• Published 27th Nov 2019
  • 5,278 Views, 901 Comments

Hour of Twilight - Starscribe



Twilight Sparkle was Celestia's chosen heir, and under her rule Equestria was destined to prosper. But then her friends passed, as mortal ponies always do, and she was left to rule alone. The years were not kind to her after that.

  • ...
28
 901
 5,278

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 16: Crux

Jamie stared back at her reflection, confused and horrified by what she saw. It was strange: she knew on an intellectual level that if she’d woken this way the first time, she would’ve just assumed it was the way she ought to be, and never questioned it. But now that she had a month in this bizarre horse-body, alterations to it felt just as much like violations as involuntary mods would’ve been to her human shape.

That I’ll probably never get back either.

Of course Epsilon had promised that when the new city was prospering and her mission complete, there would be ample resources to grow a new body and transplant her. But that promise meant all of nothing when she knew full well she’d be disappeared by Twilight’s secret police long before it happened.

Alicorns are demigods of incredible power. I should be able to escape Epsilon and run to somewhere safe. She should be able to do that, but Jamie didn’t have a clue how. She didn’t look or feel very much like a demigod.

Honestly, she’d looked better with the bandages. The stitches around her forehead were healing well enough, and she could hide their angry red under her reddish mane and pink coat. But the wings were… more obvious.

Thick stitches ran from her shoulder blades most of the way to her flank. Epsilon called them “invisible”, but they felt as thick as yarn and about as irritating. Then there were the wings themselves.

Through means entirely unknown to her, Epsilon had matched her color almost perfectly with the feathers, creating a set of wings she probably would’ve thought were elegant and impressive if she saw them on somepony else. Her coat had been completely shaved away around her shoulders where they met, and titanium braces sunk into her skin, holding them in place.

“Your body is showing signs of rejection, but no test has revealed why. The genetic match is perfect, those wings were created with your own pluripotent cells. These implants will administer immune-suppressant directly until the incompatibility is resolved.”

She had to prompt the AI to tell her what she’d already suspected. Because it had clearly known how upset it would make her. “Yes, there will be some side effects on your normal immune function. Avoid sources of infection and sterilize wounds immediately after suffering them.”

Jamie glared at the wall-height mirror in her little quarters, eyes fixed on the stupid stub of a horn poking out of her head. It looked like she’d already come down with a bad case of horse cancer, with that stupid thing sticking out of her like that. No immune-suppressants necessary.

“This plan won’t work,” she declared. “I’m not the dictator. Just because you’ve grated me into a shitty approximation doesn’t mean ponies are going to be fooled. They look like horses; they don’t have horse brains.”

For reasons I can’t even imagine. God only knows what possessed somebody to design them. She’d known the world would end for most of her adult life. She’d been less clear about what would rise from its corpse.

“Their intelligence is estimated at near-human,” Epsilon said. “But their customs suggest the approximation will be accurate enough. It does not need to survive sustained investigation over many years, only a few months of non-aggression. Maps obtained of their civilization suggest Shelter 198.64-Beta is far from their center of power and communication is slow. Our manipulation is unlikely to be discovered in time to have any significant impact.”

“Hollow Shades has a telegraph office,” she argued, stomping back into her bathroom and glaring at that reflection now instead. Of course it hadn’t changed. That stupid stubby horn still poked out from her mane, ruining all the styles Shy had taught her.

In Hollow Shades, she’d seen ponies with horns like that doing incredible things. They could act like they had hands, moving objects around without touching them. But none of her attempts had made any difference. Maybe I can get my mane silly enough to hide this thing. Or wear a big coat so they can’t see my wings.

Or she could just stay in her quarters and play video games. What would Epsilon do if she just wouldn’t leave?

“This information is known,” said Epsilon’s voice from behind her. “Projections indicate this plan will be successful. It will not be adjusted further. Any objections you make at this time will be logged for post-mortem review.”

If that’s not an apt name for what’s about to happen, I don’t know what is. Jamie flopped back into her old favorite chair, pulling over the tablet computer and flipping through it with her hoof. At least the AI had kept this oversized thing around. “What about everyone in Hollow Shades already fucking recognizing me? Did you think about that one?”

At least a few of them will. The Sundrop gardeners that I abandoned, Georgia with her snack stall.

Invent an explanation,” Epsilon said flatly. “You were testing their faith, perhaps. That deception has been used numerous times with fair results.”

