herself evilly.


Shortly afterwards the Apple siblings are out fishing both still have the Flim Flam brothers proposal of special tonic that got Granny Smith still fresh in their mind as Applejack is kindly trying to get Apple Bloom that there are some things too good to be true to be believed right away.

To their surprise Granny Smith was swimming comfortably along the stream causing them to run after her frantically trying to help her from drowning which she declined all of their efforts to help them without breaking her stride.

Once she got out of the water she explained to her concerned grandchildren that the tonic’s magic is working wonders to her now able to swim and dance again with her fear of water evaporating once she took a sip from the tonic. She would then drag a very reluctant Big Mac back to the farm to apple buck with him.

Even though Apple Bloom is curious of what’s in the tonic that makes it magical, Applejack is determined to prove that is another scam as she proposes to her that they find out.

Seeing that they plan out finding out tonight, Midnight decides to put her orb away as she decides to continue reading her book for the time being.

Once Applejack and Apple Bloom set out to Flim and Flam’s tent with Midnight watching from her orb from her bed just about ready to go to sleep.

“So you're just gonna walk up and ask them how it works?” Apple Bloom questioned Applejack’s plan as if she was expecting something a little stealthier than a simple question which Midnight silently agreed with Apple Bloom there.

“I guess.” Applejack responded as she doesn’t really have a plan. “Though if it's a genuine cure, I don't suppose they'll be too keen on sharin' The recipe.”

“I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t share the recipe either way even if was a genuine cure.” Midnight said as she watches the two walk up to the tent. “And I’m also sure that the Flim and Flim brothers are smart enough not to fall for obvious traps even if they are smug and arrogant.”

At that moment Silver Shill coming out of the tent wiping away the sweat from his head as he takes off his hat.

Apple Bloom and Applejack were quick to recognize him from earlier causing Silver Shill to quickly dash away from the two in an attempt to escape seeing that they are onto him.

He tries to run around the carnival tent only to run into a dead end as the two sibling’s corner him.

“Now hold it right there, Mister...?” Applejack confronted Silver while not knowing his name.

“Shill. Silver Shill. Ooh, what do you two want?” Silver nervously answered and asked as he placed a hoof over his face scared for his life.

“Our Granny took some tonic and we want to know how it works.” Applejack demanded an answer from the assistant to the con ponies as the two sisters approach him with narrowing eyes.

“Granny couldn't swim before, and now she can. Just like you couldn't walk and now you can.” Applebloom added with the same narrowing brows as Silver is shaking in fear begging for mercy. “But what are you doin' back here? I mean, if the tonic cured you and all... “ Apple Bloom questioned as Silver nervously gulps as Applejack looks around to see the various crutches and multiple wigs he used for the act.

“ ...Because he's part of the act!” Applejack answered as she puts the pieces together and looks directing at Silver Shill in the eye to demand more answers. “It's time for you to tell the truth! You never needed crutches at all, did ya?”

“I, uh... “ Silver tried to explain before pulling a nearby lever causing a whistle to be blown and steam to emerge from the pipes which created a mist of steam allowing him to escape undetected.

“Impressive!” Midnight silently complimented at his quick thinking.

Applejack able to pick up on Silver Shill’s trail was able to follow him into the tent Flim and Flam were in. And true to her suspicions the tonic isn’t a miracle cure and Silver Shill was in on their scheme too. But as Flim and Flam point out that Granny is happier now that she believes the tonic is working wonders for her making Applejack reconsider exposing the truth to her grandmother unable to tell her the truth without greatly disappointing her.

Once Midnight sees what she needs to see puts her orb away as she goes to sleep seeing that Applejack is now in a position that the truth will hurt Granny Smith and not doing so means keeping up the lie which is something that is against her element.


