• Published 17th Aug 2012
  • 3,712 Views, 43 Comments

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Hooves - alexmagnet



Illegal cage matches, ass-kicking, and time-travel abound when Trixie returns to Ponyville.

  • ...
6
 43
 3,712

Get Ready to Rumble!

Chapter 2: Get Ready to Rumble

Beep, beep, beep. Beep, beep, beep. Beep, beep, beep.

Click.

Twilight's hoof slid off the alarm weakly as she struggled to wake up. She yawned and stretched her limbs before rolling out of bed and landing on the floor. Twilight shook her head, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. After another yawn she headed downstairs.

She sluggishly made her way to the kitchen, still yawning occasionally as she went. Squinty-eyed and half-asleep she opened the cupboards searching for the one thing she needed most right now.

“Ah, there it is,” she mumbled. Using her magic Twilight lifted the can of coffee beans off the shelf and set them on the counter. Popping open the lid she poured a few beans into the grinder. As it whirred away Twilight found herself wondering, “Where's Spike?” He was usually already up by now making breakfast or something, as per Twilight's orders.

The grinder slowed to halt, announcing its completion with a short beep, after which Twilight levitated the ground beans into the filter, and turned the coffee machine on. She stared absentmindedly at the pot, watching it slowly fill with rich black coffee. As she did her mind wandered to the previous night, and to Trixie.

“Trixie!” Twilight cried out as she suddenly snapped out of her trance, her eyes growing wide. Thoughts raced through her mind as she recalled everything that had happened. The cage match, the deed to her house, Pinkie's basement. Everything rushed back. “Crap.”

Twilight rushed out of the kitchen shouting, “Spike! Spike, where are you?” She was galloping through the main room when she tripped over something, flipping over. Twilight grunted as she hit the ground. “What the?” She turned her head to see what had caused her to fall. Lying on the ground moaning, was Spike. “Spike?” Twilight stared at him, confusion in her eyes. “Why are lying on the floor?” she asked as she disentangled herself from him.

Spike groaned as he rolled over, pushing himself to his feet. “Oh, my chest,” he whimpered. “Did you just trip over me?”

Disregarding Spike's accusation, Twilight stared seriously at Spike. “Spike, what happened yesterday?”

“You mean before or after Trixie cold-cocked me?” he said as he massaged his bruised stomach.

“So, that actually happened,” Twilight said, her voice dropping. “I hoped it was just a dream.”

“No such luck,” Spike said, lightly poking his chest. “I've got the bruise to prove it.”

“Damn.”

Twilight fell back on her haunches; the weight of the situation finally hit her full force. What had she gotten herself into?

“What have I gotten myself into?” she asked. Spike opened his mouth but after a second he closed it again, at a loss for words. Twilight looked at Spike, her gaze burning into his eyes. She stood up, her eyes blazing. “This is your fault,” she said, jabbing at Spike. “If you hadn't made me sign that stupid paper then I wouldn't have to fight Trixie!” she yelled, stepping closer to Spike as he backed away. “I can't beat her!” Twilight exclaimed. “She was varsity!”

Spike inched backwards, keeping his eyes on Twilight in case she decided to make a move and attack him. “Twilight,” he reasoned, “this isn't my fault. The only reason she came back was because of you. I didn't make her come back.” He tried to calm her down and force her to think rationally. “Do you honestly believe that if you hadn't signed that paper that she wouldn't have come up with some other ridiculous plan to force you to fight her?” he asked calmly, still backing away.

“I—I,” Twilight's eyes flickered back to normal briefly, she faltered in her advance. “I don't know,” she finally admitted. Twilight shook her head, her anger fading away. “I'm sorry, Spike. I know it's not your fault, I just don't know what to do,” she said, hanging her head.

Spike cautiously approached Twilight, taking care to keep his eyes fixated on her. He stood next to her and reached up, patting her on the head. “It's okay Twilight,” he said quietly. “I know you didn't mean it. You're just upset because Trixie is going to kick your ass,” he said comfortingly.

Twilight sniffled, raising her head to look at him. “Oh, shut up.”

BEEEEEEEEEP.