Of course, because it’s that simple.

“So I’m just going to walk into town out of the jungle, exactly like last time? I don’t know how smart you think I am, but I don’t know what I can tell them about where a god came from. You better have a good idea, Epsilon. This is your stupid fucking braindead plan.”

The intelligence was silent for a good moment, as though considering the question. But how long could it take a computer to answer a question? Maybe it was running more simulations or something?

“You’re going to appear miraculously surrounded by onlookers,” Epsilon said. “You’re the princess of our city, of course, sent to beg for peace while we rebuild. When the moment arrives, I will inform you of where we require. For reasons that should be obvious, we will not be building anywhere too near this shelter. It will remain as a fallback if all else fails.”

Great. “You should probably know something else. The ponies are superstitious about anything that isn’t magical. They call it Darktech. I was staying with someone who didn’t care too much about the rules, but a regular horse would be terrified. Whatever miracle you’re thinking of can’t be simply technical, or they’ll be… unhappy.”

Why am I even bothering trying to help it? I’m not going to go through with whatever insanity it comes up with. She needed to master her powers and escape. Assuming… she really had any. Maybe Epsilon didn’t know how to make bodies like this that actually worked. That would explain why it had chosen to make her a normal horse the first time, and only later been forced to adapt.

“Noted. Concealed devices will be used for this mission, suitably accutrimented to appear arcane. There is a library of stage props that can be adapted. Meanwhile, citizen Jamie should keep herself from being too active, and let the healing be complete. Signs of your surgery would make the fraud obvious, so your wings at least will have to be healed. That should give enough time to prepare a suitable wardrobe and delivery method. Another week should be enough time to remove the braces.”

Great. A deadline. Jamie flipped her tablet screen back on, and returned to her game. So I have a week left to figure out how to escape.


“So we had to run,” Star finished, after about an hour of conversation. Most of the details had come from Ginny, who seemed to know exactly how to lead on her audience. It was just the right amount of accurate details about Concord, while leaving enough ambiguous that it didn’t scream ‘cover story.’ “We had to get far enough from Concord that the court’s power would be too weak to find me. Nowhere is further than Hollow Shades.”

The alien creature was an attentive audience, letting them continue the story with minimal interruption. After listening for a few minutes, Star began to doubt that this was at all about interrogation after all. It was more like talking to a pony with little life experience, who wanted to know about the world outside of their tiny slice of reality.

So kinda like me whenever Dad told stories about the surface. He just wants to know about the world. For a world-eating monster, this creature didn’t seem threatening at all. His voice was muffled by a mask, but not to sound intimidating. It seemed he needed it to breathe. They wouldn’t need to have a magical battle worthy of the princess to get rid of him, only cut a few tubes.

Iron Lord, more like Crippled Lord. What’s he lord of, anyway?

Of course it wouldn’t be Star Orchid to decide like that, as much as she did want to be done with this awful mission. Even if she had the confidence to attack a creature in cold blood (she didn’t), there was no telling what other complexity might be here. Maybe the Devourers had picked their weakest, most pitiful member to represent them, baiting any attack out against a worthless target before the real creatures pulling the strings could be found.

That sounded plausible, she decided to believe it.

“And you came all the way here, expecting to find a kinder reception,” the Iron Lord said. “And you were treated the same way.” He turned to Wellspring, casually curious. “Why does pony law stop the two of them from being together. Is it a gay thing?”

Star answered first. “Most parents wouldn’t be happy if their child was gay. In Concord you only get one foal. That would mean they wouldn’t get any grandchildren.”

The creature nodded. “I suppose that does make sense. Birth quotas and all. You’re not the first culture to have them. But then why can’t the two of you be together?”

“Hippogriffs,” Wellspring supplied. “The child of a pony and a griffon is a hippogriff. After their, uh… the Words of Harmony say they’re a creature of chaos, torn between two natures. If a hippogriff is ever born anywhere, it’s destroyed.”

“Barbaric.” The Iron Lord looked the two of them over for another moment, like a changeling sizing up their love for a meal. Which made sense, considering everything she knew about their diet. They were like the old changelings, but worse. Of course the Iron Lord needed affection to survive. That was probably why he’d brought them here in the first place.