The next day, Applejack watches as Granny Smith swims with Big Mac and Applebloom with Applejack watching from a nearby swing still not feeling right over not being honest about it but still wants to see her grandmother happy. She continues to support the tonic as Granny Smith buys more of it seeing that she is capable of lifting Apple Bloom with her legs and competed together during swimming. They even participated in an upcoming swimming talent competition which they ended up winning together after earning a perfect score for their performance.

“For some pony with old age that is pretty impressive.” Midnight commented on the scene. “Just don’t get carried away before you do something you might regret.” She cautiously added knowing that she is going to push herself too far and the truth of the miracle “cure” will come as a result.

With Applejack’s reluctant stamp of approval, Flim and Flam’s sales have greatly increased as it convinced more ponies to be aboard with buying their product. Although Applejack is still not feeling comfort with this dishonesty even if it means securing her grandmother’s happiness. As she looked around to see ponies coming up to buy the tonic she sees Silver Shill joining in on selling their product which catches Applejack’s attention. Just after selling a bottle of tonic to a pony Applejack walks up to him to confront him again.

Midnight observing from her orb focuses her eye on that particular coin which her orb senses as the key to the element of honesty. Seeing that she has locked in what she is looking for she teleports on over to the scene to spy from a nearly tent wearing her cloak.

“What are you doin' here?” Applejack again inquired of him.

“Oh, things are going so well, Flim and Flam gave me a promotion!” Silver happily told her as he showed her the coin he had just received. “Just made my first bit as a salespony. No more costumes for this pony.“ He added as he put the coin away before awkwardly realizing his choice of words when he looks at the shirt he was wearing. “This is more of a uniform. “ He claimed what his salespony outfit is.

“If you say so.” Applejack responded skeptically of his claims.

“I used to wonder if I was doing the right thing. You know, pretending to be cured, basically lying to folks about this tonic.” Silver continued speaking a little unsure of what he was doing before changing his tone into a happier one. “But thanks to you, I realized that sometimes honesty isn't the best policy.”

“Thanks to... me?” Applejack asked in surprise as they turn to see Apple Bloom standing on top of the stage with Flim and Flam holding up the bottles advertising their product to the crowd. At this point Applejack has had enough of trying to keep up this whole charade for the sake of pleasing her elders.

“With Flim Flam's magical Curative Tonic, my Granny can do anything! Just ask Applejack!” Apple Bloom told the crowd as she pointed a hoof in Applejack’s direction with cameras flashing as ponies take pictures of her.

After briefly being overwhelmed by the constant flash photography Applejack finally decides she has had enough of this as she speaks up.

“No! This has gotta stop! If ponies keep believin' that tonic can do things it can't, who knows what'll happen?” Applejack immediately shouted as he addressed the crowd and got Silver's attention.

“Maybe something like that?” He asked the farm pony pointing up to Granny Smith climbing up a high tower causing Applejack to gasp in horror at what she is thinking she is doing as she waves to her grandson.

“Granny!” Applejack exclaimed as she runs up to Apple Bloom who is setting up a tin can filled with water. “What in blazes does she think she's doin'?!” She asked her little sister.

“Granny's gonna break the Equestria high divin' record!” Applebloom excitedly explained as Applejack looks at the small tin of water she is planning on jumping in from the very high height not understanding that Granny is gambling her life away on a reckless and lethal stunt.

“Land sakes!“ Applejack exclaimed in horror seeing what danger Granny Smith is putting herself into as she quickly sets out to stop her from killing herself.

Midnight watches as Applejack climbs up the stairs as Granny Smith reaches the edge of the diving board. After another drink from the tonic she makes her big jump as Applejack reaches the top of the stairs. Acting quick Applejack uses her lasso to grab ahold of Granny Smith just before she could hit the ground.

“Perfect timing.” Midnight commented under her breath as she watches from right behind the crowd.

“Now what in tarnation did you do that for?!” Granny Smith bitterly asked Applejack as she safely set foot onto the ground.

“That was the most fool-pony thing I've ever seen anypony do in all my life!” Applejack countered by scolding her before sliding back down to the ground. “You can't do a dive like that!”