Twilight's ears perked up at the piercing sound. “That must be my coffee,” she said, leaving Spike standing alone as she went back to the kitchen. Spike stood there, unsure of what to say or do. From the main hall he could hear the sounds of Twilight pouring herself a cup of coffee. He heard the clinking of the ceramic on the counter top, the cascading of coffee into a cup, and finally, the chunk of the coffee pot being placed back into the machine. He waited. A few seconds later, Twilight walked out of the kitchen levitating a mug of coffee in front of her, stirring it as she went. Spike waited for her to say something but she just stood there with a vague smile on her face, her eyes staring into the coffee.

“Soooooo,” Spike said slowly.

“Hmm?” Twilight replied, not looking up.

“Anyways—”

“Oh right,” Twilight said as she blinked several times. “What were we talking about again?” she asked, looking at Spike.

Spike sighed, “Trixie, remember? The fight you guys have tonight?”

“Yes, about that. I've been thinking,” she said.

“You've been thinking?” Spike replied, arching his eyebrows.

“While making this coffee,” she said, lifting her mug a little higher and shaking it slightly. She took a sip of the coffee, a satisfied grin taking over her face.

“And?”

“And I thought that the best way to prepare would be to read a book on boxing.”

“But, I thought we didn't have any books about that?”

Twilight smiled and shook her head. “It's a library, Spike. I haven't read every book here... just most of them.” Careful not to lose control of her magic and spill her coffee, Twilight cantered over to a bookshelf slightly hidden beneath the stairs. Spike followed her movements with his eyes, his brow furrowed. “I keep all the books I haven't read yet back here,” she explained, her voice distant.

“How do you know you have a book on boxing back there?” Spike asked.

“I don't,” Twilight replied. “That's why I need you to shut up and help me.”

“Coming,” said Spike reluctantly. He strode over to where Twilight was currently disemboweling a bookshelf. Books flew everywhere as she glanced at different covers and, not finding anything useful, tossed them aside.

“No. Nope. Not this one. Maybe—no. Ooh what about this—damn.”

Spike watched as a flurry of pages flew past his face, nearly hitting him as they went. Twilight was furiously pulling books off the shelf and tossing them aside, or letting them fall haphazardly. Spike tried to get a little closer so he could help but a close call with Pride and Prejudice and Ponies caused him to re-strategize. Twilight looked like she was handling things pretty well anyways.

“Ah ha!” Twilight cried out suddenly, holding a book aloft. “I found one. It was next to Causality: What Is It? And Why Should I Care? and right behind Foreshadowing: A Beginner's Guide." She turned around triumphantly, holding above her head The Egghead's Guide to Boxing: Bare-Knuckle or Otherwise like it was the Holy Grail.

She laid the book on the ground face-up. She and Spike huddled over it, ready to see what knowledge lay inside. Twilight took another sip of her coffee and licked her lips. “Okay,” she said, “Let's see what this book can teach us.”

___

A pile of books tumbled to the floor, bending the pages and kicking up dust. Twilight rubbed her head and let out an exasperated sigh. “Come on, Twilight,” said Spike. “Let's try again.” He started gathering the books while Twilight gathered herself. Standing on her hind legs and magically levitating the books in a stack to her head, she balanced them and herself. The books stood precariously on her head, ready to fall at the slightest movement.

Twilight bit her lip, furrowing her brow in concentration. She teetered back and forth momentarily then righted herself. She grinned, this was easy. “Whoa!” Thud, thud, thud.

Twilight, and the stack of books, fell in a pile on the floor. “Dammit!” she shouted as she lay on the ground. Gritting her teeth, she complained, “Why is this so hard?” She angrily swatted at The Maltese Pony, sending it spinning across the floor.

The book slid right into Spike's feet. He bent down and picked it up, looking at the cover. “The book said that most important part of boxing was being able to stand on your hind legs.” He looked at Twilight pleadingly. “I've seen you do it before,” he said as he carried the book over to Twilight and helped her up. “It's not that hard. Look at me,” he said, pointing at himself. “I do it all the time.”

“It's not the same,” Twilight complained. “I can't stand like that for very long.” She sighed, “Let's just try again.” Standing up on her hind legs, Twilight balanced the books on her head, preparing herself for the trial.