But she felt none of the fabled attacks from him. No drain that latched onto her chest and sucked the life out of her. Only sympathy. “Your world has a harsh ruler,” he said, after an awkward silence. “My friends and I want to do something about that. I’m told you want to join us in that goal, is that still true? Are you ready to fight for a world where a pony and a griffon can be lovers?”

You’re insane. Nopony cares about things like that. They’re worried about Commissars breaking down their door in the middle of the night and dragging their family away for infractions they didn’t even know they’d committed.

“Yes,” Ginny said. “We are. But before we agree, we want to know. Who are you? What kind of creature are you, and why do you care about this place? It’s not your home.”

Here came the rousing speech, the promise that he or his master had the true right to rule, and that Twilight was full of evil. This was when the gloves came off.

The creature sat back in his chair, folding his hands sadly in his lap. His voice was distant, with the pain of a creature far older weighing him down. “It was. Before Equestria, before… anything you see. In a world so old, it’s in the fossil record now. A great and terrible age.”

He hesitated, wheezing and coughing in his chair. The Darktech along the back whirred to life, gears grinding together angrily. But after a few intense seconds, it didn’t tear itself apart, and the creature was breathing normally again. “I’ll be honest with you, Star Orchid and Ginny. I’m the last of my kind. But considering… what happened to us, maybe that’s the way it should be.

“When I woke from my long sleep, I saw that everyone I loved was gone, and I wanted to join them. My body was rotten and destroyed, kept alive only with barely functional machines. But before I ate a bullet, I decided to take a trip to the surface. I wanted to die in the sun.

“I found ponies up there, ponies who took me in. Ponies who showed me that maybe there was still something worth living for, after all. I don’t know how much longer I’ll be able to help you all—but until my body gives out, here I am.”

He reached sideways, patting Wellspring on the shoulder. “You’ve already met Wellspring, she’s… the creature I trust most. You’ll continue to work with her, most of the time. Getting up like this is… very difficult for me. It is better to remain in my pod. But know that whenever it feels you are working alone, and the odds are against you—I am there, helping you.”

How much of this story is true, I wonder? She glanced to the side, meeting Ginny’s eyes. But if she wanted to find some secret to how her friend felt, she wouldn’t find it here. When we’re back home. I want to know.

“That’s enough, Iron Lord,” Wellspring said. She began rotating his chair around, so that it was up against the glowing wall. It all lit up again as soon as he was facing it, as though it knew its master. “You don’t have to be so grim with every creature who comes to visit. We’ll have medical magic to save you long before your time comes. We’ll have the best doctor in Equestria, you’ll see.”

He laughed. “The last of the magic died when the governing intelligence failed. You see, newcomers—my friends are eager for my continued service. I hope they’ll remember I do not expect an impossible miracle. Only that they continue working.”

“Come on.” Wellspring gestured to the door. “We have a place for you here—for everypony who joins. I’ll show you, then I can explain your next assignment.”

They left the Iron Lord to his incredible spell with its thousands of farcasting eyes. Looking at that wall, Star Orchid didn’t doubt his promise that he could be watching them. With so many different points of vision, he could probably watch a dozen ponies at once, all working towards their own goals. Like Harmony itself, almost. How can he do that?

Wellspring took them down another hallway, which split a dozen different ways. A little pouch waited on the front of one, and she flicked it open. Inside was a pair of necklaces, made from plain twine and a few shards of cheap gemstone. It was one of Equestria’s most common types of jewelry, worn even in the lowliest neighborhoods.

“This will allow you to get around in the Undercastle until you’ve earned our trust.” She offered the necklace to each of them, and didn’t move until they’d both put them on. “This door is yours. See that symbol? It means C-12. You’re in C wing, room twelve.” She yanked on Star’s necklace, holding it briefly up to the door. It clicked, swinging inward.

The space beyond was plain sandstone, much like the rest of this strange “Undercastle.” But it was twice the size of their cheap rented room, with a bed made of metal, and actual blankets on top. There was a desk as well, and a real bathroom.

Star stumbled towards it, pointing with a hoof. “Th-those are taps. You have running water here?”

Wellspring smiled smugly. “I thought you’d like that. The shower works too, but I warn you. The luxuries of the castle are reserved for those who serve our cause. While you’re working, you’re welcome. If you aren’t going to use the space, we’ll give it to somepony who will.”