“Oh, quit your fussin'! I had enough tonic to do a dive ten times as high!” Granny Smith dismissed her granddaughter concerns out of the sky.

“Twenty times, by my count.” Flim horribly encouraged.

“Thirty, with a favorable breeze.” Flam added as he handed her another bottle of tonic which she drinks from.

As Applejack shields herself from the glare because of the bottle reflecting sun onto her eyes her eyes gave a rainbow sparkle through her iris’s as she realizes it is time to tell the truth.

“I hate to disappoint everypony, but there's no way Granny could have made that dive, because this tonic is a fake!” Applejack honestly addressed every pony as she approaches Flim and Flam causing every pony to gasp in shock hearing this.

“"Jinx" But you gave it your stamp of approval!” An injured pony pointed out.

“Are you saying you lied?” another pony with a pink mane and purple fur asked.

“ ...I am.” Applejack bravely responded after a brief moment of hesitation causing the crowd to gasp again at this development. “I didn't mean to! But everypony seemed so much happier, I couldn't bring myself to tell you when I found out the tonic wasn't real.” Applejack apologetically told every pony as she took off her hat in shame for her dishonesty. “I know it was wrong. I just hope, with time, I can win back everypony's trust.” Applejack concluded as she put her hat back on as her little sister approaches her.

“But if the tonic is a fake, then how come Granny can swim again, and what about all that aquabatics stuff we just did?” Apple Bloom questioned.

“I reckon sometimes you can forget what you're capable of, and it just takes a little extra confidence to remember that it was inside of you all along.” Applejack honestly explains to her sister before approaching Granny Smith and bringing her in for an embrace before confronting the Flim Flam brothers.

“But tellin' ponies your tonic can do things it can't is just wrong!” Applejack sternly told off the two con ponies.

“But you just said it boosts confidence!” Flim countered trying to spin this around in their favor.

“And that's not all it does, folks– “ Flam tried to add on before being interrupted.

“Yes, it is!” Silver called out as he takes off his glasses and hat. “In fact, it's not a tonic at all! I know, 'cause I helped make it!” Silver added as Flim and Flam begin exchanging nervous looks realizing that they are in trouble now. “Watching Applejack save Granny and then admit to lying, well, that made me realize I was making ponies believe in a thing that just wasn't so!” Silver honestly confessed as he approaches the Apple Family.

“Believin' in somethin' can help you do amazin' things. But if that belief is based on a lie, eventually it's gonna lead to real trouble.” Applejack addressed to him as Flim and Flam silently back away to escape which Midnight takes notice of and quickly cuts off their escape route by entrapping the con artists with her magic.

“Thank you, Applejack.” Silver told the farm pony gratefully as he holds the bit unaware that Midnight swapped it. “I got this through dishonest means. That was a mistake I won't be making again! I'd like you to have it, as a reminder of how you helped me finally see the truth.” Silver told her as he places the bit into her hoof.

“I don't know... “ Applejack unsure about accepting it.

“Oh, don't worry. I'll track down the pony I sold that worthless tonic to and give him another bit to replace this one! Honest.” Silver reassured her it’s no big deal in order to insist on her accepting it.

“I'm sorry, Granny. I hope this doesn't mean you'll stop swimmin'.” Applejack apologetically told her.

“Why in tarnation would I do that?” Granny Smith asked in an incredulous tone. “I just can't believe those two salesponies had me believin' I could near fly!” She added in disgust as she looked back at the Flim Flam brothers direction only to find they disappeared. “Hey, where'd they go?” She asked every pony who murmurs in confusion of their disappearance.

“Right here.” Midnight spoke up holding up the Flim Flam brothers with her magic with the cart of all of the bits they collected from their scam. “I found them slipping away.”

The Flim Flam brothers both grin nervously as they face the now angry mob glaring at them.

“You two no good swindlers.” Granny Smith angrily told them off. “You made me believe that I could make high dives again that could have killed me.”