“You love books, Twilight,” Spike said. “This should come naturally to you.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow, looking incredulously at Spike. “That doesn't even make sense,” she muttered.

She shook her head at Spike, causing the books to become dislodged and sending them to the floor. “Gah! Shut up, Spike! You made me drop the books again,” she said as she waved her hooves around angrily.

“Why don't we just come back to this part later?” suggested Spike. He grabbed The Egghead's Guide to Boxing and flipped to the next chapter. Twilight sat with her arms crossed, stewing in her anger. “Chapter 2: The Anatomy of a Punch,” Spike read. He turned the book so Twilight could see. “You could do this,” he said, pointing at a picture of a pony practicing on a punching bag.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Fine, whatever.”

___

One trip to the gym and several hours later, Twilight and Spiked were walking home, sore, tired, and twenty bits poorer.

“Well that sucked,” Spike declared. “We spent twenty bits and over an hour just signing up for that stupid gym.”

“Yeah,” agreed Twilight. “And when we finally got inside they didn't even have any punching bags,” she said, angrily kicking at the ground. “Let's just go home.”

Spike opened The Egghead's Guide to Boxing again and thumbed to the next chapter. “Why don't we try Chapter 3: T—”

“No!” shouted Twilight, snatching the book from Spike. “This book is useless!” she exclaimed as she tossed the book into a nearby trash can. “We've been training all day,” she said. “It's probably almost time for us to meet Trixie anyways.”

Spike pointed at the clock in the center of town. “It's not even close,” he said. “It's only 10:47... in the morning.”

“That probably explains why it's light outside still,” Twilight said, looking up at the sky. “Screw this. I'm going home,” she announced.

“To practice some more?” asked Spike.

Twilight laughed, “I don't think a couple more hours of training are going to help me any. I'm going to read a book, or take a nap,” she said. “Maybe both? Either way, I'm done with this. I'll fight Trixie tonight and I'll win no matter what.”

“Bu—”

“Just because she's been doing this for much longer than me does not mean that Trixie will beat me. I'll just magically enhance my hooves to beat her,” she smirked. “That ought to show her.”

“Twilight, I think that's chea—”

“Oh, shut up. What do you know?” She made an about-face and began walking back to the library. Calling back to Spike she said, “Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to go finish Michael Moorhoove's Behold the Pony.”

Spike watched her walk away in silence. “This won't end well.”

____

Seven-hundred and seventy-eight minutes later Twilight and Spike found themselves, once again, standing outside Sugar Cube Corner. Twilight stood completely still, she didn't know what to say. Spike stood next to her, looking into the window of the empty pastry shop. He stepped up to the window and peered inside. Squinting, he could see a faint light coming from the staircase leading to the basement.

“It's a good thing we came fifteen minutes early,” he said as he scanned the bakery. Twilight broke her thousand mile stare and watched Spike as he turned back around. “I'm pretty sure she's already down there,” he said pointing a finger over his shoulder.

“She lives here, idiot,” Twilight sighed. “Remember?”

“Oh... yeah,” Spike said, scratching his head.

“Let's just go inside.” Twilight motioned to the door, as Spike opened it for her.

As they stepped inside they could begin to hear the faint sounds of ponies cheering and what sounded like a microphone. “What the—”

Twilight was interrupted by Pinkie Pie bouncing in front of her.

“Hi, Twilight!” she exclaimed. Twilight jumped back, startled.

“Don't do that, Pinkie!”

Pinkie giggled in response. She grabbed Twilight by the hoof and began pulling her towards the basement steps, Spike following behind them. “Come one,” she said as she dragged Twilight. “Trixie is waiting downstairs.” Twilight allowed herself to be led into the dim basement. As they approached the end of the staircase she could hear the cheering growing louder, and a voice she knew she recognized coming from a microphone. Two voices she recognized actually, no, three.

Spike, who was walking behind Twilight and Pinkie, recognized the voices as well and he hurried to catch up with Twilight. “Twilight, I think that's—”

“Yeah, I'm pretty sure it is.”