Ginny made it all the way to the end of the room before turning and walking slowly back. If anything, she seemed unimpressed. “We can’t just disappear. Even if you’re paying us, I’ve got… obligations on the surface. I’ll need to come up with a story or something. An excuse to leave. But Star will probably be eager to stay down here. She got fired—what, a month ago?”

“About that.” She glared at the bird, sensing the first traces of a smile on that beak. But the advice was clear enough: ‘you need to be down here full time to figure out their secrets.’

Wellspring frowned at her. “I suppose that’s fine. But trips back and forth will have to be blindfolded for the time being. As I said, we’re not sure yet if we can trust you. So we can’t have you learning the route. That will mean waiting for somepony else to be coming or going from the castle before you can leave.”

Ginny shrugged, hiding her disappointment well enough that Star almost missed it. “If that’s what it takes. I should be able to spend much time here as well… when we’re not out working for you. I have to imagine you didn’t bring us here to sit behind a desk and write documents or something.”

“No, we didn’t.” Wellspring looked between them again, and Star’s stomach turned. She imagined the pony had somehow figured out their secret. But no, that wasn’t suspicion. “Your involvement with our organization will grow. You’ll meet more of your comrades, and take on more important work. But much of it will still be on the surface. Everything you see in the castle exists to enable ponies all over Equestria, all working towards the same goals. You’re part of a noble endeavor.”

“Does this noble endeavor have a name?” Ginny asked. “We know your goals—a kinder, gentler Equestria. Your leader promises a world where the two of us can be together. But I’d like to know what to call you.”

“Of course.” Wellspring stood straighter, as though posing for a pony who wasn’t there. Or maybe her Iron Lord. “We call ourselves Stygian’s Gate. It’s not a name we want spread around Equestria, for reasons that should be obvious to you. But that’s what you’re a part of now. Everypony who visits the castle is… part of the family. That includes you. Now let me show you around.”

They might call it a castle, but after touring for the next half hour or so, Star thought that name was a little… silly. Compared to the vastness of Twilight’s palace, with a thousand rooms and hundreds of staff, Stygian’s Gate headquarters was downright pitiful. Except for the tiny detail that it seemed to run on Darktech.

Darktech that let them keep the entire place lit, and see across Equestria with a thousand eyes. Wellspring didn’t show them all their powers—she took them to a mess hall for a meal of plain but filling grain, then dismissed them to retire for the night.

But Star kept her eyes open, and she watched. There were many ponies here, and it seemed most of them were gathering information. What that information was about was less clear, though she didn’t doubt she would be able to figure it out with enough time.

Obviously they’re rebelling. Looking for military weak points. Spreading chaos and disharmony.

But the rebellion hadn’t stayed hidden for this long by being stupid. She got the sense that Wellspring avoided anywhere sensitive. She introduced them to few of the ponies here, and never let them linger near the information spells.

“You’ll be part of all this one day,” Wellspring said, when they were finally back at their quarters. “But for now, you’ll have to forgive our caution. If the princess discovered us here before we… had a chance to convince her… it could go badly for everypony. So we have to be careful about who can know what.”

“We understand,” Ginny said. “We want you to be careful. If you’re careful with us, it means you’re careful with everypony. So somepony stupid won’t get us revealed.”

“Exactly,” Wellspring agreed. “It’s just about taking precautions. I’m glad you understand.” She leaned in close, eyes turning into dangerous slits. “I watch after my family, you two. If you’re part of it, then I’ll protect you. If you ever do anything to hurt them—I’ll hurt you first.” She turned away, marching right out the door. It shut by itself, clicking locked.

That was normal, though. Their necklaces could open it, and take them to any of the few places they were welcome. So far that was just the common room, the mess hall, and the gym. But more would follow, if they were good.

Ginny looked up and down the room, silent but expression pointed. Star didn’t need her to say anything to know what the bird wanted. The spell would take the energy out of her, casting it straight instead of using the little enchantment she’d crafted into a sliver of crystal. But she hadn’t exactly been straining her magic today.

Her horn flashed, and suddenly the low hum of air from the opening in the ceiling went completely silent.

“They’ll know we’re doing this,” Star said. “If they’re listening. They won’t hear our breathing.”