The mob angrily chatters calling them out for their false advertising and demanding their money back.

“Oh don’t worry everypony, they’ll give you all refunds which I will personally ensure that they do.” She addressed every pony as she evilly smirks at the two con ponies with a look that says. “You shouldn’t have tried to scammed me.” As the two nervously gulp realizing they have messed with the wrong pony as they see only they are caught but said pony is a princess as she lifts her hood up to reveal herself to the audience.

“Midnight?!” Applejack wondered in surprise seeing her as much as every other delighted pony bowing to her up seeing her again. “What in tarnation is she doing here?!”She again said to herself wondering what her motive for stopping them is.


One by one every pony lines up as they get the bits back from the two swindlers with Midnight having horn lighten up ready to freeze them with her magic should they try to escape again. Granny Smith was last in line as she collected a large sum of bits she put into the fake tonic with Applejack and Apple Bloom behind her.

“Now let this be a lesson to you no good whipper snappers never to scam me like that again you here me.” Granny Smith angrily threatening the two brothers who nervously nod yes as they run away in fear which Midnight lets go of her magical grasp of the two now that they have returned all of the money they scammed every pony out of.

“Thank you, your majesty.” Granny Smith thanked her as she kissed her hoof out of gratitude for stopping them.

“Think nothing of it.” Midnight humbly replied as she accepted Granny Smith's kind gesture to royalty.

“Yeah, thanks!” Apple Bloom happily added.

“Just what in tarnation are you up to now?” Applejack skeptically asked Midnight of her motives and involvement in this.

“Just looking out for the ponies who look up to me like any other princess.” Midnight simply told her as she secretly used her magic to swap the bit Silver Shoal gave Applejack with another bit just like it. “And if you’re a smart pony you’ll understand why.” She added as she prepared to fly away. “Perhaps for the next time we meet.”

Midnight then takes her leave flying back to Ponyville waving goodbye to Granny Smith and Apple Bloom who kindly wave back at her as she flies off leaving behind the scowling farm pony.


Making it back to her home at the library she takes out the bit from her coat pocket which gives the rainbow glimmer it produced meaning she now has five out of six of the keys needed to unlock the Elements of Harmony leaving one final key out in large the Element of Magic.

Her orb will let her know when it pops up, but having obtained the Mane 5’s keys now locked away in her safe she has personally ensured that the potential use of the elements needed to defeat her is now in her hooves leaving her smirking in satisfaction that she can press forward with her takeover plans once the Equestria Games come up which is very soon.

Once Midnight safely locks up the bit in her vault Midnight turns back away looking out the window as her body glowed again as she prepares to press forward with her endgame.

Author's Note:

With her latest scheme, Midnight has finally obtained all of the Mane 5's keys leaving one key still out and large around Equestria, hers.

Midnight is aware that her key is yet to be discovered she has done what she needs in order ensure that the Mane 5 can't re-access the elements of harmony in order to defeat her but time will tell her when it comes up.

For those who question this, keep in mind that the key to the Element of Magic is something that Midnight herself has to earn once she truly lives up to her element which wouldn't happen as long as she continues pursing the dark path she is on which she is aware of. So, Midnight has pretty much succeeded in her goal of obtaining the keys she needs in order stop the heroes from accessing the Elements of Harmony and using it's power to defeat her. Leaving her ready to press forward with her endgame plan unopposed as the Equestrian Games are right around the corner.

In this chapter, I have also added some bits that Midnight has keeping up with her royal duties in taking charge of the Rainbow Falls Traders Exchange and helping the Cutie Mark Crusaders improve their skills with ambitious intentions for when the three grow up. (Which BTW I had thoughts about doing an episode about but scrapped it because Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon have pretty much got the message not to mess with them again which kicked off the episode's plot in the first place.)

I just have one more chapter left to cover before getting into the episode focusing on Midnight's endgame at the Equestria Games which does focus on Midnight again testing Spike from the shadows with "Inspiration Manifestation" coming up later this week.