Pinkie bounced down the stairs, waving for Twilight and Spike to follow her. As they descended into the basement for the second, and hopefully last, time Twilight swallowed the lump in her throat. Spike patted her side saying, “Good luck.” Taking a deep breath, Twilight plunged into the dimly lit room running headlong into another pony.

He grunted as Twilight plowed into him, nearly knocking him over. “You again? Watch where you're walking,” he warned, pushing her away. Twilight, helped by Spike, stood up, shaking the stars out of her vision. She looked around the room. There were ponies everywhere: all of them were looking at the center of the room where a steel cage had been erected. Its chain link walls now contained two ponies: One of them was Trixie, the other she didn't recognize. He was three times her size, with a brown coat and a black mane. Even from there she could tell he was bulging with muscles.

He and Trixie danced around each other, shuffling their feet as needed to adjust to the other pony's position. The large pony took a swing at Trixie, but she anticipated it and ducked the blow. Weaving forward, she launched out a quick jab with her left hoof and caused the stallion to recoil. Shaking his head and snorting, he lunged at Trixie swinging his hooves wildly. Trixie smirked, as she side-stepped and caused the massive pony to crash into the cage wall, dazing him. She let him regain his footing, watching with that arrogant smile of hers.

Rage filled the mammoth pony's eyes as he took another swing at Trixie, then another, then another. She just ducked and weaved through everything he threw at her, all the while smirking and snickering. She was just toying with him. She was running him along like a dog on a leash. She was completely in control.

The bulky earth pony was wearing himself out. His swings were becoming weaker and weaker, and his aim was getting worse. Trixie wasn't even dodging anymore, she stood just out of reach of his hooves and let him beat himself. Finally, she saw the perfect opening. Ducking her way through one particularly erratic swing, she swooped in and delivered a devastating corkscrew punch directly into his rib cage. He stumbled backwards, coughing up blood. Trixie smiled.

She took another step forward. Cocking her right hoof back and down she launched it directly into the huge pony's jaw, lifting him into the air. When he hit the ground he was out cold, knocked unconscious by the sheer force of Trixie's uppercut. Twilight's jaw dropped.

“Oh, and Handsome Henry goes down!” shouted a voice.

“Ah'm sure he'll be feeling that in the morning!” joked a second.

“And Trixie remains undefeated!” yelled a third.

As Twilight attempted to pick up the remains of her confidence, and her jaw, Spike jumped back. Out of nowhere Pinkie was standing next to them again. “Pinkie! What did I tell you literally two minutes ago?” scolded Twilight.

Pinkie just giggled, as usual, and said, “How do you like my decorating?”

“It's uhh, impressive,” said Twilight, dumbfounded.

Pinkie chuckled and led Twilight away from the crowd pulling her towards the announcer's booth, in this case a cardboard box with the word 'Announcer(s)' written on it. Standing behind the box, a microphone placed in front of them, were three ponies.

“Scootaloo? Sweetie Belle? Apple... Blossom?”

“Bloom.”

“Whatever. What are you girls doing here?”

The three of them looked at each other and in unison shouted, “Cutie Mark Crusaders: Emcees!”

Twilight cleared her throat and said, “So let me get this straight, you girls are trying to get your cutie marks... in illegal cage match hosting?”

They nodded.

Shaking her head, Twilight asked them, “You said Trixie remained undefeated right?”

“Yeah!” replied Scootaloo. “She's won every match.”

“Uhuh,” continued Sweetie Belle. “She's really really good!”

“How many matches is that, exactly?” asked Twilight.

“Thirty-six,” answered Apple Bloom.

“Thirty-six!” Twilight shouted.

“That's right, Sparkle. And you will be thirty-seven,” declared Trixie from behind Twilight. She sauntered past, flicking her tail in Twilight's face as she went. Smirking, Trixie began unwrapping the bandages on her hooves. She bit the loose end and pulled, letting the wrappings undo themselves. She finished one hoof and then moved to the other, as she did Twilight noticed that bandages were flecked with blood and they were heavily frayed, evidence of her previous bouts. After she spit them on the ground Trixie looked up at Twilight, an arrogant smug on her face.

