• Published 14th Dec 2019
  • 7,214 Views, 301 Comments

Sunset's Wonderful Life - sonicfan05



After the event at the school went wrong due to her past, Sunset wishes that she was never born. A mysterous teenaged girl, who claimed to be her gaurdian angel, showed Sunset what the world and her friends would be like without her.

  • ...
9
 301
 7,214

6. Meet Rebecca

Sunset didn’t know how long she was out in the cold, nor that she was lightly covered in snow, or how long she was walking through the snow through the neighborhood. Quite frankly, she no longer cared. She just wanted to get away from everything. She didn't want anyone to find her. She just wanted to be alone, especially after what happened tonight.

She continued to walk under the night's sky until she eventually reached the tall bridge towards Canterlot City and over the rapid river. The bridge is quite famous when it was first built to allow many tourists or potential new residents to travel over it and visit the great city of Canterlot. However this bridge is also infamous for anyone who use this location for much more darker purpose, especially when their lives went downhill.

Sunset leaned over the bridge's railing at stared out over the dark horizon with a depressing sigh.

“Who could ever cared about some former bully girl like me?” Sunset asked herself softly with a sniff. “I ruined the Christmas Festival, the school is going to shut down because of me and now everyone hated me… even my best friends.”

She thought back to what happened tonight. How it all gone wrong. How her friends reacted in anger from every one of her mistakes and the hurt they felt after she latched out against them. Cinch somehow recording their lives with magic about them and are now blackmailing her to leave the human world. And of course, Twilight's revelation of what was the cause of her breakup with Timber.

It was all coming back to Sunset. Everything from the moment she rebelled against her teacher and mother equivalent to now. How that she caused so much trouble for everyone just because she inadvertently brought Equestrian magic to this world and how she had hurt someone so badly as a bully. By the time she realized the damages she caused, it was too little too late. If only she hadn't acted like a high horse, heed her teacher's advice and not ran away to this world like a spoiled brat, none of this ever happened. They would have been celebrating their party right now. Those kids could have been playing with their new toys by now. They would still have their school to go to. And her friends lives would never be ruined.

Assuming if they still wanted her to be their friend after this.

She sighed sadly through her nose. “My past mistakes is always coming back to hurt not just me, but to everyone else. I always bring trouble to everyone, even when I’m trying to be good. But it wasn't enough. It was never enough! Maybe it would’ve been best if I didn’t come to this world at all. Maybe it would probably be best…” She let a lone tear trailing down along her cheek. “If I just… disappear!

Sunset looked down over the railing, seeing a dark water rapids moving at a fast rate. She wondered if anyone would ever miss her if she was gone, but with everything that happened because of her, she doubted it. With a look of despair and hopelessness, Sunset climbed up and stood up on the railing. As she stared at the watery depths below, she thought back to her friends one last time.

I’m sorry everyone. I’m sorry Princess Celestia. I'm sorry Princess Twilight. And I’m sorry… Twilight.

Sunset closed her eyes and proceeded to step off the railing.

“HELP! SOMEBODY HELP!”

Sunset immediately stopped what she was doing and opened her eyes when she heard a desperate cry for help. Was there somebody else on the bridge?

“HELP! DOWN HERE! SOMEONE SAVE ME!”

Sunset looked down and gasped. There was indeed a person just below her. Sunset couldn't make out any features from the person due to darkness, distance and snowy weather, but judging from the person's voice, Sunset identified to be a teenaged girl. Sunset didn't know how that girl got there, but that mysterious stranger was currently hanging on to the edge of the beam with her dear life, but not for very long.

“Oh my gosh! Hang on! I’m coming!” Sunset cried as she proceed to slowly climbed over the railing and scaling down the side of the bridge to save the girl.

“HELP! I’M SLIPPING!” The girl cried desperately as she slowly sliding away from the edge.

“I’m almost there!” Sunset hollered as she continued to shimmy her way over to the girl.

Once she had reached the bottom ledge of the bridge, Sunset went over to the girl and reached her hand out to her.

“Quick! Grab my hand!” Sunset cried.

The girl looked up to Sunset and reached out to Sunset. After some struggle the Sunset finally reached girl and grabbed her hand and then pulling her up. Once the girl was in a much safer spot, Sunset let out a sigh of relief.

“Whew, that was close! Are you alright?” Sunset asked.

The girl nodded, despite her shaking due to the cold. “Y-yeah! T-thanks for saving me! I-I thought I was a g-goner for sure!”