Ginny shrugged, slumping sideways into bed. “That’s fine. We’ll just tell them we want some buckin’ privacy. For all the things we’re going to do in here.” She bounced up and down in bed, energetic enough to shake the floor. “You know what they’re expecting. Young couple like us, finally somewhere safe…”

She shoved at Ginny’s leg, pushing her away. “Very funny. Don’t even think about it.” She sat down on her haunches, appreciating the plush carpet. It was easily as soft as anything in the palace, though the color was a sandy brown not that different from the stone. “Nice place to live, though. How can they be so rich?”

“Blood money.” Ginny stretched out in bed, watching her. “Oh, we get a nice believable sob story when we arrive. It’s all about saving Equestria, look at our helpless little monster, isn’t it sad that he’s sick. The reality is, they’re desperate. Ponies like this give their services to whoever pays. The one thing they’ve got up on most of the country is that they don’t have any morals. Selling artifacts is really just the beginning.”

Star swallowed. That train of thought was easy to take to its conclusion. Of course Ginny was right. They’d do terrible, evil things. And the two of them would be the ones commanded to do them. They were the newest, so the worst missions would be theirs.

“What if they make us do that? What if they ask us to kill somepony?”

Ginny held out a claw. “I’ll do it. Don’t worry about not knowing how, Star. I’m what they call an expert.”

She shivered. No hesitation. The rebellion aren’t the only ones who will do anything for their cause. We have creatures like that too. And just like Stygian’s Gate, Geist was thrust into the shadows, a myth that was denied by some and feared by others. Above reproach—but his sins were known by all.

“We didn’t join to kill ponies who didn’t deserve it. We’re protecting Equestria. The princess was looking for the last source of Darktech—we found it. Their leader was giving it to them. She was right.”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Of course the princess was right. She wouldn’t have told you if she wasn’t sure.” But for all her skepticism, she seemed suddenly intense. Did you not know what this was really about? I thought I told you.

Star Orchid could only hope she was supposed to tell. The princess had already banished her, apparently without any crime. What would she do if Star failed her?

“Learning the Iron Lord exists is just the beginning,” Ginny said. “If we report back with this now, we… could lead the Unification Army here. But by the time they found their way through that maze, that creature might escape with his most loyal supporters. It would just flee to infect some other town. We need to learn how far this goes. Find the names of their operatives, where they’re stationed.

“Most importantly, we find where that creature is getting the Darktech, destroy it, and kill him. Then the princess can send in the guns and mop up whatever’s left.”

Those words should’ve filled her with relief and hope—they were so close! Soon Star would be going home, and this nightmare on the surface would finally be over! But the idea of the Unification Army marching through the castle blasting everything and everyone with a light lance hardly reassured her. Could they really kill some sickly monster, trapped in a wheelchair and harming nopony?

Ginny hopped out of bed, resting one claw on Star’s shoulder. “You’ve done tremendous work so far, Star Orchid. When we left Concord, I thought you were doomed. I didn’t think you’d be able to keep going a week without deserting into the hooves of some petty lordling. You’d trade yourself for comfort, and I’d be the one who had to put a dagger into your back for treason.”

She let go, grinning enthusiastically. “I couldn’t be happier to be wrong, Star. You’re a natural at this. I’m sure the princess will be happy to give you your spot back in her castle, when this is over. But your talents will be wasted there. You could be down here, seeing the world. Creating order from chaos. Bringing harmony wherever you visit. It’s a noble calling.”

Star laughed nervously, backing away. Her tail tucked between her legs, and her expression was grim. “That’s… very kind of you, Ginny. But uh… I don’t think that’s gonna happen. Even if it works, ponies are going to learn my face. I’m not like you, I only get to be a nobody once. I can’t come up with a new identity and start over.”

“You could.” She said it so casually, Star almost missed it. “You’re not like me now. But changelings aren’t like other creatures. We can… recruit.”

Star’s blood chilled, and she backed up all the way to the wall. Recruit. It was the same thing that the ancient, disharmonious bugs had done, long ago. Kidnapping creatures, draining them of their love, and leaving only husks like themselves.

“You can’t,” she said stubbornly. “That kind of changeling died out. You found a part in Harmony’s plan. You’re like us now.”

“I am,” Ginny said simply. “But Princess Twilight is a… pragmatic ruler, more than you probably think. She’s not one to casually discard her tools.” She took a few steps forward, advancing on Star. But before she reached her, she touched a claw to the button beside her, and the lights went out. “Just something to think about, Star. We still have to win.”

PreviousChapters Next