“Trixie, I thought this was just going to be a one-on-one fight between me and you,” Twilight muttered. “What are all these other ponies doing here?” she asked, waving her hoof across the sea of ponies filling Pinkie's basement.

“Clearly you do not know Trixie very well,” Trixie retorted. “Are you so ignorant as to believe that she would pass up the opportunity to humiliate you in front of a crowd, just like you did to her?” She turned her head to look at the three fillies sitting behind the cardboard box. “You there, pegasus, fetch Trixie's hat and cape for her, and fetch some more bandages while you're at it,” she snapped.

Scootaloo pointed at herself, “Me?” Trixie nodded. She began frantically searching around for Trixie's effects. She lifted the box, hoping they would be hidden underneath. Trixie rolled her eyes.

“Trixie's belongings are in the back,” she said, indicating the direction Scootaloo needed to go. Turning back to face Twilight, Trixie muttered under her breath, “Fools.” Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom looked eagerly at Trixie.

“Do you need me to do anything?” asked Sweetie Belle anxiously.

“What about me?” interjected Apple Bloom. “Ah'm real good at fetching stuff.”

Trixie dismissed them with a wave of her hoof. “Go help your little friend,” she said. “The sooner she gets back the sooner we can start.” They took off running, eager to please such a great and powerful pony. “By the way, dragon,” Trixie said suddenly, turning to Spike. “I never thanked you for your help. If you hadn't gotten that detestable mare's signature this plan never would have worked,” she cackled.

Twilight looked down at Spike, the fire from before rekindled. “I knew this was your fault,” she hissed.

“Why, Trixie believes that she is in your debt,” Trixie continued. “In fact, Trixie is so grateful that she would like to make you an offer.”

Spike arched his eyebrows. “You want to make me an offer?”

Trixie nodded. “When Trixie bests Twilight Sparkle in the cage and she takes her home away you will be without a home as well, correct?” Spike just stared wide-eyed and open-mouthed at Trixie. “Trixie will allow you to stay at the library if you promise to become her slave and serve her as loyally as you serve your current master,” she continued.

Spike tried to say something but no words came out. He looked to Twilight for help but she just ignored him. “I don't know, Trixie,” Spike finally replied. “I mean, Twilight and I—”

“Miss Trixie!” called three little voices, interrupting Spike.

“We found your hat and cape!” said Apple Bloom excitedly, indicating herself and Sweetie Belle.

“Oh oh, and I found new bandages!” Scootaloo added, jumping up and down equally excited.

“Excellent work,” Trixie said looking at them fondly. “Now be gone,” she demanded, her fondness disappearing in an instant. “Trixie must prepare.” Snatching her belongings from them and grabbing the bandages in her mouth, she trotted away.

“Let's go, Twilight,” Spike suggested. “You need to prepare too.”

Twilight breathed a heavy sigh and began walking away, towards the cage, and her certain defeat.

“Wait!” cried Scootaloo. “I forgot to give you these,” she said as she pulled out another roll of bandages. Twilight looked down at the bandages Scootaloo was offering to her, she smiled.

“Thanks,” she said softly. Twilight bent down and took the wrappings in her mouth. Nodding her thanks, she turned away and followed Spike towards the steel monster erected in center of the basement.

As Twilight worked her way through the crowd she could hear Pinkie Pie's voice shouting above all the rest. “Taking all bets!” she yelled. “The next match is Trixie, who has remained undefeated all night, versus Twilight Sparkle!” Ponies were clamoring for her attention, waving their bits in the air, calling out the bets they wanted to make. Pinkie stood on a pile of boxes overlooking the crowd. She had a pile of bits behind her from all the previous bets and she had begun making a new pile on a table placed in front of her. Next to her stood a chalkboard with odds written on it. She was pointing at it while speaking to the crowd, “I've got a thousand to one in favor of Trixie. You make a bet of one bit on Twilight Sparkle you get one thousand bits back,” she explained. “If she wins.”

Twilight pushed past the crowd and approached Pinkie's table. “Pinkie, what the hell? You're taking bets on our match?”

Pinkie jumped down from the pile of boxes and smiled at Twilight. “Of course, silly. How else am I supposed to pay my rent?”