Sunset took a good look at the girl. She had teal eyes, brown hair. Her face was also a little pale, probably because she was out in the cold for who knows how long. Sunset placed her hands on the girl's shoulders, only to wince when she felt the girl's shoulders were as cold as ice.

Geez, she’s freezing! Sunset exclaimed in thought. How long was she out here? How long was she hanging on from that bridge?

Despite not knowing who the person is, Sunset couldn't just leave this poor girl alone. She needed to get this person out from the cold and help her back to health.

“Can you stand?” Sunset asked.

The girl simply nodded.

“Alright, then follow me!" Sunset instructed. "I’ll take you somewhere warm!”


After they climbed themselves out if the bridge's beam, Sunset led the girl over to Sweet Shoppe to get themselves warm up. Thankfully, the Shoppe was still open and Sunset ordered two hot cocoa for themselves. Once they got their drinks, they went over to one of the booths to relax. They each took a long sip from their drinks and then they let out a satisfied sigh, feeling the warmth from their stomachs.

“Ahh~ This hot cocoa almost tasted like it came from heaven!” said the girl with a smile. “You sure you don’t want me to pay you back?”

“Don’t sweat it, it’s on me!" Sunset assured with a smile. "I’m just glad you are feeling better.”

Sunset mused as she observed this stranger's behavior. Her personalty kinda reminded her of a combination between Fluttershy and Pinkie Pie. Very kind and gentle, yet fun and energetic. But unlike her two friends, there was something about that girl that seemed... different from her friends or anyone else for that matter, like she wasn't even from this world. Sunset couldn't put her finger on it, but just looking at this girl made her feel... at peace and safe.

"You know… I don't think I've ever seen you around in this town before. Are you new here?" Sunset asked with her curious expression.

After taking another sip of her hot cocoa, the girl placed the cup down on the table with a sheepish grin. “Oh right, where are my manners? My name is Rebecca! It's nice to meet you Sunset Shimmer!"

"Well it's nice to meet you--" Sunset paused, processing what the stranger just said to her. Then it clicked. "Wait… how'd you know my name? I don't recall telling you who I am before bringing you here."

"Well, you could say that I know a lot about you," Rebecca answered cryptically. "I know everything what you've done at CHS and beyond."

Sunset drooped and frowned deeply. "Oh... so other people told you about me huh?" She chuckled humorlessly. "That certainly doesn't surprise me. Figures that there are some people who still have a grudge on me and would jump at the chance to tell others how awful I was."

"You're not awful Sunset," Rebecca said soothingly. "Sure, you had a major fallout with Princess Celestia, fled from your world to this world, becoming a bully and turned into a She-Demon after you stole Princess Twilight's crown, but you come a long way and becoming a better person!"

Sunset sighed heavily. "I don't know. Despite all my efforts, I still don't think I'm--"

Sunset suddenly stopped talking again and her eyes widened in saucers. She realized that the stranger was just talking about her home world and everypony who lives there! She definitely never mentioned anything about her home world once!

"Hang on… how did you know Princess Celestia?" Sunset questioned "Or that I'm from-?"

"Another dimensional world full of ponies and other creatures?" Rebecca finished as she took another sip of her cocoa. "Oh yes, I know all about that. And I also know that you were an orphaned girl who was abandoned from your birth parents and was very alone despite living in an orphanage until you were adopted by Princess Celestia and views you as her own daughter." She then gave Sunset her look of sympathy. "And even after you've seen the error of your ways, you feared of seeing your 'mother' again because of how you treated her before you came here, feeling like you have let her down."

Alarm bells started ringing in Sunset's mind. This person somehow knew all about her entire life. Not just in the human world, but in Equestria as well. Her eyes narrowed in suspicion as she leaned close to her new "friend's" face.

"Alright, who are you and what do you want?" She growled quietly. "Are you another one of those evil villains from my world? Are you after Equestrian magic here? Or are you trying to get back at me as revenge for what I did to you?" She banged the table with her fist, startling Mrs. Cake in the process. "TELL ME!?"

Despite Sunset's aggressive nature, Rebecca had a calming smile on her face.

"Now now Sunny," Rebecca said gently as if she was speaking to a child. "I'm not here to hurt you. I'm here to help you."

Sunset calmed down somewhat, but stared at Rebecca confusingly. "Help me?"

Rebecca nodded. "Oh yes. You see, you were feeling lost, depressed and helpless… more than usual due to the recent events." She then puts on a sad frown. "And when you were on that bridge about to make the biggest mistake of your life, I have to step in!"

"'Step in'?" Sunset parroted, still feeling confused. She thought about what Rebecca's words were implying for a moment. Then, her mind clicked.