Twilight started to reply with exactly how Pinkie could pay her rent when she was interrupted by a microphone.

“Would Twilight Sparkle please enter the cage? The match is about to begin.”

“Oh, crap,” Twilight grumbled. She grabbed Spike and forced her way back through the betting crowd and towards the cage. As she got nearer she could see Trixie had already entered. She had seated herself in a corner and she was busy wrapping her hooves in fresh bandages. As Twilight teleported herself into the ring Trixie looked up from her wrapping.

“Trixie wants fresh bandages for this fight. That way only your blood will be on them,” she said menacingly. Twilight gulped. She looked back at Spike who was standing with his claws gripped on the cage walls and staring at Twilight.

“Spike, I'm beginning to think I should've trained more,” she said nervously.

“You think?” Spike pulled out a roll of bandages, “Here, you dropped these,” he said. Twilight reached out and grabbed them, cradling them in her hooves. She grabbed the loose end and magically adhered it to her right hoof. Then, she began rolling the wrappings around her hoof, making sure to cover everything. Once she was satisfied she bit off the bandage and tucked it into a fold. She did the same with her left hoof. Meanwhile Trixie, who was now wearing her hat and cape again, had begun pacing back and forth, waiting for Twilight to finish.

Once Twilight was done wrapping her hooves she handed the roll back to Spike, then she stepped into the center of the cage and waited for Trixie to meet her. Trixie stepped forward, swishing her cape as she went. She stood up on her hind legs and removed her hat, tossing it to the side. She then unfastened her cape and tossed it aside as well.

“Did you put your clothes back on, just so you could dramatically take them off?” chuckled Twilight.

“Trixie doubts that you will be laughing once our match starts,” Trixie replied haughtily.

Twilight stood up on her hind legs as well, wobbly though she was. She struggled to keep her balance. Twilight's horn began to glow a reddish-purple as she started to channel magic into her hooves.

Seeing this Trixie exclaimed, “There is no magic allowed! You must fight using only the strength of your body, not your mind.”

Twilight broke her spell and replied, “But, you never said—”

“Did Trixie not mention it? She is sure that she did. If you use magic in any way, then you forfeit the match,” Trixie explained.

“Damn,” Twilight mumbled.

“I told you,” Spike whispered.

“Oh, shut up.”

Suddenly, the sound of several ponies arguing filled the room. From the microphone Twilight could hear the three fillies fighting.

“I wanted to say it!”

“No, I did!”

“Ah'm gonna say it!”

Everyone looked over to the announcer's table where the three fillies were wrestling for control of the microphone. Twilight and Trixie watched in silence, mouths hanging open. Finally, Scootaloo came out victorious and she held the microphone above her head as she floated slightly off the ground, just out of reach.

Taking a deep breath, she yelled into the microphone, “Let's get ready to rrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuummmmbbbbllllleeeeee!”

Ding ding!

The sound of a bell ringing announced the start of the fight. Twilight was caught off guard as Trixie took a swing at her. Somehow she was able to dodge in time, just barely avoiding being knocked out in the first seconds. As Twilight jumped back, Trixie did as well. They eyed each other, circling around, looking for an opening. As they danced around each other Twilight noticed for the first time just how muscular Trixie was. She may not have been as noticeably buff as the large earth pony from before, but she was certainly fit to say the least. Twilight guessed that a life on the road had allowed her to become quite lean while still remaining incredibly strong.

Trixie's muscles were taut as she swayed back and forth, her hooves held in front of her face. She was a coiled spring, waiting to be released. Twilight, on the other hand, was more like a slinky. She knew she was in trouble. Twilight reasoned that the only chance she would have would be to take out Trixie quickly, try and catch her off guard by being very aggressive. She was sure that Trixie's stamina far out matched her own, so if this fight dragged on for too long then she was screwed.

Twilight lunged forward, swinging her right hoof from underneath her. Trixie, not expecting Twilight to be so aggressive, was only just able to dodge the blow. However, the swing had left Twilight wide open and Trixie took advantage of it. She launched a quick right hook into Twilight's ribs, causing her to stumble backwards. Trixie did not want the match to end too quickly, so she did not hit with her full strength. Though it was enough to cause Twilight to crash into the cage wall and cough up some blood.