"Wait… did you… jump over the bridge on purpose!?" Sunset cried out in disbelief.

Rebecca had a small blush on her face with a sheepish smile. "Well technically… I actually appeared over that railing." She then cleared her throat. "It wasn't my original plan, but at least I stopped you from jumping off of that bridge."

Sunset continued to stare at her with her mouth gaping. She couldn't believe that a stranger would do something so extreme, just to prevent her from doing herself in. She wasn't sure if she should be admired or disturbed from that person's deeds. She had many questions floating around in her brain, but didn't know which one to ask.

In the end, she decided to pick this one question in particular.

"Why… why did you do it?" She asked quietly.

Rebecca grinned softly. "Because it was my duty," she replied simply.

Sunset tilted her head. "Duty?"

Rebecca nodded. "Yes… as your guardian angel of course!"

...

"I'm sorry… what?" Sunset asked, after a moment of stunned silence.

"I'm your guardian angel," Rebecca repeated.

Sunset blinked, not sure if she heard her correctly.

"You're... my guardian angel?" Sunset clarified.

When Rebecca nodded, Sunset had a skeptic frown on her face.

"I'm sorry, but I find this hard to believe! There are no such thing as a guardian angels!"

Rebecca cocked an eyebrow. "So you're saying that there is such a thing as talking ponies, magical crazed She-Demons, evil sirens, some plant monster, a giant woman and a killer robot… but not guardian angels?"

"...okay, you got me there!" Sunset conceded but still very skeptic. "But if you really are my 'guardian angel', then where's your wings?"

Rebecca then blushed out of embarrassment. "Well… I'm technically still an AS-two."

Sunset blinked. "An AS-two?"

"Angel Second Class," Rebecca clarified. "I… still haven't... earn my wings yet... despite being an angel for over two hundred years."

Despite Sunset's curiously about Rebecca being around for so long, the news that Rebecca wasn't a true angel didn't sit well for her. She lightly facepalmed.

"Oh, well that's just great!" Sunset moaned before giving Rebecca her angry look. "Well maybe you didn't do a good job as my guardian angel because you didn't do a good job with guiding me! Like where were you when I really needed you, huh? Where were you when I first arrived here with no way home? Or after I turned into a She-Demon? Or even after the first few weeks of trying to be good and apologize to everyone but many people spat in my face? Or last Christmas? Or all my miserable lonely years at the orphanage as a filly? WHY WEREN'T YOU THERE THEN!?"

Sunset controlled her breathing after she finished her raging tirade. While Rebecca still had a calm look on her face, Sunset also noticed Mrs. Cake was looking at her with a face full of concern. Sunset immediately felt guilty for once again letting her anger get the better of her. She gave an apologetic glance at Mrs. Cake, assuring her that she's alright before facing Rebecca again.

"I'm… I'm sorry," said Sunset, feeling ashamed. "I didn't mean to snap at you. I was just-"

Rebecca raised her palm up, stopping Sunset from talking. "It's alright Sunset, I understand," she said gently. "You didn't have an easy life and you briefly lost your way due to your anger and loneliness, but you are a strong person! Now you have friends on your side whenever you were down." She frowned. "However, I sensed that you were in major trouble, your morale was lower than usual and in deep despair. Worse of all, I sensed that you felt like your life didn't really matter. It was because of that… I decided to finally intervene."

Sunset stared at Rebecca with a look of awe. While she was still skeptical about Rebecca being a guardian angel, her explanation does make some sort of sense. It was also comforting that this "angel" decided to come to help her of all people in the time of need. Then, a thought came to mind which brings her a little hope.

"So... are you here to help me save my friends and the school because of my mistake?" Sunset asked.

"Unfortunately… no," Rebecca answered, much to Sunset's disappointment. "I can't help you for that, but I can help you get back on track!" Rebecca finished what was left of her cocoa before she continued. "While you may think that you are a burden to everyone and that your life is pointless, but I can assure you that your life does matters. Every person's life is just as important as another. So much so, we even made an impact to one or more lives in the process, even if we don't realise it. But yours Sunset," she grinned. "Your life are one of the few that I seen are incredibly special! Not just in this world, but also from the world where you come from!"

Sunset stared at Rebecca some more after hearing that inspiring speech. Part of her wanted to believe that, thinking that her purpose of being in the human world really does matter and that her friends are happy with her being there with them. But doubts still weighed in her heart and let out a depressing sigh.

“Yeah, well… I don’t feel like I’m special at all!" Sunset said sadly. "I was such a spoiled brat when I was Princess Celestia’s pupil! I wanted power... and be the very best, but Princess Celestia refused to give it to be. Instead of heeding her advice and warnings... I spat in her face and fled into this world to plot out my revenge. As I stayed here, I became much worse as I treated everyone at CHS horribly, humiliating and crushing anyone who gets in my way… as a bully."

Sunset then stared into her cup filled her cocoa, contemplating on all of her past actions that she was still regretting to this day. She let out a long sigh.

"Thankfully, Twilight… the pony Twilight and the Rainbooms, who later become my best friends, stopped me… but the damage was already done. Sure, a lot of students and the teachers at CHS forgave me eventually, but there are some who still hates me to this very day… not that I could blame them. And to make things worse… because of my actions, I inadvertently brought Equestian magic into this world. Either people like Twilight, the human version, became corrupt with magic or some random magic mishaps happens in town!”

She buried herself into her hand, trying to keep her tears at bay.

“Even when I tried to do good… I’m nothing but trouble. And now everything is ruined because of me… and I let everyone down… including my friends. Maybe it would’ve been better… if I never come to this world in the first place. Or better yet… maybe it would’ve been better in both worlds… if I never been–”

“Stop. Right. There!”

Sunset stopped talking and then immediately looked up. She was nearly taken aback when she noticed Rebecca had a very angry and stern expression on her face. Completely opposite to her happy and gentle personality from before.

“I know what you are going to say, and you shouldn’t even say that!” Rebecca scolded. “Look Sunset… we all made mistakes and have bad moments every now and then, but there are a lot of good moments too, even if we don’t realised it!"

Despite Rebecca's sudden change of attitude, Sunset narrowed her eyes. “Well maybe for you and some other people, but I doubt I did good for any world!”

Rebecca didn't back down. “Sunset, I can’t stressed this enough, but you made a lot of big impacts not just your life, but your friends' lives as well… in BOTH worlds!”

“My friends?" Sunset cried out in disbelief. "What do you know about my friends!? I’ll tell you what I know, my friends will probably be better off without me, that’s what I know!”

Rebecca frowned in worry. “Now that’s not true Sunset–”

“It IS true!” Sunset screamed angrily. “If I didn’t come to this world, we wouldn’t even be having this conversation! I just keep ruining my friends and everyone else’s lives because of my actions! And now the school is paying the price no thanks to me and there’s nothing we can do about it! So how about you just go back to wherever you came from, and tell whoever’s in charge of you that I wished I’ve never been BORN!

Rebecca's eyes widened before she let out a groan. “OOOOH! I told you not to say that!

“Well I just did!" Sunset snapped. "In fact, let me say this again: I WISH I’VE NEVER BEEN BORN!

The whole Shoppe was now a quiet as a church. It was so painfully quiet, you could hear a needle drop. While Sunset continued to stare at the guardian angel with a look of anger in her eyes, Rebecca once again groaned and shook her head.

“Ooooh! Why did you have to say that? Why can’t you understand how important and wonderful your life really–”

She paused and thought for a moment. She realised that the flaming head teen was too stubborn to listen to see reason. But with Sunset's wish, then maybe she could use this as an opportunity to show her how important her life really is. Rebecca let out a sly grin.

“Alright… very well then!” said Rebecca as she clapped her hands.

Suddenly, Sunset felt something strange, as if some force left her body. Then the ground shook lightly as if there was a small earthquake. On top of that, the doors and windows of the Shoppe opened randomly and a strong breeze flowed into the building and surrounding her. About a minute later, everything stopped and the doors and windows slammed shut as if it never happened.

“Wha- what was that?” Sunset exclaimed as she looked around the shop with a bewildered expression.

“You made a wish, and I just grant it!” Rebecca answered simply.

“What, you’re a genie now?” Sunset scoffed as she turned back towards her guest. “How can you–”

When Sunset set her eyes where Rebecca sat, she was gone. With the exception of a now empty cocoa cup, there wasn't a single trace of the supposed guardian angel.

Wha– where did she go? Sunset thought.

She looked around the Shoppe again to see if the girl was actually hiding or pulling a prank. There wasn't a single person in the building at all, even Mrs. Cake seemed to have disappeared. Too tired and annoyed to deal with this, Sunset let out a sigh.

“Whatever... I’ll just go home,” she muttered to herself as she got up from her seat and walked out of the Shoppe.


What a night! She thought. Our school is in deep trouble, equestrian magic ruined our chances of saving CHS, the fundraiser was ruined, I yelled at my friends and upsetting them in the process, and on top of that, I met a girl who happened to be my... “guardian angel”, who saved me from jumping off the bridge. She let out a long sigh. I might as well go to bed and worry about this tomorrow… assuming we still have our school to go to… and if I actually want to show my face to everyone I let down.