“Oh! And a nice right hook from Trixie!” announced Scootaloo.

“She really took advantage of that opening,” added Apple Bloom.

As Twilight sat against the chain-link wall, breathing heavily, Spike reached through the chains and wiped Twilight's brow. “I should've warned you,” he said, “she's got a mean right hook.” Spike rubbed his bruised stomach. “Now get back out there!” Spike cried as he pushed Twilight back into the middle. She staggered forward, putting her hooves back up. Trixie was waiting patiently, her eyes gleamed with excitement.

Trixie stepped forward and Twilight followed suit. They danced around each other, neither willing to commit to anything. Trixie made a weak jab and Twilight jumped back, causing it to miss. She retaliated with her own jab which Trixie parried, knocking it away with her hoof.

“It seems like the two them just don't want to commit,” said Sweetie Belle.

“Somepony hit somepony!” shouted Scootaloo.

Twilight, distracted by the announcing, didn't see Trixie's uppercut coming until the last moment. She had just enough time to move her head to the side and cause Trixie to miss. At that moment Twilight noticed an opening. After Trixie had missed she had left her right side completely open to attack. Twilight used this opportunity and shot her left hoof out, delivering a quick cross punch to Trixe's ribs.

“Twilight managed to land a hit!” cried Apple Bloom.

Trixie wavered, but did not fall back or stumble. She tossed her mane back, out of her eyes, and she spit on the ground, a little blood was left on her lips. “Is that the best Celestia's student can offer?” she mocked. Trixie wiped her mouth, looking at the blood left on her bandages. “You actually made Trixe bleed, impressive. But, you will never defeat The Great and Powerful Trixie!” she exclaimed as she lurched forward taking wild swings at Twilight.

Twilight didn't know what to do; she held her hooves up, defending herself as best she could from the blows. Trixie kept the attack coming, punching Twilight over and over again, ignoring her own defense. Trixie finally cocked her right hoof back, ready to take one big swing. As she did Twilight's eyes lit up. Trixie was so focused on winding up her punch she didn’t notice that her chest was left completely unguarded. Twilight knew this might be her only chance, so she took it. She put all of her strength into one punch aimed squarely at Trixie’s undefended midsection.

As the punch flew at Trixie she smirked, dodging it easily. Twilight was confused, she looked around for Trixie, but she had seemingly disappeared. Then suddenly, Trixie came in from Twilight's left side, jabbing her in ribs. Twilight took the full brunt of the attack and she coughed, spitting up more blood. Trixie stepped closer, not even bothering to hold up her hooves anymore. She looked Twilight in the eye and smiled, taking another jab at her stomach.

Twilight slammed into the cage wall. She could barely stand, the only thing holding her up was the wall. She coughed up more blood, Trixie sneered. “Yes, that's right,” she said contemptuously. “You played right into Trixie's hooves.” She laughed maniacally. Twilight, unable to say anything, just stared confusedly at Trixie. “That was just a feint,” she explained, “and you fell for it.” Trixie's smirk grew as she stepped forward. She jabbed again at Twilight's stomach, and then again, and again. Twilight slumped to the ground, still coughing up more blood. Trixie reached down and picked her up with her hooves, holding her up so Twilight could look right in her eyes.

“How does it feel,” she asked, “to be so thoroughly beaten?” Trixie chuckled, holding Twilight's head in her hooves, staring into her eyes.

“I win.”

Trixie cocked her head back then shot forward, delivering a devastating headbutt. The force of it dropped Twilight to the ground. As she fell Twilight saw Trixie's smirking face standing over her laughing, then she hit the ground. Blackness overtook her.

Trixie held her hooves in the air triumphantly. “Trixie is the winner!” yelled all three announcer's at once. Everyone in the room cheered for Trixie as she stood in the center of the cage shaking her up-stretched hooves. Everyone except for Spike.

Twilight lay sprawled out right in front of him. He looked down at her unconscious form silently, grinning just a little.

“You deserved that.”