With a small huff, Sunset dug into her pocket to take out her apartment key. To her confusion, she didn't feel her key in her pocket at all.

“What the– where's my key?” She checked every pocket she could dig into to find her missing key.

While this wasn't the first time that she had lost her key, but Sunset swore to herself that she remembered putting away her key in one of her pants pockets. Her key wasn't the only one that was missing. She also had lost her cell phone, her wallet and to her horror, her magical geode that she used to read people's minds and feelings.

"Where are my things!?" She shouted out loud. She then let out a loud grunt in frustration. “That's just great! I must've either misplaced them at the Shoppe, the school or… the bridge. Oh I hope I didn't drop them over that bridge!"

With a loud huff, Sunset turned towards her window still where her plant was sitting. “Well it’s a good thing I hid my spare key by the plants as an emergency!"

Sunset immediately dig into her plant to find her spare key. She planned that once she entered her home, she called the girls and ask them for help to find her things, strained friendships be darned. But her frustration only increased when her spare key was missing from its usual spot.

“What the– my spare key is not there either?” She exclaimed before turning towards her door with narrowed eyes. “Okay… did Pinkie Pie pranked me again?”

With a growl, Sunset began to bang on her apartment door with her fist. “Hello? Pinkie, are you in my house?” Sunset demanded loudly, not caring that she’ll wake her neighbors up in the process. “Did you changed my locks on my door as a prank again? Because if you did, this isn’t funny Pinkie! Open the door!”

Sunset kept banging on the door for a minute longer until she saw a light illuminated from her door’s window with a figure in front of it. When the door finally opened, Sunset prepared to let her party friend have it, despite that she did already.

“What the hay is wrong with you Pinkie?! What is the meaning of–”

Sunset immediately stopped screaming when she realized the person she was screaming to wasn’t one of her friend or anyone she was familiar with. Instead, she was looking at a complete stranger who was middle aged bloated woman. She was wearing a pink robe with light blue slippers, rollers in her hair and a green facial mask.

“Um… who are you?” Sunset asked in her stunned tone.

“I should be asking you that!” The woman let out an annoyed grunt after being interrupted from her sleep. “What are you doing knocking on my door to my apartment at this time at night?”

Sunset was flabbergasted from the stranger's statement before her expression turned to anger.

Your apartment?" Sunset snapped. "This is MY apartment! And you’re transpassing!”

The woman’s eyes narrowed. “I think you’ve lost your mind kid! I suggest you leave now before I called the authorities!”

“Like heck you are!” Sunset shouted as she tried to enter the building. “I’ll be the one to call the authorities once I get in and kick you out!”

“HEY! You stop that right now!” The woman yelled as she was blocking Sunset from entering.

“You let me in and get out of my home this instant!” Sunset shouted in frustration, trying her best to shove the lady out of her way.

“Excuse me, is there a problem here?”

The two stopped what they were doing and towards to the sudden voice of a mysterious third person. To Sunset's surprise, the voice belonged to none other than Rebecca, who had that same pleasant expression on her face.

“YOU!?” Sunset cried. “What are you doing here?”

“I followed you!” Rebecca said simply. “I gotta make sure you didn’t run into any trouble.”

Sunset frown. “Then why did you disappeared earlier?”

“For fun!”

Sunset let out an annoyed sigh.

“Excuse me!” The woman exclaimed with an indignant look. “I don’t know what game you two are playing at, but I want the both of you off of my property or else!”

Sunset whipped her head around and glared at the woman. “Your property!?” she growled. “I told you, I live here! You are the one who I want you to leave or else I–”

“This is not you apartment Sunset!" Rebecca intervened. “In fact, you never lived in an apartment or anywhere else… ever!

As Sunset stood there with her confused look, the woman let out a scoff. “See? Even your friend said you don’t live here! Now scram before I call the cops!”

Before Sunset could argue further, the woman slammed the door behind her. Losing her patience and wanting to get to the bottom of this, Sunset turned to face her "guardian angel".

“What is going on here?” Sunset demanded. “What do you mean I don’t live in my apartment or anywhere else? Answer me!”

Rebecca cocked an eyebrow. “You really don’t know yet Sunset? Then allow me to elaborate!" She then gestured everything around her. "Welcome to the world… in which you’re never born!”

Author's Note:

And so it begins... :moustache:


Fun Fact: The name I gave to Sunset's guardian angel was inspired by Sunset Shimmer's English voice actress, Rebecca Shoichet! :twilightsmile: